• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Massa

FFObsessed said:
Eric Boltjes (lead online game designer) just posted a question on the KZ2 forums:

For me it would definitely be "General Lag" certainly not limit people to their own region!

The one thing I wish they would fix: ranked games should ALWAYS use the default settings designed by Guerilla (5 minute rounds, Friendly Fire, Radar Off, etc).

That is all.

Massa

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
Rader off??

:lol

I meant whatever option only shows enemies when they're shooting or they've been flagged by the Scout. For some reason a lot of people create games set to always show enemies, it fucking ruins the game imo.

Dibbz

Massa said:
The one thing I wish they would fix: ranked games should ALWAYS use the default settings designed by Guerilla (5 minute rounds, Friendly Fire, Radar Off, etc).

That is all.
I agree with this. The biggest problem I have with KZ2 online is trying to find a game that is not 30 fucking minutes long for all the modes.

KZObsessed

-viper- said:
who is Tiddles?

GG dev who used to post here. He's gone to a better place now... (making KZ3 :p)

Here's my post to Eric Boltjes:

As someone who has played KZ2 for over 500 hours here are my suggestions:

Technical:

Lag. Lag is a big issue in KZ2. Ranging from a simple annoyance to a game damaging experience. Please do whatever you can to reduce the amount of lag present in the game. And please use dedicated servers for KZ3 next time.

Gameplay:

The Assault Class. Extra armour, boost ability, rocket launcher. Just horribly unbalanced class. Not only that but you can swap boost with any character eventually and there's no limit to how many rocket wielding assault classes you can have on one team. Have you ever played a game where everyone has the boost ability no matter what class or that half the other team just spams rockets everywhere? It happens a lot and ruins the game. I'd say it's what has put the most people off the online experience so it's a big problem.

Despite that though I do recognise that the Assault class does have two distinct uses. It is used to break through turret defenses and can stop S&R ending in stalemate on larger maps due to their boost ability.

My suggestion would be to split these two roles up among two separate classes:

1. The Demolitions Class - EMP grenades with a larger blast radius than normal grenades which do extra damage to turrets and minimal damage to humans. EMP launcher to take down Air Drones which also does minimal damage to human players.

2. Assassin Class - 20% less health - Boost as primary ability so you can't give it to other classes and the ability to use knives in melee.

These are just off the top of my head but I think getting rid of the Assault Class for something like this would make the online experience much more balanced and enjoyable.

I hope you like my suggestions and I want to finish off by saying that KZ2, despite it's issues, is my favorite online shooter ever and I'm sure I'll be increasing my playtime beyond the 600 hours mark in the future :)

Cheers.

Basically Lag and Assault Class are the two biggest issues with the online for me. What do you think about my idea of two new classes to replace the Assault Class? They were just off the top of my head so I obviously havn't thought in depth about balancing/weapons/abilities and such but just generally, would you guys agree that's a good idea?

mr_nothin

Banned
So you basically ignored his post and posted just about everything you wanted changed? They're probably gonna ignore posts like that! He said list 1 thing!

Dibbz

You're ideas are good FF but I think an EMP rocket would be sufficient. That would at least take care of air bots. For ground bots their should be a finite amount for each round. That way if your turret dies it's out until the next round starts. People spam turrets way too much. Deploy, die, deploy over and over. I hate the damn things.

//B1G

Banned
Does anyone know why I'm not getting the *chirp* when I kill someone any more?
I haven't changed any settings, and just one day it wasn't working. It could have been the update to 3.0; I'm not sure.

FFObsessed said:
GG dev who used to post here. He's gone to a better place now... (making KZ3 :p)

Basically Lag and Assault Class are the two biggest issues with the online for me. What do you think about my idea of two new classes to replace the Assault Class? They were just off the top of my head so I obviously havn't thought in depth about balancing/weapons/abilities and such but just generally, would you guys agree that's a good idea?

Love the ideas. Another way to stop AS is something I'd like, as AS has become my biggest annoyance.

I only ever play with assault class on in public games, and if the rockets are flying (and I don't feel like fucking about with the GL) I'll just quit straight away.

Don't mind joining tournaments with boost (so long as launchers are off) and will enjoy some boost -shotty, even though it's scrubby as hell. :lol

At time's I've joined a public game, and it's been so awful I say, 'if this was my first ever game of Killzone, I'd never play it again.'
I guess that's why I want assault nerfer, so more players can enjoy the awesome game. But assault doesn't really bother me.

All I want fixed is the lag tbh. Yeah a lot could be fixed, but it's too much work I'm sure. Save it for Killzone 3, just make the game playable at all times.
Recently I've had shocking lag in some clan matches. I always question if it's Lag switching it's that bad (and I've definitely seen people lag switching, esp on S&R) but in most cases it's probably just awful lag.

Massa said:
I meant whatever option only shows enemies when they're shooting or they've been flagged by the Scout. For some reason a lot of people create games set to always show enemies, it fucking ruins the game imo.

Sorry I thought you probably meant that. :D

Radar fully off is as bad if not worse. Just a pile of fuckers camping in corners all game.

Kittonwy

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Yes! I now have 100% of KZ2 trophies again! :D

I dedicate this achievement to the memory of Tiddles.

May he rest in peace.

I saw u on and I wanted to play but u were done.
angry.gif

I will be away next week so I won't be able to play anything period.
angry.gif

zedge

I have been away from Killzone for a few months.. Picked up the map pack today. There is no one playing them??!

Is the online community dead on this game already? There are not very many servers out there. Do you guys play regularly? I want to try these new maps I just dropped 13 bucks on.

PSN - xZeDgEx

KZObsessed

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
Love the ideas. Another way to stop AS is something I'd like, as AS has become my biggest annoyance.

I only ever play with assault class on in public games, and if the rockets are flying (and I don't feel like fucking about with the GL) I'll just quit straight away.

Don't mind joining tournaments with boost (so long as launchers are off) and will enjoy some boost -shotty, even though it's scrubby as hell. :lol

At time's I've joined a public game, and it's been so awful I say, 'if this was my first ever game of Killzone, I'd never play it again.'
I guess that's why I want assault nerfer, so more players can enjoy the awesome game. But assault doesn't really bother me.

All I want fixed is the lag tbh. Yeah a lot could be fixed, but it's too much work I'm sure. Save it for Killzone 3, just make the game playable at all times.
Recently I've had shocking lag in some clan matches. I always question if it's Lag switching it's that bad (and I've definitely seen people lag switching, esp on S&R) but in most cases it's probably just awful lag.

Thanx! This is a very good point:

^^ and something GG should really consider. My playtime in KZ2 progressed to the point where I would only play 16 player games with Assault banned but recently I've been happily playing 32 pl games and enjoying it! I try and find a game with Assault banned but if I can't find one I'd settle for Assault included and too be honest it's not been too bad over the last few days. 1 or 2 assaults is fine, you just try and avoid them and frantically aim for the head if they come boosting at you firing rockets :lol In a way it's quite exciting :p But then there are games when half the other team are using them, and that's when it becomes a real problem. I remember seeing a couple of guys on the first rank being penned into their base by barrages of rockets and thought: "yeah... they're never gonna play again :("

They should have put a limit on the number of Assaults per team, and not allowed people to swap the boost ability with other classes :p Hopefully for KZ3 hey will simply just replace them tho with other classes, would make the game more fun for newer players.

But if KZ3 is just KZ2 but with dedicated servers and minimal lag I'll still be in heaven! :)

KZObsessed

Kittonwy said:
I saw u on and I wanted to play but u were done.
angry.gif

I will be away next week so I won't be able to play anything period.
angry.gif

Sorry kitton! Had to get up early today and thought playing past 4am might not be the best idea :lol

ok, I'll play with you when you get back in a week then. Hopefully the second coming of Lince will have occurred by then. :p

Thrakier said:
I hate it.

Well I still wuv you *tickles*

FFObsessed said:
But if KZ3 is just KZ2 but with dedicated servers and minimal lag I'll still be in heaven! :)

I won't. Killzone 2 had such a huge potential and only some things need to be changed for it to be a much better experience.
Don't get me wrong, I've played almost 150 hours total of this game, spent A LOT of time on clan matches and I love it to death, but some flaws just need to be fixed in Killzone 3.

icechai

zedge said:
I have been away from Killzone for a few months.. Picked up the map pack today. There is no one playing them??!

Is the online community dead on this game already? There are not very many servers out there. Do you guys play regularly? I want to try these new maps I just dropped 13 bucks on.

PSN - xZeDgEx

most ppl play almost every night (the GAFe regulars). Southern Hills really seem to be the main map in rotation from the 2nd map pack, and sometimes the newest map pack shows up here and there. But the majority of the servers seem to be just the original maps. And there are a lot of servers, just set your search to world wide :p

Nizz

FFObsessed said:

Oh man, for a second I thought something horrible had happened. I can just imagine how insane K3 will look.

zedge

icechai said:
most ppl play almost every night (the GAFe regulars). Southern Hills really seem to be the main map in rotation from the 2nd map pack, and sometimes the newest map pack shows up here and there. But the majority of the servers seem to be just the original maps. And there are a lot of servers, just set your search to world wide :p

Thanks.

Is there a clan you can invite me to? Make it easier to join. :D

Guardian Bob said:
I played a game tonight (first time in a while) and you can get killed by the medic gun now? That's ridiculous. Killed me three times.
Why not? Thing can start a dead heart, why not stop a beating one? :D

icechai

zedge said:
Thanks.

Is there a clan you can invite me to? Make it easier to join. :D

you'd hafta ask around on the GAFe online thread, i'm not an officer, nor do I have a working TV as of this week >_<

Lince

Banned
Kittonwy said:
GG tonight guyz.
Indifferent2.gif

yeah good games, vintage GAFe is unstoppable but that last match was truly exhausting... I had some funny duels with CrushDance where I always tried to melee him out cause I don't like to shoot fellow clan members in the face :lol

maxmars

Hello guys, I have got a PS3 a few days ago and naturally I wanted to see what's this Killzone 2 everybody here was raving about.

Turns out I still have to unwrap it.. Need some advice: can you get into multiplayer effectively without first playing it offline? Is voice chat supported / useful online?

Thanks!

Kittonwy

Banned
Lince said:
yeah good games, vintage GAFe is unstoppable but that last match was truly exhausting... I had some funny duels with CrushDance where I always tried to melee him out cause I don't like to shoot fellow clan members in the face :lol

Hero Kingz dominated that last match. Still I wish there was a way clan members can join without being put on the other team, although I figured CrushDance got bored of winning and wanted to join the losing side.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
maxmars said:
Hello guys, I have got a PS3 a few days ago and naturally I wanted to see what's this Killzone 2 everybody here was raving about.

Turns out I still have to unwrap it.. Need some advice: can you get into multiplayer effectively without first playing it offline? Is voice chat supported / useful online?

Thanks!

Yes you can and voicechat is supported and is crucial for coordinating objectives and cussing people out.
Indifferent2.gif

RavenFox

Banned
zedge said:

PSN - xZeDgEx
It was packed lastnight. Couldn't even get into a game.
Kittonwy said:
Yes you can and voicechat is supported and is crucial for coordinating objectives and cussing people out.
Indifferent2.gif
Especially the dick brains who continue to put spawn grenades that spawn into walls with backs to the enemy.

lunlunqq

good games last night.

i'd like to play with our euro brothers more. but the lag was unbelievable. enemies often won't die until 5 seconds after i'm done shooting them... so frustrating.

maxmars

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

Thanks Kitten! :D

I don't know if this is the place to ask but.. Which voice chat device would you suggest? I have a plain vanilla slim ps3 so for the moment I only have 1 wired controller and the console as hardware.

maxmars said:
Thanks Kitten! :D

I don't know if this is the place to ask but.. Which voice chat device would you suggest? I have a plain vanilla slim ps3 so for the moment I only have 1 wired controller and the console as hardware.

Official Sony Playstation 3 Headset.

is there any future thread on GAF that will beat the page count for this thread? i dont think there will gonna be one, simply because K2 was the most controversial game of any generations. lol

KZObsessed

Kittonwy said:
Hero Kingz dominated that last match. Still I wish there was a way clan members can join without being put on the other team, although I figured CrushDance got bored of winning and wanted to join the losing side.
Indifferent2.gif

That last game was awesome! Was great to play as a clan again. Think I'll save the replay :lol If we stick to larger games (32pl which I've been enjoying a lot recently) there's more chance we'll all be on the same team.

And if we're able to join at the beginning we will be, but in an auto-balanced game if someone joins after the start they can be put on the other team to avoid stacking.

edit: GAFe FTW!

Lince

Banned
FFObsessed said:

yesssss!!!

feels good playing with you again guys, those were some intense games yesterday and we're such old dogs we don't even need voice comm to know what and where to do our stuff. Good times indeed *sheds a tear*

KZObsessed

oh wow. I just realised how KILL1ONAIRE (#1 ranked guy) has the stats he has.

I just watched some of his battle replays. He only plays 32player bodycount matches where nearly everyone on the other team are only on the first few ranks!

He and his top ranked friends go on the other team and just slaughter them. Check it out: http://www.killzone.com/kz/mykillzone.psml?kz_user_id=x_KILL1ONAIRE_x

There a poor guys on the first rank who end up with like 20+ deaths and only 1-2 kills. :lol

He's probably done more damage to KZ2 online than all the rocket spamming and lag put together. Can't believe GG allow this :lol

FFObsessed said:
oh wow. I just realised how KILL1ONAIRE (#1 ranked guy) has the stats he has.

I just watched some of his battle replays. He only plays 32player bodycount matches where nearly everyone on the other team are only on the first few ranks!

He and his top ranked friends go on the other team and just slaughter them. Check it out: http://www.killzone.com/kz/mykillzone.psml?kz_user_id=x_KILL1ONAIRE_x

There a poor guys on the first rank who end up with like 20+ deaths and only 1-2 kills. :lol

He's probably done more damage to KZ2 online than all the rocket spamming and lag put together. Can't believe GG allow this :lol

Nice life.

I thought it was a shared account or something... Still, this is pathetic as every other way of score boosting.

KZObsessed

Lagspike_exe said:
Nice life.

I thought it was a shared account or something... Still, this is pathetic as every other way of score boosting.

It's disgraceful really. Playing your first game and having to come up against a team of people who have played the game 1000+ hours. They wouldn't even be able to leave their base. I doubt they'd ever return to the game after a few hours of that.

You'd get more challenge from playing against bots on the lowest level. At least they would know the maps. Pathetic.

icechai

FFObsessed said:
It's disgraceful really. Playing your first game and having to come up against a team of people who have played the game 1000+ hours. They wouldn't even be able to leave their base. I doubt they'd ever return to the game after a few hours of that.

You'd get more challenge from playing against bots on the lowest level. At least they would know the maps. Pathetic.

once again, they should've taken a nod from warhawk and had dedicated ranked servers, so noobs could play in their own ranked dedicated server with similar ranking players.

:lol :lol

Did you guys think killionaire played like normal people? :D

He is a joke. He plays assault with pistols only, and gets all his kills boosting around meleeing, or using the M4. We had a killionaire wannabe in our clan (actually a great player, but got booted when people got fed up) and we'd join his game and killionaire would be there doing such stupid shit. Killionaire would boost into the other teams base and just melee them all. He's a complete scrub, and I've no idea how he's still not bored of such nonsense.

KZObsessed

BadlyCookedTurkey said:
:lol :lol

Did you guys think killionaire played like normal people? :D

He is a joke. He plays assault with pistols only, and gets all his kills boosting around meleeing, or using the M4. We had a killionaire wannabe in our clan (actually a great player, but got booted when people got fed up) and we'd join his game and killionaire would be there doing such stupid shit. Killionaire would boost into the other teams base and just melee them all. He's a complete scrub, and I've no idea how he's still not bored of such nonsense.

Sounds like Cagen! lol lol

Never played in a game with Killionaire, now I'm glad.

Top Bottom