• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Zen

Banned
Can't anyone remember that youtube video that compared Killzone 2's 'input lag' against other FPS games? The 'Killzone 2 has input lag' thing is popping up in the other Killzone 2 thread that came up recently.

I found these numbers, from a PS user who said he made videos but I'm looking for the actually videos, etc that were posted here (though I can't seem to find it now).

Killzone 2 (v1.11) -- 7/30ths of a second
Killzone 2 (v1.20) -- 5/30ths of a second
Call of Duty: World at War (v.1.03) -- 4.5-5/30ths of a second
Metal Gear Solid 4 (v1.0) -- 5-5.5/30ths of a second
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (v1.10) -- 4.5-5/30ths of a second

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&message.id=244166

TheFatOne

Zen said:
Can't anyone remember that youtube video that compared Killzone 2's 'input lag' against other FPS games? The 'Killzone 2 has input lag' thing is popping up in the other Killzone 2 thread that came up recently.

I found these numbers, from a PS user who said he made videos but I'm looking for the actually videos, etc that were posted here (though I can't seem to find it now).

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&message.id=244166

cool story bro

Zen

Banned
It's more to do with the response time when you fire the gun. I seems to remember it being right in the ballpark with Halo 3 as far as 30FPS shooters went.

TheFatOne said:
cool story bro

Cool story bro.

cakefoo

The first controls patch did a great job improving the game-wide input lag from 5 frames down to about 3. In doing so, GG themselves validated some of the complaints.

trk_rkd

Banned
Zen said:

Yeah they had similar results on digital foundry on eurogamer, kz2 was like 3ms higher than cod4 and halo 3, 9ms vs 12 ms. (i.e. fuck all difference really, the difference between almost nothing and almost almost nothing). people confused the huge deadzone (which *was* excessive, pre-patch) with input lag. or they were just trolling. input lag in kz2 has always been fine, and high precision fixes the deadzone problem. trolls will be trolls...

JB1981

serious question - is there some kind of aiming cheat in MP. I played against this clan last night and they were the most accurate players i've ever played against. i mean, i'm not the best player in the world but these guys literally did not even take a second to aim and headshotted my ass all day. there was no way these guys were this good. i refuse to believe it. there has to be some kind of quick aim trick or something .... please tell me there is **checks youtube**

JB1981 said:
serious question - is there some kind of aiming cheat in MP. I played against this clan last night and they were the most accurate players i've ever played against. i mean, i'm not the best player in the world but these guys literally did not even take a second to aim and headshotted my ass all day. there was no way these guys were this good. i refuse to believe it. there has to be some kind of quick aim trick or something .... please tell me there is **checks youtube**

They know how to use the autoaim wisely and are probably good at estimating network lag and performing lag-aim compensation (when you play this game A LOT, you will notice how some stuff works that you can't really understand without a lot of experience).

Or - they are using FRAGFX.

KZObsessed

JB1981 said:

If you were dying instantly, not just from headshots, then it was most likely lag. Possibly host advantage if it seemed like you were a second "behind" them. Were they an EU clan in an EU server? They were most likely the ones who created the game unless they came in after you.

There was one guy in a game I played last weekend who created a server and he was literally killing people in 1 shot and killing 3 at a time. On top of that he was warping around and moving faster than anyone else, even though Assault/Boost was not enabled. There's all sorts of laggy bullshit that goes on in this game. You eventually learn to spot it all. I've seen all sorts of crazy things. It's not just death delay and warping.

The clan game that made me stop playing them completely, was a game against an Argentinian clan, who would kill you with a shotty before they'd come round the corner. So you'd be standing at a corner on Tharsis, you'd know there was a guy round the corner, he'd know you were there. Then bam. He kills you with a shotgun somehow even though he's on the other side of the wall, then you see him pop and out and fire. :lol And oh, getting killed in 1 shot by Air Drones after spawning. That's fun. Lag is KZ2's biggest flaw, which needs to be rectified for KZ3.

Facism said:
FFO i'll send a message to Raist when i find my phone charger -_-

Fooking flimsy PoS Nokia thing.

Cheers Live!

KZObsessed

dark10x said:
Anyone have any tips for improving ones game? A friend and I played this last night (same room, two displays, two PS3s) and some of the matches were just beyond brutal. It's so difficult to stay alive in this game.

We were stuck playing games without rank limitations (as we were different levels) and playing against high rank players was nearly impossible in some instances.

There is something compelling about this game that drew me in, however.

Sure. First things first, try and find a game with the Assault Class disabled. It's the 4th symbol on the bottom row when selecting a server. Now when it comes to shooting, obviously I don't know how you play, but just in case, don't play the game like it's CoD. ie. don't iron sight all the time. In fact ging down the sights is usually just for long range. Occasionally from Medium range if he not looking at you or if you feel you need a quick accuracy boost to kill someone. Most of the time, short-medium range, its best to simply crouch and shoot. Obviously the guns have quite a large spread, so you have to control that when you shoot. It's rare that you can simply hold down R1 and get a kill unless you're really close. So initially you have to tap R1 a couple of times until you get the red cross that tells you that you've hit. When you get that cross, a quite significant auto aim kicks in where subsequent shots are more likely to hit even if normally the spread would be too great. So the usual tactic is tap-tap-hold of R1. This is for the main ISA Rifle usually, which is the best weapon in the game.

Now, spawns in the game can be brutal. The Tacticians in this game are mostly god awful. They're either retarded or just don't give a fuck. Probably both. So use the camera that shows you the surrounding area before spawning. If there are enemies around who'll just kill you straight away, spawn at base! And then come up behind them! It's also best to avoid Body count only games as high level players hang out in them in groups trying to farm new players for points :lol Stick to objective games and try and play in smaller rooms. In larger games if your team is quite poor you can get base camped pretty bad. Hope that helps. Despite the flaws and the fact the entire game revolves around how competent your teams tacticians are, there's no online game that's more fun.

FFObsessed said:
Despite the flaws and the fact the entire game revolves around how competent your teams tacticians are, there's no online game that's more fun.
It is in a clan with serious people that this game really shines.

Here's a hint. When you're in a firefight with an opponent and both of you go into cover - wait for 1 second and RUSH OUT. Most players have this reflex that makes them go for their grenade almost as soon as both of you're in cover (probably thinking they are going to smoke you out with explosive :lol). Rushing right into them while they're pulling the trigger on the grenade makes them sitting ducks.

Of course, this can go quite wrong (e.g. the opponent doesn't have any grenades, or, even worst, you have low health, he has high health and no grenades :lol).

ChryZ

FFObsessed said:
Lag is KZ2's biggest flaw, which needs to be rectified for KZ3.
Cracking down on lag in a p2p setup would mean: no cross region gaming, enforced ping threshold to kick laggy clients, smaller amount of players per match and less awesome. Let's hope for dedicated servers, those would help a bit.

Another great way to use grenades is NOT hold them so they explode as soon as they hit the ground.
If you are defending a place against C4 or something. Throw grenades in a door opening you know people are going to come from. They will probably see the grenades and wait for them to explode before going in. This buys you time if a lot of your team-mates are dead or if you need to reload.
If a team mate is planting or disarming. Stand next to him and cover him. Spraying bullets in the direction most enemies come from. Will also buy you those extra seconds that could win you the objective.
I don't know how many clan matches we won when we had a lot less kills than the other team. Sure in public games this things don't work as well.
I loved going against bad clans that didn't get the difference between clan matches and public. Damn idiots playing as Saboteur in a clan match :lol Sure if you like the SMG but your'e not going to fool anyone.

Az

I will most likely fire up Killzone2 tonight for a couple of games. Really missed it, but was too busy with games that came out recently.
Might see some of you tonight, don't be too harsh on me it's been a while.

Facism

Tenkai Star said:
It is in a clan with serious people that this game really shines.

Agree. Some of the GAFe clan games i've been in were amazing games. Helped we had a CL who was on top of strategies and individual roles :D We used to receive PMS with the maps and directions, squad makeups and classes, strategies for attack and defence for each mode.

When it went well, we were a well oiled machine.

KZObsessed

Facism said:
Agree. Some of the GAFe clan games i've been in were amazing games. Helped we had a CL who was on top of strategies and individual roles :D We used to receive PMS with the maps and directions, squad makeups and classes, strategies for attack and defence for each mode.

When it went badly tho, we were just well oiled.

edit: oh and I never read them :lol

JB1981

FFObsessed said:
If you were dying instantly, not just from headshots, then it was most likely lag. Possibly host advantage if it seemed like you were a second "behind" them. Were they an EU clan in an EU server? They were most likely the ones who created the game unless they came in after you.

There was one guy in a game I played last weekend who created a server and he was literally killing people in 1 shot and killing 3 at a time. On top of that he was warping around and moving faster than anyone else, even though Assault/Boost was not enabled. There's all sorts of laggy bullshit that goes on in this game. You eventually learn to spot it all. I've seen all sorts of crazy things. It's not just death delay and warping.

The clan game that made me stop playing them completely, was a game against an Argentinian clan, who would kill you with a shotty before they'd come round the corner. So you'd be standing at a corner on Tharsis, you'd know there was a guy round the corner, he'd know you were there. Then bam. He kills you with a shotgun somehow even though he's on the other side of the wall, then you see him pop and out and fire. :lol And oh, getting killed in 1 shot by Air Drones after spawning. That's fun. Lag is KZ2's biggest flaw, which needs to be rectified for KZ3.

Cheers Live!

not sure, they sounded american. but yes, it felt like i was always a good second behind them. i would see them on my radar, wait for them to come around a corner and they'd pop out and kill me. every time. it was like i never had a chance. there is no way their aim was that accurate. impossible. i never even had a chance to engage them .. i was already dead.

Facism said:

Sounds you were in my clan XD I did that
Had strategies for different amount of player, who had played well with who and lots of stuff.

Facism

FFObsessed said:
When it went badly tho, we were just well oiled.

edit: oh and I never read them :lol

Then every loss is blamed on you not knowing your role :lol

Raist put a lot of effort into his strats and looking up the opposing teams stats and Battle Replays :(

KZObsessed

Gimme a gun and let me kill shit. That was my role
KlintIndifference.gif

JB1981 said:
not sure, they sounded american. but yes, it felt like i was always a good second behind them. i would see them on my radar, wait for them to come around a corner and they'd pop out and kill me. every time. it was like i never had a chance. there is no way their aim was that accurate. impossible. i never even had a chance to engage them .. i was already dead.

Um, forgive my ignorance, I've just been lurking in the thread for a long long time and somehow missed this, there's a radar in this game? Like all the time? Or just sometimes? Or tied to a class? etc. etc.

And just to note, in a laggy situation, you wanna be the guy coming around the corner. The guy might not be exactly where he looks like he is on your screen, but at least he won't be able to shoot you before you can even see him.

KZObsessed

Yes there's a radar in the game. By default you only show up on the radar when you shoot or use an ability like spawn grenades and C4. Or when you've been spotted and marked. You can set it so people show up on it all the time. But that's shit, no one does that.

FFObsessed said:
Yes there's a radar in the game. By default you only show up on the radar when you shoot or use an ability like spawn grenades and C4. Or when you've been spotted and marked. You can set it so people show up on it all the time. But that's shit, no one does that.

Gotcha thanks!

MoFuzz

trk_rkd said:
Yeah they had similar results on digital foundry on eurogamer, kz2 was like 3ms higher than cod4 and halo 3, 9ms vs 12 ms. (i.e. fuck all difference really, the difference between almost nothing and almost almost nothing). people confused the huge deadzone (which *was* excessive, pre-patch) with input lag. or they were just trolling. input lag in kz2 has always been fine, and high precision fixes the deadzone problem. trolls will be trolls...

It's been awhile since I played the game, but I seem to remember scrolling up and down in menus and even firing (R1) having a slight delay between input and action on screen. Would this not constitute input lag? This was after the high precision patch came out.

Also, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but why did they change the way the sensitivity works for multiplayer as opposed to the campaign? MP obviously seems much more responsive.

TTG

Is it ok to talk about the single player campaign for a bit? I just got my ps3 and KZ2 came bundled in. I've made it to the
flying terminator 3 looking
boss so far. Started out on hard difficulty.

I'm a little surprised at how close to the vest it's been so far. Most of the game is spent in close range shootouts that rarely venture out to a couple of mid range targets. Which isn't to say that it doesn't do close range combat well, actually it's very good, just weird considering how the controls are set up. There have been a few situations with some mid range stuff, and those have been the best part of the game so far. So, does the game open up more in the second half?

TTG said:
Is it ok to talk about the single player campaign for a bit? I just got my ps3 and KZ2 came bundled in. I've made it to the
flying terminator 3 looking
boss so far. Started out on hard difficulty.

I'm a little surprised at how close to the vest it's been so far. Most of the game is spent in close range shootouts that rarely venture out to a couple of mid range targets. Which isn't to say that it doesn't do close range combat well, actually it's very good, just weird considering how the controls are set up. There have been a few situations with some mid range stuff, and those have been the best part of the game so far. So, does the game open up more in the second half?
Wow, it's like people think this is the Killzone 2 Official Thread or some shit. :p

The answer to your question is: it does certainly open up in some areas, but let's just say that the game gives you some "tools" later on that make short-range combat a lot more satisfying. :D

JB1981

FFO: how do i accept your clan invite? it's not showing up for me ... although wait ... i think it says i am now in GAFe clan ...

KZObsessed

JB1981 said:
FFO: how do i accept your clan invite? it's not showing up for me ... although wait ... i think it says i am now in GAFe clan ...

It's been a while for me :p but either go to your messages in game, or go to the clan page I think.

Getting the turret ribbon is so annoying. How do you people do it? I really want the repair ability so I can use it as sab. My sta14 runs out of ammo quick and I hate having to rely on my teammates repairing ammo crates.

Steroyd

I feel your pain.

High places for headshots is a nice place to start, putting it in obscure places, where it's not immediately visible but can hit the target also helps to, especially if it's guarding the C4 spots in search and destroy, also placing them in tight corridors gets kills faster.

Also don't forget to try and defend your turrets, the turret is the M82 to your shotgun.

The main problem with the turrets is that in huge games, the opposition can destroy your turrets in mere seconds, and it takes so long outside of dying before you can build another one.

Oh and if your teammates placed a redundant Turret somewhere destroy it, to open up a slot.

TTG

Just got through the sandstorm level leading up to the
train
. The game is really starting to hit it's sweet spot. It's actually fun now, not just purty :lol

TTG said:
Just got through the sandstorm level leading up to the
train
. The game is really starting to hit it's sweet spot. It's actually fun now, not just purty :lol

SHUSH.... you're not allowed to say killzone is fun!
:D

Facism

So let's get a mixed 7v7 going sometime.

I'd assume Sunday would be safe for people both in EU/US, like around 10pm GMT? No set teams, just join (me and FFO would have to be on different teams though, because it's be a spitroast otherwise).

TTG

Got through the train and most of the refinery. The super conservative game design is back for seconds and thirds. Either Guerrilla thought it could only handle very rudimentary fps design or the bulk of the resources went in another direction(multiplayer?). And the only breaks to this are spawn point encounters, turrets and the walking tank with a weak spot scenario... arghhh. I really didn't want this to turn into an average shooter with great graphics, but it's sure making a great case so far. Desperately need more sandstorm levels :/

I'm gonna play a lot today in order to unlock the sniper (lonnnnggg way to go, I'm only halfway.).
Always wanted to try it... my motivation is back !

TTG

Finished the campaign today, it ended on a high note. The sandstorm level leading up to the train and Visari palace were very well done, if the whole game could keep up to that kind of a level it would be a legit AAA title(for me anyway). I think there's a very solid foundation here for a third game. It's obviously the best looking shooter around and it controls well too. If they can get the encounter design to be consistently high, like say Visari Palace, and take a few more chances with the environments(now that they crossed factories and sewers off their list...) it would be very good indeed. :D

Now I need to try the multiplayer.

Lince said:
I hope we can have some games scheduled for this weekend, I'll need to play for a bit beforehand since I'm playing too much MW2 these days (damn you Dezimator, aj2Good and lyulf) so I'm completely lost when I go back to KZ2, I want to live up to the legend I was back in the day >:O
lol. Right.

DigiMish

Got my platinum, so I'm happy. Gonna stop for a short while. Considering buying the map packs, but probably won't, although I'm interested in the nail gun and flamethrower. Are those map specific weapons available to every class or just soldier?

Steroyd

Never playing in a match with friendly fire switched on, here's me thinking people would have more thought then running in rocket launcher first boy was I wrong, and ontop of that some dipshit was team killing for fun, why do people do that!?

KZ needs some type of kick player feature or at least a nomination when friendly fire is switched on.

Steroyd said:
Never playing in a match with friendly fire switched on, here's me thinking people would have more thought then running in rocket launcher first boy was I wrong, and ontop of that some dipshit was team killing for fun, why do people do that!?

KZ needs some type of kick player feature or at least a nomination when friendly fire is switched on.
Select -> Square -> Vote to kick.

Firestorm said:
I just started the game this week. Does it get significantly better after the first level?
Yes, it most certainly does.

Firestorm

Ok good, because that was reaaally underwhelming but I remember people saying it took a while for the game to really click so I'm hoping that's what it is. Nice looking and sounding game though.

Dibbz

Why is the spectate cam so damn close to the person you are following?!

Anyways some images I took with my camera. What I would do for a photo mode in KZ2 :|

4169193865_29c78f9531.jpg

4169958234_711cce6927.jpg

4169195551_3759e1b6a4_o.gif

4169196205_b17e506e84_o.gif

Top Bottom