• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

nib95

Banned
Great shots G rom. Compression wise some of the best captures I've seen. I would say your shots do suffer from a fair bit of black crush though. Do you have RGB Full on unnecessarily or something? Not sure, but if the black level was toned down just a smidgen, you'd get a lot more detail showing through, though the contrast and colouring seems very good.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dan said:
No, no, not check them out. I'm just straight up wondering if by the time you reach level 45 or whatever you'll have enough unlock points to get everything, or do you really have to figure out which classes you care about and commit. There's obviously some I'm more inclined to upgrade than others, but I'd like to know if ultimately I can have them all completely unlocked.

Oh, well, unlocking gets slower as you rank up but of course you can unlock all of them eventually.

I'd suggest to focus on the class you like the most. Play and upgrade it to the max, then keep playing with it until you have like 8 or 10 unlock points to spend on another one when you are ready to switch so you can start with the new class with most of its "features" available. And so on...

I have no idea about when you'll eventually have all the unlock points to unlock everything.

G Rom

nib95 said:
Great shots G rom. Compression wise some of the best captures I've seen. I would say your shots do suffer from a fair bit of black crush though. Do you have RGB Full on unnecessarily or something? Not sure, but if the black level was toned down just a smidgen, you'd get a lot more detail showing through, though the contrast and colouring seems very good.

Nope, I don't have RGB Full activated and I haven't altered the screens in any way. That's exactly what the game outputs (minus the reds bleeding) as I grabbed those screens straight from digital footage captured earlier today. :)

I think, I'll also look into MP maps tomorrow.

no angel

Just finished the singleplayer on normal, this is my first killzone so tell me, is the plot exposition this bad on all of them? Im thinking not as the game did a pretty good job of explaining what had happened in the previous games but this just makes me wonder all the more why I was occasionally scratching my head in this one. Example: one minute I'm
Busting my captain out of stahl's stronghold
then all of a sudden I'm
Driving something called an 'ice axe' I think. No idea why. Didn't even see me get into it.
is this normal or did a butterfly flap it's wings in Australia which made me accidentally hit a button and skip a cutscene?
Also I found halo 2's ending to be more fulfilling and satisfying than killzone 3's. I didn't follow the game's development, was it rushed out?

Graphically the game is astounding and I'm enjoying the multiplayer a hell of alot (although the marksman class seems overpowered). Wish I could play it with a 360 pad though, I hate the ds2 sticks for shooters and I'm sure it would improve my performance (probably not, but its a good excuse for my shit kd ratio!)

nib95

Banned
G Rom said:
Nope, I don't have RGB Full activated and I haven't altered the screens in any way. That's exactly what the game outputs (minus the reds bleeding) as I grabbed those screens straight from digital footage captured earlier today. :)

I think, I'll also look into MP maps tomorrow.

Hmm...might be your capture settings. But I have a professionally calibrated Kuro plasma and it doesn't show as much black crush as your captures, which by the way, still look fantastic.

But just an example to illustrate the difference.

027.jpg

5483628866_ca0df8daf1_o.jpg

Gives the exact same effect as when you switch RGB Full on in the PS3 menu. Does your capture card have a similar RGB mode option?

Xater

no angel said:
Just finished the singleplayer on normal, this is my first killzone so tell me, is the plot exposition this bad on all of them? Im thinking not as the game did a pretty good job of explaining what had happened in the previous games but this just makes me wonder all the more why I was occasionally scratching my head in this one. Example: one minute I'm
then all of a sudden I'm
Driving something called an 'ice axe' I think. No idea why. Didn't even see me get into it.
is this normal or did a butterfly flap it's wings in Australia which made me accidentally hit a button and skip a cutscene?
Also I found halo 2's ending to be more fulfilling and satisfying than killzone 3's. I didn't follow the game's development, was it rushed out?

Graphically the game is astounding and I'm enjoying the multiplayer a hell of alot (although the marksman class seems overpowered). Wish I could play it with a 360 pad though, I hate the ds2 sticks for shooters and I'm sure it would improve my performance (probably not, but its a good excuse for my shit kd ratio!)

I agree that the break after that cutscene was a bit jarring, but you see Sev and Rico running off supposedly getting that thing.

Grisby

no angel said:
then all of a sudden I'm

The point you bring up about the saw car is something a lot of people noticed. They just didn't transition the scene very well. Rico and Sev mention something about getting out, I think, but then they just leave the scene.

There was actually a pretty interesting team dynamic in the original Killzone and was far more interesting than any of the others. In the sequel Guerrilla flip flopped the invasion idea of the original and presented an interesting setup, but it was filled to the brim with dude bro expletives that never came off very intelligently. For 3, I felt like they wrote themselves into a hole and didn't know what to do. They didn't even get the tone down specifically of what they wanted, that being, a ragged group cut off and helpless.

The psp game, Liberation, has an entertaining story as well for a handheld.

Dibbz

GG need to hire a better writer. The ISA forces in KZ3 were meant to be helpless
but somehow they end up fucking destroying the entire planet

There were too many abrupt cuts, like people are saying, from what was going on in levels to what was in the cutscenes. In the level where you get
Narville from prison and get him outside he gets picked up by the ISA guys and you magically end up on a snow axe car thing. After that you see Narville with like every other ISA guy with tanks and jeeps and shit further ahead of Sev and Rico. How the hell did they regroup and organise themselves that fast, and how did they end up so far ahead of Rico and Sev when it's clear they were all walking whilst Sev and Rico were flying down a fucking mountain and light speed.

That's just one of the many weirdly written parts of the game. It's as if the cutscenes were made by a different development studio that had no idea what was happening in the level.

Oh and Why did they not use that menu music (the violin one) at all in the game. That track actually made you feel like you were out numbered but instead we get that same old shitty star wars esque trumpet blowing shit.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dibbz said:
Oh and Why did they not use that menu music (the violin one) at all in the game. That track actually made you feel like you were out numbered but instead we get that same old shitty star wars esque trumpet blowing shit.

That would have been perfect
in the siege part at the end of the jungle chapter...

no angel

Grisby said:
The point you bring up about the saw car is something a lot of people noticed. They just didn't transition the scene very well. Rico and Sev mention something about getting out, I think, but then they just leave the scene.

There was actually a pretty interesting team dynamic in the original Killzone and was far more interesting than any of the others. In the sequel Guerrilla flip flopped the invasion idea of the original and presented an interesting setup, but it was filled to the brim with dude bro expletives that never came off very intelligently. For 3, I felt like they wrote themselves into a hole and didn't know what to do. They didn't even get the tone down specifically of what they wanted, that being, a ragged group cut off and helpless.

The psp game, Liberation, has an entertaining story as well for a handheld.
I followed the development of the original killzone really closely via Edge, I remember being really taken with the art style. Unfortunately I'd sold all my stuff and quit gaming before it was released so I never got round to playing it. I played about 3 hours of killzone 2 but it failed to hold my attention, and for all my complaints about 3's story I was gripped 'til the very end so it definately did something right. It just seemed to lack a little polish in some places, like being unable to move whilst reloading in cover or change weapons or iron sight whilst mid jump.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
no angel said:
It just seemed to lack a little polish in some places, like being unable to move whilst reloading in cover or change weapons or iron sight whilst mid jump.

Let's hope GG doesn't fix this.

Dibbz

TTP said:
That would have been perfect
in the siege part at the end of the jungle chapter...
Yeah that's a good example. Although I enjoyed that part a lot even without it. In fact that's probably one of the best parts of the game.

I just wish that they would move away from the typical sci fi shitty music that they have. It has no build up, no emotion and it does nothing for the cutscenes.

Outside of the ice axe, the abrupt ending, the story telling was fine for the most part, it wasn't a complex story or something that needed much more meat, if anything there was more than needed amount of cutscenes for the type of story being told. Though frankly it was still better than the minimalist approach of KZ2, I would have liked something along the lines of KZ1 which I still think had the best approach to story telling of the franchise.

The whole rescue/ice axe sequence seemed like a mess. Did anyone else notice how randomly in cutscenes the main characters outfits changed? They are wearing Helghast snow uniforms one minute, then their ISA uniforms in another cutscene, then back to Helghast in game and cutscenes. That whole middle portion seemed to be rushed or something and the whole bad transition everyone keeps mentioning seems to prove it.

BattleMonkey said:
Outside of the ice axe, the abrupt ending, the story telling was fine for the most part, it wasn't a complex story or something that needed much more meat, if anything there was more than needed amount of cutscenes for the type of story being told. Though frankly it was still better than the minimalist approach of KZ2, I would have liked something along the lines of KZ1 which I still think had the best approach to story telling of the franchise.

The whole rescue/ice axe sequence seemed like a mess. Did anyone else notice how randomly in cutscenes the main characters outfits changed? They are wearing Helghast snow uniforms one minute, then their ISA uniforms in another cutscene, then back to Helghast in game and cutscenes. That whole middle portion seemed to be rushed or something and the whole bad transition everyone keeps mentioning seems to prove it.

I think there was a need for better communication between the cutscene team and the guys putting together the campaign. It felt sort of like the cut scene guys were given the script and never actually saw any of the game footage, just handed in their work to shoehorn into the game before it went gold.

Dibbz

It's not only the
ice axe car thing. What about the start where sev and narville are flying to the ISA cruiser whilst everything is blowing up around them, then moments later you're in the jungle and the guy who was in charge of the ISA cruiser there with you. Why was there no explanation to how they ran away to the jungle or even how the ISA cruiser pilot guy got out.

They just kind of expect you to piece it all together but it's rubbish and feels like they were rushed and could even add on a few more minutes worth of cutscene footage to link stuff together.

Kinda like in KZ2 where you get a loading screen tell you
Garza
died :|

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dibbz said:
It's not only the
ice axe car thing. What about the start where sev and narville are flying to the ISA cruiser whilst everything is blowing up around them, then moments later you're in the jungle and the guy who was in charge of the ISA cruiser there with you. Why was there no explanation to how they ran away to the jungle or even how the ISA cruiser pilot guy got out.

Besides, I still don't get how the ISA can sit on top of a flying Intruder like that. Without belts or anything. How come they don't fall down is beyond me :D

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
TTP said:
Oh, well, unlocking gets slower as you rank up but of course you can unlock all of them eventually.

I'd suggest to focus on the class you like the most. Play and upgrade it to the max, then keep playing with it until you have like 8 or 10 unlock points to spend on another one when you are ready to switch so you can start with the new class with most of its "features" available. And so on...

I have no idea about when you'll eventually have all the unlock points to unlock everything.
Great, thanks man.

Dibbz

TTP said:
Besides, I still don't get how the ISA can sit on top of a flying Intruder like that. Without belts or anything. How come they don't fall down is beyond me :D
It's meant to show how ill equipped the ISA are with their home made guns and transport I guess.

cgcg

nib95 said:
Hmm...might be your capture settings. But I have a professionally calibrated Kuro plasma and it doesn't show as much black crush as your captures, which by the way, still look fantastic.

But just an example to illustrate the difference.

027.jpg

5483628866_ca0df8daf1_o.jpg

Gives the exact same effect as when you switch RGB Full on in the PS3 menu. Does your capture card have a similar RGB mode option?

To some crush black equals superior graphics ;) It's like an instant superior version!

Honestly though I would turn up the in-game brightness a few notches. The default setting has too much contrast.

Dibbz said:
It's not only the

Eh, found it to be pretty straight forward what happened and snippets of dialogue throughout afterwards pretty much paint a picture of what is going on. We don't need detailed explanations for everything that happens or background characters who serve very little purpose at all to the story.

CozMick

Banned
Did anyone else experience crazy assed slowdown at the end of the
stealth mission in the jungle, when protecting Narville at the beginning of the game
?

It only lasted a few seconds but thought my PS3 was gonna die.

BeeDog

CozMick said:
Did anyone else experience crazy assed slowdown at the end of the
stealth mission in the jungle, when protecting Narville at the beginning of the game
?

It only lasted a few seconds but thought my PS3 was gonna die.

When the big battle started, some slowdown occurred, but nothing that made me think my PS3 would melt.

woolley

Massa said:
I remember some people saying you can't vote on the next map... you most certainly can.
If your playing on the retro maps your stuck on that map. There's no way for you to vote for a different map when the game is over.

Grisby

Massa said:
I remember some people saying you can't vote on the next map... you most certainly can.

I don't believe you can if you get hit with the retro map pack glitch. At least, I couldn't when the maps were the blood and market places.

Dibbz

BattleMonkey said:
Eh, found it to be pretty straight forward what happened and snippets of dialogue throughout afterwards pretty much paint a picture of what is going on. We don't need detailed explanations for everything that happens or background characters who serve very little purpose at all to the story.
The problem is it's anti-climactic. The mission is
to get off the planet and when you are almost there they just cut and boom you're in a jungle. They build it all up at the start, you're running around helping people get to this one point and then they don't even bother to show you what actually happens.

How do we know how they got to the jungle? Why wasn't that a mission? You fight all the way to the extraction point from the steps of the palace and then they just transport you to the jungle.
It's as if there is a chunk of game missing.
Why was the ISA cruiser commander in the jungle with you? Did the cruiser go down? If so why didn't he die? Why show him at all if he's not important?

DoomGyver

One thing I really like about the Move button layout is that crouch is mapped to the move button. Makes it extremely easy to crouch/hipfire on the fly, great for the M82. Now once melee gets patched to circle it will be perfect.

The settings I've settled on after a several hours with it:

d width 0
d height 0
sensitivity 0
turn speed 100
none
hold
hold

Now I'm going to take it to multiplayer. Currently I have a 1.25 kdr with DS3 only, so we'll see if that improves.

Edit: and to add, it's odd that the crosshair doesn't "shrink" when you crouch like it does on the DS3. Oversight?

Dibbz said:
The problem is it's anti-climactic. The mission is
to get off the planet and when you are almost there they just cut and boom you're in a jungle. They build it all up at the start, you're running around helping people get to this one point and then they don't even bother to show you what actually happens.

How do we know how they got to the jungle? Why wasn't that a mission? You fight all the way to the extraction point from the steps of the palace and then they just transport you to the jungle.
It's as if there is a chunk of game missing.
Why was the ISA cruiser commander in the jungle with you? Did the cruiser go down? If so why didn't he die? Why show him at all if he's not important?

Again it all was very straight forward and you just seem to be looking for answers to stuff that just really add nothing to the games storyline that isn't summed up the way they did it. "6 months" later and in game dialogue paint it all pretty clear, exact details would have just added more unneeded cut scenes to the game that was already over bloated with them. The ending which needing the most amount of coverage sadly is what they skipped the most on.

And why show any character in the game? Lot of faces were shown, none really were important at all to the story but they got shown either way. Would you have preferred everyone not important to be wearing up their balaclavas and masks? Story wise it is obvious they were not important, showing the inside of the cruiser was just a narrative decision to show the
failed escape

It's hard to be anti climatic when the whole thing was not the climax and the beginning of the game and plot summaries of the game pretty much told us what was going to happen.

mickcenary said:
Mangs. I've been MPing for a good 4 days now and the bonuses from my CE code REFUSE to cease working. I'm still getting my 'promotion bonus' after each match and every weapon/ability remains unlocked. Has this happened to anyone else?

It's a catch-22, really. On one hand, I'm uber competitive and have a lot of versatility at my disposal from the get go, but on the other hand, there's no incentive to persevere and unlock weapons/abilities.

Bumpin'! :)

I think I might just create a new PSN id, so I can actually reap some tangible rewards in MP.

Mikey Jr.

Massa said:

I could. Then I installed my retro pack promotion code.

Now I cant. I will literally play the same map all day. Have to go into preferences to change it.

mil6es

Just got to the bit where we have to destroy the giant spider thing and I had to puase that damn game, WOW!!!!!! never has a FPS before made me feel like I was in an actual war before with shit going on around me i.e other solders enemy and friendly and explosions, also the visuals and lighting.....amazing. for all the things this game gets wrong, it gets these 2 things so so right I love it

Carl

SO i just finished the game. Don't see what everyone is complaining about. I thought it was a pretty good ending, and a great ride all the way through from beginning to end.

Dibbz

BattleMonkey said:
Again it all was very straight forward and you just seem to be looking for answers to stuff that just really add nothing to the games storyline that isn't summed up the way they did it. "6 months" later and in game dialogue paint it all pretty clear, exact details would have just added more unneeded cut scenes to the game that was already over bloated with them. The ending which needing the most amount of coverage sadly is what they skipped the most on.

And why show any character in the game? Lot of faces were shown, none really were important at all to the story but they got shown either way. Would you have preferred everyone not important to be wearing up their balaclavas and masks? Story wise it is obvious they were not important, showing the inside of the cruiser was just a narrative decision to show the
failed escape

It's hard to be anti climatic when the whole thing was not the climax and the beginning of the game and plot summaries of the game pretty much told us what was going to happen.
The thing is at that particular point it changed the entire mission for the ISA. It went from escape to survive and we didn't get anything but a crappy little 6 months later. It's not like it was a small event or something, it a pretty huge turning point in the plot, even if we know what is mean to happen.
The fact that the entire ISA fleet was taken out and they were stranded
could have been used to show how overpowered the Helghast were but nope nothing at all, just black screen and 6 months later followed by magically everyone is safe in a completely different location. They could have magically transported them to Vekta because we don't have a clue what happened.

No continuity at all.

Dibbz said:
The thing is at that particular point it changed the entire mission for the ISA. It went from escape to survive and we didn't get anything but a crappy little 6 months later. It's not like it was a small event or something, it a pretty huge turning point in the plot, even if we know what is mean to happen.
The fact that the entire ISA fleet was taken out and they were stranded
could have been used to show how overpowered the Helghast were but nope nothing at all, just black screen and 6 months later followed by magically everyone is safe in a completely different location.[/spoiler] They could have magically transported them to Vekta because we don't have a clue what happened.

No continuity at all.

Again I don't see any continuity issue at all, more like you just wanted some non needed aspects gone over, but I think it would have been just more bloating of the story that could have used some editing already.
We see the ISA forces who were badly beaten and already down in numbers back in KZ2 retreating here following the ending of the past game. We see the fleet of cruisers who are helping evacuate getting shot down or leaving atmosphere and escaping. I mean it all is pretty self explanatory after the cruiser crash and the time lapse how the survivors who didn't get off the planet are hiding out and are being hunted by the helghast. They are trying to find a way to contact their people to get off the planet while hiding out.... not sure what else needs to be said here.

cnizzle06

Banned
Can somebody help me calibrated my picture settings? I just can't seem to find that perfect setting. I have an lg ld5300. Any advice?

Zoibie

Carl said:
SO i just finished the game. Don't see what everyone is complaining about. I thought it was a pretty good ending, and a great ride all the way through from beginning to end.

'sup Carl!

The 2nd half of the game was a lot better. 1st half felt, for the most part, just like a typical corridor shooter... only outdoors and with more graphics :p

They should have spent more time on the story too: most of these sorts of stories just have one, all-powerful dictator that you can direct all of your hatred and bullets towards, the plot doesn't usually show any behind-the-scenes political struggle so it's disappointing that this wasn't done better.

Carl

Zoibie said:
'sup Carl!

The 2nd half of the game was a lot better. 1st half felt, for the most part, just like a typical corridor shooter... only outdoors and with more graphics :p

They should have spent more time on the story too: most of these sorts of stories just have one, all-powerful dictator that you can direct all of your hatred and bullets towards, the plot doesn't usually show any behind-the-scenes political struggle so it's disappointing that this wasn't done better.

Definitey agree with you that the second half was FAR better. I still enjoyed the first part, but it just seemed to really come into it's own from
saving Narville
onwards.

Thrakier

Can someone explain to me why
I'm suddenly in this wood doing shit!? Six months later? Yeah? Um...WAT?
. Reminds me of R2 tbh, this game had the same problems.

Dibbz

Thrakier said:
Can someone explain to me why
I'm suddenly in this wood doing shit!? Six months later? Yeah? Um...WAT?
. Reminds me of R2 tbh, this game had the same problems.
Read my posts above, I felt the same. They just drop you in.

ISA's cruisers were destroyed so all survivors relocated to the jungle to hide

Zen

Banned
Thrakier said:
WTH, they really didn't show that...

Yeah it's quite the jump considering
the scene before that ends with Sev and co being shown basically making it to the ISA cruiser
. This isn't high art storytelling where information being withheld from the viewer is withheld for some purpose, or 'needing to know every little thing', the gap between said scene and 6 months later is just bad writing period.

Top Bottom