• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

trk_rkd

Banned
TTP said:
Reading this thread I don't feel bad for not having played a single MW2 online game.

Worst money spent on an "AAA" game ever. Single player was a snore fest.

You snored through it? I was kept awake by the sound of my palm slapping my face every time shepard opened his mouth, a protagonist died, pointless "look at me, i'm sooooo mature" civilian massacre scene etc etc...

spec ops split screen is good fun with a mate and a couple of drinks though.

trk_rkd said:
You snored through it? I was kept awake by the sound of my palm slapping my face every time shepard opened his mouth, a protagonist died, pointless "look at me, i'm sooooo mature" civilian massacre scene etc etc...

And that's exactly what Killzone 3 needs, a co-op (campaign and other modes) online and split screen.

A.R.K

Well deserved awards for KZ2!!!!! Congrats to GG!

TTP said:
Reading this thread I don't feel bad for not having played a single MW2 online game.

Worst money spent on an "AAA" game ever. Single player was a snore fest.

KZ2 >>>> MW2 in every way.

-viper-

Banned
Yeah KZ3 definitely needs some form of co-op; whether that is in the main campaign or a set of additional missions like Spec Ops in MW2. KZ2 was a squad based game anyhow so having a co-op campaign shouldn't be a problem in this. Even if it is two players co-op, I'd be happy with that.

But ideally I'd prefer a separate co-op campaign.

trk_rkd said:

Spec ops is awesome. Too bad no one wants to play it :\

Unless anyone in this thread is willing to complete all missions with me on Veteran. D:

KZObsessed

Zen said:
I've been playing through the SP campaign again, and reading a few impressions here, basically the odd 'textures' comment, has got me being very thorough in checking out the texture usage in the game.

The issue that leads people to say things like Killzone 2 has bad texturing is oftentimes Guerilla would only really make the max detail version of the texture viewable in a subtle way based upon angle of sight, or, if you were right up close to it because of the nature of the high detail coloring specifically not being made to look like melting walls.

It wasn't a technical limitation, as often times the high detail version would kick in from a decent distance, but you'd only really see that extra detail up close because of the coloring of filter or whatnot. There would be things that would just look low res, but would have a fairly detailed second layer applied up close, but most people probably wouldn't stop to look.

There is the odd, 'low res' texture here and there, but they're honestly less so than most FPS games on consoles. The worst level I've seen so far, in terms of actual 'low res' texture usage is Suljeva Village. It has a lot of 'low' detailed textures. Who knows how much of that was because of the environment sizes or the sand blasted nature of the environment, or production time.

I feel like taking some pictures to show what I'm talking about as my explanation is somewhat lacking.

Killzone 2 actually has very high texture detail though, no argument there.

I think you explained fine :) And that's very interesting. I think also the simple fact that this game has a first person cover system means you will get up close to a lot of surfaces, which will make the low res textures that are present here and there on surfaces look a lot worse and become much more apparent.

I've also seen people comment about low res textures on the first level of the game especially, (mostly from people who clearly only ever played the demo :p) but the textures aren't in any way low res in general. No more than any other FPS anyway. What the majority of the level is made out of tho is very bland, gray concrete, which can give the appearance that the textures are "low res" but they're really not.

One thing Guerrilla really did well was to accentuate the really great textures with their own specific light source. At numerous points in the game they just shine a light across a wall to show off an awesome texture and draw your view to the detail and away from the lower res ones. This was also missing on the first level due to it being relatively bright and sunny compared to the rest of the game. Same with the desert level you mentioned. So you're not gonna be drawn to the detailed ones as much on those levels.

Overall tho, I agree, the game had excellent textures in places and had very good consistency throughout the game for a console FPS.

In fact, a lot of people when discussing KZ2 visuals, forget to mention one of the most impressive aspects of the game, the online! (Think I remember mentioning this recently but here I go again :p) There is nearly always a "downgrade" when it comes to online map detail but in KZ2 it maintains the quality of the single player. In fact it's arguably even more consistent. All the maps have great texture quality, and none of the maps are barren, there's a ton of content, exceptional lighting and effects. I think it's the online maps where Guerrilla Games are really showing off and surpass any other console game with ease. They're way way more impressive than the Uncharted 2 maps for example, even when I think U2 tops KZ2 in terms of it's single player.

KZObsessed

AranhaHunter said:
I'm curious as to what you'd pick?

I agree with gamespot, Uncharted 2 getting 2nd and MW2 3rd in my books.

ahh DMeisterJ, the fallen one...

-viper- said:

Unless anyone in this thread is willing to complete all missions with me on Veteran. D:

I would if you bought a bloody mic! :p

JB1981 said:
BF BC 2 should have won multiplayer game of year. :D

That's the 2010 MP GOTY, quit living in the future!

-viper- said:
Yeah KZ3 definitely needs some form of co-op; whether that is in the main campaign or a set of additional missions like Spec Ops in MW2. KZ2 was a squad based game anyhow so having a co-op campaign shouldn't be a problem in this. Even if it is two players co-op, I'd be happy with that.

But ideally I'd prefer a separate co-op campaign.

Shoot me a PM with your PSN ID and let's do this, I'm trying to platinum that as well, I already got some of those missions done though.

Violater

"Skirmishes can play out in virtually any part of Killzone's superbly designed multiplayer maps, each of which can accommodate up to 32 players at a time."

:lol No

-viper-

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Shoot me a PM with your PSN ID and let's do this, I'm trying to platinum that as well, I already got some of those missions done though.
I've got the first two sets of missions all completed with three stars. Need help with the rest.

Facism said:
Seriously, Killzone 2 has probably been the best console MP i've played this generation. Maybe that's down to the solid buncha guys i play with :'D

Everyone who has a decent clan who happens to invest a little time into organizing clan battles has at least +500 KZ2 mp respect. :p

I think Modern Warfare handily beats it, but I must say, KZ2 gets a lot of things right. I kind of got disenchanted with it when I realized everyone was picking the assault class and zooming around the map...did they do anything to make the class less powerful?

BradleyUK said:
Next killzone I will expect these features:

• Ability to make your own levels

wat

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
I think Modern Warfare handily beats it, but I must say, KZ2 gets a lot of things right. I kind of got disenchanted with it when I realized everyone was picking the assault class and zooming around the map...did they do anything to make the class less powerful?

I believe they reduced their health by 25% and made Boost less powerful.

KZObsessed

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:

MW2 doesn't even approach KZ2's quality for me. But I agree with the Assault issues. A lot of people got turned off by that. I have no problem with one or two Assaults in a game, there's nothing more fun than headshotting them, but it's when you get a team with half of them Assualts, or everyone swaps out Boost with other classes. Urgh. They did nerf them ages a go, which people told them to do in the Beta, but most games these days hardly anyone uses them, I guess most have grown tired of that bullshit. Plus there's tons of servers with Assault disabled so just pick them, that's what I do usually.

KZObsessed

Lagspike_exe said:

Maps I would assume, but can't say I agree with user created maps. They'd be awful compared to the Guerrilla developed ones, maybe an ability to tweak them and alter certain objective placements would be fun. We could separate the S&D objectives then and prevent the mess that sometimes occurs.

DoomGyver

Way back when it came out I bought the PAL version because I got it early. I know that I can't buy the US DLC because I have a PAL copy. So I'm going to buy a US copy. Will this effect my trophies?

I know my game-save won't work so will my rank/stats work on a US disc? and will the trophies work right or will the US disc make a second trophy list?

KZObsessed

Full Recovery said:
Way back when it came out I bought the PAL version because I got it early. I know that I can't buy the US DLC because I have a PAL copy. So I'm going to buy a US copy. Will this effect my trophies?

I know my game-save won't work so will my rank/stats work on a US disc? and will the trophies work right or will the US disc make a second trophy list?

I'm not entirely sure, but I've played both the US and UK versions of Fallout 3 on my PS3 and it didn't create a second trophy list. Didn't detect my saves either of course.

Your online rank/stats should definitely remain tho.

KZObsessed

user friendly said:
When is the next triple points weekend GG?

I'll be on a lot over the holiday, need 33K more points until Commander in Chief.

I hope next time they simply give you twice the points for doing everything, rather than doubling the win multiplier. That was just annoying.

FFObsessed said:
I hope next time they simply give you twice the points for doing everything, rather than doubling the win multiplier. That was just annoying.
Good god, especially for those 1 hour matches. 3-3 and the last objective is search and defend. It's pretty much the only reason I rage at this game, most of the time it's directed towards my team members.

Quick question. Can you check your kill streak on Killzone.com or do you have to go through the game itself? I had a crazy run last week, huge smile the whole time.

A.R.K said:
unless KZ3 releases in 2010 :O :D
I'd say it's possible. They have a shit load of extra time not having to develop an engine this time. I'd say March 2011 though.

KZObsessed

If Guerrilla Games devs still read this thread, I'd like to make one request about the single player in KZ3. It maybe a bit of a videogame cliché nowadays but I really want some collectable audio diaries or propaganda speeches to collect through the single player.

Scolar Visari (Brian Cox) is the personality of the KILLZONE universe. Thinking about KZ3 recently I just cannot imagine it not suffering from Scolar Visari's absence. We need some of his epic speeches whether it be from collectables or flash backs or something.

KZ3 needs teh COX!!!1

The only actor who could replace him would be the amazing Daniel Day-Lewis, and I don't think you'll be getting him. :lol I would also like to see an impressive leader type for the ISA as well as the Helghast in KZ3. Give the ISA side a bit more personality.

KZObsessed

A.R.K said:
unless KZ3 releases in 2010 :O :D

That would be a crazy dream come true for me :lol

But Resistance 3 will be launching in 2010 (unfortunately?) so I doubt Sony would release 2 big FPSs at the same time. Plus I'd like Guerrilla to take as much time as necessary so March 2011 would be fine by me as long as it's worth the wait.

edit: Userfriendly, you have to check in game I believe, that stat is missing from the killzone.com profile page for some reason.

Lince

Banned
Thrakier said:

Killzone 2 isn't just a shooter – it's an experience. From your crash landing in the game's opening moments to the thrill of blasting Helghast with lightning and smoke filling the air to the jaw-dropping ending, you're seeing an entirely new and gritty world from behind the sights of many cool weapons.

one of my favorite GAF posters is crying somewhere now

Enigma777

Banned
FFObsessed said:
If Guerrilla Games devs still read this thread, I'd like to make one request about the single player in KZ3. It maybe a bit of a videogame cliché nowadays but I really want some collectable audio diaries or propaganda speeches to collect through the single player.

Scolar Visari (Brian Cox) is the personality of the KILLZONE universe. Thinking about KZ3 recently I just cannot imagine it not suffering from Scolar Visari's absence. We need some of his epic speeches whether it be from collectables or flash backs or something.

KZ3 needs teh COX!!!1

The only actor who could replace him would be the amazing Daniel Day-Lewis, and I don't think you'll be getting him. :lol I would also like to see an impressive leader type for the ISA as well as the Helghast in KZ3. Give the ISA side a bit more personality.
That's a great idea. Cox is up there with Mark Hamil.

I'd also like to add: Kill Rico in the first 5 minutes. If I have to hear him say "Help me up motherf****" one more time, then so help me god...

FFObsessed said:

KZ3 needs teh COX!!!1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_NHPudznY8&feature=related
MMMMMMMMM

I think though the dude who voiced Hakka and Radec would be an ample successor for the Helghast leadership. Though they should still keep Visari's propaganda in the game through the speakers and some sort of collectable items.

Templar's voice in MP as the ISA speaker was a very nice contrast to the bravado and flair of Visari. Though Narville would suffice.

KZObsessed

Thrakier said:

Think that was posted before as I still have a boner since then! :p

YESS KZ2 YESS!

Watch them give the overall best shooter to MW2 or something stupid like that even though they just gave best PS3 shooter to KZ2.

Facism said:
Lince do you have L4d2? Steam Id please :D

[edit] nm, found you http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198000910939

Seriously, Killzone 2 has probably been the best console MP i've played this generation. Maybe that's down to the solid buncha guys i play with :'D

lmao @ "LINCE"

Lince said:
one of my favorite GAF posters is crying somewhere now

:lol troll! ;)

Enigma777 said:
That's a great idea. Cox is up there with Mark Hamil.

I'd also like to add: Kill Rico in the first 5 minutes. If I have to hear him say "Help me up motherf****" one more time, then so help me god...

I think, realistically, I hope to see Rico court-marshalled at the start of KZ3, for
murdering an unarmed Emperor Visari
That's what should happen. Then maybe later on an Helghast assassin could get him. Humiliate him first at least!

Dubbedinenglish said:

That's just magnificent. Whoever wrote all that, take a bow son. And perfectly delivered. Gives me a tingly feeling listening to it. That weird? Yeah, probably.

For KZ3 they just need more characters. Especially on the Helghast side. There was only Visari and Radec in KZ2. We need more General Metracs and Colonel Cobars. Each one could be a boss fight. One could be an epic "The End" (MGS3) style sniper battle. Would be a lot better than the armoured guys in KZ2 and the ATAC.

FFObsessed said:

KZ3 needs teh COX!!!1

Visari very likely is
Still alive. How you say? I mean we DID see him get "killed" by Rico. OK watch the opening cutscene and wait till Visari says "They will know...Helghan Belongs to the Helghast" Look at his eyes. They are a bright green. Now look up the ending (or beat the game again if you prefer) and look at Visari's eyes. They are a Dark Brown color. GG couldn't have made a mistake like this could they? Or is it something else. Why would Radec Visari's most loyal lapdog leave Visari unprotected in the off chance he was killed? They're were absolutely NO guards protecting him. You basically walked in and said "hello". Visari knowing that his "death" would cause his army to fight harder he could've used a body double and made it look like his death, and only his most trusted advisors would know of what really happen and he would rule Helghan from the shadows. Make sense?

Of course it's all speculation but yeah.

Thrakier

TacticalFox88 said:
Visari very likely is
Still alive. How you say? I mean we DID see him get "killed" by Rico. OK watch the opening cutscene and wait till Visari says "They will know...Helghan Belongs to the Helghast" Look at his eyes. They are a bright green. Now look up the ending (or beat the game again if you prefer) and look at Visari's eyes. They are a Dark Brown color. GG couldn't have made a mistake like this could they? Or is it something else. Why would Radec Visari's most loyal lapdog leave Visari unprotected in the off chance he was killed? They're were absolutely NO guards protecting him. You basically walked in and said "hello". Visari knowing that his "death" would cause his army to fight harder he could've used a body double and made it look like his death, and only his most trusted advisors would know of what really happen and he would rule Helghan from the shadows. Make sense?

You, my sire, are a tactical fox.

DrPirate

Banned
Things that are really noteworthy in KZ2: The goddam great beautiful AI.

The blood effects :)

Incredible orchestric score

Outstanding multiplayer with 12-16 people.

things that need to be improved: Writing and dialogue which, is downright HORRIBLE. Especially for Rico.

Plot

Level Variety which was unmatched in Killzone 1

Other than that. Well deserved. Killzone 2 was overall an awesome experience and I'm glad to see it praised.

A.R.K

FFObsessed said:
Think that was posted before as I still have a boner since then! :p

YESS KZ2 YESS!

Watch them give the overall best shooter to MW2 or something stupid like that even though they just gave best PS3 shooter to KZ2.

If KZ2 beat MW2 for best shooter on PS3, then it should be the best shooter of 2009. What else is there beside MW2 to compete against it. And we all know that KZ2 > MW and even they agree. But I doubt it too. Too many egos would be broken to accept KZ2 as the best shooter of 2009 :lol

and talking about the that...KZ2 is included in Kuntakooos 2009 disappointment list

Kotaku said:
Killzone 2
Again, not a bad game. Just disappointing.

Consider the amount of money and work that went into the game. The amount of expectations placed up on its shoulders. The scope of its marketing, all the attempts to turn Killzone into Sony's own Halo, an evergreen sci-fi franchise for the core market.

In some areas, it succeeded. It certainly looks, and sounds, expensive. It should be praised a lot more than it is for successfully implementing a working cover system in a first-person game. And Brian Cox can make anything bearable. But only to a point; the rest of the game is equal parts forgettable and offensive, poor characters propelling you through a dreary wasteland of a game, populated solely by clichés and a world so depressing you wish Rainbow Brite would pop in and make a cameo.

expensive??? They can't even admit that it looks awesome and have to fucking twist the words in to something that sounds like a negative

And again like many others they want it to be the "Rainbow" KZ2. The depressing nature was the idea behind this dreaded planet you morons. It was by design. But I guess some ppl literally get depressed by seeing a depressing world in games.

KZ2 is a disappointement of 2009??? really???? :lol :lol

AranhaHunter said:
And that's exactly what Killzone 3 needs, a co-op (campaign and other modes) online and split screen.
A bit LTTP with this comment, but what I would love to see for a Killzone 2.5 (meaning a DLC campaign to bridge K2 and K3):

1. Single player/co-op (up to four) campaign no shorter than 3 hours, you play as a helghan elite troop of (again) up to four members: squad leader/assault (player character when in single player), engineer, medic and saboteur (maybe allow for different classes?).
2. Core gameplay is similar to Republic Commando (squad based shooter with strategy and making use of every class skill to survive) while controls, level design and AI retain the strengths of Killzone 2. "Action" button is used to issue commands with a radial menu popping up if button is held down.
3. DLC storyline bridges Killzone 2 and 3 and ends in a cliffhanger to be resolved in the first few chapters of K3.
4. ???
5. Profit.

GAF, destroy my baby, I will still love you.

GG, make it happen. I'm watching.

Firestorm

If KZ2 beat MW2 for best shooter on PS3, then it should be the best shooter of 2009. What else is there beside MW2 to compete against it. And we all know that KZ2 > MW and even they agree. But I doubt it too. Too many egos would be broken to accept KZ2 as the best shooter of 2009
Killzone 2 was not the best shooter of 2009 by any stretch. Left 4 Dead 2 has the crown for me out of the shooters I played this year.

A.R.K said:
If KZ2 beat MW2 for best shooter on PS3, then it should be the best shooter of 2009. What else is there beside MW2 to compete against it. And we all know that KZ2 > MW and even they agree. But I doubt it too. Too many egos would be broken to accept KZ2 as the best shooter of 2009 :lol

and talking about the that...KZ2 is included in Kuntakooos 2009 disappointment list

expensive??? They can't even admit that it looks awesome and have to fucking twist the words in to something that sounds like a negative

And again like many others they want it to be the "Rainbow" KZ2. The depressing nature was the idea behind this dreaded planet you morons. It was by design. But I guess some ppl literally get depressed by seeing a depressing world in games.

So the retards at Kotaku want this:
kidzone3.png

TacticalFox88 said:
Visari very likely is

Wow, that's one awesome interpretation.

A.R.K said:

Jesus Christ - expensive? :lol
L4D2 marketing cost almost as much as the entire Killzone 2 project. :lol

Top Bottom