• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Dibbz

4313236237_c38a320fb6.jpg

4313970626_5528717c99.jpg

4313233857_90c2f78ddc.jpg

4313236969_cf0c6f4718.jpg

4313980928_303d9960e0_o.gif

4313245267_511c35df92_o.gif

Gah wish I had a better way to do some captures. Is there anything I can use to capture for cheap without having to play in SD? I'm thinking about getting a camcorder just for this game :|

Any word on a screen capture option for single/multiplayer?

ejfrzk.jpg

105t8pk.jpg

Can't wait to see the next Killzone :drool

Also, what's the deal with the Helghast and their white glow? It's the only thing that bugs me about the game's graphics.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wax Free Vanilla said:
Not going to happen, ive asked this to seb as soon as the game was out. :lol

Steroyd

Eh? I thought Sony stealthily input an option for that across all games, go to picture while playing a game and a capture screenshot option is there?

Edit: looks like it's for selected games. -_-

Dibbz

Wax Free Vanilla said:

http://i48.tinypic.com/ejfrzk.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/105t8pk.jpg[IMG]

Can't wait to see the next Killzone :drool

Also, what's the deal with the Helghast and their white glow? It's the only thing that bugs me about the game's graphics.[/QUOTE]
Wow how did you take those shots?

theBishop

Banned
It may be a minor point but I CANT BELIEVE Guerilla still hasn't fixed the glitch in the opening cutscene.

They added the glitch via a patch (wasn't on the disc), and after 2 (i think...) subsequent updates, it's still not fixed.

Massa

theBishop said:
It may be a minor point but I CANT BELIEVE Guerilla still hasn't fixed the glitch in the opening cutscene.

They added the glitch via a patch (wasn't on the disc), and after 2 (i think...) subsequent updates, it's still not fixed.

What glitch?

theBishop

Banned
Massa said:
What glitch?

Where you have to wait a good 30-50 seconds into the opening trailer before your mashing on the X button registers. When the game launched, you could skip immediately at the "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents" screen. You get an audible "tick" when you press a button, but it doesn't actually skip until Visari's fat face is on-screen.

So I finally started playing this and I just got to the second level in the campaign and I really feel bored. It's not terrible but it's not really super exciting either. I'm really awestruck by the graphics but the writing sucks and I really don't like the controls (especially the gimmicky six axis parts). The controls is probably the most annoying part for me since I don't like any of the pre-set or alternative setups. Still trying to get used to using L1 to melee.

I'm not sure if it's my PS3 but the game freezes a lot for me, especially when it's loading a new part of the game.

theBishop

Banned
effingvic said:
So I finally started playing this and I just got to the second level in the campaign and I really feel bored. It's not terrible but it's not really super exciting either. I'm really awestruck by the graphics but the writing sucks and I really don't like the controls (especially the gimmicky six axis parts). The controls is probably the most annoying part for me since I don't like any of the pre-set or alternative setups. Still trying to get used to using L1 to melee.

I'm not sure if it's my PS3 but the game freezes a lot for me, especially when it's loading a new part of the game.

They rely on scripting and spectacle a little too much in the beginning. It really picks up around level 3 or 4. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't play the sandy level and the train.

DrPirate

Banned
theBishop said:
Where you have to wait a good 30-50 seconds into the opening trailer before your mashing on the X button registers. When the game launched, you could skip immediately at the "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents" screen. You get an audible "tick" when you press a button, but it doesn't actually skip until Visari's fat face is on-screen.

Dude are you living in a fucking timewarp.

They made the splash screen with the company name unskippable. It's 10 seconds at most.

Mikey Jr.

theBishop said:

lol. Yeah, that was intentional.

theBishop

Banned
Massa said:
Yes, that's not a glitch. It was added intentionally at the request of Sony.

I'd like to see the source for that.

Regardless, if it's not a glitch, it shouldn't register your input with a useless audio indicator. And the moment it does register is not notable in any way. It's just a random spot in the video where skipping is enabled. There should be some indication. This offends me on pure software engineering grounds.

noah111

Still Alive
theBishop said:

Regardless, if it's not a glitch, it shouldn't register your input with a useless audio indicator. And the moment it does register is not notable in any way. It's just a random spot in the video where skipping is enabled. There should be some indication. This offends me on pure software engineering grounds.
Agreed, but it's definitely not a glitch. They added it in patch v1.24 forcing you to view the Sony/GG logos. Supposedly the glitch was that you COULD skip it before..

Googled a bit to give you a 'source', so here.

Schrade

theBishop said:

http://community.killzone.com/scee/...w=by_date_ascending&message.id=117112#M117112

motherh666 said:
aat08 said:
Well, it looks like the patch has disabled the ability to skip the GG logo at boot.
Yeah sorry about that. Sony requirement.

Seb Downie - Producer - Guerrilla Games

Also first mentioned in this thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15562093#post15562093

Dibbz

Can't blame them for wanting their company name to come up when the game boots for everyone to see. Agree that they should get rid of the click noise but it was a quick fix that disabled it's function to skip rather than disable to button altogether. Not a big deal though.

I was reading an article from back when KZ2 just released and found this little nugget.

A game developer will know the best answer to the most asked question because they've been asked so many times. So what makes a good game? Jan-Bart happily replied “Just the right amount of fun, just the right amount of frustration. I like a game that makes me yell out and punch a pillow once in a while.”

Source: http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4954&page=3

I guess we know who designed the final level then. Oh and I found this cool image of Radec without his mask on. Dude looks crazy.

killzone008.jpg

*END SPOILER* Game has been out for nearly a year so I'm not gonna spoiler tag this.

I kinda wish the end fight was a lot more personal instead of throwing swarms of enemies at you. Maybe Rico could have got stuck somewhere leaving Sev and Radec to fight it out alone in the palace without him teleporting everywhere.

KZObsessed

They need more characters like Radec, Metrac & Cobar in KZ3. More political leaders should come forth rallying for control of Helghan (battle of the epic speeches! :p) and have boss fights against all the most vicious Colonels and Generals of the Helghast army. At least 4 boss fights. 1 of them should be a 1v1 battle with a sniper. MGS3 style.

theBishop said:
They rely on scripting and spectacle a little too much in the beginning. It really picks up around level 3 or 4. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't play the sandy level and the train.

Yeah I keep on hearing that. I'm just finishing up the second level now so I'll keep on going. I don't really like dropping games after I've started them anyways.

FFObsessed said:
They need more characters like Radec, Metrac & Cobar in KZ3. More political leaders should come forth rallying for control of Helghan (battle of the epic speeches! :p) and have boss fights against all the most vicious Colonels and Generals of the Helghast army. At least 4 boss fights. 1 of them should be a 1v1 battle with a sniper. MGS3 style.

YES! What I love about the Killzone series is the over-zealous bosses. We need more of 'em. It'd be great if we got to fight the Helghan equivalent of the Cobra Unit.

All of the hate in the K3 news thread is making me sad :'(.

Dibbz

FFObsessed said:
What I found disappointing in KZ2 was how little character most people had. To me the single player was full of people saying nothing that contributed at all to anything. I don't even know what Sev thought of the whole thing an I'm apparently playing the guy. Radec seemed cool and evil but really he didn't do anything at all. Just watched in the distance all of the time and said nothing much.

I really hope they spend more time on the characters and develop them a lot more.

Ballistictiger said:
My only gripe about the graphics are the shadows. Such a thing can hold back how beautiful this game could have been.

Yeah, but when you take into count the number of light sources the engine generates, creating hundreds and hundreds of high quality shadows really kills the performance.

It will be quite interesting to see what are the areas that are going to get the most improvements in the next Killzone.

Dibbz

Ballistictiger said:
My only gripe about the graphics are the shadows. Such a thing can hold back how beautiful this game could have been.
It might sound funny but I love the soft look of the shadows. Shadows are never really crisp unless you're stood directly in front of a light anyway so most of the time it looks really good in KZ2.

Dibbz

According to the leaderboards there were 78032 people on last week. Safe to say there is a strong community on KZ2.

The leaderboard doesn't outright say the amount of players but 16 players are listed on each page of the leaderboard and there were 4877 pages so 16 x 4877 = 78032

trk_rkd

Banned
Dibbz said:
According to the leaderboards there were 78032 people on last week. Safe to say there is a strong community on KZ2.

Yeah, it's a bit like LBP (and, before that, warhawk) in that although the initial 400 000 or whatever community dropped off pretty quick it still stabilised at very high numbers. All that early trolling of the MP being a fail because of the dwindling numbers was such bullshit. Still my current favourite shooter, I'm gonna stick with it until the fabled Starhawk comes out... MAG is damn tempting but unfortunately I don't really have much time the next six months, 4th year uni & a full time job...

theBishop said:

SOURCE: this thread a few hundred pages back and just about every killzone 2 thread on the internet. seb downie, aka gg's community director/pr type honcho.

(Beaten)

as others have said, you used to get (impressively quick) load to the front menu but then frickin' sony corporate made gg patch it so you have to wait til the gg logo had been and gone. ranks alongside releasing Home (as a beta? at all?) and the recent closure of Studio Liverpool as sony corporate's most pointlessly dim-witted decisions of the last twelve months or so.

Dibbz said:
Can't blame them for wanting their company name to come up when the game boots for everyone to see. Agree that they should get rid of the click noise but it was a quick fix that disabled it's function to skip rather than disable to button altogether. Not a big deal though.

I was reading an article from back when KZ2 just released and found this little nugget.

I guess we know who designed the final level then. Oh and I found this cool image of Radec without his mask on. Dude looks crazy.

killzone008.jpg

*END SPOILER* Game has been out for nearly a year so I'm not gonna spoiler tag this.

I kinda wish the end fight was a lot more personal instead of throwing swarms of enemies at you. Maybe Rico could have got stuck somewhere leaving Sev and Radec to fight it out alone in the palace without him teleporting everywhere.

you probably want to be ready for GoW3 then because the director Stig had an interview with OPM where he share the same philosophy :D

Radec looks pretty cool, a bit different than what I imagine though. I imagine him more reserved and in control of his emotion. that face make him look like a very psycho and bloodthirsty look in his face.

is there any relation between Radec and Hakka? they have the same voice actor right? just coincidence?

Dibbz

Regarding which characters in Killzone 3 Sev mentions just after the nuke goes off that there are 2 Helghan regiments coming back with Radec's personal guard taking point. Could be interesting.

the_prime_mover said:
Congrats GG. The A.I is superb.

Now just release a squad based objective/horde type game mode for KZ2. Four players vs. a tonne of bots in either straight up survival or objective situations on the available maps. Everyone loads out as Medic with your choice of secondary (if unlocked) and weapon drops come from downed enemies. You can already more or less emulate this in a custom game, but it isn't really the same thing.

They have bulit and improved on the superb AI of the original!

I like the fact that you can set-up a 2-4 player vs 16 Bots custom Warzone online.

As you say, you can sort of have a horde like experience already with that many bots. You just need to customise the game. The trick is to make it a Private online game, that way you can keep the bots and not have them replaced with other players joining. The bots do a good job of playing each game mode.

I like alternating between 10 mins Capture & Hold and 5 mins Search & Retrieve this mixes up the game play enough.

Cornbread78

I miss the online portion of this game. The Warzone option was amazing and kept things interestign was the best thing no need to queue in and out of games constantly. It just kept going.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
so I want to get into the Killzone MP but I don't just want to play with random dudes. How do I get hooked up with the GAF crew, assuming you guys are still active?

Lince

Banned
Kodiak said:
so I want to get into the Killzone MP but I don't just want to play with random dudes. How do I get hooked up with the GAF crew, assuming you guys are still active?

unfortunately we've pretty much moved on (MAG now and BFBC2 soon), but you can still join the clan if you want and play with some lone wolves like FFO, Chryz-US, myself and others that keep playing from time to time.

trk_rkd

Banned
Kz2, it's been real. probably played this game more than any multiplayer this gen (warhawk still a close second) but fatigue has finally started to kick in. i hope to see you back, bigger and better than ever in a year or so.

(please work on your SP dialogue and VA in the meantime. cheers.)

Cornbread78

AgentOtaku said:
Just wanted to say I love you KZ2

Yeah, me too, this game still rocks, almost a year later. Happy early B-Day B Killzone2! Yes, how could I ever forget....

Killzone2-4.jpg

Almost liek it was yesterday we were in a 16v16 cluster F$#% in the middle of RAdec trying to plant some C4 on those Halghast ba$tards.....

Top Bottom