• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

duckroll

So I picked up the Steelbook. I put in the DLC code and grab the extra stuff (awesome Dynamic Theme!). Then the story of the soundtrack begins...

Killzone 3 Soundtrack -> 150meg download -> install -> run -> application install.

Wut? Why does it have to do all this shit, just to give me a bunch of digital tracks? Lol.

mgviperman said:
Beat it on Veteran a couple hours ago. Took me about 7 hours. Campaign was fun, loved the different locations and on-rails sections, but it definitely seemed to be much easier than KZ2. Can't wait to do a Move playthrough though. Everyone seems to be having a great time using it.

Agreed, it was a lot easier.

But...at the ending

Really? The fucking ending, what the fuck is this shit. >=O. They killed most the planet and dat fucker is still alive. WAAAAAT

So are people saying easier or harder than K2?

K2 on the difficulty one step above normal (forget what it was called) was pretty difficult for me and caused plenty of frustration. Went back down and played normal, but then it seemed to easy.

Hoping there's more of a middle ground with K3 between the two difficulties.

CartridgeBlower said:
So are people saying easier or harder than K2?

K2 on the difficulty one step above normal (forget what it was called) was pretty difficult for me and caused plenty of frustration. Went back down and played normal, but then it seemed to easy.

Hoping there's more of a middle ground with K3 between the two difficulties.

Trooper (1 step above normal) in this one seems significantly easier than Trooper in KZ2. This is based on the first 2 chapters not counting the intro (about 1 hour).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
phosphor112 said:

But...at the ending

Really? The fucking ending, what the fuck is this shit. >=O. They killed most the planet and dat fucker is still alive. WAAAAAT
Stahl surviving (assuming it is in fact Stahl) is wonderful. Mcdowell was the best thing about the game and I'd hate if he didn't return in KZ4. ;)

And yeah, the ending was really poor (
nonexistant
), but at least there was nothing so obscenely frustrating as Radec this time.

scoobs

phosphor112 said:

But...at the ending

I think the coolest theory is that its actually visari in that pod, and that at the end of KZ2, visari escapes and his stunt double is killed. That would be fucking badass. But its probably just that douche stahl.

Jesus at the multiplayer. I keep getting a 5 error code saying score cannot be recorded? I got the Helghast edition so I got 2* xp...is this messing with it?!

Just finished the game, awesome.

luka said:
Stahl surviving (assuming it is in fact Stahl) is wonderful. Mcdowell was the best thing about the game and I'd hate if he didn't return in KZ4. ;)

And yeah, the ending was really poor (
nonexistant
), but at least there was nothing so obscenely frustrating as Radec this time.

The Radec fight in KZ2 felt awesome when I finally beat it on elite, sometimes when you take away some of the frustrations, you also take away that sense of accomplishment.

I'm enjoying the game so far, just have two issues so far.

I ran into serious framerate issues for the last 2 minutes of a level. The game was running at what seemed like 10 or 15 fps. After I beat the level, the framerate was back to normal.

I tried using Move controls at first but it felt weird, so I switched to DS3 after about 10 minutes. I just wanted to progress through the campaign, so I didn't mess around with the setting yet, but does anyone have any suggestions?

DIrtyWeasel said:
I ran into serious framerate issues for the last 2 minutes of a level. The game was running at what seemed like 10 or 15 fps. After I beat the level, the framerate was back to normal.

You are the 3rd person to say this (including me). It was really odd, because it was sudden and inexplicable. I even ran back to the are right before, where there was NOTHING going on anymore, and the frame rate was still like 10 fps.

I will now shut up about it.

scoobs said:
I think the coolest theory is that its actually visari in that pod, and that at the end of KZ2, visari escapes and his stunt double is killed. That would be fucking badass. But its probably just that douche stahl.
I liked stahl. He was a lunatic. Also, great voice acting this time around

scoobs said:
You know what, I'd actually love it if this turns out to be true.

scoobs

phosphor112 said:
I liked stahl. He was a lunatic. Also, great voice acting this time around
Oh I'm with you, he is great. He is so great that
I'm glad hes dead, he sold his character really well as a vicious douche bag dictator-type. If he turns out to have survived and he is the one that they wouldn't show in the cliffhanger ending.. I'll be okay with it because McDowell did such an amazing job. However, PLEASE GG make it be Visari in that capsule!

amar212

Guys, I will never stop to repeat this:

If you have finished the game on any setting, go to OPTIONS and select either GERMAN or RUSSIAN for the next playtrough.

Since you know what you should do, language will be no obstacle to advancement. And voice-acting in both Russian and German voiceovers gives a game totally another dimension.

scoobs said:

I think it's this, Stahl would be predictable.

We'll be having
them both
in KZ4 - it is viable from perspective of the story and need to
build up Helghast from the scratch on the foundations of Helghan energy. ANd leader as Visari needs such an industrilast genius to create a new breed of Helghast. Notice it was Sthal whose people were making experiments with the energy of Helghan

I expect change of eyes from red to green IMO.

thuway

I beat the game three days ago -

I want to commend Guerilla on one thing- they have found what the true essence of Killzone is. You will actually feel like you are fighting on Helghan. You will feel claustrophobic. You will feel like you are a troop on a mission. This is the most fun you'll have all year in an FPS. I find it hard to believe any FPS will top this.

I give the SP a 9.9/10.

The secret is perfecting the fundamentals. There is no odd military jargon that goes over my head, the graphics are mesmerizing, and the gunplay has been perfected.

The opening of the game starts you off in a level you wouldn't suspect. There is a small tutorial section, but its almost like a throwback to old PC games (The calm before the storm). I never thought I would see a section like this in a Killzone game. Playing this scene brought a huge smile to my face.

The next couple of levels are consistent variety and warfare. You keep going forward, switching strategies (sniping, playing stealthy in grass, small corridor warfare, on-rails sections, etc.), and traversing through every locale imaginable.

Guerilla should be commended for keeping things interesting. Most FPS games have holy shit moments that kind of fall flat while some protagonist delivers an exposition that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. This game keeps its head on its shoulders.

The Ice level from the demo is a little too long in the tooth for itself. I was hoping it would end a little sooner, but regardless, that was the only level I felt that wore its welcome out.

The single player is absolutely perfect sans a few bars-

* The on-rails sections have vehichles that never show up in multiplayer. Gears did it best where in single player mode a player controlled the gunnner and the CPU drove the machine. I understand that on-rails created a more cinematic experience, but it would be nicer to have more strategy, and it would be nice to give the player more control over said vehichles.

* The game boasts impressive features. Move (which I haven't tried), 3D (I don't own the television, but I've been able to play it at a friend's house multiple times), and split screen co-op being the big guys. HOWEVER, there are still some omissions that make no sense. Online Co-Op, horde mode, Zombies?, etc.

* Offer some resolution to players at the end. I understand its a great idea to make gamers want to buy a new product, but lets be realistic here, the next Killzone might not launch until PS4. This might be the last Killzone on PS3, so it would have been a great idea to offer something to players (like Uncharted 2), that makes players feel like they actually finished something, instead of playing an on-going saga.

* I love the cutscenes, but some of them are so poorly cut, it feels like you had no idea what you were doing. I should go easy on you, because Naughty Dog has been the only company to truly nail this medium. Take some advice, and perhaps work together on the next Killzone's story.

---

My suggestions for the next Killzone-

1. I don't think there is room for another Killzone on PS3. Save whatever your about to do for PS4. If you launch the next project on PS4, it could become the defacto shooter for that gen. The graphical jumps people are expecting out of you might prove too much.

2. Nail every bullet point. 4 Player Split Screen online and off line co-op should be included from the get go.

3. Get better facial tech from whoever Take 2 are consulting. Its jarring to see the most amazing character models look like mannicans. Its a massive improvement over Killzone 2 and only lags behind Uncharted 2 and GOW3, but this criticism is to be expected. Your Sony First Party, your amongst a group of elite developers.

4. Towards the end you hinted at a "new" idea. Whenever the next Killzone comes out, take whatever you think works - Super gun, Gravity controls, whatever - and make it your own.

Your 9/10s of the way there, there are some nitpicks, but one can tell you were bided for time. InshAllah, the next game you release will hit all the right points.

Xater

amar212 said:
Guys, I will never stop to repeat this:

If you have finished the game on any setting, go to OPTIONS and select either GERMAN or RUSSIAN for the next playtrough.

Since you know what you should do, language will be no obstacle to advancement. And voice-acting in both Russian and German voiceovers gives a game totally another dimension.

Because those languages sound evil amirite?

Always-honest said:
dammnn.. two more days.
Why the hell does your home country get the assfuck Guerilla?

It's Europe as whole that has to wait though. :( I also want to play this right now. Hopefully the online stuff will have no more problems when we get the game.

Mush

So after the disappointment-ton of the Multiplayer Beta, I cancelled my Limited Edition out of rage. Anyway, I'm going to rent it for the Single player because I actually have some what of an interest in the story. So what I want to know is, does this game wrap up the current arc, or is it just simply "here's something until the inevitable Killzone 4"?

coolcole93 said:
UK don't get it 'til Friday :/
yeah, that's in two days right? The Netherlands has the same retarded release date.
A lot of people have allready finished the game by then and have a big advantage online.
I hate that.

nib95

Banned
To be honest, and this may sound unscrupulous, but I'm willing to sell my copy to someone in London today. I plan to buy the CE on Friday and it doesn't make sense for me to double dip. It's a retail print but not in the original case. Just PM if interested.

Does anyone know if GAME will have the CE for sale at retail outlets on the day? I actually still prefer to buy from retail now and again even if it's pricier just to help the retail industry where I can.

Xater

Always-honest said:
yeah, that's in two days right? The Netherlands has the same retarded release date.
A lot of people have allready finished the game by then and have a big advantage online.
I hate that.

I can't understand why Sony is unable to do a worldwide launch with their biggest FPS franchise. I mean Microsoft is able to do this with Halo...

Mush

Xater said:
I can't understand why Sony is unable to do a worldwide launch with their biggest FPS franchise. I mean Microsoft is able to do this with Halo...
Well, there are 3 different territory's, and 3 different offices that run them. And we know for a fact that they don't err... always keep in touch with each other. :p

/XX/

Duckroll said:
Killzone 3 Soundtrack -> 150meg download -> install -> run -> application install.

Wut? Why does it have to do all this shit, just to give me a bunch of digital tracks? Lol.

After all that, can you see the tracks like any ordinary music file, individually in the 'Music' section of the XMB interface, or you have to run a application as well? And they let you copy the tracks to another device? I suppose that at least they let you transfer them to a PSP, no?

Xater

Mush said:
Well, there are 3 different territory's, and 3 different offices that run them. And we know for a fact that they don't err... always keep in touch with each other. :p

It's not really all that complicated though. The games are pressed here in Europe. It kinda just is a phone call to send it out earlier. ;)

It really doesn't need a lot of coordination between the different branches.

Mush

Xater said:
It's not really all that complicated though. The games are pressed here in Europe. It kinda just is a phone call to send it out earlier. ;)

It really doesn't need a lot of coordination between the different branches.
You try telling Sony that!

Why For?

Banned
Ok just played the demo...

THANK YOU GEURILLA! You finally fixed these fucking controls.

This game is awesome. Never thought I'd say that about a Killzone FPS (liberation is awesome).

Will definitely buy this.

Steroyd

coolcole93 said:
UK don't get it 'til Friday :/

One wonders why there's only one shop that actually has the collectors edition, and to top it off that one shop isn't Play, they're usually at the forefront of these limited edition stuff, and more often than not deliver a day or 2 bfore release date. :|

*minutes silence for coolcole93*

Ah well can't mourn too long I'm off to play a new game that came through the post today. :)

Steroyd said:
One wonders why there's only one shop that actually has the collectors edition, and to top it off that one shop isn't Play, they're usually at the forefront of these limited edition stuff, and more often than not deliver a day or 2 bfore release date. :|

*minutes silence for coolcole93*

Ah well can't mourn too long I'm off to play a new game that came through the post today. :)

It's cool, I hear from some guy called "fuzzyreactor" that Killzone 2 is better anyway ;)

conman

Mush said:
So after the disappointment-ton of the Multiplayer Beta, I cancelled my Limited Edition out of rage. Anyway, I'm going to rent it for the Single player because I actually have some what of an interest in the story. So what I want to know is, does this game wrap up the current arc, or is it just simply "here's something until the inevitable Killzone 4"?
What arc? The "current arc" was pretty much wrapped up in KZ2. There really hasn't been much continuity between the three games (though not for lack of trying). The new one begins like a fan-fiction followup: "but then, just when you thought it was all over... a successor rose from the ashes to do more, uh, bad things."

Facism

G_Berry said:
The fuck? Separating the community on day 1 is an EPIC fail.

They set that precendent in kz2. So many things in KZ3 smack of a developer who couldn't give a shit about the online community and that mp just has to be there, whilst other things shine through as the opposite, such as the forthcoming patches that add custom games and officers back into the franchise. I guess the MP staff that left made a pretty big difference at GG.

Massa

conman said:
What arc? The "current arc" was pretty much wrapped up in KZ2. There really hasn't been much continuity between the three games (though not for lack of trying). The new one begins like a fan-fiction followup: "but then, just when you thought it was all over... a successor rose from the ashes to do more, uh, bad things."

I haven't played KZ3 yet (hoping to get my copy this Friday), but the idea of two people fighting for power portrayed in trailers is not far fetched at all after what happened in KZ2. Helghast still had a strong military and a pissed off and repressed population.

kevm3

They made a huge difference for the better IMO. I like this game 1,000 times more than KZ 2. I just wish they would release more map packs for KZ2 so those fans can keep playing that game and stop complaining that KZ3 doesn't continue the direction it went in.

lunlunqq

About the ending, I think
it has to be Visari. I like Visari much better than the two new clowns. Just let him come back. Plus, at the end of the opening, we hear a soldier say "Sir, it's time to go. The ISA is here." I think this indicates that the real Visari actually escaped before KZ2's ending.

Servers are still down, can't login :( Showing the same error 10002

Edit: from KZ forum..

Downtime Notice: Feb 23, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM GMT
on 02-23-2011 09:35 AM
Hi everyone,

The Killzone 3 servers will be offline for maintenance today from 10:00 AM GMT to 12:00 PM GMT.

Apologies for the short notice!

Regards,

Ginrai

/XX/ said:
After all that, can you see the tracks like any ordinary music file, individually in the 'Music' section of the XMB interface, or you have to run a application as well? And they let you copy the tracks to another device? I suppose that at least they let you transfer them to a PSP, no?

Yes to the former, then yes and yes again.

nib95

Banned
lunlunqq said:
About the ending, I think
it has to be Visari. I like Visari much better than the two new clowns. Just let him come back. Plus, at the end of the opening, we hear a soldier say "Sir, it's time to go. The ISA is here." I think this indicates that the real Visari actually escaped before KZ2's ending.

That is indeed true (in a British voice no less). And one other thing, what was that
ISA canister attached to that ship right in the beginning opening sequence? They kill the ISA soldier who transports it for them, and then someone flies away. Stahl and Radec see whoever or whatever it is off.

V-Gief

mr_nothin said:
Is there ANY info on this yet?
Saw this on killzone.com's front page:

Killzone.com said:
MULTIPLAYER

For those who participated in the Killzone 3 multiplayer open beta, you’ve already had the opportunity to play with several of the Gameplay changes as they were present in the package you downloaded. More updates and enhancements are on the way, based on the great feedback we received during open beta.

Gameplay:

* Increased the number of melee kills needed to unlock Increased Accuracy
* StA-3 LMG has had its spread increased and overall accuracy lowered
* Lowered the range and recoil of the LS-57 SMG
* Silent Footsteps has been removed as a ribbon and is now an unlockable skill
* Capturing a Capture and Hold area in Operations will award the same amount of points as it does in Warzone – it was previously worth less
* A specific screen has been added to inform players when a Skill has been unlocked
* Medic: The LS-57 SMG replaces their previously equipped StA-11 SMG
* Medic: The M224-1A LMG replaces their previously equipped LS-13 Shotgun
* Engineer: The StA-11 SMG replaces their previously equipped LS-57 SMG
* Tactician: The LS-13 Shotgun replaces their previously equipped M224-1A LMG
* Tactician: Neutralizing and capturing Tactical Spawn Areas now have two different timers, allowing you to neutralize the ownership away from the enemy faction quicker
* Tactician: Spot & Mark has been rebalanced - it will now ‘pulse’ like a sonar for 30 seconds, rather than stay constantly active during its duration
* Infiltrator: Disguise ranges for each rank has been adjusted. At rank 1, any player can see through Disguise when targeting the Infiltrator. At rank 2, a player must be within 30m range. At rank 3, a player must be within 15m range. Additionally, Disguise at rank 2 has had its timer set to ‘indefinite’ and is no longer based on a timer.
* Infiltrator: The sprint speed modifier earned from Survivalist has been decreased
* New online trophies can be unlocked from the Retro Pack DLC
* Kick-voting has been added to online matches
* Experience points earned for completing mission objectives has been increased

Clans and Squads:

* You can no longer rejoin a clan match that has already finished
* Current clan ratings are more accurately reflected at the beginning of the match
* Players will no longer start the game in a squad by themselves
* Clan matches will no longer end in a draw if one clan quits out (therefore forfeiting) before the remaining clan is able to score points in Guerrilla Warfare
* You will no longer hang after pressing the Start button right after accepting a clan invite on the region select screen

Network Issues:

* Network errors experienced during the open beta, such as 20002 and 8001, should no longer occur
* A 30 second time-out has been added to Multiplayer “joining” screen, should you experience an interruption in your connection
* Players that don’t have the Retro Pack, who tried joining a friend who was currently playing on a Retro Pack map, will no longer receive a network error code

General Bugs:

* You will no longer have the “Your Faction Has Won/Lost” image roll over into subsequent matches
* You will no longer receive multiple unlock points when the server is out of sync
* You will no longer accumulate additional unlock points after everything has been unlocked
* Fixed an issue that caused the menu to stop responding after switching rapidly between the career unlocks screen and the multiplayer main menu
* The Bullet Damage ribbon reward is now applied to all primary and secondary weapons that fire bullets
* Tactician: Fixed an issue that prevented players from re-activating Spot & Mark for 60 seconds after they were killed with it active

CAMPAIGN

Cutscenes:

* Stutter issues stemming from cutscenes that were loaded from the menu have been resolved
* Icy Incursion: Audio is now in sync during the cutscene played while streaming into Providence Station

Gameplay:

* Improved streaming performance for a smoother gameplay experience

GENERAL

Sharp shooter:

* Square button is mapped to Jump when using the Sharpshooter
* Adjusted the deadzone modifier when using the Sharpshooter

PlayStation Move:

* Fixed a possible crash that could occur after playing the campaign while using the motion controller

Technical:

* Killzone 3 is now integrated into the PSN store
* Enhanced security features included to deter cheating

Rikyfree

Some of that stuff was in the last patch, mainly the weapon stuff, but I'm glad they're balancing the Infiltrator. I also want to see the streaming thing. I hope they get it to load as fast as Uncharted 2 does. Hey a guy can dream.

nib95 said:
That is indeed true (in a British voice no less). And one other thing, what was that
ISA canister attached to that ship right in the beginning opening sequence? They kill the ISA soldier who transports it for them, and then someone flies away. Stahl and Radec see whoever or whatever it is off.

I think it's the
nuclear devices they use in Killzone 2. They were planning to use them to begin with, and probably killed the soldier and vaguely refer to it as 'the package' because they don't want people to know that, or how they got them. If that soldier Radec kills really is ISA, then they (Visari) probably had/has support from some ISA or Earth factions, hence the British voice.

EDIT: Servers are up again!

Top Bottom