• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

F#A#Oo

Banned
mr_nothin said:
It's not just the pre-hype that makes COD4 'overhyped'.

I'm guessing he means overrated. COD4 is hailed as the perfect fps that all other games should follow. The game has great features that make the experience very smooth but the actual gameplay isnt all that great. Everytime a new fps comes out....people try it for a 1 level or just an hour and then say...this is lame....it's not like COD4....I'm going back to COD4.

Gameplay isn't all that great? So people just stare at pixels all day and don't have fun playing CoD4? If the gameplay isn't all that great people wouldn't be playing it PERIOD...:lol

brandumpling said:
Pyrhus is great as long as you have good tacticians
word, but who ever didnt buy dlc 3 you gotta get it. Suljevas environment looks like a clone of pyrus/nuke map, but arctowers graphics are amazing, and the boltgun only adds to the fun

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
test_account said:
Why worse? I know that it is a matter of taste though, but i am just wondering :)

Personally i think that Radec Academy is one of the best maps in Killzone 2 because the map is small, so i dont have walk or run too much before i meet up with the enemy, and i also like the lighting in the level.

you play 100% bodycount, don't you?

venom2124

damaster129 said:
Honestly if sites like gametrailers give mw2 goty over killzone 2 and uncharted 2, thats straight up bias. Uncharted 2 so deserves it, i can say this with confidence from playing the beta

Perhaps you should wait until you have actually played all goty contenders before saying Uncharted 2 deserves it. I believe it will be a fantastic game, but giving it goty for a beta? Jumping the gun a bit.

mr_nothin

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
Gameplay isn't all that great? So people just stare at pixels all day and don't have fun playing CoD4? If the gameplay isn't all that great people wouldn't be playing it PERIOD...:lol
There's a difference between MY opinion and FACT.
Fact is...is that people have different opinions.

MY opinion is that COD4's gameplay isnt all that great...therefore it's a bit overrated. But I can't overlook it's features and ease of use.

agaru

brandumpling said:
Pyrhus is great as long as you have good tacticians
Yeah, Pyrrhus can easily turn into a complete boredom/frustration with no good tacticians. The boost ability is very useful too in that map.

Nafai1123

Banned
just bought the 3 dlc map pack and i must say that the new maps are pretty fucking awesome. Beach head is just amazing looking with the wind and rain. :D

As much as I complained about Radec Academy, it's growing one me. Either way, I like playing in small maps. I like finding matches with just Blood, Tharsis, and Radec.

Melfice7 said:
dude.. i get shotgun'd from 5 meters away with 1 shot.. not even on head thats just overpower
All the weapons have a longer effective range than you'd expect. You can kill people from 100 meters away with the standard rifle, and from 50 with the magnum, or even the submachine gun. Guns fire far in this game.

test_account

XP-39C²
alr1ghtstart said:
you play 100% bodycount, don't you?
100% as in that i only play bodycount? If so, then no, i dont only play bodycount :) I would say that i play bodycount often though, but i do prefer to keep the gameplay a bit variated by playing full games as well (full games as with all modes (or at least more modes than just bodycount) being played, Search & Destroy, Capture & Hold and so on). I think that it is a bit boring to only play body count for a long period of time. But even if i play bodycount only or a full game, then Radec Academy is still one of my favorite Killzone 2 maps :)

EDIT: One thing that i also like about Radec Academy is if that sometimes one of the teams will have the upper hand by standing outside the other team's base, so it is pretty hard to leave the base without dying. Then i sometimes take the underground way, then climb up the ladder (which isnt always guarded by the other team), and then get behind the other team that is standing outside the base, if you know what i mean? I guess that the other team doesnt always expect this to happend, so it can be a bit of a surprise when one of the enemies "suddently" are behind them :)

test_account

XP-39C²
damaster129 said:
salamun is a great map also, thats not brought up alot.
Ye, Salamun Market is also a cool map, i think so too :) Since this map is a relatively large map, this map might require some walking/running before you can get to where you want to go (at least if you spawn from the base), at least in my experience, but if you or some of your team mates have deployed good spawn points on the map, then less walking and running is required though :)

One thing that i especially like about Salamun Market is the Search & Destroy, when you can stand on top of that bridge, or in one of the rooms at the side of the bridge, and shoot down at the enemy, since they dont always look up there, especially if your team mates are also trying to plant the bomb. Then the enemy might be more focused on those people instead, so i think it cool to try to help out the team by killing (or trying at least) the enemy from this location during Search & Destroy :)

It has actually been a while since i have played the Salamun Market map, so maybe i should play it again some time soon :)

EDIT: I also like the rocket who are shooting in the background on that map. These rockets doesnt affect or has anything to do with the gameplay itself, but i think that this rocket "effect" (or what i shall say) looks cool at least :)

Facism

Salmon is great. There's a reason why we used to play most of our big GAFe clan games on it. The MP seems to have been literally built aroudn that one map.

Man this really needs to be in KZ3. It looks awesome.

killzone-ps3-20050613001852360_640w.jpg

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Unregistered007 said:
Just sold this game, I had it since launch but never liked it. After Call of Duty 4 I just can't sit on a waiting screen for 30 secs to get in the game.
Good, for you, thanks for letting us know.

-viper-

Banned
Facism said:
Salmon is great. There's a reason why we used to play most of our big GAFe clan games on it. The MP seems to have been literally built aroudn that one map.
Best map in the game. Perfect size and a well balanced map.

mr_nothin

Banned
Unregistered007 said:
Just sold this game, I had it since launch but never liked it. After Call of Duty 4 I just can't sit on a waiting screen for 30 secs to get in the game.
For some reason...it never seemed like 30 seconds. I knew I was sitting there for 30 seconds but it never seemed like it.

mr_nothin

Banned
CHRP718 said:
Salamun Market is my favorite map. More maps like this in Killzone 3 please :)
My favorite maps are the 3 from the beta.

Radac/Blood Gracht/Radac
I can play just those 3 all day long. Tharsis started growing on me, it's pretty fun.

Massa

Earlier today I was happy to find a game with the settings I like: small teams, new maps, 5 minute rounds, faction balancing ON. No friendly fire but that's too much to ask at this point. There were 4 people on each team and the other team was destroying us, so much that a guy from my team left the game. To make things worse, friends of people from the other team started joining the game... soon enough we had an 8 vs 3 game.

Faction balancing is such a simple and beautiful concept, I don't understand why they had to go ahead and effectively remove it from the game. WHY?

Massa said:
Faction balancing is such a simple and beautiful concept, I don't understand why they had to go ahead and effectively remove it from the game. WHY?
Its the only way to be on/in your friends faction/squad, with the way the game is setup. I think its stupid, why not just have matchmaking? Heres a thread someone on the ps boards put up, so we can have dedicated servers like the ones in warhawk, where the settings are great: i suggest everyone kudos him so seb (motherh) can take note
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&thread.id=352041

icechai

Massa said:
Earlier today I was happy to find a game with the settings I like: small teams, new maps, 5 minute rounds, faction balancing ON. No friendly fire but that's too much to ask at this point. There were 4 people on each team and the other team was destroying us, so much that a guy from my team left the game. To make things worse, friends of people from the other team started joining the game... soon enough we had an 8 vs 3 game.

because people complained so much about being on the same team as friends, so to make this happen when you join friends it nulls balancing.

Massa

damaster129 said:
Its the only way to be on/in your friends faction/squad, with the way the game is setup. I think its stupid, why not just have matchmaking? Heres a thread someone on the ps boards put up, so we can have dedicated servers like the ones in warhawk, where the settings are great: i suggest everyone kudos him so seb (motherh) can take note
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&thread.id=352041

icechai said:
because people complained so much about being on the same team as friends, so to make this happen when you join friends it nulls balancing.

I don't get why people need to be in the same faction as their friends; I actually love killing and being killed by my friends. You also learn a lot about how they play if you're playing against them.

But regardless, the game should match people with their friends' faction and squad before and only before a round is about to start. So, you know, the game is balanced from beginning to end. It's ridiculous that games can be so easily ruined by people joining their friends.

And that thread is great, my number 1 request for the game is a "match creator" that automatically creates and populate games with normal settings. I don't think it can be implemented at this point though. :-(

Massa said:
And that thread is great, my number 1 request for the game is a "match creator" that automatically creates and populate games with normal settings. I don't think it can be implemented at this point though. :-(
I understand. At this point, theres really nothing else they can do for a party system/matchmaking. Someone once joked "killzone 2 is the beta for killzone 3", but actually that sounds logical in a twisted way. Now they know, THEY MUST implement a TRUE party system and matchmaking, not this bs create a game, where every one makes retarded 32 player cluster fucks with 2 hours and a half mission totals.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Then they'll all be 32 player clusterfucks w/ rockets (as GG likes them). I like it how it is now, but they need to add match times to the join game screen.

I've started replaying the singleplayer, and it's much better than I remembered. For some reason all I could remember was the "meh" story, but the game is beautiful and truly a blast to play. Now I need to start getting back into online, so I can revive my clan.

I love the new controls. They improved the accuracy without removing the weighty feel the old controls provide. It's like the perfect mix between the old controls and more CoD-esque controls. It has the benefits of both styles (great accuracy, heavy feel) without the bad (camera-on-a-stick gameplay, weird delay that took awhile to get used to). With the new control patch, this is definitely my favorite shooter on the market.

I think if the new controls had been in at launch, the game would've had a better commercial reception. The hype was there, but the word of mouth wasn't, resulting in week legs for the title. =(

damaster129 said:
Is that fan made? Why does it say killzone 3, but have ign in the corner? I know for sure killzone 3 wasnt announced/confirmed.
During early development Guerrilla referred to the game as Killzone 3, as Killzone: Liberation was Killzone 2 in their eyes.

timkunedo said:
I've always thought 8v8 was the sweet spot for killzone 2. Actually for any game. It just gets insane crazy after that.
For me it depended on the map. I think they should've made some maps only playable with some player counts. Remove anything higher than 16v16 for the 3 smallest maps and anything smaller than 10v10 for the 2-3 largest maps, for example (including map packs). Other than that, leave things up to the game creator.

It would also keep maps like Corinth Crossing and Phyrrus Rise from being in the same rotation, as you would literally be unable to make such a game.

mr_nothin

Banned
The only thing I dont like about matchmaking is that there are no options. I want to be able to input some settings and have matches found that best fit my settings.

The best thing for consoles to do is like sports games do. Sports games have a PLAY NOW option at the top...which is basically matchmaking. It gets you into the quickest game possible. And then they have the EXHIBITION option, where you choose more options and get a game going based on your settings.

Well basically I want matchmaking and then the regular old server lists. But give matchmaking options also so I can have it search through games with specific settings.

Ok that's the end of my redundancy.

JardeL

Salamun Market is ideal for 16 or maybe max. of 24 players. My favourite map too.

Radec & BG & Tharsis are both ideal for max. of 16 players , not more. And I like them a lot. :D

I think all of the standard maps are perfect, if you play 12-16 player games.

Dementia

Kittonwy said:
GG guyz, too bad we only got one game in together, went to watch hangover finally and didn't get home until 12:30.
Indifferent2.gif
Weird, I went to see hangover last night too... and I didn't get home till 12:30. I would've played some after except my controller is broken, so I probably won't be able to play for another couple of days. :/

makingmusic476 said:
During early development Guerrilla referred to the game as Killzone 3, as Killzone: Liberation was Killzone 2 in their eyes.

Yep. I was just looking back at some of the e3 05 screens for some eye candy and saw this.. And realized that the intruder would be pretty badass if you go to pilot/drive and shoot one of these things while you have a co op buddy on the side and your squad with you, too.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dementia said:
Weird, I went to see hangover last night too... and I didn't get home till 12:30. I would've played some after except my controller is broken, so I probably won't be able to play for another couple of days. :/

Onoez! I hope you're back soon.
Indifferent2.gif

alr1ghtstart said:
Then they'll all be 32 player clusterfucks w/ rockets (as GG likes them). I like it how it is now, but they need to add match times to the join game screen.

Yes! That 's so much needed!Fed up with 30 minutes rounds! I have a life outside...

Top Bottom