• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

SP and MP are pretty impressive. What's also great is that I bought the game today for cheap money (49€ instead of 60€) in a German store and it seems that this game is completely uncut here. Despite the more than graphic melee attacks for example. :p

denomes

The changes to the Medic's revive are baffling. It worked fine in KZ2. I can't understand how anyone could think the new design is better.

StuBurns

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Yeah but I'm talking about the shitstorm of action leading up to it. Blew my mind.
Ummm
you mean the stuff on the ship before the space shooting bit?
If so, yeah, I really enjoyed that stuff outside of the
zero G
bit.

I loved the final level of KZ2 though, and I know a lot of GAF hated it.

StuBurns

Banned
brandonh83 said:
I liked the
space shooting bit
it was awesome =(
Maybe it's just because I sucked at it, I cruised thru most of the game, and I died more on one section of that bit than the whole game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This is a very uneven game. The move to using pre-rendered movies has had a big impact on the game, I feel, in that the sequences now all feel very disconnected. There's a point where you go from fighting in an open area to speeding down a mountain and the cutscene connecting these two does a TERRIBLE job and makes it feel as if the two sequences are totally disconnected.

Other than that, though, the missions have all been very good thus far. The entire snow mission (all of it) was really something incredible.

Halcyon

denomes said:
The changes to the Medic's revive are baffling. It worked fine in KZ2. I can't understand how anyone could think the new design is better.
I think if they just make the range about three more meters longer it'll be fine. I like that you can just tap the left button to rev though. Im having alot more fun with medic in kz3 so far. You get the silenced guns and zombie as well as a revive that's actually useful.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This last part of the game is fucking retarded. Retarded.

Entire game has been pretty easy and then this last section... how many fucking time do I have to play this shit over?
There's no feedback where your weapons are hitting... shit is shooting from everywhere and the ship you're in can't take any damage.

Retarded.

Edit: WHAT THE FUCK at the ending... omg.

Have put 10 hours into Multiplayer. Level 25 now.

+ Shooting is better than KZ2. Very little lag (can get framey though)
+ Loving the maps. Favorites are: Turbine, Boulevard and Snowdrift.
+ Level up system is fantastic. Some tough decisions to make.
+ Mechs, Jetpacks, Mortars are great additions.
- Personal pet peeve but getting killed by melee annoys the fuck out of me.
- Why the fuck can't I upgrade between matches. Also the flickering is terrible.
- Way too many Infiltrator classes. Too few Tacticians (vital to capping Tact Spawns).
- I see uneven matches (usually combined with uneven teams) FAR too often

recklessmind said:

Entire game has been pretty easy and then this last section... how many fucking time do I have to play this shit over?
There's no feedback where your weapons are hitting... shit is shooting from everywhere and the ship you're in can't take any damage.

Retarded.

So like the end of the 2nd game then.

Maybe it's a staple of the Killzone franchise to stick a really infuriating final battle at the very end of the game...

Hazelhurst

canadian crowe said:
I think I'm in the minority here but I was hating the game when I was playing with the move, but once I switched to the ds3 i started to really like it.
I'm spoiled with the Move controls. I think they're superior. I will never go back to the DS3 for KZ3.

Nightz

HalcyonTB12 said:
I think if they just make the range about three more meters longer it'll be fine. I like that you can just tap the left button to rev though. Im having alot more fun with medic in kz3 so far. You get the silenced guns and zombie as well as a revive that's actually useful.
This. I've been playing medic all day and this is the one thing that annoys me.

StuBurns

Banned
Appollowexx said:

Maybe it's a staple of the Killzone franchise to stick a really infuriating final battle at the very end of the game...
Unlike the end of KZ2 though,
it's not something you've been doing for six hours just more difficult.

Deadstar

Here is my list of improvements for the next patch.

1. Increase medic revive distance to be the same as in Killzone 2.
2. Add squad only voice chat.
3. Add the ability to spawn on your squad leader.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Appollowexx said:

I personally enjoyed the end of KZ2... everything about it pretty much.

This I did not like... it was
on rails
and stupid. And then it just abruptly
ends. Like not even a second or two of music or anything... just *BAM* over.

edit: otherwise, though, this game was fucking awesome!!!

Deadstar said:

Disagree completely with this. Tact spawns are good enough.

Halcyon

Nightz said:
This. I've been playing medic all day and this is the one thing that annoys me.
I also get caught alot looking down while im reving cause I aim down out of habit from kz2 then take my thumb off the nav stick to hit the button. Im pretty sure you can just look wherever when reving in this unless im mistaken.

ZeroRay

It seems like KZ3 has some of the same issues Resistance 2 did, only turned out better.

A half year or more of extra time would of helped tremendously.

I'm really glad you guys are enjoying it.

I heard some neagtive stuff about the single player from various review outlets and it kind of bummed me out. But after enjoying the demo and loving the previous game and then reading, on here, that aside from one or two annoying segments the game is pretty awesome, it seems as though I can put my fears to rest.

Need tomorrow to come right NOW!

Soma

recklessmind said:

Retarded.

Edit: WHAT THE FUCK at the ending... omg.
Probably the only part. ONLY part of the whole campaign which I literally did not enjoy. I loved the every single mission including the first part of this mission but man. That was just frustrating.

I don't even want to do a Veteran/Elite run solely for that.

And the ending...yeah. The game would've benefited tremendously with a couple more months of polish especially with the cutscenes. It feels like they were recorded at a later date and not much communication between them on where to transition them in between actual gameplay. I hope Guerrilla Games spends some extra time on the next one. They have some amazing vision and ideas just some of their design choices are a bit questionable, unfortunately.

Other than that, it's a really solid campaign.

Oh well, time for MP!

PSN ID is Neo_Soma if anyone wants a random friend online.

JB1981 said:
I can't believe how ugly some of these maps are. The art direction is putrid. KZ2 had incredibly consistent and moody art direction in multiplayer. What is up with WASHING THE ENTIRE SCREEN IN ONE COLOR: Red, blue, green? Or throwing a blizzard of shit in the player's face on the snow maps? Where did the team behind KZ2 go? They certainly didn't stick around for this crap!

Yeah, that one map with the green/yellow wash to it completely disoriented me at first with the color tint…felt like I couldn't really see anything! Eventually my eyes were able to adjust though. One thing that's buggin me are these sorta 25 degree angle views in some room where you feel like you're standing sideways or tilted.

ZeroRay

I think tact spawns work in theory if both teams were competent.

A good clan or party going against some randoms is almost always a slaughter.

Deadstar said:

you listening GG?

Mikey Jr.

Fuck I loved the campaign. It was just so much god damned fun.

Plus, I honestly felt like I was playing a Playstation 4 game at some times. The graphics were breathtaking.

The ending was.....yeah. It maybe wasn't the content of the ending, but the way it was presented? Like, the credits came out of fucking nowhere. It was well done in KZ2, but in this one it was kinda fucked. Kinda felt like they made a bigger game, but just chopped it in half in a random point in the middle.

Time for some MP. Btw, how does the mp code work? I have 24 hours of all unlocks. Is that 24 hours game time, or 24 hours of real time when you put in the code?

A.R.K

alr1ghtstart said:
tell that to the teams that get base raped the whole match against us.

Not just that but having to fucking run all the way back to the objective on a huge map and just when you are about there, bam you died again. WTF man!

We really need spawn on leader back.

Loving the game, and I am in particular loving the fact that I have new ways to play. I don't play right through in one sitting, I play maybe a level or two the regular and a level or two with the move and 3d. It's a refreshing change of pace for me as I'm not a big FPS guy.

I can say having mulitple ways too play one game is a great experience and I look forward to Socom 4 as well. I may pick up a sharp shooter but I'm determining if I'm a big enough Nerd..LMAO.

JB1981 said:
I can't believe how ugly some of these maps are. The art direction is putrid. KZ2 had incredibly consistent and moody art direction in multiplayer. What is up with WASHING THE ENTIRE SCREEN IN ONE COLOR: Red, blue, green? Or throwing a blizzard of shit in the player's face on the snow maps? Where did the team behind KZ2 go? They certainly didn't stick around for this crap!

This game is so ugly it literally hurts my eyes. The blizzard map in the demo is the worst since it's always throwing snow at your face.

lunlunqq

WTF, GG??!!!?!?!?

Now I deeply regret that I downloaded the free retro map pack. my games rotations contains nothing but these two maps now... i've played them 10000000000 times in KZ2, I want to play the new maps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF

plus, the new Salamun Market is just unplayable. runs constantly below 20 fps.... :(

lunlunqq said:
WTF, GG??!!!?!?!?

Now I deeply regret that I downloaded the free retro map pack. my games rotations contains nothing but these two maps now... i've played them 10000000000 times in KZ2, I want to play the new maps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF

plus, the new Salamun Market is just unplayable. runs constantly below 20 fps.... :(
Change the map preference?

Bergsy

DS3 is good, Move is better, Sharpshooter, with practice is immense, after getting past some arm ache i dont think i could go back to playing with a dualshock.

Havent touched SP yet, MP is far too much fun.

DoomGyver

Anyone else getting lock-ups in the menu when they disconnect from multiplayer by pressing circle? This has happened twice now.

Full Recovery said:
Anyone else getting lock-ups in the menu when they disconnect from multiplayer by pressing circle? This has happened twice now.

I just left the game for like 3 minutes at the respawn screen just to go do something and it hard locked.

That's 4 times in 4 sessions already.

Arnie

Tomorrow I get a £550 bursary and apart from a podcast I'm obliged to record at 11ish, I have a free day. Going to head into town and pick this bad boy up.

Top Bottom