• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Well I am one of the "few"? that like KZ3's control better than KZ2, however like many have already pointed out, KZ2's map were vastly superior, I guess they will all return eventually in overpriced DLC form.

Negaiido

BattleMonkey said:
This thread took a major turn quick from "LOVE IT" to "ZOMG SHIT", of course it seems to be the same people over and over again bitching, so that could be it.

That way you can just put those people on ignore and make it a good game again I guess.

Arklite

So I was watching a stream and they kept the three second respawns? Left out the KZ2 medic markers? Kept a long cool down for revives? I felt a bit useless as a medic in the demo. Is the final game better with medics?

patsu

Arklite said:
So I was watching a stream and they kept the three second respawns? Left out the KZ2 medic markers? Kept a long cool down for revives? I felt a bit useless as a medic in the demo. Situations like this make me wonder if the devs are playing their own game or not.

I played last night as a medic. It's not as bad in the real game. I do get to save a few teammates. T_T

Kuroyume

Banned
JB1981 said:
I joined KZ GAF last night, was put on the other team. The map was Mawlr graveyard I think. Is that the one with the big environmental hazard in the middle of the map that squishes you? Anyway, yea, that was the one. I joined mid-game and Lunlunq and I spent the next 30 minutes getting spawn camped by KZ GAF. I was literally stuck in the same room the entire game with no way of escaping. There are three avenues of escape, the front door out the main room .. that was covere .. there is then a subterranean escape route - that was being camped .. and then there was exit around back of this room but KZ GAF had sentry turrets, airbots and dudes with M82s picking us off. It was - BY FAR - the worst example of shit map design and awful spawn camping that I have EVER SEEN in a MP game. One could say it was because of the brilliant tactics of KZ GAF (which I'm sure played a part lol) but I prefer to think it's just an example of FAILED MAP DESIGN. Seriously, I cannot believe how awful some of these maps are. Pathetic.

The maps in KZ2 were amazing. What in the world happened here.

REMOVE THE SPAWN GRENADE!

lol

Almost want to rent this to see some of this...

X-Frame

commish said:
Honestly, to me, it's not the features they removed - it's mostly the maps that made KZ2 better - so far - than KZ3. If I can get a rotation going of just the handful of maps that I like, I think I'll be much better off. When snowdrift comes onto rotation, I want to stab the screen.

Again, there was a TON of bitching in the beginning of KZ2, if you guys remember, mostly about the controls. Then it got better. I am going to assume it'll be the same for this. Playing with clanmates will help a bunch. Teamwork!
Yeah, so far I think I've played most of the KZ3 maps and initially I am not as much a fan as KZ2, but I agree we'll see if things change as we keep playing. Some maps I feel like I am fighting in the stomach of a huge monster!

Also, for the record, when I say I like KZ2 better it is not just about the controls as most people tend to assume since I'm a fan of what they did. Still have that subtle feeling of weight yet they're accessible to everyone now.

In any case, as soon as I reach max rank and unlock everything I'm pretty sure I will be living in unranked rooms because I am sick of the default already. My preference is long, beyond epic games and I'm very shocked that there are no matchmaking filters now. I really hope that is on the to-do list too.

Arklite

patsu said:
I played last night as a medic. It's not as bad in the real game. I do get to save a few teammates. T_T

It's a shame. There were way too many times in the demo where I'd rush over to people and they would hit spawn just as I got to them. Likewise, it's difficult to wait simply because you don't think anyone is even bothering. There's little point in waiting with such a quick timer.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
X-Frame said:
Yeah, so far I think I've played most of the KZ3 maps and initially I am not as much a fan as KZ2, but I agree we'll see if things change as we keep playing. Some maps I feel like I am fighting in the stomach of a huge monster!

Also, for the record, when I say I like KZ2 better it is not just about the controls as most people tend to assume since I'm a fan of what they did. Still have that subtle feeling of weight yet they're accessible to everyone now.

In any case, as soon as I reach max rank and unlock everything I'm pretty sure I will be living in unranked rooms because I am sick of the default already. My preference is long, beyond epic games and I'm very shocked that there are no matchmaking filters now. I really hope that is on the to-do list too.

Yeah, I used to have some epic games in KZ2 that would last for a longggg time. I hope we can get those back.

RotBot

Arklite said:
It's a shame. There were way too many times in the demo where I'd rush over to people and they would hit spawn just as I got to them. Likewise, it's difficult to wait simply because you don't think anyone is even bothering. There's little point in waiting with such a quick timer.
I've had multiple people respawn while the revive sound and animation was playing.

I think I'm in the minority here but I was hating the game when I was playing with the move, but once I switched to the ds3 i started to really like it.

I can't get into the move controls at all. There is nothing wrong with them, but I guess I'm just used to the standard controller.

All in all i like it much more than Killzone 2.

Progmetal

-Pyromaniac- said:
I'm enjoying the single player immensely. Just straight up fun. Usually I beat games like this in 2 days max but I'm enjoying it too much to rush it.

Same here. So fun it's hard to put the controller down. :D

Ugh, I was playing fine last night, but today I keep getting disconnected. I can play for a while, but then I get "Session Master Not Available" and I get booted to to menu screen. Blah.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
JB1981 said:
I can't believe how ugly some of these maps are. The art direction is putrid. KZ2 had incredibly consistent and moody art direction in multiplayer. What is up with WASHING THE ENTIRE SCREEN IN ONE COLOR: Red, blue, green? Or throwing a blizzard of shit in the player's face on the snow maps? Where did the team behind KZ2 go? They certainly didn't stick around for this crap!

Working on Brink.

this guy from Mercs 2 designed most of the maps
http://nl.linkedin.com/in/dnanni

Aww, I feel special! Wrote an email to GG and got a reply from Aryeh Loeb.

Thanks for your feedback and interest in Killzone 3.

I see that your mail is from Feb 7. We are addressing the jump button of the Move/sharpshooter controls and have addressed a lot of the looping 'connecting' errors.

I'll make sure this gets read by people who need to know. Thanks for your feedback!

Thanks for your question have fun playing!

Regards,

Aryeh Loeb, Producer

*dies happily*

StuBurns

Banned
Talking about the jumping,
not being able to shoot while jumping really sucked any potential fun out of the zero G section near the end for me.

Zen

Banned
I can't believe how ugly some of these maps are. The art direction is putrid. KZ2 had incredibly consistent and moody art direction in multiplayer. What is up with WASHING THE ENTIRE SCREEN IN ONE COLOR: Red, blue, green? Or throwing a blizzard of shit in the player's face on the snow maps? Where did the team behind KZ2 go? They certainly didn't stick around for this crap!

I was always a big advocate of the coloring choices in Killzone 2 because of how insanely well designed and thought out it made reading the screen. The readability of Killzone 3 is just awful in places, especially during the
sequence where you and Rico are both in an EXO
. Things are made worse by how large some environments are, and how far away enemies can be when they're shooting you.

Gotta ask; is the 'twist' at the end of the demo, also hinted at in the teaser trailer, well realised in the game?
Do you get to play as a Helgan soilder?

domstah

Anyone having issues with Optical Out and KZ3?

I tried hooking up my Astro Amp last night, and while the OS sounds came through fine, however there was no audio when I played KZ3. Checked connections, rebooted - tried different modes ... no dice.

Sad Panda-ville: Pop. +1

StuBurns

Banned
Played Six Months On again, this time no HUD or crosshair, I prefer that for sure, but I wish you could still have the messages for picking up guns and stuff, it can be very hard to get them and know what you have without it.

DoomGyver

domstah said:

I tried hooking up my Astro Amp last night, and while the OS sounds came through fine, however there was no audio when I played KZ3. Checked connections, rebooted - tried different modes ... no dice.

I've been using my astro mixamp with KZ3 with no problems, make sure you only have 5.1 DD selected (not DTS).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
domstah said:

turn off all the sound options that your receiver doesn't support.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Loving the campaign other than
the strangely abrupt first person snow vehicle sequence. I thought I skipped a cutscene by accident from how randomly it began.
Also, Rico is horrible but that is old news.

Using the boltgun on the jetpack enemies is hilarious. Definitely a notch above KZ2's campaign with the location variety and the varying tactics you can use to get through a situation. Cannot conntect to PSN for whatever reason so it looks like I'll finish this today and save multiplayer for the weekend.

I have the UK collector edition on order from Game Station, the one with the map pack, Xp boost, 3 unlock points and all the other goodies. Does any one know if these are all seperate DLC codes or just one code for the whole lot?

StuBurns

Banned
smallios74 said:
I have the UK collector edition on order from Game Station, the one with the map pack, Xp boost, 3 unlock points and all the other goodies. Does any one know if these are all seperate DLC codes or just one code for the whole lot?
Not sure we have the same one, I had maps, a theme and a sound track, but it was a single code yeah.

Odd thing for me, my trophies don't update since I got the game, anyone else had an issue?

BeeDog said:
The soundtrack is awesome, much better than KZ2.

Holy crap! For real? I loved the soundtrack to KZ2. To be fair what I heard in the demo was pretty rousing. I really wish i didn't have to wait another day to get my grubby mitts on this game, urgh.

BeeDog

Appollowexx said:
Holy crap! For real? I loved the soundtrack to KZ2. To be fair what I heard in the demo was pretty rousing. I really wish i didn't have to wait another day to get my grubby mitts on this game, urgh.

Well, it's more bombastic/filmic, so might not be up your alley. But personally, the main theme of this game alone beats pretty much anything I can remember from KZ2.

BeeDog said:
Well, it's more bombastic/filmic, so might not be up your alley. But personally, the main theme of this game alone beats pretty much anything I can remember from KZ2.

Sounds good man, I got that from the beginning of the demo when you're riding the drop ship and the music sounded like something out of a summer blockbuster.

What I really enjoyed about the OST for KZ2 was that it struck a fantastic balance between classical contempory sound and more heavy industrial beats. It had subtle moments of downtime, moments of high tension and sound to accompany frantic firefights. It perfectly walked the line between two very different sounds.

Za23

RotBot said:
I've had multiple people respawn while the revive sound and animation was playing.

I play medic most of the time and this seems to happen a lot. It gets very annoying, making me not want to revive people.

They need to have icons on the map to let people know medics are nearby.

qwerty2k

probably being fucking dense but can anyone help me with the story please? (early on).

just done all the sniping stuff on top of the building but now the ground marker keeps pointing me to this bit on the ground which is where it pointed me to stand to snipe everything...but ive killed everyone and everything and it said something about placing the chargers but this damn waypoint just keeps pointing to the same spot on the ground, what do i do next?

some tanks/guns are firing up at the canon but that has been going on for ages with nothing else happening?

StuBurns

Banned
qwerty2k said:
probably being fucking dense but can anyone help me with the story please? (early on).

just done all the sniping stuff on top of the building but now the ground marker keeps pointing me to this bit on the ground which is where it pointed me to stand to snipe everything...but ive killed everyone and everything and it said something about placing the chargers but this damn waypoint just keeps pointing to the same spot on the ground, what do i do next?
If you're talking about the bit I think you are, you don't place charges it's just the people talking to each other, you run back to where you grab the sniper rifle and there should be an explosion that then fade for a cutscene.

EDIT: Sorted I see, cool.

qwerty2k said:

some tanks/guns are firing up at the canon but that has been going on for ages with nothing else happening?

If you already sniped all of the guys in the windows and such then the rest should be up to the ground troops - as in, you do not place a charge on the arc cannon, they do. If that isn't happening then there must be a bug

A.R.K

JB1981 said:

Tell me about it. Forget about the bad design of these maps. Some of them are just harsh and ugly to look at. Some of the colors are forced-in to make the game more colorful after all the complaining by the idiots media sites and whiners over "lack of" colors in KZ2. Honestly GG listens to the wrong guys most of the time and listens too much instead of following their instincts.

BeeDog

lawblob said:
Question, does this open with a long cinematic, or does it dump you right into the action?

The game has a classic rendered intro (which you can skip). It's short though. In-game, the game starts off in a non-Killzone way... but if you haven't spoiled yourself, you don't need to know more. :) Cool start!

Facism

there is no GAF NA clan. It's just the one clan for all regions atm. Check the community forum. We're not called GAF, we're called FTSG (Fix This Shit Guerilla).

Top Bottom