• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Massa

RedRedSuit said:
You disagree with what? Was the way the ending was presented, mechanically, not annoying and abrupt?

The problem wasn't the way the story ended. The problem was the way this ending was presented. It wasn't dramatic. It wasn't tonally proper. KZ2's ending was tonally proper.

Right, I can agree with that. I thought the story itself was better than what they presented, as usual with Killzone games.

Dizzy

Banned
commish said:
Play as infiltrators and let me know how many dozens of kills you collect per death. It's not a license to kill as some might think.
Truth. I play as one and I've had enough people spot me before I've even shot at them or in some cases even aimed at them. If it's quiet I think everyone has picked up by now that its best to aim your crosshair over a player to make sure you know whos side they're on. Most of the time you can just tell. They'll either be coming towards you or looking at you.

I don't even get that many disguise kills to be honest. I'll use it and it might be me a few seconds vs the first guy, but then I'll take out a good number of people with the assualt rifle while waiting for it to recharge. I rarely bother with brutal kills unless I'm right next to someone, because if you have to sprint a few meters towards them it will give your identity away.

There is no better feeling in this game than shredding through 4-5 people while hip firing with the Medic LMG down a hallway. Straight up mowin' em DOWN. So satisfying.

I cannot stand all of the cowards this game has. This wasn't a problem in Killzone 2, at least in the later months, but it is RAMPANT here.

Cowardsly coduals who bought this game and all they do is sit in the base during operations and do absolutely nothing. I just played an operations match where my teammates yelled at me for returning the speaker because they couldn't camp its location from the base anymore and wanted to shoot more higs. I literally had to do EVERYTHING myself in this operations match. Captured both locations and the spawn to start, planted one of the explosives, seven minutes left for the third round and my team stops leaving the base. The ones that did leave walked to the edge and tried to camp there, blocking my way out. And I was the ONLY person trying to leave.

All of you people caring about your KDR in this game, listen:

YOU ARE COWARDS, YOU SUCK AT THIS GAME, SELL IT AND THEN KILL YOURSELF

I have not run into a SINGLE person in this game with a KDR above 1.3 that wasn't pathetically inept at all core skills of this game.

This patch has made the game so much better. I actually played a handful of rounds of Warzone today with no connection errors. :D Then, I switched to the Medic and had a blast killing and healing. It's so cool to see everyone trying to revive downed teammates around you too. So, so far no connection errors, and the Medic is my favorite class now (used to be Tactician). There's still some things to fix, but at least it's fun now.

patsu

MalboroRed said:
Disguised level 3 is overpowered for the player base we're dealing with, a player base terminally inflicted with tunnel vision and teammate baiting, people are either too fucking blind and let an infiltrator walk right in front of them to kill their teammates or actually just wait until the infiltrator does the melee then proceed to kill the infiltrator with their own brutal melee.

If they can get that far, I don't mind rewarding them. It's non-trivial for an Infiltrator to make it alive all the way to the enemies' base.

X-Frame

lastinline said:
This patch has made the game so much better. I actually played a handful of rounds of Warzone today with no connection errors. :D Then, I switched to the Medic and had a blast killing and healing. It's so cool to see everyone trying to revive downed teammates around you too. So, so far no connection errors, and the Medic is my favorite class now (used to be Tactician). There's still some things to fix, but at least it's fun now.

Has the revive system been changed for mortally wounded players? Like being able to shift the camera or at least have Medic icons on the screen when there's some nearby?

X-Frame said:
Has the revive system been changed for mortally wounded players? Like being able to shift the camera or at least have Medic icons on the screen when there's some nearby?

No, but medics can revive you from so far away now its not hard to get to people.

-viper-

Banned
Here are 4 things I can't stand with this game:
- Game changing perks which overpower every class in a certain way. No one needs wallhack, truly invisible players etc. Killzone 2 implementation of the abilities was perfect. They were subtle and didn't have a groundbreaking impact in terms of the ability to kill. In this game, they do.
- TERRIBLE maps
- Stupidly high player count
- Fucking mechs and power weapons.

The best thing about KZ2 was that at it's core, it was a very basic, yet solid shooter, with AWESOME map design. There is probably only 1 or 2 maps which I dislike in KZ2. In Killzone 3, there is probably only 1 or 2 maps that I actually like.

The vehicles have fucked up Warzone IMO. Stupid VC9 whoring kids are also annoying.

X-Frame said:
Unfortunately, no. That should be in this game, but it's not. I did notice more people waiting for people to revive them, though. So, it's better than it was, but not the ultimate revive system.

Meijimasha said:
I cannot stand all of the cowards this game has. This wasn't a problem in Killzone 2, at least in the later months, but it is RAMPANT here.

Cowardsly coduals who bought this game and all they do is sit in the base during operations and do absolutely nothing. I just played an operations match where my teammates yelled at me for returning the speaker because they couldn't camp its location from the base anymore and wanted to shoot more higs. I literally had to do EVERYTHING myself in this operations match. Captured both locations and the spawn to start, planted one of the explosives, seven minutes left for the third round and my team stops leaving the base. The ones that did leave walked to the edge and tried to camp there, blocking my way out. And I was the ONLY person trying to leave.

All of you people caring about your KDR in this game, listen:

YOU ARE COWARDS, YOU SUCK AT THIS GAME, SELL IT AND THEN KILL YOURSELF

I have not run into a SINGLE person in this game with a KDR above 1.3 that wasn't pathetically inept at all core skills of this game.

I've noticed that its worst on Snowdrift. I've never had the misfortune of playing with an entire bunch of pillocks though. There is always at least 3-4 of us who go for it.

My K/D ratio is above 1.5 I think, but thats mainly because I'm rather effective at placing turrets. Operations is easy if you are on the Higs team. The ISA have to come to you and get increasingly desperate as time goes on. Mistakes are made.

MAWLR graveyard is easy as a hig. As an engineer I spawn in the right base, fix the ammo crate, peg it down the tunnel to the left base, fix the ammo crate. I use C4 on the door then leg it down to the first ISA capture point. I fix the ammo crate there, where most of the Higs then stock up on C4 and we lob it all around the base. I leg it outside and put my turret in a prime place. Then leg it to the other base again to do some murdering.

Thats definitely the hardest one to play as ISA on.

There are always KDR focused cowards in any objective based mode, it's cotdamn annoying. I CONSTANTLY find myself having to push through a mess of players that seem perfectly fine having Team Deathmatch in the middle of a Warzone objective.

Net_Wrecker said:
There are always KDR focused cowards in any objective based mode, it's cotdamn annoying. I CONSTANTLY find myself having to push through a mess of players that seem perfectly fine having Team Deathmatch in the middle of a Warzone objective.

Whats annoying is that they are too cowardly to actually play GW because they know they'll die and their KDR will get messed up. Camping in an objective based game is like shooting fish in a barrel, especially in modes or rounds where there is a short time limit.

I really think that it would be nicer if GG developed a system whereby you do not gain kill points or the +1 of a kill unless you are within the radius of an objective. I think it would also be better if they reduced the points awarded for a kill or doubled the points for completing an objective over what we have at the moment.

Even better (for a different game maybe, but its something I've thought about) would be a Battle Royale system whereby if you stand still for two long or do not get to a zone in time, a collar on your neck explodes, killing you. That would keep things dynamic.

For KZ4, I'd also like a seperate MP game mode with the cover system fully intact. Maybe a horde mode variant.

Massa

While I do see a lot of people that don't go for the objectives, the main thing is that the dynamic of Killzone 3 is very different than Killzone 2.

For example, in Assassination in Killzone 2 a tactician would boost and place spawn nades very close to the enemie's team base so the team could spawn there until the target was killed by sheer brute force. In order to successfully defend you then had to fall back to your base and stand near the target.

In Killzone 3 to defend you actually have to push the enemy back to their base, you don't just sit around near the Assassination target. I was playing in a match yesterday where I was the target and my entire team came to defend me, and they succeeded. But then the team lost so much ground that the follow-up objectives were too easy for them to take.

And that goes for almost every mode. While Killzone 2 is a 7-in-1 game where the concentration of the two teams within the map changes for each objective, Killzone 3 is much more of a game where two teams battle for control of the battlefield and the one that has better control of it has a much higher chance of doing the objectives. I quite like the change.

Zen

Banned
-viper- said:
- Game changing perks which overpower every class in a certain way. No one needs wallhack, truly invisible players etc. Killzone 2 implementation of the abilities was perfect. They were subtle and didn't have a groundbreaking impact in terms of the ability to kill. In this game, they do.

Semi agree, but it's more like all classes are becoming beastly powerful than any class is overpowered, but man Killzone 2 did not have perfect class balance at all, and wallhack is no longer in Killzone 3.

- TERRIBLE maps

A mixed bag imo.

Lower player counts than Killzone 2, would you prefer 4v4 or 5v5?

Rocket spam doesn't exist anymore, power weapons are far weaker than they were in Killzone 2, even the shotgun -relative to the other weapons-.

Thrakier

-viper- said:
- TERRIBLE maps

The best thing about KZ2 was that at it's core, it was a very basic, yet solid shooter, with AWESOME map design. There is probably only 1 or 2 maps which I dislike in KZ2. In Killzone 3, there is probably only 1 or 2 maps that I actually like.

The vehicles have fucked up Warzone IMO. Stupid VC9 whoring kids are also annoying.

Uhm, yeah. Sure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePTkfsfeHx8

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Man the lag is horrendous, is there really no one playing in Australia at th moment? because I'm certainly not playing against people with reasonable ping.

.GqueB.

Banned
Jakeh111 said:
I really suck at just killing people, but it seems like when someone sees me im insta gibbed lol. Whats the deal?
You suck at this game like me. Luckily this game is designed for people like us. Im more of a support type so Im always playing medic and tact. With the tact I cant be sneaky and capture spawn points (Ive literally captured points by just not killing enemies and letting them run past me).

Just play with a style youre most comfortable with.

.GqueB. said:
(Ive literally captured points by just not killing enemies and letting them run past me).

9/10 times thats actually the best possible strategy for capping a spawn. Get into it in the edge, opposite direction of the objective, and wait. Let anybody that spawns there while capping it run away, and not shooting people who run past.

Its amazing how unobservant people in this game are of whats around them. I'm guilty of this too, plaing tact so much has me constantly checking my radar, way more than any other game I've ever played.

Also, do people get yet that you need to be CLOSE to teammates for them to help you?

Medics can only speed up regen if you're within 15 meters
Tacts can only turn on your radar if you're within 15 meters
Scouts can only keep you off radar if they're within 15 meters
Saboteurs can only be spotted at their highest level if they're within 15 meters
Engineers are shut ins and don't like it when you ask about their personal lives.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, I'm really enjoying this game (didn't like KZ2 that much). Playing it with the Move + Navigation controller...

What is THIS now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0241954312/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Have any of you heard of this before today? I just heard about it minutes ago, brb buying book.

Edit:

No reviews, but I found one description of this book on a website with a much higher post quality than this one, gamefaqs:

It explains the whole backstory of the UCN/ISA although not in great detail as its told from the perspective of a young Sev learning it at school and hes not a good student lol. It also tells the backstory of many of the main characters; no mention of Natko's disappearence though. It focuses on KZ3 once the backstory is done and it explains Sev's like/dislike of rico and narville why he is fighting in the first place. It goes into character flaws like Narville overthinking many orders, Sev trying to follow orders knowing he will regret it later, and Rico reaping the consequences of his thoughtless actions.

That informative post convinced me to buy the book, I've always been fascinated by the backstory of the Killzone universe and the politics and military strategy behind it, and this book appears to focus totally on that. I am looking forward to reading it.

Jakeh111

.GqueB. said:
You suck at this game like me. Luckily this game is designed for people like us. Im more of a support type so Im always playing medic and tact. With the tact I cant be sneaky and capture spawn points (Ive literally captured points by just not killing enemies and letting them run past me).

Just play with a style youre most comfortable with.

Yeah I do alot of support, but like In CoD I do great in, I find the flow of the KZ maps to be abit strange but maybe I just havent had time to truly learn them

Jakeh111 said:
Yeah I do alot of support, but like In CoD I do great in, I find the flow of the KZ maps to be abit strange but maybe I just havent had time to truly learn them

Thats why you're not doing well. Every single habit you develop in the CoD series is a bad habit that should be avoided in Killzone.

EVERYTHING.

Jakeh111

Meijimasha said:
Thats why you're not doing well. Every single habit you develop in the CoD series is a bad habit that should be avoided in Killzone.

EVERYTHING.
Well I aim at the head in CoD get a headshot or takes 2 shots, In KZ3 im laying a whole clip into them to get that effect

Vandiger

Jakeh111 said:

Meh, just learn the maps. I played alot of botzone, just learning spawn points, objectives, ammo boxes, sniping areas, getting the feel of the controls. I played several hours of deathmatch to adjust to playing against real opponents. I started off Medic but I should have played as Tacticians since they get better weapons along with capture rate and then on to Inflitrators since they have sprint and arm/disarm ability is fast. Using these two classes can net you alot of points just getting objectives done. Now that the patch is live, medics are more useful.

nib95

Banned
Warzone is fudged up in KZ3 but Guerilla Warfare is overall brilliant. Perhaps a bit hectic and congested at times, and one map that is imo a imbalanced (Snowdrift), but on the whole, it is very well done and the maps are actually really well designed. It's like GW was the main multiplayer component and Warzone just tacked on. The frame rate in some of the Warzone maps is just shocking. ESPECIALLY Salaman market which borders on a joke at times.

Jakeh111 said:
Well I aim at the head in CoD get a headshot or takes 2 shots, In KZ3 im laying a whole clip into them to get that effect

Could always be lag, but if you get a good shot at an enemies head, a single bullet will do the trick. Contrary to what some say (whoever see's whoever first wins), KZ3 does actually require aiming skill. Stick to bursts only, holding the trigger longer than a second will result in extra spread and wasted bullets. Also, aim for the chest, and the recoil will generally take you up to the head. Hip fire in bursts at short to mid range, ADS anything further. If you anticipate enemies around a certain corner or corridor, just line up up around head/neck length so they essentially walk straight in to a head shot if you're quick and precise enough.

Tom Penny

I had to literally quit playing. The frame rate and hit detection was unacceptable. I don't know if it was just a fluke with a shitty connection but moving like your in mud shooting someone in the back for multiple seconds and not killing them kind of takes the fun out of it.

belvedere

Junior Butler
On a rainy, dreary weekend, I basically did nothing but play KZ3 last weekend. And after having some serious time with it, and realizing this is not KZ2, I had a blast.

There are some epic moments that no other game that comes to memory can rival.

I feel sorry for the pathetic crybabies who will never give the game a chance. No doubt they are the same whining bitches who ruined KZ2's MP.

Vandiger

Yeah, I was having great fun on KZ3. Just that after awhile the maps aren't as good as the ones I was playing in KZ2. I miss 32-player warzone sometimes a lag fest, some maps way to small, but I loved the chaotic situation you can experience if you opted for large matches.

-viper- said:
- TERRIBLE maps

I agree completely. I tried playing tonight after the update and the magic is still not there.

The fact that I cant play 8 v 8 with no rockets, drones, etc. really kills this game for me.

BlueScrote said:
Does this mean the retro map bug wasn't fixed? Or has that been fixed in an earlier patch?

Yeah, I mean they didnt fix any balancing issues other than the stupid shit they changed with the medic from KZ2 in the first place. This game is starting to rub me the wrong way. I am a patient person but I am about done.

Yeah map loop is still there. I think I'm just going to delete KZ3 install and play with normal maps until they fix this with savior patch.

Massa

RedRedSuit said:
That's stunning.

By the time that bug was caught patch 1.04 was already in testing. Considering the myriad of network errors the new patch fixes it was a smart decision to not hold it up for a bug that can be quite easily worked around.

belvedere said:
On a rainy, dreary weekend, I basically did nothing but play KZ3 last weekend. And after having some serious time with it, and realizing this is not KZ2, I had a blast.

There are some epic moments that no other game that comes to memory can rival.

I feel sorry for the pathetic crybabies who will never give the game a chance. No doubt they are the same whining bitches who ruined KZ2's MP.

I completely agree. The hardest part of this game for me was learning that it WAS NOT KZ2 and I had to accept that.

What I think the fundamental differences between the games are in philosophy.

The Killzone 2 Battle Philosophy:

-Fast, indepedent play
-Smart spawns make or break a game lighting fast
-organic teamwork that doesn't require much more than a common goal
-balanced map design and each round is a new chance for a win

Killzone 3 Battle philosophy:

-Never fight alone, work in small groups
-Control the map, control the game
-Create an active battle line, push the enemy back
-Ultimate offense becomes insurmountable defense
-Territory loss means round loss

A lot of high level Killzone 2 games ended up playing like the KZ3 battle philosophy, so I don't think its a mistake that they've made those the focus of Killzone 3 multiplayer and chosen those aspects to enhance.

Looking at it that way, KZ3 is more of an evolution than I originally thought, and I appreciate it more.

-viper-

Banned
Broadbandito said:
I agree completely. I tried playing tonight after the update and the magic is still not there.

The fact that I cant play 8 v 8 with no rockets, drones, etc. really kills this game for me.
16p should the maximum player count for KZ3 and is probably the perfect player count. Anything higher and the game is a total mess.

Rocket launcher needs to be banned as well as vehicles. Never going to happen though.

I am enjoying Guerilla Warfare though, but that's probably because of the lack of mechs and overpowered weapons, and the lack of campers.

Facism

nib95 said:
Warzone is fudged up in KZ3 but Guerilla Warfare is overall brilliant. Perhaps a bit hectic and congested at times, and one map that is imo a imbalanced (Snowdrift), but on the whole, it is very well done and the maps are actually really well designed. It's like GW was the main multiplayer component and Warzone just tacked on. The frame rate in some of the Warzone maps is just shocking. ESPECIALLY Salaman market which borders on a joke at times.

That's the problem. Warzone is the multiplayer mode and GG seems to have placed one of it's gametypes, Bodycount, above the rest of it.

The maps are designed for TDM with objectives thrown in. This is why Salamun, despite looking like someone shit all over a bruise and running sub 20fps all the time, is still the best Warzone map in KZ3.

-viper-

Banned
Facism said:
That's the problem. Warzone is the multiplayer mode and GG seems to have placed one of it's gametypes, Bodycount, above the rest of it.

The maps are designed for TDM with objectives thrown in. This is why Salamun, despite looking like someone shit all over a bruise and running sub 20fps all the time, is still the best Warzone map in KZ3.
Snowdrift and Pyhruss crater are two of the worst maps I have had the pleasure of playing.

-viper- said:
Snowdrift and Pyhruss crater are two of the worst maps I have had the pleasure of playing.

Don't forget Turbine, brah: horrible to look at and horrible to play/traverse. Jet packs should be completely banished from MP, in my opinion. My heart sinks whenever I see votes racking up for this sad excuse for a Warzone map.

Salamun is definitely the best Warzone map (says quite a lot, doesn't it); I also very much enjoy Bilgarsk, which I would definitely put forth as the best map of the new bunch.

Facism

Bilgarsk is a decent map. It's just so fucking busy with the geometry that it kind of feels a chore to play on.

I fucking LOVE Pyrrhus Crater. Most of these maps I originally thought were bad, but the more I play them and the more used to them I get, the more tricks and shortcuts I learn to make the game more fun.

I love Pyyrhus because the angles play gives a new dimension to combat. The single TSA in the center is strategically really important, but the tunnel system that makes it easy to traverse the level ensures that just because you don't have the center TSA doesn't mean you're definitely going to lose.

Turbine sucks, though. The problem with it is that there aren't enough TSAs and the team that has the North TSA always wins because it overlooks every single objective gametype.

The rest of the maps I've found I either like a little bit (Akmir) and like a ton (Bilgarsk).

The only map that doesn't fall in with this is MAWLR. Kickass map in Operations mode, but in Warzone they close off the third floor on each side for no reason and make the map really congested and force you to go through these bloody murder room chokepoints.

Top Bottom