• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

casabolg said:
I have moved with my squad to a Capture and Hold point and seen that it was held by 1/3rd of the team with them respawning on it and 4 of them were Tacticians and told my guys that there was no way we could win this and to retreat.
Otherwise, I play leader and try to get people from inside and outside to do different things while I revive them.

4 tacticians with only two spawn grenades to play with, when your team can have two tacticians and more fire power.

So you just gave up, no wonder you don't enjoy a map like Radec.

casabolg

Banned
MalboroRed said:
4 tacticians with only two spawn grenades to play with, when your team can have two tacticians and more fire power.

So you just gave up, no wonder you don't enjoy a map like Radec.
No, one third of the team was in there. 4 people of that group were Tacticians. I only had four guys and the medic cooldown is too fucking long in KZ2 for me and my 3 others in my squad to stand. or at least get over there once we died.

I thought it would be best since my team was fighting it out for the middle Capture and Hold target in Radec that if I can get my team to slip by them and take their back spawn then it would get their attention and split their forces. There was no way for my team to win at the back spawn due to the spawn and their superior numbers no matter how well my four person team played.

casabolg

Banned
MalboroRed said:
But it did work, people can't simply throw a spawn expecting to overwhelm the other team on spawn invincibility, you have to make a concerted push, the more co-ordinated team wins, tacticians have to get their spawn timing right, fuck up the spawn grenade timing and the whole thing is fucked.

You're defending an objective with two defendable chokepoints, accessible by a straight balcony that can be defended, and the room next door with two more chokepoints, both are, once again, defendable, you can't simply spawn on mass (unless your team's timing is perfect) with the lack of invincibility, it's not about just throwing a spawn there and overwhelming everyone, not to mention if you're smart you would already have your own spawn set up so that your flow of players would be way stronger and more consistent, your team would have been set up much earlier, if your team is good you wouldn't be at a disadvantage in terms of weapon composition, not to mention keeping a spawn up in the midst of the chaos takes coordination from two tacticians.

Salamun is a great 32 player map but Radec works for 32 players, you just die alot more and the team that gives up always loses.

I disagree, the most important thing IS holding the line, it takes coordination and your team must have their shit together to hold the line, if you're good you wouldn't be flanked in the first place, the good thing about Radec is exactly that, it's not a map where you spawn and you can be flanked from ten different directions every which way, you know where exactly to go, where you're most likely to be flanked, and you have an objective that you know you have to work your ass off to win, your team wins only because they can work together and they can endure a test of will and keep their shit together, most teams just cry clusterfuck and give up, and hope to win the next objective, a good team endures, because it can.

I'll answer each section piece by piece.
1. I've hosted games on 4chan about it. Everyone was fans of the series and never liked it when it turned into a clusterfuck. The ONLY time there is enough teamwork to get this to work is either in clan games now or in public games in KZ2 now that there is nothing but the small core community left.
It seems like only clan people seem to be the ones who think that this is some sort of overwhelming genius that you need to be hardcore to understand when it's just a broken game element that people are dealing with. Hell, I played MGO. I know when shit is broken.

2. I rarely play Tactician in KZ2 now. I'm a medic now. I don't want to have the flow of the game ruined by other people. When boost was removed in 3 there were people happy and there were people sad they couldn't be a boost Tactician anymore. Hell, there were people defending in the clan community that boosting Tacticians were a good thing.
You talk about teamwork but you don't realize that teamwork should make the game better, not be the only time the game can be performed correctly. From everyone complaining about grenade spam, camping, and all sorts of things in the game you'd think that you couldn't leave whether or not the game would work correctly or not to people playing one class.

3. No, Radec is not a 32 player map. Guerrilla admits this. That is why they said in the description of Radec that it is a small team map and while 3 was being developed said that they will make all maps work correctly on max players compared to 2. That's just not correct, man.

4. That last paragraph is just pathetic though. You basically admit to and praise brute force play strategy and admit to what I said. It's nothing but putting people on the front lines and trying to stay alive with little repercussion because there is a spawn right behind you.

casabolg said:
No, one third of the team was in there. 4 people of that group were Tacticians. I only had four guys and the medic cooldown is too fucking long in KZ2 for me and my 3 others in my squad to stand. or at least get over there once we died.

I thought it would be best since my team was fighting it out for the middle Capture and Hold target in Radec that if I can get my team to slip by them and take their back spawn then it would get their attention and split their forces. There was no way for my team to win at the back spawn due to the spawn and their superior numbers no matter how well my four person team played.

What do you mean you only have 4 guys? If they have 16 guys and you have 4 then you're not in a balanced game to begin with, it has nothing to do with whether you're playing on Radec or not, a good team with overwhelmingly superior number should win unless they're total fucking idiots.

casabolg said:
I'll answer each section piece by piece.
1. I've hosted games on 4chan about it. Everyone was fans of the series and never liked it when it turned into a clusterfuck. The ONLY time there is enough teamwork to get this to work is either in clan games now or in public games in KZ2 now that there is nothing but the small core community left.
It seems like only clan people seem to be the ones who think that this is some sort of overwhelming genius that you need to be hardcore to understand when it's just a broken game element that people are dealing with. Hell, I played MGO. I know when shit is broken.

So your friends at 4chan never like it when they started dying and you would complain that shit is broken?

2. I rarely play Tactician in KZ2 now. I'm a medic now. I don't want to have the flow of the game ruined by other people. When boost was removed in 3 there were people happy and there were people sad they couldn't be a boost Tactician anymore. Hell, there were people defending in the clan community that boosting Tacticians were a good thing.
You talk about teamwork but you don't realize that teamwork should make the game better, not be the only time the game can be performed correctly. From everyone complaining about grenade spam, camping, and all sorts of things in the game you'd think that you couldn't leave whether or not the game would work correctly or not to people playing one class.

You're not answering my point at all, and you're not even making any sense, the S&D objectives on Radec are very much defendable if you have good tacticians and your team is on the same page, both objectives can be taken and dominated, if your teammates have their shit together, teamwork does make the game better for you, especially on Radec, it doesn't matter whether you want to play tactician or medic as long as you have two good tacticians on your team, if you team doesn't have the right mix of classes then your team deserves to lose because your team can't get their shit together.

3. No, Radec is not a 32 player map. Guerrilla admits this. That is why they said in the description of Radec that it is a small team map and while 3 was being developed said that they will make all maps work correctly on max players compared to 2. That's just not correct, man.

Radec is available for 32 player games, by definition it's a 32 player map, get your facts straight.

4. That last paragraph is just pathetic though. You basically admit to and praise brute force play strategy and admit to what I said. It's nothing but putting people on the front lines and trying to stay alive with little repercussion because there is a spawn right behind you.

What's pathetic is how you can't seem to grasp the idea that when you have one team willing to keep fighting and the other team giving up and crying about shit, the team with the better player flow and more determination inevitably wins, oh well, let's bitch about KZ2 since you don't want to fight through a chokepoint in order to take an objective.

casabolg

Banned
MalboroRed said:
So your friends at 4chan never like it when they started dying and you would complain that shit is broken?

You're not answering my point at all, and you're not even making any sense, the S&D objectives on Radec are very much defendable if you have good tacticians and your team is on the same page, both objectives can be taken and dominated, if your teammates have their shit together, teamwork does make the game better for you, especially on Radec, it doesn't matter whether you want to play tactician or medic as long as you have two good tacticians on your team, if you team doesn't have the right mix of classes then your team deserves to lose because your team can't get their shit together.

Radec is available for 32 player games, by definition it's a 32 player map, get your facts straight.

What's pathetic is how you can't seem to grasp the idea that when you have one team willing to keep fighting and the other team giving up and crying about shit, the team with the better player flow and more determination inevitably wins, oh well, let's bitch about KZ2 since you don't want to fight through a chokepoint in order to take an objective.
1. No, we don't like it when the flow and atmosphere of the battle is completely broken and we can't do anything about but focus all our attention to dealing with it instead of dealing with the people coming from the main base, doing the objective, or otherwise.

2. So you're telling me that you can't play the game correctly without having all the people in a 16 v. 16 game to be coordinated with each other, even though there is no dedicated team chat between all 16 players? So you're saying I deserve to have a bad time jumping into a public game with two of my friends on my squad and working with them simply because I can't control the other 13 people on my team through proximity chat? So you believe that the game can't be performed correctly unless done through a clan match.
Well then lets revert you to that one line I've been repeating before you even got into this discussion: You cannot have game mechanics work simply on if the players are smart and coordinated. The game must work with stupid people and would considerably better with smart people. This holds true to all of the most team based and hardcore games out there. Even games like Quake and Armored Core.

3. Again, the level itself says that it is supposed to be played with small amounts of players and Guerrilla Games admits to making maps not made for the max amount of players. You can play Call of Duty 4 on Shipment on the PC with max players. That does not make it a 64 player map.

4. What bothers me is that you apply a broken aspect, the fact that no matter how many people you clear out they will keep spawning on the front line and have the potential to put another spawn down and stay there for longer if you don't have a sufficient amount of people to kill every possible that jumps out at random before they can pull a shot off in a game were people have a fairly large amount of health already, as some form of genius and hardcore playing.
Spawn grenades were put into the game so the flow of the battle could be changed from game to game. It made things original and fun, allowing it to be mixed up. So people knew to keep a distance from it spawn invincibility was placed on the people coming out and because of people abusing it that turned it into the shit it is now which is why it was removed (when it should have been fixed instead).
With spawn grenades it becomes a clusterfuck (in your words: a battle of will) and worse of all, it doesn't require any challenge. No skill whatsoever. You die taking a base? Just spawn again and keep shooting. As long as they don't get all of their guys around your spawn (which wouldn't happen anyway because they aren't just spawning there and they can shoot any enemies off of the spawn or at least deal with them all at once with a grenade.) you're fine and you don't have to worry about surviving or teamwork as long as there is one guy ready to toss out another spawn and there is still people coming out.

fernoca

Any way of knowing the the maps will disappear once my Plus expires next month?
They seem to be on the same file as the rest of the maps/updates and there's no expiration date... :/

ZeroRay

fernoca said:
Any way of knowing the the maps will disappear once my Plus expires next month?
They seem to be on the same file as the rest of the maps/updates and there's no expiration date... :/

Add-ons don't expire, I believe. Only full games do.

Dibbz

Oh shit this was just posted on the PS Blog.

Helghast Invade Your Toy Shelf

5612996250_f8779327f2_z.jpg

I always wanted a Helghast marksman, and didnt't like the half clocked version that came with the cat helmet edition. Looks awesome.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
OK, I went on hiatus, took a break played others games, HomeFront = LOL, lets just leave it at that, and Crysis 2 = Meh, could've been better

So last night around Midnight I boot up game, already installed new DLC, try to earn the new 7 shiny trophies

I pick Junkyard first, I get in a game that's 6 vs. 2, and I'm put on the 6 side team....orz (/.\)

So now 7 vs. 2, takes the game almost 10+ minutes to populate 2 people for the other side

So now 7 vs. 4, I get in EXO, spot Jetpack dude flying, pop pop, Trophy Pings

Next turn to the kill with 5 different weapon set (primary or secondary, etc,), takes me 3 minutes to kill with different guns, trophy pings

For the hell of it, through this match, I kept track of what classes I killed, MRKS, MEDI, TACT, INFI were easily taken down, but no ENGI found at all
(So I died, became ENGI and completely fixed every crate to help my team, just as I finished with the last one, on my map I saw an enemy blow up a crate box and started fixing it, my plan worked, ran up to him, brutal melee, trophy pings)

Match starts a new, now it's populating the room, it's 7 vs. 6, I get on JetPack duty and keep hoping to get the Jetpack to EXO kill, it takes until 50% of our BodyCount bar to be filled up before one of the enemies gets in one
Someone from my team shoots a rocket launcher @ it, but it hits the ground (thank god), the splash damage makes it start smoking, I boost into the air, hover, start shooting, EXO dead, trophy pings

4 out of 7 trophies done

Now the crazy part

I look for a Stahl Room (WarZone), it takes up to 1.5+ minutes searching, but finally get put into a room
It's me alone in there, game is running?
So the objectives were called out, I kept doing them, hoping for someone to join....5 games later I got fucking bored of being alone and it felt like cheating upping my medal count lol and XP
I back out after 6th game, search again, get thrown into someone's game who also was doing what I was doing, it took 20 minutes for game to end, then the room populated to 6+ when next round started

I quickly ran to the turret area, fixed it, and pressed to use it, maybe half a tick later, I spot MRKS running across bridge going towards the MRKS crow nest, I blast away @ him, trophy pings

For some reason, the room kicks out 4+ players, but quickly repopulates with 7 new people with-in 45 seconds, I start working on the ribbons, and 1/3rd of the way through, BAM! trophy pops

Now the Triple Kill trophy alludes me, my team loses 2 people, the other side gain 2 people, so now it's 7 vs. 4, me being on the 4 side

The other team starts heavily camping, hiding behind corners, waiting for free kills, I watch as a duo team of clan guys working in tandem, MEDI/TACT, staying camped at a corner right by the spawn point, so I flank them, plop 2 mines around the bend, just as I placed the second one, a third dude arrives, he triggers the mines, 2 drop, MEDI is hurt not dead, I see the word double kill being spelled out on my screen, I quickly burst my rifle and blow up his MEDI-Bot, in doing so, kill him with the blow back, get Triple Kill on my screen, trophy pings

7 out of 7 trophies for DLC done.
Took 2.5 hours =/.

The game didn't get fixed for shit, still the stupid shit of not balancing still there
The new map pack rooms are fucking empty as fuck
Game starts a ranked game with 1 person, WTF?

Oh remember the Schick points thing, hehe:

11vu14m.jpg

I have 22 unlock points, sitting there, hoping new gun unlocks/whatever the fuck gets added
@ Rank 30, fully unlocked =]

Massa

I have to say Stahl Arms is probably my favorite map in the game. It's just great.

So the objectives were called out, I kept doing them, hoping for someone to join....5 games later I got fucking bored of being alone and it felt like cheating upping my medal count lol and XP

It took you 5 games to get bored of it???

I played practically only the DLC yesterday and today, with the exception of a couple of rounds with a friend of the originals. No problems at all finding full games, but then I just quit and try again if the matchmaking system fails...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Massa said:
It took you 5 games to get bored of it???

No 5 games being all ALONE, it was just me waiting for others to come into the room

I just kept doing the objectives for shit's n' giggles, got good XP and it helped up objective requirements lol >_>;

Thank god Stahl has 3+ ways of escaping, no way you can lock down a spawn, there's always a way out

First map I can say, that looks like some thought process was put into it

I think the middle TSA inside the the tower is a huge camping area, it should be placed outside, next to the ships, more open, less prevalent to being camped, spawn guys behind the ships, for a safer spawn
(Dudes camped @ the stairs top/below, your back is to them, by the time your game registers the hitmarkers = you dead, very stupid to be placed there)

Massa

You never wait for people to join a room in Killzone 3. It's pointless, all the servers have the same settings. Also, XP farming is boring. :p

Now, in a game like Killzone 2 you pick a server based on the settings you prefer. In that case you may not have alternatives other than waiting if you want that particular setting. In Killzone 3 you judge the player population of a server in the first minute you're on it; if it sucks (too few players, players too dumb, etc), quit game and try again.

LEGGZZZZ

Seriously what the fuck is up with the matchmaking? I might still play the game but the Map Bug and MM are just ridiculous after being out for around two months. When the hell is that patch coming to fix those issues? So disappointed in this game.

patsu

I played Stahl's Arm tonight. It reminds me of the Boulevard map. Both are very pretty but Stahl's Arm is bigger and more open.

My games are all occupied except for the last one when people quit out at the end of the game. So I had to search for a new Warzone.

The other new map is for Guerilla Warfare right ?

Yes, they should fix the matchmaking and map rotation bug.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Massa said:
That could introduce other problems though.

For example, I have one of the two map packs in Uncharted 2 and I've played on it exactly... one time.

As far as I can tell, in Uncharted 2 you have to manually select the DLC option. Problem is, when I do that I can't find matches. So I have to uncheck it and play regular maps instead. That creates an environment where nobody is playing the DLC maps.

If this is happening than it means too few people are buying the DLC for it to even be justifiable as "for pay" content.

Most games don't have a player base the size of COD that can support every combination of map pack ownership in a regular group of playlists. Even Halo 3 resorted to locking you out of particular playlists if you didn't buy certain maps which was atrocious (though they seemed to have ditched that policy the last time I played it before Reach came out).

If people are buying these maps and cannot easily get into games with them, than they shouldn't be for sale. It is particularly heinous in this case since it is taking so long just to iron out whatever the issue is with map rotation. Even the free preorder remake maps seem to have problems. I don't know how this came to be since I never had a problem in KZ2 unless I accidentally logged into a server that was a constant Radec rotation.

I really hope they sort things out with this game but this a shooter heavy year. It won't be long before something else grabs my attention.

Dyno

Got back into Killzone 3 MP last night and overall I think it is the best MP of all the shooters to come out recently. Warzone is amazing because you're in the fight for 40 min - 1 hr and then in the lobby for less than a minute.

So here I'll say for the next while.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't help but pop this game in from time to time. The whole thing just feels so damn good to play (especially with Move). I've never really enjoyed motion controls for shooters and it seems that was simply due to the way the Wii handled its boundaries. Move feels more reliable and smoother overall and is a pleasure to use.

Still, anyone feel as if the campaign is just too segmented for its own good? I feel as if they are simply too afraid to commit to any single type of gameplay for too long so you're hit with cutscenes every few minutes and a constant change in what you are doing. This is typically viewed as a positive thing, but they rush things too quickly. This is one game that would have actually benefited from a bit of padding. Extending some of the combat sections would have done wonders and made the unique bits feel special.

I also wish they had handled cutscenes a bit differently. Switching between FMV and gameplay is quite jarring. I've experienced plenty of recent games which were able to seamlessly move between realtime and video. Games such as Mass Effect 2 and FFXIII switch between the two effortlessly. Would love to have seen that in KZ3.

BeeDog

dark10x said:
I can't help but pop this game in from time to time. The whole thing just feels so damn good to play (especially with Move). I've never really enjoyed motion controls for shooters and it seems that was simply due to the way the Wii handled its boundaries. Move feels more reliable and smoother overall and is a pleasure to use.

Still, anyone feel as if the campaign is just too segmented for its own good? I feel as if they are simply too afraid to commit to any single type of gameplay for too long so you're hit with cutscenes every few minutes and a constant change in what you are doing. This is typically viewed as a positive thing, but they rush things too quickly. This is one game that would have actually benefited from a bit of padding. Extending some of the combat sections would have done wonders and made the unique bits feel special.

I also wish they had handled cutscenes a bit differently. Switching between FMV and gameplay is quite jarring. I've experienced plenty of recent games which were able to seamlessly move between realtime and video. Games such as Mass Effect 2 and FFXIII switch between the two effortlessly. Would love to have seen that in KZ3.

I replayed the game on Elite and finished it today (earning the Platinum trophy), but I'd say I agree with you in regards to the segmentation. Some of the earlier parts are a bit too abrupt (like the green trench part on Pyrrhus Evac, over in like 5 minutes!), but the game clearly improves later on; the last two stages (the Junkyard and the last stage) are straight up shooting stages and quite lengthy too, and actually feel like the best stages simply because the actual shooting in this game's fantastic.

So yeah, now that I've replayed it, I fully agree with you, though I still love the game. It has the best gunplay (lol buzzword :p) in a shooter this generation by far... though I didn't actually play through the campaign with the Move controller. -_-

Speaking of the cutscenes, the FMV bothered me a bit but probably not as much as it bothered you. Coming back from Crysis 2, Killzone 3 is such a more coherent and straight-forward story despite all the flak it has gotten. The cutscenes lack polish, for sure, but at least it's coherent in a way Crysis 2 fails at (enormously); stages are connected well (aside from the snow vehicle section) and the story's clear enough and the script's better than in Crysis 2.

denomes

Dyno said:
Got back into Killzone 3 MP last night and overall I think it is the best MP of all the shooters to come out recently. Warzone is amazing because you're in the fight for 40 min - 1 hr and then in the lobby for less than a minute.

I agree fully. Played with a friend last night after getting sidetracked by Borderlands for a while. Map glitch appears to be fixed. No lag or issues connecting.

We tore it up, was great fun.

Dyno

denomes said:
I agree fully. Played with a friend last night after getting sidetracked by Borderlands for a while. Map glitch appears to be fixed. No lag or issues connecting.

We tore it up, was great fun.

I love the classes too! For Tactician and Medic I unlocked what I think to be the sweet spot for upgrades and now I'm ready to move on. You carve out your optimal version of the class and don't get stuck with extras. It's very basic and yet satisfying.

casabolg said:
1. No, we don't like it when the flow and atmosphere of the battle is completely broken and we can't do anything about but focus all our attention to dealing with it instead of dealing with the people coming from the main base, doing the objective, or otherwise.
Of course you won't like it when you can't do anything about anything.

2. So you're telling me that you can't play the game correctly without having all the people in a 16 v. 16 game to be coordinated with each other, even though there is no dedicated team chat between all 16 players? So you're saying I deserve to have a bad time jumping into a public game with two of my friends on my squad and working with them simply because I can't control the other 13 people on my team through proximity chat? So you believe that the game can't be performed correctly unless done through a clan match.

I'm telling you if your team isn't smart and co-ordinated, against a good, co-ordinated team with their shit together you're going to get your asses kicked if you only have two of your friends in one squad, and your team is to blame not the game.

Well then lets revert you to that one line I've been repeating before you even got into this discussion: You cannot have game mechanics work simply on if the players are smart and coordinated. The game must work with stupid people and would considerably better with smart people. This holds true to all of the most team based and hardcore games out there. Even games like Quake and Armored Core.

But it does work with stupid people, they just can't win against smart and coordinated people, that should be the expected outcome.

3. Again, the level itself says that it is supposed to be played with small amounts of players and Guerrilla Games admits to making maps not made for the max amount of players. You can play Call of Duty 4 on Shipment on the PC with max players. That does not make it a 64 player map.

If the map is supposed to be played with small number of players given you can only coordinate a handful of people working with you it should work better for you, but it doesn't, it FAVORS the team with the ability to amass a larger number of people at a few key spots.

4. What bothers me is that you apply a broken aspect, the fact that no matter how many people you clear out they will keep spawning on the front line and have the potential to put another spawn down and stay there for longer if you don't have a sufficient amount of people to kill every possible that jumps out at random before they can pull a shot off in a game were people have a fairly large amount of health already, as some form of genius and hardcore playing.

And they can put down healthpacks to keep healthy so they can shoot you the fuck down, that's why having good tacticians and medics is so important, it's not a "broken aspect", you just can't randomly win objectives because people are too spread out and all you get is 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 encounters, if you can't coordinate a massive push against a sufficiently large number of coordinated players, you're fucked, and rightfully so, if you're smart you and a friend can play as tacticians and try to direct the flow of your team instead of playing medic.

Spawn grenades were put into the game so the flow of the battle could be changed from game to game. It made things original and fun, allowing it to be mixed up. So people knew to keep a distance from it spawn invincibility was placed on the people coming out and because of people abusing it that turned it into the shit it is now which is why it was removed (when it should have been fixed instead).

It's not going to be so original for you if you're getting your ass kicked, they took out spawn invincibility so people can't cheese it, and spawn invincibility shouldn't have been there in the first place, obviously it works for the team who can maintain the flow of players better than the team who can't.

With spawn grenades it becomes a clusterfuck (in your words: a battle of will) and worse of all, it doesn't require any challenge. No skill whatsoever. You die taking a base? Just spawn again and keep shooting. As long as they don't get all of their guys around your spawn (which wouldn't happen anyway because they aren't just spawning there and they can shoot any enemies off of the spawn or at least deal with them all at once with a grenade.) you're fine and you don't have to worry about surviving or teamwork as long as there is one guy ready to toss out another spawn and there is still people coming out.

It's not really a clusterfuck as long as the match doesn't allow rockets, you'll just die alot, because people will shoot at you as you try to bust through a choke point (although you can try to clear the room with a couple of grenades first), you won't like it if you can't muster up the will power to trade a few lives to take an area. If you're going to be so focused on "survival" then Radec isn't going to be very good for you, it's not the map's fault, it's that you refuse to do what it takes to win, because your team is going to die due to your turtling and them being outnumbered, if you have to take an objective you need to go and fucking take it, the great thing about Radec is it's not a map that you can get cute with and cheese out a win.

The bottomline is your team is simply not as coordinated as the other team, with Radec the place is very clearly laid out, with very defined objectives, with very defined paths and chokepoints, you shouldn't blame the map for your team's inadequacies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Speaking of the cutscenes, the FMV bothered me a bit but probably not as much as it bothered you. Coming back from Crysis 2, Killzone 3 is such a more coherent and straight-forward story despite all the flak it has gotten. The cutscenes lack polish, for sure, but at least it's coherent in a way Crysis 2 fails at (enormously); stages are connected well (aside from the snow vehicle section) and the story's clear enough and the script's better than in Crysis 2.
The story in Crysis 2 was lame, but the actual way it was presented was fantastic for the most part. I really enjoy the way they present most cutscenes from the first person perspective with excellent camera work and animation. I feel like this approach could have worked well for many of the scenes in Killzone 3 and could have kept the player grounded in what was happening directly in front of them.

NHale

Dyno said:

So here I'll say for the next while.

It's great but when you only have 15-30 minutes to play it's a problem. Since they removed the ranked custom games, they should have a "Mini Warzone" playlist with different settings changing weekly (one week would be 2 x Assassination + Capture and Hold, other week would be 2 x Search & Destroy + Bodycount, etc.).

It would take less time to finish a round while still maintaining some of the dynamic and unique feel of Warzone.

denomes

Dyno said:
I love the classes too! For Tactician and Medic I unlocked what I think to be the sweet spot for upgrades and now I'm ready to move on. You carve out your optimal version of the class and don't get stuck with extras. It's very basic and yet satisfying.

I feel the classes are much more well-defined and individually useful in KZ3 than they ever were in KZ2. I'm having a blast leveling them up (only done Engineer so far, but well on my way to completing Tactician). I'm putting an analysis together in my head of the multiplayer and why I feel it's among the best team/class-based shooters on consoles. Someday I'll type it up.

The gist of my argument is that KZ3 features a level of mechanical complexity and depth (along with a demand for coordinated teamwork) that I feel is lost on many players of mainstream console shooters.

I feel there is a disconnect between the way that KZ is marketed (and to whom), the expectations of that target audience, and the actual gameplay demands (in multiplayer, specifically). This is exemplified by the complaints in this thread that most people are focused on their K/D ratios rather than the mission objectives (the idea is to go for points, people!).I feel that this disconnect is at least partly the reason that sales for this game were a little flat.

Do you guys agree/disagree? I haven't seen too much discussion on this topic.

Massa

NHale said:
It's great but when you only have 15-30 minutes to play it's a problem. Since they removed the ranked custom games, they should have a "Mini Warzone" playlist with different settings changing weekly (one week would be 2 x Assassination + Capture and Hold, other week would be 2 x Search & Destroy + Bodycount, etc.).

It would take less time to finish a round while still maintaining some of the dynamic and unique feel of Warzone.

It's called Operations. :)

denomes

Also, I don't understand the basis of the complaints in this thread claiming that KZ3 was made to be more like Call of Duty. Are these complaints focused at the single player campaign (which I haven't really played)?

On the multiplayer side of things, I think the game has become more appealing to a niche/hardcore shooter audience than a mainstream one (for the reasons outlined in my previous post).

denomes said:
I feel the classes are much more well-defined and individually useful in KZ3 than they ever were in KZ2. I'm having a blast leveling them up (only done Engineer so far, but well on my way to completing Tactician). I'm putting an analysis together in my head of the multiplayer and why I feel it's among the best team/class-based shooters on consoles. Someday I'll type it up.

The gist of my argument is that KZ3 features a level of mechanical complexity and depth (along with a demand for coordinated teamwork) that I feel is lost on many players of mainstream console shooters.

I feel there is a disconnect between the way that KZ is marketed (and to whom), the expectations of that target audience, and the actual gameplay demands (in multiplayer, specifically). This is exemplified by the complaints in this thread that most people are focused on their K/D ratios rather than the mission objectives (the idea is to go for points, people!).I feel that this disconnect is at least partly the reason that sales for this game were a little flat.

Do you guys agree/disagree? I haven't seen too much discussion on this topic.

Still love playing as tacticians, not a big fan of the starting weapons they give the players though, I still haven't bothered with medic, marksman though I like running around cloaked, with the submachine gun I have alot more mobility while not being as vulnerable than with just a lousy pistol.

I feel KZ2 was a tad more sophisticated though.

Future

denomes said:
Also, I don't understand the basis of the complaints in this thread claiming that KZ3 was made to be more like Call of Duty. Are these complaints focused at the single player campaign (which I haven't really played)?

On the multiplayer side of things, I think the game has become more appealing to a niche/hardcore shooter audience than a mainstream one (for the reasons outlined in my previous post).
Probably the single player. It was a rushed super scripted ride

denomes

MalboroRed said:
Still love playing as tacticians, not a big fan of the starting weapons they give the players though, I still haven't bothered with medic, marksman though I like running around cloaked, with the submachine gun I have alot more mobility while not being as vulnerable than with just a lousy pistol.

You're right some of the class abilities early on are pretty underpowered/useless.

For example, I didn't even bother laying down turrets until I had them fully upgraded for this reason.

Halcyon

I got the new maps this morning. I like them alot on first impression. The junkyard has awesome atmosphere and will be a good change of pace to gw.

I like stahl but the three times I played it it was like 2v2 or 1v2.

Learning the maps will at least give me more of an incentive to play other than to rank up.

denomes

HalcyonTB12 said:
I got the new maps this morning. I like them alot on first impression. The junkyard has awesome atmosphere and will be a good change of pace to gw.

I like stahl but the three times I played it it was like 2v2 or 1v2.

Learning the maps will at least give me more of an incentive to play other than to rank up.

To anyone else that have picked them up: Are people playing them? I might grab 'em. $5 is a good price for more jetpacks. :)

patsu

denomes said:
You're right some of the class abilities early on are pretty underpowered/useless.

For example, I didn't even bother laying down turrets until I had them fully upgraded for this reason.

I am trying to upgrade Engineer class now (Have almost all the weapons and abilities for all other classes).

I spend my points on the primary ability first. That allows me to hack other people's turrets. I guess if they have rocket turret, then I can have one too. 8^P

Now I have the first turret building ability. Trying to upgrade it to level 3 this week.

patsu

NHale said:

If you don't have time, you should play Operations. It's shorter and much more intense than Warzone.

denomes

patsu said:
I am trying to upgrade Engineer class now (Have almost all the weapons and abilities for all other classes).

I spend my points on the primary ability first. That allows me to hack other people's turrets. I guess if they have rocket turret, then I can have one too. 8^P

Now I have the first turret building ability. Trying to upgrade it to level 3 this week.

Upgrading the turret fully is essential to success with the Engineer. Also, try to set up turrets on high ground. People tend not to look up...until it's too late!

Oh yeah, and fighting alongside your turret and repairing it periodically works wonderfully. I've held down S&D objectives alone using this tactic. Turrets also work well for calling out enemies and identifying incoming attacks, as do drones.

patsu

MalboroRed said:

I switch between Tact and Medic frequently now. Taking over TSP is pretty interesting and rewarding in itself. OTOH, murdering and reviving people with Medic is important and fun too !

Dyno

ZeroRay said:
Add-ons don't expire, I believe. Only full games do.

I bought the Map Pack last night and caught a line of text that said you lose the maps when your PS+ expires.

I was killing it yesterday with Medic! Haven't got into the 16 - 20 kills territory in team deathmatch in a long while. With Medic I used the LMG which is just a beastly weapon. I backed it up with that silenced, scoped SMG which was amazing when I was sneaking around enemy territory. The combonation of those two weapons, the loud and the quiet, is just a dream come true!

So what's the next class to drop some points into? Have people played much Infiltrator? That looks like a zany class filled with much shenanigans. I really like their disguise ability because I've noticed that it creates a fair amount of paranoia in me. I've shot a few friendlies after being burned by a couple Infiltrators.

patsu

I'd go for Tact as a second class. Infiltrator is nice too if you like SnR objective and may be assassination.

There is no friendly fire in KZ3 I think.

I think what he's saying is that shooting at your team lets you know they're not Infiltrators, as their disguise wears off if they're hit.

Dibbz

I like the Infiltrator class. Quite hard to use though. I was playing as one yesterday and put my disguise on. Needed to run into the middle of the map in Frozen Dam so I turned around and ran backwards through the doorway that leads to the middle so it looks like I was running back from shooting someone. A stupid Helghast ran right by me and I snapped his neck. lol.

patsu

Dibbz said:
I like the Infiltrator class. Quite hard to use though. I was playing as one yesterday and put my disguise on. Needed to run into the middle of the map in Frozen Dam so I turned around and ran backwards through the doorway that leads to the middle so it looks like I was running back from shooting someone. A stupid Helghast ran right by me and I snapped his neck. lol.

Heh heh, I do that sometimes too. But it doesn't always work. I noticed that Tacticians can mark-n-spot a disguised Infiltrator right ? The battlefield was too chaotic so I was never sure.

I also like to circle the map and head to a hot zone as if I had just spawned from the enemy side. Works great for assassination if they are not hiding right beside their spawn points (like the rooms beside Salamun Market spawns). Sometimes, I get to wipe out a whole section of enemies from behind too (Body Count !).

Halcyon

I don't normally play infiltrator specifically because I think its boring just running around spamming the melee button.

On a side note, I've played junkyard a bunch now in gw and I think its my favorite map. I like the variety.

Dyno

patsu said:
I'd go for Tact as a second class. Infiltrator is nice too if you like SnR objective and may be assassination.

I did Tact up as my first class. Assault Rifle & Revolver = serious business.

If Infiltrator gets a lot of melee opportunities then I think I'll try it out. Haven't done too many and they haven't gotten old yet.

I've got a few good melees with Medic. They shoot you, but you have that resurrection ability. Wait until they aren't looking, stand up, and violate the Hypocratic Oath!

Are people playing the new maps? I love them but I hopped on to play them last night for the first time and all games I got rooms were of roughly 6 peeps at max.... and I was playing at 2AM EST.

Top Bottom