• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

i hope all multi FPS games take note on how melee works in this game because it is perfect. Takes a couple seconds and you are vulnerable during the process. Love it! It also isn't even guaranteed which I found out today... somebody grabbed be to kill be from behind and during the animation my teammate killed the guy mid melee and it released me unharmed.

alterno69

Banned
KingOfKong said:
i hope all multi FPS games take note on how melee works in this game because it is perfect. Takes a couple seconds and you are vulnerable during the process. Love it! It also isn't even guaranteed which I found out today... somebody grabbed be to kill be from behind and during the animation my teammate killed the guy mid melee and it released me unharmed.
I've been saved like this too, unexpected and so awesome lol.

blazinglazers said:
This game reminds me of Halo 2. A sequel that bit off more than it could chew and ran out of time. A game that ended up being downsized in the rush to get it out the door; a re-cut and cobbled together impression of the game it should have been.

KZ3 needed 6 more months of work, minimum. The opening cinematic ends with some random off-screen line like it was cut out of a larger movie, then *boom* title screen. Wat? Levels end with me facing a wall or empty street and just lowering my gun, fade to black. Cutscenes are miserably directed, and barely transition with the gameplay. "6 months later" really? Then there's the streamlining.

I liked KZ2's campaign, I thought the cover mechanic was wonderful and the encounters were generally great. At moments it really felt like a large scale battle, with some good sandbox combat. It was a game that showed tremendous promise. Unfortunately with KZ3 Guerrilla ditched almost everything that made number 2 fun in favor of COD style set-piece gameplay. Walk forward through a tiny trench for 20 yards, fade to black. On rails shooting, fade to black. Nothing difficult, nothing connected, take cover and pop heads when the geometry lets you and you'll breeze through it on Veteran. The enemies are bullet sponges, and there's a significant delay before they transition into their death animations, so unless you headshot them you'll never know which bullet sealed the deal, killing a key part of the shooter-fun-feedback loop.

The incredible art direction & lighting of KZ2 is gone, replaced by garishly bright & busy textures. The image quality is better, but you're getting a clearer look at something with way worse art direction. KZ2 painted beautiful scenes with light and shadow, your eye was carefully directed and the incredible dynamic lighting really added atmosphere when you'd catch a trooper's shadow before seeing him, or you'd strobe his silhouette across a dimly lit interior as you gunned him down. In KZ3 we get bright technicolor linear jungles complete with
invisible grass paths and backtracking, lol.

I don't know, I'm just astonished at how much identity this series has lost. KZ3 feels like a game made by a different team. It's sci-fi Call Of Duty. I'm still enjoying it, but I'm also really disappointed.

On the flip-side, the multiplayer seems much more awesome than KZ2 and I hope to put some serious time into it.
This is exactly how I feel, only much better said. I loved Killzone 2 and think all they needed to do was rework the controls (for the mass market I mean - I was fine with them) and try as hard as they could to keep the battlefields large and varied.

KZ3 is COD + More on-rails segments than you can shake a stick at, although I'd say I honestly enjoyed a few of them
the oil rig flyover, huge mech flyovers and the early tank run were pulled off pretty well
. But I think its impossible for someone to complete the game without thinking it could've used more time in the oven. The comparisons to Resistance 2 are apt and unfortunate.

StuBurns

Banned
Earlier I heard someone behind me and I accidentally hit R3 when no icon was up, and I magically flipped around to face the other way instantly and was silting the throat of one of those guys who runs at you with the knives like a terminator. Was awesome.

Finished the campaign on Veteran. Overall it was much much easier than KZ2. I didn't really feel that there was much engagement in any of the fire fights and pretty much all of the on rail sections were boring and far to limiting. In those sections I had a hard time telling what was going on because the FOV was so small, but then realized that all that was really required was that I just hold down the trigger and move forward.

The actual game play sections were pretty underwhelming though the set peices were top notch for the most part. I preferred the gun play of KZ2 but can appreciate the change, however I do not support the 3 weapon system where you constantly have an infinite ammo pistol, an AR and a power weapon. This system would probably have worked better if there weren't ammo crates every 100 ft. There was almost no reason to use anything but the power weapons in any section.

It is obvious that most of this game was designed around Move, and while I can appreciate that effort it did make the game pretty flat in a lot of parts.

The Story is a lot better than KZ2 in the beginning, but I felt it fell apart completely about half way throught and became complete garbage in the end section which disrupted the entire experience. I really do wish that KZ2 had explored the political side of the story though.

Initially when getting into KZ3 MP I thought that KZ2 MP was an aberration, a mistep in GGs attempt to realize their vision and that KZ3 was the more lucid expression. However, given how drastically they changed the aesthetic and playstyle of the KZ3 campaign I can only conclude that GG has no idea or overarching vision for this franchise. Some of the cutscenes late in the game remind me of the KZ2 reveal trailer, but the actual gameplay components were, in general, devoid of that spirit.

As far as cinematic experiences go in video games, this one tops most modern FPS games. However, it is a very poor movie and it lacks the gameplay to really support its cinematic delusions.

I will play it again a few time as the Move implementation is great.

I haven't really played much of the MP. I jumped in to about 3 games and each one was Salamun. GG have completely destroyed that map. There is nothing there that affords any of the tension and finess found in its KZ2 rendition. A complete disappointment. I haven't tried any of the other maps (outside of the Alpha and Beta maps) and probably won't put too much time or effort into the MP.

I think this game is worth the experience, but not necessarily the purchase. If you like the MP then it is worth picking up, but otherwise just rent. If you don't get it for free, I don't think the retro map is worth the money. Only Salamun gets a Warzone variant and that is an unbalanced mess.

For all you Move users, not sure if you have tried this but I disabled rumble and it greatly has increased my accuracy and the crosshair shake. I miss rumble but the difference in accuracy is too large to go back.

KingOfKong said:
For all you Move users, not sure if you have tried this but I disabled rumble and it greatly has increased my accuracy and the crosshair shake. I miss rumble but the difference in accuracy is too large to go back.
I haven't really been having any problems with the crosshair shake but I may do this just because of the annoying sound it makes in the Sharpshooter. Almost as if it isn't locked in place (but it is).

KingOfKong said:

Uhhh, no. I'm cool with assassination animations from behind, but to be caught in an animation by luck of the draw when two guys round a corner into each other and press melee at the same time is a bunch of crap. No, it's not me raging either, cause I've actually done it to people way more than it's happened to me.

Melee from the front should be 2 hits.

JB1981

the_prime_mover said:
Finished the campaign on Veteran. Overall it was much much easier than KZ2. I didn't really feel that there was much engagement in any of the fire fights and pretty much all of the on rail sections were boring and far to limiting. In those sections I had a hard time telling what was going on because the FOV was so small, but then realized that all that was really required was that I just hold down the trigger and move forward.

The actual game play sections were pretty underwhelming though the set peices were top notch for the most part. I preferred the gun play of KZ2 but can appreciate the change, however I do not support the 3 weapon system where you constantly have an infinite ammo pistol, an AR and a power weapon. This system would probably have worked better if there weren't ammo crates every 100 ft. There was almost no reason to use anything but the power weapons in any section.

It is obvious that most of this game was designed around Move, and while I can appreciate that effort it did make the game pretty flat in a lot of parts.

The Story is a lot better than KZ2 in the beginning, but I felt it fell apart completely about half way throught and became complete garbage in the end section which disrupted the entire experience. I really do wish that KZ2 had explored the political side of the story though.

Initially when getting into KZ3 MP I thought that KZ2 MP was an aberration, a mistep in GGs attempt to realize their vision and that KZ3 was the more lucid expression. However, given how drastically they changed the aesthetic and playstyle of the KZ3 campaign I can only conclude that GG has no idea or overarching vision for this franchise. Some of the cutscenes late in the game remind me of the KZ2 reveal trailer, but the actual gameplay components were, in general, devoid of that spirit.

As far as cinematic experiences go in video games, this one tops most modern FPS games. However, it is a very poor movie and it lacks the gameplay to really support its cinematic delusions.

I will play it again a few time as the Move implementation is great.

I haven't really played much of the MP. I jumped in to about 3 games and each one was Salamun. GG have completely destroyed that map. There is nothing there that affords any of the tension and finess found in its KZ2 rendition. A complete disappointment. I haven't tried any of the other maps (outside of the Alpha and Beta maps) and probably won't put too much time or effort into the MP.

I think this game is worth the experience, but not necessarily the purchase. If you like the MP then it is worth picking up, but otherwise just rent. If you don't get it for free, I don't think the retro map is worth the money. Only Salamun gets a Warzone variant and that is an unbalanced mess.
It's like they literally tried to trash the map, like the level designer fucked around with the level editor one night while getting fucking bombed and trashed the map to hell

KingOfKong said:

Killing someone from behind when he's in the middle of a stealth kill is so awesome.

Net_Wrecker said:
Uhhh, no. I'm cool with assassination animations from behind, but to be caught in an animation by luck of the draw when two guys round a corner into each other and press melee at the same time is a bunch of crap. No, it's not me raging either, cause I've actually done it to people way more than it's happened to me.

Melee from the front should be 2 hits.
Melee from the front should be a hit stun with little damage, allowing the player who melees first a slight advantage in firing his gun.

Melee from the back/side is an assassination animation that can be interrupted.

Oppo

Finished the SP campaign last night with the Move, on Trooper 'cause I'm still learning, but apart from the bugged jetpack sequence (where I switched back to DS) I really liked it.

Not sure what to think of the ending. For so many cutscenes over KZ2, I have to agree thatall of the video as a whole have used a little more love. It almost reminded me of Heavenly Sword in that respect; you put all this money into these lavish scenes and they get plagued by occasional lip sync glitches, bad edits and one or two outright mistakes in the sound mixing. A shame. (The Bink codec was not an issue for me however. They obviously just cranked the bitrate to 11. I think they must use that 'cause it's easy on the processor for bg loading or something.)

On-rails sequences: I'm probably in the minority but I really like those levels. They feel like a nice break from the usual, plus they give the devs a chance to stage these spectacular set pieces.

Killzone 4 to ship with adjustable colour temperature/post-processing controls to appease the unappeasable, calling it right now.

fernoca

Zoibie said:
The retro map pack for MP was up pretty much day one.
FunkyPajamas said:
lol I suck. I thought it was new. Thanks!
Don't worry, he sucks. :p
The info says 'Map Pack 2', and then asked if the ones reading already downloaded the retro pack; which is/was #1. :p

All that, and a first look at DLC pack 2 of Killzone 3 (you did pick up the Retro Map Pack on Tuesday, right?) Here’s a quick peek at the show, and feel free to ignore everything in between SOCOM 4 and Killzone 3.

X-Frame

No way, a 2nd DLC Map Pack already?

Can't wait to buy that and then repeat the same DLC map over and over and over again ..

JB1981

X-Frame said:
No way, a 2nd DLC Map Pack already?

Can't wait to buy that and then repeat the same DLC map over and over and over again ..
Better sell it fast, game will b a wasteland in a month

PortTwo said:
Finished the SP campaign last night with the Move, on Trooper 'cause I'm still learning, but apart from the bugged jetpack sequence (where I switched back to DS) I really liked it.

Not sure what to think of the ending. For so many cutscenes over KZ2, I have to agree thatall of the video as a whole have used a little more love. It almost reminded me of Heavenly Sword in that respect; you put all this money into these lavish scenes and they get plagued by occasional lip sync glitches, bad edits and one or two outright mistakes in the sound mixing. A shame. (The Bink codec was not an issue for me however. They obviously just cranked the bitrate to 11. I think they must use that 'cause it's easy on the processor for bg loading or something.)

On-rails sequences: I'm probably in the minority but I really like those levels. They feel like a nice break from the usual, plus they give the devs a chance to stage these spectacular set pieces.

Killzone 4 to ship with adjustable colour temperature/post-processing controls to appease the unappeasable, calling it right now.

Create an amazing looking game people will bitch, create an amazing looking sequel that pushes the engine further, there will be people that will bitch. You're never going to please everyone...GG should just not give a damn and do what they want visually since graphics aren't a weak point at all.

I was playing warfare yesterday when a sniper standing at the corner of a building took a shot at me. He missed and backed around the corner. I charged right around the side and hit the melee button. Little did I know his teammate was standing right next to him. I killed both with one rifle butt. I bet both of those guys were swearing profusely. lol

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Still pleasantly surprised that people are actually playing objectives in Operations and Warzone. Didn't have much hope for that from the beta. Geurilla Warfare is a campfest but I never got into KZ multiplayer for TDM so I'm not too worried about that.

My only two persistent gripes are the mechs making Salamun Market a bit less interesting (everyone on foot avoids the center of the map unless they are on that catwalk between buildings) and the tactical spawn areas are still kind of a clusterfuck. I don't understand the point of enemy players being able to spawn in while one of them is contested.

Are they ever going to add back the ability to change up class attributes with one another? Loved that aspect of KZ2, but they seem to have gone with the more strict class settings here.

The game is a ton of fun, but there are still some changes made from KZ2 that almost seem like they are different simply for the sake of being different.

Zoibie

I'm a bit disappointed GG didn't go back and add some of the back-story into this game. The back-story on the KZ site is really interesting, --it gives you a different view of both parties in the war-- and yet, the moral ambiguity of the reasons for the war is never touched upon during the game. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the breadth of sci-fi story telling in Mass Effect but I was really expecting more.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
JB1981 said:
It's like they literally tried to trash the map, like the level designer fucked around with the level editor one night while getting fucking bombed and trashed the map to hell

I hate to say but I agree. The same could be said of Turbine. So gorgeous in the closed beta, now it's just ugly.

Zoibie said:
I'm a bit disappointed GG didn't go back and add some of the back-story into this game. The back-story on the KZ site is really interesting, --it gives you a different view of both parties in the war-- and yet, the moral ambiguity of the reasons for the war is never touched upon during the game. Maybe I've just been spoiled by the breadth of sci-fi story telling in Mass Effect but I was really expecting more.

This is what makes the ending all the more frustrating.
The very last action the player makes is pressing the button to fire the nuke. You just expect the ship to blow up. You don't think your gonna end up killing a billion people. And then it's over. I actually got angry. I almost wish Guerrilla would have given me a choice. Because now everything is even more screwed up then before. Or maybe that's the point. Visari's last words were "the madness begins". Guerrilla really needs to address the moral backbone of the conflict.

And another thing that bothered me about the story is that
They NEVER go in detail about Stahl and Orlock's motivations. Were they genuinely loyal to Visari? Were they in it for power? Also, where the fuck is Natko? Why was he just randomly cut from the game? Why are the cutscene transitions so unsmooth? What are these "Senators" What's their purpose? They supposedly "voted" to make Orlock Autarch. Does that mean that Visari could be overruled or put out of power? So many unanswered questions!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So who was that person
that showed up at the very end
?

Rikyfree

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
This is what makes the ending all the more frustrating.
The very last action the player makes is pressing the button to fire the nuke. You just expect the ship to blow up. You don't think your gonna end up killing a billion people. And then it's over. I actually got angry. I almost wish Guerrilla would have given me a choice. Because now everything is even more screwed up then before. Or maybe that's the point. Visari's last words were "the madness begins". Guerrilla really needs to address the moral backbone of the conflict.
I agree.
O to nuke, R2 to release a volley of missiles. Two different endings, the missile one being canon for the next Killzone. This would be a great thing.

TacticalFox88 said:
And another thing that bothered me about the story is that
They NEVER go in detail about Stahl and Orlock's motivations. Were they genuinely loyal to Visari? Were they in it for power? Also, where the fuck is Natko? Why was he just randomly cut from the game? Why are the cutscene transitions so unsmooth? What are these "Senators" What's their purpose? They supposedly "voted" to make Orlock Autarch. Does that mean that Visari could be overruled or put out of power? So many unanswered questions!

Why do Helghast assault rifles have red dot sights all of a sudden? All valid questions. Answer this shit Guerrilla

jackdoe

I just watched the ending on youtube cause I don't really have the time to play Killzone 3.
Seriously, you end up committing a war crime? That is a downer of an ending.

*sigh*

Every round of Warzone today "Error: 8013." I think that everything is working fine, cause I start up the games and play for a while. Then it just keeps going to "Session Master Not Available" along with a freeze which then makes me leave the game and gives me the 8013 error. GG best fix this.

lunlunqq

Just have to express my frustration with the Retro Map Pack again. Why hell would having this map pack disable the normal map rotation??? Now I am stuck with just one map... Is this some kind of punishment for getting the map pack for free???

cakefoo

Why is it that 99% of the things you can take cover behind only serve to immobilize you so you're easier to kill? Meanwhile the Helghast can hide 99% of their body behind things that are much shorter.

Sevket-Erhat said:
Has stuttering (repeating) voices occurred to any one in the scene with first
Exo
. I am in huge dissapoinment
has happened 3 or 4 times since i started campaign. i just beat the jungle. At least my GF gets a laugh out of it

Top Bottom