• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Dibbz

Facism said:
He's probably an Arsenal fan.
"Get out of here Stalker"

Salamun is not included in Steel Rain patsu sorry. Retro pack has it which you either got with limited edition or bought off the store for like £3.

Dibbz

V_Ben said:
I'd say that's new thread worthy, if you can write something up explaining why it's significant :)
Guy was a Game Designer for KZ2. I think he overlooked and designed the online components to KZ2 which a lot of people liked feature wise. Guy left for Ubisoft I think and rejoins GG after 1 year. He is now Principal Multiplayer Designer at GG.

It's great he is back since there were lots of cool features in KZ2 that KZ3 doesn't have. GG are working on a new IP though so it's more likely that his main tasks will be for that rather than KZ4.

Massa

patsu said:
Does Steel Rain include Salamun Market ? I can't remember anymore.

No, Steel Rain includes the Jankyard (GW) and Stahl Arms (Warzone). The Retro map pack includes Salamun Market (Warzone) and Blood Gracht (GW).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Lagspike_exe said:
Brink bomba.
not him. That's the lead level designer.

V_Ben said:
I'd say that's new thread worthy, if you can write something up explaining why it's significant :)

(Or you could at least tell me why it's significant, here in this thread :p)
KZ2 lead MP designer.

V_Ben

Banned
Dibbz said:
Guy was a Game Designer for KZ2. I think he overlooked and designed the online components to KZ2 which a lot of people liked feature wise. Guy left for Ubisoft I think and rejoins GG after 1 year. He is now Principal Multiplayer Designer at GG.

It's great he is back since there were lots of cool features in KZ2 that KZ3 doesn't have. GG are working on a new IP though so it's more likely that his main tasks will be for that rather than KZ4.

Ooh, right! I thought he went to Splash Damage ( because lagspike said something about Brink), but that's pretty cool! I loved KZ2's multiplayer :)

Edit: Ah, I was thinking of somebody different. Maybe he was working on one of the cancelled unannounced ubisoft projects. Perhaps there was some truth to the rumour I remember hearing about Ubi wanting to bring back Killing Day...

I'm currently playing KZ3 online and is not that bad, holy shit at the overreacting fans of KZ2, some of them seems to have selective memory about a lot of issues that have KZ2. Of course KZ3 isn't so well balanced like other games, for example Bad Company 2, and there's issues like the unbalanced maps in Operations. The mode sounded good, but at the end to have only 3 maps, GG should've ditched it and focus in more maps for Warzone. And of course the matchmaking bug that took ages to be solved. IMO the thing that would be vital to change now is the overpowered sniper, fix the jamming ability, increase the cooldown for the cloak and make the sniper rifle only to kill with headshots. Also I understand that we would have to talk about the missing clan clan and squad features from KZ2 and the tactical spawns (IMO there're better than the spawn grenades of KZ2)
But anyway it's a gorgeous game, playing it with Move+Sharpshooter is a blast, and when you've decent teams in both sides it's an awesome experience. I just don't understand the hate receives this game here.

Dibbz

Don't worry about what people think about KZ3. KZ2 GAF clan destoryed this thread by all the constant negativity thrown in here. I recall one guy who said he hates the game and was gonna sell it but was going to continue posting in here "warning" others how bad it was.

They were a pathetic bunch. Just ignore them if they pop up again.

I agree that with Move this game is great but one thing that annoys me is the big yellow crosshair. I wish there was an option to change it to the default crosshair.

Dibbz said:
Don't worry about what people think about KZ3. KZ2 GAF clan destoryed this thread by all the constant negativity thrown in here. I recall one guy who said he hates the game and was gonna sell it but was going to continue posting in here "warning" others how bad it was.

I agree that with Move this game is great but one thing that annoys me is the big yellow crosshair. I wish there was an option to change it to the default crosshair.

People have a right to vent their frustrations. I'm still playing KZ3, but there is still a lot wrong with the MP.

I like the yellow crosshair and the size of it. The vividness of the colouring really makes it easy for me to pick off people from a distance, particularly if they are an infiltrator or are cloaked.

Facism

Dibbz said:

agree, but not as bad as the shill cheerleaders that wouldn't allow any criticisms and only ever responded with ad hominems and bile, calling anybody with legit complaints "retards" or using the term 'kz2 vet' in a derogatory manner. disgusting, childish behaviour i'm sure you'll agree.

Of course I'm the first to acknowledge all the problems of KZ3 multiplayer, and I respect all thoughts about it, but I only trying to say that KZ2 wasn't that good, and KZ3 isn't that bad.

sajj316

Just wondering .. have any of you guys had your save file corrupted? Basically, the game froze at a point (probably while auto saving). I had to force shut down the PS3. It most likely nuked the save file in the process.

Dibbz

Facism said:
agree, but not as bad as the shill cheerleaders that wouldn't allow any criticisms and only ever responded with ad hominems and bile, calling anybody with legit complaints "retards" or using the term 'kz2 vet' in a derogatory manner. disgusting, childish behaviour i'm sure you'll agree.
Yes it is worse. People posting in this thread doing nothing but slam the game because it was not like KZ2. The hate was blown well out of proportion by these people.

I admit that KZ3 is not perfect but it is a lot more fun to play than KZ2 ever was. The KZ2 GAF circle jerk mob wouldn't dare say one bad word about KZ2 which in their eyes was the perfect game ever designed in the history of man.

Oh that is until Brink was meant to save them. How'd that work out for them?

patsu

sajj316 said:
Just wondering .. have any of you guys had your save file corrupted? Basically, the game froze at a point (probably while auto saving). I had to force shut down the PS3. It most likely nuked the save file in the process.

Hasn't happened to me. Then again I play MP these days. Probably no autosave here ?

I agree people are over-reacting @ KZ3.

I would love to see GG do an open world style game like Far Cry 2. That would be my ultimate dream game but I don't know how the engine would hold up in an open world environment. I'm sure graphics wouldn't be KZ2 level but I would love if they could achieve that.

alr1ght

Dibbz said:
I admit that KZ3 is not perfect but it is a lot more fun to play than KZ2 ever was. The KZ2 GAF circle jerk mob wouldn't dare say one bad word about KZ2 which in their eyes was the perfect game ever designed in the history of man.

Oh please. Do you know where Fix This Shit Guerrilla spawned from? yeah KZ2.

user friendly said:
I would love to see GG do an open world style game like Far Cry 2. That would be my ultimate dream game but I don't know how the engine would hold up in an open world environment. I'm sure graphics wouldn't be KZ2 level but I would love if they could achieve that.
Killzone Liberation 2

Grinchy

Banned
user friendly said:
I would love to see them use their engine to make an RPG. Or at least for an RPG-capable company to use their engine to make one.

patsu

Gah I hope they roll out phase 2 of custom game fix first and more maps before they explore new game types. ^_^

I finally found a little time to play KZ3. Been crazy/busy @ work. Great to be back.

Dibbz said:
Yes it is worse. People posting in this thread doing nothing but slam the game because it was not like KZ2. The hate was blown well out of proportion by these people.

You appear to have a very blinkered view of peoples love for KZ2. We moaned about the spawn system then, some of the shit maps, the lag, the dead zone etc. There was moaning throughout.

There was a lot more to moan about in KZ3 MP IMO. So much stuff was changed that did not need changing.

Facism

Dibbz said:

I disagree about the kz2 mob not saying a bad word about kz2. There was a lot of anti-kz2 crap in the original KZ2 thread, some in here too. A common theme is that KZ2 fans felt that KZ2 wasn't perfect, but was a great base for maturation of the gameplay and gametype design and mechanics for the inevitable sequel.

Personally, i felt they made a lot of small errors in judgement with KZ3. some they fixed in patches, others that have yet to be sorted or probably won't be touched. I've posted my measured and reasonable ideas and criticisms previously in this thread, but got shat on, unfortunately.

I'll still discuss it even though i sold the game a while back, even with the clear and apparent passive-agressive tone in your posts.

Dibbz

alr1ghtstart said:
Oh please. Do you know where Fix This Shit Guerrilla spawned from? yeah KZ2.
That highlights my point. At the time of KZ2 gaf moaned about that to. Oh spawns are broken fix this shit. Bots are broken fix this shit. Server list is broken fix this shit.

KZ3 fixed all of those problems and all we get is "Oh the good old days of KZ2, fucking KZ3 sucks".

Is anyone here serious about getting together one night a week to play some KZ3 together? It seems like there might be 3 or 4 of you guys and I'd love to play with some decent players once in a while.

alr1ght

Dibbz said:
KZ3 fixed all of those problems and all we get is "Oh the good old days of KZ2, fucking KZ3 sucks".

Yeah, if you say so.

i'll just quote Facism
Facism said:
A common theme is that KZ2 fans felt that KZ2 wasn't perfect, but was a great base for maturation of the gameplay and gametype design and mechanics for the inevitable sequel.

patsu

I think he's referring to a few posters who complained that Kz3 is crap while forgeting about Kz2 flaws. Clearly not all posters who complained about Kz3 feel that way. I remember I had to remind them about Kz2 flaws and why some changes may be needed.

In any case, I don't see why it must be a zero sum game. They are both unique and flawed in their odn ways. As long as GG stick around and continue to roll out great games, I don't mind giving them freedom to explore their creation. I generally don't pigeonhole games into CoD vs non-CoD, Kz2 vs un-Kz2, etc.

They should find time to polish their games and avoid bugs though.

patsu

Dibbz said:
Is anyone here serious about getting together one night a week to play some KZ3 together? It seems like there might be 3 or 4 of you guys and I'd love to play with some decent players once in a while.

My schedule is hectic and haphazard these days. It doesn't matter which day it is for me, but it has to be a weekday. Once the day is nailed down, I'll try to fit the slot in.

Used to play every weekday with GAF in RFOM for 2 straight years but most of them are no longer posting actively I think. Some like Kittonwy were perm banned. 8^{

Dibbz

patsu said:
My schedule is hectic and haphazard these days. It doesn't matter which day it is for me, but it has to be a weekday. Once the day is nailed down, I'll try to fit the slot in.

Used to play every weekday with GAF in RFOM but most of them are no longer posting actively I think. Some like Kittonwy were perm banned. 8^{
If we get some interest we could nail down a day. Saying that, Monday or Tuesdays are usually ok for me.

What time zone are you in Patsu?

teepo

Dibbz said:

i'd be down.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I managed to get the game for dirt cheap, wasn't expecting much but I needed a game to justify my Sharpshooter purchase.

Maybe it was just the Sharpshooter's doing but I really enjoyed the campaign. It seemed incredibly varied (great for ADD) and the AI was great in comparison to some of the garbage I have played recently. But Guerrilla really needs to hire some quality writers. The cutscenes had me cringing a bit much. But overall I had a lot of fun, even if it was only 4-5 hours, much more enjoyable than Killzone 2.

so i put a few hours into this game over the weekend and i really only have one question.

is it me/my copy/my broken eyes or do some of the wall decals (like the helghan text in the first level next to doors, floor markers, etc) look absurdly low resolution?
its like i'm seeing the "far-away" texture but up close. reminds me of UE3 engine problems like mass effect had.

its real weird because some of those incidental things look really sharp and clean, but others are just ungodly low-res and blurry.

patsu

LOL. I knew it ! Timezone is always a problem. I have a PS3 at work. Makes me jealous when I look over and see people on PSN playing games and watching videos.

Was the map rotation fixed? I stopped playing when only that retro map was selected over and over and over and over... Thanks. At work and can't search to find the info.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Was the map rotation fixed? I stopped playing when only that retro map was selected over and over and over and over... Thanks. At work and can't search to find the info.

I'd like to know that too, it seems like the last patch solved it, but I haven't had the chance to test it yet.

Dibbz

RockmanWhore said:
I'd like to know that too, it seems like the last patch solved it, but I haven't had the chance to test it yet.
Yes it is fixed the retro maps now show up in the vote map screen with all the rest of them.

Thrakier, is GAFe active?

Lince

Banned
Vasilisk said:
Of course I'm the first to acknowledge all the problems of KZ3 multiplayer, and I respect all thoughts about it, but I only trying to say that KZ2 wasn't that good, and KZ3 isn't that bad.

as I explained somewhere in this thread KZ2 wasn't really a masterpiece or the pinnacle of online mp gaming, but thanks to custom games the community turned the tides and made KZ2 awesome to play (7v7, no boost / assault rooms). KZ3 is a fun (yet also flawed) game on its own, we could debate endlessly but leaving aside the obvious lack of features compared to KZ2 the fact that you can't "tweak" KZ3 for public games (removing automatic rifles from snipers for instance) automatically makes KZ3 the "inferior" game in my book... and I've played 230+ hours though.

at the end of the day I really believe the game could have been much better if some of the beta(s) feedback would have been taken into consideration.

abrazos!

dc89

I picked this up a few weeks ago and obviously wasn't able to try the MP.

I've played it 2-3 times now and I quite enjoy it! I also liked KZ2's MP so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thrakier

Dibbz said:
Yes it is fixed the retro maps now show up in the vote map screen with all the rest of them.

Thrakier, is GAFe active?

No, not anymore.

Playing through SP again. While the first few levels really aren't amazing, those levels leading up to the MAWLR, esspecially the bunker level...wow. That's awesome stuff. Playing with move makes it so much more immersive.

Lince

Banned
GAFe chat rooms you mean, patsu? guess Thrakier (Seph) can invite you to any of them.

btw does anyone want to be the new clan leader? I'm not playing KZ3 online anymore so I'd like to transfer the leadership to someone who's still playing at least 2-3 days a week, just PM me with your PSN handle. OK I'm off to work, beautiful summer day in Spain to be enclosed in a room full of servers and shit, oh well...

Dibbz

Killzone 3 Patch 1.09 coming June 2nd

Some notable updates

• Added Colour blind support – When turned ‘On’ all enemy players and objects will be underlined. This is the case for the minimap and in-game, such as player names.
  • Move - Fixed continuous rumble when the PlayStation Eye camera connected
  • Move - When interacting with a Search & Destroy objective the player will no longer also do a melee
  • Accepting a squad invite from the opposing faction will no longer quit the game.
    [*]Expanded the information about the Multiplayer status of a friend in the XMB. It will now show the game mode and the map that the player is in.
  • Updates to loading screens
  • Plus lots of collision fixes and exploits fixed

http://community.killzone.com/t5/Announcements-Events/Patch-1-09-patch-notes-and-date/td-p/1025921

Patch 1.10 is also coming but no date on it yet. Early list looks very promising though

• Custom Games part 2
  • Marksmen nerf
  • Medic Icon when wounded on ground
    [*]Listening to music stored on your PS3 while playing

It's great to see GG not only fixing bugs and exploits but actually improving the game by adding custom soundtracks back and XMB presence data. Again they are proving they listen the their fans (the ones that stick around) and actually implement changes they feel will improve the game.

BTW I got an invite to the GAF chat yesterday and invited Patsu to it, not sure if you joined though. If anyone else wants to get together for KZ3 action then PM me or PSN me.

Dibbz said:
Killzone 3 Patch 1.09 coming June 2nd

Some notable updates

Patch 1.10 is also coming but no date on it yet. Early list looks very promising though

It's great to see GG not only fixing bugs and exploits but actually improving the game by adding custom soundtracks back and XMB presence data. Again they are proving they listen the their fans (the ones that stick around) and actually implement changes they feel will improve the game.

BTW I got an invite to the GAF chat yesterday and invited Patsu to it, not sure if you joined though. If anyone else wants to get together for KZ3 action then PM me or PSN me.

Damn, nice to see music support finally in. Wish Dice would patch it in for BFBC2.

patsu

Yes ! Eagerly waiting for 1.10.

Dibbz, I didn't sign in to KZ3 yesterday. Just started LA Noire. Will be back next week.

Top Bottom