• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Zen

Banned
So the Killzone 2 space in Home made me nostalgic to go back to the game (Yes I bought the space for $4.99, shut up!) and I decided to tweak my video settings before playing (like enabling full range for HDMI) and... wow... I'd forgotten how good the game looks (and it looks even better now with my tweaked settings). This is just after I'd watched the new Crytek stuff (relatively speaking) and damn the game still looks so so good, there was just so much happening to seemlessly and smoothly in the first level, it felt like I was playing CG.

I might not have it in me to go back to the MP, but I'm for sure replaying the single player, I got all the way to Vicari Square before putting it down again. Guerilla has an untouchable athestic and feel for Killzone 2, specs be damned.

Also, I'd really like it if Killzone 3 brought in the UCN, and in fact the narrative shifted to 'Helghast/ISA outright rebelling against the incursion/clampdown from the UCN (I could see ISA Vekta and the Vektan authority not responding well to a UCN lockdown/subverting control, even though it would have been the ISA's breaching of UCN orders that kicked off the UCN retaliation.

I think we've seen most of what there is to see of Vesari's Helghan, show us what Hakha has been up to (Starting a revolution on Helghan with forces could ally with the ISA perhaps?). Show us a bit more of Helghast society, but I think the game could be very exciting if the conflict turned to involving the UCN and Earth.

They didn't have this glorious timeline history when they wrote Killzone 2, they do now. Use it!

Zen

Banned
My Samsung doesn't support it, but mixing that with ajusting the in game contrast (up from where I had it before obviously) makes it look great, so whatever works, right.

Kittonwy

Banned
Taste of freedom LOL.
Indifferent2.gif

icechai

ACE 1991 said:
So how many of you plan on moving to UC2 MP when that hits?

the majority of us played the beta it seems, so we'll see :p But dam cinema mode is sweeeet. I'd so make some mixtapes or trailers of KZ2 if it had that option.

Thrakier

Zen said:
My Samsung doesn't support it, but mixing that with ajusting the in game contrast (up from where I had it before obviously) makes it look great, so whatever works, right.

Hm, I don't know, makes no sense. You could also just reduce the brightness and the contrast. At the moment you are just loosing some grey and black tones. There is nothing good about activating it when your TV doesn't support it.

mr_nothin

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
So how many of you plan on moving to UC2 MP when that hits?
That's the problem this gen. Stop migrating once a new game comes out. Ppl have this "Hive Mentality" this gen where everybody plays one game and then another comes out and they all abandon the 1st game totally and everybody moves on to the new game. Spread the love!

I'll be playing both when UC2 comes out :D

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
mr_nothin said:
That's the problem this gen. Stop migrating once a new game comes out. Ppl have this "Hive Mentality" this gen where everybody plays one game and then another comes out and they all abandon the 1st game totally and everybody moves on to the new game. Spread the love!

It's hard when there are so many. I already know I want to play ODST, MW2, UC2, and probably a few others, including older games. It's just difficulty to play more than 2 or 3 multiplayer games. Especially with RB2 taking up almost all my gaming time. :lol

mr_nothin said:

So very true, this applies to almost any gaming community this gen.

Getting my slim today, and then I'll be back in the killzone :D

F#A#Oo

Banned
mr_nothin said:

There are plenty of examples of games where the community never really deflates and people might go off wondering every once in a while but they return. Look at CoD4, SFIV, Gears of War, L4D, TF2 and so on...all these games have some form of community and some are still going strong months and years after release.

Lince

Banned
Facism said:
same with me. Hero King games were massive fun, though :lol

h5 Live!

same here, I'll play a bunch of games with GAFe vintage hero Kings (co-op mainly) but not really my type of multiplayer game, should we try CoD next? MAG?

FFO... where's your slim? (your PS3 I mean, I know where your other slim is) I'm eagerly awaiting your return to play KZ2 again, I haven't even bothered booting my PS3 again since you were gone.

tried to have a little online game an hour ago: impossible to find a decent game.

I bought all the mappacks and I just can't play any of them as NOBODY plays them.

i thought "whatever: i just want to play. Any map will do"

First try: the game was so long , I knew I would not play until the end (and so not gain my xp...)...so I quit

Second try: was a pistol only game...I hate that.

Third try: too long again

Fourth try: clusterfuck

So i just stopped playing. I won't play until GG puts in the FULL FUCKING description of the game in the lobby (with the time per round), a search engine with more options (like: "only new maps" for instance) AND add a "hardcore mode" to prevent clusterfucks.

I guess I will never play KZ2 again...

I still don't understant how GG could make such a technically polished game... with such huge flaws in terms of gameplay and ergonomy.

Facism

Lince said:
h5 Live!

same here, I'll play a bunch of games with GAFe vintage hero Kings (co-op mainly) but not really my type of multiplayer game, should we try CoD next? MAG?

FFO... where's your slim? (your PS3 I mean, I know where your other slim is) I'm eagerly awaiting your return to play KZ2 again, I haven't even bothered booting my PS3 again since you were gone.

Well, CoD i'll be getting for PC if the price is right. Don't know about mag, was hoping for beta or an eventual demo in order to try it out, but it doesn't look like my cup of tea atm.

KZObsessed

Lince said:
h5 Live!

:lol Awww. Well, I was planning on getting the Slim at the end of September but I'm gonna get it a lot sooner now! :D Next few days or early next week if I decide to order it online. I'm just deciding where to get it from, GAME give you Arkham Asylum for free. But I've heard Tesco are going to sell them for £229. And I'd prefer to buy them in store. But very soon anyway! And then straight back into KZ2! Wanna play the single player again as well. :p

I do wanna get MW2 but Activision are charging £45 for it so they can go to hell :lol Probably wont be buying it for a long time. MAG is January which is a while off but I'll probably pick it up and try it out. Havn't been able to try the Beta much so don't know how I feel about it yet but I'll give it a go when it comes out. U2 I'll play but I'll still play KZ2 from time to time as well.

Lince

Banned
FFObsessed said:
:lol Awww. Well, I was planning on getting the Slim at the end of September but I'm gonna get it a lot sooner now! And then straight back into KZ2! Wanna play the single player again as well. :p

good to know you're coming back soon, I think I'll play through the campaign a couple of times on Veteran/hard before jumping back into mp, I'm sooooo rusty (been playing nothing but handheld games this summer) :/

FFObsessed said:
:lol Awww. Well, I was planning on getting the Slim at the end of September but I'm gonna get it a lot sooner now! :D Next few days or early next week if I decide to order it online. I'm just deciding where to get it from, GAME give you Arkham Asylum for free. But I've heard Tesco are going to sell them for £229. And I'd prefer to buy them in store. But very soon anyway! And then straight back into KZ2! Wanna play the single player again as well. :p
Whut! Arkham Asylum? When I got mine from gamestation today, they offered Call of Juarez, FNR4, COD4, KZ2 and some other B-Grade games for free. I believe Arkham Asylum costs you £275.

ACE 1991

Hm... I know this is kind of the wrong thread, but since people were talking about UC2... What kind of staying power do you guys think the MP portion will have?

KZObsessed

Internet Celebrity said:
Whut! Arkham Asylum? When I got mine from gamestation today, they offered Call of Juarez, FNR4, COD4, KZ2 and some other B-Grade games for free. I believe Arkham Asylum costs you £275.

Ahh must be an online only deal:

http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/...n-3-120Gb-PS3-Slim-with-Batman-Arkham-Asylum/

Lince said:
good to know you're coming back soon, I think I'll play through the campaign a couple of times on Veteran/hard before jumping back into mp, I'm sooooo rusty (been playing nothing but handheld games this summer) :/

Yeah we're gonna be terrible :lol But that'll be part of the fun. :p I've only been playing PSP really, and only RPGs. Looking forward to shooting something! ;D

test_account

XP-39C²
I was playing some Killzone 2 earlier today, and 2 of the servers that i played on had "radar always on" enabled, which means that you can always see where the enemies are (if they are within radar range). Can someone explain to me why "radar always on" is prefered?

I guess that one good reason is that it is much easier to see where people are camping (if anyone are camping that is). But being able to see where the enemy is coming almost feel like a light version of a "wallhack" or something similar, at least in my opinion. Of course, being able to see where the enemy comes goes for both teams, so no team has the advantage here, but still, you are able to see on the radar when the enemy is coming around the corner, and the radar range/zone is relatively big as well. Being able to see where the enemy are, cant this ruin the strategic elements in the game a bit? EDIT: I guess that it is possible to make some good strategic moves as well even if the radar is always on though, but isnt it easier to be more strategic if the radar isnt always on?

This is not a complain towards Killzone 2, and i dont think that it is anything that needs to be fixed since it is fully optional for those who starts the game/server to chose if the radar should be always on or not. If "radar always on" is enabled on a server and if this isnt prefered, then it is after allways possible to just join another server and hope that this server doesnt have "radar always on", so it should really be a problem in my opinion :) But i am just curious what advantages and why people prefer "radar always on" :)

icechai

cassiusclay99 said:
tried to have a little online game an hour ago: impossible to find a decent game.

I bought all the mappacks and I just can't play any of them as NOBODY plays them.

i thought "whatever: i just want to play. Any map will do"

First try: the game was so long , I knew I would not play until the end (and so not gain my xp...)...so I quit

Second try: was a pistol only game...I hate that.

Third try: too long again

Fourth try: clusterfuck

So i just stopped playing. I won't play until GG puts in the FULL FUCKING description of the game in the lobby (with the time per round), a search engine with more options (like: "only new maps" for instance) AND add a "hardcore mode" to prevent clusterfucks.

I guess I will never play KZ2 again...

I still don't understant how GG could make such a technically polished game... with such huge flaws in terms of gameplay and ergonomy.

hope you're not in USA, cuz its a little silly to find games at 8am EST when most ppl in America are asleep/getting ready for work/going to class. There's always at least 3 full servers running map packs (not the 1st one, 2nd and 3rd packs) everyday. And you can see how many players are in a game, so don't throw that clusterfuck bait around. But I do agree GG still needs even more info on games. Once again, LOOK AT WARHAWK GG!!! AWESOME SERVER LISTS, TAKE IT AND USE IT.

*edit, oh you're in France. Look for Worldwide servers, there's always a ton on when its night time in America.

Lince

Banned
test_account said:
But i am just curious what advantages and why people prefer "radar always on" :)

only kids with wall-hacking habits from Counter Strike will play with radar always on, I wonder why Guerrilla bothered coding such option into the game in the first place.

jett

D-Member
I just updated KZ2 for the first time in months. What's been added/changed in the last patch? I noticed a new "high precision" option . :p

test_account

XP-39C²
Lince said:
only kids with wall-hacking habits from Counter Strike will play with radar always on, I wonder why Guerrilla bothered coding such option into the game in the first place.
Ye, i wonder what advantages there is for having the radar always on and why there is an option for it indeed. The only advantage that i can think of is that it is easier to know where people are camping (if someone are camping), but even if the radar isnt always on, and if you get killed by an enemy, the camera will show/aim in the direction where the enemy is, so you should in many cases get a general idea where the enemy is camping (if he/she is camping), so "radar always on" shouldnt really be needed that much to find out where (if) people are camping. And when you get hit, i think that there is an indicator on the screen that shows which direction the shot is coming from? (i havnt really thought about this before now).

Lince said:

THIS. I always try to find "No radar" games. It's such a HUGE difference.

test_account

XP-39C²
jett said:
I just updated KZ2 for the first time in months. What's been added/changed in the last patch? I noticed a new "high precision" option . :p
Guerilla Gmaes changed how you are browsing through the servers. You can now see which map(s) that are are in rotation for each server :) As you probably know, before you had to join a server to see what map that were being played.

You can now also see which modes that are being played (for example if only Body Count are being played on a server) and you can also see if the server has friendly fire enabled or not. There are also some other stuff that you can see, like if the server allows custom weapons and has faction balancing enabled or not. It is also now possible to have a 200 kill limit in Body Count mode. As you probably also know, the previous kill limit was 100 :)

Here is the change log for the latest Killzone 2 patch:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/07/10/killzone-2-dlc-3-napalm-cordite-and-flames-and-bolts/

EDIT: Actually patch 1.29 is the latest patch, not 1.28 that i linked to over:

http://www.psu.com/Killzone-2-patch-129-announced,-will-fix-Visari-Palace--a007795-p0.php

Patch 1.29 only fixes 2 things though, and patch 1.29 was released relatively close after patch 1.28 (maybe about 1 week later if i remember correctly). So i guess that what is in patch 1.29 should actually be in patch 1.28. But patch 1.28 is the latest biggest patch at least :)

F#A#Oo said:
There are plenty of examples of games where the community never really deflates and people might go off wondering every once in a while but they return. Look at CoD4, SFIV, Gears of War, L4D, TF2 and so on...all these games have some form of community and some are still going strong months and years after release.

Games go on strong for a long time, problem is people get disillusioned with a game when their former playmates and buddy list migrates to the new flavor of the month. People still play Halo 2, Battlefront II, GOW1, Battlefield 2, etc, but often you go where your personal friends go.

Everyone I know stopped playing L4D and COD4 for other games, course theres always people to play. I'm glad I'm not picky about who I play with.

agaru

FFObsessed said:
Guerrilla Games! Are you listening?

Watch this: Uncharted 2 Cinema Mode Features.

I want this, all of it, and more in KILLZONE 3!

FFObsessed said:

FFObsessed said:

QFI.

Do it, Guerrilla. It's actually a crime that a game with divine graphics like Killzone 2 has none of those video recording/screenshot grabbing features. We're expecting to have all that and more in Killzone 3. Thanks.

Kittonwy

Banned
We merged two clans together, there should be at least a half-dozen people playing this game nightly, come on. And wtf is this "let's move on to the next flavor of the month" bullshit?
Indifferent2.gif

KZObsessed

wat. We were just talking about coming back to KZ2 when I get my Slim. Not my fault ma PS3 died. Guess I was just the love glue that held old-GAFe together. :lol

ACE 1991

Kittonwy said:
We merged two clans together, there should be at least a half-dozen people playing this game nightly, come on. And wtf is this "let's move on to the next flavor of the month" bullshit?
Indifferent2.gif

Raist is the only person who can remove inactive players, correct?

Zen

Banned
Thrakier said:
Hm, I don't know, makes no sense. You could also just reduce the brightness and the contrast. At the moment you are just loosing some grey and black tones. There is nothing good about activating it when your TV doesn't support it.

I'm using an LCD, and it's impossible to get the blacks as black as they are without it enabled. You lose a bit of Grey detail, but up until post Visari Square it looks leagues better. After Visari Square the proceeding level is just too dark no matter what and looks better with it disabled and the in game contrast turned back down). Some levels look good, some look bad but are awesome when tweaked... the game isn't consistent in how well one level 'looks' (and the shadows blend etc) to the next. This isn't about having visually similar environment, but the changes in color palette and lighting that vary wildly enough to make it an issue. For instance the dropdown scene before they first level (where you first see all the ISA dropships) -the outside shot- looks washed out compared to the part of that cutscene that takes place in the cruiser; that first outside shot and the lighting in the part is just ugly really, but with the HDMI part enabled it looks a lot better. All the 'brighter' environments in the game, so far, seem to look better with it enabled, but that flips once you pass Visari Square, so far.

A shame really that someone has tweak things level by level to get it to look its best. It's basically the only game that has this issue of all the games I own.

I've never heard of enabling it on a non supported set to cause problems with your HD TV. Granted if I owned a Plasma I might not have to mess with the TV so much to get satisfactory black levels in this game and be constantly balancing between visibility/detail and picture quality.

Erudite

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif
I'll gladly join in on games if you guys need more people. My only caveat is I don't have the DLC maps purchased.

PSN-ID: Traced-Velocity

dazed808

Fistwell said:
Dude... gross...
:lol you don't know the half of it..........

Hopefully when FF is back more will follow because everytime I login to play (Eurotime) there's never anyone playing from the clan and I can't stand playing more than 1 or 2 pub matches without raging too much at the fuckwits who mostly populate them. Afraid it's playing with GAFe or nothing for me. Would love to play with you NA guys all the time but 5am my time is no good when I gotta be up at 7.30 :/

Az

I am active pretty much daily so you can add me if you want. I was a member of the GAF clan east but I dont see anyone ever playing.

Negaiido

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

I'm just waiting for FFO to return but that doesn't mean that I will play nightly. You go play nightly and I will play daily
angry.gif

test_account

XP-39C²
Lagspike_exe said:
THIS. I always try to find "No radar" games. It's such a HUGE difference.
Luckily there arent really that many "radar always on" games though, at least after my experiences with the EU servers. But today i played on 2 servers/games that had "radar always on", so i was just curious why or if people prefered to have "radar always on". But ye, i agree that "no radar" is much better than "radar always on" :) In the "radar always on", maybe i spend more time looking at the radar than on the game itself just to see if i can see the enemy hehe.

alr1ghtstart said:
beware airbots
Ye, have the airbots been changed? Many months ago it seemed near impossible to get kills with the airbots, but now the airbots seems to hit/shoot people more often indeed.

test_account

XP-39C²
alr1ghtstart said:
they are better than 95% of human players. It's really my only thing gameplay wise that I hate.
I dont know if i would say that the airbots are better than 95% better than human players since i get killed more from human players compared to airbots at least :) But the airbots have gotten better? I havnt really thought too much about it. I do remember that it was pretty hard to get 5 kills in one round with airbots, and maybe it still is pretty hard? I havnt really used the airbots that much in general recently (i used them some times earlier today), so unfortunately i dont know how hard it is to get 5 kills with airbots in one round now. I had to get help from my sister to get the "5 kills in 1 round with airbots" ribbons. Otherwise i might not have been able to get those ribbons.

Az

it feels like GG has improved the airbots since I remember them being kind of worthless at the launch of the game

I'm online now, come on GAF lets playyy

Top Bottom