• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
BattleMonkey said:
Well the MP I think is the weakest aspect of KZ3, though I do enjoy it. KZ2 had better maps and lot of great features that got taken out. KZ3 did add more variety which is nice, and I think the biggest improvement was the netcode, which is fantastic in KZ3 with little to no lag. KZ2 was always laggy even with small custom matches.

I've played 150 hours of KZ2, was the head of the clan, participated in tournaments and while I miss these features, the game is better. Making it 24 players and introducing spawn points was the right decision.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wish that they had chosen a winter theme with daytime lighting for Radec Academy instead, since that would match more the grey style from Killzone 2. I also wish that they would have kept the courtyard more clean/plain and not put so much rubble there. But i can see why they did the different design choices, to avoid chokepoints etc. But the map is cool though :) And i'm really glad that they made it with warzone support as well, i was a bit worried that it would only be made for guerilla warfare. And the price for the map pack is great!

Lince

Banned
subversus said:
I've played 150 hours of KZ2, was the head of the clan, participated in tournaments and while I miss these features, the game is better. Making it 24 players and introducing spawn points was the right decision.

I'm reserving this space for a reply to this post that hopefully won't get me banned. Words don't come easy though, so much wrong in there.

subversus

Lince said:
I'm reserving this space for a reply to this post that hopefully won't get me banned. Words don't come easy though, so much wrong in there.

haha, I remember you from the beta thread. Don't bother, I know what you'll post.

anyway people seem to capture them now and somehow the game doesn't depend on them THAT much. It feels balanced.

subversus said:

I prefer a spawn point system as well, but my problem with it largely is that I think the spawn points on many of the maps are just horribly placed and the control of the spawns can be quick game over for the other team. Many of them just create bottle necks of carnage and if not playing with a team of people you know, you can get stuck on a team without any means of capturing or taking spawn points as no one chose to be tactician. Why since launch I was saying they should have at least made it that anyone could neutralize spawn points like in any other objective spawn game, but make it that only tacticians can actually capture the spawn.

Often get into games that go bad because no tacticians can capture the spawns or there are none playing as them, while the opposite team who has a bunch of tacts will be capping and dominating the map easily. They made tactician capping way to important when many people obviously don't want to play as them, and you get unbalanced matches because of it.

Lince

Banned
subversus said:
anyway people seem to capture them now and somehow the game doesn't depend on them THAT much. It feels balanced.

so if that's true it's time to give the game another chance then, I played 300+ hours already so I won't mind playing some more specially if I can find my friend Rick (Dazed808) there, who knows, maybe I'll beat my killstreak of 41 kills without dying in a single match using the 'balanced' marksman.

BattleMonkey said:
They made tactician capping way to important when many people obviously don't want to play as them, and you get unbalanced matches because of it.

why would you play any other class than Marksman? I was the only Tactician along with Pwonager for 99% of the games I played.

test_account

XP-39C²
Why doesnt more people use the Marksman class if it has a huge advantage? I pretty much only play Operations and i would say that it is almost rare to find a sniper in those matches. Not sure about in Warzone though, i havnt played that mode so much.

Massa

Lince said:
so if that's true it's time to give the game another chance then, I played 300+ hours already so I won't mind playing some more specially if I can find my friend Rick (Dazed808) there, who knows, maybe I'll beat my killstreak of 41 kills without dying in a single match using the 'balanced' marksman.

why would you play any other class than Marksman? I was the only Tactician along with Pwonager for 99% of the games I played.

What I found is that if you don't play as Tact other people tend to pick up the slack, but you should actively try to support them. For example, play as Medic and follow the tacts to the spawn areas. Or play Infilitrator to boost to the spawn areas and make way for the tacts on your team to capture it. Or play as marksman and try to simply stand still to use radar jamming near the TSP, it's something that goes unnoticed but helps *a lot*.

Controlling the map should not be left to the tacticians alone. Warzone in KZ3 is about controlling the map, completing the objectives is a simple consequence of that. For example, if your team completely retreats to defend an Assassination you may even win that objective, but more often than not that just cost your team the game.

subversus

test_account said:
Why doesnt more people use the Marksman class if it has a huge advantage? I pretty much only play Operations and i would say that it is almost to find a sniper in those matches. Not sure about in Warzone though, i havnt played that mode so much.

I have played Warzone only (guerilla warfare is horrible as any TDM) and there are a lot of snipers there. They're pretty useless. I'm yet to use this class.

Lince

Banned
test_account said:
Why doesnt more people use the Marksman class if it has a huge advantage? I pretty much only play Operations and i would say that it is almost to find a sniper in those matches. Not sure about in Warzone though, i havnt played that mode so much.

well people who play Operations are not K/D whores but more of teamplay-oriented players, you need Infiltrators to arm charges quickly, Tacticians to capture spawn points... Warzone and Warfare are a different story, a CoD story if you want, no1 gives a fuck about objectives or winning and Marksmen are everywhere working their K/D stats up.

Lince

Banned
Massa said:
What I found is that if you don't play as Tact other people tend to pick up the slack, but you should actively try to support them. For example, play as Medic and follow the tacts to the spawn areas. Or play Infilitrator to boost to the spawn areas and make way for the tacts on your team to capture it. Or play as marksman and try to simply stand still to use radar jamming near the TSP, it's something that goes unnoticed but helps *a lot*.

Controlling the map should not be left to the tacticians alone. Warzone in KZ3 is about controlling the map, completing the objectives is a simple consequence of that. For example, if your team completely retreats to defend an Assassination you may even win that objective, but more often than not that just cost your team the game.

true, but this stuff about other classes supporting Tacticians in order to work together to win the match happened only in 2-3 games out of the 800 I played (in GAF parties no less). But as I said I'm gonna give the game another chance and see if the CoD kids left and the true players who play for the team are commonplace now. I'm gonna have to find my Move controller and play some offline botzone to get in the groove again though.

subversus

BattleMonkey said:
Often get into games that go bad because no tacticians can capture the spawns or there are none playing as them, while the opposite team who has a bunch of tacts will be capping and dominating the map easily. They made tactician capping way to important when many people obviously don't want to play as them, and you get unbalanced matches because of it.

it's hilarious but we won these games too. The other team payed too much attention to spawnpoints (I was trying to recapture them all the time) while our team did all objectives.

I'll try Operations today. It seems that hardcore people are playing there. Warzone is too easy.

test_account

XP-39C²
subversus said:
I have played Warzone only (guerilla warfare is horrible as any TDM) and there are a lot of snipers there. They're pretty useless. I'm yet to use this class.
Lince said:
well people who play Operations are not K/D whores but more of teamplay-oriented players, you need Infiltrators to arm charges quickly, Tacticians to capture spawn points... Warzone and Warfare are a different story, a CoD story if you want, no1 gives a fuck about objectives or winning and Marksmen are everywhere working their K/D stats up.
I understand. I have played some Warzone (now that i think about it, i think that i have around 1500 kills or so in that mode), but that is mostly on Salamun Market, which is the best Warzone map in my opinion :) I havnt felt overwhelmed by snipers then, but that is just my experience though. But i know that the sniper is really powerful, with 1 shot 1 kill regardless of where on the body you hit.

I still prefer Operation because i find it the most fun =) I wish that they made a new operation map soon, would be interesting to see. Maybe i will start to play some more Warzone now that Radec Academy has been released.

Zimbardo

so i just have a little question about KZ3.

now, i've only ever played KZ3 against bots ...but one thing that i really disliked, from what i could see, is that if you build a ground bot and try to build another ...the first one blows up.

does it do that online as well? like, you can only have 1 ground bot out at a time? that sucks ...in KZ2 you could have like 4 ground bots out as long as no other team member had one.

and with the air bots ...in bot matches, when you die, your air bot seems to blow up as well. seemed much worse than KZ2.

i used to enjoy using the engineer in KZ2 and using a combination of ground and air bots, while running around with the magnum revolver. i could have like 2 ground bots and 2 air bots going at once ...it was awesome.

seems that in KZ3, this can't be done.

am i wrong?

subversus

test_account said:
I understand. I have played some Warzone (now that i think about it, i think that i have around 1500 kills or so in that mode), but that is mostly on Salamun Market, which is the best Warzone map in my opinion :) I havnt felt overwhelmed by snipers then, but that is just my experience though. But i know that the sniper is really powerful, with 1 shot 1 kill regardless of where on the body you hit.

I still prefer Operation because i find it the most fun =) I wish that they made a new operation map soon, would be interesting to see. Maybe i will start to play some more Warzone now that Radec Academy has been released.

People on Warzone aren't very keen on doing objectives, that's why we win most games when I'm on the team, I think. I'm going for objectives first, kills - second.

Zen

Banned
I was contemplating selling Killzone 3, but frankly the patch changes sound really good (even though I found the single player and tone of Killzone 3 to be supremely disappointing) is the effort they have put into patching up and working on the game post release. These new maps (along with the retro ones) feel a bit closer to the style of Killzone 2, or at least the evoke that to me.

I'll be buying this for sure; and the pricing is great.

test_account

XP-39C²
Zimbardo said:
so i just have a little question about KZ3.

now, i've only ever played KZ3 against bots ...but one thing that i really disliked, from what i could see, is that if you build a ground bot and try to build another ...the first one blows up.

does it do that online as well? like, you can only have 1 ground bot out at a time? that sucks ...in KZ2 you could have like 4 ground bots out as long as no other team member had one.

and with the air bots ...in bot matches, when you die, your air bot seems to blow up as well. seemed much worse than KZ2.

i used to enjoy using the engineer in KZ2 and using a combination of ground and air bots, while running around with the magnum revolver. i could have like 2 ground bots and 2 air bots going at once ...it was awesome.

seems that in KZ3, this can't be done.

am i wrong?
Yeah, you can only have 1 bot up and running at the same time and the air bots goes away if you die when playing online. I'm pretty sure that this is a design choice so that one person shouldnt be hogging all the bots and drones alone. It was not that unusual in Killzone 2 that one single person had set up like 2-3 bots. And sometimes it felt near impossible to use the air bots because they were always used by other people, even after they have died several of times. It didnt bother me that much in Killzone 2 though, but i'm just saying that this is probably why they changed it in Killzone 3.

subversus said:
People on Warzone aren't very keen on doing objectives, that's why we win most games when I'm on the team, I think. I'm going for objectives first, kills - second.
Sucks when people dont do the objective :\ Well, at least if a lot of people on the team doesnt try to do it. I pretty much always try to do the objectives =)

Zimbardo

test_account said:
Yeah, you can only have 1 bot up and running at the same time and the air bots goes away if you die when playing online. I'm pretty sure that this is a design choice so that one person shouldnt be hogging all the bots and drones alone. It was not that unusual in Killzone 2 that one single person had set up like 2-3 bots. And sometimes it felt near impossible to use the air bots because they were always used by other people, even after they have died several of times. It didnt bother me that much in Killzone 2 though, but i'm just saying that this is probably why they changed it in Killzone 3.

shitty.

it never bothered me in KZ2, because if i ever felt someone was hogging the ground bots, etc, you could easily blow them up yourself and then build another one.

not to mention the opposing team would usually blow them up anyway.

test_account

XP-39C²
Zimbardo said:
shitty.

it never bothered me in KZ2, because if i ever felt someone was hogging the ground bots, etc, you could easily blow them up yourself and then build another one.

People probably had different opinions about it, so i guess that is why they changed it. The bot can be upgraded to shoot rockets though (not all the time, but one rocket each 5th second or so i think). Personally i think that the change is fine, especially with the air bots. It gives a bit more tactics to the game, since you have to stay alive for the bot to be active.

About destroying your own team's bots, what happen if other people thought the same? People on the same team keep blowing eachother bots up lol :) But you're right that the bots usually didnt last for very long because the enemy usually blew them up.

patsu

Lince said:

I don't think that's true in general in my games. There are more and more Tacticians; sometimes entire team of Tacticians if the game is small. I am forced to play as Tact to recap TSPs in these cases. After I get one, and if the TSP is strategic, I respawn as Engineer to booby trap the place with mines, and defend it.

Otherwise, I become a Medic and generally support or lead an objective or TSP takeover. I use Infiltrator in SnR. I noticed other folks do too.

Engineers are a rare find these days but after trying it out, I think it's a pretty powerful class to rake up K/D ratio too, especially when you camp near an ammo depot.

I seldom/never play as Marksman, but I have one that's fully upgraded.

Zimbardo said:
shitty.

One bot is just about right. The rocket bot is pretty effective, plus you running around to surprise enemies. The Engineer's repair + mine laying capability can turn tide.

Zimbardo

test_account said:
About destroying your own team's bots, what happen if other people thought the same? People on the same team keep blowing eachother bots up lol :) But you're right that the bots usually didnt last for very long because the enemy usually blew them up.

i think the only times that i'd blow them up was if they were left behind in a crappy spot where the opposing team wouldn't readily blow it up themselves.

just to free up a build slot for myself or anyone else.

but yeah, usually the other team would take care of the bots anyway.

patsu

You can hack enemy's turrets too.

I think in general, map knowledge is extremely important for all classes. Deciding what to do, where and when in a map tend to affect the outcome the most.

test_account

XP-39C²
patsu said:
One bot is just about right. The rocket bot is pretty effective, plus you running around to surprise enemies. The Engineer's repair + mine laying capability can turn tide.
Mine laying capability? Or do you mean the standard proximity mine?

Zimbardo said:
i think the only times that i'd blow them up was if they were left behind in a crappy spot where the opposing team wouldn't readily blow it up themselves.

just to free up a build slot for myself or anyone else.

but yeah, usually the other team would take care of the bots anyway.
I understand. Come to think of it, it is a bit strange that it is possible to destroy own team bots. Is it possible to destroy team weapon cases as well?

patsu

test_account said:
Mine laying capability? Or do you mean the standard proximity mine?

Ha ha, yeah... it's the standard proximity mine. But if you're near an ammo depot, you can lay a few and replenish quickly.

Defended 2 TSPs successfully this way. Both times, the enemies claimed the rest of the TSPs. In one of these cases, we won 4-3.

EDIT: I actually lost the TSP for a short while to 3 Tacts. But since they didn't have an Engineer, they couldn't hold it for long (Ran out of ammo). Rushed back in as a Tactician with the help of another teammate and reclaimed it back. Replenished my ammo and continued to defend the TSP.

test_account

XP-39C²
gluv65 said:
I don't play online, but I'm wondering if these dlc maps let you play against bots? and KZ2 Bots where pretty damn good is this the same for KZ3?
Yeah, i think that these maps works in botzone as well. Although, wasnt there one map that didnt work in botzone for some reason? Cant remember which map and why.

Not sure how good the bots are in Killzone 3, but you can chose difficulty level on the bots at least.

patsu said:
Ha ha, yeah... it's the standard proximity mine. But if you're near an ammo depot, you can lay a few and replenish quickly.
Ah ok, like that. I was just wondering if i had missed something regarding mines :) I still havnt hacked a single turret (although i knew this was possible), so maybe i missed something about mines as well.

test_account said:
Yeah, i think that these maps works in botzone as well. Although, wasnt there one map that didnt work in botzone for some reason? Cant remember which map and why.

It's the maps with jet packs that you can't play, isn't it?

test_account

XP-39C²
MarshMellow96 said:
It's actually a penny cheaper for me to buy the maps separately..
Because of that 1 free map pack for PS Plus? :)

MarshMellow96 said:
It's the maps with jet packs that you can't play, isn't it?
Ah yes, that is probably it indeed :) Then there should be like 3 maps that doesnt work in botzone.

lucius

So I am pretty early in the game and enjoying it a lot, more than Crysis 2 even but I noticed some minor pauses in cutscenes, nothing major but is that normal?

patsu

I don't remember pauses in cutscenes. Actually, I don't remember the story anymore :lol

But in MP, I noticed 1.09 can freeze for a moment once in a while (rarely, but happened to me 3 times so far). Haven't seen it in 1.10.

lucius

It is normal I saw a video on YouTube, it is hardly noticeable. One happens right when you meet the first guy that radios in to tell you to goto training, not really a cutscene.

patsu

RelentlessRolento said:
um... who the hell do I talk to to get into the clan?

Dibbz. PSN id also Dibbz.

EDIT: Better yet, go to killzone.com and send a request to clan FTSG.

I think we should also use/share the GAF chat room. There are _always_ people in the chatroom every day I go in. They play U2 online and other games.

patsu said:
Dibbz. PSN id also Dibbz.

EDIT: Better yet, go to killzone.com and send a request to clan FTSG.

I think we should also use/share the GAF chat room. There are _always_ people in the chatroom every day I go in. They play U2 online and other games.

k, yeah, tried to send you a request last night but ur friend list is full, almost like mine >_<

BeeDog

Good God the game still looks fantastic, even in multiplayer. Love how shadows occasionally wander all over when the bots sweep over on the Mobile Factory map.

patsu

RelentlessRolento said:
k, yeah, tried to send you a request last night but ur friend list is full, almost like mine >_<

Yeah that's why I suggested using the chatroom. Everyone can send the chatroom to their GAF friends without bumping into friends list limit. Some of them can probably add you to a clan of some game you like, not just KZ3.

I think it's one of the best XMB features, although it has some flaws.

Dibbz

Been playing the new maps all day with like 6 or 7 other guys in a party. There was one FTSG member who joined the party I was in Rider something I think. Show yourself :p

Lente is a great map. It's fairly small but there's a lot of different levels. You have the top level where the spawns are then there is the underground missile exhaust passages and then there is the top level in the middle of the map that over looks the centre. Oh and the map is so good looking. Theres a damn sunset on this map for god sake! The map layout is symmetrical and you know what that means, it means it's a great fucking map. Two TSP's and neither of them hold a massive advantage, or none that I can see yet.

Radec has 2 TSP's one in the centre room that had two connecting tunnels to either teams base in KZ2 and the other is in the room directly opposite this. There are a few layout changes to spawns. Extra stairs and exits added as well as cover but it still retains the same basical layout of Radec. The spawn which is near to the library and the lecture room is the dominant TSP. You keep this spawn and you're gonna win a lot of rounds. Speaker drop off is just outside this and s&d's have been moved to the library and lecture rooms. It can get very very hectic in this room during most missions as players begin to swarm in.

Tharsis has been revamped a lot. There are tons of new walkways added on top because of the jetpacks and right now I don't really understand where I'm going. There are a few places I can gather my position HGH base, ISA base and middle but there's a lot more corridors that I remember in Tharsis now lol.

dazed808

Played a few rounds on the new maps and really enjoyed them. Radec is still the hectic, potentially clusterfucky, map it always had been but it seems to work well with the changes they have made and if GG wanted to give the same tretament to the rest of the KZ2 maps I'd be there day 1. The missile base looks amazing and the multiple routes to each objective/spawn, while initially confusing, should reduce the frustration of the "corridor" type gameplay that some of the other maps suffer from.

Lince said:
so if that's true it's time to give the game another chance then, I played 300+ hours already so I won't mind playing some more specially if I can find my friend Rick (Dazed808) there

I'd be delighted if you and a few of the old crew came back mate. Had a round with Dave earlier (though the game froze on me halfway through) and it reminded me of the countless late nights/early mornings we all played together . There is still a few of us playing most (late) nights and I've even rejoined the clan.
After picking up all the toys I threw out my pram ;)

Oh, and Marksman are still overpowered fuckers that are the bane of most of my games but this is GG so I'm not expecting them to resolve that anytime soon but Tacticians are definitely more evident now and overall the game is more playable for it.

Edit: I can't believe they haven't added a "join" option to the clan list yet. I wanted to jump into Dibbz game earlier but it wouldn't invite for some reason, so even though there's potential clan members for me to play with, I can't just jump into their game.

patsu said:
Yeah that's why I suggested using the chatroom. Everyone can send the chatroom to their GAF friends without bumping into friends list limit. Some of them can probably add you to a clan of some game you like, not just KZ3.

I think it's one of the best XMB features, although it has some flaws.

FTSG isn't coming up on clan...????

Dibbz

Just copy and paste FIX THIS **** GUERRILLA and search for it. It should take you directly to the clan page.

If not try serach for me Dibbz and get to the clan through there.

Are you doing this through the website or KZ?

patsu

Yeah the website search is cranky. I can't search for FTSG or pwonager sometimes also. It's hit n miss. Have to retry. You can also search for patsu, Dibbz, Lince, or any existing member and then click on the clan logo.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have freezing occur when a friend logs in and you are respawning? I think it's the dumb saving each time you respawn that is making this problem occur for me.

Top Bottom