• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Man

KZ2 won't be 3D patched. I'm going to watch Qore now but I'm HIGHLY doubtful. We know they have had the bullet tech-demo in 3D for a while but the whole game... Even if they say so in Qore, unless that is Tretton or the director of KZ2 (de Jonge) I'm writing that up to confused pr person. Doubtful, doubtful, doubtful. I would not be surprised though if KZ3 came with it.

Edit: Just saw Qore. Was just the Qore journos drawing conclusions it seems based on all the tech demos (they said all those games would be 3D titles).

2nd Edit:

Qore team said:
Unfortunately, our feature did not make it clear that the 2D game footage was included for demonstration purposes only. We apologize for the erroneous inference that 3D versions of LBP, Wipeout HD, Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5 or Super Stardust HD are in production.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...od-of-war-iii-splitsecond-3d-dot-game-heroes/

DoomGyver

AranhaHunter said:
I hope not because I'm just about to rebuy it now that's 30 bucks.
I did this a few days ago, $30 for the game and $8 for the DLC pack which is an awesome deal. The community is there, I just think that all of the casuals have moved on. I really like the DLC maps but the two times I played them there was only one room :lol Someone had "new maps" rotating in a loooong match, easily enough time to get my 50 kills trophy.

One thing that does bug me is the obsession with radec academy, yeah it's a good map but I think people are just abusing the horrible spawns and spawn-trapping noobs for cheap kills.

If any gaffers still play this regularly add me, I've jumped back into it
don't know why I quit :/ psn is Full-Recovery

any glitches/cheaters I should be aware of?

JardeL

I'm so close to 500 hours of MP and this game still keeps amazing me every single minute. KZ2 is not gonna get old until next-gen mark my words. Top-notch graphics
sorry ND but KZ2 is better
, most realistic combat in a FPS , great SFX & atmosphere and that AWE-INSPIRING VISARI SPEECH!!22!! :D

I still stop playing while in a match and looking around in shock , can't believe my eyes. I still don't get it how GG managed to achieve this level of detail. IGN said it right ; what sort of foul wizardry is this?

I'm not sure if they'll raise the bar again with KZ3 , actually I don't care because KZ2 is the best , just keep it on par with KZ2 , that's enough for me. I'm sure we all wish our brave men and women that work at GG :
FIX THIS SHIT GG!!!
Good luck, and Godspeed. :D

By the way, yesterday or the day before, I was in a server and suddenly a message appeared ;

Moderator : Play fair bla bla bla , thanks.
I'm not Lyulf dammit! I always do!!

Not a PSN message , it was like Squad Invite/Request msg. I didn't know that there are moderators and they can message in-game like that.

Lince

Banned
^^^^

haha they caught you cheating Jardel! you still have to play 150+ hours more to catch me :p

seriously, KZ2 only needed dedicated servers, party system and tweaking the Assault class a bit, as it is you can say it's still the best online FPS in years even with said flaws. KZ3 will be godly.

trk_rkd

Banned
JardeL said:
sorry ND but KZ2 is better
QUOTE]

I agree, uncharted 2 is a stunner but the effects in kz2 are just mindblowing. and every now and again in uncharted 2 i see the enemy AI 1) do something odd or 2) animate a little oddly... kz2 is PERFECT, all the time. wipeout HD is the closest competition IMHO and even then kz2 beats it handsomely. amazing, amazing gameplay too. As much as I love it I put it on the shelf in february... gonna make kz3 alll the sweeter.

Trickster

Just bought a PS3 a short while ago, finally got around to completing killzone 2.

Pretty good SP campaign I must say, though I didn't even realise I beat the game until Sev sat down on the stairs with the camera zooming out.

Graphically it was also very impressive, the lighting and particle effect are really what make it the graphical beast it is.

Controls however sucked majorly, aiming felt like a constant battle in iteself, can't even imagine how they can work in multiplayer, which is partly why I haven't bothered with that part of the game yet :lol

Zen

Banned
Lince said:
^^^^

haha they caught you cheating Jardel! you still have to play 150+ hours more to catch me :p

seriously, KZ2 only needed dedicated servers, party system and tweaking the Assault class a bit, as it is you can say it's still the best online FPS in years even with said flaws. KZ3 will be godly.

Another tweak might be that crouching would be a lot faster. I think the bullet spray could be slightly reduced for a sequel and damage could be more normalized across weapons.

Although I'm tired and not really thinking straight.

BRO

Banned
i popped this is the other day for the first time in three months and am still amazed at the visual fidelity this game has. im a huge sucker for amazing eye candy, and this definitely is at the top of my list; from the film-esque grain, the amazing particle effects, everything that's been said an infinite amount of times before me. killzone 2 always has and always will be my game of forever. it's almost perfect in my eyes.
i hope to God GG doesn't do something drastic with the next iteration of the franchise. i want it to basically be exactly KZ2 but better. if that makes any sense.

mclaren777

BRO said:
i hope to God GG doesn't do something drastic with the next iteration of the franchise. i want it to basically be exactly KZ2 but better. if that makes any sense.
So you just want them to hire a competent script writer for KZ3 then? Yeah, me too.

Full Recovery said:
I did this a few days ago, $30 for the game and $8 for the DLC pack which is an awesome deal. The community is there, I just think that all of the casuals have moved on. I really like the DLC maps but the two times I played them there was only one room :lol Someone had "new maps" rotating in a loooong match, easily enough time to get my 50 kills trophy.

One thing that does bug me is the obsession with radec academy, yeah it's a good map but I think people are just abusing the horrible spawns and spawn-trapping noobs for cheap kills.

If any gaffers still play this regularly add me, I've jumped back into it
don't know why I quit :/ psn is Full-Recovery

any glitches/cheaters I should be aware of?
If you'd caught me a week ago...I was playing the game quite a lot back then. Getting my 100000 points, you see. Now I'm done with it (for a couple of months, at least :D).

The great thing about KZ2 is that the only serious glitching/cheating that goes on is just stat-boosting, so it doesn't actually affect your online experience.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
mclaren777 said:
So you just want them to hire a competent script writer for KZ3 then? Yeah, me too.
Yeah, me three! SP is amazing and all but it gets boring fast without a decent story. People that don't visit GAF or the official site don't even know that there IS a story. It's all go there, do this, kill that many people, have Rico kill Visari annnd you're done, bye bye.

Can't really say much about MP, because 1. I sucked bad at KZ2 MP 2. I'm really not into MP games anymore (unless it's BFBC2).

Almost done with BBC2, should be back into this soon enough. Had a few games last week and I think Bad Company has definitely made me better at KZ2.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Lince said:
come on you won the official KZ2 tournament, that assassination defend will always be remembered though :lol

Foxgirl, GAFe KZ2 elite sniper <3 <3
I did suck! And also, that title belongs to FFObsessed. True to his name, he truly was obsessed with sniping.

Yeah.. when people talk about the tournament they usually think about me freaking out during that assassination defence match. :( *sigh* Should've just muted my mic instead.

Lince

Banned
^^^^

:lol :lol

FFO sniped a lot during the beta, but after that he was 500+ hours by my side as the best Tactician in KZ2 history, FFO legend <3

Cornbread78

Inanna said:
I did suck! And also, that title belongs to FFObsessed. True to his name, he truly was obsessed with sniping.

Yeah.. when people talk about the tournament they usually think about me freaking out during that assassination defence match. :( *sigh* Should've just muted my mic instead.

No worries, I think we've all shouted obusive things while playing this game.

*Example we can all realate to*

Assaination defend, S. Market, 3-3 score

Some random NOOB get's chosen as the target The idiot decides that he doesn't need to hide, so he walks straight up the road in between two buildings. The timers starts, and he get's sniped with 10 guys all standing around him trying to block his path and yelling at him. What an idiot. Too bad you can't report stupid in that game.

There goes the 1.5X boost in the 150 pt game ya NOOB!

Bajan32

Dammit why did I ever trade KZ. Think I'll go pick it back up today.. I been playing mag, uc2 and demons souls.. And all this time I been missing kz..now with all you guys playing I think I will come back :)

BRO

Banned
mclaren777 said:
for the most part, yeah. there's such an incredible atmosphere and such intense ambience in the game that the campaign could have been sooo good, but instead it was a mediocre experience with like super sick visual treats.
i care more about the multiplayer though, as that's what really outshined everything else this gen. the mp was a fucking blast. i fucking love it man, like i'm so passionate about this game for some reason. sony sucks at marketing for real.

Killzone 2 in 3D? Crazy. The game already hurts my eyes and sometimes gives me motion sickness. Imagine what it'd do to me if I played in 3D! :lol

And before they release KZ3...it'd be nice to have a few more maps.

Cornbread78 said:
No worries, I think we've all shouted obusive things while playing this game.

*Example we can all realate to*

Assaination defend, S. Market, 3-3 score

Some random NOOB get's chosen as the target The idiot decides that he doesn't need to hide, so he walks straight up the road in between two buildings. The timers starts, and he get's sniped with 10 guys all standing around him trying to block his path and yelling at him. What an idiot. Too bad you can't report stupid in that game.

There goes the 1.5X boost in the 150 pt game ya NOOB!
Yeah, in public matches I always pray that assassination defend has already gone in a close match. If it's the deciding round, I'll just take it as a loss.

Dibbz

Blood Gracth... Worst map ever. Who though it would be a good idea to allow ISA to snipe Helghast from their own spawn? Can't even defend our spawn because I'm getting shot from the other side of the map. :|

Dibbz said:
Blood Gracth... Worst map ever. Who though it would be a good idea to allow ISA to snipe Helghast from their own spawn? Can't even defend our spawn because I'm getting shot from the other side of the map. :|

HGH can snipe the ISA spawn as well. I love the look and feel of the map, but I wish it was bigger. In fact, for KZ3 I really hope that there are size variations for each map. I would gladly accept 5 or 6 locations if each map had a some small, medium and large variations (like Warhawk, or even R:FoM). The market is a great map that seems to work for all player counts, but the smaller sized maps are great for the 16 player games.

After burning myself out on BC2 I have returned to this game for my mp fix. Lag is still a major issue as are the tweaked airbots. Seems that everyone only wants to set up 32p servers though. Plenty of games still available which is great, but I forgot how much slower this game plays compared to other shooters. I am glad to see that the community has matured to the point where most servers have faction balancing enabled, but it looks like I will have to set up a server myself if I want an RL-free, FF-on game.

Dibbz

the_prime_mover said:
HGH can snipe the ISA spawn as well. I love the look and feel of the map, but I wish it was bigger. In fact, for KZ3 I really hope that there are size variations for each map. I would gladly accept 5 or 6 locations if each map had a some small, medium and large variations (like Warhawk, or even R:FoM). The market is a great map that seems to work for all player counts, but the smaller sized maps are great for the 16 player games.
Yeah HGH can do the same but when ISA are rushing the HGH spawn and I can't stay on the left side of our spawn to pick the off from running up because the snipers keep killing me from the other side of the map something is off. There is no way to stop ISA rushing up the spawn because of this.

KZ3 maps really need to be bigger though. They should go for Visari Hammer sized maps. I usually have good games on that map apart from when it goes to S&D.

Mikey Jr.

Fuck, I want KZ3 so badly you have no idea.

I mean, I have a 360 and its great, but fuck, Sony franchises get me pumped for some reason. Gears 3 for me was like "Ohh cool!". KZ3 announcement has me pumped to high heaven. That and Infamous 2. God damn E3, so fucking close.

COME ON GUERILLA YOU DICKS! Show KZ3 at E3!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Finally picked up Killzone 2.

Are people still playing this online? Is there a matchmaking system in place to ensure I dont get completely dominated out of the starting gate? If not, Ill live, but its a nice feature :D

Anyone here up for showing a KZ2 newbie the ropes online?

Zen

Banned
the_prime_mover said:

Yeah Killzone 3 would benefit from enforcing player count for maps (of course this means you'd need more maps than what KZ2 shipped with) as well as having maps scale to player count (but not during gameplay).

In fact, yeah, Killzone 3 really need maps that scale to player count as well as maps designed and capped at less than 32 players.

The current MP suffers so much because of every map being 32P despite most of the maps having been designed for smaller player counts.

That and lag.

I wonder if KZ3 MP will have Vehicles.

ZeroRay

dslgunstar said:
Finally picked up Killzone 2.

Are people still playing this online? Is there a matchmaking system in place to ensure I dont get completely dominated out of the starting gate? If not, Ill live, but its a nice feature :D

People are still playing but the servers are mostly long ass 32 player matches.
No matchmaking so filter the search to up to 16 player games if you want the best experience but since you're a new, you'll probably only be able to choose a few noob rooms at the start which are usually 32 players.

Melfice7

dslgunstar said:

mb1vo0.jpg

unlearn that, it's a completely different game :D you can search for rooms with your rank only so it's not so bad for newbies

Zen

Banned
Since my PS3 got nuked, I've been replaying Killzone 2 Campaign, and I have to say that I'm enjoying it even more than when it first came out. Coming back to it again with greater perspective and hindsight, I find that I'm much more appreciative of what they did right in the campaign, than I was when I originally played it. There's also the bonus of noticing details that slipped me by before.

After you get to the wastelands, there's a Visari recorded message that starts ranting: "DO NOT BELIEVE THE FILTHY LIES YOU HEAR OF THE SOLUMUN DISTRICT!"

Very nice touch. :lol

Also the Bolt gun is fantastic. :lol

Picked this up and just finished the single player. Can someone give me the quick and dirty on the multiplayer? And no one better say I'm gonna get donged on because of some fucking weapon I don't have unlocked.

Melfice7

PedroLumpy said:
PAnd no one better say I'm gonna get donged on because of some fucking weapon I don't have unlocked.

you gonna get donged not only by weapons you dont have but by classes too :3 but hey you can pick up weapons from dead people :p

PedroLumpy said:
Picked this up and just finished the single player. Can someone give me the quick and dirty on the multiplayer? And no one better say I'm gonna get donged on because of some fucking weapon I don't have unlocked.

The ISA AR is the primary weapon and is probably one of the best in the game. Not having badges unlocked may make you feel under-equipped at the beginning but there are enough unlocks at lower point levels that you should be fine if you stick with a squad. Try to stay on the fringes of fire fights until you get used to the gun combat, pace of the fights and layout of the maps. I think gunplay is a bit different from SP.

Warzone is comprised of Bodycount (TDM), Assassination (Protect the target), Capture and Hold (Zones), Search and Destroy, and Search and Retrieve (CTF). For Assassination and S&D there is a round for each team so each will attack and defend. Thus there are 7 rounds in a warzone with the best 4 of 7 winning the game. A win nets you 1.5x your score as a bonus. When leveling is still an important part of your gameplay you should focus on mission points. If you stick to your objectives you will be rewarded a lot more than if you just treat everything like TDM. Certain medals will give you a permanent increase in points received for certain types of gameplay. You can read these details on your stats screen.

Targets and objectives are clearly outlined on your minimap and the HUD so you just have to pay attention to which team is on attack and which is on defend.

Spawning happens at your HQ which is (lightly) protected by Bots. You can also spawn on a squad leader (if you join a squad) or via a spawn point (if a Tactician throws one down). So in the beginning you will be limited to either a squad spawn or HQ spawn if your team lacks a Tactician. Once you get this unlock then please, be a sport and throw one down in a advantageous spot. Becuase of the spawn system, spawn camping is a possibility.

Strike

PedroLumpy said:

You'll be fine with the standard ISA assault rifle. Try to stay clear of matches that don't have assault class blocked though. The RPG and granade abuse can go from annoying to ri-goddamn-diculous at the drop of a hat. Lag is not as bad as some people say (depending on your connection), but there is an occasional 2-4 second delay with kills. Try to use Tactician and Engineer classes when you unlock them for easy kills.

jett

D-Member
Played some KZ2...you forget sometimes, but this really is the best looking game out there. I should jump into MP again one day. :p

Mikey Jr. said:
Fuck, I want KZ3 so badly you have no idea.

I mean, I have a 360 and its great, but fuck, Sony franchises get me pumped for some reason. Gears 3 for me was like "Ohh cool!". KZ3 announcement has me pumped to high heaven. That and Infamous 2. God damn E3, so fucking close.

COME ON GUERILLA YOU DICKS! Show KZ3 at E3!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!

It must be some Sony rule that every big game must end on an even bigger freakin cliffhanger. The wait for KZ3 and Resistance 3 is mind numbing.

Well, my interest in this as a mp distraction was short lived. Fuck you GG for making the airbots so powerful in any map with an open sky. It seems to take more than a full clip from the AR to take it down but it gets to move around and keep you targeted - I can not kill it in any way except shooting it (if I am not an engineer with an available bot) but it can headshot me and do variable amounts of damage and track me as long as I am out in the open.

On Visari's Hammer someone put an airbot on the top most Capture and Hold point and the thing was circling around both sides of the hammer. I spawned at the back control point and was immediately targetted by the airbot, as in I lost 75% health the second I spawned. There is no cover that you can get to fast enough so I got cut down while running away. I respawn at the front control point and go up the stairs to outside and immediately get headshot by the very same airbot. This story is repeated multiple times on every map. These things target you immediately. I liked it before when they were basically just scouts.

This is yet another instance of GG listening to the wrong gamers. The airbots should have been light attackers that basically just harassed players and indicated on the map the location of the enemy. GG could have also made turrets less effective at killing airbots. Instead they opted to make an airbot kills trophy and to make it easier to get the trophy they over powered the bots. Why exactly do developers believe trophies should dicated gameplay? If this is how some gamers want to act then leave that to them, but keep your game pure.

Hopefully GG (and ND) will have more pride and confidence in their next products.

PedroLumpy said:
So uh .... that didn't go so well. How do you check your ping/lag when you're selecting a match?

lol. That isn't going to happen. Welcome to Lagzone. Lag was a major issue when the game first released and the community was in full force. However, now there are only a few servers up and they are accessed by anyone in the world so you can expect to play against people with 3-4 hundred ping in any given match.

Hopefully KZ2 was enough of a success to warrant dedicated servers and a better server summary (like Warhawk's) in KZ3.

TheFatOne

the_prime_mover said:
lol. That isn't going to happen. Welcome to Lagzone. Lag was a major issue when the game first released and the community was in full force. However, now there are only a few servers up and they are accessed by anyone in the world so you can expect to play against people with 3-4 hundred ping in any given match.

Hopefully KZ2 was enough of a success to warrant dedicated servers and a better server summary (like Warhawk's) in KZ3.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Teknoman

the_prime_mover said:

Only a few? Isnt KZ2 PS3's main first person shooter at this point? What else could people have moved on to?

Top Bottom