• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

JSnake

Slightly related question what the earlier guy asked... Is the game newbie friendly? Also is it conducive to a Halo esque playstyle?

BeeDog

JSnake said:
Slightly related question what the earlier guy asked... Is the game newbie friendly? Also is it conducive to a Halo esque playstyle?

From the little I've played of Halo 3 (almost only locally vs. my cousin), no, they aren't that similar. At least based on the maps I played in Halo 3 (which were often wide open with vehicles to boot), Killzone 2 is radically different. I'd say it's more like CoD4, with small touches of Gears of War or whatever. The maps are more confined, and some are almost maze-like, and since the game is slower and more methodical you definitely need to apply a certain kind of tactics to even have a chance of succeeding. The game has a slight learning curve, and when I played online it took a short while before I could hold my own, so it's a 5 or 6 on the noob-friendliness scale (out of 10). :p

JSnake

OK, that's fine. I guess what I meant is can a big deathmatch get in on KZ2? From what I've seen, it looks a lot more tactical than what I'm used to. I can deal though.

Kittonwy

Banned
JSnake said:

What iz ur playstyle, u tellz me and I'd tell u whether it's conducive or not.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
JSnake said:
OK, that's fine. I guess what I meant is can a big deathmatch get in on KZ2? From what I've seen, it looks a lot more tactical than what I'm used to. I can deal though.

They have one game type called bodycount that is pure team deathmatch.

JSnake

Kittonwy said:
What iz ur playstyle, u tellz me and I'd tell u whether it's conducive or not.
Indifferent2.gif

Well I like to be in the heat of things. I like being the one racking up kills and getting right into the dirty action. I don't rush in or anything, I just like to shoot. A lot. :)

borsdy

Banned
I have a big problem.

I like to play in rooms that hold 6-8 people so I use the Small room search filter. Finding good 3v3 or 4v4 all gamemode public games is hard most nights but I get lucky sometimes. Unfortunately there is this one character that likes to play games of this size too and he has to be the most obnoxious freak I've ever possibly met online.

This man who plays very regularly is just offensive and very annoying, I can mute him but of course I can't talk to my teammates because if they aren't yelling at him then this guy is just plugging up the voice chat window with his shit constantly. I really don't know what to do, he just ruins mine and everyone's game when he grants us with his presence.

borsdy said:
I have a big problem.

I like to play in rooms that hold 6-8 people so I use the Small room search filter. Finding good 3v3 or 4v4 all gamemode public games is hard most nights but I get lucky sometimes. Unfortunately there is this one character that likes to play games of this size too and he has to be the most obnoxious freak I've ever possibly met online.

This man who plays very regularly is just offensive and very annoying, I can mute him but of course I can't talk to my teammates because if they aren't yelling at him then this guy is just plugging up the voice chat window with his shit constantly. I really don't know what to do, he just ruins mine and everyone's game when he grants us with his presence.

Setup up a squad and invite your friends/other players to the squad. The other guy won't be able to hear you and you won't hear him. Unless you're standing next to each other of course.

borsdy said:
I have a big problem.

If you find him on your "Recently Met" list, I believe you can block him. However, I'm not exactly sure what that translates to in game, if anything.

Yeah, as the poster above said, just mute the guy if he's on your team or even report him for offensive conduct via the scoreboard -> square. The mods on the game are actually pretty good, I've got a couple of people banned for glitching etc.

-viper-

Banned
JSnake said:
Well I like to be in the heat of things. I like being the one racking up kills and getting right into the dirty action. I don't rush in or anything, I just like to shoot. A lot. :)
That happens all the time in Killzone 2. Especially if you play with 20 players or more.

For complete mayhem, 32p games are your friends :p

Fiftyeight

Neo Member
So glad this week is almost over.

I'm going for my 1% trophy. I'm currently around rank 620 and as of now need to be within the top 1200 for the week. I've racked up just under 8000 points so far, and I am absolutely sick of Killzone kids shouting "bitch!" before capping me while I'm mortally wounded.

ZeroRay

Just got back into the game after buying the latest 2 map packs. I must say, the no invincibility spawn makes the game play a lot better.

I was thinking about getting the map bundle just now.. I was pretty into the multiplayer when it came out and I'd love to come back for a bit.
Are all of the DLC maps played on regulary? Is it possible to find enough games being played? (Especially games with 16-20 players?)

ZeroRay

YianGaruga said:
I was thinking about getting the map bundle just now.. I was pretty into the multiplayer when it came out and I'd love to come back for a bit.
Are all of the DLC maps played on regulary? Is it possible to find enough games being played? (Especially games with 16-20 players?)

Yeah, there are usually one or two open rooms that meet your criteria every time I log on. Right now I'm exclusively playing the new maps so I can get my money's worth on them
and get all the trophies.

Fiftyeight said:
So glad this week is almost over.

I'm going for my 1% trophy. I'm currently around rank 620 and as of now need to be within the top 1200 for the week. I've racked up just under 8000 points so far, and I am absolutely sick of Killzone kids shouting "bitch!" before capping me while I'm mortally wounded.

Then mute them.

I'll be getting back to it and will get the bundle after I fix my internet here, will probably be by Friday or maybe in about 10 days, you can add me on PSN if you want kittonwy, I can't promise I'll play everyday like you guys but once or twice a week, PSN - ThreeLeggedFreak

Kittonwy

Banned
GG icechai Lemm spartan, some doofus kept throwing spawns facing the wrong way on Corrinth River, it was great that we pulled off a 4-3 win on the last mission despite the fuck-ups.
Indifferent2.gif

icechai

Kittonwy said:
GG icechai Lemm spartan, some doofus kept throwing spawns facing the wrong way on Corrinth River, it was great that we pulled off a 4-3 win on the last mission despite the fuck-ups.
Indifferent2.gif

after you left we played against someone who was godly with the shotgun, although if we weren't outnumbered we might have had a better chance :p

TheFatOne

icechai said:
after you left we played against someone who was godly with the shotgun, although if we weren't outnumbered we might have had a better chance :p

Was his name Lyulf because that guy is a beast

Muffinman

Banned
borsdy said:
I have a big problem.

Vote to kick him? :D

Hey all, Im new to neogaf! First post. Before i continue, i read the FAQs as stated i should. this is a very strict site and i am going to follow the rules. However, this statement confused me: "FIRST POST (Hardcore bannable) Posting in a legendary thread!! (sometimes bannable!) and other obnoxious forum memes'. I apologize greatly if posting in a big thread like this is bannable but , i dont understand what was said in that rule, if that me posting for the first time in a big thread was bannable or posting a meme was bannable.. Again if its bannable, please dont ban me, i just didnt understand exactly what it was saying. Now that thats out of the way:

Im a HUGE Killzone 2 fan. I was in many clans, Kings of destruction, formerly #1 clan, avengers, #20 and now im in the #11 clan. I always bought the DLC on day one, and am in love with this game. I look for forward to gaming with gaffers, seems like a good community.

Close. so i guess thats why someone put the prince gif lol. So what would be considered a legendary thread? the halo 3 and mgs4 one i assume? But this thread got alot of damn views, 4 million!

JSnake

damaster129 said:
Close. so i guess thats why someone put the prince gif lol. So what would be considered a legendary thread? the halo 3 and mgs4 one i assume? But this thread got alot of damn views, 4 million!
The rule doesn't mean you get banned for making a post in a "legendary thread." It means if you literally post the words "posting in a legendary thread," you'll get banned.

Finally got around to playing Killzone 2. Here's my impressions thus far of the Campaign. I'm up to the level where you help Evelyn or whatever. Haven't started that level yet.

- The graphics and animations are down right amazing. Seriously, I'm not even going to bother to say this is one of the best looking games this generation. It IS the best looking game this generation.
- I've never been a fan of the PlayStation controller, but I really don't like the controls much at all.
- The battles are intense, and haven't got repetitive yet which is a good sign.
- The weapons are all pretty cool. The ones I've used so far that is.
- The field of view/vision is WAY too small. It has been bothering me all the way through the game, but the flaw shined during the ATAC fight. I constantly lost track of where it was because of the tiny FoV.

Overall I'm definitely enjoying it, but as I said, I really don't like the controls at all, and the small field of vision hurts a bit.

JoJo13

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Finally got around to playing Killzone 2. Here's my impressions thus far of the Campaign. I'm up to the level where you help Evelyn or whatever. Haven't started that level yet.

- The graphics and animations are down right amazing. Seriously, I'm not even going to bother to say this is one of the best looking games this generation. It IS the best looking game this generation.
- I've never been a fan of the PlayStation controller, but I really don't like the controls much at all.
- The battles are intense, and haven't got repetitive yet which is a good sign.
- The weapons are all pretty cool. The ones I've used so far that is.
- The field of view/vision is WAY too small. It has been bothering me all the way through the game, but the flaw shined during the ATAC fight. I constantly lost track of where it was because of the tiny FoV.

Overall I'm definitely enjoying it, but as I said, I really don't like the controls at all, and the small field of vision hurts a bit.

Did you download the patch and enable high precision controls?

icechai

ToyMachine228 said:

think the field of vision makes it more personal and lets you notice the details a bit more. Also it makes more sense how people can kind of sneak behind you.

Before i go on, can someone tell me how to quote someone , thanks.
The thing with killzone 2 is, it probably wasnt a monster hit as sony intended. This is what happened. Many people go out and buy killzone 2 the day it comes out due to word of mouth, internet hype, etc. Most of these people that buy it are cod fans. They play the first level, say, ew these controls suck! Dont even play mulitplayer for more than a game. Im serious, i have a about 5 friends like this. I actually met a kid who told me this "Yeah dude that game sucks, i bought it the first day, couldnt even finish the first level because of the crappy controls and brought it back to gamestop that first day".

And after guerilla put in high precision, it was too late and everyone had already went back to cod. Im not calling cod fans noobs as most gamers do own cod4 and w@w, but seriously, to not adjust to different more realistic movement really pisses me off and shows how nooby so many gamers are, and how spoiled they are by the easiness of cods gameplay.

Just to let you know, the home page of killzone.com is accurate, and i checked one day to see how many people were logged on, only slightly over 2,000. And socom always has around 8,000-11,000, and cod always has anywhere from 20,000-90,000 on psn at any given time. once MW2 comes, killzone 2, resistance, cod4, and W@w are going to be ghost towns, where as modern warfare 2 servers are going to crash on both xbl and psn due to extreme trahpic and record breaking amounts of people logging on simulaneously.

Kittonwy

Banned
Btw gg guyz, it's good to have enough people for a couple of squads, kudos to the dudes on the other team who stuck around in that last game even though we were kicking their asses.
Indifferent2.gif

thuway

damaster129 said:
Before i go on, can someone tell me how to quote someone , thanks.
The thing with killzone 2 is, it probably wasnt a monster hit as sony intended. This is what happened. Many people go out and buy killzone 2 the day it comes out due to word of mouth, internet hype, etc. Most of these people that buy it are cod fans. They play the first level, say, ew these controls suck! Dont even play mulitplayer for more than a game. Im serious, i have a about 5 friends like this. I actually met a kid who told me this "Yeah dude that game sucks, i bought it the first day, couldnt even finish the first level because of the crappy controls and brought it back to gamestop that first day".

And after guerilla put in high precision, it was too late and everyone had already went back to cod. Im not calling cod fans noobs as most gamers do own cod4 and w@w, but seriously, to not adjust to different more realistic movement really pisses me off and shows how nooby so many gamers are, and how spoiled they are by the easiness of cods gameplay.

Just to let you know, the home page of killzone.com is accurate, and i checked one day to see how many people were logged on, only slightly over 2,000. And socom always has around 8,000-11,000, and cod always has anywhere from 20,000-90,000 on psn at any given time. once MW2 comes, killzone 2, resistance, cod4, and W@w are going to be ghost towns, where as modern warfare 2 servers are going to crash on both xbl and psn due to extreme trahpic and record breaking amounts of people logging on simulaneously.

I love the game, but really this should send a wake up call to Guerilla and Sony in general.

Why is there no party / matchmaking system? Why haven't Rocket Launchers been removed yet? How can you ship a game with controls that are universally flamed on?

JoJo13

Banned
thuway said:
I love the game, but really this should send a wake up call to Guerilla and Sony in general.

Why is there no party / matchmaking system? Why haven't Rocket Launchers been removed yet? How can you ship a game with controls that are universally flamed on?

And yet, the game has universall acclaim from critics and fans.

Look; all games have their shortcomings and issues. KZ2 is no different.

Do I wish they had made it easier to find games that play well with the proper number of people on certain maps? Do I wish that there was a party system, matchmaking, a skill system, and more unlockables to give it more longevity? Absolutely. But then I could also talk about all the things that KZ2 does right that other shooters get wrong, and it'd be a much bigger list.

Even as it stands, it's my favorite shooter this gen. They just have a decent amount to improve upon for the next game.

I think your wrong. I feel Killzone has reached a persistent dedicated community. Call of duty players will be the ones making the jump.

ZeroRay

The weekly player count has been a little over 100k for the past 3 months so I suppose that's gonna be the community until the next game comes out.

my first question to thuway is where is your avatar from?

Secondly i agree with everyone here, they all have valid points. Matchmaking is must. Who has always seens hundreds of retarded, 30 minute across the board games, for every mission, with 32 players? Well im pretty sure thats everyone. All i want is 16 player or 24 players ( depending on map), all 5 minute mission warzone, with vc9 disabled. Thats it. The assault class itself is fine with the heavier, slower shooting rocket. yeah killzone 2 has a hardcore fanbase, as does socom, both of which will never abandon the game. But killzone 2 numbers could have been much better. Btw my avatar isnt taken by anyone on these forums, or isnt violating any rules right? i just uploaded it

Top Bottom