• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Massa

ZephyrFate said:
Um... the point being that you should be able to move between DLC maps and normal maps easily.

That could introduce other problems though.

For example, I have one of the two map packs in Uncharted 2 and I've played on it exactly... one time.

As far as I can tell, in Uncharted 2 you have to manually select the DLC option. Problem is, when I do that I can't find matches. So I have to uncheck it and play regular maps instead. That creates an environment where nobody is playing the DLC maps.

I think two welcome changes to the current setup would be:

1) instead of a 50/50 chance of getting a DLC game it should be lower than that, since there are fewer DLC maps.
2) when you quit out of a match in a DLC server the game should remember that and always put you on a non-DLC server for the next round you join.

These are possibly not trivial to implement, and I'm curious about what solution they go with.

I know the KZ2 "vets" here would scream for server lists and whatnot but based on how difficult it was to play the DLC in KZ2 I'm glad they're taking a different approach this time. As annoying as it can be, I can easily play either the original maps or the DLC in KZ3 so there's at least a silver lining there.

patsu said:
LOL. Nice ! ^_^

Radec Academy is not as interesting some other KZ2 or 3 maps though. I agree it's very prone to spawn camping.

Radec Academy is still my favorite KZ2 map tied with Salamun Market, the chokepoints are so clean-cut and well-defined on that map, probably one of the few maps that truly rewards tactical aggressiveness. >:|

casabolg

Banned
MalboroRed said:
Radec Academy is still my favorite KZ2 map tied with Salamun Market, the chokepoints are so clean-cut and well-defined on that map, probably one of the few maps that truly rewards tactical aggressiveness. >:|
I remember Radec Academy being terrible for Search and Destroy though. Mostly because people insisted on playing Radec Academy on 32 players

casabolg

Banned
Basically, Killzone 3 fixed all the issues with Killzone 2 but took out some of the best things about 2: The pacing, the bullet spread, and the server customization.

patsu

lunlunqq said:
I don't have a wii; but I refuse to play another FPS without Move control from now on.

I'm still better in DS3 than Move. :-(

MLB 2011 Homerun Derby in Move is fun though.

casabolg said:
Basically, Killzone 3 fixed all the issues with Killzone 2 but took out some of the best things about 2: The pacing, the bullet spread, and the server customization.

The SP pacing personally is far better in KZ3. In MP the pacing is a bit too fast though for some because of the increased speed and quicker deaths. Most of the problems with the game to me are MP related. They improved many things, but they also screwed up alot of things.

casabolg

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
The SP pacing personally is far better in KZ3. In MP the pacing is a bit too fast though for some because of the increased speed and quicker deaths. Most of the problems with the game to me are MP related. They improved many things, but they also screwed up alot of things.
Ah, well, crap. I was talking about the multiplayer pacing. Should have specified. Sorry.

So I have really been trucking through the single player lately. I'm sure this has been brought up but whats the deal with the sound in the cutscenes?? Doesnt seem like its a problem when I'm playing, but in the cutscenes, the voices are clear but everything else from gunshots to vehicle sounds, sounds like its playing in two channels or something. Very subdued, i notice the most when explosions go off. I also remember some talk about it on the RebelFM podcast. I have a 5.1 channel speaker setup. Am I only supposed to have a certain audio codec checked with killzone 3? Is it super picky?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I haven't had any problems with KZ3 specifically, but I have with other games when I had codecs checked that my receiver couldn't decode. Check the audio options and manually set them.

Dibbz

Anyone with the DLC? What's it like? Does it let you choose other DLC maps at the end of the round (Gracht or Market)?

I've recently acquired the ability to create gifs so I'm going a bit nuts with KZ3 at the moment. So good looking.

mah00124-1hmbi.gif

mah00126qui1.gif

mah00126-2tjm8.gif

casabolg said:
I remember Radec Academy being terrible for Search and Destroy though. Mostly because people insisted on playing Radec Academy on 32 players

It was great for search and destroy as long as your team has the balls to rush the plant area because it will cost you a few lives.

MalboroRed said:

I think the best designed maps in KZ2 are Pyhruss Rise and Helghan Industries. They're perfect for 32 players. Great for S&D too, very fair.

Tharsis Depot has the slickest atmosphere but the map is clearly biased against the helghast side.

casabolg

Banned
MalboroRed said:
It was great for search and destroy as long as your team has the balls to rush the plant area because it will cost you a few lives.
I remember clusters of death going on. Spawn points for some reason in the objective rooms (attacking teams, defending teams, or both), grenade spam on 32 player games, and shooting the defending team out of their spawn.

Dibbz

MalboroRed said:
lol why rush when you can place a spawn on top of the objective.

alr1ghtstart said:
...because you will die as soon as you spawn.

In an ideal world, but it often didn't because you had players spawning on the objectives along with players spawning elsewhere and squad spawning nearby, swarming a single spot all killing each other. Defending was a clusterfuck and it constantly happened in KZ2. Then an idiot on the other team would come and put the spawn grenade on the objective for more stupidity.

Taking away spawn invincibility did not fix the community

Effect said:
For those that have played FPS on the Wii with the wii remote (Metroid Prime, Call of Duty, Goldeneye 007, Red Steel 2, Conduit) and enjoyed them how does the Move compare while playing Killzone 3? Does it hold up well? Are the fundamentals the same and a Wii player can just jump right into the controls or are there differences?

It fundamentally the same system. But Killzone 3 feels much better than any Wii FPS I've played. Guerilla made a fantastic job with KZ3. I also prefer the Move because of a few reasons the button layout. The buttons are more accessible, everything is within reach of the thumb without leaving the Move button, on Wii, when you have to access the dpad, it automatically fucks up your aim.

Another really neat thing about KZ3's controls is that the bounding box are dynamic. Let's say you're aiming at 80% on the right on the screen, if you get back to 70% you'll stay steady. In practice it's both faster to move arround, and the game is more stable. But I must be pretty confusing to read for that point. If you're interested in how GG have implemented the Move controls, I can't only suggest you to check TTP's blog he has made a pretty awesome video about that topic. And the controls have improved even more since then, for exemple you can do the melee move with O now, back then it was only possible with a stab motion which fucks up your aim and doesn't feel great. When pointing at stuff , you want to be as stable as possible.

As far as I'm concerned, dual stick is obsolete now for FPS, Move controls are vastly superior, I can't wait to see more FPS with these kind of controls. And it can only improve, since KZ3 is one of the first game to get it right.

Dibbz

The only problem I have with Move right now is that when I'm is looking up or down in ironsights. I can see why the gun is not fixed to the screen but the bounding box is really big when in ironsights so you basically have to move all the way up or down to adjust the camera.

It's not really a problem for going across the screen as HDTV's are wider than they are tall. Would be nice to have an adjustable bounding box for the ironsights.

Dibbz

H_Prestige said:
Only if you're playing against a completely clueless team. It's not hard to control an enemy spawn placed in a small room.
Most of us played public rooms and the KZ2 community was 100% retarded.

casabolg

Banned
H_Prestige said:
Only if you're playing against a completely clueless team. It's not hard to control an enemy spawn placed in a small room.
Please tell me how to kill every player before one fires a shot or throws a grenade when you're trying to arm the bomb? Once the defending team puts a spawn on it or once anyone puts a spawn on a Capture and Hold spot it is pretty much theirs now.

Dibbz said:
Most of us played public rooms and the KZ2 community was 100% retarded.

I only played public rooms as well. You put a spawn in front of the objective when the other team has turrets, airbots, guys with LMG's, and is constantly bombarding the area with grenades, how do you have a chance? Even if five of you spawn at once it just means the other team is most likely about to score five quick kills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TVQY...eature=related
2:00
3 v. 3 on SnD

Spawn grenades fucked up SnD.

I'm only speaking of full 32 player games. When the player count is that low then obviously the strategy required to win is completely different.

alr1ght

casabolg said:
Please tell me how to kill every player before one fires a shot or throws a grenade when you're trying to arm the bomb? Once the defending team puts a spawn on it or once anyone puts a spawn on a Capture and Hold spot it is pretty much theirs now.

No invincibility = you shotgun them as soon as they appear.

casabolg

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
No invincibility = you shotgun them as soon as they appear.
So you agree with me. Spawn grenades were fucked up. The only solution was spawn campaign and with superior numbers you never was guaranteed to win in that situation.

alr1ght

casabolg said:
So you agree with me. Spawn grenades were fucked up. The only solution was spawn campaign and with superior numbers you never was guaranteed to win in that situation.

no, not at all.

If you were smart, you would place a SG around the corner from the objective, defend it, and have everyone spawn on it. If the opposing team throws a SG in the middle of the objective, a smart opponent would camp the hell out of it.

Luckily, there was multiple ways to spawn. If you were stuck with an absolutely retarded team, well that's too bad. Playing the game badly deserves a loss.

casabolg

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
no, not at all.

If you were smart, you would place a SG around the corner from the objective, defend it, and have everyone spawn on it. If the opposing team throws a SG in the middle of the objective, a smart opponent would camp the hell out of it.
The problem is that many "smart" players wouldn't camp because camping is the obvious taboo that everyone wants to avoid in shooters now. I've seen MANY situations where the influx of people coming out the spawn overpowered people and you just couldn't take places.
There is no strategy in it. It's just who shoots who first and hoping two people don't come in at once or hoping you have grenades for the 16 person team spawning into the area every 10 seconds.
You can't rely game mechanics on whether or not the players are smart enough. It has to work with stupid people and work better with smart players. Not only work with smart players.

Dibbz

H_Prestige said:
I only played public rooms as well. You put a spawn in front of the objective when the other team has turrets, airbots, guys with LMG's, and is constantly bombarding the area with grenades, how do you have a chance? Even if five of you spawn at once it just means the other team is most likely about to score five quick kills.

I'm only speaking of full 32 player games. When the player count is that low then obviously the strategy required to win is completely different.
This is not the KZ2 thread and I know me responding is not helping but come on man look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4c-cJtLmlM&feature=related#t=52s

Look at where the spawn grenades are lol. KZ2 = Brute force your way to victory. Noe such thing as flanking. Just spawn in front of your enemy and hope his spawn goes before yours does.

alr1ght

Dibbz said:
Look at where the spawn grenades are lol. KZ2 = Brute force your way to victory. Noe such thing as flanking. Just spawn in front of your enemy and hope his spawn goes before yours does.

And a good offensive team would not have thrown one there. A good defensive team would have eliminated the usefulness of the spawn right away.

Dibbz

I don't want to get into this debate because it's going to go nowhere as usual.

Can someone with DLC answer my question? Does the Steel Rain pack allow you to play on Salamun Market or Blood Gracht after the round ends?

casabolg

Banned
Dibbz said:
I don't want to get into this debate because it's going to go nowhere as usual.

Can someone with DLC answer my question? Does the Steel Rain pack allow you to play on Salamun Market or Blood Gracht after the round ends?
Yessir.

casabolg

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
And a good offensive team would not have thrown one there. A good defensive team would have eliminated the usefulness of the spawn right away.
Sad how a whole team plan can be ruined by one guy.

alr1ghtstart said:

Only time you ever saw a "good offensive team" was organized clan matches. For the majority general populace, you got clusterfucks of stupid.

Dibbz said:
lol why rush when you can place a spawn on top of the objective.

You have to rush in order to place a spawn on top of the objective, when the other team has the place camped out, the only way to take it is make a mass push, it takes balls and a team that aren't a bunch of K/D whoring chickenshit.

casabolg said:
I remember clusters of death going on. Spawn points for some reason in the objective rooms (attacking teams, defending teams, or both), grenade spam on 32 player games, and shooting the defending team out of their spawn.

When you have both teams fighting for a small area with two chokepoints, you're going to have deaths, that's the point, you have to have the willingness to take it, you have to have the balls to hold it, when you die, you can either spawn back to fight for it, or you can turtle-shit spawn back at the base and fuck up your entire team, that's why Radec Search and Destroy worked, it separated the men from the babies.

alr1ghtstart said:
no, not at all.

Luckily, there was multiple ways to spawn. If you were stuck with an absolutely retarded team, well that's too bad. Playing the game badly deserves a loss.

You're not going to throw the spawn grenade in the middle of the objective, your spawn would have people spawning with their backs against a wall and ready to shoot to kill, even if one of them gets off a grenade it would clear half the room out, the thing with Radec is that you don't have to be cute with your spawn, if your team is smart your tactician would be sufficiently backed up to set a spawn down and there would be enough of the team running interference that you can have people spawn out and overwhelm the area, unless your team is too fucking scared to die. If your tactician and your team is smart you would already have one spawn close enough that the other team wouldn't have enough time to camp the fuck out of that room. It's all about having a team of good players who are perfectly willing to trade a life or two for an overwhelming tactical advantage.

casabolg

Banned
MalboroRed said:
You have to rush in order to place a spawn on top of the objective, when the other team has the place camped out, the only way to take it is make a mass push, it takes balls and a team that aren't a bunch of K/D whoring chickenshit.

When you have both teams fighting for a small area with two chokepoints, you're going to have deaths, that's the point, you have to have the willingness to take it, you have to have the balls to hold it, when you die, you can either spawn back to fight for it, or you can turtle-shit spawn back at the base and fuck up your entire team, that's why Radec Search and Destroy worked, it separated the men from the babies.
See: #6582
I'm sorry, I play FPSs to use my wits and strategy. Not to have some idiots decide whether or not the game is going to work properly or not.
Also, what do you mean fight to hold it? No matter what its held for the time the spawn is down and anyone from the other side can just place another and the conflict will last that time again.

casabolg said:
See: #6582
I'm sorry, I play FPSs to use my wits and strategy. Not to have some idiots decide whether or not the game is going to work properly or not.
Also, what do you mean fight to hold it? No matter what its held for the time the spawn is down and anyone from the other side can just place another and the conflict will last that time again.

My point is your wits and strategy isn't going to be worth jack shit if your team won't back you up, it's a team game.

You fight to hold it, meaning you get that spawn down and your tactician keeps it going even if it means getting shot, you fight until the other team gets overwhelmed and their spawn runs out or they fucking break, you lock the place down and they're not willing to sacrifice to take the room, it's a test of will. The stupid ones usually give up and think maybe it's better to throw the spawn somewhere else and somehow try to get in without having to fight for it but you'll NEVER win S&D in Radec that way, that's the genius of Radec, you can't win by playing it cute, it's like a game of bloody knuckles where the winning side breaks the other side's knuckle and then smashes the other side's face, it's a crucible, you need a team of people who are perfectly willing to give up that 5.0 K/D ratio just to win that one objective, and then do it all over again to win S&D defense, you'll die by grenade, you'll die by shotgun, you'll die when your own turret blows up in your face, but you'll win if you and your team flat out refuse to give up.

casabolg

Banned
MalboroRed said:
My point is your wits and strategy isn't going to be worth jack shit if your team won't back you up, it's a team game.

You fight to hold it, meaning you get that spawn down and your tactician keeps it going, you fight until the other team gets overwhelmed and their spawn runs out and they fucking break, it's a test of will. The stupid ones usually give up and think maybe it's better to throw the spawn somewhere else and somehow try to get in without having to fight it out and you'll never win that way, that's the genius of Radec, you can't win by playing it cute, it's like a game of bloody knuckles where the winning side breaks the other side's knuckle and then smashes the other side's face.
The sad thing is this is not how the game is supposed to play. If this is how the game works then they would not have added spawn invincibility. Hell, they even said the game is supposed to be played with small teams in the level description and the whole reason that this happens is because of the game mechanics and server system.

There is no genius to it. I play Pyrrhus Rise when I hosted Killzone 2 games on 4chan's /v/ and everything worked intelligently until we got to Search and Destroy and Capture and Hold and that is purely because of one idiot on the opposite side putting spawns on the objectives. ISA defending in Pyrrhus Rise and I'm attacking. I tell my friend to put a spawn outside the building behind a container and yet the defending team all play engineer and put their spawn on the objective. If ONE person got a shot out there was a hole in our line. We didn't have enough time and people to put objectives up. We eventually won the objective purely because people on the defending side didn't like the clusterfuck (despite them winning) and left.

There is such a thing as overall strategy and no matter how much teamwork is needed to handle it a grenade spam filled battle where you have you kill the enemy while they spawn on your teammates arming the SnD objectives before they kill them is not a strategic team game like Killzone 2 is otherwise.

They should have just fixed the spawn grenades somehow but there is a reason why there is TSPs instead now.

casabolg said:
The sad thing is this is not how the game is supposed to play. If this is how the game works then they would not have added spawn invincibility. Hell, they even said the game is supposed to be played with small teams in the level description and the whole reason that this happens is because of the game mechanics and server system.

Didn't they remove the spawn invincibility in KZ2?

There is no genius to it. I play Pyrrhus Rise when I hosted Killzone 2 games on 4chan's /v/ and everything worked intelligently until we got to Search and Destroy and Capture and Hold and that is purely because of one idiot on the opposite side putting spawns on the objectives. ISA defending in Pyrrhus Rise and I'm attacking. I tell my friend to put a spawn outside the building behind a container and yet the defending team all play engineer and put their spawn on the objective. If ONE person got a shot out there was a hole in our line. We didn't have enough time and people to put objectives up. We eventually won the objective purely because people on the defending side didn't like the clusterfuck (despite them winning) and left.

WTF does this have to do with RADEC? The other team gave up? What a bunch of chicken-shit.

There is such a thing as overall strategy and no matter how much teamwork is needed to handle it a grenade spam filled battle where you have you kill the enemy while they spawn on your teammates arming the SnD objectives before they kill them is not a strategic team game like Killzone 2 is otherwise.

They should have just fixed the spawn grenades somehow but there is a reason why there is TSPs instead now.

There's overall strategy when your team are all committed to holding that area, you have two tacticians knowing how to time it so the spawn doesn't run out, and the other team is not as well coordinated and their spawn runs out because they can't fucking time it right and they're not willing to sacrifice to defend a spawn.

-viper-

Banned
I've sold this game. Got some good money for it too.

Goodbye Killzone 3. :[

Since the week of release, I haven't even touched the game. Terrible MP maps made me want to never play the game again.

-viper- said:
I've sold this game. Got some good money for it too.

Goodbye Killzone 3. :[

Since the week of release, I haven't even touched the game. Terrible MP maps made me want to never play the game again.
sold mine too after the patch. Didnt fix enough, still glitchy, maps still suck, didnt alter the guns any. Will be some time before i can trust GG enough to buy one of their games again

casabolg

Banned
MalboroRed said:
Didn't they remove the spawn invincibility in KZ2?

WTF does this have to do with RADEC?

There's overall strategy when your team are all committed to holding that area and the other team is not as well coordinated and their spawn runs out because they can't fucking time it right and they're not willing to sacrifice to defend a spawn.
1. They removed spawn invincibility because that was the only way to deal with the way people were playing games. It did not fix the issue but they were hoping it would lessen it.

2. Radec is FAR worse. I used Pyrrhus as an example because it's the majority favorite from KZ2. In Radec on, say, ISA defending their objective is held between one set of stairs. With 32 players and all the shit going on right there already you have a constant amount of enemies that could spawn up at the main base and be shooting at me within 5 seconds. If strategy and wits aren't what the game is about and teamwork is then dammit their brute forcing out from out the spawn en masse with LMG, assault rifles, and grenades really was some considerable teamwork, eh?

I've had some clan guys at the forums tell me that Radec Academy is a bad example to use for a 32 player game because it is not made for 32 players. They told me to use Pyrrhus or Salamun as a better example.

3. There is NO strategy to holding a line. All holding a line is is getting people in the front of the battle and keeping them alive (taking cover and medics). There is strategy in flanking, there is strategy in causing distractions and in suppressing fire. THIS is just enjoying brute forcing your way to victory.
And there were so few examples of that going well and them actually losing the area. They can either put down another 10 feet away or if you attack them head on they can just put a spawn there and if you don't have a shotgun, an LMG, or a spawn point close by you and your squad is fucked if more than 1 squad is spawning in there in their own intervals.

casabolg said:
The problem is that many "smart" players wouldn't camp because camping is the obvious taboo that everyone wants to avoid in shooters now.

Meh. Not when the spawn was on the objective. You'd have to be pretty fucking dumb to be guarding the objective, see red smoke start billowing, and then leave the area. I mean ... did you do that?

Not camping the spawn 'nades that were well-placed was more the taboo in KZ2, imo, because there's really no strategic reason to do it: you're likely needed somewhere else. But if the spawn is on the objective, there's really no better place to be/watch/guard than the smoke.

You can't rely game mechanics on whether or not the players are smart enough. It has to work with stupid people and work better with smart players. Not only work with smart players.

This is certainly true, however.

casabolg

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:
Meh. Not when the spawn was on the objective. You'd have to be pretty fucking dumb to be guarding the objective, see red smoke start billowing, and then leave the area. I mean ... did you do that?
I have moved with my squad to a Capture and Hold point and seen that it was held by 1/3rd of the team with them respawning on it and 4 of them were Tacticians and told my guys that there was no way we could win this and to retreat.
Otherwise, I play leader and try to get people from inside and outside to do different things while I revive them.

casabolg said:
1. They removed spawn invincibility because that was the only way to deal with the way people were playing games. It did not fix the issue but they were hoping it would lessen it.

But it did work, people can't simply throw a spawn expecting to overwhelm the other team on spawn invincibility, you have to make a concerted push, the more co-ordinated team wins, tacticians have to get their spawn timing right, fuck up the spawn grenade timing and the whole thing is fucked.

2. Radec is FAR worse. I used Pyrrhus as an example because it's the majority favorite from KZ2. In Radec on, say, ISA defending their objective is held between one set of stairs. With 32 players and all the shit going on right there already you have a constant amount of enemies that could spawn up at the main base and be shooting at me within 5 seconds. If strategy and wits aren't what the game is about and teamwork is then dammit their brute forcing out from out the spawn en masse with LMG, assault rifles, and grenades really was some considerable teamwork, eh?

You're defending an objective with two defendable chokepoints, accessible by a straight balcony that can be defended, and the room next door with two more chokepoints, both are, once again, defendable, you can't simply spawn on mass (unless your team's timing is perfect) with the lack of invincibility, it's not about just throwing a spawn there and overwhelming everyone, not to mention if you're smart you would already have your own spawn set up so that your flow of players would be way stronger and more consistent, your team would have been set up much earlier, if your team is good you wouldn't be at a disadvantage in terms of weapon composition, not to mention keeping a spawn up in the midst of the chaos takes coordination from two tacticians.

I've had some clan guys at the forums tell me that Radec Academy is a bad example to use for a 32 player game because it is not made for 32 players. They told me to use Pyrrhus or Salamun as a better example.

Salamun is a great 32 player map but Radec works for 32 players, you just die alot more and the team that gives up always loses.

3. There is NO strategy to holding a line. All holding a line is is getting people in the front of the battle and keeping them alive (taking cover and medics). There is strategy in flanking, there is strategy in causing distractions and in suppressing fire. THIS is just enjoying brute forcing your way to victory.
And there were so few examples of that going well and them actually losing the area. They can either put down another 10 feet away or if you attack them head on they can just put a spawn there and if you don't have a shotgun, an LMG, or a spawn point close by you and your squad is fucked if more than 1 squad is spawning in there in their own intervals.

I disagree, the most important thing IS holding the line, it takes coordination and your team must have their shit together to hold the line, if you're good you wouldn't be flanked in the first place, the good thing about Radec is exactly that, it's not a map where you spawn and you can be flanked from ten different directions every which way, you know where exactly to go, where you're most likely to be flanked, and you have an objective that you know you have to work your ass off to win, your team wins only because they can work together and they can endure a test of will and keep their shit together, most teams just cry clusterfuck and give up, and hope to win the next objective, a good team endures, because it can.

Top Bottom