• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

KZObsessed

Raist said:
Come to London, you'll get one <3

No. I wantz hugz naow.
angry.gif

elohel

replaying through this game finally after the old ps3 died

such a great game, for a while i was really questioning whether coming back would ......ruin it? i guess

each gun feels soooo nice, the combat and ai kick ass

really hope they actually have a story in the next one lol

Yeah, Wednesday evening and generally weekdays are a no-go for me. But don't worry about it, my timings are generally pretty inflexible and I'm sure we can play some on the weekend anyway.

Tempy said:

Congrats GG. The A.I is superb.

Now just release a squad based objective/horde type game mode for KZ2. Four players vs. a tonne of bots in either straight up survival or objective situations on the available maps. Everyone loads out as Medic with your choice of secondary (if unlocked) and weapon drops come from downed enemies. You can already more or less emulate this in a custom game, but it isn't really the same thing.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
*Halo_3_Smarter_than_KZ2_alpha.jpg* :lol

I love the AI! Congratulations GG!

I recently got a PS3. I've heard Ps3 online isn't as populated as Live, and seeing as how MW2 is the new hot thing, is it safe to assume that it's still effortless to join matches online?

spats

jonnybryce said:
I recently got a PS3. I've heard Ps3 online isn't as populated as Live, and seeing as how MW2 is the new hot thing, is it safe to assume that it's still effortless to join matches online?

I've had no problems finding/joining matches. EU though, not sure about the US situation.

30fps and full eyecandy mode plx.
|
|
v

careful

Do you guys think KZ3 should aim for 60fps? Would the smoothness for visuals tradeoff be worth it?
I'd be curious to know how big a graphical hit it would take to bring KZ2 to 60fps.
There's also the argument that the slower gameplay of KZ is better suited for 30fps anyway (debatable point).

I don't have enough knowledge in this area, but would the framerate affect lag for online MP? Would 60fps be inherently more laggy than 30fps because it has to send and receive more updates to/from the host? (Assuming P2P again for KZ3)

Lince

Banned
30 fps with motion blur would be fine again for KZ3... considering how much they spent on their proprietary engine R&D we should take for granted they're using it again for KZ3 (with some tweaks here and there) so 720p 30 fps. Rendering at 30 fps doesn't mean less lag though, it's all up to the network code and "server" performance. KZ2 8v8 games (with players from the same region) were completely smooth, on the other hand 32p games with people around the world are awful.

quaere

Just rented this. WTF controls? It's not normal for the view to keep drifting after I've let off the analog stick right? I can't walk in a straight line, I have to zig zag. And the rate of turn changes from incredibly slow to fast seemingly randomly.

Cause = third party controller? I've played dozens of other games with no problems...but this isn't how the game was designed right?

Mikey Jr.

aswedc said:
Just rented this. WTF controls? It's not normal for the view to keep drifting after I've let off the analog stick right? I can't walk in a straight line, I have to zig zag. And the rate of turn changes from incredibly slow to fast seemingly randomly.

Cause = third party controller? I've played dozens of other games with no problems...but this isn't how the game was designed right?

Go online, download the patch, and set the controls to precise or something. That should be better for you.

Dabanton

Lagspike_exe said:
1200 MB. Bear in mind that it is the unpatched version. When patched, controls are better.

I DL'ed the demo version last week and actually liked the controls.

I've got the retail version now,haven't played it yet but it will be interesting to see how it plays differently.

GothPunk

Did anyone enter the Killzone 5th Anniversary competition Guerilla ran on Twitter? Well I did and I won the map pack bundle. :D Which maps are the best?

Effect

I'm confused by something. I just finally watching some video of this game, part of the first mission and something didn't make sense. Why is it the Helghast have full body armor, almost power armor like but the player's side has like no protection for their heads, arms, etc. Is it just the player's squad that is like that or the entire side? Also why kind of entry into battle was that anyway? They were all exposed as well riding on top of the ship?

Zen

Banned
aswedc said:

It doesn't do any of these things with my first party controller. It sounds like it's your controller.

Afrikan

I haven't been able to find my Killzone 2 disc for over 3 months now :( but I still have the case, which makes it that much harder to deal with..

man I want to play through this game over again on my new TV....

worse part is, is that I believe it is in my UFC Undisputed Case, along with my UFC game :(

two of my favorite games...lost.........sorry about the rant, its just that every time I see this thread bumped *sigh*

trk_rkd

Banned
Afrikan said:
I haven't been able to find my Killzone 2 disc for over 3 months now :( but I still have the case, which makes it that much harder to deal with..

man I want to play through this game over again on my new TV....

worse part is, is that I believe it is in my UFC Undisputed Case, along with my UFC game :(

two of my favorite games...lost.........sorry about the rant, its just that every time I see this thread bumped *sigh*

it's going for cheap all over the place, just get another copy... definitely a good game to show off a new tv with though! + wipeout hd

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I have to get my Valor trophies to finish up my platinum, which I've put off for months, haven't been playing online at all. What's the best way to go about getting high amounts of points?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Lagspike_exe said:
Bodycount.

Sounds good. I'm hoping it gets me back into the game. I played it for about 3 weeks with a buddy of mine and as I was really starting to get into it, my ps3 died out. I've had my new one for a while now so I'll probably be on a lot more from now on.

trk_rkd

Banned
I generally play one shooter at a time (this gen i've basically gone warhawk > kz2 , although there was a substantial patch of MGO and a bit of COD4 too). Question is: should I pick up mag? If I do it'll probably be the end of my serious kz2 days, which will be a bit of a shame because it's a great game... but on the other hand the MAG beta was surprisingly awesome (I honestly thought it was gonna suck but no, it was surprisingly hardcore & with a refreshing sense of vulnerability).

I've seen quite a few names from the kz2 thread pop up in the MAG beta thread. Anybody else planning on making the switch?

KZObsessed

trk_rkd said:
I generally play one shooter at a time (this gen i've basically gone warhawk > kz2 , although there was a substantial patch of MGO and a bit of COD4 too). Question is: should I pick up mag? If I do it'll probably be the end of my serious kz2 days, which will be a bit of a shame because it's a great game... but on the other hand the MAG beta was surprisingly awesome (I honestly thought it was gonna suck but no, it was surprisingly hardcore & with a refreshing sense of vulnerability).

I've seen quite a few names from the kz2 thread pop up in the MAG beta thread. Anybody else planning on making the switch?

Well for me, KZ2 has been my "go to" shooter since the Beta started in late 08. I've bought and played quite a few online games (and played Betas) and have always come back eventually. Even if I don't play every day anymore, or even weekly, every so often I'll come back for a long KZ2 session.

Played U2 for 80+ hours but had my fill with it now
MW2, was sick to death of that mess after 20, finished for good after 40hs.

But basically, my advice to you would be, if you thought MAG was awesome and want to play it then of course buy it! If you enjoy MAG enough that it becomes your main MP game then great. If eventually you get bored of it and go back to KZ2 then great.

I didn't like MAG when I first played it, but in the second BETA it grew on me a lot. Objective team based games are exactly my thing. I'm hoping playing with an 8 man GAF squad will be as awesome as I hope.

SmokyDave

I've just started re-visiting this game (bought it launch day, monstered through the campaign, enjoyed it and then put it back on the shelf). Man, this is awesome. I love the 'feel' of the movement and shooting and the Helghast are a formidable opposition. I wish I could freely map the buttons because I can never get them quite right with the defaults but apart from that, there is a good reason this shooter is so highly regarded. It's just an incredibly polished experience and thoroughly enjoyable.

-viper-

Banned
FFObsessed said:
I didn't like MAG when I first played it, but in the second BETA it grew on me a lot. Objective team based games are exactly my thing. I'm hoping playing with an 8 man GAF squad will be as awesome as I hope.
have no fear. it's bound to be awesome thanks to my presence.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So I was checking the numbers for my Valor Grand Cross. I played about 2 hours today and plan to play more to get my rank up. At this point how much am I going to have to play in order to get in the top 1%?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
spats said:
I've had no problems finding/joining matches. EU though, not sure about the US situation.

30fps and full eyecandy mode plx.
|
|
v

Although there are other variables at play, it's obvious (halfway through my first play through) that the game would be exponentially better (i.e. fun) if the your character was more responsive and they gave us the option to get rid of the grit post process effects. 60fps would be wonderful. It's clear the game is a technical marvel, but even still, I find it less impressive than the original Gears.

There are weight dynamics from what I read but they aren't translated well IMO. I really want to like this game. It's merely 'good', but far from 'great' IMO, but again, I have yet to finish it. There's also something really odd about the aiming (Alternate 2). I find myself constantly adjusting my reticule mid-clip/mag. Really silly how you're not allowed to start the reload animation while in zoom mode. I really hate that.

The story is crap though. That I don't think is up for debate.

trk_rkd

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Although there are other variables at play, it's obvious (halfway through my first play through) that the game would be exponentially better (i.e. fun) if the your character was more responsive and they gave us the option to get rid of the grit post process effects. 60fps would be wonderful. It's clear the game is a technical marvel, but even still, I find it less impressive than the original Gears.

There are weight dynamics from what I read but they aren't translated well IMO. I really want to like this game. It's merely 'good', but far from 'great' IMO, but again, I have yet to finish it. There's also something really odd about the aiming (Alternate 2). I find myself constantly adjusting my reticule mid-clip/mag. Really silly how you're not allowed to start the reload animation while in zoom mode. I really hate that.

The story is crap though. That I don't think is up for debate.

Your last sentence was totally true and I guess the thing about not being able to reload while zoomed is true (but I can't say I ever really noticed it, either) but everything else was crazy. I mean, 60 fps would be nice, sure, but at what cost? and the other stuff? The original gears was more impressive? Wah? And what do you mean "grit" post processing effects? They're barely noticeable, and to be honest I think most people would've preferred them turned up (like they were in the preview builds). And what do you mean "adjusting aiming mid clip"? If you're talking about the barrel climbing after a prolonged burst, that's been with us since at least counterstrike. and it's GOOD. i don't want to play fucking cod where i point in the general direction of the enemy, shoulder my rifle and get an easy kill...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I beat this again today. I really want to know where the story is going in KZ3. The atmosphere at the end of this game is pretty strange for a big game-- not really much of a happy ending.

Atrus

Gold Member
Y2Kev said:
I beat this again today. I really want to know where the story is going in KZ3. The atmosphere at the end of this game is pretty strange for a big game-- not really much of a happy ending.

The re-invasion of Vekta most likely, but that's only conditional on their ability to keep the Earth fleet from interfering. The Helghast aren't going to sit around after what happens to Phyrrus, but they certainly aren't going to invade again until they can prevent any interference from Earth.

Firestorm

Rapping Granny said:
http://i.neoseeker.com/gg/uploads/thumbs/9-2007/news_img_5047_0.jpg

That's bullshit, Halo3 ODST should have won it all.
Are you really bringing in that thing from god knows how long ago again now? You just keep sinking lower and lower :lol

That's not ODST btw. Waaay before ODST came out.

Top Bottom