• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

depward

I've recently gone back to KZ2 MP and find it really refreshing. The thing about airbots is to just avoid them. And if you're going to take one down, don't do it by shooting your AR at it :lol

I wish there was proper matchmaking. And I wish I could tell before jumping into a server whether or not it's set for a long game.

thuway

depward said:
I wish there was proper matchmaking. And I wish I could tell before jumping into a server whether or not it's set for a long game.

Multiplayer is sex, but I have no idea whats going on half the time since I'm a n00b, and learning the game right now is tough as nails.

One thing about graphics- I hate Natko's face and I just want them to animate mouths properly. Guerilla if your reading this - if you can get facial animations down, you will be boss.

xenorevlis said:
I think it was a crime Killzone 2 was not given an in-game replay system with screenshot function. Sometimes it looks too ridiculous.

That happens with several big Sony games. The most recent example is God of War 3. Another game that should have a screenshot feature but doesn't.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You know, it just occurred to me that I bought the game at launch and have only played through it once (I'm not one for console MP).

And during that time, I played it on a HDTV only during the fight with Radec.

... :lol

To whoever asked for tips:

-Always burst fire. You only need to land 4 hits/1 headshot (with the M82 AR) to kill any infantry other than assault.
-Don't use iron/laser sights. Crouch and hipfire for medium-long range. This will make you pr0 with aiming in general.
-Try and get to higher ground. Simple enough.
-Try and flank the other team, and avoid head on confrontations if you're still new to the game.

elohel

i really havent had any problems with lag, it seems like they resolve the issue after things happen.

i.e. if you hit someone, you think you killed em, then 2 seconds later they die lol

that's fine, because it gets resolved, so u dont think that the delays really hinder the game, i still feel like im hitting people, they don't really skip around much or anything

also ive been playing this a bit more lately too

multi is sooooo goooooood

the_prime_mover said:
lol. That isn't going to happen. Welcome to Lagzone. Lag was a major issue when the game first released and the community was in full force. However, now there are only a few servers up and they are accessed by anyone in the world so you can expect to play against people with 3-4 hundred ping in any given match.

Hopefully KZ2 was enough of a success to warrant dedicated servers and a better server summary (like Warhawk's) in KZ3.

So ... like ... is there no way to find out your lag/ping in a match? It's probably the most important piece of information. I'll play any map or gametype I have to if it means I get a good connection.

Seriously I bought a $15 PC shooter that listed pings. It can't be hard. Even if it is, it's necessary. I can live with only having a good conection to like 5% of matches out there, but I need to have the tools to find those matches.

Also I went into a pistols match. There were turrets and airbots everywhere. I think they were missing the point.

And why the fuck can two people kill each other. Is this their dumbass solution to not being able to find a good connection? Hey you may be lagging, but at least you can go around trading kills with people instead of being to find a good match.

I swear it's like all FPS developers got together and decided to stop showing lag. Like if they stop showing it, somehow that'll make P2P gaming not laggy.

denomes

Internet Celebrity said:

-Always burst fire. You only need to land 4 hits/1 headshot (with the M82 AR) to kill any infantry other than assault.
-Don't use iron/laser sights. Crouch and hipfire for medium-long range. This will make you pr0 with aiming in general.
-Try and get to higher ground. Simple enough.
-Try and flank the other team, and avoid head on confrontations if you're still new to the game.

THIS. I only ever used the sights for long distance shooting. I imagine shooting from the hip can take some getting used to for players coming from Modern Warfare, where it's pretty much useless and aiming is done down the sights almost exclusively.

dorkimoe

picking this up again to play multiplayer. I am pretty decent at range with my ar. however i never got to higher rank, so i never actually unlocked any of the good classes :(. Still havent got engineer or the cloaking ability lol. But i never hear anyone talking about it? Do people even use anything other than just default? Or is it because i was still playing in low level games?

meppi

dorkimoe said:
Do people even use anything other than just default? Or is it because i was still playing in low level games?

Probably a low level thing.

I always play as a saboteur with an HGH STA-14 rifle, but it seems like almost no one uses that weapon at all.
Most just use the stock assault rifles and if all else fails start to spam with the bazooka and grenade launcher.
My buddies almost exclusively play with the Medic though.

It sure is a bitch to come into the game late and have to work yourself up against seasoned players.
I've only started playing the game since Christmas and found it quite daunting, but the thing is, if you stick with it, the game will reward you with one of the most addictive, not to mention rewarding FPS experiences on a console.
it just takes time, a lot of time.

Melfice7

dorkimoe said:
But i never hear anyone talking about it? Do people even use anything other than just default? Or is it because i was still playing in low level games?

of course everyone uses different classes at higher rank, the game gets so much better once you have everything

meppi

Full Recovery said:
I always assumed that the room with the best ping was at the top of the list?

Is this not the case?

Nope, they are ranked depending on how many people are in that game at the time.

Still if you're getting really bad connections, it might be best to search for games in your region only.
Although I have to say that I seem to be getting better games overall when playing on US servers and I'm in Belgium.
Might just be that the more local servers are being put up by people with a very slow internet connection or something. Not sure about that.

ChryZ

meppi said:
Nope, they are ranked depending on how many people are in that game at the time.
This.

You also have to consider that single person can have/cause high latency (aka the lagger) and that will impact your experience no matter how good your ping to the host is.

There should really be some kind of server option like don't allow people to join with a ping higher than 150ms.

Melfice7

ChryZ said:
There should really be some kind of server option like don't allow people to join with a ping higher than 150ms.

just be glad you can choose to find games worldwide or just your region.. U2 just mixes everyone together :s the other day i played a match with japanese and americans only, im from europe, needless to say it was a lagfest :(

Melfice7 said:
just be glad you ....

Oh we should expect much more than being able to restrict game searches to "just" North America (or wherever). Cause all games on the same continent as you are obviously lag free.

dorkimoe

Melfice7 said:
of course everyone uses different classes at higher rank, the game gets so much better once you have everything

gives me something to work for i guess. Im excited to get the game back

Lagspike_exe said:
You'll get much more when you get 8 certain ribbons, thus earning the ammo increase medal.

You know this is the sorta shit that stops new blood from getting in on the multiplayer experience.

mr_nothin

Banned
Internet Celebrity said:
denomes said:
THIS. I only ever used the sights for long distance shooting. I imagine shooting from the hip can take some getting used to for players coming from Modern Warfare, where it's pretty much useless and aiming is done down the sights almost exclusively.

I HATE that they made iron sights pretty useless in the final game. KZ2 Beta's Gunplay > KZ2 Final's Gunplay by a long shot.

I miss those days :/
/beta tester crying

PedroLumpy said:

You know this is the sorta shit that stops new blood from getting in on the multiplayer experience.
This is the type of crying/complaints that make devs make game more casual/noob friendly. Opps, I mean "accessible"....

PedroLumpy said:

It is true that some of the gameplay decisions are rather prohibitive to new players, but you can always pick up someone elses gun (and ammo pickups are automatic) or use one of the repaired ammo crates. I am not sure why they limited ammo and grenades for new players but it was much more of a pain when Engineers didn't even have the repair ability unlocked.

I wish that ribbons were in every match though (like Warhawk, BC2 and R:FoM). I don't need an indicator on screen telling me I got it (BC2, UC2) but a nice post game summary would be nice. You get that in KZ2 for the first few games, but once you have reached your 8/8 requirements you stop receiving ribbons altogether.

Server search options are crap and it has been much discussed. Believe it or not, current search filters are actually better than what was available for a while after launch. Hopefully E3 will tease KZ3 so we can all jump into the next huge hype thread and all post our wishlists for what needs to be changed from KZ2. (Un)Fortunately, we know that GG is a developer who listens.

mr_nothin said:
This is the type of crying/complaints that make devs make game more casual/noob friendly. Opps, I mean "accessible"....

Wait what? That doesn't make any sense. Counterstrike has a level playing field when you go in. People generally think that games 'Hardcore'.

I'm already going up against people who are experienced and know the maps (which is fine of course), is it really 'crying' to hope that, you know, maybe I could have the same weapons/tactical options as them?

Not that Killzone is the worst offender or anything.

the_prime_mover said:
It is true that some of the gameplay decisions are rather prohibitive to new players, but you can always pick up someone elses gun (and ammo pickups are automatic) or use one of the repaired ammo crates. I am not sure why they limited ammo and grenades for new players but it was much more of a pain when Engineers didn't even have the repair ability unlocked.

It's just, you know.. yeah I could pick up someones gun, or hope someone repairs an ammo crate for me etc. Or they could just give everyone the same shit.

Fuck when I played my first season of dodgeball they didn't ask me to tie my shoes together or something.

TheMissingLink said:
Re-purchased this one, itching for some Killzone. It's awesome, I love it, it just needs MATCHMAKING.
I agree. Killzone 2 is one of my favorite multiplayer FPS of all-time, but lack of matchmaking killed the game (besides the "FiX TeH CoNtrOlZ!!!1111" scandal of course). For example, the map packs failed to keep the game alive because of no matchmaking. If GG expects to keep Killzone 3 alive for a long time, they better implement matchmaking and a party system.

I dunno, the server browser system would be perfectly functional if I could just see pings.

I would imagine if we had matchmaking, then we wouldn't see the mass banning of the assault class. Not to mention giving up map/gametype choice.

PedroLumpy said:
I dunno, the server browser system would be perfectly functional if I could just see pings.

I would imagine if we had matchmaking, then we wouldn't see the mass banning of the assault class. Not to mention giving up map/gametype choice.
That's not what I'm getting at. The way it's designed now, if no one creates a game,
there will be no games. And if they do, it's
usually 30 min BC on Radec.

They need to implement a system like the one BC2 has; being able to pick map and gametype while still having matchmaking with parties/squads.

As for the assault class, they just need to remove the VC9 completely and reduce the splash damage on the ISA counterpart.

ZeroRay

For the next one, they should have both matchmaking and custom game browsing with ping, game times, etc. There, perfect system for everybody.

Melfice7 said:
well KZ2 has a 4 player party system :p
You mean the "Join Friend" option which let's you join a friend's game and puts you in the same faction and squad? That was a step in the right direction, but not anywhere near a fully-fledged party system.

At one point GG was looking to implement one, but they said it was impossible due to the way KZ2 was made.

Melfice7

well that 4 player squad gets carried throughout the cycle of maps so its not that bad

i wish all devs did what warhawk did in 07 -.- still the best online setup this gen (if it had a party system it would be perfect)

Melfice7 said:
well that 4 player squad gets carried throughout the cycle of maps so its not that bad
till everyone leaves because a shitty map comes up or their team is getting beat by you guys

leaving you guys in the server to go find a new room that actually has good settings like the one youre in

ZeroRay

You're probably getting an extra point for playing the objective. You playing bodycount only games?

That is, you get extra points for a kill in bodycount, a kill by any search and destroy objective, and you get a whole bunch of points for killing the assassination target.

ZeroRay said:
You're probably getting an extra point for playing the objective. You playing bodycount only games?

That is, you get extra points for a kill in bodycount, a kill by any search and destroy objective, and you get a whole bunch of points for killing the assassination target.
Yeah, that's probably it. I think that's what I'm playing.

meppi

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Yeah, that's probably it. I think that's what I'm playing.
Just wait till you get some more ribbons, then play bodycount and get +4 for knocking someones teeth down their throat. :D

And yes, screw matchmaking.

Massa

There's nothing worse in Killzone 2 than joining a game that goes on for over two hours or where the radar is set to always show enemies.

So yeah, matchmaking in KZ3, please.

Massa said:
There's nothing worse in Killzone 2 than joining a game that goes on for over two hours or where the radar is set to always show enemies.

But you'd prefer using GG's "ideal settings" of 32 players + Assault + RPGs on Tharsis Depot, Radec Academy or Blood Gracht?
k.

Facism

matchmaking can exist alongside a server browser. What most devs completely fail at is having both in a completely logical and competent manner.

Massa said:

Why not just opt for a system where ranked matches require specific server settings? A hardcore mode with faction balancing and FF-on (and maybe a bonus of some sort - plus an auto-kick for repeat team killers) and a normal mode with Faction balancing and FF-off. You could have a pre-game lobby where you can party up with 3 other players and then a quick join feature that will find you a server with your chosen game types and enough slots for your squad to stay together.

I tend to return to Warhawk as my reference for an online set up because it did so many things well. With the inclusion of a party system I think it would be the best system. Robust filter options, a quick join system and some sort of Skill level ranking would be a good matchmaking system and then a server list for everyone else seems to be the best option for everyone concerned.

Matchmaking when done poorly means that the game dies when the community declines. Look at R:FoM; The only server lists are custom games with horrible rule sets. If I want to play a real game I have to use matchmaking that will stick me into a 3 or 4 player match even though there are probably hundreds of people available to play with. My concern is the same thing will happen with UC2.

BC2 has matchmaking that will dump you into the middle of a game, but it has no real server options to filter through and it seems to ignore skill level completely. Once that community dies down (on consoles) it will probably be near impossible to find a good game because the system will decide to dump you into the same server repeatedly (which it does now).

At least in KZ2 (and Warhawk) I can still find plenty of games at any time of day. It just sucks that the server details are so limited, ping indication is non existant and load times are so long. All GG needs to really do is increase the details on the front end so I know what I am getting into.

DoomGyver

You shouldn't be able to pick what maps you want to play when you create a ranked lobby. As it is now, 70% or so of the rooms are radec academy only. It's so boring. If someone wants to play radec academy all day long they can make an unranked room and spawn kill people all day if they like.

We don't need the 'vote for any map in the creators rotation' either.

All we need is for killzone to go right down the list from map to map so you don't play the same map every other time. Give the players the option to 'vote to skip' and show what the optional map will be without having to vote. This way you don't get into the situation where the game picked an okay map, but you'd rather not play it so you vote without knowing the next potential map. Then the new map ends up being one of the worst and people quit out. (happens all of the time in cod:mw2).

Show pings on the server list, put the best pings at the top of the list and let us filter to show only games that are less than 100ms ping (or whatever the user sets).

Also to clarify, if a map is skipped..
played
skipped
current

Pyrhuss Rise
Salamun Market
Helghan Industries

Visari Hammer
Radec Academy
Tharsis Depot
Blood Gracht
Corinth Crossing
Visari Hammer :(
Pyrhuss Rise
Salamun Market
Helghan Industries

Since Visari was skipped it would put Visari to be played after Corinth, if Visari got skipped again it would reset and be put back in its original spot after industries and before Radec. The order of the maps should also be randomized each time a lobby is created so you don't always play x map after x map.

The only problem with this 'loop' is if you skipped Pyrhuss Rise then it would be put at the end of the list and if it was skipped a second time (when it is at the end of the list) the new map chosen would be Pyruhuss rise. But it could be coded so that the first/last map is randomly picked if a map in the first/last slot had been skipped.

Massa

Giving people the power to tweak every little setting in the game just ends up with a broken game. People disable friendly fire then suddenly rocket launchers ruin the game. Then they disable the Assault class and suddenly the engineer class is overpowered. These changes just ruin the balance of the game completely.

If GG still wants to give players that option that's fine, but that should be there exclusively for advanced players. In other words, 90% of the player population should be playing with default settings tweaked by designers from GG and to do that you need matchmaking.

I started replaying this after a LONG time, and boy, it's sad to see stupid people are still stupid... We were totally dominating a Bodycount match, in fact, we dominated so much we the other team hardly got out of the base... and then, the brilliant minds on my team started to just rush inside the base getting shredded by all the turrets and spawns. We lost the lead we had in 5 minutes and ended up loosing the game... facepalm.gif

Massa said:
Giving people the power to tweak every little setting in the game just ends up with a broken game. People disable friendly fire then suddenly rocket launchers ruin the game. Then they disable the Assault class and suddenly the engineer class is overpowered. These changes just ruin the balance of the game completely.

If GG still wants to give players that option that's fine, but that should be there exclusively for advanced players. In other words, 90% of the player population should be playing with default settings tweaked by designers from GG and to do that you need matchmaking.

Or... you create your own game with said settings. Problem solved.

Massa

Metalmurphy said:
I started replaying this after a LONG time, and boy, it's sad to see stupid people are still stupid... We were totally dominating a Bodycount match, in fact, we dominated so much we the other team hardly got out of the base... and then, the brilliant minds on my team started to just rush inside the base getting shredded by all the turrets and spawns. We lost the lead we had in 5 minutes and ended up loosing the game... facepalm.gif

Or... you create your own game with said settings. Problem solved.

If only I could create 9 other human players to join my game automatically as well. :p

Top Bottom