• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

-viper-

Banned
Firestorm said:
Yeah I just finished the sixth level and I do not like Rico and especially Natko. I'm hoping Natko dies by the end of the game. Garza's probably the only character I like. The controls were patched apparently so that's why you're probably fine with them. I don't have an issue with them aside from mixing up buttons since I just came out of Uncharted 2.

The FOV is awful. It's obvious why, but I can't help but wish they took the other option. It's purposefully set to a really narrow field of view so that they could make the visuals on screen as good as they are. It's really disorienting for me at times and I find myself lost quite often and having to figure out where neutral ground is again. It's the most frustrating part of the game for me.

It's a decent shooter I find so far. No where close to as good as Uncharted 2 and not in my GOTY list at all, but not a bad $20 - $30 purchase.
Garza is awesome. Natko is annoying. Rico is an idiot.

I don't like the writing in the game. Prefer the dialogue from say, MW2.

Zen

Banned
trk_rkd said:
I can understand why you mightn't like the FOV but I doubt it was done for technical reasons. I don't think narrowing the FOV would greatly facilitate the amount of geometry/effects you can represent at any one time in a given FOV (and would make zero difference for post processing, which is were most of kz2 technical prowess comes from). Games generally don't do pov lod - gta does but it's very easily detectable, i've never noticed that in kz3. spinning around quickly can lower the frame rate a little but it doesn't cause pop in/texture load in, which is what you'd expect if they were running pov lod. if you've ever played around with fov console commands in unreal tournament or quake you'll know that fov makes no difference to the frame rate. like the lower perspective & weighty controls i think kz2's narrower fov was done to make things feel more claustrophobic and intimate... all three of those things have had their detractors, of course.

Since KZ2 doesn't render some lights until their onscreen, I guess you would, mildly, increase that at any given time, but I doubt it would be such a big deal (Deferred Rendering and all).

Although it is sort of funny how KZ1 did widescreen right (by actually adding to the sides) and KZ2 doesn't. I think Bioshock use to have the same issue pre patch.

So is the multiplayer great? Good DLC maps and whatnot? I kind of want the game for Christmas BUT I've already rented and beaten it, just wondering if the online would keep me busy for a while.

-viper-

Banned
Best MP FPS game I played. Not everyone will like it, but no harm in trying out.

Lince said:
joke post? Oscar Mike? really?
Better than hearing Rico (and Natko) talk!

'fucking higs. fuck you. fuck this. fucking heal me motherfucker'

Dialogue in KZ2 was pretty bad. It was obviously someone whose seen too many war movies and decided that every other word out of soldiers mouths is "fuck". As much as I don't care about MW2, it merely sticks to military terms instead of "fuck fuck fuckity fuck helghast fuck shit mother fuckers fuck"

timkunedo

BattleMonkey said:
Dialogue in KZ2 was pretty bad. It was obviously someone whose seen too many war movies and decided that every other word out of soldiers mouths is "fuck". As much as I don't care about MW2, it merely sticks to military terms instead of "fuck fuck fuckity fuck helghast fuck shit mother fuckers fuck"

They just need to kill off Rico extremely early in kz3 and that problem will be solved. Would also make a LOT of people happy i think.

tiddles

Zen said:
If you're ever lost, pressing up on the DPAD will show you where you need to go.

Though I never found the FOV to be an issue, and I've been playing a decent amount of CoD. It would be interesting to see a realtime FOV adjustment. The game does a good job of focusing your attention, so it wasn't a problem for me. Is it the horizontal or vertical FOV that's an issue for you?

Killzone 2's FOV is actually pretty close to COD's (console versions, not PC ones where you have the option to set it wider).

Trevelyan

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

Well, as someone who has been in the military, and still has many friends who are enlisted, I can assure you that the dialogue is pretty damn accurate; they swear A LOT. I swore a lot in the military. So yeah, I think the dialogue and usage of words is dead-on.

M3Freak

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

Meh. F-bombs may have been flung about too much, but that adds to K2's unique qualities and enjoyment.

I don't want to just play another MW2 copy.

scoobs

timkunedo said:
They just need to kill off Rico extremely early in kz3 and that problem will be solved. Would also make a LOT of people happy i think.

Oh god yes, he is incredibly annoying.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BattleMonkey said:
I think that the problem wasn't the actual dialogue, I've heard it was pretty accurate to what military speech is, the problem is with the delivery of the lines. A lot of the voice actors put odd emphasis on the swears which made it sound unnatural. Also, add me to the "Rico is the worst character in gaming in years" camp.

brandonh83 said:
So is the multiplayer great? Good DLC maps and whatnot? I kind of want the game for Christmas BUT I've already rented and beaten it, just wondering if the online would keep me busy for a while.

It is by far one of the most enjoyable online experiences on a console. The on-the-fly changing gametypes, some pretty darn cool maps and a solid community make it pretty easy to recommend,

Firestorm

trk_rkd said:
I can understand why you mightn't like the FOV but I doubt it was done for technical reasons. I don't think narrowing the FOV would greatly facilitate the amount of geometry/effects you can represent at any one time in a given FOV (and would make zero difference for post processing, which is were most of kz2 technical prowess comes from). Games generally don't do pov lod - gta does but it's very easily detectable, i've never noticed that in kz3. spinning around quickly can lower the frame rate a little but it doesn't cause pop in/texture load in, which is what you'd expect if they were running pov lod. if you've ever played around with fov console commands in unreal tournament or quake you'll know that fov makes no difference to the frame rate. like the lower perspective & weighty controls i think kz2's narrower fov was done to make things feel more claustrophobic and intimate... all three of those things have had their detractors, of course.
I see. I thought maybe that was the reason because I saw a bit of a drop in framerate, and as you noted, pop-in after I changed the FOV on Borderlands on the PC. I think you might be right that they did it to increase the sense of claustrophobia, but I really hate that so might be why I am not a fan at all.

Another reason I think it's affecting me so much is because I just came off of TF2, L4D2, and Borderlands on the PC. I remember not being too bothered by it in Halo 3 two years ago, but went back to play Co-op with my friends a few months ago and it took some getting used to. I think the camera at the hip combined with the FOV is throwing me off.

Like I said, beautiful visuals although they might have made a bigger impact on me before Uncharted 2!

Lince said:
joke post? Oscar Mike? really?
I think it's a sign of how bad Killzone 2's dialog is rather than how good MW2's is. KZ2 has the worst protagonists. [Profanity] [Racial Slur]!

Trevelyan said:
Well, as someone who has been in the military, and still has many friends who are enlisted, I can assure you that the dialogue is pretty damn accurate; they swear A LOT. I swore a lot in the military. So yeah, I think the dialogue and usage of words is dead-on.

And? Ton of stuff in the game is not accurate, why do I want to hear a bunch of stupid idiots talking. Yea I've seen combat footage of our troops and they do swear alot, "swear like a sailor", etc, but it's not something that is actually interesting.

I'm not asking for troops to be quoting shakespear, but after playing a game for hours on end, it gets annoying to keep hearing the stupid nonstop swearing.

M3Freak said:
Meh. F-bombs may have been flung about too much, but that adds to K2's unique qualities and enjoyment.

I don't want to just play another MW2 copy.

What does MW2 have to do with good dialogue? I rather care about the characters than be constantly annoyed by them. "what do you remember about Rico?" "fuck"

mm04

timkunedo said:

Funny, when you're
mourning over Garza's death and Rico starts talking to you to get a move on, the mission starts and you raise your weapon
, for a brief moment, I thought I was going to get to
kill Rico for basically causing Garza's death
. But alas, it wasn't to be. Hopefully, in KZ3.

Torgo

After playing a lot of MW2 the last couple of weeks, I think that I'm coming back to Killzone 2 as my primary online FPS. KZ2 is just a lot more solid, and the gameplay just suits me more.

I'm bummed that MW2's online doesn't seem as good as CoD4's online, but something's just not feeling right to me.

OK, this is random but after seeing a few of your guy's posts in order, I just have to speak up.

-viper-, you need to switch avatars with BattleMonkey:

cobraav181.jpg

And BattleMonkey, you need to switch with timkunedo

zvvdvp.jpg

I guess timkunedo can use -viper-'s current one. You're probably a biker anyhow.

image-9A87_4B257A3E.jpg

Ok, and now we return to our regularly scheduled Rico-needs-to-fucking-die thread. Thanks.

Rubezh

I just started playing this again after a pretty long break. I'm having a blast in multiplayer and I'm quite glad to see there's still a few servers with a bunch of level 1 - 3 beginners. I noticed a shit load of extra trophies for multiplayer but then I found out they were all from the DLC. It pisses me off that I have to buy the map packs to even think about getting anything close to 100%.

-viper-

Banned
NullPointer said:
OK, this is random but after seeing a few of your guy's posts in order, I just have to speak up.

-viper-, you need to switch avatars with BattleMonkey:

cobraav181.jpg

And BattleMonkey, you need to switch with timkunedo

zvvdvp.jpg

I guess timkunedo can use -viper-'s current one. You're probably a biker anyhow.

image-9A87_4B257A3E.jpg

Ok, and now we return to our regularly scheduled Rico-needs-to-fucking-die thread. Thanks.
That ain't no biker. It's THE STIG.

A.R.K

Snipes424 said:
So for KZ3, I think Guerrilla should Copy and paste the controls from BFBC2 and then everything will be great.

No thank you...the controls are fine as they are and I actually prefer how KZ2 controls compared to most other shooters that feel like gun on stick. With KZ's slower pace these controls fit it perfect.

Please GG ignore the controls change request. There are plenty of other shooters for ppl to play if you don't like these controls.

thaOwner

Am surprised a lot more people are not playing this game's multiplayer. Its fantastic and miles better than the single player campaign in almost everyway. I've never been a fan of multiplayer gaming but after beating the single player campaign, I decided to give this game's multi a try and to see what the buzz was all about. Am hooked. I marathoned this game over last weekend and unlocked every class and Brigade general'd this bitch. It's really solid and the multi controls like a dream.

Favorite maps are probably Corinth Crossing and that martket joint. Actually, any map with a turret is a personal favorite since am going with the engineer/tactician combo.

E: Also picked up a map pack. Will be getting the two additional packs before next year.

thaOwner said:
Am surprised a lot more people are not playing this game's multiplayer. Its fantastic and miles better than the single player campaign in almost everyway. I've never been a fan of multiplayer gaming but after beating the single player campaign, I decided to give this game's multi a try and to see what the buzz was all about. Am hooked. I marathoned this game over last weekend and unlocked every class and Brigade general'd this bitch. It's really solid and the multi controls like a dream.

Favorite maps are probably Corinth Crossing and that martket joint. Actually, any map with a turret is a personal favorite since am going with the engineer/tactician combo.

E: Also picked up a map pack. Will be getting the two additional packs before next year.

You're part of the problem.

Zen

Banned
tiddles said:
Killzone 2's FOV is actually pretty close to COD's (console versions, not PC ones where you have the option to set it wider).

Was is COD console set at in terms of FOV? I mean I've heard that Halo doesn't actually havea very wide FOV either. I might just be the FOV complete with how short the camera is that makes people feel disoriented. That and how dense any one environment in KZ2 can be, I suppose.

Snipes424 said:
So for KZ3, I think Guerrilla should Copy and paste the controls from BFBC2 and then everything will be great.

Since I'm not in the beta, can you elaborate on the controls?

EDIT: Crisis averted, I've settled on some tweaked visual settings that I'm happy with, if fact I think it might even be how the game is meant to look, judging by watching videos off my PC.

Dibbz

A.R.K said:
No thank you...the controls are fine as they are and I actually prefer how KZ2 controls compared to most other shooters that feel like gun on stick. With KZ's slower pace these controls fit it perfect.

Please GG ignore the controls change request. There are plenty of other shooters for ppl to play if you don't like these controls.
lol wut

KZ2 is anything but slow. Unless you're playing 1v1 or something. :|

Snipes424

Zen said:
Since I'm not in the beta, can you elaborate on the controls?

EDIT: Crisis averted, I've settled on some tweaked visual settings that I'm happy with, if fact I think it might even be how the game is meant to look, judging by watching videos off my PC.

Killzone 2 and BFBC2 have a similar style of control where the weapons have a "weight" to them. But in my opinion, BFBC2 does it better. Not to say I don't like Killzone 2's controls, its just that BFBC 2 feels perfect for me.

beast786 said:

I agree with that, MW2 was a huge letdown for me. I thought KZ2 was a much better game in every category.

Snipes424 said:
Killzone 2 and BFBC2 have a similar style of control where the weapons have a "weight" to them. But in my opinion, BFBC2 does it better. Not to say I don't like Killzone 2's controls, its just that BFBC 2 feels perfect for me.

I agree with that, MW2 was a huge letdown for me. I thought KZ2 was a much better game in every category.

Could you detail the feeling of BFBC2 a little more? Did they change it compared to the previous console Battlefield games? I didn't liked the feeling of those game at all, but if BC2 feels more like Killzone, I'll be very intersted.

Snipes424

RockmanWhore said:
Could you detail the feeling of BFBC2 a little more? Did they change it compared to the previous console Battlefield games? I didn't liked the feeling of those game at all, but if BC2 feels more like Killzone, I'll be very intersted.

Its hard to detail what if feels like because it could feel different to another person. The last BF game I played was on PC and it was 2142, so I can't compare it to the other console versions, but to me, it feels closest to is KZ2 when it comes to controls.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just got this and I have these impressions:

-30fps is somewhat sickening and with the shaky cam it is REALLY sickening.

-Healing friends: Why can't they electro-heal ME?

-How come I put the little dot on the guy's head and pull the trigger and he doesn't get hit in the head? Do guns become shitty in the future?

-For all their hard talk, the others could grow some balls. Oh shit, there is one guy left in a room, but we'll stand out here and wait for you to clear him out because that's all we were doing while you were off killing the other 30 guys.

The dialogue in MW2 is classy compared to the shitfest that is KZ2. There were parts in MW2 where I felt like a soldier, or at least a close approximation of what I think it would sound like to be a soldier. :p The reason it gets a bad rap is because of the constant chatter during the gameplay. The cutscenes do a good job of conveying a genuine conversation.

Killzone is a mess. Is it that hard to make a dudebro character? Apparently it is, because Rico is terrible.

Zen

Banned
Dice said:
I just got this and I have these impressions:

-30fps is somewhat sickening and with the shaky cam it is REALLY sickening.

Honestly I've never had this problem, and I can 120Hrz high auto motionplus my game and still not feel a thing. Oh well, everyone is different.

-How come I put the little dot on the guy's head and pull the trigger and he doesn't get hit in the head? Do guns become shitty in the future?

Are you spraying or single shoting? Make sure the dot is actually lined up and single shot (also this won't always kill an enemy because of their helmet or what have you) The guns are more realistic than other games that way.

Though: How Killzone 2 handles recoil and aiming is probably why there was such nonsense about the weapons feeling 'weak' in Killzone 2. The weapons arevery powerful, but they aren't auto aim city. Not that EVERY game should be like Killzone 2, or CoD, or Halo.

-For all their hard talk, the others could grow some balls. Oh shit, there is one guy left in a room, but we'll stand out here and wait for you to clear him out because that's all we were doing while you were off killing the other 30 guys.

Sort of agreed but the simple solution is to not be the first one charging in. The AI fights enemies a lot.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I'm playing this level and I blow up like 4 guys with a grenade launcher, which apparently also blows up some barrels. I'm supposed to "lower the bridge" so I'm just looking around, when I see this guy being pretty dumb. So what do I do? I shoot him with a grenade. He proceeds to get back up, on fire, and flail around because apparently fire hurts. My partner shoots him in the gut a few times, which he doesn't seem to like, but he continues running around writhing in fiery pain. I notice there are like a million packs of grenades on the ground for some reason, so I continue playing with this guy like a bored cat, unloading probably 40 rounds into him until I get bored and try to find the rest of the level. I find a door and walk through it and the game locks up.

HMMMMMMMM.....

Anyway, I'm trying really hard not to judge this game too quickly. It was pretty fun when I found a shotgun. At first I thought the invincible guy was some kind of boss character since my sound was off.

KZObsessed

After a frustrating night of MW2 last night I'm begging Guerrilla that if they go down the shitty match making route to still allow us to search for our own servers. Oh and for the love of god let us pick which maps we want to play. My God. Started a game 6v3 last night and it finished 6v3. Wtf.

And when you make a party system for KZ3, don't make it completely broken so that over 50% of the time you try to join a game people get kicked from the party. So everyone else has to back out and send invites again, because you can't just simply join your friends party, oh no that would be too simple.

Also the amount of times hosts are migrated in that game and then the game just fails to find a new one is ridiculous.

Just look at MW2 for an example of how NOT to do things. Please also note how retardedly cheap and unbalanced it is. Marathon, Lightweight, Commando Pro + Tactical Knife make KZ2's Boost/Assault class feel like a dream.

And last thing KZ3 needs is killstreak rewards. Reward people for doing the objectives with a lot more points, maybe you could give people extra point bonuses for killstreaks on Body Count rounds but that's all. Don't let them call in ATACs or nuke the fucking place or some shit. You want to encourage people do the objectives and work together not camp for cheap kills.

Gonna play some U2 and KZ2 again over the next week or so, before studying for exams begins :S

Lince

Banned
^^^^

too much MW2 hate, just imagine Killzone with kill streaks, 1887s and nukes, oh shit... *drools*

seriously... Guerrilla will try something to get better sales for KZ3, it's only human nature, hope they don't copy the wrong games though.

edit: now that I think of it, MW2 copied KZ2 as there was this DLC map with a nuke every 10 minutes or so.

nib95

Banned
I actually turned on KZ2 online yesterday to compare it to MW2. Fucking amazing still. The visuals, overall sense of atmosphere and realism. Amazing. If I wasn't so in to MW2, I'd play KZ2 instead. That said, a few things did bug me. Think the potency of Iron sight shooting needs to be fixed up. Seems to be easier to kill people from the hip, with some sort of auto aim? Iron sights however, seem to have none. So if they balanced that out slightly, I'd be perfect as far as shooting tactility and satisfaction went.

Lince said:
seriously... Guerrilla will try something to get better sales for KZ3, it's only human nature, hope they don't copy the wrong games though.

Lemme guess:

1) Matchmaking&parties.
2) Controls like the beta.
3) More customization.
4) More stuff to do&collect (like ribbons from Resistance 2 and stuff like that), better sense of leveling progress and more levels to go through.

These are probably the things I would focus on if I wanted stronger sales (coming from the multiplayer aspect of sales potential).

-viper-

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
Lemme guess:

1) Matchmaking&parties.
2) Controls like the beta.
3) More customization.
4) More stuff to do&collect (like ribbons from Resistance 2 and stuff like that), better sense of leveling progress and more levels to go through.

These are probably the things I would focus on if I wanted stronger sales (coming from the multiplayer aspect of sales potential).
5) No online trophies.

Matchmaking ranked playlists will be needed to hold onto many folks, though they better keep server browsing. Dedicated servers also would be a must.

More unlocks, customization, and general shit to achieve. The carrot on a stick mentality put into MW is one of it's most potent abilities to keep people playing.

Dibbz

Can someone tell me why the filtering options in KZ2 are so retarded?

I want to search for Helghan Industries so.
Killzone only lists 1 game which has only that map and that map alone.
Change map filter back to any and at least 5 servers I see have it in their rotation.

GG wtf is the point of the retarded filtering when it works so stupidly? Why not let me filter by game length or current map playing or something useful?

Matchmaking would get rid of most of the problems I have with the servers or better yet take control over how people play the damn game and enforce you're own rules. :|

In fact don't let people customize the games at all since everyone is so retarded and like clusterfucks which last 10 hours.

Top Bottom