• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
X-Frame said:
FTSG All-Medic team go!

Haha I wonder the how amazing the chaos with 8 Medi-Bots be, good lord, you would just hear vhooooor and bullet sfx going off

With the occasional crushing metal noise when the bot hits a wall or invisible wall lol

Facism

TheExecutive said:
And how long do you suppose your account will last with personal attacks? Its the respect that other members usually give each other that makes this board different than the ones mentioned above.

A little word of wisdom: ignorance can be replaced with knowledge but an asshole is just an asshole.

There's a lot of personal attacks and suppression of others opinions in this thread. He's just fitting in, unfortunately.

Anyway, wonder how long it'll take for the real patch to come out. You know, the one that puts custom games and more clan options into the game. I fear they're going to miss the boat and those FTSG custom games will never happen.

see5harp

Cagen said:
While I enjoyed the single player it did feel rushed and there was a severe lack of cohesion between levels, locals and gameplay to cutscene transitions. Guerrilla stated they aimed for more varied locations for each level and while they did achieve it and some of it, if not all looked fantastic, the traversal and transitions between them was so, so poor. The glaringly obvious one being after you down the ATAC then are all of a sudden in some vehicle, of which you don't even know what it is until you finish the section and see it in the next cutscene.

The cutscenes were so jarring too, I go from killing some Higgs, climbing over some terrain to all of a sudden being greeted with a black screen then Sev randomly falling down a hill that wasn't there two seconds ago. Also, having them prerecorded annoyed the he'll out of me, I killing higs with my trusted STA14 and then it magically transforms into the M82, you would have thought Sev was a magician, not a soldier.

I was enjoying the gameplay but not really getting into the game until the
Junkyard, fighting up the crushing machine and the MAWLR battles which were excellent
but then it took a nose dive at the end after those sections and I was back into just going through the motions.

Overall I enjoyed it, its a good game but I prefer K2 in just about every aspect. Given another 6 months, with a beta far enough away from release to actually take feedback on board, this game, both multi and single player could have been excellent.

Agree with everything you say here. The transitions from gameplay to cutscene back to gameplay in this game is extremely terrible. They could have been rushed..but that really doesn't explain how the entire game start to finish has these same glaring fade to black->teleport moments. The universe and overall story does have potential. I like the idea of Stahl taking over and then going rogue. The whole Narville/Rico thread is so damn one note the entire game though. Not sure why Jammer was introduced.

I suppose enough people have complained about MP...but I haven't heard much bitching about the dumbass Warhawk friendlist. What idiot at Guerilla thought it was a good idea to put your entire friendlist in the game? Not sure if KZ2 was like that too, but if so, shame on them.

X-Frame

GraveRobberX said:
Haha I wonder the how amazing the chaos with 8 Medi-Bots be, good lord, you would just hear vhooooor and bullet sfx going off

With the occasional crushing metal noise when the bot hits a wall or invisible wall lol
Only 3 Medi-Droids active at any one time. :(

But seriously, 1 fully-upgraded Tactician, a Marksman with Tier 2 Scramble, and then 10 Medics. Traveling in an invisible wolf pack of Medics who can spam revive from 20 meters!

GraveRobberX

X-Frame said:
Only 3 Medi-Droids active at any one time. :(

But seriously, 1 fully-upgraded Tactician, a Marksman with Tier 2 Scramble, and then 10 Medics. Traveling in an invisible wolf pack of Medics who can spam revive from 20 meters!

I know, I was just wondering, just for shits n' giggles =]

Both team = medics with their bots (8), tacticians with sentry bots (2), 2 engineers with their sentry turrets (2)

16 medi-bots, 4 sentries, 4 turrets, DAT Framerate...ooh Mortars/WASPS/Turrets/Exo's/Jetpacks allowed too, can anyone say -5FPS, go back to 56k, and wait for the screen to load in your action

CozMick

Banned
Wow, What the Fuck!

This patch practically fixed fuck all that anyone asked for, the medic cooldown and revival distance............what else?

What a fucking letdown, it's been 3 fucking weeks since release and they can't fix the map rotation or the C++ basic coding scoreboard.

Fuck you GG, lazy assed bitches.

GraveRobberX

CozMick said:
Wow, What the Fuck!

This patch practically fixed fuck all that anyone asked for, the medic cooldown and revival distance............what else?

What a fucking letdown, it's been 3 fucking weeks since release and they can't fix the map rotation or the C++ basic coding scoreboard.

I'm more worried what this patch fucked up LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, wouldn't be shocked this patch created other issues

Thrakier

GraveRobberX said:
I'm more worried what this patch fucked up LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, wouldn't be shocked this patch created other issues

Sorry, but what are you doing in this thread? It's so fucking annoying, unbelievable.

10dollas

Banned
smik said:
whats the counter for infiltrators?

its such a broken abilty and doesn't do the game any good

Put holes in anything acting suspicious, without hesitation--> ie:
-anybody thats approaching from the enemies spawn
-anything that runs at breakneck velocity (only infiltrators can run faster)
-infiltrators can only disguise themselves as medics, engineers, and tacticians; pay no attention to marksmen or friendly looking infiltrators
-if a friendly is making a beeline directly towards you or another friendly, chances are it has unfriendly intentions
-put your cursor over friendlies. if it turns red, it needs to be dead
-if a friendly is in front of you, and he doesn't have a green dot on the minimap, undeniably an infiltrator
-The tactician's Spot and mark picks up infiltrators with ease

GraveRobberX

Thrakier said:
Sorry, but what are you doing in this thread? It's so fucking annoying, unbelievable.

Umm...posting

Just cause I'm not a KZ3 support cheerleader doesn't mean I can post in this thread anymore

I play the MP here and there, hoping to see it get better, so please stop trying to be a thread mod

There's an Ignore button, this forum offers you that

Also I'm helping others out who are enjoying the game, get benefits through different means
slurpee.com points for example

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Have to say as far as single player games now that I have move and the sharpshooter PS3 is my new FPS platform, jut so much more fun playing with the sharpshooter Vs a controller.

I just finished the single player portion. One of the most generic, unmemorable, monotonous games I have played in a while. Please tell me that the multi-player is great.

GraveRobberX

smik said:

its such a broken ability and doesn't do the game any good

Seriously it is Marksman and the Cloaking ability or Tactician and Spot & Mark ability

Rule of thumb, if you see friendly running @ you, even though your team is going towards enemy, is a clue, + doesn't hurt to ADS and burst a couple of bullets here and there

It is only when there are bottlenecks/clusterfucks it gets daunting

Zen

Banned
Infiltratiors are rarely a problem anymore in terms of the disguise, it's their ability to sprint constantly with Brutal Melee that makes them deadly.

CozMick said:
Wow, What the Fuck!

Dude... everything in those fixes have been things people have brought up; just read the patchnotes.

Looking forward to playing tonight, although the medic revive ability being tied to a button (and no an equip based thing) will make it harder to revive a specific target from a distance, but with a 10 second cooldown it doesn't matter.

OSHAN

I was reading the FAQs and according to GG if you have the Retro pack the map will appear 50% of the time.

So, yeah, even if it is working as intended, their intention sucks.

smik said:

Spot n mark, saved my skin in so many occasions, and I'm sure left that dead Infil wondering "how did he know?".

Infiltrators also don't show up on your radar as friendly, so if you suspect someone, just see his corresponding green dot on your radar. No green dot = shoot

Massa

OSHAN said:
I was reading the FAQs and according to GG if you have the Retro pack the map will appear 50% of the time.

So, yeah, even if it is working as intended, their intention sucks.

It's not the intended behaviour. A permanent fix is coming with the next patch.

GraveRobberX said:
I know, I was just wondering, just for shits n' giggles =]

Both team = medics with their bots (8), tacticians with sentry bots (2), 2 engineers with their sentry turrets (2)

16 medi-bots, 4 sentries, 4 turrets, DAT Framerate...ooh Mortars/WASPS/Turrets/Exo's/Jetpacks allowed too, can anyone say -5FPS, go back to 56k, and wait for the screen to load in your action

Each team can only have 4 turrets, 3 medi droids and 2 sentry bots.

GraveRobberX

pixelbox said:
INFRTORs cant be spotted by bots when the ablity is in use right?

If their Disguise is level 1, bots spot

Disguise level 2 Disguise+ = In addition to being disguised, Infiltrators are undetectable by Engineer Turrets, Sentry Drones and Medi-Droids

Disguise level 3, Disguise++ = Perform melee attacks without breaking disguise. Stacks with previous abilities.
(Game breaker, that is why you see so many brutal kills or INFI come running right at you)

Massa said:
Each team can only have 4 turrets, 3 medi droids and 2 sentry bots.

It's a hypothetical funny observation, key words I wonder, shit n' giggles

I'm just saying what if that was allowed, how crazy those game would be, BotZone 3

OSHAN

Massa said:
It's not the intended behaviour. A permanent fix is coming with the next patch.

I am going by their FAQs:

Q: I'm playing the same DLC level over and over again

A: We're working on fixing this behavior. However when you have a map pack installed 50% of the games you play should be in the non DLC levels, so if you end up in a DLC map and you want to be playing the normal levels then just back out and find another game. Also you can select another map as your preference.

That may be fine if I have several maps I downloaded in the mix, but right now, I don't. I have one.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just got my game and I'm planning on using Move controller + navigation for it.

What's the best "calibration" for it, don't wanna fuck around with it and get all confused.

Hopefully this isn't a disasterpiece like Dead Space 2.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
smik said:

Play as infiltrators and let me know how many dozens of kills you collect per death. It's not a license to kill as some might think.

GraveRobberX said:

Disguise level 2 Disguise+ = In addition to being disguised, Infiltrators are undetectable by Engineer Turrets, Sentry Drones and Medi-Droids

Disguise level 3, Disguise++ = Perform melee attacks without breaking disguise. Stacks with previous abilities.
(Game breaker, that is why you see so many brutal kills or INFI come running right at you)

I'm just saying what if that was allowed, how crazy those game would be, BotZone 3

if i see a teammate running at me, first instinct is to melee. Ive killed so many infiltrators doing this.

GraveRobberX

Has anybody else gotten the weird looking straight up glitch

If someone starts the animation of brutal meleeing you, if you can kill them fast enough, you get released, get backed off, but your view shoots straight up into the ceiling

Anyone else get hit with that effect?

Sometimes happens when your teammates save you from the animation going full, it does it
(Also that color of the games > black & white wash (about being killed by brutal melee) > then back to color (not fading back, but instantly) during this process jars my eyesight)

V-Gief

GraveRobberX said:
Has anybody else gotten the weird looking straight up glitch

If someone starts the animation of brutal meleeing you, if you can kill them fast enough, you get released, get backed off, but your view shoots straight up into the ceiling

Anyone else get hit with that effect?

Sometimes happens when your teammates save you from the animation going full, it does it
(Also that color of the games > black & white wash (about being killed by brutal melee) > then back to color (not fading back, but instantly) during this process jars my eyesight)
Happened to me a fair number of times. First reaction is "Goddamnit!" to being meleed followed by "Woohoo!" haha.

Glad that the patch is out today, but sucks that the map rotation glitch is still not fixed. You would have thought something so simple would have been put into this patch. I guess we have to wait another week or so for a patch for that to come out.

Verendus

Banned
Questions:

Has the Killzone 3 story improved?

Does it make an effort to actually provide likeable characters, a story that takes advantage of the interesting history of the universe it inhabits, and provide a better campaign experience than Killzone 2?

Is there any conflict for the characters, in terms of motivation, ideals and aims? Or is it still very run of the mill?

.GqueB.

Banned
Thrakier said:

GraveRobberX said:
The reason I'm still staying in this thread is to keep showing others, that this game isn't all the hot shit it was supposed to be.

So basically hes here to bitch and tell other people why they shouldnt be enjoying the game... and give people slurpee points or sommink. Apparently he has nothing else better to do with his time.

Massa

OSHAN said:
I am going by their FAQs:

That may be fine if I have several maps I downloaded in the mix, but right now, I don't. I have one.

That's what it says in the FAQ. The current behaviour, getting the DLC map 50% of the time, is not intendend. This will be fixed in the next patch.

I'm assuming the next map pack will come with the next patch, and they'll make it clearer what type of playlist you can choose in map selection (dlc + normal, only dlc, only normal, or a single map). I've asked them about this and they said they'll give details once the next patch is closer to launch.

.GqueB.

Banned
Kam said:
Questions:

Does it make an effort to actually provide likeable characters, a story that takes advantage of the interesting history of the universe it inhabits, and provide a better campaign experience than Killzone 2?

Is there any conflict for the characters, in terms of motivation, ideals and aims? Or is it still very run of the mill?
How often do shooters have stories like this? How many people that typically play shooters even care about a robust, deep story? Why spend time and effort on story in this genre when doing such a thing doesnt typically lead to sales or general acclaim. And furthermore, why bother when other games in the genre enjoy both while typically having horrible stories?

see5harp

Kam said:
Questions:

No to most of those questions. It's worse in terms of likeable or memorable characters. Campaign is actually more varied but none of the variety is actually fun aside from the single level in which you get a jetpack. Universe and art direction is exceptionally high in my opinion but unfortunately they don't do much with it.

GraveRobberX

.GqueB. said:
So basically hes here to bitch and tell other people why they shouldnt be enjoying the game... and give people slurpee points or sommink. Apparently he has nothing else better to do with his time.

Same with you buddy, why do you care @ what I say, you and Thrakier need to go relax and stop pulling me in and try to make me sound like the big bad troll, who is hindering you from enjoying the game. I'm not trolling, or just shitting up the thread, why don't you use the ignore button and that's it

I got time to kill between the loading times of the MP, have my laptop on me, chatting with friends through AIM and on GAF, multi-tasking

Hey at least I'm contributing to the discussion, answering people's question, giving them new avenues to benefit them by enhancing their MP experience by getting free stuff , your just posting with Thrakier to push me out of the thread for no apparent reason

patsu

GraveRobberX said:

Disguise level 3 is not game breaking at all. I think it makes Infiltrator more fun by encouraging them to take risk. But people learned how to deal with them pretty quickly. Their best ability is sprint, best for Special and Retrieve missions. Also best for avoiding sniper fire.

That's more like a random idea that doesn't exist.

EDIT:
TrAcEr_x90 said:
if i see a teammate running at me, first instinct is to melee. Ive killed so many infiltrators doing this.

Yap... except that one time, I ended up melee'ing an invisible Marksman who happened to walk past me at the "wrong" time. I saw my view swing wildly and thought what has possessed my character. Then I saw the still cloaked Marksman getting choked and slit. Pretty interesting experience. ;-)

patsu said:
Disguise level 3 is not game breaking at all. I think it makes Infiltrator more fun by encouraging them to take risk. But people learned how to deal with them pretty quickly. Their best ability is sprint, best for Special and Retrieve missions. Also best for avoiding sniper fire.

That's more like a random idea that doesn't exist.

Disguised level 3 is overpowered for the player base we're dealing with, a player base terminally inflicted with tunnel vision and teammate baiting, people are either too fucking blind and let an infiltrator walk right in front of them to kill their teammates or actually just wait until the infiltrator does the melee then proceed to kill the infiltrator with their own brutal melee.

.GqueB.

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
Same with you buddy, why do you care @ what I say, you and Thrakier need to go relax and stop pulling me in and try to make me sound like the big bad troll, who is hindering you from enjoying the game. I'm not trolling, or just shitting up the thread, why don't you use the ignore button and that's it

I got time to kill between the loading times of the MP, have my laptop on me, chatting with friends through AIM and on GAF, multi-tasking

Hey at least I'm contributing to the discussion, answering people's question, giving them new avenues to benefit them by enhancing their MP experience by getting free stuff , your just posting with Thrakier to push me out of the thread for no apparent reason
I dont care what you say. I stopped caring when you said you were here exclusively to cry, bitch and moan. I was just answering the guys question.

Dude Abides

Banned
Yoshichan said:
I just got my game and I'm planning on using Move controller + navigation for it.

What's the best "calibration" for it, don't wanna fuck around with it and get all confused.

Hopefully this isn't a disasterpiece like Dead Space 2.

I set dead zones at 0,0, sensitivity at 10%, and turn speed at 50% but there is no "best" -- preferences vary from person to person.

Verendus

Banned
.GqueB. said:
How often do shooters have stories like this? How many people that typically play shooters even care about a robust, deep story? Why spend time and effort on story in this genre when doing such a thing doesnt typically lead to sales or general acclaim. And furthermore, why bother when other games in the genre enjoy both while typically having horrible stories?
Killzone has a universe that could benefit from a great story mixed in. It doesn't take much time and effort to create something good for Killzone. The universe and backstory, two very important things in developing a worthwhile story, are already there and have a great deal of potential waiting to be taken advantage of.

Other shooters not having good stories doesn't mean Killzone shouldn't. Other shooters don't exactly have a rich universe that lend themselves to worthwhile stories. I look at Call of Duty or Battlefield and see nothing meaningful to create in that department. I see a lot of potential for Killzone however. While other games are enjoying success both commercially and critically with horrible stories, Killzone isn't really very successful in either department compared to what was expected of the franchise.

It stands to reason that a developer should try to do something a little different to stand out, or take real advantage of what they have. It's part of recognising the potential of the project you have. I feel Killzone has a lot of potential in its universe that is being squandered. I do think it would help them to focus on that. A good story can help to grow strong attachment.

Although, as it stands, we're already two entires too late to suddenly change things up. But I hope for the next entry, they revamp and forget Sev and the rest of the cast. It could still be salvaged.
see5harp said:
No to most of those questions. It's worse in terms of likeable or memorable characters. Campaign is actually more varied but none of the variety is actually fun aside from the single level in which you get a jetpack. Universe and art direction is exceptionally high in my opinion but unfortunately they don't do much with it.
I was expecting as much. Disappointed to hear, but not surprised. I'm still going to pick it up though because I love the art direction of this game, and I love the universe it's in. I also want to see how the ninja Helghast soldiers are handled. I wonder if you can pick them off in the air while they're leaping at you or something; could make for some awesome moments.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I enjoyed KZ3's story and though the voice acting and facial expressions were particularly well done. As for MP, I tend to focus on doing my job and trying to help in any way I can. Thus far, playing with pubbies, I have managed to enjoy myself quite a bit.

Halcyon

MalboroRed said:
Disguised level 3 is overpowered for the player base we're dealing with, a player base terminally inflicted with tunnel vision and teammate baiting, people are either too fucking blind and let an infiltrator walk right in front of them to kill their teammates or actually just wait until the infiltrator does the melee then proceed to kill the infiltrator with their own brutal melee.
I play GW alot and the infiltrators dont really bother me. Ill get killed a fair amount by them from behind or if im not paying attention, but I get them alot too just because I now put my move cursor on everyone I see.

I actually like that they mostly go for melee kills because its fun trying to kill them during their kill-motion on other players, thus saving them. Feels good man.

Massa said:
I disagree.
The main goal in Killzone 2 was to capture Visari, you get a conclusion to that and a teaser for the next game. Then the main goal in Killzone 3 is to get out of Helghan, again you get a conclusion to that story and a teaser for the next chapter.

You disagree with what? Was the way the ending was presented, mechanically, not annoying and abrupt?

The problem wasn't the way the story ended. The problem was the way this ending was presented. It wasn't dramatic. It wasn't tonally proper. KZ2's ending was tonally proper.

Vandiger

HalcyonTB12 said:
I play GW alot and the infiltrators dont really bother me. Ill get killed a fair amount by them from behind or if im not paying attention, but I get them alot too just because I now put my move cursor on everyone I see.

I actually like that they mostly go for melee kills because its fun trying to kill them during their kill-motion on other players, thus saving them. Feels good man.

Yeah, inflitrators are easy to deal, playing warzone alot makes it easier to spot them or at least be wary enough to have a tact nearby, they become troublesome once they unlock missiles and assault rifle.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I just hope that for the next Killzone, they wait it out, really work for the next generation. I didn't like it as much as Killzone 2.

Kam said:
Questions:

It makes an effort, but fails. It's the stereotypical macho space marine video game story, all muscle and no brain. Characters swear for the sake of looking tough and serious, goals and motivations are very loose, and transitions from story to levels are often lacking. They took what was worse about KZ2 (Rico) and put more of it in KZ3. Personally, I couldn't care enough to take it seriously in any way.

Now, although some of the new vehicle mechanics aren't working very well (you'll die a lot, not knowing why), the second half of the game has some great FPS levels and a worthy battle with a Metal Gear.

Top Bottom