• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

lunlunqq

Giriath_89 said:
I think it's the
nuclear devices they use in Killzone 2. They were planning to use them to begin with, and probably killed the soldier and vaguely refer to it as 'the package' because they don't want people to know that, or how they got them. If that soldier Radec kills really is ISA, then they (Visari) probably had help from some ISA or Earth factions, hence the British voice.

Yup, I think so, too.
It's the ISA nuclear bomb right before it was used on their own capital city. I think they killed all personals involved in the task to keep it a secret such that they can later blame the attack on the ISA.

GreatSage

Banned
Massa said:
I haven't played KZ3 yet (hoping to get my copy this Friday), but the idea of two people fighting for power portrayed in trailers is not far fetched at all after what happened in KZ2. Helghast still had a strong military and a pissed off and repressed population.

It's probably a good idea not too try to make too much sense of the story in Killzone.

This OP deserves massive respect. Great job mate.

BTW, I was invited to the Killzone 3 launch event last night in Sydney, Australia. It was a fantastic event and I managed to win myself a copy of the game. Sadly could not win the limited Helghast edition :(

Some pictures:

KILLZONE%203%20EVENT%20INVITATION.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0245.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

kz3%20%282%29.jpg

kz3%20victory.jpg

You can read more @ Sony AU blog and check out the video as well.

r.gun

Neo Member
bryehn said:
So, this game is totally not optimized for the sharp shooter at all. You'd think they'd have a preset scheme for it.

How so? I've played with the Sharpshooter and it felt good man!

harrytang

only 5 team deathmatch levels? pretty lame. combine that with matches that last 5 min and you get "bored of 5 levels quickly" syndrome.

also the retro map pack costing 5 dollars for levels we've already paid for? not buying that, hell no.

im all for top notch visuals but not at the expense of game content. this is as bad as halo reach.

I bloody hate the weapons and abilities available from the get-go, especially when others have unlocked a lot and many have the 24-hour-everything-unlocked pre-order bonus.

bryehn

r.gun said:
How so? I've played with the Sharpshooter and it felt good man!

I'd like to basically swap x/o on the navcon with the triangle and square on the gun itself, feels more natural to use them. Maybe I can, I tried it out briefly last night after a few beers waiting for dinner, but it just felt clunky and seeing a ds3 layout in the control options without a move one available annoyed me a bit.

nib95

Banned
Cyberia said:

DAMMIT no English!

Also, why do they always give these ultra super special charge you through the roof editions dumb helmets? if they just included a well made replica ISA/Helghan rifle I'd actually buy it. It it was one that fired those little foam darts, even better. Unless of course the latter sacrificed the quality of the item.

harrytang

I wish they had some animation going on in the connecting screen for mp so that I would know whether or not my game has froze.

it only did it once but it caught me off guard and I sat there playing Tiny Wings for about 5 min before i noticed i wasnt going into a game.

Luckily you can hear people mics so if you got a heavy breather in your lobby listen for the heaving to know you're still connected.

duckroll

/XX/ said:
After all that, can you see the tracks like any ordinary music file, individually in the 'Music' section of the XMB interface, or you have to run a application as well? And they let you copy the tracks to another device? I suppose that at least they let you transfer them to a PSP, no?

Yes. They're just mp3s. I copied them out onto my PSP and my laptop after that. To recap how dumb this crap is: It took me like a minute or so to download the 150meg crap from PSN. It took me less than a minute to copy the soundtrack to other locations from the PS3. But it took a whooping 15 fucking minutes to do two installations just to unpack that garbage. *sigh*

nib95 said:
DAMMIT no English!

Also, why do they always give these ultra super special charge you through the roof editions dumb helmets? if they just included a well made replica ISA/Helghan rifle I'd actually buy it. It it was one that fired those little foam darts, even better. Unless of course the latter sacrificed the quality of the item.
Their new IP will have Chuck Norris on a dinosaur figchting against women with laser titties on dinosaurs. so...

Nekuru

blazinglazers said:
Way to drop the ball opening night Guerrilla.

Got home with this game, feelin' excited. Tried to get into multiplayer, got error code 10006. Played single player, really underwhelmed with the super linear & directed skirmishes. Game is a breeze on Veteran, the highest difficulty. Tried again to get online, cant because 'essential game objects lost'? One more try, can't because 'the world is full'.

I'm surprised by all of the positive response in here to the campaign. I'm not feeling this at all compared to #2. The first seemed have more play in the various encounters. This one so far seems to play more like Gears of War with it's cover-centric shooting galleries. Even the graphics seem less impressive. There might be more texture detail on screen with better iq, but that cinematic combination of blur, light and shadow seems greatly reduced. KZ2 looked like a cg film at times, this doesn't.

I know I'm bitching. I'm still enjoying the game, and the graphics are impressive. I just
got into the exo-suit section
so maybe it's really gonna pick up. I guess that while I was prepared for the multi to be different from KZ2, I didn't think the campaign would be such a departure as well. It really does feel more like a COD campaign, and I don't think it even compares favorably to those either.

//edit//

Hah, yeah music is indeed epic.

Haven't gotten too far into the campaign yet. Can't say for sure if I prefer K2. But the improve controls really improve the enjoyment factor for me.

Could not get multiplayer working at first but all got better later in the evening.

Nekuru

The auto saving feels weird. I played a whole section last night then quit after the cut scene where
Rico goes after the lady that need helps
I load the game this morning and gotta do the whole section again. grrr.

U2NUMB

First off.. anyone else having issues with killzone.com? Since yesterday I can not even get the site to pull up... humm seems like something only on my chrome.. firefox has no issues.

Ok on to the game.. was not a big fan of KZ2.. the single player was fun but online was not my cup of tea due mainly to the controls. After a couple games last night.. I am pretty much blown away by the MP so far in KZ3.. loving it. Hope it continues to grow on me.

McLovin

My goodness what a short game, I got home at 5:30 and by 11:30 I was done. It took me a couple sittings to beat black ops. I'm probably gonna play it again, most of the game seems like a blur to me lol. It definitely had better flow then the first game. Visuals where amazing, but I did noticed that they toned down the motion blur significantly. The lighting was better but some of the weather effects where toned down. Controls improved 100%, but for the next game they should keep the weight of the original game on the big guns. Regular guns where fine but I felt that you could move too quickly with the bigger stuff.

Smokey

bryehn said:
I'd like to basically swap x/o on the navcon with the triangle and square on the gun itself, feels more natural to use them. Maybe I can, I tried it out briefly last night after a few beers waiting for dinner, but it just felt clunky and seeing a ds3 layout in the control options without a move one available annoyed me a bit.
This was my impressions last night with the sharpshooter. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt of me not having the patience to configure the move boundary box and other tinkering. Woke up this morning and already had an itch to get back to it and start playing :p...but it was not meant to be and instead I'm at work :/

BTW I need some 3D impressions! Anybody here playing with the sharpshooter and in 3D?

scoobs

pretty convinced that its
visari in the capsule... it just makes so much sense when you watch that opening cinematic again, plus the reveal will be AWESOME whenever they get around to showing KZ4

McLovin said:
My goodness what a short game, I got home at 5:30 and by 11:30 I was done. It took me a couple sittings to beat black ops. I'm probably gonna play it again, most of the game seems like a blur to me lol. It definitely had better flow then the first game. Visuals where amazing, but I did noticed that they toned down the motion blur significantly. The lighting was better but some of the weather effects where toned down. Controls improved 100%, but for the next game they should keep the weight of the original game on the big guns. Regular guns where fine but I felt that you could move too quickly with the bigger stuff.
What difficulty did you play on? And why the rush?.. i imagine i will just shoot up some stuff and check out the scenery every once in a while.

Massa

duckroll said:
Yes. They're just mp3s. I copied them out onto my PSP and my laptop after that. To recap how dumb this crap is: It took me like a minute or so to download the 150meg crap from PSN. It took me less than a minute to copy the soundtrack to other locations from the PS3. But it took a whooping 15 fucking minutes to do two installations just to unpack that garbage. *sigh*

Installing packages takes much longer on the PS3 if you're also downloading stuff at the same time.

G_Berry

Banned
Urg, the jungle map is probably my most hated fps mp map of all time. What a piece of fucking shit. Whoever approved that god awful map needs to be fired. I don't care how many of you reply in defense of that abomination, it's garbage and needs to be patched out of this game and forgotten.

Id like to add that on a whole, this game (mp wise) is way worse than KZ2. The maps, the lag, the graphics, the frame rate are all downgrades from KZ2. Why are there no dedicated servers? If I can't "create" a game, who the fuck is hosting this shit? I guess it's the guy that raped our whole team in warzone with 70+ fucking kills and only 12 deaths while running around spray n praying. I think the rage I have built up tonight is enough for me to leave this thread and mp in KZ3 forever. I will finish sp and trade this in for what I should have bought, MVC3.

Peace out.

Effect

Something I've been wondering about. Did it really matter in the end that
Rico killed Visari
? I haven't played KZ3 so don't know how the story unfolds (don't care about being spoiled) but in KZ2 I never really got the impression (with everything that was happening) things would have been better had that not happen.

iratA

Just came in to ad my 2 cents on the SP. Picked-up the game today and all I can say is Wow! This game is a beast visually. The SP demo is hardly any indication of how amazing the full game looks! Some of the visuals on display are mind blowing and IMO a new high benchmark for console FPS. Needless to say the graphics nut inside of me is very, very happy. For brief moments I felt like I was in some epic hollywood action movie controlling the camera. This game is a looker both technically and artistically!

Some of the cut scenes could have used a bit more of a tidy up and there are a few low-res textures here and there. But this is really nit-picking a game that is excellent by any measure and has had a world of love poured into it.

Fantastic stuff.

Oh and GG... I want an ISA Rifle Replica for the KZ4's collectors edition. Not super minature either.

Renewman

Banned
G_Berry said:
Urg, the jungle map is probably my most hated fps mp map of all time. What a piece of fucking shit. Whoever approved that god awful map needs to be fired. I don't care how many of you reply in defense of that abomination, it's garbage and needs to be patched out of this game and forgotten.

Id like to add that on a whole, this game (mp wise) is way worse than KZ2. The maps, the lag, the graphics, the frame rate are all downgrades from KZ2. Why are there no dedicated servers? If I can't "create" a game, who the fuck is hosting this shit? I guess it's the guy that raped our whole team in warzone with 70+ fucking kills and only 12 deaths while running around spray n praying. I think the rage I have built up tonight is enough for me to leave this thread and mp in KZ3 forever. I will finish sp and trade this in for what I should have bought, MVC3.

Peace out.

I know this is the last thing you want to read but it's very relevant in this case:

You mad bro?

TruHero

Banned
Got to play my neighbor's copy last night. Great visuals and DTS audio. We only played the campaign, but it was a great time. Shame there's no online campaign :(

Hopefully, I'll get to try the MP this weekend.

Facism

Renewman said:
I know this is the last thing you want to read but it's very relevant in this case:

You mad bro?

Both betas are irrefutable evidence of his findings. Only way i could stomach the MP was with KZ2 GAF clanners.

nib95

Banned
G_Berry said:

Peace out.

Rarely (if ever) do these but it seems apt.

animated.gif

It's the first day. Some people have major advantages what with everything unlocked and added bonus points. On top of that things will generally be a lot busier and more manic. You won't get a reasonable idea of how MP plays out normally till later imo.

Dibbz

Argh it pisses me off. People have completed the game and it's not even fucking out here yet.

Why does the US get games on Tuesdays anyway? The rest of the world does Fridays except them. WTF?

Nekuru

Really enjoying the feel for the default Assault Riffle in SP. Much improved over K2. Nice sound and recoil. No more foggy hud.

Am I the only one who never like using enemy weapons and prefer to stick with weapons from my on group?

brentech

I bought into KZ2 way late. When I started multiplayer, I was loving the hell out of it. It was gritty, paced correctly, and felt like a real battle early on.

Then, I leveled up to the point where everyone had some sort of bot to deploy and it completely ripped my interest away. What's KZ3 looking like for those that did the beta? I had access, but couldn't pull myself away from other games.

Nekuru

Dibbz said:
Argh it pisses me off. People have completed the game and it's not even fucking out here yet.

Why does the US get games on Tuesdays anyway? The rest of the world does Fridays except them. WTF?

I think there was a study about people being more likely to pick up games in the middle of the week as opposed to Friday night when most people go out.

scoobs

brentech said:
I bought into KZ2 way late. When I started multiplayer, I was loving the hell out of it. It was gritty, paced correctly, and felt like a real battle early on.

Then, I leveled up to the point where everyone had some sort of bot to deploy and it completely ripped my interest away. What's KZ3 looking like for those that did the beta? I had access, but couldn't pull myself away from other games.
engis, medics and tacts have bots of some kind. You can' mix badges anymore so dont worry about it for the most part. None of em are particularly OP

Facism

brentech said:

Bot spam is heavily cut down. Both teams have a limit of 2 airbots and 4 turrets. Makes engineer's pretty redundant to be fair.

Nekuru

Would be nice to implement cover in multiplayer. Though would change the game considerably.

Just started playing single player again after a long multiplayer session. Kept dying because I forgot that I could use cover.

nib95

Banned
brentech said:

I sort of feel the same way. When the saviour patch comes out, I might just create no classes or skills just shooting TDM games. I think I'd personally find that more fun.

nib95 said:
I sort of feel the same way. When the saviour patch comes out, I might just create no classes or skills just shooting TDM games. I think I'd personally find that more fun.

I always tried to do that in KZ2 but no-one ever joined.

Facism

nib95 said:

likely the FTSG clan will be doing regular customs too.

lunlunqq

My new theory about the ending. Just thought this one up during my drive to work:
It's neither Stahl nor Visari. It's actually Visari's DAUGHTER!!!! Visari knew his days were numbered at the end of KZ2. He knew the biggest obstacle for her daughter to inherit his throne are the senators, especially Stahl and Orlock. So, instead of handing down the throne to his daughter, he purposefully provoked the ISA (Rico) to kill him, creating a period of chaos and confusion, letting Stahl and Orlock killing each other in their struggle for the throne. Then, his daughter returns. It will be HIS blood that rules Helghan forever.

In KZ4 we will face a female villain!!!!

ultron87

Hopefully things in the multiplayer will calm down a little bit once everyone's 24 hour unlock everything codes wear off.

Obviously people will still have everything since it doesn't really take that long to unlock everything for a class, but at least they'll probably only have all the abilities for a single class.

Aside: The level 3 marksman secondary, which scrambles radar, seems like a downgrade from level 2, which just hides you and your allies on their radar. If I'm sneaking behind enemy lines I'd rather not be putting out radar static that screams "THERE'S A MARKSMAN NEARBY!"

Top Bottom