• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Cornbread78

Mikey Jr. said:
Fuck em.

GG had an great multiplayer concept on their hands with KZ2. Some things needed to be tweaked and changed, sure, but overall it was something you couldn't find anywhere else. It was original, and an expansion of it would have been amazing.

Then what do they do for KZ3? Make an MP thats like every single game out there. If I wanted to play Call of Duty, I would play Call of Duty.
Not only that, but a multitude of features that were present in KZ2 were stripped out in KZ3. .

In my opinion, I hope they get a dose of harsh reality. Not because I want them to fail, but because I want them to realize what a gem they had with KZ2, and hopefully use that as a foundation for KZ4. Kinda like what Insomniac is doing with Resistance.

Yeah, see this is EXACTLY it. They f'ed it all up, said they would fix some of it on launch day and still have done NOTHING. Very unfortunate that a game I look forward to spending hundreds of hours online like the previous title, but we get this unpolished game instead. Most of my buddies have moved on to the Socom Beta or anything else at this point. WTF.

Cornbread78

BattleMonkey said:
People really give KZ2 too much credit as being different, when it really wasn't. Same way people keep trying to say KZ3 is like COD.

Name another game as unique and as clan friendly as KZ2 (on consoles of course)

see5harp

I don't know but most of the maps in KZ3 play like complete ass. They got walkways and hallways in KZ3 that are so narrow that you can't even walk around crouching teammates and instead have to jump over their heads. I like the aiming and the way the game feels in KZ3 (even if it's nothing like COD-neither is Crysis 2 besides the killstreaks) but I still feel like Crysis 2 and Killzone 2/3 play a tad clumsy compared to the responsive shooters like Halo, Socom, and COD. You shoot someone and you know they are dead a millisecond after the bullet is fired.

Cornbread78 said:
Name another game as unique and as clan friendly as KZ2 (on consoles of course)

I'm not a console only gamer so to hell with that. I generally stick to PC for all my FPS play. Clan friendliness has no bearing to me nor do I see it having anything to do with the actual gameplay, which was really nothing all that unique or amazing.

Lot of people jumped on KZ2's jock just because it wasn't trying to be like COD at the time.

Dibbz

Oh look people comparing KZ3 to KZ2. How fun. Guys STFU about it. We've heard it a million times already. Go masturbate in the KZ2 thread if you want.

Look. It's no secret that I've thrown my fair share of KZ3 criticism out there for all to see, but I think a lot of you need to take a deep breath, sit back and realise that, like me, when it comes down to it, you'd rather boot up your ps3 and indulge in a game of Warzone than play a shitty, on-rails and grossly unsatisfying game of Blops, a netcode-beyond-repair-clusterfuck game of Crysis 2 and extremely-punishing-learning-curve-wherein-you're-constantly-getting-your-ass-handed-to-you-unless-you-know-the-mechanics-inside-out game of Reach.

GG nailed the gunplay. They nailed the visuals. And they fucking nailed Move implementation. For now, the KZ3 arena is the only online MP arena that I want to play in, even if it does make me rage beyond belief half the time.

Sure, KZ2 was more my type of game, but I'm thankful that there still exists a game that is even remotely like it, so I'm-a enjoy it for what it is.

Dibbz

Yes the DLC is free if you have PS Plus at least in Europe. Not sure about US.

The new 1.07 patch is out today to. It's meant to be good from what I've heard. Lag has been reported to have been reduced a lot. The new Move controls are good melee on Circle finally.

Map rotation fix is coming in the next patch.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Dibbz said:

That's pretty bad, to be honest.

Anyway, I sold my copy of KZ3 back to Amazon, so I shall leave you fine fellows to your game. I will see some of you in Brink next month!

Cornbread78

Dibbz said:
Oh look people comparing KZ3 to KZ2. How fun. Guys STFU about it. We've heard it a million times already. Go masturbate in the KZ2 thread if you want.

Was actually replyign to this post if you read it:

BattleMonkey said:
People really give KZ2 too much credit as being different, when it really wasn't. Same way people keep trying to say KZ3 is like COD.

KZ2 not different? There was no other game like it on consoles; gameplay wise or ammenity wise. So nobody is comparing KZ2 to KZ3 here.

Oh and when I'm done punching the clown in the KZ2 section, I'll launch it your way buddy....

2f03jg9.gif

That's for u, see u on the battlefield.

NHale

Dibbz said:

Unbelievable. Moving the studio to a new facility at the same time as they launched the game clearly screwed the support for this game.

Releasing a beta where most people couldn't connect for at least a week + bad support it's a good formula to kill your community.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Bought the map pack.

No-one can connect to multiplayer due to server issues (either as a result of the update or the hackers anon nonsense).

I also can't boot the Junkyard map from botzone in either Warzone or GW, which is almost certainly a glitch. So I'll just have to wait.

Stahl Arms does look excellent though; it's a simple, clean layout reminiscent of the Vekta Cruiser DLC map in Killzone 2, and should be easy to learn. It's based on the first tutorial stage of the campaign, where you're wandering around the Helghan base. Guerilla Games really wanted to show off their engine's virtues in rendering multiple light sources with that level, and that carries over in its multiplayer incarnation. This could be quite popular, once they fix the map rotation business.

tiddles

Cataferal said:
I also can't boot the Junkyard map from botzone in either Warzone or GW, which is almost certainly a glitch. So I'll just have to wait.

It's the same reason you can't play Turbine in Botzone - no AI for MP bots to use jetpacks...

Cornbread78 said:
Was actually replyign to this post if you read it:

KZ2 not different? There was no other game like it on consoles; gameplay wise or ammenity wise. So nobody is comparing KZ2 to KZ3 here.

Oh and when I'm done punching the clown in the KZ2 section, I'll launch it your way buddy....

That's for u, see u on the battlefield.

I loved KZ2 but seriously it was the same way with all the non-stop complaining but at least for a little while we had a group still playing it, the problem is it's incredibly hard to find a regular gaf group to play anything nowadays, let alone KZ3, everybody just keep moving on to the next MP thing so fast and there's still so much bitching, people are so prone to completely flipping out and having a mental breakdown aka "I'm breaking my disc/sold my game right away/never buy another GG game again/etc/etc" after a bad game, it's getting a bit tiresome, basically I'm not even sure if I want to buy the next MP game because I know in a couple of weeks I won't find a lot of gaffers playing MP since they'll be on the next beta.

Dibbz

Cataferal said:
Bought the map pack.

No-one can connect to multiplayer due to server issues (either as a result of the update or the hackers anon nonsense).

Stahl Arms does look excellent though; it's a simple, clean layout reminiscent of the Vekta Cruiser DLC map in Killzone 2, and should be easy to learn. It's based on the first tutorial stage of the campaign, where you're wandering around the Helghan base. Guerilla Games really wanted to show off their engine's virtues in rendering multiple light sources with that level, and that carries over in its multiplayer incarnation. This could be quite popular, once they fix the map rotation business.
Yeah I can't sign into Killzone.com at all today. Didn't know the online was down on the game to though.

Junkyard looks really good though with the rain and stuff.

Facism

MalboroRed said:
I loved KZ2 but seriously it was the same way with all the non-stop complaining but at least for a little while we had a group still playing it, the problem is it's incredibly hard to find a regular gaf group to play anything nowadays, let alone KZ3, everybody just keep moving on to the next MP thing so fast and there's still so much bitching, people are so prone to completely flipping out and having a mental breakdown aka "I'm breaking my disc/sold my game right away/never buy another GG game again/etc/etc" after a bad game, it's getting a bit tiresome, basically I'm not even sure if I want to buy the next MP game because I know in a couple of weeks I won't find a lot of gaffers playing MP since they'll be on the next beta.

Doesn't help that literally a 3rd of the regular online PS3 clan GAFfers (the ones i consider to matter and are on my friendslist, anyway) bought the game. The rest stayed away whilst the people who bought it deemed it shit or disappointing and dumped it quickly.

Don't forget a lot of us in GAFe/a/w/E regional clans were looking forward to having a game we could all get into again. Didn't work out so well and it's a definate shame.

I know there's rumblings of getting the regular ps3 gaffers together for SOCOM, but that's proper unlikely i reckon. Maybe Resistance 3? I dunno, personally there's nothing coming on the horizon that kinda drew people together like Resistance 1 or KZ2 did. We were still playing GAFe vs GAFa over half a year into the game's release. I missed out on the Resistance clan awesomeness, however :'(

NHale said:
Unbelievable. Moving the studio to a new facility at the same time as they launched the game clearly screwed the support for this game.

Releasing a beta where most people couldn't connect for at least a week + bad support it's a good formula to kill your community.

Beta??? sure in the hell didnt bother me because at midnight, when i bought the "real" game servers worked great!

Facism said:
Doesn't help that literally a 3rd of the regular online PS3 clan GAFfers (the ones i consider to matter and are on my friendslist, anyway) bought the game. The rest stayed away whilst the people who bought it deemed it shit or disappointing and dumped it quickly.

Don't forget a lot of us in GAFe/a/w/E regional clans were looking forward to having a game we could all get into again. Didn't work out so well and it's a definate shame.

I know there's rumblings of getting the regular ps3 gaffers together for SOCOM, but that's proper unlikely i reckon. Maybe Resistance 3? I dunno, personally there's nothing coming on the horizon that kinda drew people together like Resistance 1 or KZ2 did. We were still playing GAFe vs GAFa over half a year into the game's release. I missed out on the Resistance clan awesomeness, however :'(

yeah i heard so much damn complaing prior to killzone 3 even being released I just decided I wouldn't join a GAF clan this time. Been having tons of fun with just 4 of my friends that also got it. If things are settled down and there are just people who dig the game in the clan now I'd definetely join back up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Facism said:

Yeah I've been thinking about games to pick up to start up a clan. I really thought that game was KZ3, but my friends have quickly given this one up. I dunno if Socom would be for everyone, but I think R3 if done right could be great... it's just really far away.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Facism said:

Brink! Socom isn't going to be it. Many folks just don't like it (I haven't played so I pass no judgment).

denomes

Galvanise_ said:
It is unacceptable that its going to take that long to fix. It should have been in the first patch.

Yeah this glitch has been a major bummer and probably really hurt the adoption rate of this game's multiplayer.

That said, I still love the multiplayer in this game and see myself playing for some time, enough to get all the unlocks anyway.

denomes

TrAcEr_x90 said:
yeah i heard so much damn complaing prior to killzone 3 even being released I just decided I wouldn't join a GAF clan this time. Been having tons of fun with just 4 of my friends that also got it. If things are settled down and there are just people who dig the game in the clan now I'd definetely join back up.

Me too. I like to think I'm pretty good, but I've only played casually in pugs. Let me know, I'd love to join a clan. This game seems well-suited to clan play.

EDIT: Sorry for the double.

Guys, I dl the new map pack with for free with my PS+ account but can't find the second map. I can play Stahl Arms but not the other one: impossible to find it in the map selection menu, neither under Warzone, Operations or Guerrilla...

A.R.K

Galvanise_ said:
It is unacceptable that its going to take that long to fix. It should have been in the first patch.

According to MotherH its been really frustrating for them that its taken this long to not get the fix out for the map rotation bug and they really want to get it out ASAP. He said that they were not expecting it to be this hard to fix. This might be some underlying hideous design issue at the heart of it all. Someone at GG royally fucked up the code I must say.

If they could have fixed this easily I am sure they would have patched in the first or second patch. Give them a break.

commish said:
Brink! Socom isn't going to be it. Many folks just don't like it (I haven't played so I pass no judgment).

I don't think Brink is going to be it either, the character designs just look so strange.

jergrah

I finally started this game last night -- playing single player and made it up through the
mech
section. It certainly 'feels' different than KZ2 (which I quite enjoyed) -- though I cant quite put my finger on what or how makes it feel that way.

Anyways, enjoying it so far -- nothing mindblowing, but some good fun to be had.

My one minor complaint thus far was that tutorial/intro section -- man did that go REALLY slow and drag. And I wish when it cut to the action, that instead of a cutscene they would have put you in the action. Like let me control the gun on that truck during the opening scene vs just showing it to me in a video.

Look forward to seeing how the story progresses and moving on to some new environments. I think I saw some jungle picks quite awhile back that looked pretty great.

Massa

UnluckyKate said:
Guys, I dl the new map pack with for free with my PS+ account but can't find the second map. I can play Stahl Arms but not the other one: impossible to find it in the map selection menu, neither under Warzone, Operations or Guerrilla...

The other map is GW-only and also online-only. If you're playing Botzone you won't find it (no jetpacks in Botzone).

Dibbz

UnluckyKate said:
It's Junkyard and it GW only. Gotta play it online though doesn't work in Botzone.

A.R.K

Dibbz said:
It's Junkyard and it GW only. Gotta play it online though doesn't work in Botzone.

are the playstation and killzone forum dead? I can't login and don't see any new posts either on the forums.

how is the 1.0.7 patch?

Dibbz

Think it's Anon hacking Sony's stuff still.

Not tried the new patch but early impressions were positive this morning before everything went down.

jergrah said:
And I wish when it cut to the action, that instead of a cutscene they would have put you in the action. Like let me control the gun on that truck during the opening scene vs just showing it to me in a video.

Killzone 3 suffers hugely in this regard. It's always showing you things that you'd much rather play than watch in a poorly directed cutscene. There are also very little segments of downtime and henceforth, pacing suffers. Its ideology, for the most part, seems to be something along the lines of, "Hurry, hurry, hurry! Get the player to the AWESOME SHOOTOUT ALREADY!" I don't recall ever strolling around with my gun holstered, soaking in the surroundings. I quite like those moments, if done well.

thuway

mickcenary said:
Killzone 3 suffers hugely in this regard. It's always showing you things that you'd much rather play than watch in a poorly directed cutscene. There are also very little segments of downtime and henceforth, pacing suffers. Its ideology, for the most part, seems to be something along the lines of, "Hurry, hurry, hurry! Get the player to the AWESOME SHOOTOUT ALREADY!" I don't recall ever strolling around with my gun holstered, soaking in the surroundings. I quite like those moments, if done well.

I honestly loved Killzone 3's Single Player. The cut scenes were poorly directed, but everything else was fantastic. It was an amazing game.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm sure that using the Move controller without sharpshooter is an annoying way to melee. It was incredibly annoying in MAG (Move controls for melee made me stop using the knife completely).

But with sharpshooter, the forward thrust feels so right to me. It's like plunging a bayonet into the enemy. I am just hoping for new options for jumping....it's a function that's too major to be so difficult to use with the sharpshooter.

Massa

JB1981 said:
so the latest patch did not allow turn speed changes while ADS. is that coming in next patch?

Most likely never. The whole point of balancing ADS/hip firing is moot if they can be tweaked independantly.

patsu

A.R.K said:
are the playstation and killzone forum dead? I can't login and don't see any new posts either on the forums.

how is the 1.0.7 patch?

Works fine for me ! I don't play custom games or Move in KZ3. 8^P

Am eagerly waiting for the new DLC maps though.

patsu

A.R.K said:
According to MotherH its been really frustrating for them that its taken this long to not get the fix out for the map rotation bug and they really want to get it out ASAP. He said that they were not expecting it to be this hard to fix. This might be some underlying hideous design issue at the heart of it all. Someone at GG royally fucked up the code I must say.

If they could have fixed this easily I am sure they would have patched in the first or second patch. Give them a break.

Where did you read this from ? Would like to see what else he said.

JB1981

Massa said:
Most likely never. The whole point of balancing ADS/hip firing is moot if they can be tweaked independantly.

it was included in the list of things that were coming in a patch, though

Top Bottom