• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Yeah the new maps are hit or miss as far as being full. I either get a room full of people or a room with 1 or 2 people max. It's a shame two since both of them are pretty fun to play. I usually can't stand Guerrilla Warfare, but I like it enough on that map.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't care what anyone says, I am loving this game so far (online) and I am loving the sharpshooter. I put many hours into KZ2, got my 1% badge, ect, and I feel that KZ3 MP is much improved over KZ2 MP.

It took forever to get the right settings for the sharpshooter and figure out how to sit while using it, but now it feels so damn natural. In a typical firefight where me and an enemy see each other at the same time, I win the vast majority of the time.

I am so against buying map packs, but I may actually pick this new one up.

Grinchy said:
I don't care what anyone says, I am loving this game so far (online) and I am loving the sharpshooter. I put many hours into KZ2, got my 1% badge, ect, and I feel that KZ3 MP is much improved over KZ2 MP.

It took forever to get the right settings for the sharpshooter and figure out how to sit while using it, but now it feels so damn natural. In a typical firefight where me and an enemy see each other at the same time, I win the vast majority of the time.

I am so against buying map packs, but I may actually pick this new one up.

The new maps are actually better than the shipped ones.

A.R.K

I know no one cares for this game much any more but ....

Patch 1.08 Contents list:
Fix for DLC map rotation – Matchmaking will make the closest possible match based on the maps players have and other players online. All maps will be included in the map voting when rolling over to the next round
Fix for a network error (5022) after respawning in Pyrrhus Crater
Fix for a crash in Kaznan Jungle at the end of the round
Fix for a crash in 16 user Custom Games on Corinth Highway

finally DLC map fix is coming :)

A.R.K

-viper- said:
Is the community for this game dead?

I am still playing it and can get in to games fine (except the match making bugs like 1vs0 or 1vs4 which they say are fixing). Its still the best FPS despite all the flaws GG introduced. The gun play is unmatched.

Dyno

Still lots of people playing with me (NA.) I've been playing every day and I'm always into a full match very quickly. Then I just stay with that group until I'm done.

I'm playing a lot of Warzone and when both teams are just going in full-bore over some objective pinch-point this game is fucking bananas! Pure carnage, explosions, lot's of smoke, robots, and it all works just so well! I was getting kills that would be worth 300 or 350 points what with all the stuff going on.

Last night I played for 2 hours which equated to three long games of Warzone with minimal wait time between. That ratio of fight : lobby time is by far the best of any MP I've ever played. You get tons and tons of points this way too.

Massa

Was reading the thread about patch 1.08 and there's some interesting comments from GG there:

Q: Are you guys ever going to introduce some kind of visual or audible confirmation of triage taking effect? also what about downed players being able to see if a medic is about?

A: Yes, we are getting indicators for Medics and distance to Medics while wounded on ground again.

Their support for this game has been absolutely fantastic. I've loved it since the open beta and it just keeps getting better and better.

Progmetal

Yah I'm loving it and playing the MP almost every day. Warzone only for the most, and only randoms since I don't have any friends that play.

mr_nothin

Banned
Massa said:
Was reading the thread about patch 1.08 and there's some interesting comments from GG there:

Their support for this game has been absolutely fantastic. I've loved it since the open beta and it just keeps getting better and better.
"Support"?
They're just fixing bugs that should have been addressed long before the game shipped. That and releasing maps, that were already done, as DLC.

Facism

mr_nothin said:
"Support"?
They're just fixing bugs that should have been addressed long before the game shipped. That and releasing maps, that were already done, as DLC.

To be fair, they could of just sat on it. It's clear GG was rushed and some features that were present in KZ2 day 1 couldn't be implemented in time for KZ3 due to the code rewrite for the multiplayer portion. The map rotation bug is a joke, though. Supposedly, Stahl Arms was shown months before the game came out, so disgusting practice if true.

Have they expanded the clan options at all? Any scheduling or even the ability to join clan members who are already ingame?

Game could of done with a few more months incubation.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I really like this game online. It's a shame I don't have enough time to play it online and that the community activity has really hit rockbottom. It really makes it hard to motivate why I should log on and play.

I even platinumed this game last week. :(

Mikey Jr.

I have so many games on my plate that its not even funny.

I have too little time and too little patience to wait for any kinda of saviour patch, if such a thing even exists, which I doubt. The game we are playing now is going to be the same game in 2 years, give or take a few minor stuff. Mark my words. If you love it the way it is now, then thats good news.

Me? I truly was expecting Killzone 2. Thats probably unfair to GG, but after getting to level 35, I realized that this game was not for me, and was not made for those who loved Killzone 2. Never thought I would say that, but there you go.

Officially trading it in today after shelving it for a good 3 weeks. Maybe I'll pick it up again when it hits greatest hits.

The single player though was fucking great, and GG really did a 180 there in my opinion.

tiddles

Facism said:
Supposedly, Stahl Arms was shown months before the game came out

The single-player version perhaps, but the DLC definitely not - it shares many of the same assets, but the layout, lighting etc of the MP map is completely new, ie. created from scratch after the disc version is finished or nearly finished.

patsu

Mikey Jr. said:
Me? I truly was expecting Killzone 2. Thats probably unfair to GG, but after getting to level 35, I realized that this game was not for me, and was not made for those who loved Killzone 2. Never thought I would say that, but there you go.

Well, I know a guy who only played KZ2 all the time. He plays KZ3 without any complain, and in fact only plays KZ3 now. Different strokes for different folks. I personally think KZ3 is better than KZ2 but hope they fix the tech issues in KZ2 and 3, like matchmaking. I don't post much but I think the KZ3 community is still there and growing. These days you can find better comrades and enemies. So I have to step up my game too.

tiddles

A.R.K said:
I know no one cares for this game much any more but ....

finally DLC map fix is coming :)

Patch 1.08 is live btw (at least in EU) - so now you can enjoy the novelty of playing Salamun District followed by a DIFFERENT map ;)

JB1981

Massa said:

LOL

It took them over 2 months to patch map rotation. They released a beta as finished product. The game is an unbalanced joke.

Denog: are you in the Gears 3 beta?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
JB1981 said:
LOL

It took them over 2 months to patch map rotation. They released a beta as finished product. The game is an unbalanced joke.

@JB - Nope. I am back to peasant status when it comes to Gears perks. When does it open for all?

patsu

JB1981 said:
LOL

I think that's too harsh. The game is certainly not a joke. And I don't find it particularly unbalance.

JB1981 said:
LOL

Outside of the map rotation problem (which they have admitted to just having problems getting fixed), the game has been pretty solid.

The maps suck though for the most part, but that is a design problem.

patsu

Will 1.08 rotate to the PS+ maps automatically ? Or do I have to choose them explicitly ?

EDIT: Just checked in US. Yes, 1.08 is live now. Can't play during office hour though.

X-Frame

I'm sure GG are doing the best they could with what they were given. Maybe KZ3 on the drawing board was a bit ambitious given the time constraints from Sony but I am happy things are being patched.

Hopefully once custom-games are 100% function I can come back. That's the biggest thing to me. Standard MM settings with no option to adjust classes, time limits, etc is a big turn-off.

Smokey

I got a Samsung D8000 3DTV last weekend and have started this game over with the DS3. I'm enjoying it MUCH more with a pad than I was with the Move, not to mention I love the 3D effect. I've had this since launch and didn't get very far in it and didn't even touch MP, so now sounds like the perfect time to hop on it.

tiddles

patsu said:
Will 1.08 rotate to the PS+ maps automatically ? Or do I have to choose them explicitly ?

EDIT: Just checked in US. Yes, 1.08 is live now. Can't play during office hour though.

If you have your preferences set to ANY, then you should generally see any DLC maps you've bought appearing in the voting list at the end of a round (along with the default maps).

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
tiddles said:
Patch 1.08 is live btw (at least in EU) - so now you can enjoy the novelty of playing Salamun District followed by a DIFFERENT map ;)
Could you share any technical detail about that bug?
It seems to be one of those 'bug from hell' that every project has :3

tiddles

Fersis said:
Could you share any technical detail about that bug?
It seems to be one of those 'bug from hell' that every project has :3

It's a bug that any team out there would be relieved to have had fixed :)

JB1981

tiddles said:
If you have your preferences set to ANY, then you should generally see any DLC maps you've bought appearing in the voting list at the end of a round (along with the default maps).

Does this patch offer ability to adjust aiming speed while aiming down sight ?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Facism said:
Supposedly, Stahl Arms was shown months before the game came out, so disgusting practice if true.

Utterly false. Sometimes I wonder why we even bother with DLC maps after the game is done. No DLC maps and people will complain about there not being enough maps; Yes DLC maps and people will claim they were already done and should've been included on the disc. Even the first map pack that was available day one was not something that was done on time when the disc was finalized - otherwise it would've just been on the disc and the dlc merely being an unlock code. People are still working now on maps, but some of you will still somehow think they were done ages ago.

see5harp

patsu said:
I think that's too harsh. The game is certainly not a joke. And I don't find it particularly unbalance.

Agreed the game a pretty good all around package. Don't act like they aren't fixing bugs that shouldn't exist though. I don't think it's fair to give them props for fixing stuff that makes their [paid] DLC work properly.

JB1981

see5harp said:
Agreed the game a pretty good all around package. Don't act like they aren't fixing bugs that shouldn't exist though. I don't think it's fair to give them props for fixing stuff that makes their [paid] DLC work properly.

I guess I'm a little bitter about the direction the multiplayer took. It's not a terrible game, can be fun with the right people, but I kind of jumped ship a while ago and so did a lot of other people. I will probably check this latest patch out because it does offer a certain type of multiplayer that you can't find elsewhere and for that I guess it is worth playing, at times.

patsu

see5harp said:

I don't think people are acting. The glaring map rotation bug will be fixed with or without DLC since it affects built-in and free maps as well.

Also, I can give them props anytime *I* feel they are doing the right thing or delivered a great piece of work, even if there are bugs in KZ3. Thank you. ^_^

whats up with "is this game dead"??? I see way more of my friends playing this and I'm close to level 30 now. never put this much time into a game so fast. I think this game will do better than kz2 in longevity.

tiddles

JB1981 said:
Does this patch offer ability to adjust aiming speed while aiming down sight ?

I don't think this is going to be added - there was already an under-the-hood tweak to ADS speeds in a previous patch, and the patch notes for that confused some folks (including me...) by making it sound like you would be able to tweak the values yourself - but that's not the case. I'm not sure we'd add this anyway, as the relationship between the ADS and hipfire turn speeds is kinda part of the weapon balance...

see5harp

patsu said:
I don't think people are acting. The glaring map rotation bug will be fixed with or without DLC since it affects built-in and free maps as well.

Also, I can give them props anytime *I* feel they are doing the right thing or delivered a great piece of work, even if there are bugs in KZ3. Thank you. ^_^

You can. Every game has bugs of some kind. I just find the way they've released DLC....DLC at launch, and within 2 months another paid DLC to be sorta ridiculous. Even the biggest games out there with the largest hardcore audience don't pull shit like that, especially when there are still issues with the map rotations.

patsu

You don't have to buy the DLCs you know. (I mean I don't write an angry mail to Macy's to complain they are giving my wife too many things to buy).

Wait for promo if you want. Or the PS+ folks get them for free anyway.

see5harp said:
You can. Every game has bugs of some kind. I just find the way they've released DLC....DLC at launch, and within 2 months another paid DLC to be sorta ridiculous. Even the biggest games out there with the largest hardcore audience don't pull shit like that, especially when there are still issues with the map rotations.

well the first DLC was super easy to get ahold of, so peopel who paid for it, sucks for them i guess. You got the maps free for every kind of preorder, there was that slurpee thing going on and other stuff...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Tempy said:
Utterly false. Sometimes I wonder why we even bother with DLC maps after the game is done. No DLC maps and people will complain about there not being enough maps; Yes DLC maps and people will claim they were already done and should've been included on the disc. Even the first map pack that was available day one was not something that was done on time when the disc was finalized - otherwise it would've just been on the disc and the dlc merely being an unlock code. People are still working now on maps, but some of you will still somehow think they were done ages ago.

please ship a game with more than 6 warzone maps.

tiddles

see5harp said:

Launch day DLC is hardly unusual... Generally there's a reasonable period of time between a game being in its near final state (and thus most people's work on it being finished) and the game hitting the shelves (after duplication and distribution) - developers will often work on DLC in this period, which is surely preferable to having them sit around twiddling their thumbs. Whether you consider that DLC something you would like to buy is a different matter, and of course entirely up to you.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Going to jump into this yet again after finishing off Portal 2 and Yakuza 4. Is map rotation still an issue at this point?

see5harp

tiddles said:
Launch day DLC is hardly unusual... Generally there's a reasonable period of time between a game being in its near final state (and thus most people's work on it being finished) and the game hitting the shelves (after duplication and distribution) - developers will often work on DLC in this period, which is surely preferable to having them sit around twiddling their thumbs. Whether you consider that DLC something you would like to buy is a different matter, and of course entirely up to you.

Launch day DLC for a shooter is rare when it's something as integral as maps. I don't care when the content was made I just don't think that the mappack really helped them with playerbase. Maybe all of the cross promotions made them more money than if they would have just released them a couple months later. All I know is that very few people if any on my friendlist is playing this game anymore. Not sure why but the bugs didn't help.

Facism

Tempy said:

That's fair enough. It was just some chatter floating about and i thought i'd mention it in the hopes a dev or 2 would bite and correct me if necessary. Which you have, and I appreciate that.

I think complaints about not having enough maps comes from the fact that games these days ship with fucking piddling amounts of maps. You'll have to forgive me as someone who comes from a background of Quake, Unreal Tournament, TFC, Natural Selection etc. Sure, they're clearly multiplayer games and don't have resources "wasted" on a single player campaign and whatnot, and the devs can afford to hit us with 40 maps + 40 more over the lifespan of the game for no extra charge. Sure that kind of strategy won't fly in the console space with all the competition and issues with used sales and prices dropping like rocks, but i'm a dinosaur who remembers better times ;p

I personally feel that 8 maps is a stingy amount for console online FPS, irregardless of their quality. This is just my opinion as a paying customer of yours and i hope you don't take it personally or with any bitterness considering my general opinion, which has been stated often enough, not being completely positive towards KZ3. I enjoyed the singleplayer, even with all it's audio and pacing issues. The core gameplay is some of the best in the genre.

Anyway, no harm meant.

Top Bottom