• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

-viper-

Banned
mickcenary said:
Don't forget Turbine, brah: horrible to look at and horrible to play/traverse. Jet packs should be completely banished from MP, in my opinion. My heart sinks whenever I see votes racking up for this sad excuse for a Warzone map.

Salamun is definitely the best Warzone map (says quite a lot, doesn't it); I also very much enjoy Bilgarsk, which I would definitely put forth as the best map of the new bunch.
Turbine... yeah, that too is absolutely awful.

I was referring to Guerilla Warfare though. All the Warzone maps are awful except Saluman, because it seems to be designed with OBJECTIVES in mind. The others are huge maps with a lot of shit just for the sake of it.

Facism

Meijimasha said:
I fucking LOVE Pyrrhus Crater. Most of these maps I originally thought were bad, but the more I play them and the more used to them I get, the more tricks and shortcuts I learn to make the game more fun.

I love Pyyrhus because the angles play gives a new dimension to combat. The single TSA in the center is strategically really important, but the tunnel system that makes it easy to traverse the level ensures that just because you don't have the center TSA doesn't mean you're definitely going to lose.

Turbine sucks, though. The problem with it is that there aren't enough TSAs and the team that has the North TSA always wins because it overlooks every single objective gametype.

The rest of the maps I've found I either like a little bit (Akmir) and like a ton (Bilgarsk).

The only map that doesn't fall in with this is MAWLR. Kickass map in Operations mode, but in Warzone they close off the third floor on each side for no reason and make the map really congested and force you to go through these bloody murder room chokepoints.

I was chatting about Mawlr last night in a FTSG party. I've never played it on ops. I was commenting about how all these gangways and stairs and apparent 3rd floor wasn't useable and felt like a massive missed opportunity for vertical play in that map.

So many bizzare mapping choices made in this game. Like that ship in Akmir that's only used in OPS as far as i know (do they use it in TDM?). Wasted geometry in the game, they could have designed a bit more iceburg and platforms up to the ship and expanded the TSPs and whatnot.

witness said:
Mmmmm this campaign is turning into annoying kill rooms now.....
What part are you at? It beomes kill rooms towards the end, but thats also when they start giving you the cool weapons to make it more fun.

The last couple kill rooms have zero gravity. It was the devs way of making fun of Halo games, or at least an omage to them. In just that ONE room, every jump looks like a Halo 3 jump, same height, air time, etc. As a fan of both series, I found it hilarious and really fun to play.

Dizzy

Banned
Yeah Turbine and Crater are definitely the weaker maps, though I don't think I hate them like I do with maps in some other games.

Akmir might be ok if it wasn't for the snow. It's cool in single player but annoying in MP.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I find the graphics a downgrade from KZ2. Wtf. Though admittedly I am barely 40 minutes into the game.

Massa said:
By the time that bug was caught patch 1.04 was already in testing. Considering the myriad of network errors the new patch fixes it was a smart decision to not hold it up for a bug that can be quite easily worked around.

How was this bug not caught immediately? It's totally blatant. They must have heard about it day one.

It's absurd.

george_us

Relix said:
I find the graphics a downgrade from KZ2. Wtf. Though admittedly I am barely 40 minutes into the game.
Technically the game looks better (textures are sharper, better particle effects) but artistically I felt the game was pretty iffy. The jungle was hideous to me although I loved the junkyard level for some reason.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Relix said:
Keep playing.

The jungle level made me say WOW at the graphics, something I haven't done in a long time.

But I think the graphics are much sharper this time around, but I think switching to MSAA from QAA was probably a mistake. QAA really became part of the Killzone art style, even if it made it a little fuzzy around the edges.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My cousin just picked up the sharp shooter. I remember seeing some settings posted here for it, could anybody repost those or link me?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
erlim said:
I hope when they go forth with Killzone 4, they use Killzone 2 as a model.

They should just start from scratch and re-skin Bad Company 2 with KZ art instead.

Not even asking for BF3. BC2 would do.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Meijimasha said:
I fucking LOVE Pyrrhus Crater. Most of these maps I originally thought were bad, but the more I play them and the more used to them I get, the more tricks and shortcuts I learn to make the game more fun.

I love Pyyrhus because the angles play gives a new dimension to combat. The single TSA in the center is strategically really important, but the tunnel system that makes it easy to traverse the level ensures that just because you don't have the center TSA doesn't mean you're definitely going to lose.

Turbine sucks, though. The problem with it is that there aren't enough TSAs and the team that has the North TSA always wins because it overlooks every single objective gametype.

The rest of the maps I've found I either like a little bit (Akmir) and like a ton (Bilgarsk).

The only map that doesn't fall in with this is MAWLR. Kickass map in Operations mode, but in Warzone they close off the third floor on each side for no reason and make the map really congested and force you to go through these bloody murder room chokepoints.

Pyyrhus is a terrible, terrible map.

commish said:
Pyyrhus is a terrible, terrible map.
Why?

I gave solid reasons why its a great map, you could at least give ONE reason why its bad, considering all the laughable talk about "post quality" I see on these boards, right?

erlim said:
I hope when they go forth with Killzone 4, they use Killzone 2 as a model.
Me too.

Have yet to install this new patch. Can't believe the DLC map glitch is still in. So I guess it'll be another few weeks before that gets fixed?

Meijimasha said:
Why?

I gave solid reasons why its a great map, you could at least give ONE reason why its bad, considering all the laughable talk about "post quality" I see on these boards, right?
I actually like it as well, other than the colour palette anyway.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I still think Killzone 2 is the better game, especially since I liked the multiplayer maps better. The graphics are good though. I can't wait to see it run in 1080p on the PS4.

Meijimasha said:
The last couple kill rooms have zero gravity.

It wasn't really Zero G. Anything not secured to the ground would have floated upwards. It would have been awesome if we could have walked on the ceiling, taking a pop at everything floating in the air. Sniping would have been much better in that situation.

Junkyard was the highlight of the game for me.

Facism

X-Frame said:
Curious how many people are playing online during prime times.

I wish it would tell you like other games.

GG haven't learnt anything from their handling of DLC in KZ2, and Salamun Market games are pretty much dead when it comes to population. Couldn't find any big games at all last night, always ended up something like 6 v 3.

patsu

That's not true. I play Salamun Market all the time, ended another game 3 minutes ago. ^_^

Perhaps it's a local issue. Or sometimes, the game just started with a few people if you get assigned to a new room.

X-Frame

Facism said:
GG haven't learnt anything from their handling of DLC in KZ2, and Salamun Market games are pretty much dead when it comes to population. Couldn't find any big games at all last night, always ended up something like 6 v 3.

Yes, segregating the community from Day 1 probably wasn't a good idea. ;)

Nor is announcing even further DLC maps before any significant patches even came out .. I'm definitely not giving them my money for 2 maps until KZ3 is actually complete. It's still in beta from my point of view.

I'm not buying the new maps under any circumstance.

• They don't have Operations Mode compatibility.
  • I dislike GG's map design for KZ3 and don't want to waste money on highly likely failure.
  • The fuckers are only going to segregate the community anyway.

Barrett2

Alright, gonna put a few more hours into the campaign today.

Gotta say, after 3hrs of the campaign and 3hrs of multiplayer this week, IMO, this game is just straight up boring.

.GqueB.

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
I'm not buying the new maps under any circumstance.

• They don't have Operations Mode compatibility.
  • I dislike GG's map design for KZ3 and don't want to waste money on highly likely failure.
  • The fuckers are only going to segregate the community anyway.
How bout you dont buy any map packs for any game ever so they'll stop this horseshit. I still cant believe companies purposefully segregate their community to get a quick buck.

I also cant believe that people actually pay for that tripe.

Facism

lawblob said:
Alright, gonna put a few more hours into the campaign today.

Gotta say, after 3hrs of the campaign and 3hrs of multiplayer this week, IMO, this game is just straight up boring.

As lince called it last night, this is KZzzzzzzzzz 3.

.GqueB. said:
How bout you dont buy any map packs for any game ever so they'll stop this horseshit. I still cant believe companies purposefully segregate their community to get a quick buck.

I also cant believe that people actually pay for that tripe.

Aye. I'd much rather developers release all maps for free, but have character skins, weapons etc as payable DLC. I really think that although I love the class based gameplay, GG are missing a trick because it doesn't allow them to sell character skins as DLC.

Naughty Dog could release Uncharted 2 and Uncharted: DF characters as DLC for U3. By the time KZ4 comes around, it would be nice if I could play as Engineer Visari, or Infiltrator Radec etc.

Hell, even make 5 skins (one for each class) of the character so I can play as that character in any role.

Garjon

Galvanise_ said:
Junkyard was the highlight of the game for me.
I resoundly agree with this
solely due to the boltgun
. The campaign really is awful: horrible pacing, boring on-rails shooting galleries, a massive reliance on scripted sequences, the start of the jungle bit, far too many cutscenes, a couple of instances of utterly atrocious game design
Stahl Arms, I'm looking at you and a shit climax
. The Scrapyard level is genuinely the game's only positive that I can recall.

I haven't played MP with 1.04, but if it's anything like it was pre-patch (i.e. every match plays like a TDM) then I'm not touching the series again; GG have proven that they simply don't get what made KZ2 MP a (slightly flawed) gem.

Also, I echo the sentiments expressed here, don't buy map packs.

Khronikos

Banned
Okay, even I don't have that much hate for this game. The campaign is fine as is. Of course it could be better. After 2 you guys knew what you were into. The 3rd is much better than whatever was there in the second one. Meanwhile, some of the second campaign was mind numbingly dumb. I don't get the people that were expecting this to be magic gold that you could snort as well.

I will give that the maps being as bad as they are severely hurts this game beyond question. These maps and the gameplay together do not produce enough dynamic play. Salamun is STILL my favorite map. Not good.

Not sure what they plan to do but all maps should have been available in warzone and GW everyone knows it. And the quality is just something that should have been totally agreed on. What we got here is a dev short on time or skill because it just doesn't seem like a lot of intensive thought was placed into the maps for the most part. That is shocking, it sucks, and overall is the worst thing about the game by far.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Meijimasha said:
Why?

You are trying too hard :(

Anyway, little buddy, I've posted about this map numerous times since launch. With an organized team, it's exceedingly easy to hold the TSP and dominate the other team.

.GqueB.

Banned
Khronikos said:
Okay, even I don't have that much hate for this game. The campaign is fine as is. Of course it could be better. After 2 you guys knew what you were into. The 3rd is much better than whatever was there in the second one. Meanwhile, some of the second campaign was mind numbingly dumb. I don't get the people that were expecting this to be magic gold that you could snort as well.

I will give that the maps being as bad as they are severely hurts this game beyond question. These maps and the gameplay together do not produce enough dynamic play. Salamun is STILL my favorite map. Not good.

Not sure what they plan to do but all maps should have been available in warzone and GW everyone knows it. And the quality is just something that should have been totally agreed on. What we got here is a dev short on time or skill because it just doesn't seem like a lot of intensive thought was placed into the maps for the most part. That is shocking, it sucks, and overall is the worst thing about the game by far.
I feel like you guys are just trollin now.

highrider

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
Aye. I'd much rather developers release all maps for free, but have character skins, weapons etc as payable DLC. I really think that although I love the class based gameplay, GG are missing a trick because it doesn't allow them to sell character skins as DLC.

Naughty Dog could release Uncharted 2 and Uncharted: DF characters as DLC for U3. By the time KZ4 comes around, it would be nice if I could play as Engineer Visari, or Infiltrator Radec etc.

Hell, even make 5 skins (one for each class) of the character so I can play as that character in any role.

one thing i like about killzone 3 is that gg really ran with the helghast character art direction. some of the different classes in the singleplayer are great models. would love to see them take the heavy and expand on that.

having the helghast as a more tech oriented enemy opens up a lot of creative options for killzone 4. i see bland being mentioned in regards to killzone and the helghast, but they could be a truly great enemy with a few tweaks. they were always a proper evil.

Massa

commish said:
You are trying too hard :(

Anyway, little buddy, I've posted about this map numerous times since launch. With an organized team, it's exceedingly easy to hold the TSP and dominate the other team.

With two organized teams it's not that easy.

So, this thought just occurred to me:

Could you shoot through the gaps in the railings/steps of stairs in KZ2?

Salamun Market - the stairs at the base of the TSP nearest to the Search & Defend spot. When an enemy comes down that corridor and you can both clearly see each other through the stairs' railings, it turns into a stupid game of Chicken wherein the both of us are constantly strafing between the IMPENETRABLE COVER OF STAIRS. So lame.

The numerous scrapheaps in MAWLR also come to mind.

mickcenary said:
So, this thought just occurred to me:

Could you shoot through the gaps in the railings/steps of stairs in KZ2?

Yes, you could, and its noticeably ABSENT in KZ3.

Worst freaking example is in MAWLR Graveyard on the west side between those two rooms close to the Hig secondary spawn there is a metal fence blocking off the alley. You can see through it BECAUSE IT IRON BARS with a good SIX INCHES between each bar BUT YOU CAN'T SHOOT THROUGH IT.

W
T
F

And every unmoveable object in this game seems to be covered in a six in invisible layer of kevlar that blocks my shots when I'm trying to shoot from cover. If this was the cost of the tiny bit of destructibility in this game then it was completely not worth it.

Khronikos said:

Killzone 2 campaign was fucking awesome. The best pure SP campaign in a war shooter this generation. It did unfortunately have a few big flaws (trigger delay, 2-3 absurdly difficult/frustrating areas, crap friendly AI), and the best that I can say about KZ3's campaign is that it did fix those particular issues. However, it was also a step backwards in many other ways and is overall worse.

So yeah, I was expecting something at least as good as KZ2 and didn't get it.

On the other hand, all this "terrible campaign" nonsense one hears from a few people is just that, nonsense, IMO. It's still pretty damn fun and better than most such games.

For some reason, my move is hyper sensitive tonight.

Same lighting conditions, same seating arrangement, same place, same controllers etc. Its just spazzing out. No idea whats wrong. I've calibrated about 5 times.

Meijimasha said:
And every unmoveable object in this game seems to be covered in a six in invisible layer of kevlar that blocks my shots when I'm trying to shoot from cover. If this was the cost of the tiny bit of destructibility in this game then it was completely not worth it.

Ha. Oh, man. I know the fence you're talking about. It's terrible. The absolute WORST is when you cook a grenade to perfection, line up its trajectory to perfection, throw it and see it bounce back towards you, KILLING YOU, because you just happened to throw it at some bullshit invisible corner jutting out from a box or something.

BALLS!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Galvanise_ said:
For some reason, my move is hyper sensitive tonight.

Same lighting conditions, same seating arrangement, same place, same controllers etc. Its just spazzing out. No idea whats wrong. I've calibrated about 5 times.

Tried turning it off and back on again?

What's going on exactly?

TTP said:
Tried turning it off and back on again?

What's going on exactly?

Well, I have all of my settings at 0, apart from turning speed set to 30%. For some reason, its just turning really really fast and its incredibly hard for me to aim down the sights as its jumping around all the time. I've found myself aiming at the sky and its harder than usual to move around.

I've tried everything. I think I'll just try again tomorrow. :(

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
mickcenary said:
Ha. Oh, man. I know the fence you're talking about. It's terrible. The absolute WORST is when you cook a grenade to perfection, line up its trajectory to perfection, throw it and see it bounce back towards you, KILLING YOU, because you just happened to throw it at some bullshit invisible corner jutting out from a box or something.

BALLS!

Worst is the bend in the Frozen Dam section, near the 2nd Capture & Hold area
The snow cliff alley area, ISA coming up the stairs, the Helgys coming through the door or snow from the dam

The bend has this amazing invisible wall, you can never angle your grenade

If you throw @45 degree angle, trying to curve it around the bend, the invisible wall kicks in goes LOL, and your grenade sails off to the valley or stairs below
Same thing goes both ways, if Helgy camping around bend, throw grenade, it bounces off and ricochets back @ you or duds/drops right there, which is fucking amazing physics for a game

wow.

got a FTSG clan invite (yay), i try to accept it and it crashes my ps3...WTF. i reboot and try again and it just gives me an 800012894-something error. i ask to send another invite, it works! then a squad invite.. ohh i cant join unless i buy the old maps i already paid for with KZ2. fucking great. lets try joining the squad with the squad leader setting "no DLC" for map preferences... nope, still tells me to buy the old maps, cant join squad.

i feel like this game wants to be hated.

.GqueB.

Banned
mickcenary said:

BALLS!
lol I know that fence. There were a few times where me and another guy from the other team just stood there shooting clip after clip at eachother for shits and giggles.

Then one of his teammates would come and slit my throat.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Galvanise_ said:
Well, I have all of my settings at 0, apart from turning speed set to 30%. For some reason, its just turning really really fast and its incredibly hard for me to aim down the sights as its jumping around all the time. I've found myself aiming at the sky and its harder than usual to move around.

I've tried everything. I think I'll just try again tomorrow. :(

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the camera? I mean unplug it and plug it back in again.

TTP said:
Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the camera? I mean unplug it and plug it back in again.

Not yet. I'm done for the night in any case. I'll give it another go tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

The more I play online, the more useless classes other than Tactician seem. The uber power of the M82 coupled with the ability to capture the all important TSPs makes you an utter beast; not to mention, the recon ability is ridiculously powerful.

It's undoubtedly the most powerful class in the game both in terms of kiling power and the efficacy with which you can contribute towards your team winning.

Top Bottom