• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dibbz said:
Why is the spectate cam so damn close to the person you are following?!

Anyways some images I took with my camera. What I would do for a photo mode in KZ2 :|

I think its so you can see who they are looking at. Rather than a very wide set one that gives you more of a look of the field like other games.

Dibbz

Yeah I guess but I'd love to be able to zoom out a bit and see the player model a bit more. Even spin around the player to see their front. No one uses tactics on KZ2 so it's not like people would use it to cheat in public games.

So I got Killzone 2 at launch and loved it, but the multiplayer never took off in my gaming circle for a variety of reasons. After playing a bunch of MW2 I'm getting the urge to give KZ2 another go, but I haven't kept up to date on any changes/patches since the precision controls were added. I have a few questions:

If you play with friends are you guaranteed to be on the same team?

Can Skirmish mode be played online with friends? I figure we could obliterate some bots together and work on level strategies.

Anything else I should know that might have changed in the game?

Dibbz

NullPointer said:
So I got Killzone 2 at launch and loved it, but the multiplayer never took off in my gaming circle for a variety of reasons. After playing a bunch of MW2 I'm getting the urge to give KZ2 another go, but I haven't kept up to date on any changes/patches since the precision controls were added. I have a few questions:

If you play with friends are you guaranteed to be on the same team?

Can Skirmish mode be played online with friends? I figure we could obliterate some bots together and work on level strategies.

Anything else I should know that might have changed in the game?
Yeah if you join a friend through the join friend screen you will automatically be put in their squad and stay their through all matches in that server. Although if team balancing is on and teams are stacked you may not end up on the same team.

You could at launch then they took out bots then I think they put them back in and I think they are still there but I'm not 100% on that. I think you'd have to set the game as unranked to play with bots and friends.

KZ is really fun but considering how much time was put into developing it I'm dissapointed on some of the oversights that they made on the design side of things. Maps are incredibly unbalanced, class system is fubar, certain classes are way too overpowering (tactician and engineer) and the whole set your own game rules is stupid. Tons more but I'm not gonna waste time getting into all of it.

Saying that I still love playing it now and again even after I got my platinum just for fun. Subconsciously I think I play it still to see what could have been rather that what is.

Dibbz said:
Yeah if you join a friend through the join friend screen you will automatically be put in their squad and stay their through all matches in that server. Although if team balancing is on and teams are stacked you may not end up on the same team.
So there's no guarantee eh? I'd imagine most servers would run with team balancing on. THIS was the primary reason we didn't end up playing Killzone together. Sucks to hear it hasn't been updated or fixed.

Dibbz said:
You could at launch then they took out bots then I think they put them back in and I think they are still there but I'm not 100% on that. I think you'd have to set the game as unranked to play with bots and friends.
Are you talking about Skirmish mode here? I remember when Guerilla removed the ability to boost via bots, but yeah, just playing online with friends against bots would still be a decent time if it was available.

I've been getting the urge to try it again because MW2 just feels like there is too much junk to it. So many perks and equipment combos that the balance from COD4 has been completely lost. That and I love the way Killzone controls, even if it is jarring to many.

Dibbz

NullPointer said:
So there's no guarantee eh? I'd imagine most servers would run with team balancing on. THIS was the primary reason we didn't end up playing Killzone together. Sucks to hear it hasn't been updated or fixed.

Are you talking about Skirmish mode here? I remember when Guerilla removed the ability to boost via bots, but yeah, just playing online with friends against bots would still be a decent time if it was available.

I've been getting the urge to try it again because MW2 just feels like there is too much junk to it. So many perks and equipment combos that the balance from COD4 has been completely lost. That and I love the way Killzone controls, even if it is jarring to many.
Most of the time I have no problems joining with friends and getting in their teams. About 95% of the time I join their team and get put in a squad with them.

Yeah I'm almost sure that bots were put back into online so you can play with friends and bots at the same time.

Dibbz said:
Most of the time I have no problems joining with friends and getting in their teams. About 95% of the time I join their team and get put in a squad with them.

Yeah I'm almost sure that bots were put back into online so you can play with friends and bots at the same time.

Thanks for the info. Any idea whether its possible to play a private, unranked match with friends against bots like Skirmish mode? Skirmish mode has all the kits unlocked and that's really what I'm looking for. Not for competitive purposes - just for shits and giggles.

I wish it was easier to find solid info about this game. The official website is pretty useless.

Dibbz

NullPointer said:
Thanks for the info. Any idea whether its possible to play a private, unranked match with friends against bots like Skirmish mode? Skirmish mode has all the kits unlocked and that's really what I'm looking for. Not for competitive purposes - just for shits and giggles.

I wish it was easier to find solid info about this game. The official website is pretty useless.
Since you'd have to go online into Warzone to connect to your friends you would only have the kits you had unlocked through multiplayer. When you add bots online it automatically goes unranked and you can set a password so only your friends join.

Dibbz said:
Since you'd have to go online into Warzone to connect to your friends you would only have the kits you had unlocked through multiplayer. When you add bots online it automatically goes unranked and you can set a password so only your friends join.
Gotcha.

Well. Damn. Thanks anyway.

Dreavus

Got the game earlier today, and fired it up just a few hours ago for some multi with one of my buddies. I have to say, I really love the atmosphere of the game so far, even in multiplayer. I don't know if it's because I'm a new player or not, but sometimes you get that that insane "eye of the storm" moment where we're defending a position with several air bots flying around, turrets set up, grenades flying everywhere, and you get that "damn, this is fucking awesome" feeling. :lol

The only thing I can't figure out is how to tell who is a Saboteur and who isn't. They seem to just pop out sometimes and it's really hard to tell before hand. Is there a trick to it like in TF2 where they can't run through you or something? I checked the manual but it didn't give me much info aside from "the saboteur can disguise as other players". :p

ChryZ

Dibbz said:
4169193865_29c78f9531.jpg
The lighting in this game is insane.

tiddles

Dreavus said:
The only thing I can't figure out is how to tell who is a Saboteur and who isn't. They seem to just pop out sometimes and it's really hard to tell before hand. Is there a trick to it like in TF2 where they can't run through you or something? I checked the manual but it didn't give me much info aside from "the saboteur can disguise as other players". :p

If you hold your crosshair over them within a certain range, it will briefly flicker red (same with their name). Other ways to tell are that they don't have any lights (HGH eye lights, ISA chest lights), and they will always appear as the standard infantry man.

borsdy

Banned
I thought on the default server radar that spies do show up when they fired like every other class?

edit:doh i read the posts above wrong

DigiMish said:
Considering buying the map packs, but probably won't, although I'm interested in the nail gun and flamethrower. Are those map specific weapons available to every class or just soldier?
Any class can pick them up. They initially spawn at the midpoint of the level: first come, first served. After that you can grab them off the dead body of the previous user. (There's actually a way to make more than one spawn, but I don't remember what it was.) Note that the weapons are each restricted to the level they come in; they don't become options in the regular levels or other DLC. Both are pretty fun to use--very dominating--but the flamethrower level is very narrow and restrictive, which really exacerbates the chaos of KZ 2 multiplayer. A lot of people hate that chaos (I actually like it, albeit in measured doses), so bear in mind. The boltgun level is very nice, though.

Concept17

Just started playing this game again for the first time in months. Its amazing how quickly everyone seems to have forgotten how great it looks. Its beyond anything out there, and the only thing I've seen better of elsewhere, is textures. I also almost gave up right away because I wasn't used to the controls anymore, but I kept going, turned up the sensitivity a bit, and it finally starting flowing much better.

Even the textures (although inconsistent) are awesome. Specifically, the part where you get in that bucket where you get the lightning gun. That bucket rim has spectacular textures...

Way off topic here. Picking up component cables for someone who owns a PS3. Can I just pick up any component cables or does it have to be specific to the PS3? Don't own a PS3 myself.
Thanks!!

CitizenCope said:
Way off topic here. Picking up component cables for someone who owns a PS3. Can I just pick up any component cables or does it have to be specific to the PS3? Don't own a PS3 myself.
Thanks!!
The component cables for the PS2 work with the PS3. You need a proprietary cable or it won't fit in the back of the PS3.

ps2componentvideocable.gif

Afrikan

user friendly said:
The component cables for the PS2 work with the PS3. You need a proprietary cable or it won't fit in the back of the PS3.

[IMGhttp://img.game.co.uk/images/gameware/ps2componentvideocable.gif[/IMG]

ewww, component....and they're not even gold plated... :x

CitizenCope, does your friend's T.V. not have DVI at least?

Dreavus

God, I was trying to play last night and I kept getting disconnected under error code 8013. I thought it might be my internet, but I'm on a wired connection and I never got kicked off of PSN once, so it doesn't seem like it. Pretty frustrating. :(

I also just got my Engineer badge, which is pretty cool. Didn't get to play around with it too much considering all the d/c's, but the shottie is pretty godly when coming around tight corners.

JB1981

tiddles said:
If you hold your crosshair over them within a certain range, it will briefly flicker red (same with their name). Other ways to tell are that they don't have any lights (HGH eye lights, ISA chest lights), and they will always appear as the standard infantry man.

- matchmaking
- dedicated servers
- a variety of playlists

for KZ3 PLZKTHX.

Facism

No to matchmaking. Server browser is the correct path, and allows me to drop in and drop out of games without having a shitty system decide what i should play and what the rules are.

Dibbz

Matchmaking please or do servers like Socom where you can't change anything and GG set the rules.

Dedicated servers and balance the damn classes or at least restrict the amount of classes each team can have eg. 2 engineers, 1 scout etc.

Massa

Facism said:
No to matchmaking. Server browser is the correct path, and allows me to drop in and drop out of games without having a shitty system decide what i should play and what the rules are.

I'd rather have a matchmaking system with GG setting the rules.

Afrikan said:
ewww, component....and they're not even gold plated... :x

CitizenCope, does your friend's T.V. not have DVI at least?

Have no idea it's actually for a family "in need" for x-mas through the Salvation Army. The kid only asked for that and Valkyria Chronicles. Going out to look for both now. Wish me luck.
Thanks User Friendly!

borsdy

Banned
You can still have matchmaking and dedicated servers, thou I'd like the option of looking at a serverlist of what is available too.

Facism

Massa said:
I'd rather have a matchmaking system with GG setting the rules.

you wouldn't. if gg set the rules, all games would be 100% assault boosters and 32 players. Their official tournament (which we won) was exactly that. spamfest clusterfuck. thank god for players who provide 8v8 max with assault off, whilst others provide whatever clusterfuck arse others enjoy.

Dreavus

Facism said:
you wouldn't. if gg set the rules, all games would be 100% assault boosters and 32 players. Their official tournament (which we won) was exactly that. spamfest clusterfuck. thank god for players who provide 8v8 max with assault off

Haha, yeah. In my extremely limited experience, boost just seems retarded. At my skill level not many people have the class yet, so it's not a big deal most of the time, but every so often I'll see one of them grabbing the propaganda and instantly disappearing across the horizon with 3 guys trying to shoot him and failing. I don't know about them, but making a class that has extra health and runs twice as fast seems like a really bad idea to me. :lol

M3Freak

Banned
Facism said:

I don't like servers. Match making FTW.

JB1981

j-wood said:
I've been getting back into this. Are the map packs worth picking up?

no, no one plays them. honestly, the mp is pretty much dead. you can get into a decent game here and there but the community has moved on imo.

j-wood

JB1981 said:
no, no one plays them. honestly, the mp is pretty much dead. you can get into a decent game here and there but the community has moved on imo.

Really? I played earlier today and the server list was pretty expansive still

jett said:
Guerrilla, listen, and listen well:

FUCK MATCHMAKING

Plz stick to your guns at least in this. :|

I don't know how to bold bold or capitalize caps, but this statement needs repeating. I think that perhaps servers with more rank restrictions (and a rank based at least in some way on skill) might work. Server lists give the online longer legs and allow gamers to get into the games they want when they want. However, I do think that GG should take a page from Incog. and limit ranked servers to a specific rule set with anything else being unranked (i.e. unranked if no team balancing).

Limiting class types doesn't sound like much fun, though tacticians should be able to disable their teams spawn points just as an engineer can either repair or destroy a turret.

Dedicated ranked servers and a hardcore ranked mode (team balancing and ff-on) with adjustments to the classes and additional weapon choices would be great. Also, more maps like Salamun (or variable map sizes like R:FoM/Warcraft) and warzone needs an overhaul to make it more cohesive and less predictable/exploitable.

JB1981 said:

Over the past week there has been a "New maps only" server up most evenings. However, the people setting it up sometimes have the radar turned on so everyone shows up all the time (which is one step removed from one hit kills in my book), or they won't put team balancing on.

Unfortunately it seems that the majority of the remaining community has gravitated towards 32p cluster-fucks using the entire original map set. 32p on Tharsis or Blood Gracht is a fucking joke, then add in the Assault class with friendly fire off and super long objectives (search and destroy for 30 min with a 2 min timer!) and you get to see the game at it's worst.

GG - next time, let me see what map is IN PLAY on a server, as well as the full rule set, before I join.

Played for the first time in months tonight... so depressing to see every default map but Radec Academy totally dead. I know it's Saturday night, but c'mon. Warhawk, with zero promotion, has been chugging along for years. God damn. Still my GOTY though.

revolverjgw said:
Played for the first time in months tonight... so depressing to see every default map but Radec Academy totally dead. I know it's Saturday night, but c'mon. Warhawk, with zero promotion, has been chugging along for years. God damn. Still my GOTY though.

Yeah, been playing a lot of body count on Radec with 32 players lately :/

Lots of base camping.

Whenever I'm helghast and my team gets shut inside the base, we always lose. The ISA team puts a spawn inside our base and somehow they have the advantage? If only my teammates didn't constantly try to keep running out like rambos with guns blazing just to get mowed down in three seconds, we might actually win those.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Played the first four chapters of this last night. The graphics and sound are top notch. The combat is very good once you get used to the way the controls are mapped out (I still don't like having to hold a button to crouch or pressing in an analog stick to iron sight, but oh well). The use of cover and blind fire is really well done. The plot is paper thin but that isn't so bad after MW2. :lol

Are there still a good number of people playing this online? If Uncharted 2 multiplayer doesn't click for me I might add this into the rotation with MW2 and Tekken 6 for online games.

imprecise!

Neo Member
After picking this up for the first time last week, I hit lieutenant-colonel (1 star) rank tonight and graduated the the big boys servers. Good lord, getting thrown in with the max rank people who've been playing for nine months is no fun at all. What had been an awesome objective-focused game in the lower level servers is now a 32 player clusterfuck of rockets and robots. Seems like there should be a more extensive ranking system that doesn't conclude with players being thrown to the wolves after ten hours of online play. I went from top-of-the-pack to virtually ineffectual with a single rank-up.

ZeroRay

imprecise! said:
After picking this up for the first time last week, I hit lieutenant-colonel (1 star) rank tonight and graduated the the big boys servers. Good lord, getting thrown in with the max rank people who've been playing for nine months is no fun at all. What had been an awesome objective-focused game in the lower level servers is now a 32 player clusterfuck of rockets and robots. Seems like there should be a more extensive ranking system that doesn't conclude with players being thrown to the wolves after ten hours of online play. I went from top-of-the-pack to virtually ineffectual with a single rank-up.

The game was at it's best when you were at your lower levels. GG needs to keep the next game from being a chaotic mess at the higher lvls.

And just go with the Warhawk method or even the Resistance method of dedicated servers, server browser and matchmaking.

ZeroRay said:
And just go with the Warhawk method or even the Resistance method of dedicated servers, server browser and matchmaking.

Best option, Warhawk got it right. Kinda sad Killzone 2 didn't win any awards at the VGAs, it deserved it.

Matchmaking should be put in the game for the sake of game success, it's just what majority of the console fps market wants sadly, but it should only be for ranked play.

Full dedicated server and server lists should be supported for unranked play and other methods.

Top Bottom