• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

ChryZ

DrPirate said:
Things that are really noteworthy in KZ2: The goddam great beautiful AI.
kzh3.jpg

Yes, we'll never forget nor forgive.

T'Zariah

Banned
TacticalFox88 said:
Visari very likely is
Still alive. How you say? I mean we DID see him get "killed" by Rico. OK watch the opening cutscene and wait till Visari says "They will know...Helghan Belongs to the Helghast" Look at his eyes. They are a bright green. Now look up the ending (or beat the game again if you prefer) and look at Visari's eyes. They are a Dark Brown color. GG couldn't have made a mistake like this could they? Or is it something else. Why would Radec Visari's most loyal lapdog leave Visari unprotected in the off chance he was killed? They're were absolutely NO guards protecting him. You basically walked in and said "hello". Visari knowing that his "death" would cause his army to fight harder he could've used a body double and made it look like his death, and only his most trusted advisors would know of what really happen and he would rule Helghan from the shadows. Make sense?

Of course it's all speculation but yeah.
MIND. FUCKING. BLOWN. Holy shit you have no idea how pissed I was at the game for
Killing Visari
I would've never noticed that. :lol

Firestorm

A.R.K said:
Yes I agree to that part...good for you
Then I guess you also agree that you were wrong in saying that there isn't anything anything out this year that competes with KZ2. MW2 competes with KZ2. MW2 was not a good game (or what I'd played of it). Even Halo 3 ODST was better designed than KZ2.

-viper-

Banned
I truly do wonder what Kotaku thought about Gears Of War, because KZ2 is more colourfuil than that game. I know this because I completed both games.

I honestly prefer the E3 07 colour scheme of KZ2. Was way more gloomier and had a better atmosphere. Helghan isn't supposed to be some sort of sunny villa to chill out. It should be HELL.

Firestorm said:
Then I guess you also agree that you were wrong in saying that there isn't anything anything out this year that competes with KZ2. MW2 competes with KZ2. MW2 was not a good game (or what I'd played of it). Even Halo 3 ODST was better designed than KZ2.
......:lol

Sorry but :lol :lol :lol :lol

Firestorm

I should probably add that I focus on single player and co-op campaigns. I'm not a big fan of vs multiplayer games which is what I assume people who still care about Killzone are into.

A.R.K

TacticalFox88 said:
......:lol

Sorry but :lol :lol :lol :lol

yeah I'll join in this...

:lol :lol :lol

Forget about the KZ2 story but just as a shooter, KZ has an awesome SP. The set pieces were great with really good pacing and on your toes action. Add to that, really good A.I. made it a very engaging experience. Much better than the last 2 Halo SP campaigns and way better than MW2 campaign. But I know every one has their own pick. So no worries.

KZObsessed

I thought KZ2 SP could have been a lot better than it was, but the gunplay outclasses every shooter released and was the best SP FPS on a console this generation, never mind year. Tho that's not saying too much. HL2 still takes a dump on every console FPS tho.

Multiplayer, KZ2 is my favorite ever. Nothing comes close on any platform in terms of just pure enjoyment.

Any award KZ2 gets is deserved.

KZObsessed

TacticalFox88 said:
Meh true. But over EVERY MP shooter? That's a pretty bold statement FFO.

Well, I am talking about my personal favourite. But yeah, I've never put 600+ hours into a MP shooter before, which is simply because I enjoy KZ2 online the most.

DoomGyver

Just for the hell of it I thought I'd click on the post count.

FFObsessed _1,317
Kittonwy _919
TheFatOne _561
TTP _556
icechai _433
Lince _431
Fersis _402
BruceLeeRoy _390
Thrakier _333
Raist _320

KZObsessed

I AM THE KZ2 THREAD

Anyway so KZ2 has received quite a few awards so far.

Gamereactor - Overall Game of the Year
Gamespot - Shooter of the Year
- Multiplayer Game of the Year
- Best Sound Design
- Most Improved Sequel
IGN - PS3 Shooter of the Year
FFO - Overall Game of the Year

Not bad so far. Any others I have missed? Havn't really been paying much attention...

Thrakier

FFObsessed said:
I AM THE KZ2 THREAD

Anyway so KZ2 has received quite a few awards so far.

Gamereactor - Overall Game of the Year
Gamespot - Shooter of the Year
- Multiplayer Game of the Year
- Best Sound Design
- Most Improved Sequel
IGN - PS3 Shooter of the Year
FFO - Overall Game of the Year

Not bad so far. Any others I have missed? Havn't really been paying much attention...

Yes.

Seph: Overall FFOs Game of the Year.

KZObsessed

Can finally access the description:

Killzone 2

* Publisher: SCEE
* Developer: Guerrilla Games

GameSpot's Best Games of 2009 Editors' Choice Winner

The original Killzone will forever be remembered as the "Halo killer" that wasn't, a game that ultimately collapsed under the weight of its own promise and hype. Clearly, the odds were stacked against its sequel from the start, which makes its victory in this category all the more impressive.

Killzone 2 presents what may be the greatest refinement of the core mechanics that compose a shooter, resulting in one of the most satisfying experiences this genre has to offer. Between the stellar graphics, the fantastic audio design, and the sometimes uncanny AI, Killzone 2 often feels like one of the most accurate depictions of war--an impressive feat considering that at least one other nominee is based on that very concept. While Killzone 2 won't win any awards for originality, the visceral experience the game provides is second to none among shooters: it's exhilarating to dart through the war-torn environment, taking cover wherever possible, while bullets scream by.

Add to this a fantastically deep and compelling multiplayer experience and it's easy to see why Killzone 2 is our shooter of the year. Against all expectations, Killzone 2 has set the standard for future shooters.

Nailed it.

-viper-

Banned
FFObsessed said:
I thought KZ2 SP could have been a lot better than it was, but the gunplay outclasses every shooter released and was the best SP FPS on a console this generation, never mind year. Tho that's not saying too much. HL2 still takes a dump on every console FPS tho.

Multiplayer, KZ2 is my favorite ever. Nothing comes close on any platform in terms of just pure enjoyment.

Any award KZ2 gets is deserved.
HL2 is kinda overrated. Sure everything else in the game is good, but to say the gunplay is shit is an understatement.

Best two FPS games on the PC: Republic Commando and Unreal II The Awakening.

I would LOVE a Republic Commando sequel. It is honestly one of my favourite games ever. soo awesome.

Firestorm

Who the hell made this
Visari Palace
level. I want to hurt them so much right now. This is like Horde / Survival without Co-op and a dumbfuck AI partner who doesn't seem to understand that he needs to cover you when you snipe and random ass rockets coming out of nowhere.

Enigma777

Banned
Firestorm said:
Who the hell made this
Visari Palace
level. I want to hurt them so much right now. This is like Horde / Survival without Co-op and a dumbfuck AI partner who doesn't seem to understand that he needs to cover you when you snipe and random ass rockets coming out of nowhere.
You should try it on Elite. Just keep moving forward and you'll be fine.

Firestorm

Enigma777 said:
You should try it on Elite. Just keep moving forward and you'll be fine.
I'm at the part
after Radec comes out and then you're locked in that room. I'm on the balcony with the RPGs now.
I actually beat the courtyard section without firing a shot. I just took out a knife and sprinted and went past everyone >__> Passed 3 checkpoints on my way.

Firestorm said:
Who the hell made this
Visari Palace

Never understood why GG made the enemy AI so good and the friendly so dumb

JustHadToJoin said:
just bought a ps3 and played the demo for this. holy shit, the graphics make the game fun :D
No really, this is my kind of shooter, wish I had bought it

There's still time and I highly recommend it.

Enigma777

Banned
Firestorm said:
I'm at the part
after Radec comes out and then you're locked in that room. I'm on the balcony with the RPGs now.
I actually beat the courtyard section without firing a shot. I just took out a knife and sprinted and went past everyone >__> Passed 3 checkpoints on my way.
Ah,
that's the final boss. Stick to the left staircase and go between the first/second floor while picking people off. It's the only spot where you're protected by the RPG's. When they show up, grab the sniper and use the grill on the left staircase to shoot the guy on the right and vice versa. When the pod crashes through run around the second floor and go knife everyone up there and when Radec gets down, you can either knife him or grab a shotgun and camp in the entrance you came through.

Firestorm

Just finished. Yeah, that was the most frustrating boss battle I've had to do in quite some time... Final thoughts on game: Killzone 2 just reeks of unattained potential to me. Absolutely gorgeous graphics, art design, and sound design. Sure it's basically shades of grey with wonderfully contrasting red / yellow, but it really brings across the atmosphere of Helghan and I think it was a good move. Game shouldn't suffer because most games take the monotone look by default these days. The sound on a surround sound set is some of the best I've heard. Beats MGS4 and Uncharted hands down imo and I hear those two thrown around a lot.

However, where the unattained potential I find is in story and game design. I felt like the enemies were placed in a really frustrating way for the player. That last battle I mentioned in my last post for example was excruciating. Two staircases, little to no cover, attacks also from above, and you're alone with a really bad AI partner. What is the logic behind this? If this were a Co-op session and Rico was played by a person, I could definitely see this working out. But he wasn't. This game really would have benefited from Co-op. Not in the "lol every game should have Co-op" way, but this game seems built for Co-op. Very confusing as to why they couldn't get it in.

Second part I see potential for that wasn't reached was story. The final scene had some really interesting elements brought to light with
Visarai talking about how the fall of him would put Helghan into ruin
. Sadly, I didn't get that vibe at all. As far as I could tell, the ISA were invading Helghan and they were a military state that was defending the homeland. Hell, it really seemed like we were the bad guys. What the hell did they do to us =( Guerilla seems to have assumed we already played Killzone and Killzone: Liberation. Sadly I did not so I didn't really understand my motivation for being there. Helghan seems like a really interesting setting so it would have been nicer to get more than a one-dimensional account of the whole thing. "Fucking Higs!" doesn't do it for me.

Speaking of which, atrocious dialog and voice acting. Goddamn. Make Gears of War look like Uncharted. FUCKING HIGS FUCKING HIGS FUCKING HIGS.

Anyway, that last segment really left a bad taste in my mouth. It's too bad as I found LV8 and LV9 to be decent. Never touching this again unless my friends get back into multiplayer :lol

Edit: By the by, I died like a half dozen times to the final boss and then doubled my X sensitivity and beat him in the first try xD

KZObsessed

-viper- said:
HL2 is kinda overrated. Sure everything else in the game is good, but to say the gunplay is shit is an understatement.

Best two FPS games on the PC: Republic Commando and Unreal II The Awakening.

I would LOVE a Republic Commando sequel. It is honestly one of my favourite games ever. soo awesome.

I wouldn't call HL2's gunplay shit, but yes it is one of the weakest aspect of the game, and arguably the most important for a shooter. That's what KZ2 does so well as you know, that was the main focus of the single player which a lot of people seem to miss when discussing the game, instead concentrating on soldier dialogue and the fact Guerrilla didn't regurgitate the back story they've already written and presented on the killzone.com website and re-telling the story of the first couple of games. And that gunplay is why the online multiplayer (among other things) is so magnificent.

Having said that, the reason HL2 is so great is because it doesn't just focus on one aspect like with KZ2, there's so much variety, and such great pacing, the whole game just feels like a journey rather than just a series of gunfights. The only major downside of the game is the god awful last level, which was just as bland a design as I've ever seen.

You know, my brother swears by Republic Commando as being one of the best squad shooters ever. I should definitely try it sometime.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Firestorm said:

Dude, I'm not a big Killzone fan and the game clearly has a lot of issues -- just like MW2 -- but ODST was mediocre at best.

trk_rkd

Banned
Firestorm said:
Just finished. Yeah, that was the most frustrating boss battle I've had to do in quite some time... Final thoughts on game: Killzone 2 just reeks of unattained potential to me. Absolutely gorgeous graphics, art design, and sound design. Sure it's basically shades of grey with wonderfully contrasting red / yellow, but it really brings across the atmosphere of Helghan and I think it was a good move. Game shouldn't suffer because most games take the monotone look by default these days. The sound on a surround sound set is some of the best I've heard. Beats MGS4 and Uncharted hands down imo and I hear those two thrown around a lot.

However, where the unattained potential I find is in story and game design. I felt like the enemies were placed in a really frustrating way for the player. That last battle I mentioned in my last post for example was excruciating. Two staircases, little to no cover, attacks also from above, and you're alone with a really bad AI partner. What is the logic behind this? If this were a Co-op session and Rico was played by a person, I could definitely see this working out. But he wasn't. This game really would have benefited from Co-op. Not in the "lol every game should have Co-op" way, but this game seems built for Co-op. Very confusing as to why they couldn't get it in.

Second part I see potential for that wasn't reached was story. The final scene had some really interesting elements brought to light with
Visarai talking about how the fall of him would put Helghan into ruin
. Sadly, I didn't get that vibe at all. As far as I could tell, the ISA were invading Helghan and they were a military state that was defending the homeland. Hell, it really seemed like we were the bad guys. What the hell did they do to us =( Guerilla seems to have assumed we already played Killzone and Killzone: Liberation. Sadly I did not so I didn't really understand my motivation for being there. Helghan seems like a really interesting setting so it would have been nicer to get more than a one-dimensional account of the whole thing. "Fucking Higs!" doesn't do it for me.

Speaking of which, atrocious dialog and voice acting. Goddamn. Make Gears of War look like Uncharted. FUCKING HIGS FUCKING HIGS FUCKING HIGS.

Anyway, that last segment really left a bad taste in my mouth. It's too bad as I found LV8 and LV9 to be decent. Never touching this again unless my friends get back into multiplayer :lol

Edit: By the by, I died like a half dozen times to the final boss and then doubled my X sensitivity and beat him in the first try xD

KZ2 was my 2009 GOTY but I definitely agree with most of your criticisms (nice to see someone bring up legit criticisms rather than just bullshit "zomfg its so grey and the controlzzzzz"). Yes: dialogue was atrocious, VA was bad, the plot was only redeemed by that last brilliant shot of sev sitting on the steps of visari palace. as for the last boss battle... your criticisms are totally valid although i sort of took it as being a kind of deliberately old school, challenging boss battle. and rico absolutely sucked in that last battle but there was something of a clever-ish game mechanic in that you still had to work to keep him alive so he could distract the enemies (at least i did on elite). but yeah, after the epic shootouts and previously competent (if not always super effective) friendly AI that last battle was a bit... out of place. i didn't think it was a let down, necessarily, but i'd agree it was a bit out of place.

you are 110% correct on the "missed opportunity" perspective re. the plot. the backstory on killzone.com is fucking fantastic - really good, complex sci fi schtick that beats the hell out of most sci fi games (you know who I'm talking about). but the delivery in game was simplistic, predictable, boring, zero dimensional, eeek... such a frickin' shame.

but there's still huge potential for kz3 to be absolutely brilliant. i mean what kz2 did well i honestly think it did better than any other console shooter before it. if gg capitalise on their successes and rectify their mistakes kz3 could be amazing. if they lose their balls and sell out to the crowd that wants an mw2 clone then we'll have another fucking R2 disaster. only time will tell.

FFObsessed said:
That's what KZ2 does so well as you know, that was the main focus of the single player which a lot of people seem to miss when discussing the game, instead concentrating on soldier dialogue and the fact Guerrilla didn't regurgitate the back story they've already written and presented on the killzone.com website and re-telling the story of the first couple of games. And that gunplay is why the online multiplayer (among other things) is so magnificent.

You know, my brother swears by Republic Commando as being one of the best squad shooters ever. I should definitely try it sometime.
Maybe the single player campaing wasn't designed well enough to show that off. I definitely got a bad impression of the game after playing through singleplayer. Think I made it half way through the game on normal before dumb A-tack, or whatever its called, boss battle which forced me to turn it down to easy. Side note, they really shouldn't have put any boss battles into this game. Well to cut this short, the game does so many things different from the average console FPS game but never bothers to teach you or guide you through any of it and thats definitely a poor design decision.

Firestorm

I probably enjoyed ODST more than KZ2 because of Co-op. I think Halo 2, 3, and ODST are decent games made fun through Co-op personally. You're right in that if I played either ODST or 3 alone, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed them much either.
trk_rkd said:
KZ2 was my 2009 GOTY but I definitely agree with most of your criticisms (nice to see someone bring up legit criticisms rather than just bullshit "zomfg its so grey and the controlzzzzz"). Yes: dialogue was atrocious, VA was bad, the plot was only redeemed by that last brilliant shot of sev sitting on the steps of visari palace. as for the last boss battle... your criticisms are totally valid although i sort of took it as being a kind of deliberately old school, challenging boss battle. and rico absolutely sucked in that last battle but there was something of a clever-ish game mechanic in that you still had to work to keep him alive so he could distract the enemies (at least i did on elite). but yeah, after the epic shootouts and previously competent (if not always super effective) friendly AI that last battle was a bit... out of place. i didn't think it was a let down, necessarily, but i'd agree it was a bit out of place.

you are 110% correct on the "missed opportunity" perspective re. the plot. the backstory on killzone.com is fucking fantastic - really good, complex sci fi schtick that beats the hell out of most sci fi games (you know who I'm talking about). but the delivery in game was simplistic, predictable, boring, zero dimensional, eeek... such a frickin' shame.

but there's still huge potential for kz3 to be absolutely brilliant. i mean what kz2 did well i honestly think it did better than any other console shooter before it. if gg capitalise on their successes and rectify their mistakes kz3 could be amazing. if they lose their balls and sell out to the crowd that wants an mw2 clone then we'll have another fucking R2 disaster. only time will tell.
Haha, I actually thought to myself during that fight "Rico is really lucky I need him as bait or I would not even be trying to save him right now". Especially after what that bastard did
to Garza :( He was the only likeable character aside from Sev :(

Yeah, like Tales of Vesperia, it would be a waste of a beatiful engine if we didn't get a sequel. So hopefully they improve on those things + change the damn field of view and point of view. I'd like to see and expanded screen and from a higher height.

Also, needs more lightning gunz :(

KZObsessed

Lostconfused said:
Maybe the single player campaing wasn't designed well enough to show that off. I definitely got a bad impression of the game after playing through singleplayer. Think I made it half way through the game on normal before dumb A-tack, or whatever its called, boss battle which forced me to turn it down to easy. Side note, they really shouldn't have put any boss battles into this game. Well to cut this short, the game does so many things different from the average console FPS game but never bothers to teach you or guide you through any of it and thats definitely a poor design decision.

I don't think so. It seems to be quite common when people discuss most shooters. The talk about the controls, by that they mean how easy it is to aim and shoot someone rather than the enjoyment that comes from actually shooting someone. I hear a lot of "are the guns fun to shoot?" when what's really important is "is it fun to shoot something?" It's not the firing of the guns which is the most important, it's the actual shooting OF something. It's when your bullets make contact with an enemy or something in the environment. That's the point at which you're interacting with the game world in a shooter, that's when you get the most feedback, that's what all shooters need to focus on when it comes to their gunplay, and so many "AAA" shooters fail in this regard.

Other shooters of course have been very successful in the past with their gunplay, Max Payne, F.E.A.R. being two of my favorites but they are very out dated when compared to KZ2. Max Payne was of course quite a few years ago (tho way ahead of it's time) and a TPS, so lets focus on F.E.A.R. They did a great job when it comes to the shooting, the impact of every shot, tho exaggerated, was satisfying. But, killing an enemy, still felt like you were killing a toy or a mannequin due to the rag dolls. With KZ2 they blended rag dolls with top quality motion capture animations so you can still affect the Helghast soldiers with each shot but they react with much more realistic animation. Killing enemies in KZ2 for the first time ever for me, felt like I was killing an actual person, rather than a toy or simply a video game character like in other games. I truly believe it's a step forward for the genre and playing other shooters now just feels wholly unsatisfying in that regard. And it's not just the animation quality or the system they implemented. So much care and polish was put into everything about the shooting. From the ultra-detailed gun models and ejected casings to the amazing reload animations. The unique feel of the every gun, the weight of the controls. The way they exaggerate every bullet impact with a heat signature or with the realistic dust/smoke that lingers in the air after each bullet hits a wall. Especially great in the online when you've just had a really intense fire fight in a room, which is then completely filled with smoke and dust afterwards which lingers realistically in the air. Even though the environments aren't destructible you still see the effects of every shot fired, you can track every shot that leaves your gun. You have to control the recoil and spread of your bullets, you can't just hold down the R1 button and the autoaim will do it all for you. You have to control your shots, it takes a lot of skill, especially in the online when things can get really hectic and that's what makes it so satisfying. Gamespot (surprising enough) nailed it in their Killzone 2 Shooter of the Year Award write up when they said:
Killzone 2 presents what may be the greatest refinement of the core mechanics that compose a shooter, resulting in one of the most satisfying experiences this genre has to offer. Against all expectations, Killzone 2 has set the standard for future shooters.

Although they didn't go into great detail, it was nice to see the game get recognised for what it did do well by a big website. And I do think the game did a great job of showing off this system with the level/game design, there were a lot of close combat situations throughout the game, and with the cover system you could survive the aggressive and intelligent A.I. and still get up close and personal and pump bullets into the enemies from close range which was just so enjoyable. And the level design in general did a good job of allowing the enemies to really show off their A.I. I remember and amazing incident in the warehouse battle of the first level (demo level) where I'd cleared out the whole room except for one guy. I searched the warehouse, all over, every spot where he could be hiding but couldn't find him. So I thought, "ahh must have got him", I turned round and he popped out behind cover, said: "pretty dumb!" and shot me! I killed him tho! :p But still, I don't think I'd ever seen an enemy hide from me until he saw a great opportunity to get the jump on me, then insult me as he shoots me! :lol Crazy. I've actually tried to manufacture that moment again but never been able to get it to happen. It's just one of those amazing moments that can occur 1 time in a million in some games. Love it. The game is really best played on Hard, that's when you get the most intense encounters.

I also like how they don't hold you hand and guide you through certain scenarios. The ATAC battle you mentioned, I played the game on Hard the first time through, which I normally never do, (because I suck at most games :p) but I managed to beat it first time, How? Pure luck :p, when getting an ammo refill from the re-spawning rocket launcher, I just happen to notice the stair case which leads down to the corridor downstairs which made the boss fight so much easier. I really like that, they don't lead you down there, you can just discover it by yourself spontaneously. The downside of that approach is of course, what if you don't discover it? You're left frustrated and annoyed. But I like that method, but can understand how other would not. Another good example is the very last level, the fight with Radec, playing through the game on Hard, that was the only section that had me almost pulling my hair out. They just dump you in a room with waves after waves of Helghast and basically just tell you to "deal with it" :lol And you have to figure out you're own strategy. Which is very frustrating, but much more satisfying when you beat it out by figuring out the best strategy. My first playthrough on Hard, the satisfaction of beating it didn't make up for the hour of frustration that preceded it. But when I played through the game straight after on Elite, I enjoyed the last battle, I knew what to do, I figured out a strategy that worked best for me and I had the extra challenge of the harder difficulty/no cross hair and I thought it was great. But it certainly is a design philosophy that can go either way for a lot of people.

I see KZ2 mainly as an excellent foundation to build on. Mentioning HL2 reminded me that game is now 5 years old, and still heralded as possibly the best FPS ever. In five years time KZ2 may be remembered as a game that really refined and pushed forward the shooting mechanics of the genre, but it's certainly not going to be remembered as a truly great FPS SP. It's just not original or memorable enough to approach anyway near HL2's level. So what they need to do is take the great work they did with KZ2 and use that as a foundation to build on in future games. That's an incredibly obvious thing to say I realise, but the main issue with the first Killzone was that (apart from a lack of polish technically) the shooting mechanics were quite poor, they nailed that with KZ2, so now hopefully they can focus on creating truly memorable, original and fun scenarios to make the game stand out a lot more than KZ2 did. Work in a lot more story and more info about the culture of the Helghast, the politics, the people. Create more interesting characters on both the ISA and Helghast side and they could create something truly great. Personally, I'm not too optimistic :p and the multiplayer will be the biggest draw for me in terms of KZ3, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they do in their future work. :)

KZObsessed

Good games last night Rick, Userfriendly.

I guess I have to come to terms with Rick being the new greatest KZ2 player of ALL TYNE... *cries*

Had about 5 awesome games earlier in the afternoon as well, and tried teaching my brother how to play :lol Would be nice if KZ3 had some local co-op or multiplayer. Or at least let us play against Bots in "Skirmish" via split-screen. I'd be happy with that. Would be a good way to get friends into the online when they're round as well.

1.8 million on the leaderboards now, I wantz 2 million dammit!
angry.gif

-viper-

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Good games last night Rick, Userfriendly.

I guess I have to come to terms with Rick being the new greatest KZ2 player of ALL TYNE... *cries*

Had about 5 awesome games earlier in the afternoon as well, and tried teaching my brother how to play :lol Would be nice if KZ3 had some local co-op or multiplayer. Or at least let us play against Bots in "Skirmish" via split-screen. I'd be happy with that. Would be a good way to get friends into the online when they're round as well.

1.8 million on the leaderboards now, I wantz 2 million dammit!
angry.gif
My cousin has KZ2 but doesn't even know it has online play. I guess next time they should specifically name it 'Multiplayer' instead of 'Warzone' :p

I'm sure there are many more out there who probably haven't even touched online play.

KZObsessed

-viper- said:
My cousin has KZ2 but doesn't even know it has online play. I guess next time they should specifically name it 'Multiplayer' instead of 'Warzone' :p

I'm sure there are many more out there who probably haven't even touched online play.

WOW :lol

Never thought about that, but that's a good point. oh dear lol

Thrakier

FFObsessed said:
Other shooters of course have been very successful in the past with their gunplay, Max Payne, F.E.A.R. being two of my favorites but they are very out dated when compared to KZ2. Max Payne was of course quite a few years ago (tho way ahead of it's time) and a TPS, so lets focus on F.E.A.R. They did a great job when it comes to the shooting, the impact of every shot, tho exaggerated, was satisfying. But, killing an enemy, still felt like you were killing a toy or a mannequin due to the rag dolls. With KZ2 they blended rag dolls with top quality motion capture animations so you can still affect the Helghast soldiers with each shot but they react with much more realistic animation. Killing enemies in KZ2 for the first time ever for me, felt like I was killing an actual person, rather than a toy or simply a video game character like in other games. I truly believe it's a step forward for the genre and playing other shooters now just feels wholly unsatisfying in that regard. And it's not just the animation quality or the system they implemented. So much care and polish was put into everything about the shooting. From the ultra-detailed gun models and ejected casings to the amazing reload animations. The unique feel of the every gun, the weight of the controls. The way they exaggerate every bullet impact with a heat signature or with the realistic dust/smoke that lingers in the air after each bullet hits a wall. Especially great in the online when you've just had a really intense fire fight in a room, which is then completely filled with smoke and dust afterwards which lingers realistically in the air. Even though the environments aren't destructible you still see the effects of every shot fired, you can track every shot that leaves your gun. You have to control the recoil and spread of your bullets, you can't just hold down the R1 button and the autoaim will do it all for you. You have to control your shots, it takes a lot of skill, especially in the online when things can get really hectic and that's what makes it so satisfying. Gamespot (surprising enough) nailed it in their Killzone 2 Shooter of the Year Award write up when they said:
:)

U r creepy. <3

Enigma777 said:
I wish we'd get the lighting gun in MP. I know it will unbalance everything (1887 has nothing on it), but I love that thing so much!!!

well, it's in that one DLC map... i bought all the maps and while felt a bit ripped off, had some excellent fun playing them. every map looks stunning and is expertly designed. too bad there's barely anyone playing them :E

edit: ehhhhh.... i was thinking about the bolt gun. i'll just... go back to packing my bags ->

KZObsessed

astroturfing said:
well, it's in that one DLC map... i bought all the maps and while felt a bit ripped off, had some excellent fun playing them. every map looks stunning and is expertly designed. too bad there's barely anyone playing them :E

edit: ehhhhh.... i was thinking about the bolt gun. i'll just... go back to packing my bags ->

With the sale of the maps recently, there's now a few servers with them. I played the other day on map pack 2 and 3 when I could never find servers before.

Hopefully they'll release a GOTY Edition with the maps on disc and eventually make them free for everyone.

Top Bottom