• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Firestorm said:
Are you really bringing in that thing from god knows how long ago again now? You just keep sinking lower and lower :lol

That's not ODST btw. Waaay before ODST came out.

It's nothing against Halo, Rapping Granny is just pointing out the blatant media bias in this case. Plenty of people wanted to hate KZ2 way before it came out. So basically he meant "Good job Guerilla proving everyone wrong by winning the best AI award" by posting that along with a bit of a FU to the early haters.

tiddles

Effect said:
I'm confused by something. I just finally watching some video of this game, part of the first mission and something didn't make sense. Why is it the Helghast have full body armor, almost power armor like but the player's side has like no protection for their heads, arms, etc. Is it just the player's squad that is like that or the entire side? Also why kind of entry into battle was that anyway? They were all exposed as well riding on top of the ship?

The player's squad is part of a commando unit who are supposed to be able to move quickly and thus generally don't have that much body armour - the standard ISA troops have helmets and armour as you would expect.

Intruders (the flying platforms they enter battle in) are actually repurposed civilian transporters. The ISA is a colonial defence force, and they've had to cobble together their invasion army from many different sources - obsolete cruisers from Earth, industrial vehicles and so on.

Apath

This was one of the best games I played last year. The "heavy" controls really helped it stand apart from the staple shooters I play like COD and Halo, so I'm always able to come back to it and have it still feel fresh. If anyone is ever up for a game, my PSN is Kenak -- feel free to add me :D

And a few things I didn't get (ending spoilers):
1)
How did the Helghast make a surprise attack on the ISA's ships? From what I understood, the ISA had complete air domination over the Helghast, yet somehow they were able to take them by surprise, BOARD their ships, and kill the leader of their fleet?
2)
Did Vasari's eyes change color throughout development or was this lighting?: In the intro to the game Vasari's eyes are a hazelish blue, but they seemed dark (brown?) when Rico gunned him down. I guess it could have been a style choice /shrug.
3)
The Helghast fleet we see at the end of the game. Where did that come from exactly?

The single player was definitely the weaker part of the experience, but I still really enjoyed it. I just wish it had co-op.

tiddles

Kenak said:
1)
How did the Helghast make a surprise attack on the ISA's ships? From what I understood, the ISA had complete air domination over the Helghast, yet somehow they were able to take them by surprise, BOARD their ships, and kill the leader of their fleet?

The ISA cruisers are powerful in space, due to the fact that their main propulsion system doubles as a devastating beam weapon, but in atmosphere the engines are needed to maintain altitude, restricting their offensive use to targets directly beneath them. The ISA thought they had destroyed the Helghast fleet in the opening attack in space (shown in the intro cinematic), but evidently they were wrong... In addition, Helghast cruisers are equipped with air-to-air units such as fighters and leechpods, while ISA cruisers only have their missiles and anti-air defences, with no available flying air units apart from Intruders.

KZObsessed

tiddles said:
The player's squad is part of a commando unit who are supposed to be able to move quickly and thus generally don't have that much body armour - the standard ISA troops have helmets and armour as you would expect.

Intruders (the flying platforms they enter battle in) are actually repurposed civilian transporters. The ISA is a colonial defence force, and they've had to cobble together their invasion army from many different sources - obsolete cruisers from Earth, industrial vehicles and so on.

Obsolete cruisers? Can't wait to see the newest model! :)

Garjon

Atrus said:
The re-invasion of Vekta most likely, but that's only conditional on their ability to keep the Earth fleet from interfering. The Helghast aren't going to sit around after what happens to Phyrrus, but they certainly aren't going to invade again until they can prevent any interference from Earth.
I think most of the next KZ could be a Battle of Dunkirk situation, where you spend a lot of the game trying to reorganise the ISA forces to take on the Helghast fleet or simply just escape back to Vekta.

Of course, it won't go completely to plan...:D

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Guerilla... please patch in mouse support.

I had UTIII sitting there in my pile of PS3 games and decided to mess around with it last night. Horrible framerate aside (it actually started to make my head hurt), it played soooooooo nice holding the DS3 in one hand and my bluetooth mouse in the other. This alone would make KZ2 exponentially more playable and consequently, fun.

Has GG gone on record re: m/kb support?

Firestorm said:
Are you really bringing in that thing from god knows how long ago again now? You just keep sinking lower and lower :lol

That's not ODST btw. Waaay before ODST came out.

wut?

I tried to go back to the multiplayer today after I raged quit MW2, one thing I notice that needs to be adressed in the sequel is the variety of weapons or weapon balance, there are simply not enough good weapons, you can easily get borred with ISA rifle and the next best thing is the shotgun or the sniper rifle, everything else is useless, especially the light machine guns.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
trk_rkd said:
Your last sentence was totally true and I guess the thing about not being able to reload while zoomed is true (but I can't say I ever really noticed it, either) but everything else was crazy. I mean, 60 fps would be nice, sure, but at what cost? and the other stuff? The original gears was more impressive? Wah? And what do you mean "grit" post processing effects? They're barely noticeable, and to be honest I think most people would've preferred them turned up (like they were in the preview builds). And what do you mean "adjusting aiming mid clip"? If you're talking about the barrel climbing after a prolonged burst, that's been with us since at least counterstrike. and it's GOOD. i don't want to play fucking cod where i point in the general direction of the enemy, shoulder my rifle and get an easy kill...

There's a lot of IMO unnecessary post processing effects in the game. It's just overdone. Minor aesthetic gripe. My aiming issues may be attributed to the DS3. It's not muzzle climb either. I just find myself having difficulty keeping the reticule on an enemy that's in motion. But the game offers so little in the way of control customization that you just have to deal with it I guess.

What's 'high precision' do? Is that the auto-aim feature?

-viper-

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
wut?

I tried to go back to the multiplayer today after I raged quit MW2, one thing I notice that needs to be adressed in the sequel is the variety of weapons or weapon balance, there are simply not enough good weapons, you can easily get borred with ISA rifle and the next best thing is the shotgun or the sniper rifle, everything else is useless, especially the light machine guns.
The Helghast machine gun is deadly. A few shots and bam, you're dead.

Garjon

-viper- said:
The Helghast machine gun is deadly. A few shots and bam, you're dead.
Yep, pity you can't say the same for the ISA LMG, but for some reason it seems to be the other way round in Campaign

DaCocoBrova said:
But the game offers so little in the way of control customization that you just have to deal with it I guess.

WTF. This is one of very few games that actually give you separate sliders for vertical and horizontal sensitivity.

ClearCELL

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
wut?

For Killzone 3 I want some more futuristic weapons with lasers and stuff.

Nizz

tiddles said:

Or maybe they're so badass they don't need armor. ;)

DaCocoBrova said:
I had UTIII sitting there in my pile of PS3 games and decided to mess around with it last night. Horrible framerate aside (it actually started to make my head hurt), it played soooooooo nice holding the DS3 in one hand and my bluetooth mouse in the other. This alone would make KZ2 exponentially more playable and consequently, fun.
Huh? I had UT3 and I thought the framerate was fine. Only reason I traded it in was cause I wanted a new game and didn't have enough $ so I used what I got for store credit.

I remember it being a solid 30fps with maybe a slight dip once in a while. I may pick it up again for some good old fashioned twitchy deathmatch.

DaCocoBrova said:
There's a lot of IMO unnecessary post processing effects in the game. It's just overdone. Minor aesthetic gripe. My aiming issues may be attributed to the DS3. It's not muzzle climb either. I just find myself having difficulty keeping the reticule on an enemy that's in motion. But the game offers so little in the way of control customization that you just have to deal with it I guess.

What's 'high precision' do? Is that the auto-aim feature?
What the high precision mode does is reduce the dead zone in the sticks, so when you push on the right stick, it responds way more quickly than the original controls. Maybe you're having trouble keeping the reticule on an enemy because this game has way less aim assist than other console fps. I know I had to adjust at first.

But also if you don't have high precision mode on, the bigger dead zone can make it a little trickier to keep your sights on someone. You'd have to compensate and lead targets a bit earlier.

Apath

Rapping Granny said:
wut?

It's that delay before the kill registers that gimps the LMG. In fact, it kind of gimps everything. I remember people were trying to justify it, but really, it just annoys the crap out of me >.<

The ISA cruisers are powerful in space, due to the fact that their main propulsion system doubles as a devastating beam weapon, but in atmosphere the engines are needed to maintain altitude, restricting their offensive use to targets directly beneath them. The ISA thought they had destroyed the Helghast fleet in the opening attack in space (shown in the intro cinematic), but evidently they were wrong... In addition, Helghast cruisers are equipped with air-to-air units such as fighters and leechpods, while ISA cruisers only have their missiles and anti-air defences, with no available flying air units apart from Intruders.
That makes a bit more sense. I just don't understand where they can keep hiding these colossal ships.

Effect

tiddles said:

Thanks for explaining this.

KZObsessed

I would like to reserve my place as KZ3's ONE UNITED GAF Clan Leader and for posting the Official Thread (after BruceLeeRoy does all the work of course :lol :p)

Hope everyone is fine with that?

FFObsessed said:
I would like to reserve my place as KZ3's ONE UNITED GAF Clan Leader and for posting the Official Thread (after BruceLeeRoy does all the work of course :lol :p)

You make my love for Killzone seem apathetic and neutral.

-viper-

Banned
FFObsessed said:

and i reserve my place as clan officer.
so i can register to more clan games without telling anyon

TheFatOne

FFObsessed said:

This will never happen because I will buy Killzone 3 and make the GAF clan out of spite :p

Cruzader

Banned
tiddles, where do you get your info from? I never knew the thing about the ISA cruiser thing. Damn it, why wasnt all these awesome killzone facts told to you via the story? Or maybe it was but the cursing sorta makes the player miss those things?

Facism

FFObsessed said:

Think you could hold a candle to our illustrious Premiere, Raist? I don't think you could, not unless you went out and bought a black leather jacket.

I'm in

KZObsessed

Great games tonight Lince, Rick, Aj <3, Jardel and that one with Qlaaaaaarqheh.

major_killjoy said:
You make my love for Killzone seem apathetic and neutral.

Filthy neutral
angry.gif

TheFatOne said:
This will never happen because I will buy Killzone 3 and make the GAF clan out of spite :p

bastard :lol

I do hope we can have one proper clan next time tho.

-viper- said:
and i reserve my place as clan officer.
so i can register to more clan games without telling anyon

lol Negaiido did that as well, we lost both of them I think. F U.

Cruzader said:
tiddles, where do you get your info from? I never knew the thing about the ISA cruiser thing. Damn it, why wasnt all these awesome killzone facts told to you via the story? Or maybe it was but the cursing sorta makes the player miss those things?

By working at Guerrilla Games. :p

Facism said:
Think you could hold a candle to our illustrious Premiere, Raist? I don't think you could, not unless you went out and bought a black leather jacket.

I'm in

My Black to Brown leather jacket ratio is 2:1... in favor of the Black.

I am ready.

KZObsessed

morlock said:

Outstanding montage again morlock. Lots of weapon variety this time. Awesome M4 work especially.

A little too much spawn camping :lol but headshotting the guys in the ISA base with the M82 was great. And the flamethrower :lol Awesome.

Great stuff. I do love a good KZ2 montage. I pray there's video capturing in KZ3 so everyone can make them and share.

-viper-

Banned
good video. the intro was great.

it just reminded me how much I miss playing KZ2 MP. The best FPS i've ever played on any console.

FFObsessed said:
Outstanding montage again morlock. Lots of weapon variety this time. Awesome M4 work especially.

A little too much spawn camping :lol but headshotting the guys in the ISA base with the M82 was great. And the flamethrower :lol Awesome.

Great stuff. I do love a good KZ2 montage. I pray there's video capturing in KZ3 so everyone can make them and share.
Dude I've been meaning to ask you this...what does the "FF" in your username stand for? Final Fantasy?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Tried to join FFObsessed and Lince last night, got some message about my rank being too low. :lol
(I havent played KZ2 on my new PSN Account)

KZObsessed

Fersis said:
Tried to join FFObsessed and Lince last night, got some message about my rank being too low. :lol
(I havent played KZ2 on my new PSN Account)

That means who ever created the server set it to "my rank only" I think it's a range of 3 ranks difference who are allowed to play, not sure, never really tested it. Doesn't include the "Hardcore Ranks" tho. Fersisowned :p

We had some great games yesterday, had 5-6 GAFfers on our team each time.

TacticalFox88 said:
Dude I've been meaning to ask you this...what does the "FF" in your username stand for? Final Fantasy?

Fist Fucking
Final Fantasy :p

Lince

Banned
gg today Dubbed in English, GAFe at the top of that looong game ! I'm proud of you !
and of course FFO should be clan leader and whatever he demands, after all he's KZ2 top player here and the winner
of my heart

morlock

FFObsessed said:

Hehe, tanks man. Spawncamping is sometimes unavoidable in this game, I play mostly small games, 5v5/6v6 games so I don't get many "multikills" otherwise. :)

Ikkarus

I had been meaning to grab the DLC maps for a long time now.

Yesterday I finally got around to downloading them and was looking forward to playing on them after hearing great things about most of levels.

Little did I know that hardly anyone plays them. :(
I know it's early days yet but do many people play on the DLC maps?

I was just looking forward to burning a few people. :lol

Great montage by the way morlock.

Ikkarus said:

Yesterday I finally got around to downloading them and was looking forward to playing on them after hearing great things about most of levels.

Yea most people host old maps now...I got Killzone 2 back again in Dec and found that out to... :(

Apath

Ikkarus said:

I've been playing the game since launch and I have yet to download any of them. I'm not sure why either; I found only a few of the maps that came with the game to be decent. I remember when the game wasn't out yet Private Hoffman kept going on about this game being the ultimate multiplayer experience and that every map was perfect, amazing, etc. What a disappointment -_-

Are they worth getting outside of not being played often?

Randy

Never really understood the whole DLC maps thingie. Imo it divides the community. That gameplay montage is superb btw. Really nice kills and it shows off quite some environments and weapons.

Only thing that I personally don't like about Killzone are the brownish colors. Myself, I'm really more of a "wants more colors"-guy.

Kenak said:
I've been playing the game since launch and I have yet to download any of them. I'm not sure why either; I found only a few of the maps that came with the game to be decent. I remember when the game wasn't out yet Private Hoffman kept going on about this game being the ultimate multiplayer experience and that every map was perfect, amazing, etc. What a disappointment -_-

Are they worth getting outside of not being played often?
I think so..but the maps I like are Vekta Cruiser from the Steel and Titanium pack,both maps from the Flash & Thunder and from the Napalm & Cordite I like the Arctower Landing..

Apath

Randy said:
Never really understood the whole DLC maps thingie. Imo it divides the community. That gameplay montage is superb btw. Really nice kills and it shows off quite some environments and weapons.

Only thing that I personally don't like about Killzone are the brownish colors. Myself, I'm really more of a "wants more colors"-guy.
Killzone really isn't that brown. Each level just has like... a color theme and it focuses on that. Some are very brown, some are blue, some are green, some are yellow, etc. It has its reasonings though, in trying to convey a bleak and war-torn world that feels like it would be impossible to survive on.

-viper-

Banned
Kenak said:
Killzone really isn't that brown. Each level just has like... a color theme and it focuses on that. Some are very brown, some are blue, some are green, some are yellow, etc. It has its reasonings though, in trying to convey a bleak and war-torn world that feels like it would be impossible to survive on.
Killzone 2 had too much colour imo

This is how the game should have been:
killzone-2-20071203082044421.jpg

trk_rkd

Banned
morlock said:

doood... wikkerrrred...

(sorry that was a very GT/n4g level post)

-viper- said:

[dreary black n white picture]

I kinda know what you mean, the high contrast black-on-white visuals of the early trailers was fucking striking. Having said that, such a palette could definitely cause fatigue after a while, no matter how awesome it looked initially. Also, the wider colour palette made differentiating the environment a little easier which might've made combat easier in comparison to the near-black n white game we didn't end up getting.

Fundamentally though I agree: aesthetically the near-monochromatic visuals of the E3 2007 trailer were fucking stunning, people who complained about the lack of colour were just picking up on something easy to bitch about.

KZObsessed

Lince said:
gg today Dubbed in English, GAFe at the top of that looong game ! I'm proud of you !
and of course FFO should be clan leader and whatever he demands, after all he's KZ2 top player here and the winner
of my heart

omg :lol :lol

I still say you're better overall and aj when in his prime.

Effect

Finally got to try out the game. Rented it but don't think I'm going to be buying it in the end. If I was bigger into FPS I would pick it up as it is enjoyable. Though not crazy about controls. To used to the Wii controls. Anything outside of that seems like a step down to me now.

I have come to realize something though. I do not like the non-health system (the screen having blood as your vision gets worse system) shooters are using now. I really, really, really don't. I much prefer to have a health and/or shield system that was in Halo, Medal fo Honor Heroes 2, Metroid Prime, Bioshock, and even Resistance 1 (was disappointed to hear that was removed from Resistance 2). I know the new systems are suppose to add a bit more realism to the game or perhaps increase the intensity of the action but I find simply annoying.

careful

-viper- said:

Agreed 100% for single player. The atmosphere looks much more intense with the old colour scheme. Though for MP, I would prefer more varied environments. If anything, just to see the engine flex its muscles a bit in other settings.

To the folks asking about the DLC: I've played in full games with all six DLC maps in rotation each of the last three times I've played. They're not "popular," but you run into them often enough so that the bundle pack wouldn't be a complete waste of money.

I would mention, too, though, that generally those games are full of CICs, which means lots of shit-talking, lots of talking about everything but the game at hand, lots of whining, and lots of guys who will invariably go 57-12. In other words, they're some of the unfriendliest games you'll find for newbs and/or otherwise "average" players.

But, yeah, you can definitely find games with them, and if you host your own they tend to fill up quicker than standard games, in my experience.

Top Bottom