• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Dipindots said:
Having never played KZ 1 or 2, would it be stupid or a waste of money to pick up KZ3?

I'd play the single player just to play it, regardless of if I didn't really know the story (though I'd probably just look up a plot synopsis of the first 2). I'm mostly interested in the MP, it looks like a lot of fun...

Play 2 first. It a really good game, the story is a direct continuation, I found it less frustrating then this one and it's worth it alone for the fight to the palace.

Another thing this game does very well is that the A.I doesn't treat you like you are the only soldier on the field. Its so refreshing flanking someone who is busy fighting it out with one of my allies. Or sticking my head out of cover in a corner and not be blasted by everyone right at that moment.

JVIDICAN

I'm really enjoying the multi so far. Controls feel great, Looks gorgeous, and I'm liking most of the maps. The only map I'm not a fan of is Akmir Snowdrift.

Lion Heart said:
Another thing this game does very well is that the A.I doesn't treat you like you are the only soldier on the field. Its so refreshing flanking someone who is busy fighting it out with one of my allies. Or sticking my head out of cover in a corner and not be blasted by everyone right at that moment.

Not in my game. It doesn't matter how many people I have on my side those guys are only after me. I peak my head out of cover and I'm getting shot from all directions even though my buddy is standing out in the open.

JVIDICAN said:
I'm really enjoying the multi so far. Controls feel great, Looks gorgeous, and I'm liking most of the maps. The only map I'm not a fan of is Akmir Snowdrift.
I hate that map too, way too much snow in your face.

cnizzle06

Banned
So I mistakenly bought the game from GoCrazyGames, a market place on amazon, somehow and just now finally received it. Anywho, they gave me some bilingual version containing both English and French on the cover(European version?) and I'm wondering if anything will be altered. I mean, the lip syncing in the intro movie seemed extremely off so...

StuBurns said:
2014 ummm, might as well make it for PS4. They need an exclusive shooter for launch, they won't be bothering with Resistance I imagine.

I think KZ4 will be on the PS4 too. Guerilla's second studio/team is making a PS3 game, which will give the main team chance to bury their heads in PS4 research.

The PS4 will be quite exciting. Before the PS3 gen and early on this gen, Sony dev's weren't networking/sharing tech as much as they are now. Their internal technologies are fantastic these days.

teekun

cnizzle06 said:
So I mistakenly bought the game from GoCrazyGames, a market place on amazon, somehow and just now finally received it. Anywho, they gave me some bilingual version containing both English and French on the cover(European version?) and I'm wondering if anything will be altered. I mean, the lip syncing in the intro movie seemed extremely off so...

If it has English and French on the cover, it's just the Canadian version. And all versions have a language select, so don't worry about it.

StuBurns

Banned
Galvanise_ said:
I think KZ4 will be on the PS4 too. Guerilla's second studio/team is making a PS3 game, which will give the main team chance to bury their heads in PS4 research.
I didn't know they had a second studio, I wonder what they're doing.

My dream right now is a prequel set on earth focusing on the hunting gameplay they touched on in 3.

A.R.K

Finished the jungle level last night. They really nailed the look of an alien jungle. Stealth gameplay was a lot to be desired though.
Also the elite guards that come to get you once you blow your cover are pretty weak and pretty dumb. The spider thingy in the jungle level were too easy and dumb. Just sitting around firing rockets until they get their ass get kicked.
I am playing on vet. and it feels a lot easier than KZ2.

Some how the execution of gameplay and cutscenes feels disconnected to me more so than KZ2. I think GG needs some new and experienced talent in story telling, level design and MP design. Most likely the game was rushed out too (I am thinking this is Sony's fault) and just feels weak in certain areas. Specially sound is a big mix of good and bad (out of sync, some stuff is too loud, other too soft etc). As others have said they needed more time to polish it. I am betting custom games and other stuff was taken out to meet the release date.

I wish ND would do a KZ game. Their story telling, direction and execution is almost perfect. Just imagine ND doing their magic with the amazing KZ back story.

So, I'm done with the multiplayer till they fix it. I've been disconnected so much today, and had two hard freezes on Blood Gratch, ugh. It sucks cause I actually like the multiplayer, and the only map I don't like is that Boulevard map. *waits impatiently for a patch*

A.R.K said:
Finished the jungle level last night. They really nailed the look of an alien jungle. Stealth gameplay was a lot to be desired though.
Also the elite guards that come to get you once you blow your cover are pretty weak and pretty dumb. The spider thingy in the jungle level were too easy and dumb. Just sitting around firing rockets until they get their ass get kicked.
I am playing on vet. and it feels a lot easier than KZ2.

Some how the execution of gameplay and cutscenes feels disconnected to me more so than KZ2. I think GG needs some new and experienced talent in story telling, level design and MP design. Most likely the game was rushed out too (I am thinking this is Sony's fault) and just feels weak in certain areas. Specially sound is a big mix of good and bad (out of sync, some stuff is too loud, other too soft etc). As others have said they needed more time to polish it. I am betting custom games and other stuff was taken out to meet the release date.

I wish ND would do a KZ game. Their story telling, direction and execution is almost perfect. Just imagine ND doing their magic with the amazing KZ back story.

ND could make a much better KZ.

GG is really only good for their artists.

HooCares

Neo Member
lastinline said:
So, I'm done with the multiplayer till they fix it. I've been disconnected so much today, and had two hard freezes on Blood Gratch, ugh. It sucks cause I actually like the multiplayer, and the only map I don't like is that Boulevard map. *waits impatiently for a patch*

Fuckin sucks - they need to work out these issues. I'm lucky - 12+ hours, 0 problems joining/staying in games.

Short and sort of mediocre single player campaign in my book. It had its intense moments but not as good as the second Killzone. Nothing really horrible but... boring mostly.

The move controls however... So good it makes you wanna slap your mama!

Love how they fucking nailed it with custom settings and the works. Awesome awesome work here.

cakefoo

Just finished the game. I heard no stuttering in the cutscenes, but the sync with the lips was distractingly bad the entire time. Also, there were tons of instances where you'd see an explosion, crash, screaming, and other typically loud situations, yet there was no sound effect to go along. Considering the pre-rendered nature of the cutscenes, I'm assuming it was a lack of polish rather than some kind of technical issue.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Invited some people over to play some deathmatch. Does this game not have local deathmatch? We can't find any options?

Do they really expect us to go to different locations and use different TVs just to play together?

Grisby

StuBurns said:
I didn't know they had a second studio, I wonder what they're doing.

My dream right now is a prequel set on earth focusing on the hunting gameplay they touched on in 3.

My dream would be a short dlc sp campaign starring Luger, which would have a lot of stealth gameplay.

The forest level in KZ3 is the most memorable thing about this game for me.

Just finished the campaign. Mostly great. Just one question...

Did our heroes just commit fucking genocide right now? But then there was the scene in the credits with the two Troopers just wandering around, so maybe not. It'd be awesome if Visari were in the escape pod, but even if it's Stahl, it's alright. Stahl is hilariously awesome. The mostly abrupt ending sorta sucks... Bring on Killzone 4?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
H_Prestige said:

Well, no, but ND could make a better X than 99% of studios. It's almost tautological.

PuppetSlave said:
Short and sort of mediocre single player campaign in my book. It had its intense moments but not as good as the second Killzone.

Eh? It was longer than KZ2, and really offered much more variety in gameplay over 2. Thought it was a huge leap

BeeDog

Started the MAWLR part earlier today, and I assume I don't have much left of the game. So far, the game has surpassed my expectations. Aside from polish issues (which I will try to touch on in my mini-review after I finish it :p), the single-player has been fucking awesome. I really liked the SP in KZ2, but this is so much better in every way.

Graphically, this is also much better than KZ2. The textures are like ten times better, the levels are truly bigger, the FPS feels more stable and personally I like the art of these levels more despite the addition of tons of color. Though the "lack" of motion blur still hurts.

Jtrizzy

Darkness said:
Invited some people over to play some deathmatch. Does this game not have local deathmatch? We can't find any options?

Do they really expect us to go to different locations and use different TVs just to play together?
Were you expecting 4 player split screen? Maybe do some research next time. My guess is the split screen is barely playable, so thinking that would be in is kind lulz worthy.

TUROK

H_Prestige said:

Umm... Sure.

I'd like to see Naughty Dog do intense firefight scenarios like Guerilla does.

Y2Kev

Wanna know one thing I think doesn't fucking work? The checkpoints. I have had to redo this mech level 3 times because I had to shut the console off after.

Hixx

Game has taken a huge nosedive since the demo level. Revive mechanic doesn't make cheap deaths ok, Guerilla. Sooo many 'what the fuck happened?' deaths now.

So, this double XP stuff. I take it once I enter the code I got with my collectors edition, the next time I go online will be when the 24 hours begins?

BeeDog

Y2Kev said:
Wanna know one thing I think doesn't fucking work? The checkpoints. I have had to redo this mech level 3 times because I had to shut the console off after.

How exactly has it not been working for you? Personally, the check-pointing seems to be working much better than in KZ2, since the game doesn't revive me far back.

Darkness said:

Can't you play in bot mode? Or is that just warzone?

Y2Kev

BeeDog said:
How exactly has it not been working for you? Personally, the check-pointing seems to be working much better than in KZ2, since the game doesn't revive me far back.

Get to checkpoint

realize i have to stop

try "restart at last checkpoint" to test

shut off console

turn on console

be at earlier checkpoint

x2

AndyD

aka andydumi
Y2Kev said:
Get to checkpoint

realize i have to stop

try "restart at last checkpoint" to test

shut off console

turn on console

be at earlier checkpoint

x2

I have noticecd that in other games as well. Medal of Honor and Resistance I think do the same. Someone explained that in MOH that they wanted "save/continue" only from certain spots within a level, not every checkpoint, so that the set pieces and whatnot work as intended.

Maybe its the same here? So there are death/revive checkpoints and story/save checkpoints but they are called the same on screen.

Y2Kev

AndyD said:
I have noticecd that in other games as well. Medal of Honor and Resistance I think do the same. Someone explained that in MOH that they wanted "save/continue" only from certain spots within a level, not every checkpoint, so that the set pieces and whatnot work as intended.

Maybe its the same here? So there are death/revive checkpoints and story/save checkpoints but they are called the same on screen.
Yeah, it's not a big deal. I just didn't like that part.

The jungle level is quite good. Though Kowalski might as well be Deuce or Soap or something.

Massa

1UP just posted a fantastic piece about Killzone. Must read.

One of the least interesting things there is the mention of Killzone 3 DLC being worked on by Sony Cambridge. I noticed some people are upset that this FPS is getting map packs (how dare them), so you might find that interesting at least.

StuBurns

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Eh? It was longer than KZ2, and really offered much more variety in gameplay over 2. Thought it was a huge leap
I don't think it was longer. I beat it in like six hours at the most, about the same, I'd say KZ2 was longer.

EDIT: According to my chapter select screen, I finished all sections in 3.3 hours, however that apparently doesn't cover times when you failed, cutscenes presumably etc.

I died 15 times before the last level, and 12 on the last level.

I think it's safely under six hours.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So, I don't wanna wade through the whole thread, but I'm moving my PS3 into my game room, and picking up a move/sharpshooter in April.

How does move/sharpshooter work in MP? Are people using it over controller? Is it really that good?

Massa

Alienshogun said:
So, I don't wanna wade through the whole thread, but I'm moving my PS3 into my game room, and picking up a move/sharpshooter in April.

How does move/sharpshooter work in MP? Are people using it over controller? Is it really that good?

Some people love Move, others still prefer the DS3.

The Sharpshooter doesn't seem to be very popular though.

CozMick

Banned
Alienshogun said:

Personally (As said previously :p) Move is bloody fantastic. (I use Nav controller/Move)

There have been multiple times where I killed a guy only to think to myself "wow, I wouldn't have killed him with a dual shock"

Being able to snap to a corner of your screen is a godsend, nigh on Mouse and Keyboard tbh.

The only, and I mean only quirk I have with Move during multiplayer is meleeing, having to stab towards the screen is a pain in the damn arse. Give me a melee button GG, goddamn it

But remember, practice makes perfect ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
CozMick said:
Personally (As said previously :p) Move is bloody fantastic. (I use Nav controller/Move)

There have been multiple times where I killed a guy only to think to myself "wow, I wouldn't have killed him with a dual shock"

Being able to snap to a corner of your screen is a godsend, nigh on Mouse and Keyboard tbh.

The only, and I mean only quirk I have with Move during multiplayer is meleeing, having to stab towards the screen is a pain in the damn arse. Give me a melee button GG, goddamn it

But remember, practice makes perfect ;)

Sounds like motion control may finally bridge that gap that so many have complained about for accuracy discrepancy between PC and Console.

Does it hinder turning or does it just take getting used to?

CozMick

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Sounds like motion control may finally bridge that gap that so many have complained about for accuracy discrepancy between PC and Console.

Almost remove the bounding box by setting the vertical and horizontal to 0 in the options, this makes turning practically flawless.

But be warned, some people see Move as a pat your head, rub you stomach type of thing, it just won't ever work for them.

I'm just one of the lucky ones :p

Halcyon

Everytime I try to play warzone my game freezes. I can only play death match. Sad face.

As for the sharpshooter. Its a neat toy and I was having fun playing dead space extraction with it. The single player for killzone is fun with sharpshooter if you use the target lock and don't care that the cursor doesn't line up with where you are pointing.

As for multiplayer, the standard move is the only way to use it. Sitting relaxed hand on your leg. Small flicks of the wrist. Can't do that with sharpshooter and even if you could its tiresome holding the gun for that long with no real benefit of using it over vanilla move.

Arnie

Spent the past hour trying to get into a game with my close friend from back home. Failed miserably. Fuck this game and fuck this online service, it's a pile of absolute shit. No propriety private chat and the game can't even create a standard two man party without crashing to hell and back.

In 2011 this is unacceptable.
Le sigh.

Just finished it. The level design is much better, allow more tactics and with much more variety.

But it feels very rushed. It's short, lacks more bosses, there are zero collectables or reasons to replay a chapter, a lot of scenes (specially some on rails) are very cheap, without any other tactic than shoot fast the red dots, the ending is short and awful and some cinematics don't match very well with the gameplay, or are simply dull.

It's a pity, because I enjoy the "regular gameplay" more than K2, and I liked more the characters and the overall plot (until the end), but it leave me a bitter taste than when I finished K2.

oneHeero

For Move/Sharpshooter users;

How often do you re-calibrate via kz option screen? I feel like I have to recalibrate 5x a game, then again between rounds. Whenever I switch weapons basically. Most times I play through it til the cursor drifts wildly off. But when its on point and accurate, I say damn this is good. When it drifts off I can still manage but feels more mouse (aim) like then gun like.

What am I doing wrong that it constantly drifts? I thought it needed to be charged but they are fully charged. I saw TTPs video but still not sure what he means.

My PSeye is on top of my TV and I sit on a chair so I'm leveled with the TV not the camera. I have the camera point a lil lower and I have it in the middle of the TV and I sit in the middle of the TV as well, about 6-7 ft. Once calibrated, shouldnt I be able to move about and play? Like on Sports Champion, or do I have to stay sitting in my exact spot?

When I calibrate the gun, do I point at the camera or at the TV?

I really am enjoying the game a lot.
Anyone?

CozMick

Banned
oneHeero said:

Once, everytime I start up the game from the XMB, I have yet to re-calibrate after the initial set-up.

My PS Eye is sitting on the top of my tv, and I calibrate by pointing at the centre of the screen from the position I'd be holding Move while playing.

Halcyon

Alienshogun said:

I think the hardest part with the move is just getting the settings right and figuring out how to sit while your playing. Once you get it set its great. You can turn and aim at stuff without problems. I think the best thing is being able to flick your wrist and look at 90 degree angles waaaaay faster than ds3 will allow.

Top Bottom