• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

First, I find out that BobTheFork, the last holdout of my old RFOM clan, is getting the game, bringing EVERYBODY back into the fold, and now I see this ad.

"In anticipation of the Killzone 2 release, SCEA will also be launching a new television ad campaign this week in collaboration with Killzone 2 developer Guerrilla Games, Los Angeles based Zoic Studios and ad agency Deutsch LA. Coined the “Bullet” commercial, the new ad was rendered entirely in-engine via the incredible power of the Killzone 2 engine and PS3 technology to preserve the unique visual and epic gameplay experience.

"Every single frame of this commercial was directly rendered on a PS3 without the need for additional tweaking or touching up. We're very proud that our game engine technology has reached the point where we don't have to resort to software pre-rendering,” said Hermen Hulst, Managing Director. “In that regard it is a testament to our commitment to deliver on what we promise. What you see is what you get.”

SCEA will also be releasing a playable version of the ad, where users can control the camera view to explore the behind-the-scenes techniques used to create the ad. This version will also include a director’s commentary explaining the team’s efforts to develop a campaign that was true to the actual gaming experience"

OK, now I'm just freaking out.

Freaking.

Out.

Get me this game, Sony...NOW!

methane47

WOOOOWWW AT THE AD!!!

now... lets see if Sony's Marketting Budget is up to the task.

makingmusic476 said:
Hah. Somebody pointed this out on another forum:

Halo: Combat Evolved

Killzone 2.

War. Perfected.

First thing I thought of when I saw the tag line..

antiloop

E-P-I-C.

Nice to see what the engine can do. Would be interesting to see it being used on the PC in the future.
Wonder if todays dual-core processors can do that kind of post-processing. Doubt it.
But they could beef up other things instead.

Binabik15

I still can´t believe the viedeo is really "real", sorry. This game will beo goood.

Where does wysiwyg come from, by the way? Warhammer geeks use it all the time, but that can´t be it...

Torgo said:
From a Press Release that I just got:

"In anticipation of the Killzone 2 release, SCEA will also be launching a new television ad campaign this week in collaboration with Killzone 2 developer Guerrilla Games, Los Angeles based Zoic Studios and ad agency Deutsch LA. Coined the “Bullet” commercial, the new ad was rendered entirely in-engine via the incredible power of the Killzone 2 engine and PS3 technology to preserve the unique visual and epic gameplay experience.

"Every single frame of this commercial was directly rendered on a PS3 without the need for additional tweaking or touching up. We're very proud that our game engine technology has reached the point where we don't have to resort to software pre-rendering,” said Hermen Hulst, Managing Director. “In that regard it is a testament to our commitment to deliver on what we promise. What you see is what you get.”

SCEA will also be releasing a playable version of the ad, where users can control the camera view to explore the behind-the-scenes techniques used to create the ad. This version will also include a director’s commentary explaining the team’s efforts to develop a campaign that was true to the actual gaming experience"

BeeDog I normally agree with you but it looks like you were incorrect.

Dementia

Wow.
Awesome, awesome ad. It shows the game from a unique perspective, looks freakin amazing, and has a badass catchphrase. That totally just got me re-pumped for KZ2. :D

On a side note, I'm looking to get a headset for multiplayer.... my question is, is the official headset worth it at $45 or would I be better off finding a decent 3rd party headset for ~$20? Money is kinda tight, but I want something that will last awhile and still sound good.

Binabik15 said:
I still can´t believe the viedeo is really "real", sorry. This game will beo goood.

Where does wysiwyg come from, by the way? Warhammer geeks use it all the time, but that can´t be it...

Came from web design I believe. Like in dreamweaver you can edit web pages directly in the GUI (graphical user interface), and it's WYSIWYG. At least that is when I first heard the term.

GodofWine

Dementia said:
Wow.
On a side note, I'm looking to get a headset for multiplayer.... my question is, is the official headset worth it at $45 or would I be better off finding a decent 3rd party headset for ~$20? Money is kinda tight, but I want something that will last awhile and still sound good.

My cheap jabra sounds as good as my pricer motorola...and both sound clear to other users, so I'd say no need to break the bank.

antiloop said:
Wonder if todays dual-core processors can do that kind of post-processing. Doubt it.

The GPUs certainly can. Although PC devs don't have the advantage of a closed system to leverage at the lowest levels possible (outside of tech demos).

BlacKMaRK said:
do youz guyz think that "war.perfected" is a jab at halos "combat evolved"?

Ehh, seems like more of a nod than a jab.

A.R.K

One more thing: After seeing KZ2 and what is coming from 1st party devs (GOW3, UC2 etc)...I have just one thing to say to the 3rd party devs...WAKE THE FUCK UP and use the power of this machine instead of giving us half assed ports with shitty textures frame rate etc!!!!!!!!!1111!!!
angry.gif

T4L!!!!!
angry.gif

braimuge

Banned
A.R.K said:
One more thing: After seeing KZ2 and what is coming from 1st party devs (GOW3, UC2 etc)...I have just one thing to say to the 3rd party devs...WAKE THE FUCK UP and use the power of this machine instead of giving us half assed ports with shitty textures frame rate etc!!!!!!!!!1111!!!
angry.gif

T4L!!!!!
angry.gif

They don't need the PS3 userbase exclusively. They make enough money with other usebases.

antiloop

braimuge said:
They don't need the PS3 userbase exclusively. They make enough money with other usebases.

True, but in the long run they want to maximize profits. Plus, they want the future PS4-5 owners onboard the hype train when they bring out sequel number 12.

Strike

:D Nice commercial (That's fucking crazy that all that was done in-engine). I hope this gets played around the clock and hopefully gets followed up with some more commercials that show some gameplay.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, that ad was amazing. It really captured the feel of the game and showed just how much of a graphical powerhouse it is. I've seen so much media for the game that I just kind of got desensitized to how good it looked. That ad reminded me in full force.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The update is partially up guys. I'm downloading the 1080p version of that trailer right now. I see ZUMA there too. The acutal new page hasn't fully updated yet though.

careksims

Just watched it on the HDTV. I cannot believe this is In-game engine stuff! Holy crap! The days thinking it's just bullshot cg stuff... now a reality.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Really nice ad.

It will be great to see that interactive making-of version of this.

SolidSnakex said:
The bullet is the only thing that didn't seem "real" in the add. Aside from that, everything else looked like it does in the game. The models, explosions, dust particles ect.
Cutscene. They can throw whatever amount of detail they want on a focus point. Doesn't mean actual in-game bullets would be nearly as detailed, but in a cutscene, they could certainly render them like that for an occasion.

Esch

Banned
those hi res screencaps are ballin'

and wtf. Did the engine randomly improve again or something? That looks better to me than a lot of the recent footage.

I was ready to put money down that Sony was going to completely fu@#$ this up.

Congrats Sony so far so good. Hopefully they were holding back on advertising
the game till now so they could absolutely saturate the market with it.

2 million goes a long way toward 2 to 3 weeks of ads instead of being spread over
4-5 weeks. They can buy a lot more prime time spots. At least in the UK.

I wonder how much the budget is for US.

Top Bottom