• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Zen

Banned
I was in the camp of disliking Killzone 3 multiplayer, but these new maps work exceptionally well. Unlike almost every map that the game shipped with. I think that the player base has also dramatically improved, so while things are still much faster than Killzone 2, and I do wish taht the guns had slightly more recoil and a lower rate of fire, things feel less spammy than they did around launch.

The campaign is still bleh, nothing can fix that.

patsu

MarshMellow96 said:
Yeah, this game is pretty bad online.

2v2 with 10 minutes? Ergh.

Every. Single. Player is a fucking tac camping with a sentry, an infiltrator or a marksman..

So much fire first die first going on too.

If the number of players is small, it's natural to spawn as Tacticians to grab the TSPs. When the number of players increase, you'll see more variety.

If there is no Engineer on the field, you can be one and claim all the ammo depots on the maps. You'll lay the groundwork for subsequent missions.

Not sure about fire first die first though. The gunplay is pretty fair so far. Why would people camp if fire first die ?

Dibbz

MarshMellow96 said:
I'm trying to like this game, man.
Yeah fair enough but KZ3 is not a pick up and play type of game. Complaining that some players kill you with a different class is a bitch move.

If you are serious about playing KZ3 I'll add you to the GAF clan and you can roll with some of us so you get the hang of it.

Yeah, they were just reactionary observations from playing a couple of games of 2v2/3.

It's getting better now that I'm unlocking stuff.

Dibbz said:
Yeah fair enough but KZ3 is not a pick up and play type of game. Complaining that some players kill you with a different class is a bitch move.

If you are serious about playing KZ3 I'll add you to the GAF clan and you can roll with some of us so you get the hang of it.

It was more to do with getting irritated by going marksman in a 2v2. I'm fine with it, but it was irritating.

I've tried looking for the GAF clan on killzone.com but I can't seem to find it..

Massa said:
First your points get multiplied by 1.25 (you should consider winning to get 1.5 :p), then the extra XP appears as "Bonus points".

Heh it's the first time I've ever played! I was struggling with the controls and kept getting my throat cut, getting the hang of it (slowly) now though :)

Dibbz

MarshMellow96 said:
Yeah, they were just reactionary observations from playing a couple of games of 2v2/3.

It's getting better now that I'm unlocking stuff.

It was more to do with getting irritated by going marksman in a 2v2. I'm fine with it, but it was irritating.

I've tried looking for the GAF clan on killzone.com but I can't seem to find it..
Just search for me Dibbz and get to the clan through my profile. I can't log into Killzone's site right now won't let me so send me a request and I'll get around to adding you.

patsu

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Heh it's the first time I've ever played! I was struggling with the controls and kept getting my throat cut, getting the hang of it (slowly) now though :)

Oh shit, first timer. Shoot at *everyone* to learn how to deal with Infiltrators.

Fire at corners and obvious blind spots for hidden Marksmen even when no one's there.

Pick up weapons from the ground to keep your ammo healthy. M82 is the best gun. Know where the ammo depots are.

Pay attention to mines at choke points.

But don't think too much. Just die and learn. Join the clan !

EDIT: May be easier to play and level up as Medic initially.

Dibbz said:
Just search for me Dibbz and get to the clan through my profile. I can't log into Killzone's site right now won't let me so send me a request and I'll get around to adding you.

I can log in but everything is unavailable. Will try again later.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Anyone else getting some weird pause in the animation when you try to resupply at an ammo cache? Happens in a few places, but more on Stahl Arms than anywhere else. Could be lag but I never had this happen before the most recent patch.

Stoffinator

Mooreberg said:
Anyone else getting some weird pause in the animation when you try to resupply at an ammo cache? Happens in a few places, but more on Stahl Arms than anywhere else. Could be lag but I never had this happen before the most recent patch.

I found my lag/freezing was due to people signing in and out of my friends list. So I disabled notification. This is the same problem both Fallout games suffered from.

test_account

XP-39C²
If there are few players on the servers, just join another server. Happened to me earlier today, just joined another server and there was many people there =)

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Stoffinator said:
I found my lag/freezing was due to people signing in and out of my friends list. So I disabled notification. This is the same problem both Fallout games suffered from.

It has never really coincided with that, but I'll see if that does anything. It is usually just a few seconds of your arms not being visible, then reappear and you get no ammo. Also a strange issue on Turbine Concourse where I get the 150XP for the EMP shutdown (just got a medal for having done it for the 25th time last night) but it keeps going anyway.

I'll look into the GAF Clan page when the website is working properly again. That thing seems to be malfunctioning every single time I try to use it to look at my own progress or search for somebody.

Will be interested to see what else they do to sniper class in the future. I never actually had a problem noticing the "shimmer" before. I thought the problem people were having was snipers that were smart enough to camp indoors and use the assault rifle in conjunction with the radar jamming and cloaking.

Triple XP got me back in, loving it. The dlc maps really are so so much better than the original ones. They should do a bungie and eventually give old map packs for free as the community needs these.

Cyberia

This game is graphically quite a masterpiece isn't it. Just really amazed on how well the game holds up. Lente missle base looks absolutely stunning. Mother of god. And after playing the Gears 3 beta that still isn't even in the same league. Not even close.

Dibbz

Stoffinator said:
Yes this happens when ever people sign in on your friends list. Ever since the patch that added shows which mode and map your playing under your name in XMB this has been happening. GG know about it so hopefully a fix is on the way.

Good games today Dave. There was one match though we played at Stahl Arms where the other team (was only like 6v6) were mostly tacticians and all they were doing was running around fucking shooting rockets at point blank. Did we win that one? Can't remember but holy fuck did they piss me off. Rest of our games were pretty solid and we won most :D

Now that I'm starting to get into it... Damn, I really like it.

The last match we were losing 1-5 in Warzone. We had a plant objective on Radec and it felt as though none of us were going down without a fight. We took the tactical spawn and pushed on from there. Literally the last move of the game was me running towards the bombs shooting at a guy who was trying to disarm. Needless to say - I got blown up, but I took the other guy with me and we, at least, won that round.

I'm quite enjoying the Medic currently. I usually play support classes in games like this because I like to keep the team ticking over. Sometimes it's a little weird when you're reviving - it's almost as if people aren't expecting you to.. Being able to get the drop on guys who are silly enough to leave a body downed is nice too. I've got a few doubles and triples out of that.

NinjaBoiX

Dibbz said:

I'm up for this Dibbz. Just bought the map bundle, wouldn't mind some pointers. GAF clan seems like the ideal place. NinjaBoiX,(no hyphens). =P

MarshMellow96 said:
Now that I'm starting to get into it... Damn, I really like it.

The last match we were losing 1-5 in Warzone. We had a plant objective on Radec and it felt as though none of us were going down without a fight. We took the tactical spawn and pushed on from there. Literally the last move of the game was me running towards the bombs shooting at a guy who was trying to disarm. Needless to say - I got blown up, but I took the other guy with me and we, at least, won that round.

I'm quite enjoying the Medic currently. I usually play support classes in games like this because I like to keep the team ticking over. Sometimes it's a little weird when you're reviving - it's almost as if people aren't expecting you to.. Being able to get the drop on guys who are silly enough to leave a body downed is nice too. I've got a few doubles and triples out of that.

I absolutely love the Medic class. There just aren't enough around... which is unfortunate, but it does leave the door open for me to step in. I love the feeling of being able to turn the tide of a battle with a few well selected revives.

I remember my brother and I absolutely rocking the Medic class during three Warzone matches and two Operations matches. Only two on the team, but we kept everyone alive almost constantly. Two Medics working in tandem, communicating and focusing on support and you can absolutely win anything.

Stoffinator

If anyone wants to play let me know. I am online for most of the night and probably tomorrow. Would love to play with some of you Gaffers.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Dibbz said:
Yes this happens when ever people sign in on your friends list. Ever since the patch that added shows which mode and map your playing under your name in XMB this has been happening. GG know about it so hopefully a fix is on the way.

Good games today Dave. There was one match though we played at Stahl Arms where the other team (was only like 6v6) were mostly tacticians and all they were doing was running around fucking shooting rockets at point blank. Did we win that one? Can't remember but holy fuck did they piss me off. Rest of our games were pretty solid and we won most :D

Hey add me mr. Dibbz PSN is Travaughn I d like to play with the gag clan sometime

Stoffinator

patsu said:
Go to killzone.com and search for FTSG (fix this **** guerilla). Send your request to join from there.

I would, but I can't sign into the site and nothing loads. Just the same page. :-\ But if anyone wants to play, just add me (same name as here) on PSN.

Ezahn

Yeah, I'd like to join the GAF crew as well, only thing is: I live in Italy and I understand most of you are in the USA. ^^

Still, my PSN id is same old Ezahn if you're so kind to have me (I used to run my own little clan, but it's gone now, may it rest in peace).

Dibbz

I've sent clan invites to Travaughn and NinjaBoiX, ou just need to go on KZ3 and accept them. Anyone else who wants to join PM me your PSN and I'll send you a clan request.

Ezahn You're still in a clan it says so I can't send you an invite till you leave or disband.

Ezahn

Dibbz said:
Ezahn You're still in a clan it says so I can't send you an invite till you leave or disband.

Tnx Dibbz, I disbanded the previous clan. I'm free now.

The frustration I received playing this week end is incredibile still, I don't know if I'll have the guts to play KZ3 online again.
I generally suck, but still in the whole triple xp weekend I sucked so hard it wan't an ounce funny. I kept on playing only to get xp, but because of all the sucking I did not get shit.
(and the sound design of KZ3 just annoy me to death, I had to "mute" the system)

0 x3 = 0

I think I won maybe 1 on 30 match. I beat all statistics, all odds.
Not joking. I'm starting to feel like the Tutankhamon of videogames. ^^
I don't even know how some of you can get 35-39k xp a match.
More power to you guys!

I do like KZ3 multiplayer, but really, I'm 35, sometimes I play passably, many other times I just suck. I'm seriously thinking of giving up online gaming for good.
Maybe I'll come back to try Battlefield 3 on my new pc when the time will come.

patsu

How did you " die" usually ? Getting sniped ? stabbed ? Camped ? C4 ? Killed while disarming explosives ? Or in a fair fight ?

Thrakier

Dibbz, plz add me on PSN (Seph).

Holy fuck does the missile base map look good. Some parts are so stunning (when watching against the sun) that it almost looks like it's not current gen anymore. It's such a beauty. Shame that the framerate goes down in MP sometimes but at least in SP and vs bots the framerate is 30 all the time. That's a masterpiece. Great great map and unbelievable graphics.

BeeDog

Thrakier said:
Dibbz, plz add me on PSN (Seph).

Holy fuck does the missile base map look good. Some parts are so stunning (when watching against the sun) that it almost looks like it's not current gen anymore. It's such a beauty. Shame that the framerate goes down in MP sometimes but at least in SP and vs bots the framerate is 30 all the time. That's a masterpiece. Great great map and unbelievable graphics.

Seriously, the KZ3 engine is fucked up. Playing vs. bots is relatively smooth, but it doesn't cope well when you play against online players. I mean, I would assume that calculating the AI routines is somewhat taxing on the PS3, but when playing online, the framerate keeps dropping even when nothing happens on screen. Because of this, I assume the netcode is extremely taxing in some way, or the engine keeps drawing/rendering shit it doesn't need to.

And yeah, I agree that the Missile Base stage is unreal-looking. The best graphics I've seen so far this console generation.

Rikyfree

schennmu said:
Just finished the campaign, wow it is underrated. So much better than KZ2.
If they only would have changed the sudden and abrupt ending though. But I agree, I enjoy the SP aspect FAR more than I did in KZ2.

Ezahn

patsu said:
How did you " die" usually ? Getting sniped ? stabbed ? Camped ? C4 ? Killed while disarming explosives ? Or in a fair fight ?

Well, I like my diet varied. ^_^

A great deal of sniping (sometimes with a suspect of lag... I was behind walls), a lot of explosives (I feel they are too strong atm), much much often in "fair fights" since I'm not exactly a sharp shooter. :-D

I tried to unlock a little bit of every class, also if I really can't play marksman or infiltrator (those were a waste of points for me). I prefer engineer and medic - tactic after that (but I have no weapon unlock still, only the base smg).

patsu

Ezahn said:
Well, I like my diet varied. ^_^

A great deal of sniping (sometimes with a suspect of lag... I was behind walls), a lot of explosives (I feel they are too strong atm), much much often in "fair fights" since I'm not exactly a sharp shooter. :-D

I tried to unlock a little bit of every class, also if I really can't play marksman or infiltrator (those were a waste of points for me). I prefer engineer and medic - tactic after that (but I have no weapon unlock still, only the base smg).

I think if you use the "armor" secondary ability, you should survive a mine explosion as long as you're not directly on it.

Ezahn

patsu said:
I think if you use the "armor" secondary ability, you should survive a mine explosion as long as you're not directly on it.

Yeah, I think you are right.
I use it most of the time, only when trying to go marksman (LOL@me) I go for extra primary or extra ammo.

I'll try and endure the pain, the game is really good (and the title music is just great, I'm a classica music lover and that is some fine composing).

Dibbz

Anyone gonna play now? I'm jumping on. I've sent everyone an invite to the clan who asked and have kicked a lot of people from it that I don't see playing.

patsu

Ezahn I think it's better to focus your points in 1 class first. And then use it upgrade other classes. Medic is pretty good since you gain healing points and have second chance.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Dibbz said:
Anyone gonna play now? I'm jumping on. I've sent everyone an invite to the clan who asked and have kicked a lot of people from it that I don't see playing.

Cool i'll prolly be on around 11 r 12 if anyones guna be on est btw

Ezahn

patsu said:
Ezahn I think it's better to focus your points in 1 class first. And then use it upgrade other classes. Medic is pretty good since you gain healing points and have second chance.

Yeah tnx, maybe I'll try and focus on medic and eng, I don't have any secondary weapons atm and the silenced M82 of the medic... let's say it depens on the occasion, sometimes it seems great, other much much less great. I think a very good aim is important with that, unfortunately for me - I tend to Panic in close quarters, even if I try not to.

BTW had some lively matches with Dibbz (sorry, have not seen your invite messages after you went off!) and tried to do something useful, even if most of the times I finish the round wiping the floor of the 10-12 place.

test_account

XP-39C²
BeeDog said:
Seriously, the KZ3 engine is fucked up. Playing vs. bots is relatively smooth, but it doesn't cope well when you play against online players. I mean, I would assume that calculating the AI routines is somewhat taxing on the PS3, but when playing online, the framerate keeps dropping even when nothing happens on screen. Because of this, I assume the netcode is extremely taxing in some way, or the engine keeps drawing/rendering shit it doesn't need to.

And yeah, I agree that the Missile Base stage is unreal-looking. The best graphics I've seen so far this console generation.
Correct me if i' wrong, but isnt botzone only 16 players? Online multiplayer is 24 players. Guerilla Warfare has 16 player though, and i cant remember to have noticed any big framedrops there.

It was like this in Killzone 2 at least. I remember that the 16-20 player matches had much smoother framerate compared to the 32 player ones. I also belive this is why Guerilla Games dropped the player count in Killzone 3 from 32 players to 24 players.

Personally i'm fine with the framerate in KZ3. Although that the framerate drops sometimes, it doesnt really affect my playing :)

Zen

Banned
schennmu said:
Just finished the campaign, wow it is underrated. So much better than KZ2.

I really really disagree with that, but to each their own. I found Killzone 2 had much more variety and fun game play moments. The highlight of Killzone 3's campaign, for me, was actually the jungle which was very well realized.

Zen said:
I really really disagree with that, but to each their own. I found Killzone 2 had much more variety and fun game play moments. The highlight of Killzone 3's campaign, for me, was actually the jungle which was very well realized.

The jungle mission was pretty awesome. I had to play through the first time with my girlfriend and it she was shooting everyone on sight. It was nice to get around to playing it stealthly.

I'm about tonight but I'm swapping with my brother (he wants to play MGS4). I still can't access any clan invites either.

Acrylic7

Zen said:

I hated the Jungle mission.

I was so pumped when they released the concept art from the Jungle level. Its plays like garbage. Then they told us that the wildlife would attack players and whatnot. Again my expectations went waaaaaaaaaay up. After KZ2 I thought they could do no wrong, just improve on things. Then I'm getting poked by scorpion tails and small insects. Wasn't very fun imo.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Acrylic7 said:
I hated the Jungle mission.

I was so pumped when they released the concept art from the Jungle level. Its plays like garbage. Then they told us that the wildlife would attack players and whatnot. Again my expectations went waaaaaaaaaay up. After KZ2 I thought they could do no wrong, just improve on things. Then I'm getting poked by scorpion tails and small insects. Wasn't very fun imo.

that is one of my favourite levels. It's good that I missed boarding to the hype train.

Wow multiplayer is terrible in this game, worse then killzone 2, just got platinum, lots of frame drops, in co-op its much worse with bad pop in. natko wasn't in the story at all which was disappointing, was much easier then killzone 2, killzone 3 seemed a step backwards for me. And I am so tired of developers adding trophies to DLC I will never get therefore ruining my 100% score seriously they should only be activated once I've purchased anything from them

Acrylic7

UnblessedSoul said:
Wow multiplayer is terrible in this game, worse then killzone 2, just got platinum, lots of frame drops, in co-op its much worse with bad pop in. natko wasn't in the story at all which was disappointing, was much easier then killzone 2, killzone 3 seemed a step backwards for me. And I am so tired of developers adding trophies to DLC I will never get therefore ruining my 100% score seriously they should only be activated once I've purchased anything from them

When you say "worse than KZ2", are you suggesting that KZ2 multiplayer is bad?

So I've been back this week end into KZ3's MP and my impression is still the same that I had at lunch. The experience is terrible. But the reasons changed.

The map design is abyssal. There's no map (but Salumon Market) that don't end up a spawn rape. The design is so poor, that the few exits from your spawns, open to narrow areas where you can be ambushed from larger area. If you get out and check your right, enemies can be right, front, left, or upward. This is even worse because Snipers can one shot you from any distance, wereabout the bullets hit you. Plus, rocket launchers are given to 2 class as a secondary (yes, secondary) weapon. Last but not least: proxy mines. Not only you can spawn as much as you want, but they one shot anyone.

So here's the basic base rape situation: you spawn, you get snipe by a tactician, medic, sniper or infiltrator (4 of the 5 class), because they have rifles that have NO RECOIL and can you you full auto from across the map. So next time you spawn, you run mindlessy to avoid bullets and try to find a safer spot, few meters away from the spawn exit. But as you run to avoid getting shot, you can't see/dodge proxy mines. You die. Again. And this goes for several minutes, because the entire opposite team is base raping you.

Other case scenario: my team is spawn raping them. It's even less fun, because the entire game is focus on raping players trying to sneak out their base while 3+ people are ambushing every possible way out.

So why so many game end up in base rape ? Because design is made out of narrow corridors. The only few maps where I never saw base rape, even if the entire map and game were wrap and one sided are Salumon Market, Corinth Highway and Lente Missile Base. Why ? Because they are actually open wide.

Games feel so imbalance on so many levels, it's like it's broken to the core. I've been raped by engineers with the Higs chaingun the entire week end, being sniped by this gun from afar, in an instant, while I couldn't put more than 2 straight shot in a dude, with the same gun, crouch, not moving. Because of the reticule going wild, disperstion made it useless. But somehow, some players were able to snipe me with this gun. This feels like a glitch or an exploit.

Recoil and dispersion need to get back to KZ2. You can basically snipe with any scoped rifle, even in full auto. Being a sniper is easy. But being a counter sniper is way too easy. Thus, the marksman doesn't have any good perks to prevent medic/infiltrator/tactitcan to counter them, because their scoped rifles basically rape snipers for breakfast, from the distance. And when a rifleman match or outclass a marksman with his main gun, you know there's a problem.

Rocket launcher need to disapear. And the Extra Ammo perk shouldn't apply to grenade, rocket launcher nor proxy mines.

Why Air Support desapear when you die as a Tactician while turrets for the Engi don't ? It's so lame: it feels like you have to call air support more oftenly than you have to spam proxy mines...

Why should I have to unlock perk per class so slowly at later levels ? It's just absurdly dumb. You want to by a marksman ? Fine. You want to be a Medic ? You gotta work for it. Once you maxed out 2 class, you are in a world of trouble to grind the perks or the other ones... I'll never be able to experience some of the later perks or weapons for some class because Guerilla thought it would be nice for players to choose carriers and stick with it. This is not WoW people, this is Killzone. It's a shooter, not a role playing game where you stick with your race, talent and job. I shouldn't have to grind for dozens of hours to get a class decently equiped. BF Bad Company 2 was lame as fuck to throw you as a medic without any... medic abilities but the game was giving you items and upgrades really fast. Killzone 3 feels like a Korean free 2 play RPG in comparaison...

The entire double perk system from KZ2 needs to come back. Being a Infiltrator Medic or a Tactician Marksman was awesome. They stick with a single way system that doesn't allow you to play your still. They just give you choice of weapons (if you can unlock them) and perks (if you can unlock them). It's plain ass stupid considering they fucked up the balanced even harder with frozen class.

Overall, KZ3 mp is a terrible experience. Sure, the gunplay is visceral, gritty, fast paced and kicks you in. The graphics are great and art is on of the slickest for the genre. But the design flaws and the abyssal level design is killing it. And so little do anyone care about graphics, when gameplay is just broken. The popularity of games like CS 1.6 or even Wow shows that you that a tigh, balanced and fair gameplay is all you need to keep people playing for severals years. It's such a shame, considering the amazing basics they had with KZ2. But no, they had to fuck it up that bad...

Top Bottom