• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Thrakier

Started the game yesterday and played online a bit. Good stuff so far, like it a lot. Playing with move, no crosshair and no HUD for maximum immersion. Great shooter experience.

Brannon

Also would have like to get a bit
of back story
about
what
Rico
was up to after going to save Jammer since he leaves and when he comes back
all of a sudden
he has the entire crew under his command.

This will be DLC. MARK MY WORDS.

Mush

How can you honestly tell me, that a random out of place "stealth" mission, where you hide in grass that is like bright yellow and with is no chance of sneaking by them, is fun? How about ramboing through a brown junkyard that's like a metre wide and 3 metres tall?

Don't forget to shoot the vents when they turn bright red!

JB1981

GraveRobberX said:
The maps, all 8 of them, should be usable for all different game modes

It is amazing that there are only 3 Operations maps, and certain maps are Guerrilla Warfare and some are WarZone only, also it doesn't help the Fucking retro map pack fractures the community Day Fucking 1

I get tired with-in 1-2 map rotations, it's feels like the Same Old Shit but only a few days have passed since release, and nothing stands (burned out on it already)

Other FPS's have good rotations, or good choices in what to vote for, or give you options
(Using COD for example, but you see people play for months before getting tired/burned out, but for me personally, 3+ days in, I'm like that's it WTF!?)

Lets take a look @ what I can do

Here I'll make the maps better:

CORINTH HIGHWAY
Key Features: Warzone – 24 players, Exos, WASPS, Mortar Beacons

1 Exo per team (respawn every 3-5 minutes, so if teammates are careless, you are at a disadvantage, if other team still has there Exo take it out, or getting owned with it)

WASPS should only lock onto Exos/Other WASPS Turrets/Gun Turret/Sentry Turrets|Droids|Medic Bot (only giving medic splash damage, if below a certain health, Medic dies, only the respawn ability can help him out. No Human kills with WASPS, they shouldn't register unless if they are in proximity to certain turret, and only through splash damage)

Mortars can be handy, but 1 every 10 minutes you hold the TSA, if taken by another team, and re-taken, 5 minutes, if used, 10 minutes again (1 location. the Building with Balcony TSA)

4 TSA's: 1 each in the area after spawn point, "the plaza areas" (2), the 1 that's located inside the building with turrets > should be moved underneath the bridge right in the central area (add 2-3 bridge columns from snipe camping either side), leave the one that's on the balcony on the opposite side

PYRRHUS CRATER
Key Features: Warzone – 24 Players, Guerrilla Warfare – 16 Player, Miniguns, Mortar Beacons

The tilting effect given from the map is a huge hindrance. It adds nothing of value, just makes the gameplay more frustrating. As one GAFfer said it best "It's like being on the Titanic".

Need to add 2 more TSA's, either the area right near the S&D locations for each team, the middle TSA stays where it is, but just having 1 is atrocious

(I know this sounds stupid but what the hell)
If they want that tilt effect, use it as an event trigger (like the EMP from Turbine), that an aftershock (mini-quake), shakes your perception like that, for 1-2 minutes, but it goes back to normal after that

The pipes should be interlinked, it could be a map with-in a map, creating either for a more tactical approach, or 1 that GG really loves creating Bottlenecks, but at least you can't have 5+ bottlenecks going on at the same time, an area would be clear to traverse (hopefully)

Same thing with Mortars again

BILGARSK BOULEVARD
Key Feature: Warzone – 24 Players, Guerrilla Warfare – 16 Players, Miniguns, Mortar Beacons

This map feels like someone took a Golf Course Hole from Tiger Woods Golf (hello dogwood & out of bounds/water hazards), then added destruction/buildings to make it feel interesting

This map is pure Alleyways, and going by the map name I understand it, but the buildings aren't recognizable, there is no "connectedness". If someone says come help me I'm in the building, I'll be going which fucking one? that brown destructed one or that other brown destructed one. No visual cues, like oh the "library", or oh the "lofts".
(Nothing stands out)

This map reminds me of COD4's Bloc, each side grabs a TSA and camps the buildings, and just does it things, the middle being no man's land

Add more connectivity through the buildings, passage ways that lead into or out of them. Basements that lead to the subterranean level for more a dark/glowy feel, and lead you out into the devastated Boulevard

TURBINE CONCOURSE SE-6
Key Features: Warzone – 24 Players, Jetpacks, Miniguns

There's only 2 ways to reach the other side, through the middle or through the tunnel that's to the left of the map (the map shows it as south)
There should be a tunnel directly built from the ISA and HGH spawn area and should cross in the middle underneath the EMP leading to that TSA, it gives better options to the players

The TSA's are fine, 3 of them work perfectly, either grab them or be dominated

The EMP event is a cool twist, and really adds something nice into all that chaos

The spawn camping in this is to easy, to many ways to get camped from mid range to far way, if you lock down the 2-3 areas that lead out, you have closed in the the enemy
(No hidden paths or ways to leave, all areas leading out can be camped)

FROZEN DAM
Key Features: Warzone – 24 Players, Guerrilla Warfare – 16 Players, Operations – 16 Players, Mortar Beacons

Ugh this MAP is super unbalanced, it favors the ISA outright

The Spawn locations for the ISA are to close, and the one for HGH is to far from the others, they need to move the second from the gate into the snow area by broken dam tunnel area near the rocks

1/3rd of the Map is useless and barren, they need to move some of the objective towards it

C&H favors the team with middle TSA (mostly ISA, due to there spawn area being so close by, while HGH are far away from it)
Same goes for Propaganda speaker, the ISA get a huge advantage of placing the speaker almost 2 buildings away from HGH spawn, yet HGH speaker location isn't even 100 feet from ISA spawn location
(These need to be either moved or rebalanced and given a moving target, explain more at the fix overall feature)

AKMIR SNOWDRIFT
Key Features: Warzone – 24 Players, Guerrilla Warfare – 16 Players, Operations – 16 Players, Snowstorm

Once again ISA have a huge advantage, they have so many ways to maneuver and reach the rig, while HGH from the get go are blocked by taking narrow alleyways and steps down and are sitting ducks for the awaiting ISA, no blocking to give ISA any hindrance.

The Snowstorm feature should again be used an event (EMP), where there's light flurries, but the winds kick up and bring the storm for 5 minutes but then dissipate for 10-15 minutes and reappears again

The TSA favor the ISA, the HGH have to leave the rig to grab 2 of the 3 TSA's, while the ISA comfortably get to grab both and just push up

MAWLR GRAVEYARD
Key Features: Warzone – 24 Players, Operations – 16 Players, Mortar Beacons, Crusher

Once again the Crusher should be an event that's triggered by itself in a timely manner, it should be a risk/reward scenario, not go press a button and hope someone is there (which if you guessed is not a whole lot, people just run in the side tunnels, so the thing is never used, no point to when there are better options available, than running straight down the area and be a sitting duck)

Mortars here can really be a nuisance, due to huge open areas, and chucking them in open spaces nets you kills, no blockage, strike is close to direct hits possible

KAZNAN JUNGLE
Key Features: Guerrilla Warfare – 16 Players

Ugh.... just endless loops of tunnels, the trying to get the feeling of a "Labyrinth Jungle" is not a map. Multiple times invisible walls have stopped me, which could be great jump to points (shortcuts), and it just 1 endless circular map

You can literally get lost in there, and the spawn location don't help, multiple times I have spawned and with-in 2 seconds of spawning being Brutal Melee'd from the back by the enemy

Overall Features:

Capture & Hold on maps should be placed 1 closest to each base and one right in the middle of the map
(Turbine = good job, but ISA one has no cover, yet HGH get advantage with there's being blocked by walls and debris in the way)
(Frozen Dam = bad job, the locations aren't to far apart, and the openess given to the ISA from their viewpoint is easier than it is for the HGH)

Propaganda speaker should start out @ the location of the middle C&H point
When the team scores, the speaker will be placed 200-300 feet from 1st location towards the team who hasn't scored, then if said team scores again the placement will be only 50 feet from the location placement

For example: ISA get speaker and score, now the speaker location is more closer to the HGH spawn area, and have better chance to grab and score, while the ISA have to fight to get it back, if ISA scores, the spawn location is now close to the HGH & Propaganda location, if ISA are good enough they can take it, but HGH will have spawn area location advantage to deal with
(If both teams start scoring the speaker keeps getting pushed back, making it tougher to get point #2, and point #3 look easier (but can get trapped in it)

Time for all objectives should be extended by 1+ minute from assassinations taking longer to complete, or more kills for Bodycount

Add MORE FUCKING STUFF!, by that I mean, more modes maybe 1 or 2, something more
More weapons, 3 primary and 3 secondary is not enough and almost 1-2 are directly shareable with other classes, so it's still the same thing
Where is the nail gun, flamethrower, electric gun, fuck, you have this whole fucking universe and each side has only <5 weapons available to themselves

Sorry for the ranting, trying to make it better essay

Thanks for reading though (^_^)b
I read your essay. You put more thought into map design than GG.

Sethos

Banned
Now this may sound odd but was I the only one getting seriously frustrated with the amount of bullets the enemy could take, compared to the amount you could take? I'm playing on the second easiest level because I stupidly thought I'd go for an 'enjoyment run'.

First few levels were as expected but as you got halfway through ~, things just took a turn for the worse. I could barely take a burst from the enemy without dying and I still had to fire clip after clip and they'd still get up after falling down! I swear to god, felt like playing a zombie shooter at times.

Towards the end, it felt like a reload simulator - I did nothing but rush from one appropriately placed ammobox to the next appropriately placed ammo box 20ft further down the hallway. So the game just forced you into the artificial time-lengthening circus of sitting behind cover, popping up randomly, firing off a burst and then down again.

Then it just got worse as they decided to go the clusterfuck route and just spawn a ton of enemies that would outflank you, be above you and just bumrush you while Rico & Co decided to just be onlookers ... Not only that, when you died, he often wouldn't god damn resurrect me despite being RIGHT NEXT TO ME?! And other times, he'd resurrect me in the middle of a gunfight, which got me killed 3 times in a row until he said something along the lines of "He's gone" or "Took too many hits" and then bam, back to the last checkpoint.

Normally I don't mind this sort of thing as I'm the guy who completes Call of Duty games on veteran, just for the sake of it but this game was more infuriating than anything I can remember! Oh and not to forget the pinpoint accuracy of the grenades thrown by the Helghast - Someone give them a freakin' medal ...

So throughout the game I didn't get the sense of wanting to progress, because I knew the areas would just get increasingly frustrating. I don't mind a challenge but you don't have to make it cheap and stupid.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Brannon said:
This will be DLC. MARK MY WORDS.

Please let there be DLC with a 2h mission where you play as Jammer and 3 new maps for multiplayer!

Facism

Just got off the
icesaw

Seriously average singleplayer game compounded by crap cutscene direction, audio bugs and an overall lack of cohesion between gameplay and cutscene. Why FPS devs these days don't look at something as old as half-life or even it's sequel, as an inspiration on how you do stories via the gameplay. You really shouldn't be taken out of the game as much as you are in KZ3.

The gameplay is great as always, though. Just the rest of it is pretty average. I'm not fully digging how the game looks. KZ2 looked really clean and had a nice soft look to everything that added a little more grit to the image. KZ3 is super sharp, seemingly full of jaggies and harsh lighting. Prefer the overall art and graphic direction of KZ2, but despite my issues kz3 is still a great looking game. GG have this great talent of making enviroments feel alive and active with windflows and debris.

----

As for MP, enough of you know my views on that. Not worth a fucking damn when playing with randoms, but with friends and the clan it's manageable. Even if we lose we still have a decent time. I'm looking forward to custom games so we can get regular FTSG clan only games rolling so we can all play together.

Warzone has many many issues. GG need to reduce the points given for kills. 100 for a kill, 150 for headshots/explosive kills is too much. When you get your score breakdown at the end of a round, your kills score shouldn't be 4x the rest of your points in a team based objective game.

Reduce points per kill to 50 and 75 for headshots/explosives. Bring back the bonus point areas around active objectives to help encourage people to play them. It was a brilliant idea in KZ2 that is sorely missing here.

Increase points for completing objectives and give some points to the entire team if successful in completing that objective. You already have this for Assassination, where survivor gets mad points and rest of team gets 100 for being bodyguards. Reward players for playing to the objectives. Ties in with the good old bonus points area idea you had in KZ2.

Capturing a TSP should net more points than 50, considering how they're as important as completing the objectives.

Basically, players should be earning more points by playing to the objectives of Warzone compared to the points they earn by killing other players. I think it would shift the game in the right direction and allow the mode to shine as it once did.

I'd like to talk about the maps, but Gravy has covered my issues in his post so there :D If they lost a few mappers from KZ2, it shows in KZ3.

This game can be very cheap. Sometimes you turn a corner get shot straight away and die straight up, if there's no Rico to revive you it means repeating the entire section, urgh.

Seems like you can only take a few hits before you're down.

X-Frame

Facism said:
As for MP, enough of you know my views on that. Not worth a fucking damn when playing with randoms, but with friends and the clan it's manageable. Even if we lose we still have a decent time. I'm looking forward to custom games so we can get regular FTSG clan only games rolling so we can all play together.

Warzone has many many issues. GG need to reduce the points given for kills. 100 for a kill, 150 for headshots/explosive kills is too much. When you get your score breakdown at the end of a round, your kills score shouldn't be 4x the rest of your points in a team based objective game.

Reduce points per kill to 50 and 75 for headshots/explosives. Bring back the bonus point areas around active objectives to help encourage people to play them. It was a brilliant idea in KZ2 that is sorely missing here.

Increase points for completing objectives and give some points to the entire team if successful in completing that objective. You already have this for Assassination, where survivor gets mad points and rest of team gets 100 for being bodyguards. Reward players for playing to the objectives. Ties in with the good old bonus points area idea you had in KZ2.

Capturing a TSP should net more points than 50, considering how they're as important as completing the objectives.

Basically, players should be earning more points by playing to the objectives of Warzone compared to the points they earn by killing other players. I think it would shift the game in the right direction and allow the mode to shine as it once did.

I'd like to talk about the maps, but Gravy has covered my issues in his post so there :D If they lost a few mappers from KZ2, it shows in KZ3.

First, I agree with everything you said.

Second, what I bolded - I KNEW that something was off when I wasn't getting any additional points for actually being the only person killing fools while I was defending the S&D objective (and everyone else running around the map).

They took that out too? Ugh.

Mush said:
Personally, yes.

Story was a mess, the ending was even worse. Gunplay is still there from KZ2 but some how it felt even more linear than it's predecessor, which I have no idea how they pulled that off. And don't even get me started on the MP.

I think it seems a bit more linear because the A.I is far less dynamic this time around. In KZ2 a tough section was made tougher by the fact that the enemy would modify its behaviour from one attempt to the next. In KZ3 there are many more static enemies, enemies that run straight at you or enemies that have a very limited range of movement and behaviours. In the few sections where I was dying repeatedly it just became a matter of watching what the enemy would do over and over again and countering that. This unfortunately took away a lot of what made KZ2 engaging.

Outside of that, the level design in KZ3 also seems much more narrow in most places, sections are short (before a cutscene) and the enemies almost always appear directly in front of you. There are only a few places in the game where you can do anything but push forward in a very tight corridor. Most of the narrow sections are also very scripted which (to me) breaks the immersion as it makes the strings so obvious. The open sections tend to put you into a relatively static position so that the game can emulate "light gun" game play for the benefit of Move users - which is strange given how well Move works in MP.

In the end GG should have just looked at MP (even the more linear Objectives mode) and designed the game and set pieces around that type of play style. Large arenas with dynamic objecitves then pushing forward through corridors with branching paths and less scripting would have opened the game up a lot (something like the end section of KZ2 at Visari's Hammer compared to the end section of the KZ3 demo area with the W.A.S.Ps). If they had toned the story down to the Band of Brothers type from KZ2 (fleshed out with the political backstory of KZ3) they could have crafted somehting that created a deeper sense of a desperate stuggle in a hostile environment.

Unfortunately, I don't think GG is capable of crafting a good story. The backstory in the KZ universe is engaging enough, but really it is just a reskin of WWII and the beginnings of the Cold War. Those are very powerful motifs though and working with them is fine, but looking at KZ2 and 3 it is obvious that GG has no idea what to actually do with that universe or how to create characters who seem alive in the struggles they are facing (or even comprehend why they are facing them). I also agree with a previous poster that it was stupid for GG to make Rico more endearing primarily by making Narville such a complete shit.

Konosuke

How is this ending possible GG? I had never experienced such a deep feeling of disappointment. It really leaves a bad taste after a great build up. Overall, I really liked the campaign and enjoyed the story, but that ending damn.

cnizzle06

Banned
Mush said:
How can you honestly tell me, that a random out of place "stealth" mission, where you hide in grass that is like bright yellow and with is no chance of sneaking by them, is fun? How about ramboing through a brown junkyard that's like a metre wide and 3 metres tall?

Don't forget to shoot the vents when they turn bright red!
Look up, where are you: you're in an icesaw speedracer vehicle, only you just died because you didn't mash R2 enough. Make sure you run over the repeated snow mound object because it shows you what the icesaw does.

Now press x to Jason
And square to nuke

Info on back of box: witness as sev and Rico struggle to convince the commander that he isn't being dudebro enough. Can you get him to connect with his inner dudebro in time?

Forsete

For once, Rico was useful (not doing what he does best, getting in my line of fire with his giant head)

Rico1_op.gif

I've only taken pictures of the first part of the game (actually, I recorded a video and then grabbed frames from there. Its difficult to get the action shots otherwise).

2.jpg

4.jpg

015.jpg

011.jpg

7.jpg

010.jpg

Close call. :p

I really should have removed the HUD

If this is the wrong place to post pics, let me know.

BeeDog

Beautiful. The pics show that object motion blur is still in; I would love a settings slider so we can adjust the strength of it ourselves (if possible).

The game looks glorious. Absolutely stunning. The campaign I'm also thoroughly enjoying. Keeping my entertained.

But am I missing something, is there no stats for single player? I'm sure there was for the 2nd game.

BeeDog

Katana_Strikes said:
The game looks glorious. Absolutely stunning. The campaign I'm also thoroughly enjoying. Keeping my entertained.

But am I missing something, is there no stats for single player? I'm sure there was for the 2nd game.

Yeah, it's a fucking bummer. The stuff I sorely miss are:

- Single-player stats.
- Finding the Helghan emblems and unlocking fun stuff/trivia.

robot

bobbytkc said:
crazy people.

anyway, finally finished the game. I LOVE the stealth section. Would love to see more of that

The stealth section I did had me wading through a super thin layer of grass, walking past half a dozen people and a giant robot. The whole time I was sneaking around it felt like I was totally noticeable. And a few instances where I missed a shot, everyone in the area knew exactly where I was, even if I was shooting from the shadows. It just didn't feel right to me.

Not to mention the guy in the beginning of the stealth level reminded me of the guy in the Medal of Honor so it kinda ruined it for me. Seemed like they were trying to replicate him or something.

-viper-

Banned
Forsete said:
For once, Rico was useful (not doing what he does best, getting in my line of fire with his giant head)

Rico1_op.gif

I've only taken pictures of the first part of the game (actually, I recorded a video and then grabbed frames from there. Its difficult to get the action shots otherwise).

http://balderino.se/bilder/KZ3/2.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://balderino.se/bilder/KZ3/4.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://balderino.se/bilder/KZ3/015.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://balderino.se/bilder/KZ3/011.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://balderino.se/bilder/KZ3/7.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://balderino.se/bilder/KZ3/010.jpg[/IMG
Close call. :P

If this is the wrong place to post pics, let me know.[/QUOTE]
holy motherfucking shit.

this looks like the greatest game ever (on consoles).

i want to buy it but i don't have any money D:

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
robot said:
The stealth section I did had me wading through a super thin layer of grass, walking past half a dozen people and a giant robot. The whole time I was sneaking around it felt like I was totally noticeable. And a few instances where I missed a shot, everyone in the area knew exactly where I was, even if I was shooting from the shadows. It just didn't feel right to me.

Not to mention the guy in the beginning of the stealth level reminded me of the guy in the Medal of Honor so it kinda ruined it for me. Seemed like they were trying to replicate him or something.

first of all, it is the future. Everybody has a comms set. I am surprised you did not notice this since you played the entire game.

also. I don't give a shit about realism. nothing about this game is realistic. if you are too cynical to have fun instead of obsessing over the colour and height of the grass, good for you.

for me, I just like popping caps with a silenced pistol from behind, and making those poisonous plants explode in front of guards. it also helps that the jungle is beautiful and exotic.

jaaz

I've played for about an hour so far using the move/sharpshooter and I still can't shake the feeling that I'm playing it wrong. I just can't get comfortable using this thing. It seems like I'm constantly fighting just to move and line up the reticule in the right direction before getting blown away. I'm playing veteran, so there's not too much room for error.

Those who have this combo, how's it going for you? I'm about to give up and go to the DS3.

robot

bobbytkc said:
first of all, it is the future. Everybody has a comms set. I am surprised you did not notice this since you played the entire game.

also. I don't give a shit about realism. nothing about this game is realistic. if you are too cynical to have fun instead of obsessing over the colour and height of the grass, good for you.

for me, I just like popping caps with a silenced pistol from behind, and making those poisonous plants explode in front of guards. it also helps that the jungle is beautiful and exotic.

I'm with you, I totally get the comms thing but it just seemed odd that every guy on the screen pointed their guns in the exact location I was standing. I would've liked for them to start hunting for me or something. Could've added to the intensity. Not MGS stupidity here, just a moment of tension after fumbling up a stealth kill.

For what it's worth I'm really enjoying the game, despite a few bugs I've come across. The weapons feel awesome, they have the perfect weight to them. I enjoyed the vehicle stuff so far too. Probably the best looking game I've played too.

The grass thing kinda bugged me but didn't cause me to stop playing. I moved through it, blew some shit up and was smiling again. But I can't be the only one that thinks the stealth parts could've used more work. And thicker grass.

The stealth mission was OK, but man I almost laughed out loud while sneaking through the grass. Just picturing these huge guys lumbering through that little "thicket" like two feet from a bunch of high-tech soldiers and not getting caught cracked me the fuck up.

JB1981

revolverjgw said:
The stealth mission was OK, but man I almost laughed out loud while sneaking through the grass. Just picturing these huge guys lumbering through that little "thicket" like two feet from a bunch of high-tech soldiers and not getting caught cracked me the fuck up.
The grass moves when u walk thru it at least lol

-viper-

Banned
So what is it with everyone claiming it takes far too many bullets to kill in Killzone 3?

When I played the beta it was absolutely easy to kill someone. Likewise with the KZ3 demo.

Have they altered player health values? How does the player health compare with Killzone 2 (which I thought it took far too many bullets to kill tbh, at least, in single player. It was fine in multiplayer though).

Mik2121

Forsete said:

http://balderino.se/bilder/Rico1_op.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://balderino.se/bilder/KZ3/2.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://balderino.se/bilder/KZ3/4.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://balderino.se/bilder/KZ3/015.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://balderino.se/bilder/KZ3/011.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://balderino.se/bilder/KZ3/7.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://balderino.se/bilder/KZ3/010.jpg[IMG]
Close call. :P

If this is the wrong place to post pics, let me know.[/QUOTE]
What setup are you using to take the pictures? And about how much did it cost you?

Also, in case it's something incredibly expensive.. could you, whenever you have some free time, take A LOT of screenshots from the Stahl level? I know this will sound weird but.. I'd love to get pics of stuff like the props on the tables, the fans on the walls, pipes, etc..

Again, if you got some free time and were thinking about taking screenshots from that level, anyway. Otherwise I'll go and rob a bank so I can purchase one of those stupidly expensive video capture devices.. :(

Advance warning: typing on iPhone so you might see weird words that autocorrect will force upon this post. Apologizing in advance!

This has by far been the best and worst single-player experience I've ever had. It's the best cause I finished the entire game in one sitting for I was enjoying shooting the shit and was waiting to see how shut turns out for Sev and crew. It was the worst cause it had a Deja Vu feeling, as if GG looked at the best selling shooters of this generation and decided to mash it all up in a bad pile of shit colored to looked pretty.

- Rico and Narville role reversal made me grind my teeth at how forceful it was. Did they seriously expected us to forget KZ2 existed? The forced disagreement between the two pissed me off and bad dialogues, bad delivery (I never care about delivery of voice-over, but this was PS1-era bad!), and bad chemistry ruined any emotional bond I developed for them in KZ2.

- "Fucking Convoy" guy turning Dudebro and later getting shot was fucking fantastic and heartbreaking until realizing that this entire sequence was ripped out of Modern Warfare. Even the fucking dialogue was ripped out of Modern Warfare.

- Stahl was the only great/interesting character of the game bit even he was ruined with the quickness of the story and the lack of any straight-forward objective or reasoning of Helghast made it all confusing.

- The vehicle sequences were "Hold Move button to win" and a waste of my fucking time. Ripped off straight from Halo and Modern Warfare, these sequences were made worse cause of the lack of control of the vehicles.

- Jetpack and Mech are the worst inclusion of the game. Bad mechanics simply kill the experience and being forced to use it is worst. Suddenly, you are forced to forget all your shooting skills and rely on a bad control scheme and suddenly insane enemies hiding above and under you in tight corridors, shooting you from all directions. What's that? You died? Well that's OK, we'll spawn you right before you died so you keep on dying again until you perfect the art of escaping a bad checkpoint.

- Gravity sequence made me pull my pubic hair since it saved the checkpoint while 6 troops and 6 Sentries were around me, with no medical aid on sight. I mastered the art if dodging bullets at that sequence, I really did. Speaking of medical aid...

- Fuck you Rico and Narville!! Of course you can get to me and revive me if you fucking try!!

- Halfway through the game, so many new weapons are introduced that Assault Rifle is forced to become your primary as the overarmored Helghast soldiers won't die with it. Nailgun, LMG, WASP and Bubblegum explosion gun had become my primary.

- The cutscenes and dialogues during the whole MAWLR sequence was laughable. The whole capturing the garbage machine made me laugh, the bad speech by Sev, the whole twist of Rico being alive, the whole buildup of rescuing Narville was a fuckup since they already reveled it in the beginning of the game, the messed-up timeline was bullshit and ruined the dialogue since I was constantly being reminded by Sev or Rico how "Six months ago" or "Six months later" they were.

- Press O to Nuke. What. The. Fuck! Genocide? They just disregarded everything they fucking did from KZ all the way to the last few seconds of KZ3. And where the fuck were the civilians in the game? Not one, NOT ONE helgab civilian was shown, walking around minding his own fucking business. NOT ONE! This cheapened the ending and any emotional feeling you could develop for Helgans, which was so highly promised in Visari's speech at the end of KZ2. Madness? The only one who I saw came remotely close to Madness was Stahl, and even he had different and unclear motives.

- Bad scripted sequences ruined it for me. U saw enemies popping in from the sky left and right, and I saw NPC die even after reloading the sequence a dozen times trying my best to shoot that one hig with everything I got... No, he would still walk over an use flamethrowera on the 2 NPC and burn them.

I had many more issues but it's 9:45am and I'm shit tired.

All in all, a bad game with great environment that might not work for a shooter, and fun gunplay.

Forsete

Mik2121 said:
What setup are you using to take the pictures? And about how much did it cost you?

Also, in case it's something incredibly expensive.. could you, whenever you have some free time, take A LOT of screenshots from the Stahl level? I know this will sound weird but.. I'd love to get pics of stuff like the props on the tables, the fans on the walls, pipes, etc..

Again, if you got some free time and were thinking about taking screenshots from that level, anyway. Otherwise I'll go and rob a bank so I can purchase one of those stupidly expensive video capture devices.. :(

I'm using a BMD Intensity Pro PCI-Express capture card
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Its only 199 now, it was 299 when I got it (even more since I live in Sweden, boo!).
PS3 is hooked up via component cables (IIRC, unless something has changed during a firmware update of the capture card, PS3s HDMI output is not supported)

I'll see what I can do in terms of screens. I completed the game in coop so all levels are unlocked there, but so far I'm only on the 2nd-3rd levels in the SP playing-by-myself campaign.

The ending reminds of the ending in White Knight Chronicles. Did they run out of money or got bored and said "fuck it, let's wrap it up."? I must say this was really not what I was expecting from a game like Killzone. I did enjoy most of the game but I can't help but feel cheated somehow. :/

Dibbz

shagg_187 said:
- "Fucking Convoy" guy turning Dudebro and later getting shot was fucking fantastic and heartbreaking until realizing that this entire sequence was ripped out of Modern Warfare. Even the fucking dialogue was ripped out of Modern Warfare.
What? Did I miss that part or something?
Natko wasn't in the game was he?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
-viper- said:
So what is it with everyone claiming it takes far too many bullets to kill in Killzone 3?

When I played the beta it was absolutely easy to kill someone. Likewise with the KZ3 demo.

Have they altered player health values? How does the player health compare with Killzone 2 (which I thought it took far too many bullets to kill tbh, at least, in single player. It was fine in multiplayer though).

During and after beta, there was a lot of complaints about too little health and many people wanted health levels raised. Now, some say too little. No one is ever happy.

BeeDog

While playing some co-op with a friend the other day, I was honestly pretty amazed how well the graphics held up in split screen. Obviously it didn't perform quite as well as when you play alone, but there were no major FPS annoyances (we played until we finished the mech section). Still, big fucking bummer that there's no online co-op.

patsu

robot said:
I'm with you, I totally get the comms thing but it just seemed odd that every guy on the screen pointed their guns in the exact location I was standing. I would've liked for them to start hunting for me or something. Could've added to the intensity. Not MGS stupidity here, just a moment of tension after fumbling up a stealth kill.

What difficulty did you play ?

In my own game, the Helghasts spotted me once ("What's that !?", followed by some movement). I retreated back under a cave and they radioed back to report that it's a false alarm shortly after. Reminded me of MGS.

Second time I missed a shot, and they came after my ass. Not all of them fired at me. I lost visual for one of them. In the end, my teammate got 1 and I killed 2, including a hunter.

I was finally busted by one guy on high ground when he patrolled to another location.

patsu

I played as Trooper and thought the enemies had just about the right health. Some had slightly longer health bar but they didn't cause much trouble at all.

But they tend to hide rather well this time. I could menuevere and outflank them usually. The battles would draw out if I can't get close or high enough. They ran away from my grenade and typically has high ground fire to cover their team. So it's a little troublesome to flush them.

I was ambushed/surprised 3-4 times. Twice from Helghasts who stayed quiet until I moved out of cover and passed them. Twice from charging Helghast while I reload. Melee'd me but I recovered in time.

The teammate AI works really well this time. I usually stray away/ahead of them so that I can get more kills.

EDIT: I'm a little surprised people find the health bar too short. Did you play the game like Rambo ? I played it tactically, somewhat like a cover shooter but sometimes I took risk and ran to enemies' cover so I can flank 'em. ^_^

It's risky especially if there are enemies on high ground, but I usually take them out first.

patsu said:
What difficulty did you play ?

In my own game, the Helghasts spotted me once ("What's that !?", followed by some movement). I retreated back under a cave and they radioed back to report that it's a false alarm shortly after. Reminded me of MGS.

Second time I missed a shot, and they came after my ass. Not all of them fired at me. I lost visual for one of them. In the end, my teammate got 1 and I killed 2, including a hunter.

I was finally busted by one guy on high ground when he patrolled to another location.

On Veteran, I missed a shot from hiding and retreated to somewhere out of view. A hunter immediately came in and bee-lined directly for me. Easily the worst example of "stealth" I have experienced in a while.

JB1981

I have little love for the MP but I gotta say I am enjoying the SP a lot. So far I'd say it is definitely an improvement on KZ2. I don't get the complaints about it being a "corridor shooter", most of the engagements are in open rooms with a lot of cover and a lot of different angles and vantage points to engage the enemy. The cover mechanics are more fluid, brutal melee makes effective flanking a lot more satisfying and the
Petrucite gun
is the best KZ gun ever.

I have found the AI to be an adequate challenge as well. The Hig's s take cover, they throw grenades to drive you out of a good cover position and Rico actually deals out some damage when he needs to. I feel that some of you may be looking on the KZ2 campaign with rose-tinted glasses. My first playthrough is on Veteran so maybe the majority of the complaints are coming from people who played the game on Normal?

patsu

May be the problem is Veteran balancing.

A hunter jumped down in front of me when I missed someone's head. They could have spotted me from different locations.

Not all of them came at me, or always knew where I was.

BeeDog

JB1981 said:
I have little love for the MP but I gotta say I am enjoying the SP a lot. So far I'd say it is definitely an improvement on KZ2. I don't get the complaints about it being a "corridor shooter", most of the engagements are in open rooms with a lot of cover and a lot of different angles and vantage points to engage the enemy. The cover mechanics are more fluid, brutal melee makes effective flanking a lot more satisfying and the
Petrucite gun
is the best KZ gun ever.

I agree, the Arc Cannon is such a ridiculously fun weapon to use. Though I'm a bit bummed you can't use the lighting gun anymore; they simply should've allowed weapon pickups from those enemies.

Top Bottom