• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Zen

Banned
Man I barely encounter Marksman players. They're more common than engineers and medics, to be sure, but I never see more than 2 or 4 in a full game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Lince said:
well fuck me, Pwonager and I must have been playing a totally different version of Warzone for 250+ hours.

My final stats (just sold kz3)

KZ2:
14,927 kills/14,944 deaths
247 hours

KZ3:
1,337 kills/1,263 deaths

needless to say, GG won't be getting my money day 1 next game.

Lince

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
You played 250+ hours this weekend?

is that a serious question when I just stated I barely played 5 matches?

lol

don't worry I understand you, KZ3 has fixed itself during these months, no more marksmen abuse, no more camping, everyone playing for the objectives and Tacticians are supporting each other capturing and keeping those TSPs 'alive', it's just me doing it wrong isn't it... now seriously, guess I was just unlucky to get matched with the last remnants of shitty-selfish KZ3 players. I'll give the game another fair chance after the summer before Resistance 3 and Bad Company 3 hit.

edit

Killzone 3 stats:

http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_GB/mykillzone/overview.html?name=Lince_SPAIN

256 hours

4,362,454 Total Points

17,300 Kills

9,800 Deaths

1,035 Headshots (hs hitboxes are broken compared to KZ2)

1.76 K/D Ratio (not bad for dying over and over again being the only tact along with pwon trying to capture TSPs)

1,499 Total Ribbons

Longest killstreak: 41 (playing as a Marksman of course, I'm not Jesus).

soooooo I guess I know a couple of things about this game....

scoobs

alr1ghtstart said:
My final stats (just sold kz3)

KZ2:
14,927 kills/14,944 deaths
247 hours

KZ3:
1,337 kills/1,263 deaths

needless to say, GG won't be getting my money day 1 next game.
I see what you did there

test_account

XP-39C²
Lince said:
it is, Operations is where coordinated teams play using different classes best suited to each situation, Warzone is mostly full of camping bitches trying to enlarge their K/D ratio (while ignoring objectives).
Ok, i see. Maybe that is why i have a different experience with KZ3. My experience doesnt match all of the complains i have seen at least, but we all have different experience with things, nothing wrong with that :)

BattleMonkey said:
I don't see too many marksmen in warzone, the class is popular in regular deathmatch though obviously for those caring merely about their K/D ratios. In Warzone it's similar to recon players in BC2 in that they often don't really contribute much of anything while everyone else is actually playing the objectives.
I understand. I have actually started to use the marksman class more now, but that is mostly due to using that Helghast assault rifle.

Lince said:
is that a serious question when I just stated I barely played 5 matches?

lol

don't worry I understand you, KZ3 has fixed itself during these months, no more marksmen abuse, no more camping, everyone playing for the objectives and Tacticians are supporting each other capturing and keeping those TSPs 'alive', it's just me doing it wrong isn't it... now seriously, guess I was just unlucky to get matched with the last remnants of shitty-selfish KZ3 players. I'll give the game another fair chance after the summer before Resistance 3 and Bad Company 3 hit.

It's called sarcasm, but again you love to talk in extremes it seems. No one said the game is perfect and magically all fixed, but of course you seem to act like KZ2 was a masterpiece even though you were one of the most vocal critics of the game when it was out.

But hey, you played hundreds of hours of it, that means something.... I guess.

Lince

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
It's called sarcasm, but again you love to talk in extremes it seems. No one said the game is perfect and magically all fixed, but of course you seem to act like KZ2 was a masterpiece even though you were one of the most vocal critics of the game when it was out.

But hey, you played hundreds of hours of it, that means something.... I guess.

I know it was sarcasm my friend, I don't love to talk in extremes I'm just salty... I edited my post, I still love Killzone... I'm still so bitter and disappointed with what they did to KZ3, maybe if I never played Killzone 2...

I'm not the person to ask about the quality of the game, I've been saying it since day one in this thread, KZ3 is a fun game but immensely flawed compared to KZ2, which is the best online shooter I've played this gen, I'm biased, that's why I don't post here anymore / transferred the clan leadership / complain again whenever I have the chance (new DLC). Glad a lot of people here enjoying the game, good for you/them. Don't take me wrong I really hope I could have played with you all during the legendary GAFe KZ2 ownage & late night parties year.

Game is flawed no doubt, though I think it has gotten better. The maps still are one of the weakest parts of the game with some really awful ones shipped with game, I only actually liked 2 of them. KZ2 was highly flawed to me as well, so this just seems like they tried again but created all new problems when recreating the MP component instead of just improving on KZ2. I would have loved more of a hybrid of ideas from 3 and 2 but they obviously created something pretty different here. I also never cared about clan features and such so that obviously never was an issue for me as it was for many others.

I hadn't played in a while but came back for the triple xp and new maps, and had a good time with the game and especially the new maps. Flawed game of course, but still prefer it to most other shooters on consoles right now.

Lince

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Flawed game of course, but still prefer it to most other shooters on consoles right now.

no doubt my friend, but I'll just end my boring comments here today with my classic 'I expected a lot better/more from Guerrilla after KZ2' reply. Sometimes while playing KZ3 I thought to myself that they somehow designed the game printing GAF KZ2 / KZ3 beta feedback all over the office making sure they were offering exactly the opposite we asked for.

alr1ght

Lince said:
no doubt my friend, but I'll just end my boring comments here today with my classic 'I expected a lot better/more from Guerrilla after KZ2' reply. Sometimes while playing KZ3 I thought to myself that they somehow designed the game printing GAF KZ2 / KZ3 beta feedback all over the office making sure they were offering exactly the opposite we asked for.

I think we all came to the correct conclusion a while ago: KZ2 was only good by accident. "Default" KZ2 was not very good. Being able to tweak it so much allowed the community to fix most of the problems and make it godly. KZ3 is probably just as broken as KZ2, but you can't fix it yourself.

Lince

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
I think we all came to the correct conclusion a while ago: KZ2 was only good by accident. "Default" KZ2 was not very good. Being able to tweak it so much allowed the community to fix most of the problems and make it godly. KZ3 is probably just as broken as KZ2, but you can't fix it yourself.

lol don't tempt me to stay here longer I might get banned again due to friggin' Killzone... yep that was the general consensus among us the KZ2 vets, but how do you fix the TSP system? and the lack of SL spawns? custom games added through patches are worth nothing when the game is broken at its very foundations (and they're only private lol... more salt to the wound).

Seems like Guerrilla get rid of Martin Connor (lead mp designer for KZ3) this very June. So if KZ4 is ever happening maybe there's still some hope. I feel sorry for 'Playground Games' though.

http://nl.linkedin.com/pub/martin-connor/5/438/681

Martin Connor's Experience

Lead Game Designer
Playground Games
Privately Held; Computer Games industry
June 2011 – Present (1 month)

Lead Multiplayer Designer
Guerrilla Games
Privately Held; Computer Games industry
February 2010 – June 2011 (1 year 5 months)

Lead Multiplayer Level Designer
Rockstar North
Public Company; 51-200 employees; Computer Games industry
May 2005 – February 2010 (4 years 10 months)

Games Designer
vis entertainment
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Information Technology and Services industry
August 1997 – April 2005 (7 years 9 months)

alr1ght

Lince said:
Seems like Guerrilla get rid of Martin Connor (lead mp designer for KZ3) this very June. So if KZ4 is ever happening maybe there's still some hope. I feel sorry for 'Playground Games' though.

and they re-hired KZ2's lead (Eric Boltjes) back a few months ago. :D

Lince

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
and they re-hired KZ2's lead (Eric Boltjes) back a few months ago. :D

of course, Guerrilla Games & Sony know they failed miserably to cater to the CoD audience and alienated 99% of the KZ2 fans in the meantime, Eric could have done wonders with KZ3 just by tweaking a couple of things here and there, I remember in the KZ2 forums he once admitted some of the KZ2 flaws but that fixing them was out of his hands for KZ3... lol no wonder, he was leaving for another company!

test_account

XP-39C²
Lince said:
I think that the beta came out too late to do any dramatic changes. The beta came out October 25th and the game went gold January 14th. And GAF probably only represent a small fraction of all KZ3 players. I'm sure that there are people out there who enjoy KZ3 a lot more than KZ2 due to the bigger changes. Impossible to please everyone unfortunately :/

This reminds me a bit of Modern Warfare 2 VS Black Ops actually. I have a friend who love MW2 and was really excisted for Black Ops, but he didnt like the multiplayer at all and sold the game quite fast. I've seen many of the opposite reactions as well, that Black Ops is better than MW2. Changes like the removal of quick scoping was a hot topic, someone loved it, someone hated it. Then it is impossible to cater to everyone.

Lince

Banned
test_account said:
I think that the beta came out too late to do any dramatic changes. The beta came out October 25th and the game went gold January 14th. And GAF probably only represent a small fraction of all KZ3 players. I'm sure that there are people out there who enjoy KZ3 a lot more than KZ2 due to the bigger changes. Impossible to please everyone unfortunately :/

true my friend, you've been there since the very first day of Killzone 2 so I guess you can understand my feelings. The day Guerrilla announced they were removing server lists / public custom games from KZ3 since 'they were too hard to understand for gamers' I felt insulted and started to prepare myself for the worst.

Facism

Lince said:
true my friend, you've been there since the very first day of Killzone 2 so I guess you can understand my feelings. The day Guerrilla announced they were removing server lists / public custom games from KZ3 since 'they were too hard to understand for gamers' I felt insulted and started to prepare myself for the worst.

Yeh they were really patronising with there "lol gamrs r dum" reasoning.

I dunno when we'll get that magic online game where all the GAF ps3 clan clique can play together nightly for laughs and for competitive rushes. It's not going to be U3, it's not that kind of game. R3, i also doubt. Maybe Starhawk, if they bother with custom games and have a robust clan and organisation system in place.

Lince

Banned
Facism said:
Yeh they were really patronising with there "lol gamrs r dum" reasoning.

I dunno when we'll get that magic online game where all the GAF ps3 clan clique can play together nightly for laughs and for competitive rushes. It's not going to be U3, it's not that kind of game. R3, i also doubt. Maybe Starhawk, if they bother with custom games and have a robust clan and organisation system in place.

we need to raise FFO and Raist from their graves first... maybe Bad Company 3? U3 parties are too small for so many GAFe Hero Kings and Resistance 3 is looking like another CoD clone... our hope was KZ3, I think my KZ3 hate started when I noticed it destroyed our hopes of another year of laughs, late-night romance, ownage, lag-drama and knives between the teeth clan games lol !

h5 GAFe Hero King Live_Feed !

test_account

XP-39C²
Lince said:
Yeah, i understand how you feel. There are afterall been done some more dramatic changes between KZ2 and KZ3. Most noticeably the match making as you mentioned, the spawn points and different ways to customize the different classes.

I think that one of KZ2's problems was that it was a more of an unique game. I mean, KZ2 was not really like any other FPS out there, and when this happens, i belive there is a bigger chance that people will either like the game or dislike the game. When they make a sequel, they try to listen to everyone and try to improve it as much as possible and also make it more accessable for more players, but that can be a very difficult task when there is either a "love it" or "hate it" game. I am very curious to see what they will do with Killzone 4.

I do agree that KZ2 was a more enjoyable game, but for me that was pretty much only because of the maps. I like the Warzone maps in KZ2 much better. When i play/played Warzone in KZ3, i pretty much only played Salamun Market. Now that Radec Academy is back, i will play that more. Luckily i like all 3 Operations maps, since that is the mode that i play the most :)

When it comes to the spawn points and match making, i'm more neutral, since i like how they both work in KZ2 and KZ3. I'm also a bit neutral on the controls. While i got very used to the KZ2 controls, i must say that i prefer the KZ3 more. They feel more responsive to me.

But yeah, i do understand how you feel due to the different changes :) It is a bit pity to hear that you dont liked KZ3 better concidering that you were/are a pretty big fan of KZ2. But hey, Killzone 4 will come, so we will see what happens then :)

Lince

Banned
^^^^^^

words of wisdom, if KZ4 happens you'll be automatically promoted to GAFe Hero King status (since that's exactly what winning the official Guerrilla Games Killzone 2 clan tournament back in 2009 did neat us, the 'Hero Kings' status, but not a single mention from Guerrilla in their web or anything... not even a 'congratulations GAF for winning our tourney' message...)

Zen said:
Man I barely encounter Marksman players. They're more common than engineers and medics, to be sure, but I never see more than 2 or 4 in a full game.

That's funny, considering it's the best class to play if you want a high K/D ratio.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lince said:
^^^^^^

words of wisdom, if KZ4 happens you'll be automatically promoted to GAFe Hero King status (since that's exactly what winning the official Guerrilla Games Killzone 2 clan tournament back in 2009 did neat us, the 'Hero Kings' status, but not a single mention from Guerrilla in their web or anything... not even a 'congratulations GAF for winning our tourney' message...)
Thanks :D I remember that i was welcomed to the round table (or something like that) by FFO when i reached 100k XP hehe :) My goal for 2009 was to reach 100k XP and i made it at like 6pm or 8pm on December 31th 2009 lol, seriously.

Really? Any reasons why GAF wasnt mentioned on the website after winning the tournament? That sucks though :\

EDIT: What happened to FFO and Raist by the way? Before i saw them almost every day on GAF, now i almost never seen them. I think i saw a post by Raist a few days ago though.

Lince

Banned
Vasilisk said:
Ok Lince you should post that in the Battlefield 3 threads ;)

honestly playing BC2 with GAF was the experience which better resembled playing KZ2 with GAFe... but my lips are sealed from now on, I sense a ban coming if I start comparing online shooters... mamoncete! Vasilisk I take for granted we're playing the Uncharted 3 beta together btw !

test_account said:
What happened to FFO and Raist by the way? Before i saw them almost every day on GAF, now i almost never seen them. I think i saw a post by Raist a few days ago though.

Raist turned into a Zombie after reaching top 5 in the Dead Nation worldwide leaderboards, FFO I don't know, it's ages since he posted over here... not to mention his favorite game of all time was Killzone 2 but after the KZ3 launch he didn't bother to comment on this thread, he stopped playing KZ3 after a couple of tries (we basically forced him to play), he dominated those few games though. Hero King indeed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Lince said:
Raist turned into a Zombie after reaching top 5 in the Dead Nation worldwide leaderboards, FFO I don't know, it's ages since he posted over here... not to mention his favorite game of all time was Killzone 2 but after the KZ3 launch he didn't bother to comment on this thread, he stopped playing KZ3 after a couple of tries (we basically forced him to play), he dominated those few games though. Hero King indeed.
Lol Zombie + Dead Nation :) Ok, i see, thanks for the info =) Also a bit pity to hear that FFO didnt like KZ3 that much, seeing how he also really liked KZ2 as you mentioned.

All this talk about KZ2 and KZ3 makes more even more curious about how KZ4 will be hehe :)

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I haven't had much problem with frame rate issues but as I mentioned before, I have been seeing some very weird lag issues since the 1.10 patch. In addition to the freezing near ammo caches or the EMP shutdown not working even after giving me the XP, last night I had the weirdest event ever. After getting some ammo at the cache closest to the water (ISA spawn side) on Frozen Dam I started sprinting towards the tactical spawn, and as I was going down the stairs and towards it the camera jumped back about 50 "in game" feet and I was getting killed by a brutal melee. Weirdest thing ever. All I can figure is the game was showing the other player that I was right in front of him, while showing me that I was far away. Also had an issue in the same match where I was all the way down a stair case but I got sniped as if I were at the top of it (it isn't like they added Wanted style bullet bending).

So hopefully whatever these problems are get sorted out in 1.11. I am actually enjoying the game for the most part, once you accept the fact that people are far less concerned with objectives in this than they were in KZ2 (I still attribute this to the scoring system... you NEEDED those 1.5 bonuses to rank up efficiently in KZ2... now, like every other shooter, you can level up just by shooting people). My KDR has gone up just by victimizing the people who like to camp near ammo caches, and non-tacticians who like to sit near TSPs with two C4 planted, cloaked, and with an assault rifle. The only huge problem is on the Helghast side of Boulevard, there is a doorway that people can snipe camp from that gives them decent cover, and a clear line of sight towards people who just got ammo or are running from a TSP. Plus there is a stairway with an indestructible base bot just behind where they stand, so to circle around them you have to waste a considerable amount of time almost creating a "Z" to go around where you wont get shot by stationary bots.

Overall there are a few things GG did that make the game not as tactical or objective oriented as KZ2, but I think a lot of issues come down to the player base as well. If one team gets that Northernmost TSP in Stahl arms, it is pretty much impossible for them to lose the search and destroy missions. Not just because of how close they can spawn in, but because the team that doesn't have it seems to give up as soon as they see the first flashing red icon indicating that a bomb is being placed. Likewise, when people think they're being smart camping in those middle parts of MAWL Graveyard (to the right and left of the crusher) all they are doing is slowing the game down. Nobody is dumb enough to keep running into there just to get shot up, and people are more than willing to throw a round rather than have their K/D spread ruined by constantly running into a camper trap. They'll just sort of lob grenades in and shoot RPG's, or try to snipe from the Helghast corner of the map. People think they're going to rack up kills by camping on the route to an objective but the common response from most people seems to be "fuck it, you can have that area."

Since people have so many unlock points left over (I'll be done unlocking Engineer stuff by level 41, and everything is already done) I wish they would bring back the ability to mix and match primary and secondary abilities. So many more people would be willing to fix ammo aches if they could activate the Tactician spot and mark to see if anybody is camping in immediate range, or get an idea on the radar if someone might be sitting down the sight line with a sniper rifle. It would be a hell of a lot more helpful to the team than just being able to plant one turret at a time.

patsu

Yeah I think one of the latter firmware or KZ3 update broke something. Once in a while, the game would freeze for me too.

PaddyOCanager said:
That's funny, considering it's the best class to play if you want a high K/D ratio.

Yeah but I don't see a lot of Marksman too. Most of them are Tacticians. Infiltrators, Medics, and Marksman next. I think Engineers are the rarest, which is a shame since it's a very powerful defense class. K/D ratio can be second to Marksman... but number of kills may be higher. Lately, I have been defending TSPs against relentless horde of Tacticians. Man, they just keep coming.

evilenger

Anyone have issues with the chat? Had trouble chatting with my buddy when we were in a squad. Changing the option for chat to squad/faction didn't make a difference.

Dibbz

evilenger said:
Anyone have issues with the chat? Had trouble chatting with my buddy when we were in a squad. Changing the option for chat to squad/faction didn't make a difference.
Did one of you guys have custom soundtracks enabled? That disables voice coms.

evilenger

Dibbz said:
Did one of you guys have custom soundtracks enabled? That disables voice coms.

Not that I know of because I've never set it before unless it was suddenly set by default without me knowing after the patch. I will double check though.

Dibbz

Even if you didn't have it enabled, if your friend did then you wouldn't be able to hear him and he wouldn't be able to hear you.

I think I recall GG saying that squad chat is also not completely 100% working right yet but they were still working on it. Faction chat should have been fine though.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
They seriously need to fix the fucking proxy mines in Radec Academy

If you're ISA LOL@You, the 3 ways leading out of the base are such narrow corridors being protected by those big bad 3 hit kill base turrets, that enemies just lob mines right there

Fuck man, they need shine a bright fucking red or green to alert players

I have seen Helgies just lob mine after mine after mine, right near the doorway, hell sometimes the fucking mine is ON THE FUCKING BASE TURRET....WAT!?!

I get grenades if you angle them they can bounce off, but how in the blue hell does an enemy place a mine on you base turret..fucking ridiculous...

Lince said:
of course, Guerrilla Games & Sony know they failed miserably to cater to the CoD audience and alienated 99% of the KZ2 fans in the meantime, Eric could have done wonders with KZ3 just by tweaking a couple of things here and there, I remember in the KZ2 forums he once admitted some of the KZ2 flaws but that fixing them was out of his hands for KZ3... lol no wonder, he was leaving for another company!

I don't want to get into a debate about this and I mean the most respect, but don't say "alienated 99%" of Killzone 2 fans. That is not true. Even if hyperbole, it just sounds ridiculous. There are a lot of Killzone 2 fans, hardcore ones I might add (myself included) who have enjoyed Killzone 3's multiplayer. Not everyone hates the game like some people like to believe.

However, I am really glad Eric is back. I am really excited to see where he takes the multiplayer in the future, although I wouldn't doubt if he is heavily involved in the new IP's multiplayer component (assuming they are going to have one). Still, that is good thing for that title!

No45

So that I don't have to go checking FAQs and risk spoilers, can someone confirm if completing the campaign on Trooper (normal) unlocks Elite, or do I need to play through on Veteran (hard) the same as KZ2? Personally I prefer to play on normal first time through, but I rarely play a game more than twice (more than once to be honest) so I'll start on hard if necessary.

Thanks.

test_account

XP-39C²
Dibbz said:
I think I recall GG saying that squad chat is also not completely 100% working right yet but they were still working on it. Faction chat should have been fine though.
Correct, GG said that squad chat isnt working properly yet.

EDIT: Found the direct quote from GG:

"Squad Only Chat. This is still an experimental feature and may not always function as expected."

Dibbz

No45 said:
So that I don't have to go checking FAQs and risk spoilers, can someone confirm if completing the campaign on Trooper (normal) unlocks Elite, or do I need to play through on Veteran (hard) the same as KZ2? Personally I prefer to play on normal first time through, but I rarely play a game more than twice (more than once to be honest) so I'll start on hard if necessary.

Thanks.
Completing the game on any difficulty setting unlocks elite.

No45

Dibbz said:
Completing the game on any difficulty setting unlocks elite.
Nice, thanks. This is my first real go at an FPS with Move so playing on normal first time through to acclimatise myself makes sense, then going straight for Elite.

Now I just need to find Move settings (and a sitting position!) that work for me.

OniShiro

Banned
I just finished the game last weekend, I might say the campaign felt a little too short, but the game was awesome, much better campaign and ending than KZ2, more varied and overall better graphics.

Gameplay wise the game felt different than KZ2, but I enjoyed both games.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet.

Is there any confirmation of a KZ4?

spats

OniShiro said:
I just finished the game last weekend, I might say the campaign felt a little too short, but the game was awesome, much better campaign and ending than KZ2, more varied and overall better graphics.

Gameplay wise the game felt different than KZ2, but I enjoyed both games.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet.

Is there any confirmation of a KZ4?

Not that I'm aware of. We do know that Guerrilla is working on a new property but a new Killzone is propably bound to happen sooner or later.

OniShiro

Banned
spats said:
Not that I'm aware of. We do know that Guerrilla is working on a new property but a new Killzone is propably bound to happen sooner or later.

I hope so, KZ3 development was much faster than KZ2, a KZ4 could probably be done in a year.

Dibbz

I doubt we will get another Killzone this generation. Especially with rumors that PS4 and next Xbox will be shown next E3.

Even their new IP could be potentially for the next generation console, since I highly doubt Sony would announce a new IP this late in the generation.

Violater

test_account said:
If Killzone 4 doesnt make it this generation, then i hope that it will be a launch window game for PS4 at least.

I honestly hope it doesn't.
I think GG should try their hand at a new IP, something in the TP genre.

Top Bottom