• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

I beat this game a few hours ago and i think i like the last half of the game better than the first. Im talking the first half being "genericzone: cliche shooter" to the last being a really enjoyable game.

And just when imreally into it the fracking game ends. =/

FTSG!

Still think killzone2 is way better..........from beginning to end

commish said:
Turrets can be destroyed in about 3 seconds. Tbh I think engineers are probably the least useful class, except they get that beast of a machine gun.

Maxed out engineer is awesome. Basic LMG as starting weapon, second primary of the last LMG they unlock, quick and deadly turrets and the ability to turn an enemies turret against him. They can take out people from a distance with the first LMG and as they get nearer to an objective they can clean house with the second LMG.

Engineers are also boss for defence. Secure ammo box, clever placement of a turret and the spreading out of C4 around the area. You can pick them off far away (or without even seeing them with the turret) and if they get close, they can switch to the second beast LMG to take down a group of guys. Deadly as fuck with Move. Chaining kills together with the first LMG and Move is boss.

Turret placement is also key for any of the objectives. If there are 2-3 engineers on a team working well, the placement of the turrets and the long range of the first LMG can be really offputting for enemies to run into an area. They can chop and change the placement of the turrets to control different areas of the battlefield.

patsu

Yes, ammo crate repair is very important for defense. C4 also forces medics to use up their self-revival capabllity.

JB1981

patsu said:
Yes, ammo crate repair is very important for defense. C4 also forces medics to use up their self-revival capabllity.

C4 should not be a skill, imo. It should be part of engineer class. Would cut down on C4 spam.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
JB1981 said:
C4 should not be a skill, imo. It should be part of engineer class. Would cut down on C4 spam.

Definitely agree that only one class should have proximity mines.

10dollas

Banned
JB1981 said:

And replacing the C4 hole in the other class choices with the electric grenade, would be awesome

So first we got put into an Operations game with literally 5 seconds to go in the match. 5 seconds after joining we were both being smacked by Helghast in a cutscene. Ouch!

Then we were able to get into a new Operations match... except that we were the only 3 people in the game. No one else on either team.

No problems before today.

Thrakier

I'd wish they give move user the option to use the normal DSIII crosshair. The yellow one is...kinda ugly.

How was the scene from the beginning different when you get there in the game? That makes no sense.

.GqueB.

Banned
Thrakier said:
I'd wish they give move user the option to use the normal DSIII crosshair. The yellow one is...kinda ugly.

How was the scene from the beginning different when you get there in the game? That makes no sense.
YEA!!!!

I was gonna ask that. Why does it happen completely differently?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Thrakier said:

Considered as a tutorial first time, lets you know what's to come. You are quickly rushed through to give you the sense that leading there to that point took time and work. So it like showing a sneak peek, then when finally you come back to that point, your like ahhhh, so that's where the story goes (scene/location wise), due to it being a tutorial beforehand in the beginning. Didn't help those huge different month skips, the game story just jumped from place to place, hell even segways with-in the same part of the story don't tell you how you got there, ie ATAC fight, kill it, then your in a snow rider, with no scene transition or a reason, your just placed in it.(Only point to recognize it, is when fighting ATAC you see those riders parked around the compound, in the background)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wtf is with the ending????????????

Great game except for the ending. I have been using the Move single player and multiplayer. It took until my second play through to actually feel comfortable with it replacing the dualshock. It shocked the hell out of me when I came in # 1 a few rounds with the Move. At that point I knew there was no turning back. Move for the win>

JB1981 said:

C4s schmee4s, they're nothing compared to infiltrators with shotguns and a tunnel-visioned player base.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
RedRedSuit said:
So first we got put into an Operations game with literally 5 seconds to go in the match. 5 seconds after joining we were both being smacked by Helghast in a cutscene. Ouch!

Then we were able to get into a new Operations match... except that we were the only 3 people in the game. No one else on either team.

No problems before today.

This has happened to me a ton. I don't understand the concept of joining games late. Why not use the matchmaking systems that work? It ruins the balancing of games if you allow people to just come and go.

calder

Finally found a sharpshooter so I picked it and KZ3 up today. Really like the controls, with a few caveats. I don't see anyway to fix it but randomly shifting on the couch over time means I end up having to recalibrate every half hour or so, not a huge deal and like I said I'm not sure there's a way to stop fidgety people from fidgeting and eventually getting the calibration off. And I'm not quite solid with my control scheme yet, I wish the deadzone was a wee bit bigger as I already have it at 100% horizontal and it's justnotquite right for me.

Lol and damn I must be a huge suck but I found my left arm got a bit tired after a while. I think half the time I had to recalibrate it was partially because I was shifting my arms around (eventually getting a pillow for my lap and resting my left arm on it) just to relieve my withered, pathetic left arm. I'm sure I'll find a way to sit more comfortably, I think I need to not sit on my normal spot on the couch because having my right side against the arm of the couch means I have to lift my left arm a lot more so my right elbow can lazily rest on the couch.

The sharpshooter itself it a surprisingly sturdy hunk of plastic, although for $40 it's not super cheap so I guess it should be. Feels great in the hands, but I can not even imagine how much of a dork I look like using it.

.GqueB.

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
Considered as a tutorial first time, lets you know what's to come. You are quickly rushed through to give you the sense that leading there to that point took time and work. So it like showing a sneak peek, then when finally you come back to that point, your like ahhhh, so that's where the story goes (scene/location wise), due to it being a tutorial beforehand in the beginning. Didn't help those huge different month skips, the game story just jumped from place to place, hell even segways with-in the same part of the story don't tell you how you got there, ie ATAC fight, kill it, then your in a snow rider, with no scene transition or a reason, your just placed in it.(Only point to recognize it, is when fighting ATAC you see those riders parked around the compound, in the background)
No I think he and I are talking about the fact that its completely different. You walk to different areas, do completely different things, walk through different rooms.

Im sure it was done for SOME reason but it just came off weird. Like in Uncharted 2 this is done slightly. The first time you do the train sequence you just do it but the second time, you hear Drakes commentary about the situation. But the act itself is 100% the same. In KZ3 everything was just different as if they werent at all related in the least bit and the first run through wasnt even Rico and Sev. Again, completely weird.

Today on the online I'd noticed I'd maxed out rewards for using the M82 as the tact so I decided to switch to the shotgun.

Holy shit. It almost felt unfair. I know I wasn't doing any better or worse than with the M82, but it was so damn FUN to use it felt broken. Way better than it was in KZ2, despite being exactly the same, save the sight.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I swear to God if my preorder doesn't show up today I'm gonna use the Move's ball to play catch the mouse with my cat... shit is sitting unutiized, bothers me a lot.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
see5harp said:
Seriously that game fades to black like it does at the end of every other "level" but instead of playing a cinematic they just roll credits.

Yeah I loved the game but it feels like they phoned in the ending. Did they run out of time and just decided to ditch the last level? Also it was very easy, earlier stages of the game was harder (not that hard though) but towards the end I felt it was a cake walk.

Zen

Banned
Going back to Killzone 2, the cutscene direction in Killzone 3 is truly terrible. Say what you will about the pacing of Killzone 2, or the experience not having enough detail in the narrative, but what it did have was much better written, directed, and thought out that what we got taht passed fora story in Killzone 3.

I mean just watch these scenes, sure there's a line or two that's a tad generic, but compare that honestly to the brotastic shit that was Killzone 3.

Killzone 2 Opening CG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeNvRMgCw7Y&feature=related

The Death of Templar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNY-h_3WqGQ

Visari confronted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeNvRMgCw7Y&hd=1

Killzone 2 had such better production values and writing it isn't even funny.

thuway

Zen said:
Going back to Killzone 2, the cutscene direction in Killzone 3 is truly terrible. Say what you will about the pacing of Killzone 2, or the experience not having enough detail in the narrative, but what it did have was much better written, directed, and thought out that what we got taht passed fora story in Killzone 3.

I mean just watch these scenes, sure there's a line or two that's a tad generic, but compare that honestly to the brotastic shit that was Killzone 3.

Killzone 2 Opening CG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeNvRMgCw7Y&feature=related

The Death of Templar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNY-h_3WqGQ

Visari confronted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeNvRMgCw7Y&hd=1

Killzone 2 had such better production values and writing it isn't even funny.

Killzone 2's writing was better, but be real here, the facial animations in Killzone 3 kill the second ones. KZ2's facial animations really killed the graphics for me.

jorma

is now taking requests
JB1981 said:

Absolutely disagree! Proxy mines is the one thing that cuts down grenade spamming. And that's a lot more annoying than proxy mines imo.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just beat this on Elite in 4 hours, 30 minutes...

I never did manage to beat Visare in KZ2 on elite...

Such a disappointing campaign. I mean, it was fun in spots, and really showed how Killzone is different from other shooters in other spots, but in between the on rails segments that felt like they took up 1/4 of the game, and the out of nowhere ending, you really end up feeling underwhelmed as hell when the credit roll.

The 5 hour length is just pathetic. For every on rails segment, or confusing scene transition that jumped into another scene, there should've been at least 20 minutes of on foot and traversal stuff. The whole "GO GO GO" mentality of Call of Duty has got to stop. Where is the pacing? Where are the dips in action for character moment? How do they not even reach 8 hours? And then to end when you just really get into it...SMH.

And what was the point of Jammer? Why didn't they expand on how Rico
got left behind?
How do they end the game on THAT note without any consequences for what just happened? How do they end the game with THAT battle, period? Ughhhhhh.

The Junkyard and MAWLR were the obvious high points of the whole game (including multi). Too bad the rest couldn't be like that.

Thrakier

.GqueB. said:
No I think he and I are talking about the fact that its completely different. You walk to different areas, do completely different things, walk through different rooms.

Im sure it was done for SOME reason but it just came off weird. Like in Uncharted 2 this is done slightly. The first time you do the train sequence you just do it but the second time, you hear Drakes commentary about the situation. But the act itself is 100% the same. In KZ3 everything was just different as if they werent at all related in the least bit and the first run through wasnt even Rico and Sev. Again, completely weird.

Yeah, it makes no sense. I'm kinda happy that you
don't have to do the shooting range again, ok, but even the way to the broadcast room was totally different. Makes no sense at all.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I hate to be a party pooper, but me and my friend played the first 2~ hours of the campaign and uhhhh...... it was hella boring. On to multiplayer lol

commish

Net_Wrecker said:
Such a disappointing campaign. I mean, it was fun in spots, and really showed how Killzone is different from other shooters in other spots, but in between the on rails segments that felt like they took up 1/4 of the game, and the out of nowhere ending, you really end up feeling underwhelmed as hell when the credit roll.

The 5 hour length is just pathetic. For every on rails segment, or confusing scene transition that jumped into another scene, there should've been at least 20 minutes of on foot and traversal stuff. The whole "GO GO GO" mentality of Call of Duty has got to stop. Where is the pacing? Where are the dips in action for character moment? How do they not even reach 8 hours? And then to end when you just really get into it...SMH.

And what was the point of Jammer? Why didn't they expand on how Rico
got left behind?
How do they end the game on THAT note without any consequences for what just happened? How do they end the game with THAT battle, period? Ughhhhhh.

The Junkyard and MAWLR were the obvious high points of the whole game (including multi). Too bad the rest couldn't be like that.

By now, anyone who buys a FPS for the single player is a little silly, to be honest. Everyone should know by now that it's probably going to be a 5 or 6 hour affair and will leave people disappointed. I can't remember the last FPS that had a single player people enjoyed, besides DS2, I guess. If you aren't into multi, just rent. Most devs aren't the best at making FPS single player modes, for whatever reason. For every HL2, there are 20 CODs.

MAN. This thread is beginning to depress me :(.

How I yearn for a 2+ hour Warzone extravaganza on Salamun Market or Visari Hammer or ANY FUCKING MAP in Killzone 2, for that matter, as they were all kind of GODLY in their own special way. Playing out a Search & Destroy objective on those maps with balanced and talented teams obliterates any experience you can have in Killzone 3.

I think the main problem with 3 is the insane degree to which it caters to class and map exploitation, enticing players to purely camp or run around, meleeing like a cockbag and ultimately ignoring the objective.

When I cop a cheap kill from a cowardly MRK sitting in a corner next to our spawn, it pisses me off; it makes me want to respawn and do to others exactly what he just did to me, just so I don't feel cheated, rage and quit.

I played as a MED in Killzone 2. Every single time I respawned, I would make a bee-line for the objective and revive my buddies like it was going out of fashion; and guess what? My whole team was there, too, working towards WINNING. Classes were considerably more balanced (mind the speedy rocketeer wangs), i.e. the Engineer and the Engineer ALONE could use the shotgun. Objective-based gameplay was encouraged. Now, there're just too many options/weapons for each class and consequently, the objective fades into the background.

And for your information, I sunk a POO-load of hours into KZ2's multi - hours that were comprised purely of public matches.

Polar. Opposite. Design. Quality.

Also, not being able to aim and "shoot" your Revive Gun is idiotic and clunky; why can they not just make its effect null on the opposition? I really don't see any grave problems arising from this.

And for what it's worth, 75% of my will to persevere with this game stems from just how excellently PS Move works with it. If I was DS3-ing, I'd probably be back to playing Reach.

commish said:
By now, anyone who buys a FPS for the single player is a little silly, to be honest. Everyone should know by now that it's probably going to be a 5 or 6 hour affair and will leave people disappointed. I can't remember the last FPS that had a single player people enjoyed, besides DS2, I guess. If you aren't into multi, just rent. Most devs aren't the best at making FPS single player modes, for whatever reason. For every HL2, there are 20 CODs.

I didn't buy it strictly for campaign, but at the same time, 5 hours is a joke. I'm not dumping all of this on Killzone btw, but this universe has so much more to offer than Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Medal of Honor. They can really flesh out a lot of situations and characters so much better than they have been doing so far.

Just a few on foot traversal sections, more on foot action, another stealth section, and a more dramatic end sequence could've easily added another 2 1/2 to 3 hours to the total time and made the whole thing feel more "complete." The constant "GO GO GO" with drastically different scenery changes without even a bit of lead up leaves the chapters feeling like pieces of a whole. It's like we're in the "Tutorial Area", now the "Tank Area", now the "stealth jungle", now the "Snow Level" etc. etc. without anything in between.

Variety without build up, a sense of time and place, and pacing is worthless.

Cornbread78

Man, so what changed with 1.04? Still gettign network errors, still couldn't bring a party of 8 into a match together. Still gettign frozen and d/c'd.

Tried playing 2 clan matches Sat, night since the patch hit.

1 match, the lag was so bad, the other team was teleporting accross the screen. the second match, started with 8 guys, 5 players got D/C'd immediately at the beginning, and it ended up being 6v3 in a laggy mess....

WTF. Everything I loved about KZ2 has been pissed all over in KZ3. Game is still fun to play, it's just SOOOO FRUSTRATING!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
mickcenary said:

How I yearn for a 2+ hour Warzone extravaganza on Salamun Market or Visari Hammer or ANY FUCKING MAP in Killzone 2, for that matter, as they were all kind of GODLY in their own special way. Playing out a Search & Destroy objective on those maps with balanced and talented teams obliterates any experience you can have in Killzone 3.

Cornbread78 said:
WTF. Everything I loved about KZ2 has been pissed all over in KZ3. Game is still fun to play, it's just SOOOO FRUSTRATING!

we had a good 8 party team last night in KZ2, it was better than my entire time with KZ3.

Rolf NB

commish said:
But I loved Killzone 2's campaign. I was expecting to get more of that style. KZ3 had a little (scrapyard, cruiser redux), but it just didn't reach the same quality for me.

commish

JB1981 said:
I like how FTSG has gone back to KZ2 already LOL!!!!

Yeah, a bunch of folks did and acted as if it was their first time playing KZ2 :p I put in 200 hours or whatever into KZ2's MP, I loved it too, and I DO think it's better than KZ3, but it has its own issues. I'll move on to a new game before I go back to KZ2, I think...

Facism

mickcenary said:

I think the main problem with 3 is the insane degree to which it caters to class and map exploitation, enticing players to purely camp or run around, meleeing like a cockbag and ultimately ignoring the objective.

When I cop a cheap kill from a cowardly MRK sitting in a corner next to our spawn, it pisses me off; it makes me want to respawn and do to others exactly what he just did to me, just so I don't feel cheated, rage and quit.

I played as a MED in Killzone 2. Every single time I respawned, I would make a bee-line for the objective and revive my buddies like it was going out of fashion; and guess what? My whole team was there, too, working towards WINNING. Classes were considerably more balanced (mind the speedy rocketeer wangs), i.e. the Engineer and the Engineer ALONE could use the shotgun. Objective-based gameplay was encouraged. Now, there're just too many options/weapons for each class and consequently, the objective fades into the background.

And for your information, I sunk a POO-load of hours into KZ2's multi - hours that were comprised purely of public matches.

Polar. Opposite. Design. Quality.

Also, not being able to aim and "shoot" your Revive Gun is idiotic and clunky; why can they not just make its effect null on the opposition? I really don't see any grave problems arising from this.

KZ3 servers were down last night so the more regular players in FTSG jumped onto KZ2.

Still such a fucking awesome online game. I think we played every map except Hammer on a 20 player no assault server. It was laggy for us euros (at least for me) playing against US players, but having the higher HP and stamina than KZ3 made sure that i could get away without dying when being shot at.

@commish: Sorry if our little love session about KZ2 was a little too sugary last night :p The MP just played better for me in KZ2 and everything felt like it had a purpose in the game rather than being there because of the "OMG SO AWESOME PERMANENT CLOAK AND SILENCED WEAPON OMMGGG" factor that KZ3 has.

Cornbread78

alr1ghtstart said:
we had a good 8 party team last night in KZ2, it was better than my entire time with KZ3.

Just keep rubbing it in.... I never thought I'd say this, ever, about this game.... but I think I'll finish the game on Elite to get the shiney platinum trophy and cross over to Crysis 2 for online next week and Mass Effect 2 for everything else (I love Birthdays, LOL)

If Crysis 2 sucks online like people are saying it will, I'll just play my backlog until Resistance 3 drops in Sept. So dissappointed in this game.... Lately, these games have been more and more dissappointing when they finally launch..

commish

Cornbread78 said:
Just keep rubbing it in.... I never thought I'd say this, ever, about this game.... but I think I'll finish the game on Elite to get the shiney platinum trophy and cross over to Crysis 2 for online next week and Mass Effect 2 for everything else (I love Birthdays, LOL)

If Crysis 2 sucks online like people are saying it will, I'll just play my backlog until Resistance 3 drops in Sept. So dissappointed in this game.... Lately, these games have been more and more dissappointing when they finally launch..

I haven't been following Crysis 2, but I am sad to hear that the online sucks... I read that homefront's wasn't that good either. Too bad. Still looking for an online FPS to hold me until Battlefield 3 (at which time I will abandon all else for 2 years like I did with BF2).

My most missed feature of KZ2 was the custom servers. Oh, you want a 2 hour warzone with no assault on your favorite map? No problem. Easy to find, always full. Now, it's enough for me that I can get into a map that has at least 6 players per side on a map that I don't hate... which is rare :(

Rolf NB

Cornbread78 said:

I'm really stoked for Resistance 3 as well. If you need something to tide you over, Brink looks promising IMO.

-viper-

Banned
thuway said:
Killzone 2's writing was better, but be real here, the facial animations in Killzone 3 kill the second ones. KZ2's facial animations really killed the graphics for me.
What? The cutscenes of KZ3 sucked and so was the facial animation.

The voice work and production values of KZ2 cutscenes >>>>> KZ3 shit. They just looked horrible and were weird as fuck.

Cornbread78 said:

There is always SOCOM!!!! Also, I have been watching some streams of Homefront on PS3 and it looks pretty damn good! It has dedicated servers and looks like it runs pretty damn good. I'm renting, so I will check out the MP. I mean it looks a lot like BC2 mixed with COD but in a good way. Seriously, check it out. I am shocked at how fun it looks!

recorded PS3 stream

Edit: Oh and its said that a much smaller AAA MP game like Homefront can get it right with dedicated servers and a Sony first party game like Kz3 cannot. I mean fuck P2P right up the ass. It pisses me off the Microsoft and COD (on consoles) made P2P the go to for so many MP games. Why ruin your game with lag? At least SOCOM and R3 will have dedicated servers. SMH at GG and KZ3. FTSG!!!!! That being said, I plan on putting in some time with KZ3 today. I have a new puppy and its been taking up all my time taking care of it, lol.

Cornbread78

commish said:
I haven't been following Crysis 2, but I am sad to hear that the online sucks... I read that homefront's wasn't that good either. Too bad. Still looking for an online FPS to hold me until Battlefield 3 (at which time I will abandon all else for 2 years like I did with BF2).

My most missed feature of KZ2 was the custom servers. Oh, you want a 2 hour warzone with no assault on your favorite map? No problem. Easy to find, always full. Now, it's enough for me that I can get into a map that has at least 6 players per side on a map that I don't hate... which is rare :(

Everything about KZ2 empowered the gamer from Clan matches to custom games, to joing friends... I miss $hit, so much fun....

I wish they kept these elements in KZ3.

Atruvius

-viper- said:
What? The cutscenes of KZ3 sucked and so was the facial animation.

The voice work and production values of KZ2 cutscenes >>>>> KZ3 shit. They just looked horrible and were weird as fuck.

I mostly agree, but the facial animation was just horrible in KZ2 and it is much imroved in KZ3. I wonder why did GG change Sev's and Narville's voice actors. Narville sounded so much better and older in KZ2 and Sev's voice actor was also better in KZ2.

Top Bottom