• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Massa

Mooreberg said:
I guess I will activate my PSN+ trial when this new map pack comes out and then I'll have access to all of them for a month. Really a shame that they are not doing any more with Operations. Warzone is still the best mode (one of my favorite in any shooter) but Operations is kind of a good smaller scale ground infantry equivalent to Rush mode from Bad Company 2. Seems crazy they cannot just throw in some animations, James Remar and Ray Wintstone voice clips, and partition maps a bit to make more available.

Also wish all the maps were available to Warzone since Kaznan Jungle looks great and has a cool layout, and the videos I've seen of Junkyard look interesting as well. Going to be funny if/when Radec Academy ends up being GW only but I'm not going to miss seeing it either way.

I love the idea of specializing maps for particular modes, but the execution is a lot better when you have something UT2004 shipping with over one hundred maps, as opposed to these console shooters with fewer than a dozen. Either way the map packs from PSN+ should add some variety and while the game has some issues that simply were not present in KZ2, it is still pretty fun and I'll keep playing it until Battlefield 3 comes out.

You should sign up for Playstation Plus at least on Monday, as it looks like the Steel Rain pack is coming down from Plus next Tuesday. I don't think they announced anything about the next map pack being free for Plus again, but I really doubt they would do that now that everyone has it.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Massa said:
You should sign up for Playstation Plus at least on Monday, as it looks like the Steel Rain pack is coming down from Plus next Tuesday. I don't think they announced anything about the next map pack being free for Plus again, but I really doubt they would do that now that everyone has it.

I see. Thanks for the heads up!

patsu

Dibbz said:
My favourite part of the SP was the part just before the
MAWLR
. The whole build up to get to it is crazy. ISA guys all over the place trying to push forward. It's these big battles that KZ does well. The Jungle defense was another moment like this. Just so many people fighting, rockets going off. So good.

I dropped into Rick808's game unintentionally this afternoon. First time playing against him. Nice self introduction by gunning each other down. :lol

Second Warzone round in the Avenue map was the craziest one yet. So close every mission ! Ended up in a draw (3-3). Rick topped the game, I came in third. ^_^

dazed808

patsu said:
I dropped into Rick808's game unintentionally this afternoon. First time playing against him. Nice self introduction by gunning each other down. :lol

Second Warzone round in the Avenue map was the craziest one yet. So close every mission ! Ended up in a draw (3-3). Rick topped the game, I came in third. ^_^

I noticed you liked that balcony so had to keep visiting just to say hello with my M82!!

It's rounds like that that keep me coming back most nights. It was all up for grabs till the last few seconds - proper balls to the wall carnage all the way!

Hopefully we can get a good few people together to squad up - who's clan leader now Lince has retired?

patsu

Yap... I started playing Engineer a few days ago. Noticed that both the SnD objective rooms in the Avenue map have an ammo depot. That means they are the best place for Engineer camping !

I knew the enemies -- 'specially the thinking Tacticians -- will try to grab the location back because of the upcoming SnR defense mission. ^_^

Killed a lot of people with mines, turrets and LMG. :p

Dibbz

I love proxies. I try to find new and exciting places to strap them to. Ceilings, ruble, teamates :p Don't think I've ever got a kill by strapping one to a team mate though :( Is that even possible?

Engineer is really fun Patsu, I'd stick with it. Get some unlocks make sure you grab the granade pistol. Sooo much fun can be had with that gun. It's great for clearing rooms before entering and getting rid of hidden proxy mines etc.

patsu

Yeah, you can stick the mine to your teammates. I think I saw it blew someone back. :)

The game this afternoon was special because besides closely matched, it's the first time my view was blocked by assorted body parts during combat.

So many people stormed into the balcony at one point, I couldn't discern who's Helghast and who's ISA. People were melee'ing and shooting all over the place. Pure madness.

dazed808

Dibbz said:
I'm CL, who's askin'?!

Well if you could fire an invite over next time you're on that would be much appreciated. Time to get some GAF squad domination going again! Are there many active members nowadays?

Dibbz

OK Rick I can't send an invite from the KZ website and I doubt I can do it via KZ3 so I think you will need to send a request. Check the website to see if you can send one through that. If not just try it next time your on KZ3.

Patsu are you in the clan? If not I suggest you do the same.

I usually play about 8pm which is about 5 hours ago from this post. It seems like a lot of you guys are from US but I'm sure we can make this work.

dazed808

Usually get on about 10.30GMT and go through till 1-2am during the week, weekends are patchy at the moment depending on how work is. Guessing you're NA as you were having time issues with Dibbz but hopefully we can sort a few games out sometime.

EDIT: Ok Dibbz, request sent from KZ3 site

Loudninja

Killzone 3 “From the Ashes” and Map Pack Bundle Hit PSN Today
But that’s not all! Newcomers to Killzone 3 will be interested to learn that we’re also releasing a DLC Bundle Pack including the Retro Pack, the Steel Rain Pack and the From The Ashes Pack – eight maps total – for just $9.99. There’s never been a better time to join Killzone 3’s online multiplayer arena, so grab a map pack and jump in!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-the-ashes-and-map-pack-bundle-hit-psn-today/

Video in the link.

Mikey Jr.

Can someone tell me why they dont make maps that work with objectives? Why is it an either/or type situation? Why is Tharsis only TDM now?

Can someone logically explain this to me.

Violater

Mikey Jr. said:
Can someone tell me why they dont make maps that work with objectives? Why is it an either/or type situation? Why is Tharsis only TDM now?

It's GG, they have done everything they can to make this game fucking suck.

patsu

Mikey Jr. said:

Probably too small to be a Warzone map.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ok, it seems I am at the end of the campaign (waiting for a weekend to finish it), so I tried MP.

It's solid. Maps are good so far, I don't feel underpowered being novice, weapons have recoil. No clusterfucks were noticed.

But what really suprised is how unimaginative most players are. May be it just these matches, but tactis was pretty poor on the enemy side. I'm not saying that I'm a monster but I helped my team quite a lot by reviving, destroying turrets and capturing spawns. Unfortuntely all breaches I made weren't used and while enemies were trying to defend their spawn point I raped it pretty easily. It wasn't a walk in the park but it seemed that people were caring about their KDR more than objectives. We won both matches today. I'm afraid if my friend buys the game we'll own everybody with 6-1 or 7-0 in good KZ2 fashion.

Also I'm dissapointed with Move so far.

Dibbz

Patsu can you confirm if you are now in the clan? I accept you and Rick via the website but haven't been on KZ3 to check.

@subversus

Why don't you like Move? You not adjusted to it yet? Get the calibration right and it is godly imo.

subversus

Dibbz said:
Why don't you like Move? You not adjusted to it yet? Get the calibration right and it is godly imo.

well, so far it feels very clunky. Turning around is horrible and Killzone is all about movement. I'm not sure if I calibrate it well. So far I don't know what deadzone is. Also I don't know if I should point at the screen with my hand extended when I calibrate it or just aim at it with my hand lying elsewhere.

BeeDog

Arklite said:
How's the local co-op in this game? Just looking for something decently entertaining that runs well.

It works surprisingly well. The screens are bit on the small side, but if you don't sit too far, it should work. Also, framedrops are not too bad at all, and the catch-up effect seems to solve issues with one player lagging behind pretty well.

patsu

Dibbz said:
Patsu can you confirm if you are now in the clan? I accept you and Rick via the website but haven't been on KZ3 to check.

@subversus

I accepted the invite 5 minutes ago.

subversus said:
well, so far it feels very clunky. Turning around is horrible and Killzone is all about movement. I'm not sure if I calibrate it well. So far I don't know what deadzone is. Also I don't know if I should point at the screen with my hand extended when I calibrate it or just aim at it with my hand lying elsewhere.

I just turn the dead zone off or put it at10%. Turn speed at 60 and crosshair sensitivity at like 10-20 feels good for me currently. I hate the invisible wall that a deadzone gives because I always end up overcompensate for it. Turning with low sensitivity but with the turn speed and lack of that wall feels really good.

Zoda

Neo Member
How does the clan work? Do I have to add the entire clan as friends or can I just search for their names and invite them in-game?

Arklite said:
How's the local co-op in this game? Just looking for something decently entertaining that runs well.

It runs pretty good, was surprised how great everything still looks though of course you get some small screens, but that seems like all split screen games nowadays.

Dibbz

subversus said:
The way to calibrate it is place your hand where you want the middle of the screen to be. When you press the move button for the centre it should be where your hand naturally rests. This way you will be pointing at the middle when resting and it the cursor won't be drifting.

Next it'll ask you to point to the top left and bottom right. These positions set where the edges of the screen are for your Move controller. So depending on how far you want to move your hand to the left and right as well as up and down, depends on how far or close you point from your "resting point". The closer to your resting point the faster the cursor will get to the edge of the screen faster the further from your resting point the longer it will take.

There are some options for tweeking your calibration but I wouldn't mess with them too much just yet although you may want to reduce your deadzone. I have both Horizontal and Vertical set to 0% but that's just me. Do whatever feels comfortable to you. First and foremost get your calibration right.

Zoda if you want in on the clan search for FTSG on the KZ3 website. You might be able to access it through my profile which is Dibbz.

T-0800

subversus said:

Doesn't really matter if you extend your arm. I have found it important though that the PS eye is on the same level as you and that you have the camera level. Don't have it pointing up. If you do you will get lots of drift. This doesn't really apply if you play standing. Which you probably don't.

Move when setup up correctly is better than playing with DS. Much quicker aiming.

Loving all the maps. Radec and Tharsis Depot look much nicer to me than they did in Killzone 2. Also, both Mobile Factory and Lente Missle Base are very cool. I'm not disappointed at all.

Dead

well not really...yet
Brought the game out of retirement and bought the new map pack. Great job on the new maps, and tons of people playing em.

subversus

Yes, I totally dig MP.

Also I'm a bit better with MOVE now thanks to calibration advices here but still it's very problematic to aim at people far away who are sitting behind obstacles while I have no such problem with dualshock.

Dibbz

Great to see you guys are digging the new maps. Can't wait to get them.

@Cataferal

EU PSN stores usually update about 5pm BST. At least the UK store does.

subversus

Damn, MP is very solid.

This is what KZ2 should have been. 4-5 million copies sold guaranteed (if not more).

Dibbz

Oh man just had a few games on the new maps. They're amazing. Just playing at Radec and Tharsis brings back memories.

subversus said:
Damn, MP is very solid.

This is what KZ2 should have been. 4-5 million copies sold guaranteed (if not more).

Well the MP I think is the weakest aspect of KZ3, though I do enjoy it. KZ2 had better maps and lot of great features that got taken out. KZ3 did add more variety which is nice, and I think the biggest improvement was the netcode, which is fantastic in KZ3 with little to no lag. KZ2 was always laggy even with small custom matches.

Top Bottom