• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

StuBurns

Banned
r3n4ud said:
Sure. Buy new ps3 and don't enter the code!
Seems a little radical dude, I was thinking like an account reset in the game or something.

It's not the experience, it's having all the weapons and stuff but for a limited time, I don't want to get used to a specific load out then have it taken away from me.

They really need to include a playlist option that includes both the DLC maps and regular maps. I hate having to back out and specifically choose them, I want everything in the voting rotation. I really like the BG retro map, but I don't want to play it five times in a row...I guess this will be part of the custom game patch?

Xater

Galvanise_ said:
Well thats a loaded question. I don't miss the lag and the deadzone. I do miss the lost sense of weight.

I think the sense of wight is still there. I have no complaints about the controls at all.

The ending of the SP comes kind of abrupt and I also wished it was a bit longer. Whatever MP should entertain me for a long time.

I also didn't understand some reviews complaining about the jungle mission. I really liked that mission. Was a nice change of pace, reminded me a bit of those sniper/stealth missions of COD which I also really enjoyed.

Cyberia

darkwing said:
KZ3 Move bundle

Killzone3Move.PNG

I need those sackboys DAMNIT! Where did you get them?

ultron87

Thrakier said:
So I guess one can buy the retro map pack because enough people should have this so that it's played constantly?

Yeah. And until they fix the bug they are the maps that never end! So they'll be plenty of games on em.

btkadams

Thrakier said:
So I guess one can buy the retro map pack because enough people should have this so that it's played constantly?
i have a feeling this game will have a larger userbase than kz2. the online seems easier to get into and they've been promoting the game a lot. i'd say the retro pack is a no-brainer. i hope that when the first dlc maps become available the userbase hasn't died down, but who knows? at least there's nothing really competing with kz3 at the moment other than maybe black ops.

r3n4ud

StuBurns said:
Seems a little radical dude, I was thinking like an account reset in the game or something.

It's not the experience, it's having all the weapons and stuff but for a limited time, I don't want to get used to a specific load out then have it taken away from me.

Ah, I was only kidding lol. But seriously, no, I have no idea if you backtrack on entering a code.

ultron87

StuBurns said:

Aside from making a new PSN account I think you're stuck with it.

If the code was just the "Unlock All" one it should wear off after 24 hours.

leroidys

There's sure a lot of hyperbole and whinging in this thread. I can't figure out if it's the best game ever or the worst game ever. I had some fun with the mp demo but didn't get enough time to try it out or really get used to the controls. The people that hate new elements of it, is it still fun? Do you find yourself going back to multiplayer? Should I just pick up KZ2?

StuBurns

Banned
r3n4ud said:
Ah, I was only kidding lol. But seriously, no, I have no idea if you backtrack on entering a code.
Yeah, I got it, was just playing along. Thanks for the replies though.

ultron87 said:
Aside from making a new PSN account I think you're stuck with it.

If the code was just the "Unlock All" one it should wear off after 24 hours.
Yeah it's 24 hours, I wasn't sure if that meant 24 real hours or 24 hours of gaming though, if it's real world hours that's cool thanks.

Initial impressions. Played the game for around an hour...

The intro is stylish and impressively realised. The
6 months later
turtorial segment is an absolute wow moment and very cleverly done. One of the more interesting ways to incorporate the basics. My favourite bit so far the
fight between the Mech and the Spider robot on the bridge
all happening in the midst of a playable gun battle.

The music so far is, much like the 2nd game, fantastic...although far grander and more akin to a Hollywood blockbuster. Sound effects are awesome as always, although I wish there were more gruesome death cries - they seem to have nixed those to some degree.

Graphics - I'm not sold, sometimes character models look amazing, other times they look a little janky. Particle / environmental effects are amazing, as is the lighting, although motion blur and object blur seems worse. The game seems a little bit too sharp and I really am not digging the extreme contrast, everything looks so dark that much of the detail is lost - even when brightness is fully cranked. Textures and so forth are an improvement. It's weird - half the time I'm thinking; this looks way better than KZ2 and the other half I'm thinking; I liked that better in KZ2. So the remastered engine has it's positives and negatives.

Gameplay - Loved the second game. This feels more arcadey but not to the extent that it feels like COD or Unreal. They struck a good balance between the meaty feeling you got from handling weapons in KZ2 and the faster / slicker control of more mainstream games. I like it.

I think the cutscenes are mostly well done, although I'd prefer less of them, but like Uncharted; they do a great job of masking loading times. It's been pretty immersive so far.

Liking it but haven't played enough of the campaign to judge the game definitively.

darkwing

Cyberia said:
I need those sackboys DAMNIT! Where did you get them?

its the R3 KZ3 Move bundle, its funny too that the R3 Steelcase (which is similar to the EU) is priced similar to an R3 standard game, guess what people are buying lols

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
the national anthem said:
Do any of you miss the awkward and heavy controls from KZ2?

nice question, ace.

Do I miss the recoil, lack of autoaim, and gun feel...yes.

Do I miss the slower controls, not really. I'm using a Move.

conman said:
Well that's a loaded question! If you're asking whether I miss the old weighted controls in KZ2, then yes, I do. But I didn't find them "awkward" or "heavy."

Without those controls, there's nothing that distinguishes KZ3 from any other shooter out there. And thanks to grenade spam, too sticky cover, bad friendly AI pathfinding, bad and inconsistent checkpoint system, bullet sponge enemies, horrible stealth level, too many rails sections, too much (bad) story sequences, poorly balanced ammo drops/crates, and frequent loading hitches... KZ3 is worse than most average FPS campaigns.

Disagree heavily. I agree that the controls are not as unique as KZ2 but they are definitely better off, the guns just need more recoil to differentiate from one another and add some more skill to the game. Everything else though...never noticed grenade spam, toggle cover works perfectly, friendly AI saved my ass hundreds of times and never noticed a problem with them, stealth level was awesome, on rails section were fun breaks (except the snow one) and story was entertaining, more so than most FPS games this gen. Also there was too many ammo crates, thats true.

leroidys said:
There's sure a lot of hyperbole and whinging in this thread. I can't figure out if it's the best game ever or the worst game ever. I had some fun with the mp demo but didn't get enough time to try it out or really get used to the controls. The people that hate new elements of it, is it still fun? Do you find yourself going back to multiplayer? Should I just pick up KZ2?

It's a great game that was clearly rushed, and lacks an uncountable amount of online features from KZ2. Just a few issues:

- Can't join clan members games. Umm, come again Guerrilla? Seriously? Nobody thought this should have been included day 1? Really?!

- Only 8 maps, which can't even be used in all modes, and day 0 "map pack" DLC, that when used doesn't even rotate maps within the normal selection.

- Week 1 "map pack" NUMBER 2! Holy shit. Go fuck yourself Guerrilla, go fuck yourself Sony. I hope nobody buys this shit.

- Server and freezing issues galore.

Game is in desperate need of a very substantial patch. But it's still a lot of fun when it works, and hell, only cost me $40 on Amazon.

CozMick

Banned
Can't believe how incredible this game feels when using Playstation Move.

It just feels sooooooooooo damn good.

On another topic, I can't wait to see the DF analysis on the multiplayer because quite frankly I think some people in this thread are talking out of there ass with this <20fps bullshit.

6hrs+ of multiplayer and it's smooth as butter.

Sure there is less players in the server than KZ2 but it never ever drops frames like KZ2 did.

Not really digging the maps. I thought Frozen Dam wasn't so hot in the beta, but now I think it's probably the best of the bunch. KZ2's were pretty unique with radically different feels and visual style, but half of KZ3's just meld together in my mind. I absolutely hate the other snowy one.

daevv

Finished the SP today. I liked the epicness of the 2nd one better. I also like the length of #2 as it took me under 6 hours on easy to finish it. Starting Elite this weekend.

~d

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
CozMick said:
Can't believe how incredible this game feels when using Playstation Move.

It just feels sooooooooooo damn good.

On another topic, I can't wait to see the DF analysis on the multiplayer because quite frankly I think some people in this thread are talking out of there ass with this <20fps bullshit.

6hrs+ of multiplayer and it's smooth as butter.

Sure there is less players in the server than KZ2 but it never ever drops frames like KZ2 did.

I think the game has hit 15fps with the lag and just general under optimization. It is most definitely not consistent/30. SP plays great, MP not so much.

So I just played with the Move.

I'm flabbergasted.

How in the fuck can a developer NAIL a control scheme and have options most if not all devs fail at yet, the rest of the game feels underwhelming graphics aside. It's like they have an "on" "Off" switch for when they want to be Phenomenal developers and then "WTF is this shit?!" devs.

cakefoo

The things you can't do while reloading, like moving in cover, it's just ridiculous. And I keep dying while in cover, it's damn frustrating.

I'm a conservative player, my strategy isn't ballsy or reckless. And yet I am constantly being told that I'm doing something wrong. And there's always like one spot that once you find, everything becomes a cakewalk.

StuBurns

Banned
cakefoo said:
The things you can't do while reloading, like moving in cover, it's just ridiculous. And I keep dying while in cover, it's damn frustrating.

I'm a conservative player, my strategy isn't ballsy or reckless. And yet I am constantly being told that I'm doing something wrong. And there's always like one spot that once you find, everything becomes a cakewalk.
I had the opposite experience. I too tend to like hanging back and clearing areas before pushing forward (probably goes a large way to explain my disdain for CoD) and I was able to do that pretty much the whole time. There was one section when Rico was spending about five minutes trying to open a door when I felt like I had to adhere to the game's direction more specifically, but I haven't replayed it to try.

Certainly in Six Months On there is a very specific puzzle like progression if you wish to do it without being seen, but if you don't care you can still blast your way thru as ever.

Haven't done the full MP yet, but SP was a HUGE leap in quality over KZ2. KZ2 was a shitty SP game with a fun MP segment, so I have to see how MP turns out for me, but the SP really was a lot of fun.

Galvanise_ said:
I feel I should clarify. It still has a weighty feel, but it feels less weighty than KZ2.

People have greatly exaggerated the weight thing as if it's now COD or something. The game still has more weight in the controls than pretty much all other console FPS, they just toned it down from previous games.

leroidys said:

Tons of hyperbole in this thread

Dizzy

Banned
How do you use the collector's code?

My email says...

How to redeem your code:

1. From the main menu go to 'extra menu'.

2. Select 'network'.

3. When prompted sign into your PlaystationNetwork* account.

4. When prompted select 'enter password'.

5. Enter your 12 character promotion code

6. Follow the on-screen instructions to redeem the promotion code.

7. Enjoy

Do you enter it in the game or in the PSN store? o_O

Dug

Banned
Dizzy said:

My email says...

How to redeem your code:

2. Select 'network'.

7. Enjoy

PSN store

StuBurns

Banned
Dizzy said:

My email says...

How to redeem your code:

2. Select 'network'.

7. Enjoy

That's a load of shit, just redeem it on PSN as normal.

EDIT: Beaten

i can deal with all the other BS in the MP but please just boost the health up a lil. getting killed because you run past a crack in the wall is fucking stupid.

Dizzy

Banned
Thanks guys.

Never got into KZ2 multiplayer, when I did try it a year later I was too much of a rookie and got destroyed by everyone. Think I might give this game a shot though.

fuzzyreactor said:
i can deal with all the other BS in the MP but please just boost the health up a lil. getting killed because you run past a crack in the wall is fucking stupid.

Either reducing auto-aim or increasing recoil would be better than increasing health (or both).

HooCares

Neo Member
PaddyOCanager said:
They really need to include a playlist option that includes both the DLC maps and regular maps. I hate having to back out and specifically choose them, I want everything in the voting rotation. I really like the BG retro map, but I don't want to play it five times in a row...I guess this will be part of the custom game patch?

They've confirmed the repeating retro maps is a glitch and they are working on a fix.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
fuzzyreactor said:
would be epic if everyone in that video didn't die in 1 second

Repeating yourself isn't going to get your point across much more. I personally dislike games where everyone is a bullet sponge. Killzone 3's health is perfect for me. Not sure why you even bother with KZ3 since you also mentioned "all the other BS". There's plenty of choices out there. I enjoy Killzone 3's MP immensely.

Here's an interview with a couple of modelers on Killzone 3:

http://www.pixologic.com/interview/killzone3/1/

img01c7eb.jpg

cakefoo said:
That right there is my main criticism of GG when it comes to all of the Killzone games. They don't design battles as much as they design puzzles. Combat isn't a push pull of offense and defense and adapting to circumstances. Its primarily about a challenge and finding "the" way through the challenge. Most cover based shooters fall into this trap at some point but I think it epitomizes GG design.

Sometimes you'd take the "wrong" move and get seriously penalized for it - either by being in the wrong place to see just whats about to insta kill you, or by choosing the one spot that leaves you exposed entirely when the dropship comes to drop reinforcements. Yeah, war is chaos, until you find the way that's been decided for you and everything falls into place in cinematic style.

btkadams said:
i have a feeling this game will have a larger userbase than kz2. the online seems easier to get into and they've been promoting the game a lot. i'd say the retro pack is a no-brainer. i hope that when the first dlc maps become available the userbase hasn't died down, but who knows? at least there's nothing really competing with kz3 at the moment other than maybe black ops.

I think this game hit at just the right time. There really isn't any other shooters that have come out for awhile. And the big boys of the fps games have been doing there thing for awhile now. i managed to get my 5 friends hyped for this game. They all have never played thier ps3 so much.

conman

cakefoo said:
Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I wonder if the folks who are enjoying the SP campaign are the ones who are doing exactly what the developers want them to do? Meanwhile, those of us who like to test the boundaries of a game, experiment a bit more with strategies, and find creative solutions to difficult sequences are being unfairly punished by the game.

I had endless one-shot deaths in this game. Sometimes while supposedly behind cover. Sometimes from going in the "wrong" direction. Sometimes for no reason I could tell. Sometimes from the endless grenade spam (and the stickier cover makes it harder to avoid). But I think it's simply that I often look for unorthodox "solutions" in FPS games. But KZ3 doesn't let me do that. I was perpetually frustrated through the entire SP campaign (with the sole exception of the jetpack/oil rig level).

Hixx

Square Triangle said:
Finished the jungle level. Such a fucking gorgeous environment.

Just finished that level and after watching the vid of the MP map (which I thought was ugly as hell) I was pleasantly surprised. Just a really cool level overall.

StuBurns

Banned
thuway said:
Next Killzone should give the devs a 3 year cycle.
2014 ummm, might as well make it for PS4. They need an exclusive shooter for launch, they won't be bothering with Resistance I imagine.

KJTB

Having never played KZ 1 or 2, would it be stupid or a waste of money to pick up KZ3?

I'd play the single player just to play it, regardless of if I didn't really know the story (though I'd probably just look up a plot synopsis of the first 2). I'm mostly interested in the MP, it looks like a lot of fun...

Top Bottom