• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

cakefoo said:
Why is it that 99% of the things you can take cover behind only serve to immobilize you so you're easier to kill? Meanwhile the Helghast can hide 99% of their body behind things that are much shorter.
I never really had this problem once I switched back to hold-to-cover rather than toggle. Although I did get annoyed to see just about everybody but me going prone. Not that I would've really gotten much use out of it, but still...

To give some positive feedback, the campaign does tend to work better the second time around. You know the lay of the land, you're ready for the on-rails stuff, and you can focus on trying to tackle things in new ways. The gunplay is solid and you can really decide how aggressive you want to tackle an objective, provided there is some cover available. Oversized hitboxes on world geometry somehow becomes even more problematic though.

And you can just skip on past the cut-scenes. The only parts I'm not looking forward to are some of the later on-rails bits, with the
snowshredder
and
space fighter
stuff being the worst.

This time I'm going through on Veteran, and haven't noticed much of a difficulty difference except for that one heinous part where you have to
escape the oil rig, jumping from platform to platform right into enemy fire. Its been luck of the draw whether I die in the blink of an eye or not. Horrible, fucking atrocious, one of the worst things ever, and I'd like to punch the level designer that thought that would be "fun" or "tense".

beast786

Full Recovery said:
I just got 22925 XP in a single warzone match using the double xp bonus, against you gaffers :p.

2rrxd1z.gif

ultron87

Congratulations Killzone, you managed to not only make being in a robot suit in the campaign not fun, you made it actively unpleasant.

Mikey Jr.

WOW, installing the retro pack thing was a fucking MISTAKE.

I can only play Blood Gracht in Guerilla warfare. It literally plays that map only. The vote screen is completely gone now. Is it supposed to be gone?

So I went into map preference because I thought the map pack was its own playlist or something and selected frozen damn or whatever. Yeah, it only plays that map you selected. Vote screen is gone too.

The FUCK is this? A bug? Or what?

Can I delete the map pack? That possible?

ultron87 said:
Congratulations Killzone, you managed to not only make being in a robot suit in the campaign not fun, you made it actively unpleasant.
You get a headache too? Shaking view + extremely long range enemies in hidden positions + overwhelming detail kinda put the fry to my neurons. I did like the level though, besides the hurting my brain bit.

recklessmind said:
So who was that person
that showed up at the very end
?
Evidence points to Visari:
-The main thing is the eyes in the opening cinematic. There is a close up of Visari's green eyes but in the palace, where the medics are working on the corpse, there is a close up of the red brown/red eyes of the body.

-Also Visari's daughter pulls away from the person in the opening cinematic.

-The ominous "The ISA are here, it's time to go." line in the opening cinematic as well.

- The biggest thing though is it explains in KZ2 why Radec and the final palace guards killed themselves. It makes sense if there was a double involved and Radec and the guards knew, they would kill themselves to prevent that info from getting out.

cakefoo said:
Why is it that 99% of the things you can take cover behind only serve to immobilize you so you're easier to kill? Meanwhile the Helghast can hide 99% of their body behind things that are much shorter.

This, so bad. It really felt like most of the time I was in cover I may as well have just gone out into the open to die immediately. Sometimes it was even more effective to just crouch near something instead of going up to it and going into cover.

Dubbedinenglish said:
-The main thing is the eyes in the opening cinematic. There is a close up of Visari's green eyes but in the palace, where the medics are working on the corpse, there is a close up of the red brown/red eyes of the body.

-The ominous "The ISA are here, it's time to go." line in the opening cinematic as well.

- The biggest thing though is it explains in KZ2 why Radec and the final palace guards killed themselves. It makes sense if there was a double involved and Radec and the guards knew, they would kill themselves to prevent that info from getting out.
You shitting me? I'll give GG some kudos if that's how this ends up.

Dubbedinenglish said:

Oh shit, that would be insane.

Man I played some Operations today and for the first time ever, I fucking LOVE multiplayer in Killzone. I can finally aim and kill shit. I also am getting much better kd ratios but doing so while sticking to the objective. Insanely fun.

dwin45

The lag is some of the worst I've ever seen in a PS3 game right now. Also, I'm hoping they nerf snipers. The radar jam seems to have a huge radius and the fact that they can move while cloaked is total bullshit.

So, I think I've finally come to the conclusion that, unless it's akin to a game like Bioshock's presentation/polish/immersiveness, I don't think I'll bother with another FPS's campaign; especially if it's one with quite the generic premise, as is present here.

I played an hour of the campaign and I now actively want to stay clear of it for the time being.

Also! I'm calling it - and let me preface this with the disclaimer that I've only seen the first 2 environments of the campaign - Killzone 2 is a marginally better looking game. There is such a thing as a game looking TOO crisp sometimes. The lack of motion blur and an overall grainy/muted aesthetic really hurts the visual.

THAT BEING SAID, I'm very open to eating my words if I am to eventually progress through the campaign and be impressed, so please don't destroy me.

McLovin

Just did my second playthrough, this time on Elite. I finally got to notice some of the improvements they did on the visuals. Way better textures, character models are super sharp and have a lot more detail, overall the game looks much better. Its also way easier then 2. I never bothered to beat it on elite because it was too hard, but this one I beat in a single sitting. This time it took me 6-7 hours. Even though its not that long, it doesn't feel like it. I give it a 9/10 very solid game. MP feels better this time around, and that new mode with the cut-scenes is really fun too :D
Dubbedinenglish said:

:O

mickcenary said:
So, I think I've finally come to the conclusion that, unless it's akin to a game like Bioshock's presentation/polish/immersiveness, I don't think I'll bother with another FPS's campaign; especially if it's one with quite the generic premise, as is present here.
Right there with you, and if it keeps going this route I don't see the allure in shooters, no matter how much production value they throw at them.

In the past few years I've played Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, Bad Company 2 and Killzone 3 and for the life of me they all seem like the same damn campaign with different coats of paint. Its gotten to the point where its all done by the numbers, with each type of level or mission dutifully ticked off the "modern mainstream shooter" checklist, so that even the biggest explosions and set pieces end up feeling as sterile as watching daytime TV.

There were areas where Killzone showed its own identity amidst the crowd, but you have to squint to see it sometimes in the latest game.

patsu

mickcenary said:

I played an hour of the campaign and I now actively want to stay clear of it for the time being.

Also! I'm calling it - and let me preface this with the disclaimer that I've only seen the first 2 environments of the campaign - Killzone 2 is a marginally better looking game. There is such a thing as a game looking TOO crisp sometimes. The lack of motion blur and an overall grainy/muted aesthetic really hurts the visual.

THAT BEING SAID, I'm very open to eating my words if I am to eventually progress through the campaign and be impressed, so please don't destroy me.

Play some more ! and try the MP.

I liked Bioshock but the characters there are too ugly. I killed one of the bad guys. At first I wasn't sure if it's a mannequin or a muppet. Was trying to decide what's the best weapon to use next. :) Stared at the dead body for about 5-10 seconds before I took it on faith that it's a deranged human.

EDIT: Now that I remember it. Bioshock was also too long winded and repetitive for last 1/3 of the game.

ultron87 said:

The best part about that level (beyond waiting for damage cooldown every 3 milliseconds before peeking out and attempting to get another shot off) was having to redo the entire thing because the game forgot that I beat it.

Im not getting all the hate for the game, im about five hours into the sp and played around 3 hours or so of mp and loving it all. Yes there is some issues the flickering menu is annoying but the rest are player issues and people loving to be cheap mofos just like in every other fps out there. I cant believe people are calling out too much colour in the game thats a big WTF after the years of greyzone 2 jibes.

Dubbedinenglish said:

I called it first. Just saying. Hell I called it before KZ3 RELEASED

2real4tv

I agree with I think they rushed or they over stretched themselves trying to include MOVE and 3D. The game is still great but there are alot of QA issues that should have been cleaned up for a AAA game. Compared to a normal game the quality is definitely above average. It seems like the split screen co-op was handle by their interns... [spoilers]does Natko even talk? [/spoilers]

Dubbedinenglish said:

mindblowing if that's the case. Anyway just beat the game. Fun as hell, won't speak much on the ending because everything was said. Really want Killzone 4 now.

conman

bluedeviltron said:
The best part about that level (beyond waiting for damage cooldown every 3 milliseconds before peeking out and attempting to get another shot off) was having to redo the entire thing because the game forgot that I beat it.
The checkpoints are a perpetual frustration in this game. I couldn't believe how far back I had to start for some (cheap) deaths. The difficulty balancing in the SP game is screwed to hell.

patsu

supermackem said:
Im not getting all the hate for the game, im about five hours into the sp and played around 3 hours or so of mp and loving it all. Yes there is some issues the flickering menu is annoying but the rest are player issues and people loving to be cheap mofos just like in every other fps out there. I cant believe people are calling out too much colour in the game thats a big WTF after the years of greyzone 2 jibes.

The art can indeed benefit from more consistency and more polish, the KZ2 effects are no longer the key presentation elements, but what's out there right now is still top notch albeit somewhat different.

I can still see the love they sank in to carve the boss fights and on-rail scenes. The enemy AI is also better than KZ2. The teammate AI is day-n-night better. The load time is also fast.

The only real complain I have is that the on-rail segments often require me to restart the entire scene when I die. Fortunately, they are not too long. And load time is short !

I'm still trying to figure out which game has a better ending, Killzone 3 or Borderlands...

Two random questions:

* Is there a good chance we'll see online co-op as a patch or DLC?
* Could supporting 3D have led to the changes in the normal visuals of the game? I only ask because the colors and lighting seem very different from KZ2, and I kept thinking it could use some depth-of-field effects to reduce the overall noise of the image. I don't know a damn thing about what changes they make to support 3D so I'm just curious if those kinds of changes can have an effect on the 2D visuals.

I've had nothing but good times with the MP. No connection issues, lag or irritating players. Nearly every team I play with are talking, joking and communicating together. So far, very enjoyable.

BeeDog

conman said:
The checkpoints are a perpetual frustration in this game. I couldn't believe how far back I had to start for some (cheap) deaths. The difficulty balancing in the SP game is screwed to hell.

Huh. I've died tons of times so far (still haven't completed the campaign, mind you), but I find the checkpointing here waaaaaaaaaaaay better than KZ2. I was never brought back too far after dying.

patsu said:
The art can indeed benefit from more consistency and more polish, the KZ2 effects are no longer the key presentation elements, but what's out there right now is still top notch albeit somewhat different.

I can still see the love they sank in to carve the boss fights and on-rail scenes. The enemy AI is also better than KZ2. The teammate AI is day-n-night better.

Like i said before, KZ2 looks better in industrialized locations, where KZ3 has the BEST snow levels I've ever seen, topping Uncharted 2. The jungle also looks amazing in KZ3s crisp/mlaa engine so its definitely a toss up.

patsu

I actually don't mind the MAWLR level. It's reminds me of the R2 Goliath scene, but done right.

The jungle one is pretty interesting too.

I think the jetpacks are more fun to fight in MP.

The snow level is ok.

The Helghasts in the space level are harder to kill because some of them are holed up. I had to take some risk and storm in.

Some of the story transitions may be abrupt but if you're used to reading manga, you should be able to handle them. Some more dev time would be nice, but I don't think it's game killing. It's definitely better than R2 vs R1.

littleornothin

Neo Member
Had to disable auto shut off on controller. When turned on again after turned off, it's not recognized by the game and you're forced to quit and load up the game again :\

And why oh why is the map voting disabled in warfare and warzone.. :(

Well, got to the demo area now. It has been pretty good but still nothing amazing gameplay-wise. The stealth stuff was surprisingly good, but the action ending of that chapter seemed kind of confused and misdirected.

Not sure I'm a fan of the art direction in the jungle area either.

I'm acting like a spoiled child, but I wanted excellence, like KZ2, and this isn't excellent. I am a sad panda.

Lion Heart said:
Ya, it pisses me off how nobody wanted to give KZ2 credit for anything it did right, all of a sudden KZ3 comes out and 2 is the greatest game of all time. Seriously, where were all these people when the game got torn apart on gaf repeatedly? Maybe if they made their opinion heard, more of what they loved would have been in 3. *shrugs*
Are you sure those are the same people? You really didn't think that through did you?

Nobody?.. wow. I've always said that killzone 2 had AMAZING art direction and the BEST use of colour in ANY game. And i still think that. I'm very disapointed that Guerilla listened to the WRONG people. People without any sense of art direction. Killzone 3 has gone the american standard way. The wrong way. Ofcourse this is all my opinion.

Always-honest said:
Are you sure those are the same people? You really didn't think that through did you?

Nobody?.. wow. I've always said that killzone 2 had AMAZING art direction and the BEST use of colour in ANY game. And i still think that. I'm very disapointed that Guerilla listened to the WRONG people. People without any sense of art direction. Killzone 3 has gone the american standard way. The wrong way. Ofcourse this is all my opinion.

I don't think there's anything particularly "American" about color preferences in a shooter. Gears, for example, is the absolute king of the gray/brown/blue color palette, and it is quintessentially American.

However, it IS a little sad to see the art direction used for the first few levels (up to the demo, which is where I am now). I don't even think the "color" complaints about KZ2 were really about color per se. I think people were just lashing out at the concept of "yet another gritty war shooter," and "it's all brown and gray" is the standard thing that people say when they want to criticize obviously great graphics in a genre they want to attack. I thought it was bullshit, personally. KZ2 had the perfect look for what it was doing. Amusingly, even the statements as to how muted the colors in KZ2 were is itself not true. KZ2 had quite a varied color palette across the entire game.

The valid complaint about KZ2 was that there was not a lot of variety over the first half of the game. That they should have listened to... and they did. However, they haven't pulled off the variety thing THAT well, as the pacing is somewhat choopy.

Sorc3r3r

I've played half the SP campaign, and i've enjoyed it a lot, the whole snow section is awesome.
The pace of the action is the thing that is surprising me the most, is very well done.

As for the MP i'm in love with the Operations mode, it reminds me a lot MAG, only with a fast-paced action and with more people that seems to know what and when do stuff, maybe because they could be rewarded with a cutscene?

It's a SHAME that there are only 3 scenarios, this mode should had recevied way more love from the mp designers.

Final word, I'm enjoying KZ3 more that KZ2, so GG, you have my respect :p.

RedRedSuit said:
I don't think there's anything particularly "American" about color preferences in a shooter. Gears, for example, is the absolute king of the gray/brown/blue color palette, and it is quintessentially American.

However, it IS a little sad to see the art direction used for the first few levels (up to the demo, which is where I am now). I don't even think the "color" complaints about KZ2 were really about color per se. I think people were just lashing out at the concept of "yet another gritty war shooter," and "it's all brown and gray" is the standard thing that people say when they want to criticize obviously great graphics in a genre they want to attack. I thought it was bullshit, personally. KZ2 had the perfect look for what it was doing. Amusingly, even the statements as to how muted the colors in KZ2 were is itself not true. KZ2 had quite a varied color palette across the entire game.

The valid complaint about KZ2 was that there was not a lot of variety over the first half of the game. That they should have listened to... and they did. However, they haven't pulled off the variety thing THAT well, as the pacing is somewhat choopy.
yeah, you're right. But the difference between the brown coloured shooters and the true gritty and excellent use of colour in Killzone 2 are miles apart for me. I loved gears, but not for the use of colour. I can understand that for many people they are samish.. but for me there is a big difference in how they display the gritty world.

Always-honest said:
yeah, you're right. But the difference between the brown coloured shooters and the true gritty and excellent use of colour in Killzone 2 are miles apart for me. I loved gears, but not for the use of colour. I can understand that for many people they are samish.. but for me there is a big difference in how they display the gritty world.

Agreed on that. (When I said Gears is the king of that, I did not mean it in a complementary way TBH.)

Mind

Neo Member
Always-honest said:

Define.. wrong people.. sounds dangerous.

jorma

is now taking requests
Ok after playing two thirds of the coop campain and 6 hours of mp with randoms in addition to +30 hours of the two betas, i'm pretty sure i have to name this game "best console shooter ever".

both me and my coop friend agreed that we have not had this much fun since the halo 2 coop campaign. So awesome.

And it can only get better, i hope to get some good clan games this weekend.

Played MP earlier and went 20-3 in my first game and unlocked 3 trophies!

I haven't used any skill points and I'm a bit split on which class to spend it on. Think i'm going with a medic though.

kevm3

The junkyard stage is far beyond what is in Killzone 2. Killzone 2 had more interesting lighting in closed in areas and the motion blur, but other than that, KZ3 is way more interesting visually to me.

It may seem like this game has all kinds of mixed impressions, but for the most part, it's the same 5 or 6 people that loved Killzone 2... and I guess it's understandable they dislike this one because it's nothing like Killzone 2... which for me is a great thing. More colors and varied locals and responsive controls = great thing.

Thrakier

mickcenary said:

See, for me it's totally different. For me, Bioshock is setup as a promising adventure game but ends up as a mediocre shooter. Killzone is "just" a brilliant shooter. I hated the fights in Bioshock, 2 was even worse.

supermackem said:

Yes, I have to agree with you. I was thinking I was the only one here who likes this game. :x

Top Bottom