• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You know, I'm one of those that feels that gritty, pseudo-futuristic, over-industrialized / over-militarized urban societies are slightly played out in videogames today, particularly in shooters of the first or third person persuasion.

But HOLY FUCK is KZ2 beautiful. The games almost overwhelming technical successes even shine through loud and clear through the shitty SD filter of my aging flatscreen CRT television.

I'm on that Suljeva Minetrain on the way to the Tharsis Refinery, and it's just a shockingly good looking location.

Kittonwy

Banned
GG Spartan, we got murdered in the first game I joined u, won the second but man it's like ppl were sleeping or somethin, assassination and some engineer was standing there fixing ammo boxes, I wuz like Narville yellin at dem guyz to wake teh fuck up.
Indifferent2.gif

Rikyfree

Kittonwy said:
GG Spartan, we got murdered in the first game I joined u, won the second but man it's like ppl were sleeping or somethin, assassination and some engineer was standing there fixing ammo boxes, I wuz like Narville yellin at dem guyz to wake teh fuck up.
Indifferent2.gif
Sorry I haven't been on more fellas, I'm on like a serious Fallout 3 binge.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow. What a game. So much better than KZ1 or KZL. It took 3 games, but Guerrilla finally got it down, IMHO. The last stage was almost tortuously difficult compared to the rest. It felt like I had accidentally switched it to a higher difficulty level, but of course I did not.

It was an otherwise well designed final level except for that one cheap element that always annoys me in these kinds of games. Infini-spawns of enemies until some arbitrary checkpoint coordinate is passed.

Last boss was kind of dumb, but I don't think I've ever been impressed by a pure first person shooter's bosses, so I suppose that wasn't exactly a disappointment.

Very cool game. Even managed to get all of the intel and Helghan symbols.

Mejilan said:
Wow. What a game. So much better than KZ1 or KZL. It took 3 games, but Guerrilla finally got it down, IMHO. The last stage was almost tortuously difficult compared to the rest. It felt like I had accidentally switched it to a higher difficulty level, but of course I did not.

It was an otherwise well designed final level except for that one cheap element that always annoys me in these kinds of games. Infini-spawns of enemies until some arbitrary checkpoint coordinate is passed.

Last boss was kind of dumb, but I don't think I've ever been impressed by a pure first person shooter's bosses, so I suppose that wasn't exactly a disappointment.

Very cool game. Even managed to get all of the intel and Helghan symbols.

Play online now.

Played a couple of matches yesterday, my first in quite a while. I'm surprised that still, even now, teams allow themselves to be bottled up at their spawn like my team did. Here's the match replay:

http://www.killzone.com/kz/tour_round_history.psml?kz_match_id=7598931&kz_file_id=8714066

For almost the entire match (Radec Academy) the other team suppressed mine completely, to the point we had enemy units walking right through into the spawn area machinegunning player after player. I'm not complaining about this mind you, I mean hey why not, when my own team was completely ignoring the underground exit which would have easily outflanked anyone. Hardly anyone was using tactician grenades to set up spawns outside the main one either, it was just befuddling.

Violater

Mejilan said:
I'm only interested in single player games.

Complete opposite for me these days. I would pay $30 for just the MP component of certain games, especially the ones where the story is completely throw away.

KZ2's sp story though having so much potential was ultimately a disappointment, I can't bring myself to play it again. Same goes for COD

Was killin' it last night in first place with like 60 points higher than the guy closest to me, got the 8013 error right at the last few seconds. :mad:

Why is this happening to me so often?

Az

Does anyone else have problems where the sound kind of disappears? It sounds muffled as hell.

Well I am currently enjoying some tea and he new maps... :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
TheAzRim said:
Does anyone else have problems where the sound kind of disappears? It sounds muffled as hell.

That has happened to me in multiplayer. A gun sound will start loop (endless machine gun noise) and then it'll all stop completely. It's pretty rare but when it does happen, it sucks, because I don't like getting killed by silent bullets.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Fired this up for the first time in awhile. Funny I'm always getting first or second, my teams have been sucking though. Not sure if I'll get the new maps because I know ODST and MW2 will just suck the rest of my time away. The bundle deal is good though.

NameGenerated said:
Fired this up for the first time in awhile. Funny I'm always getting first or second, my teams have been sucking though. Not sure if I'll get the new maps because I know ODST and MW2 will just suck the rest of my time away. The bundle deal is good though.
The new maps are awesome though. The one with the periodic nuking is a riot :D

Lince

Banned
just received some code from Sony for some Home exclusive item (Helghast T-shirt), is this our reward for winning the official KZ2 clan tournament? meh

BeeDog

Lince said:
just received some code from Sony for some Home exclusive item (Helghast T-shirt), is this our reward for winning the official KZ2 clan tournament? meh

I got the same code, and I haven't participated in one clan match, so... :p

Facism

Lince said:

i didn't get one :( and i was mvp most games too :(

Firewire

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Seriously those guys sucked bad, great second game though.

NameGenerated

God, Blood Gracht is such a clusterfuck. I'm amazed how the game's frame rate never drops. I finally got to be a Saboteur, but it's hard on that map.

Epic_Dave

Neo Member
Just picked this up for £18 yesterday and I now wish I'd had got it when it was released in Feb. Enjoying the sp so much, really give's me the impression that an epic war is going on all around me, regardless if it's all smoke and mirrors. Giving into the hype earlier this year and last, I feel asthough I've spoiled some of the sp elements which, if I hadn't of been aware of would of made it that bit more amazing. Dipped my toe in mp which will take me some getting used to after relying on the cover system in sp. Looking forward to the rest of the sp and mp:D

Today I decided to replay some levels and was amazed by the graphics and overall feel of the game. Even though I played the game two or three times to the end I'm still floored by the way it looks and plays!

T'Zariah

Banned
Man I'm still impressed with killzone's graphics despites Uncharted 2's edge. I want ND, to send some of their MP members over to Amsterdam, ASAP. Hopefully so KZ3's MP won't be a trainwreck.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I have to point out I've been playing this on my new slim and there are definitely some much longer pauses during the mid-level loading instances than with my old fat. I've also noticed some dialogue skipping. Nothing major, but definitely noticeable to someone who has played before.

Winterblink said:
Played a couple of matches yesterday, my first in quite a while. I'm surprised that still, even now, teams allow themselves to be bottled up at their spawn like my team did. Here's the match replay:

http://www.killzone.com/kz/tour_round_history.psml?kz_match_id=7598931&kz_file_id=8714066

For almost the entire match (Radec Academy) the other team suppressed mine completely, to the point we had enemy units walking right through into the spawn area machinegunning player after player. I'm not complaining about this mind you, I mean hey why not, when my own team was completely ignoring the underground exit which would have easily outflanked anyone. Hardly anyone was using tactician grenades to set up spawns outside the main one either, it was just befuddling.
Well firstly, that game was full of low rank new players, "t3h n00bxOrrz" as they are sometimes referred to. Anyway:

Lesson 1: don't play 32 player matches on Radec Academy.

Lesson 2: Play as tactician, and as you said above you need to be the guy that does the team's job. That's how the game works.

Lesson 3: In fact, fuck all 32 player games! Why would you submit yourself to such horrible kill-orgies?

NameGenerated

I was playing earlier and there were explosions and killing going of EVERYWHERE in one area and I didn't notice any fps drops. One thing that kind of annoys me too is the "Ah you killed me but my bullets hit you after I died and I killed you too!" Kinda sketch.

Violater

Popping the game in just for shiggles, anyone up?
Ughhh I hate playing with randoms, we are being spawn camped, i boost out find a safe spot to throw down a spawn so we can flank the opposing team. No one spawns on it.

VASPER

Banned
Thrakier said:
Do you also love the lag and the framerate issues?

Na it sucks but i havent had much lag in the first place, but i play alot of other shooters online so lag and frame drops are normal to me.

DrPirate

Banned
TheAzRim said:

Yes, I thought it was an isolated problem with my surround sound channels

Glad to know others have had this.

I had no idea there was a cheat for adding weapons to a custom game. I saw players with shotguns and that huge automatic weapon when the host only enabled the ISA/Helgast rifle. :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Violater said:
Popping the game in just for shiggles, anyone up?
Ughhh I hate playing with randoms, we are being spawn camped, i boost out find a safe spot to throw down a spawn so we can flank the opposing team. No one spawns on it.

What time do you usually play? I usually try to hop on around 10:30-11pm EST.
Indifferent2.gif

Internet Celebrity said:
Well firstly, that game was full of low rank new players, "t3h n00bxOrrz" as they are sometimes referred to. Anyway:

Lesson 1: don't play 32 player matches on Radec Academy.

Lesson 2: Play as tactician, and as you said above you need to be the guy that does the team's job. That's how the game works.

Lesson 3: In fact, fuck all 32 player games! Why would you submit yourself to such horrible kill-orgies?
Yeah I tried the tactician route, and that DID get some people spawning outside of the main area, but not enough to make a difference. And yeah, 32 players is just ridonkulous with this game... I keep joining those matches though, going to have to filter them out. As for the rank I'm still sitting at Lt. Col. myself, I had put the game down for quite some time and am getting back into it now.

Is it just me or does barely anyone play on the new maps? Some awesome ones there.

Kydd BlaZe

Finally finished the campaign over the weekend.

For Killzone 3 I hope we return to Vekta. Planet Helghan was nice and all, but I felt that the original Killzone had a much more pleasing asthetic to it, as well as much more variety to the enviroments. Vekta with a KZ2 engine facelift, would be to DIE for.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Finally finished the campaign over the weekend.

For Killzone 3 I hope we return to Vekta. Planet Helghan was nice and all, but I felt that the original Killzone had a much more pleasing asthetic to it, as well as much more variety to the enviroments. Earth with a KZ2 engine facelift, would be to DIE for.

Fixed.

Top Bottom