• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

thuway

Finished -

This is the single greatest first person shooter campaign I've played this generation. There are so many things that this game does right its hard to capture it in a block of text.

I'll write a more detailed review later, but I just want to say one thing, and I've already said this before -

Fuck whatever stupid impression your favorite 'games' journalist is repping. This is the most cinematic, entertaining, and well paced FPS you've played since Half Life.

This game deserves 10s, it has flaws, but Uncharted, Red Dead, Mass Effect 2, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 have flaws as well. I am seriously in the camp where I think moron journalists don't know what the fuck they want.

thuway said:
Finished -

This is the single greatest first person shooter campaign I've played this generation. There are so many things that this game does right its hard to capture it in a block of text.

I'll write a more detailed review later, but I just want to say one thing, and I've already said this before -

Fuck whatever stupid impression your favorite 'games' journalist is repping. This is the most cinematic, entertaining, and well paced FPS you've played since Half Life.

This game deserves 10s, it has flaws, but Uncharted, Red Dead, Mass Effect 2, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 have flaws as well. I am seriously in the camp where I think moron journalists don't know what the fuck they want.

Well damn. Are the online servers up yet?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lion Heart said:
TTP, how do you disable the Magnetometer for the move and do you recommend doing it?

XMB > Calibrate Motion Controller > X > If the sensor is already on you just need to press Triangle.

I say keep it off for the time being. If I found out KZ3 uses the magnetometer I'll let you know. I tried it with it both on and off and I haven't noticed any difference really.

Thrakier

TTP said:
XMB > Calibrate Motion Controller > X > If the sensor is already on you just need to press Triangle.

I say keep it off for the time being. If I found out KZ3 uses the magnetometer I'll let you know. I tried it with it both on and off and I haven't noticed any difference really.

But what about other games? I don't want to activate and deactivate that thing the whole time.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thrakier said:
But what about other games? I don't want to activate and deactivate that thing the whole time.

They will work fine. I have mine off all the time. If it was to be mandatory to have the magnetometer on, why would you be allowed to turn it off and launch games without some sort of warning?

Thrakier

TTP said:
They will work fine. I have mine off all the time. If it was to be mandatory to have the magnetometer on, why would you be allowed to turn it off and launch games without some sort of warning?

Yeah, but why is it in there anyway?

Steroyd

TTP said:
Elite'd

Overall wasn't as difficult as KZ2, but last section (
the space shooting
) was full of bullshit. Pity cos it leaves a bad taste after all the sweet that leads to it.

Oh no not again. :(

Steroyd

StuBurns said:
I loved the end of KZ2 I've never understood the hate. Very few games really brutalize you at the end.

On normal Radec isn't that bad, but when you play it on elite you realise the level of bullshit he is.

CozMick

Banned
StuBurns said:
I loved the end of KZ2 I've never understood the hate. Very few games really brutalize you at the end.

So very true.

Finishing on Elite made me appreciate video games again.

This generation has been nothing but on-rails, hold your hands bullshit.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
When you say end, do you mean the last boss fight? I really disliked the last boss fight in Killzone 2. I did like the ending it had, though.

spats

saw a stack of early copies for sale here but resisted the temptation to buy one. 70 euros for the standard dition? Forgetaboutit. If any finn is interested it was citymarket. I dont think they usually give a shit about street dates.

I just pre-ordered from Amazon due to the campaign demo. I skipped over KZ2 because of the demo, just didn't care for it. But KZ3 is just speaking to me, with it's 3D and Move support.

LevityNYC said:
There is definitely something wrong with the 3D in this game. Horizontal scan lines are horrible. They are present on EVERYTHING when moving. They are present on all of the menu screens too. I don't get it. On a black screen, on the right edge of the screen, there is a weird colored line on my TV. I double checked every PS3 and 360 3D game I have and none of them exhibit any of this behavior.

With the campaign demo, I've also noticed the weird colored line on the right side, but I honestly have paid it no attention. It doesn't bother me. I have not seen any "horizontal scan lines" though, the 3D looks great on my set. The campaign demo is about 100x better than the multiplayer beta in regards to ghosting, also.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thrakier said:
Yeah, but why is it in there anyway?

It's there to fix the cursor drifting as far as I know. But I have no idea why games aren't using it yet.

I think the reason why you can disable it depends on the fact that some magnetic environments can cause the feature to do more harm than good.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
StuBurns said:
Really? I think all games do the "throw everything we got at 'em" approach. I think it's a mistake, personally, but I don't think KZ2 was actually brutal on regular difficulty. It was still really well designed.

At least the last level. Not the boss fight.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Rewrite said:
When you say end, do you mean the last boss fight? I really disliked the last boss fight in Killzone 2. I did like the ending it had, though.

No.
There is no last boss fight

StuBurns

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Really? I think all games do the "throw everything we got at 'em" approach. I think it's a mistake, personally, but I don't think KZ2 was actually brutal on regular difficulty. It was still really well designed.

At least the last level. Not the boss fight.
I think they used to do it a lot, but I tend to find that most game difficult peak before the final 'act' and they ease off a little in order to make the player feel empowered and speed up the progression to build a climax.

I don't think the end if brutal either really, but it's considerably more difficult than the rest of the game.

Really as much as I tend to suck at games, I don't think they're generally harder on harder difficulties, they just require a different style of play, you become acclimatized to the amount of time you can be shot before you die very quickly in shooters. Maybe you can only take two shots on the highest as appose to twenty on the lowest, but it doesn't actually make it harder, just slower. The end of KZ2 on normal took the game from a run and gun slaughterfest to a slower, more interesting combat experience. I think it was great.

Edeuinu

Pretty pumped to dive into this tomorrow. This past year I really haven't played many games at all but pretty excited to give it a go.

Ordered from Amazon for the $20 Amazon credit, plus I have prime. #fuckyeahamazondeals

Thrakier

TTP said:
It's there to fix the cursor drifting as far as I know. But I have no idea why games aren't using it yet.

I think the reason why you can disable it depends on the fact that some magnetic environments can cause the feature to do more harm than good.

There is a device in there to fix the cursor drifting (so they know about this one) but it's not used by anyone? Move is a strange hardwarde device... o_O

Just watched my brother play the demo for the first time. He's never played any of the killzone games. Upon finishing the demo the only thing he said was, "I'd rather play this then Black Ops."

Argyle

Just picked up my copy, Gamestop here in Guam had a midnight launch. Seemed like about 20ish people waiting in line to pick up their game, the box for the Helghast Edition is ridiculous...

Downloading the patch (1.02) now and it is taking forever :p

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Argyle said:
Just picked up my copy, Gamestop here in Guam had a midnight launch. Seemed like about 20ish people waiting in line to pick up their game, the box for the Helghast Edition is ridiculous...

Downloading the patch (1.02) now and it is taking forever :p

Holler if mp is up, please. Thx!

Argyle

commish said:
Holler if mp is up, please. Thx!

"A network related error has occured.

Network request timed out. Please check network connection.

Error code 10002"

(this is after accepting the TOS)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thrakier said:
There is a device in there to fix the cursor drifting (so they know about this one) but it's not used by anyone? Move is a strange hardwarde device... o_O

Odd isn't it? :D

Anyway, I did a quick test.

Here is the video of it, but read below before watching it as I didn't have time to add commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbUKVRH-ewA

This is what you are seeing in the video/my findings.

Game used for the test is Time Crisis pre-patch with magnetometer on.
The thing I'm holding is a magnet.
Notice how the magnet affects the cursor.
Also notice how it stops affecting the cursor after some inactivity. As soon as I move the controller a bit, it resumes being affected by the magnet.

After the fade to black, you'll see me doing the same thing after having patched the game to 1.01. As you will notice, it ain't affected by the magnet anymore. Meaning the patch disabled the magnetic sensor altogether.

I tried this experiment with half a dozen games (Killzone 3 and Extraction included) and none of them reacts to the magnet. So it's fair to say none of them uses the magnetometer and that keeping it on or off or re-calibrating it doesn't make any difference for the time being.

If you have a magnet, test this yourself and let me know if you find some games which react to it.

Argyle

There seems to be a bug where the dialogue stutters and loops. Is this happening to anyone else?

This is on a pretty much brand new Slim PS3 (2501 model).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
scoobs said:
my amazon copy says it hasn't been shipped yet. Im worried gaf.
They ship it overnight. I hope this shitty weather doesn't delay them though. I remember ordering KZ2 and got an email saying they were delayed due to the weather, raged, but when I got home it was sitting there.

RaGe_pt

Loved Killzone 2 and loved the singleplayer KZ3 demo and the KZ3 open beta aswell. Will buy this as soon as I get some extra money. I envy you guys that already have this one!

DryvBy

scoobs said:
my amazon copy says it hasn't been shipped yet. Im worried gaf.

They always do that. My MvC 3 was the same way, and all the games I've ordered. Amazon hasn't messed up once for me, and I've been ordering since 2003.

Cornbread78

Steroyd said:
On normal Radec isn't that bad, but when you play it on elite you realise the level of bullshit he is.
The Radec nightmares are coming back.... AARRGGHH no....

BTW, a little over 12 hours to go...OHHHH YEEAAHHHHHH

Thanks TTP.

For me, I was having trouble with two games that absolutely wouldn't work: Heroes on the Move and LBP prehisoric moves. Sports champs, tumble, etc all worked fine. I redid the calibration (or disabled it, not sure tbh) and those two games now work flawlessly (even better aiming in the menu than sports champions now). So those games probably used the magnet or I just had a bad calibration. Anyway, I'll watch your video now :p

Massa

chris121580 said:
So for this 130 dollar move bundle, do I need an eyetoy or does it include it?

Are you talking about a Gamestop bundle? In that case it should say on the product description, but I remember someone posting that it doesn't include the Playstation Eye. There's no official $130 Move bundle from Sony.

Cornbread78

WonkyPanda said:
man, I am really on the fence. I loved KZ2 and I thought the multiplayer was a blast. However, it didn't have great legs and the community dwindled down pretty fast.

Dude, I played this straight through the summer and into the fall with no noticble drop in the community untill MW2 came out. Even after that there were rooms available to play.

chris121580

Massa said:
Are you talking about a Gamestop bundle? In that case it should say on the product description, but I remember someone posting that it doesn't include the Playstation Eye. There's no official $130 Move bundle from Sony.
Sorry, yeah that's the one I'm referring to. Thanks for the info

Cornbread78

Anyone know if they are launching a MOVE version for $399?

killzone-3-20110215035057989.jpg

Nightz

From Twitter:

KillzoneDotCom Here we go... Killzone 3 servers are up in anticipation of tomorrow's US launch! less than 20 seconds ago via HootSuite

So, do they know how many copies KZ3 sold it's first week yet? Kind of interested in the numbers.

edit: :p nvm, it comes out this week, not last.

KingDizzi

Banned
BobTheFork said:
So, do they know how many copies KZ3 sold it's first week yet? Kind of interested in the numbers.

Keep an eye on the leaderboards I guess, that should be some sort of indication. Killzone 2 did not do anything special in terms of numbers so don't expect much, it's one of the weaker first party franchises Sony has. Fingers crossed it does well though, loved KZ2 and expect to love this as well, same for inFamous 2.

-Amon-

KingDizzi said:
Keep an eye on the leaderboards I guess, that should be some sort of indication. Killzone 2 did not do anything special in terms of numbers so don't expect much, it's one of the weaker first party franchises Sony has. Fingers crossed it does well though, loved KZ2 and expect to love this as well, same for inFamous 2.

You're going well mate, first the posts in Gt5 sales thread and now this, good real good

Facism

GAME have just emailled me to let me know my order is awaiting authorisation and release fulfillment.

Wonder if it get's sent out tomorrow.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Argyle said:
There seems to be a bug where the dialogue stutters and loops. Is this happening to anyone else?

This is on a pretty much brand new Slim PS3 (2501 model).
This happened to me nonstop in KZ2. I stopped playing it.

Top Bottom