• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Finished the campaign.

I think I prefered Killzone 2 overall; however the last three missions of Killzone 3 were insanely good. It almost seems as though Guerilla Games put all their effort into the chapter before the last - the firefight that takes place around the
MAWRL
. In my opinion this mission is one of the best I have ever played in any FPS period. It just built and built to such incredible heights, you really had to be tactical, flank, take cover and then the
on the rails segment where you finally took the beast down
closing the stage was simply breathtaking.

I also thought the last stage
in space with the anti-grav areas
was really cool and although the end was abrupt and lazy, it did at the very least leave me yearning for a PS3 update of Colony Wars. Oh and the graphics - just incredible.

I really wasn't a fan of the first half of this game but the second half (from the demo stage onwards) redeemed the entire game.

Prefered the controls this time round. Soundtrack wasn't as memorable but still pretty great. I thought the story was OK, not terrible like some said. Cut scene direction was hit and miss and didn't transition all that well into gameplay.

The game was also a little difficult in parts, not in a good way, it felt kind of cheap. Especially the very last bit of gameplay -
I never want to see another rocket again!!!
Also the enemies seemed even more bullet spongey this time, and it just added to the annoyance when I would die in two shots.

One last thing I actually think the campaign was a good length. It felt like you had been taken on a journey and you had done what you set out to do. It would have dragged and diluted if it had been any longer.

JB1981

BeeDog said:
I agree, the Arc Cannon is such a ridiculously fun weapon to use. Though I'm a bit bummed you can't use the lighting gun anymore; they simply should've allowed weapon pickups from those enemies.

Is it not called the
Petrucite gun
HAHAHAHAHAH

patsu

I like the mini-gun better. The arc cannon charges and fires a little too slow for my taste. I could prewarm the mini gun easily and wipe everything on-screen with it.

I can't decide which level I like best yet.
The entire MAWLR segment is memorable. Loved how it's very difficult to destroy. I also like the junkyard tower sniping one. The jungle level is interesting too. The weightless fight was rather difficult for me because I strayed too far ahead of my crew, and was low on ammo. Didn't get to try lobing a grenade without gravity.

X-Frame

Is it possible to actually get sick of KZ3 already?

Because I feel like I am. Or maybe it's because I'm thrown into a map I played for the past 2 years 75% of the time ..

BeeDog

patsu said:
I like the mini-gun better. The arc cannon charges and fires a little too slow for my taste. I could prewarm the mini gun easily and wipe everything on-screen with it.

You don't have to charge the Arc Cannon to get fun results. Just tap the Fire button two times and it will annihilate pretty much any enemy.

fernoca

-Pyromaniac- said:
I never put in the pre-order code for the retro maps lol, so I never get any old maps.
Keep in mind that the codes expire around April. You can also put the code, just don't download the maps. :p

patsu

BeeDog said:
You don't have to charge the Arc Cannon to get fun results. Just tap the Fire button two times and it will annihilate pretty much any enemy.

Ah ! Got to try that in my Move run.

BeeDog said:

Hehe yeah I cleared out the entire lab level by using the double tap tactic with the Arc. Then I'd just run over to an ammo box and restock. Rinse and repeat.

Such a badass weapon.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Got it today.

Didn't finish KZ2 though lol, i had formated my Ps3 some time ago....had to check the story on wiki and youtube.

Lol rico

fernoca

-Pyromaniac- said:
I didn't realize they expire! Thanks.
Well, at least the Gamestop ones does. Guess the time is 2 months from when you got it. Mine says 4/22/11 and I picked the game 2/22/11. Don't know if other stores put expiration dates on theirs, but is better just to be safe to just use the code and don't download the maps in that case, though the linked bonus (XP, points, 24 hours) are activated that moment.

acevans2 said:
Where is the suggested Move settings for the bounding box, etc? I figured they'd be in the OP.
It varies from person to person, setup to setup. There are no universal settings, though some people have had more luck with settings posted by other users.

In my case, mine are the default ones and rumble on, other changed everything to 0 and rumble off.

Just remember when calibrating the Move, to not raise your arms, just point at the camera and TV from were and how you'll be playing. So if you'll be playing with your arms resting on your legs, then calibrate the Move like that too. Also don't calibrate like that and then end playing laying down in your bed. (you'll need to calibrate again..in bed :p)

WrikaWrek said:
Got it today.

Didn't finish KZ2 though lol, i had formated my Ps3 some time ago....had to check the story on wiki and youtube.

Lol rico
Yeah, I never finished 2 and I don't feel like I'm that lost. If anything, I'm loving the "new things" that were apparently in 2 also, but I never got to try (like the mechs :p).

//B1G

Banned
I never even installed the retro map pack and I've gotten put on Salamun Market before, so maybe you guys are all just idiots for installing that. I've got the package sitting on my XMB, but I'm not going to open it until I know this problem is fixed.

patsu

I have a bad feeling Rico has been kidnapped by aliens, or possessed by some thing. The KZ3 Rico is not the same person. XD

noire said:
Guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm just not able to enjoy the game. My biggest issues are the dodgy cover system and that the cutscenes are breaking the flow of the game.

Other issues: enemies are bullet sponges but kill me with a couple rounds, if cover worked for me like it does for them, it probably wouldn't be an issue. Game could use a little more aim assist. Audio mix has been wonky for me.

My biggest issue with the game.

pixelbox

X-Frame said:
Is it possible to actually get sick of KZ3 already?

Because I feel like I am. Or maybe it's because I'm thrown into a map I played for the past 2 years 75% of the time ..
Yep, the same thing happened to me. lol The only way to fix it is to delete the patch, which has the maps in it. I know GG said to set the map selection to a non-DLC but that doesn't work. All and all my impression for this game is around an 8. Story was rushed to death of you've played the previous KZ's, the firefights, while good, are not up to snuff with KZ2's. I feel as though to levels don't do the A.I. justice due to their narrow natures.

I've been skimming though this thread and wow@vets of the series or gaf. Yes, the game was rushed but it is not a terrible game by any means. You guys refuse to accept that this is a different game from KZ2 and go into this hissy fit because it's not a clone of KZ2. A game which was shitted on for being so poorly done. Shit had to be done to make more people like the game, get over it. If KZ3 played like KZ2 then the media would have destroyed it, claiming it was a KZ2.5 and that would of lead more people away from the series. Sure GAF would of been happy but it would of been the last Killzone you would have ever played.

How about trying to play the game off it's own merrits? Then you'll see it's not acturally bad.

pixelbox

//B1G said:
I never even installed the retro map pack and I've gotten put on Salamun Market before, so maybe you guys are all just idiots for installing that. I've got the package sitting on my XMB, but I'm not going to open it until I know this problem is fixed.
Yeah, that's the best way. It also removes most freezing problems, and i've never had any problems with audio syncing issues btw.

pixelbox said:
Yep, the same thing happened to me. lol The only way to fix it is to delete the patch, which has the maps in it. I know GG said to set the map selection to a non-DLC but that doesn't work. All and all my impression for this game is around an 8. Story was rushed to death of you've played the previous KZ's, the firefights, while good, are not up to snuff with KZ2's. I feel as though to levels don't do the A.I. justice due to their narrow natures.

I've been skimming though this thread and wow@vets of the series or gaf. Yes, the game was rushed but it is not a terrible game by any means. You guys refuse to accept that this is a different game from KZ2 and go into this hissy fit because it's not a clone of KZ2. A game which was shitted on for being so poorly done. Shit had to be done to make more people like the game, get over it. If KZ3 played like KZ2 then the media would have destroyed it, claiming it was a KZ2.5 and that would of lead more people away from the series. Sure GAF would of been happy but it would of been the last Killzone you would have ever played.

How about trying to play the game off it's own merrits? Then you'll see it's not acturally bad.

The media actually really liked KZ2. Even got shooter of the year from some publications, beating MW2. Why the hell would they pissed off about a sequel that still had all the elements they liked from KZ2?

noire said:
Other issues: enemies are bullet sponges but kill me with a couple rounds, if cover worked for me like it does for them, it probably wouldn't be an issue.

This is false. During all the game, I've been able to defeat any soldier with a bullet, or very small burst, in the head. Except bosses and those ninja enemies.

I think it's simply that the machineguns (specially the one of the jetpack) don't do localized damage.

My big issue is that they can hide perfectly behind any cover, but in the lower ones my head is exposed.

TacticalFox88 said:
Ugh, I think this game has more problems than Black Ops does. Ugh. Fuck the multiplayer in this game.
What are some of the problems you have? Maybe some are being addressed in the upcoming huge patch.

noire said:
Yeah, headshots are possible but rare. Anywhere else takes a clip.

Well, you know, it helps aiming with the zoom of the weapon. The problem is that the practical infinite ammo (because of the crates), encourage the non-zoomed shooting and using the big machineguns holding the finger over R1 button. But if you use your default ISA weapon using the zoom, headshots are not rare, are the usual.

I don't think I've had many issues at all playing online (mostly warzone). Single player I think my only notable gripe was the enemies being bullet sponges unless you get an exact shot in the head.

JB1981

I hope they address matchmaking for large parties. Right now it doesn't work at all. Our GAF group (clan or whatever) spends a good majority of our time backing out of games because it's us 8 versus one dude or two or three. It's terrible.

Brannon

I wonder what would happen if you didn't press the circle button during that one part, but instead kept defending yourself.

Time to test this out.

angelfly

I wish they would patch in the ability to fire while jumping.
The zero-gravity area at the end would have been soooo much better were I able to jump up and take people out in mid air

fernoca

Maybe is a "perk" of playing with Move, but I usually kill enemies with 1 headshot (the "stealth jungle" was so awesome because of this) or a few bullets. I even killed the "spider robot thingies" at the end of the "jungle level", by being on cover and shooting with the regular/silencer gun directly on to the center. A few times..and boom! :p

Online has been the same, which surprised me since I usually suck. Yet from the 5 games I played, I ended 3 matches with the "most headshots" title.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Is there any GAF consensus on the Move controls yet? Does it work as well as MAG? Did they screw something up?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
fernoca said:
maybe is a "perk" of playing with Move, but I usually kill enemies with 1 headshot (the "stealth jungle" was so awesome because of this) or a few bullets. I even killed the "spider robot thingies" at the end of the "jungle level", by beign on cover and shooting with the regular/silencer gun directly on to the center. A few times..and boom! :p

Online has been the same, which surprised me since I usually suck. Yet from the 5 games I played, I ended 3 matches with the "most headshots" title.

Not sure if this might be the case (I haven't touched the DS3) but perhaps the vertical cursor shake caused by vibration increases the chances of a headshot when shooting at the torso.

AEREC

Kaijima said:
Is there any GAF consensus on the Move controls yet? Does it work as well as MAG? Did they screw something up?

I think the general consensus is that Move is implemented better in KZ3 than mag...both will take some getting used to but Move in Killzone 3 feels a lot better to me.

pixelbox

H_Prestige said:
The media actually really liked KZ2. Even got shooter of the year from some publications, beating MW2. Why the hell would they pissed off about a sequel that still had all the elements they liked from KZ2?
Look what happened to LBP2. A much better game, and it was reviewed like a rehash. Now, move that theory into the FPS space.

fernoca

Kaijima said:
For me, it actually controls better than MAG. I don't know. Feel more natural in Killzone 3, the default controller setup; while in MAG I was sometimes lost, as if the layout was all over the place.

Killzone 3 controls more like..Wii games, on which reloading and melee attacks are handled by motions too; while the same things in MAG were handled by button presses (at least with the default setup) which adds to my "all over the place" comment. (though some people have experienced problems of losing viewpoint/camera when performing meleee attacks)

TTP said:
Not sure if this might be the case (I haven't touched the DS3) but perhaps the vertical cursor shake caused by vibration increases the chances of a headshot when shooting at the torso.
Probably. Might have to turn off rumble to experiment, though after finishing the game; don't want to realize that I suck ..still. :p

Appollowexx said:
I really wasn't a fan of the first half of this game but the second half (from the demo stage onwards) redeemed the entire game.
That's great to hear. I'm almost half way, but haven't played since.. beacause i was a bit dissapointed with how easy (on veteran) and forgettable it was.

Zoibie

fernoca said:
For me, it actually controls better than MAG. I don't know. Feel more natural in Killzone 3, the default controller setup; while in MAG I was sometimes lost, as if the layout was all over the place.

Killzone 3 controls more like..Wii games, on which reloading and melee attacks are handled by motions too; while the same things in MAG were handled by button presses (at least with the default setup) which adds to my "all over the place" comment. (though some people have experienced problems of losing viewpoint/camera when performing meleee attacks)

Probably. Might have to turn off rumble to experiment, though after finishing the game. :p

Happens with me when trying to reload too, but I haven't messed around with the setting yet so I'll see later.

oneHeero

Kaijima said:
They are great imo. I went 39-20 with the Sharpshooter yesterday. Its highly effective. Easy to get kill shots, EASY to pick ppl off from afar.

I'll post my settingsand TTPs from the beta that I had bookmarked.

TTPs
Deadzone Width: 0%
Deadzone Height: 30%
Cursor Sensitivity: 40%
Turn Speed: 70%
Assist: None
Aim: Hold
Crouch: Hold

I have
20-30%
20-30%
40%
60%
None
Hold
Hold

FYI: Regarding the wild camera when reloading/melee. I use the pump reload option. I never go wild, its very easy to use it and doesnt require u to move your whole body.

For the love of baby kittens and newborn babies, use common sense. Wherever you point the move, the camera will move. So if you reload and decide to hoist your weapon upwards while you do it, what makes you think the camera wont be all wild?

You can also reload via the face button.
The only problem I have is meleeing, I can never achieve it and end up dying :\ Cant wait til thats on a face button, although I assume I havent been trying good enough

fernoca

Zoibie said:
Happens with me when trying to reload too, but I haven't messed around with the setting yet so I'll see later.
Yeah. he first time I did a melee, the camera went crazy. :p
Then I decided to do quick, short motions to the front (since picture is kinda misleading, as if you had to perform the motion, diagonally) and..never had more problems with it.

noire said:
Guess I'm in the minority here, but I'm just not able to enjoy the game. My biggest issues are the dodgy cover system and that the cutscenes are breaking the flow of the game.

Other issues: enemies are bullet sponges but kill me with a couple rounds, if cover worked for me like it does for them, it probably wouldn't be an issue. Game could use a little more aim assist. Audio mix has been wonky for me.
I just don't get the cover system, when the only thing it does is to block part of your view and enemies are able to hit you without problems. Hellghast go into cover, shoot over their heads, from the ground etc.

You just feel handicapped.

noire said:

Make sure for SP, crouch is set to "HOLD", cover system is near flawless for me with that setting. When set to toggle, I was very frustrated by it.

I also like the amount of bullets it takes to kill people, it makes fighting just 2 enemies intense and challenging. But you are rewarded for headshots so skill plays a big part. How many bullets does it take to kill an enemy, 5 or so? That seems fair to me.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Kaijima said:
As someone who's played KZ3 and MAG with Move controls for about 10+ hours each, I'd say KZ3 received far more attention. TTP made a superb video which demonstrates the mechanics they used to improve simple things like rotation, where MAG's design came across as a bit bare-bones. Guerilla Game's made the right calls on which actions should be gesture-based (reloads and melees) and it compares favourably with Retro's efforts in Metroid Prime 3. I'm sure it'll be used as the standard that other Sony devs will work from.

It's important to get the settings right though, as the default values leave far too much dead-zone space which makes it a chore to turn the POV. The general consensus seems to be that Horizontal Deadzone should be kept to 0%, and that turning off vibration in the Move controller (via the PS3's controller menu) greatly benefits from the reduction in physical recoil. Here are my settings again:

Deadzone Width: 0%
Deadzone Height: 0% (can be bumped up to 30%, but I'm used to a square DZ box)
Cursor Sensitivity: 0%
Turn Speed: 70%
Assist: None
Aim: Hold
Crouch: Toggle

Vibration: Off (PS3 menu).

Hope that helps!

patsu

noire said:

noire said:
Yeah, headshots are possible but rare. Anywhere else takes a clip. This is not helped by a system where ADS sometimes puts me way off target or explosions/mech footsteps make aiming really difficult.

Another of my issues: I'm shooting enemies and go into 'second chance', when revived, I am now facing away from the enemies.

In SP mode ? Has it happened that way to you ? In my own game, Rico and company will always/usually kill or drive away the enemies around you first before they revive you. If the enemies are too powerful, they won't try to revive me. I would face the enemies the same direction I fell.

What game difficulty are you playing as ? In Trooper, enemies are definitely not bullet sponges. It also depends on your weapon. The ISA assault rifle seems more effective than the Helghast one. Sniper rifle is one/two shot as usual. The jetpack machine-gun is weaker but you have height advantage and unlimited ammo.

It took way more than a few bullets to kill me too. I ran out in the open sometimes to try to get to enemy covers. Sometimes if I took too many hits, I may abort and run back. If there are enemy snipers or flamethrowers around, they could take me out in 2-3 shots though when I'm not careful.

EDIT: The nail gun is _always_ one-shot against bots but the other guns take more.

Top Bottom