• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

That was cool ad. I thought it was like other ads in which it uses a touched up CGfied version of the games visuals like many other....but then I read this...

Torgo said:
From a Press Release that I just got:

"In anticipation of the Killzone 2 release, SCEA will also be launching a new television ad campaign this week in collaboration with Killzone 2 developer Guerrilla Games, Los Angeles based Zoic Studios and ad agency Deutsch LA. Coined the “Bullet” commercial, the new ad was rendered entirely in-engine via the incredible power of the Killzone 2 engine and PS3 technology to preserve the unique visual and epic gameplay experience.

"Every single frame of this commercial was directly rendered on a PS3 without the need for additional tweaking or touching up. We're very proud that our game engine technology has reached the point where we don't have to resort to software pre-rendering,” said Hermen Hulst, Managing Director. “In that regard it is a testament to our commitment to deliver on what we promise. What you see is what you get.”

SCEA will also be releasing a playable version of the ad, where users can control the camera view to explore the behind-the-scenes techniques used to create the ad. This version will also include a director’s commentary explaining the team’s efforts to develop a campaign that was true to the actual gaming experience"

....Jesus Christ! That's absolutely sick!!

Seriously, WTF?!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Playstationblog said:
To offer you some insight into the technology behind this game, we will release a playable version of this in-engine ad vignette on the PlayStation Network coming in March. You’ll be able to control the camera and hear director commentary on how the production was completed using only the game’s technology. The project codename is “Killzone in 4-D” – hope you can check it out..

WOW, that is awesome, 4-D has officially arrived.

nib95

Banned
If the ad was truly in-game engine, it should have had a "Representative of gameplay visuals" in the beginning similar to what the Gears of War Mad World ad had.

Andronicus said:
SF4, Flower, Killzone......damn this is a good PS3 month

And if 2.7 is real..Then PS3 will be on Fire!

NVTech_envi0134.jpg

nib95

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Seriously, I'm watching the HD ad over and over....and I'm still going WTF?!

Well, comparing it to the actual game's visuals, it looks to me like the only extra things the trailer has the actual game doesn't are added AA and depth of field effects. Likely still part of the engine, but omitted in the actual game compared to the degree found in the trailer to keep the frame rate stable or to make things look better (sometimes less DOF gives a better sense of scale/distance).

Ploid 3.0

HomerSimpson-Man said:
That was cool ad. I thought it was like other ads in which it uses a touched up CGfied version of the games visuals like many other....but then I read this...

....Jesus Christ! That's absolutely sick!!

Seriously, WTF?!

Omg wow, now that's advertising (the behind the scenes download thing). Put that baby on psn and fool around with it while you learn about the process. That's darn slick.

McLovin

Torgo said:
From a Press Release that I just got:

"In anticipation of the Killzone 2 release, SCEA will also be launching a new television ad campaign this week in collaboration with Killzone 2 developer Guerrilla Games, Los Angeles based Zoic Studios and ad agency Deutsch LA. Coined the “Bullet” commercial, the new ad was rendered entirely in-engine via the incredible power of the Killzone 2 engine and PS3 technology to preserve the unique visual and epic gameplay experience.

"Every single frame of this commercial was directly rendered on a PS3 without the need for additional tweaking or touching up. We're very proud that our game engine technology has reached the point where we don't have to resort to software pre-rendering,” said Hermen Hulst, Managing Director. “In that regard it is a testament to our commitment to deliver on what we promise. What you see is what you get.”

SCEA will also be releasing a playable version of the ad, where users can control the camera view to explore the behind-the-scenes techniques used to create the ad. This version will also include a director’s commentary explaining the team’s efforts to develop a campaign that was true to the actual gaming experience"
Hot damn!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
nib95 said:
Aside from the added AA and depth of field, it's pretty obviously still in-engine.
I very much doubt they added DOF in post processing here. Game has DOF as well both in cutscenes and gameplay. They simply could pull all the resources/textures into a smaller cutscene to make this commercial, they didn't have to make a whole level, so they could up the quality of the assets as needed. Even AA doesn't seem really increased - in both 720p and 1080p version of the trailer, there's some visible aliasing - take a look at the gun scope as he fires the bullet, or those wooden planks on the left right after bullet is fired.

I don't think they've actually done any processing to this footage than what's natively rendered by the console

*edit* upon closer inspection, it looks like the 1080p version of the ad is just upscaled 720p footage.

G-Bus

Banned
IIRC there was another Killzone 2 ad that was released before the US one, I think it was for Europe. The camera was circling around a couple guys with a lot of stuff going on. Was wondering if that one was up in better quality.

Nice commercial and for most of it I couldn't help but think, "why in the fuck are they using CGI when the game looks so damn good". The part where the camera goes over the puddle, the helghast models and bullets chunking away pieces of the piller all looked very much like what I remember from seeing gameplay.

Awesome ad, but the whole releasing it as a tech demo on psn is just absolutely ace. They're spitting in the face of all the devs that use cooked footage of their games to try and sell them, and it's f'ing awesome.

lupinko

G-Bus said:
IIRC there was another Killzone 2 ad that was released before the US one, I think it was for Europe. The camera was circling around a couple guys with a lot of stuff going on. Was wondering if that one was up in better quality.

Nice commercial and for most of it I couldn't help but think, "why in the fuck are they using CGI when the game looks so damn good". The part where the camera goes over the puddle, the helghast models and bullets chunking away pieces of the piller all looked very much like what I remember from seeing gameplay.

It's like you didn't bother reading the blog post on the official US blog or any of the other posts in this thread.

icechai

G-Bus said:

you fail...

but it could be a common misconception to the public watching the commercial, then they'll be thinking, why isn't the CG more glossy or something x_x

rexor0717

Zen said:
killzone2_174839.jpg

Stupid Helghast and their stupid awesome stupid look stupid arg.
Even though he doesn't have a lot of time in the game
Radek (spelled right?)
is a cool character. Or maybe just his voice acting.

icechai

DevilWillcry said:
I see Sony has finally learned how to market a game. Very intense ad. Now they just need to have it running in heavy rotation.

there's more to marketing a game than making one ad, but hey, at least its a start :p

braimuge

Banned
I'm such a lazy bastard, my friend's got connections in Hong Kong, I could have had this game ages ago. wtf is wrong with me :lol

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
-xBerserker- said:
Came from web design I believe. Like in dreamweaver you can edit web pages directly in the GUI (graphical user interface), and it's WYSIWYG. At least that is when I first heard the term.

It's an interface design term. Back in the old days interfaces could use rather occult symbolism - a combination of programmer graphics an immature design skill sets.

When you're clicking on the pulsing orange octahedron to get your mail, it's old school. When you're clicking on a little envelope it's WYSIWYG - because what you see is what you get.

It's the simplest form of interface for new users to absorb, the most intuitive.

Mik2121

Chittagong said:
3293992445_54f7bf3595_b.jpg

Hay guys check out what I picked up today in Hong Kong from the Golden Computer Arcade

Pick up another one and send it to me, I'm not too far from there! (Osaka, Japan) :D

But seriously.. I plan on getting it via Play-Asia.. I wonder if they will get it anytime soon..

2 questions:

Has 7-Eleven started breaking the street date for this game? If not, when?

And has anyone made a YouTube mash-up of that commercial with Freak on a Leash? If not, when?

A.R.K

Iain Howe said:
It's an interface design term. Back in the old days interfaces could use rather occult symbolism - a combination of programmer graphics an immature design skill sets.

When you're clicking on the pulsing orange octahedron to get your mail, it's old school. When you're clicking on a little envelope it's WYSIWYG - because what you see is what you get.

It's the simplest form of interface for new users to absorb, the most intuitive.

exactly...thats the same concept I used for my PS3ThemeCreator software :)

btw, just saw the 1080P trailer from PSN ....and damn it looks SICK in HD!!!! WOW
The interactive 4-D stuff will be beyond awesome :D

Top Bottom