• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

owlbeak

I am shocked at how many of you guys think Killzone 2 was better. I loved Killzone 2, played the hell out of warzone. I agree the maps were better in Killzone 2, once they removed temporary spawn invulnerability from spawn grenades it became a giant spawn camping session.

Killzone 3 is brilliant. The maps are REALLY lacking though. I love all the changes they made, especially TSA's, since I play primarily tactician. They need to release a true retro map pack with every old map except Radec.

Salamun is still the best map, followed by Corinth Highway, Frozen Dam and Bilgarsk Boulevard, the rest are mediocre.

Tactician didn't have the M82 in closed beta and people bitched and moaned about it constantly on their forum, so they gave him his M82 back.

owlbeak

Decarb said:
Tactician didn't have the M82 in closed beta and people bitched and moaned about it constantly on their forum, so they gave him his M82 back.
This is the inherent problem with Guerilla Games. They cave to a minority of whiney kids on the forums and end up ruining their games.

patsu

TTP said:
They should just start from scratch and re-skin Bad Company 2 with KZ art instead.

Not even asking for BF3. BC2 would do.

They should go LBP and let people make their own maps and modes. That way gamers will fight amongst themselves.:runaway:

.GqueB.

Banned
mickcenary said:
The more I play online, the more useless classes other than Tactician seem. The uber power of the M82 coupled with the ability to capture the all important TSPs makes you an utter beast; not to mention, the recon ability is ridiculously powerful.

It's undoubtedly the most powerful class in the game both in terms of kiling power and the efficacy with which you can contribute towards your team winning.
Ever faced a team of tacticians?

...it was a bloodbath. I still wake up in cold sweats.

Massa

.GqueB. said:

If it's you alone in a pub match against them in an unorganized team, sure. However, in a proper match a better balanced team will always win.

Tacticians can't capture your spawn point if you don't let them sit on top of it anyway. Radar jamming, turrets and reviving are fundamental abilities to do that.

patsu

I love the M82. Always scavenge them from the battlefield.

Yeah, a mixed team of opponents can cause more headache because I need to worry about more sheninigans. That's why on the Salamun Market map, I sometimes use the Exo to disperse gathering enemies on the second floor.

Khronikos

Banned
I basically have said the same with those EXACT maps. The rest are basically average to garbage and it hurts this game so very badly. With the right maps it would have been golden.

-Winnie-

I skimmed through this thread occasionally, and saw many people WTF'ing about the game's ending.

I was expecting
aliens or some shit
, but having finished the game now... EH?!

Total goddamn cliffhanger, not in a very good way either. They really missteped with the presentation here.
Unknowingly killing possibly millions of Helghans was quite disturbing, but then the game doesn't really linger on that thought and instantly cuts to credits. Cocktease.
And then the epilogue comes up. They find someone in a ship. Who is it? I dunno. Cocktease again.

Bleh. I really enjoyed the game as a whole, but I was hoping for a lot more from the ending.

smik

Thrakier said:
No. That's not the killzone philosophy. ;D

wow, you sound almost proud?

Basically everything is just TDM with other little capturing points, not really a great variety.

i think having more optional modes will give KZ3 a complete different of MP experience, a SND mode without respawns
will bring the pace of game down to a slow but tactical level from the typical TDM RnG spawn killfest.
dont get me wrong i love TDM but even i like a switchup from the regular killfest.

im sure people would like more options and it certainly wont hurt the so called "killzone philosophy." ;D

CozMick

Banned
smik said:
wow, you sound almost proud?

Basically everything is just TDM with other little capturing points, not really a great variety.

i think having more optional modes will give KZ3 a complete different of MP experience, a SND mode without respawns
will bring the pace of game down to a slow but tactical level from the typical TDM RnG spawn killfest.
dont get me wrong i love TDM but even i like a switchup from the regular killfest.

im sure people would like more options and it certainly wont hurt the so called "killzone philosophy." ;D

I'm getting a sit in the corner while cloaked vibe from you.

SnD would never work in KZ, never!

Barrett2

What's up with the weird lighting / shadow issues in this game? In both SP and MP, there is constantly shadows and lighting glitches. It's really irritating.

lawblob said:
What's up with the weird lighting / shadow issues in this game? In both SP and MP, there is constantly shadows and lighting glitches. It's really irritating.

There are lots of 'If you fucking polished this' it wouldn't be here issues in this game. KZ2 was a very polished game. KZ3 is full of issues. Its clear to me that GG bit off more than they could reasonably chew with KZ3. If they had more time the game would have been much better I'm sure, but given they had a 2 year dev cycle for this game. . I think they should have applied some focus.

All eyes on the next patch really.

CozMick

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:
What I really found to be sub par was the fact that I saw dithering. Really, in this day and age?

What? dithering exists in almost every single game this generation of console.

Steroyd

Completing this on Elite was alot easier than completing elite on KZ2 (well that's mostly thanks to Radec), even the on rail sections didn't entrap me for too long.

I'd play as medic alot more online if I had more faith in my teammates in capturing spawn points, but I don't most of the time unless i'm with the clan.

Barrett2

Playing through the jungle area right now. This just doesn't seem very well designed. Like, I just passed an area where I think I was supposed to remain in stealth the entire time, because as soon as you are detected you are instantly blown away. But, I don't think it's possible to not be seen, so finally after about 10 tries, I figured out the exact point I could reach and still be in stealth, then sprinted to the next forced slo-mo vine area, after which the enemies magically stopped shooting at me?

PjotrStroganov said:
I don't see it. I do in KZ3.

MLAA has some faults.

lawblob said:
Playing through the jungle area right now. This just doesn't seem very well designed. Like, I just passed an area where I think I was supposed to remain in stealth the entire time, because as soon as you are detected you are instantly blown away. But, I don't think it's possible to not be seen, so finally after about 10 tries, I figured out the exact point I could reach and still be in stealth, then sprinted to the next forced slo-mo vine area, after which the enemies magically stopped shooting at me?

That's the worst level in the entire game. It's amatuer level quality.

r.gun

Neo Member
lawblob said:

It is 100% possible to get through the whole first half of the jungle section while staying in stealth. There is a trophy for it, in fact.

pixelbox

Lagspike_exe said:
MLAA has some faults.

That's the worst level in the entire game. It's amatuer level quality.
And i'm guessing U2 stealth sections blows it away with the blind/deaf enemies, huh?
Thought i'd point that out for a reminder...

Thrakier

I played it and I liked it. It's a bit on rails for stealth, but nevertheless I felt entertained. The negative hyberbole again...

Thrakier said:
I played it and I liked it. It's a bit on rails for stealth, but nevertheless I felt entertained. The negative hyberbole again...

It's really not hyperbole. The entire level is like a parody to stealth military operations in RL. The game gives out a feeling of wanting to sound like a true mulitary operation, but they didn't know how to execute. They need to hire someone who was actually involved in a military conflict. Call of Duty, for example, did that part perfectly.

Thrakier

Lagspike_exe said:
It's really not hyperbole. The entire level is like a parody to stealth military operations in RL. The game gives out a feeling of wanting to sound like a true mulitary operation, but they didn't know how to execute. They need to hire someone who was actually involved in a military conflict. Call of Duty, for example, did that part perfectly.

Yeah, I don't give a shit about "real military operations" in my phantasy universe alien shooter. CoD is a gross game.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
.GqueB. said:

Yeah this can be brutal. The best players I've seen tend to use this class, and the better clans do often.

Barrett2

Finished the jungle level. The amount of shadow / lighting glitches, and insane amounts of texture pop in is ridiculous. Maybe it's partly because I'm playing in 3D?

But more importantly, I don't this game is fun... at all. I had a lot of fun with KZ2, but goddamn, so far this is just tedious and boring.

Lagspike_exe said:
You're saying All Ghilled Up was realistic? :lol

jorma

is now taking requests
Horsebite said:
This is the inherent problem with Guerilla Games. They cave to a minority of whiney kids on the forums and end up ruining their games.

Well, I hope they don't cave to the current batch. I'm having a lot of fun online.

lawblob said:
Finished the jungle level. The amount of shadow / lighting glitches, and insane amounts of texture pop in is ridiculous. Maybe it's partly because I'm playing in 3D?

But more importantly, I don't this game is fun... at all. I had a lot of fun with KZ2, but goddamn, so far this is just tedious and boring.
game became a lot more fun From that level on. Try in 2d If 3D isn't that great.

BeeDog

lawblob said:

I play the game in 2D, and I don't recall any real graphical issues in the jungle level outside of some geometry pop-in at some transitional areas. No shadow glitches or "insane amounts" of texture pop-in at all (in fact, I don't really recall a single texture pop-in throughout the whole game).

Steroyd

Thrakier said:

There's a fundamental flaw to that section that pisses me off in other games as well, the moment you've been spotted the enemies have that bullshit X-ray vision radar crap where you can't go back into stealth. >_<

Barrett2

BeeDog said:
I play the game in 2D, and I don't recall any real graphical issues in the jungle level outside of some geometry pop-in at some transitional areas. No shadow glitches or "insane amounts" of texture pop-in at all (in fact, I don't really recall a single texture pop-in throughout the whole game).
I think I'm gonna replay that jungle level in 2D, see if that makes a difference, because at least in 3D, there was quite a lot of texture pop in during that level.

Rolf NB

Ok, so I've finished the campaign on veteran.

Too many vehicles/turrets. Like way too many.
Especially the final "boss" fight being nothing but a string of bullshit turret sections
really got to me.

Cover system wonky. I play with crouch hold, maybe that contributes to it, but several times I got killed because, with me not moving at all, my guy just wiggled back and forth between cover and lean states, and I couldn't fire a single shot. No stun lock=more enemy fire=more death.

Autoaim I can't turn off drives me crazy. I can't rely on this reticule, it's doing whatever it pleases and changes its behaviour all the time. I can't lead targets. There also seems to be an all new, space-era lag issue going on here, where you have to basically aim a little besides the target to get a reliable hit. Became really obvious with the bolt gun.

Speaking of which, the scrap yard and the thing that immediately followed it, was pretty great. That's my ideal concept of a Killzone campaing level. Big spaces, multiple paths through them, enemies on multiple levels of height, good application of cover and for multiple weapons.

Most other stuff, not so great IMO. The start was weak, and the very end (on foot) was almost great, if it weren't for the
fucking flood like in every other fps goddamnit stop this shit already

Multiplayer ... well. Well, well, well. Super imbalanced maps. Camp or be camped. 'nade/rocket spam galore. Good old Salamun Market is the only map I've played so far (and I haven't played every map yet, mind) that has a semblence of quality map design. And that still has TSPs and Exos that really shouldn't even be there.

*sigh*

edit: yeah, the Metroid Prime level was kind of cool.

patsu

Steroyd said:
There's a fundamental flaw to that section that pisses me off in other games as well, the moment you've been spotted the enemies have that bullshit X-ray vision radar crap where you can't go back into stealth. >_<

I posted this before. I was able to go back into stealth in the first half after someone spotted me. I was barely outside and took a quick step back into a cave. They radio'ed back to base to say it's a false alarm.

Another time, I missed a shot. They sent 2 guys after me. After killing both, we could still continue the stealth mission.

lawblob said:
I think I'm gonna replay that jungle level in 2D, see if that makes a difference, because at least in 3D, there was quite a lot of texture pop in during that level.
Second half of the game is a lot better imo.
I was bored to death till the jungle level.

dwin45

Has the patch improved anyone's connections in multiplayer? I'm considering getting back into the game if it's not a huge laggy mess like it was a few weeks ago.

TacticalFox88 said:
You're saying All Ghilled Up was realistic? :lol

No, I did not. The entire game gives out an impression of a real military operation. How they use communications, tactics, weapons, everything. It's really a very well executed.

lawblob said:

I've done both not being seen and with being seen halfway through, and then killing everyone en route to the end. It's not really hard, just overly generous to the player.

Since it's their first time doing stealth, I just gave them a break. Wasn't expecting MGS.

Honestly, I like the campaign more than KZ2. Maybe it's the environments, but the vehicle section (snowmobile) can go right off a cliff. I didn't like the last section, it felt like a let down after KZ2's battle with Radec.

Other than that, I had a lot of fun. The Evac, Snow section and MAWLR were great.

patsu

commish said:
Yeah this can be brutal. The best players I've seen tend to use this class, and the better clans do often.

Probably depends on the mode and mission. e.g. Tacticians are not as great as Infiltrators in SnR missions. Medics are great for Assassination defense.

Negaiido

dwin45 said:
Has the patch improved anyone's connections in multiplayer? I'm considering getting back into the game if it's not a huge laggy mess like it was a few weeks ago.

I don't get all the lag complains. I've only experienced 1 lagspike but the rest was all fluent. I hear people ingame whining about lag but they are whining about everything(Pwonager/Lince) :p

I've found that Killzone is a shooter for connoisseurs. Its sometimes infuriating, usually exhilarating, but never, ever boring.

And thats why I like KZ. Other shooters bore me.

Meijimasha said:
I've found that Killzone is a shooter for connoisseurs. Its sometimes infuriating, usually exhilarating, but never, ever boring.

Everything up to the Jungle bored me. The Jungle only made me sit up and take notice because it was a change up in the gameplay. Even then it was flawed. Junkyard was fantastic. MAWLR was nice to look at, but still bored me. As for the final chapter. Nah. Didn't do anything for me. It was interesting, but ultimately boring.

Far too many on rails segments for my tastes overall. As for the story. . .I never felt like I was under any sort of pressure or insurmountable force. Somehow the ISA kept pulling tanks and transports out of their arse to be blown up.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Galvanise_ said:
Everything up to the Jungle bored me. The Jungle only made me sit up and take notice because it was a change up in the gameplay. Even then it was flawed. Junkyard was fantastic. MAWLR was nice to look at, but still bored me. As for the final chapter. Nah. Didn't do anything for me. It was interesting, but ultimately boring.

Far too many on rails segments for my tastes overall. As for the story. . .I never felt like I was under any sort of pressure or insurmountable force. Somehow the ISA kept pulling tanks and transports out of their arse to be blown up.

I'm playing through Killzone 2 again, and I'm realizing that it bests Killzone 3 in just about every way. Even the story. The level design does a better job of masking how linear the game is just by giving you little puzzles like shooting electricity to stop the heavies and shooting the electricity to go on, etc. It looks nicer (why did they get rid of the antialiasing?) and the story is better presented. Also why did they change all the voice actors?

Top Bottom