• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Dunno if I'm having lag issues, but I was kneeling, unloaded on a guy in the chest who was running toward me with the level 3 engineer gun, he stops running, pulls his gun up, and kills me >.>

plasmasd

The only thing that isn't great looking about this game is some of the skyboxes towards the end. Otherwise there is some brilliant texture work.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One of my friends is letting my borrow his PS3 while mine's in for repair. I'll be able to play tomorrow instead of next week. :D

scoobs

Never fails that I get all the worst teams EVER in every game I join lol. I just went 44-13 in operations and we lost. So sad.

I'm only a couple of chapters in (I finished
the jungle earlier as Sev was captured
), but I was just wondering this: Where's Natko? Is he in this game at all, does he come back later or what? Strange that he's not around or acknowledged at all.

newjeruse

Only complaint so far has been the weirdly-paced beginning tutorial section. There really is only one tutorial (the target shooting) and the rest of the time you spend walking through corridors and up stairs waiting for animations to trigger. It's not abhorrent or anything, but I would think the developer would want to give full agency to the player quicker than that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I'm only a couple of chapters in (I finished
the jungle earlier as Sev was captured
), but I was just wondering this: Where's Natko? Is he in this game at all, does he come back later or what? Strange that he's not around or acknowledged at all.

He's the co-op guy, so he's basically not in the game unless you play co-op. :(

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
TheExecutive said:
So, if I buy the maps and download them without KZ3 game data will they be ready to go when my game actually shows up?

I downloaded the maps with the code Amazon emailed well before the game showed up so that should work fine I would think.

For whatever reason I got three straight warzone games on Salamun Market but it got me three silver trophies so I'm fine with that. :)

Game is a ton of fun but the EXO mechs are a bit much. If you can take out the other's team two mechs quick you'll have plenty of time before they respawn to mop the floor with people. Still not a fan of the tactical spawn areas either, especially in light of being able to nail people form a mech that were running out of them. I guess there was no perfect solution since people would camp on the spawn area smoke in KZ2 but they couldn't have made it so only friendlies see where the spawn area is? I miss spawning on a squad leader too.

Surprisingly people seem to actually be sticking to objectives in Warzone which is great but I don't suspect that will last very long. Either way, having a blast so far. Going to play more campaign now.

evolution

I too am wondering what happened to natko. I wonder if GG just forgot about him when creating the story and added him last minute to co-op...lol

scoobs

is there a good way to keep your mic from going off all the time from TV sound or whatever? It seems super sensitive

LOVING THIS! I played quite a bit of the story mode today, and I'm very impressed.

Cons:
Why does Rico's voice cut out close to the end of his sentences? It kind of annoys me.
One level early on in the game had bad framerate issues.
FIX THE JET PACK WHEN PLAYING WITH THE MOVE GG, PLEASE.

Pros:
Everything else. :D I'm playing it with the Move, without the Sharp Shooter of course, and I'm loving it.

Yeah, I got the Sharp Shooter, tried it out for a while, and didn't like it. I'll try to see if I can get used to it another day since I bought the darn thing. Thing is it's kind of heavy, and I can't aim worth a crap with it. Using the Move and Nav alone are so much better.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Questions:

1. What is the point of having 3 turrets or 2 bots if you can only deploy 1 at any given time and the other comes back anyways?
2. How in hell do you add people to your clan?

ultron87

1) Download Retro map pack.
2) Get nothing but Market for the rest of the night

Grr.

I have a personal vendetta against anyone that uses the swarm missile turret thing. They will get shot in the face by my sniper rifle.

Highlight: Killing an Exo suit at point blank range with my pistol to protect the Speaker carrier. Best suicide ever.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
ultron87 said:
1) Download Retro map pack.
2) Get nothing but Market for the rest of the night

Grr.

I have a personal vendetta against anyone that uses the swarm missile turret thing. They will get shot in the face by my sniper rifle.

In GG's infinite wisdom to make the retro maps a separate map pack, if you want to play Market, you have to play market and nothing else. There's no way at the moment to add to the normal rotation. I wasn't complaining though, because it's better than the new maps :)

G_Berry

Banned
commish said:
In GG's infinite wisdom to make the retro maps a separate map pack, if you want to play Market, you have to play market and nothing else. There's no way at the moment to add to the normal rotation. I wasn't complaining though, because it's better than the new maps :)

The fuck? Separating the community on day 1 is an EPIC fail.

Been playing for the past couple days, and I'm loving it. I just wish the game was as dark and moody as KZ2. I could play KZ2 with Alice in Chains on, and it would set it up perfectly. KZ3 isn't quite as gritty, which I would have liked. Still not gonna let it stop me, though!

Just played the first level with the Move and my make-shift gun peripheral. Damn! Now I see why so many people are saying fuck you to the DS3. Shit was fun!

sinky72

Thanks for all the impression but coming from the UK, all this talk is torture as we don't get the game on official release for 2 more days yet.

KingK

I don't think I'll be able to pick this up for a while. I'm a poor college kid and I just bought LBP2 last month :(
One of my friends is thinking about getting it though because he got a Move controller for Christmas and wants to try it out on a shooter.

Btw, sorry if this has been asked, but did they fix the spawn camping issues from the private beta? I was really enjoying it other than that, but the awful spawn camping (especially on that highway map with the mechs) made me put it down and not come back.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Clemsontigers35 said:
Been playing for the past couple days, and I'm loving it. I just wish the game was as dark and moody as KZ2. I could play KZ2 with Alice in Chains on, and it would set it up perfectly. KZ3 isn't quite as gritty, which I would have liked. Still not gonna let it stop me, though!

I'm liking the variation in environments. Going from war torn city to the jungle area is a nice transition, and it helps that it looks unbelievably good. Not sure if I'm sold on the
the flashback style of story telling
but the new villain characters are entertaining. Very impressed so far.

A.R.K

Aussie launch party. Looks like Sony is spending some big bucks behind KZ3.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Gallery/248970,helghan-on-earth-killzone-3-launch-party.aspx/1

20110223125643_KZ3%20Launch%20Party%2011.jpg

Gonna start my SP now :)

That jungle level was exactly what I was clamoring for on GAF for years. I LOVE silenced weapon levels in shooters, but I haven't seen much since the Goldeneye days. Fucking brilliant.

sinky72

Lion Heart said:
That jungle level was exactly what I was clamoring for on GAF for years. I LOVE silenced weapon levels in shooters, but I haven't seen much since the Goldeneye days. Fucking brilliant.

Agree. Although not a great fan of cod games, that Ghillies in the mist level was probably one of my all time favourite levels of any game.

Edgeward

Ahhh, this game is so much fun with the move. I decided to instead this time to make the deadzone as small as possible and it definitely feels way better. I had to make the height to 10% as the movement at 0 is a little too funky as it's not as sensitive vertically as i want it to be .

I will say though that controlling the mech is not the great. The move button needs to be pressed harder to fires missiles it seems and it's harder to fire with the reticle moving around a lot because of the added shaking from stomping with a mech. And zooming in with the sniper rifle feels off, like moving around in scoped mode does not work well. It's better to just COD it and zoom in and out and snap to targets. But those are really minor to the overall experience. I'm really fucking digging it.

Just beat the game playing on Trooper.

This is a very, very awesome game. Tons of eye candy and a lot of variety in the settings. The weapons are amazing and the enemy AI was really fun to combat - especially when they mixed up the different trooper types and threw different groups at you.

However, I also found this to be an extremely frustrating experience.

Not only is the enemy AI fucking ridiculously accurate, but they do enough damage in one burst to down you instantly or put you at critical health.

The on rails sections were great except half the time I couldn't fucking see a thing because I was in critical health condition because the AI's fucking ridiculous accuracy combined with high damage meant that I was practically seeing black and white on most on rails sections towards the end of the game.

I'm really fucking angry about that - I wasn't expecting to cruise through this game but at the same time on the equivalent of *Normal* difficulty I wasn't expecting the game to be a frustrating experience either.

The QA team should have suggested a tweak to enemy damage and player health because as it stands this game is unfair and some of the on rails sections are fucking tedious.

Played SP until halfway through the
Mech
mission. Its really good so far. Game doesn't look as good as I thought it would, but it still looks amazing.

MP is... pretty good too. I kept getting owned, so I got frustrated and quit. Must have played against a whole team of Move users.

Overall, I do not regret the purchase. Definitely worth it.

Lion Heart said:

Incidentally the new Goldeneye is full of levels and stealth sections like this (but even better)

I liked the jungle, nice change of pace. Too bad
I read in a review that that's about the only stealth in the game
. Bring back Luger.

Oneself

cjtiger300 said:
Oh and anyone else extremely impressed with the musical score for this game? Seriously, I would put this Soundtrack up there with any game this gen!

Absolutely, best soundtrack in the series.. also best soundtrack from that guy & a serious contender for best soundtrack this year..

DoomGyver

Just beat it on Elite. TOO FUCKING EASY. I fucking I hate this accessibility trend. Elite felt the same as Veteran just without the crosshair.

Has anyone confirmed whether or not the 24 hour double xp starts as soon as you enter the code or once you log into multiplayer?

mr_nothin

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Just beat it on Elite. TOO FUCKING EASY. I fucking I hate this accessibility trend. Elite felt the same as Veteran just without the crosshair.

Has anyone confirmed whether or not the 24 hour double xp starts as soon as you enter the code or once you log into multiplayer?

Once it's entered, it's activated.

Just tried botzone on Corinth highway to see if they've fixed mech spawn camping, looks like they have. This is the map you'll see when you die as mech driver...

lIzOb.jpg

The red area is no-go zone for enemy mechs, if you enter its instant explosion and death. They also placed one of those powerful base bots at the very back, so enemy team can't hijack your mech.

Oh, and there's only one mech per team at any given time.

Renewman

Banned
Phloxy said:
Jesus with the horrible multiplayer, the game is fine, but jesus the long wait times and the loading are atrocious.

What region are you playing in? Since I'm in South Korea, I chose Asia and I've gotten nothing but full matches with Chinese people. I'm quite surprised.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
The sharpshooter is AWESOME. Damn I love this thing. It's very solid. I changed my settings from when I played with just the nav controller + motion controller (without the sharpshooter) to bounding box 0% width 0% height and turn the turning speed down quite a lot. I feel very fast and nimble, able to turn around super quickly and line up enemies really easily.

Only thing is the thing is built quite solid and I'll admit it's been some time since I've been working out so it's quite tiring to hold up. But I enjoy the hell out of it! Just taking a break, the intro was sweet and loving the game so far. Happy to get the two Retro packs for free with the pre-order through Amazon. They look great upgraded (and they looked great before).

I hope a lot of FPS's fully support the Sharpshooter.

I love Botzone. I am not huge into playing people online (don't really like most of the people playing online) so Botzone is great for people like me. Based on that I love Multiplayer and has since the last beta.

G_Berry

Banned
The GW (TDM) maps of which there are only 5?! Are pretty average to say the least.

Gone are the large open maps of 2. Snowdrift, jungle and crater are horrible cluster fuck maps with dam (just) and boulevard being the only 2 resembling more open maps.

I guess if TDM is you preferred mode like me, you might wanna wait for some map packs :/

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Oh and I know these messages about the Sharpshooter are going to get lost at the end of this page but the force feedback is great as well. I very much recommend it.

Thoughts after 4 hours of multi from a Killzone multi nub:

- Maps overall are "ok." None of them really stand out to me in a way that I love, but none of them are horrendously bad either. Some of the choke points tend to get a little too crowded which I wouldn't mind except that the medic's cool down takes too long to really help make a push so with a bad team you might get stuck in your spawn for the majority of the match.

- Like I mentioned, the medic's revive cooldown is just way too long. Not being able to revive 2-3 teammates around me because one revive locks me up for like 45 seconds is terrible. If I manage to survive a skirmish between 6-7 people, I, as a medic, should be able to get at least some of my teammates up and keep the push going. Also the range is pathetic. The little bot is great though. Got a good 20 kills from that little dude already.

- They don't do the best job of SHOWING each class what they can do at any given moment. Tons of Engineers not fixing ammo crates, tons of Tacticians not capping spawns, no way for players to signal medics or to see if one is nearby, etc. etc. Leaves a lot of players just running around shooting each other even though we're stuck with 1 spawn and a bunch of broken ammo crates. :|

- Infiltrators out the ass.

In the end, I did play for 4 hours straight which I haven't done in any multiplayer shooter since November so it's fun, just in need of tweaking. The loading is on the long side, and the framerate isn't the best, but the graphics are great, and all the different lighting tricks between room lighting, lights from the bots, muzzle flashes, etc. still give the game such a unique look. And I haven't even touched the campaign yet.

Beat it on Veteran a couple hours ago. Took me about 7 hours. Campaign was fun, loved the different locations and on-rails sections, but it definitely seemed to be much easier than KZ2. Can't wait to do a Move playthrough though. Everyone seems to be having a great time using it.

Well, the first hour of KZ2 > the first hour of KZ3. Definitely. This has been a shooting gallery, whereas KZ2 showed off Helghast A.I. with fairly open encounters straight away. The voice acting (except from Rico) also seems worse, which is odd. Maybe I'm just talking about Narville.

Not bad for the first hour, but it had better get awesome soon.

Did anyone else hit a bizarre 1-minute patch of like 5 frames per second? It was at the end of the first non-intro level, where you're fighting ahead of a bunch of tanks (after some guy's exo gets destroyed). Really odd, a sudden total slideshow with no rational explanation.

Top Bottom