• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Thrakier said:
WTH, they really didn't show that...

Because they tell you it through dialogue and it's plainly obvious from the lead in. Remember
the ISA were losing in KZ2 and only a few of the remaining forces made the last ditch run on Visari's palace. At the beginning of 3 you are trying to escape the planet by rendezvous with the last of the ISA fleet. You see and they say how most of the ships have gone to orbit already and we see the final ships being shot down before the time skip. The dialogue in the following parts explains how they are trying to contact Vecta and fleet command to help them get off the planet, and is explained further along you get.

nib95

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Heh, they even emulated the slowdown @ 2:13
I wish the actual game gave off more of the "grim/depressed/survival with no chance of escape" feel. This seems to do a decent job of it....it's more intense than the game.

You honestly feel the game didn't portray that? I mean...really? Maybe not early on, but by the middle through to the end there are so many times when the ISA are getting their asses handed to them, on the brink of annihilation (or in the process of it).

Zen

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Because they tell you it through dialogue and it's plainly obvious from the lead in. Remember
the ISA were losing in KZ2 and only a few of the remaining forces made the last ditch run on Visari's palace. At the beginning of 3 you are trying to escape the planet by rendezvous with the last of the ISA fleet. You see and they say how most of the ships have gone to orbit already and we see the final ships being shot down before the time skip. The dialogue in the following parts explains how they are trying to contact Vecta and fleet command to help them get off the planet, and is explained further along you get.

The rest of the game kind of ignores that when it comes to the sheer amount of equipment that the ISA have, and correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't show
the final cruiser being shot down

mr_nothin

Banned
nib95 said:
You honestly feel the game didn't portray that? I mean...really? Maybe not early on, but by the middle through to the end there are so many times when the ISA are getting their asses handed to them, on the brink of annihilation (or in the process of it).
Well, maybe I should just shut up and finish the game completely 1st =] but I'm a little more than half way through and it just seems ho-hum so far. It just seems very light. It's the same problem I had with KZ2. Everything just seems...light, like a Saturday morning cartoon when the main characters get into a really bad situation and then it cuts to commercial and you know something is going to happen to them. Even if something happens, it's going to be to a no-name/non important character. It has that same kind of feeling.

nib95

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Well, maybe I should just shut up and finish the game completely 1st =] but I'm a little more than half way through and it just seems ho-hum so far. It just seems very light. It's the same problem I had with KZ2. Everything just seems...light, like a Saturday morning cartoon when the main characters get into a really bad situation and then it cuts to commercial and you know something is going to happen to them. Even if something happens, it's going to be to a no-name/non important character. It has that same kind of feeling.

Welcome to video gaming lol. Unfortunately the level of depth and emotional engagement you want from shooters basically doesn't exist yet, especially in dudebro one's such as KZ, COD, Gears etc. Except for one or two fps (Bioshock for example), they all sort of suffer from this same issue.

zlatko

Banned
I'm just wondering if it might be on my end, but has anyone else noticed the absurd issues with hit detection that happens at least once a game. An opponent who is 100% still you have your sights on them unload, and the first chunk of what you fire completely misses them.

This game also pisses me off that too often you'll have a gap in the environment like railing or pieces of scrap iron, a person hides behind them not moving, you try to shoot them through the gaps, but none of the bullets hit them because the game has "invisible" walls for those gaps.

I'm glad I rented the game. The game is good for sure, but not something I can see myself getting hooked on. I also find the maps lacking when compared to the ones they had in Killzone 2.

zlatko said:
I'm just wondering if it might be on my end, but has anyone else noticed the absurd issues with hit detection that happens at least once a game. An opponent who is 100% still you have your sights on them unload, and the first chunk of what you fire completely misses them.

This game also pisses me off that too often you'll have a gap in the environment like railing or pieces of scrap iron, a person hides behind them not moving, you try to shoot them through the gaps, but none of the bullets hit them because the game has "invisible" walls for those gaps.

I'm glad I rented the game. The game is good for sure, but not something I can see myself getting hooked on. I also find the maps lacking when compared to the ones they had in Killzone 2.
That has happened to me only one or two times but I totally know what you mean. I just assumed it was a freak ocurrance of sporadic lag or something.

mr_nothin said:

actually, it's a conscious design decision by Guerilla. I read an interview with Guerilla where they said it's gonna be lighter in tone compared to KZ2. they feel KZ2 is too bleak and serious or something, the point is, they tried to put more flashy action and humor in KZ3 (the early cutscene with Rico and Sev using tanks, almost fall off a cliff, they had their 'Hell Yeah' moment but then fall anyway. did that kind of stuff ever happen in KZ2?)

it's unfortunate. they have the opportunity to make Saving Private Ryan, but choose to make Transformer instead. but I still love both of those films. and I still enjoy KZ3 a lot.

Zen said:
The rest of the game kind of ignores that when it comes to the sheer amount of equipment that the ISA have, and correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't show
the final cruiser being shot down

Yeah it definitely looks like there are portions of the cutscenes left on the editing room floor.
The escape to jungle part is missing how they went to the jungle, the snow saw section and I'm thinking there is some in the space station where Jammer is fighting the HGH trooper. Narville just magically disappears at the end of the game, I think his death may be explained before Stahl blasts the station...or Narville is inside the nuke. It's funny though because in the artbook there is a panel showing the destruction of Stahls facility, something not seen in the game, which leads me to believe there are cuts section of the narrative not in the game.

Just finished the game. I'll split my thoughts into sections.

Story.

It demonstrated promise in places. I dislike how Guerilla made Narville out to be an idiot so that we'd feel more for Rico. No. He's still a total cunt. I want to play alongside Hakha and Luger in KZ4. I never want to see Rico ever again.

There needed to be more of the struggle between Stahl and Orlock. Orlock was a useless cock and Stahl was the one with the ideas and drive. I'm glad Orlock died in a nasty way.

There were clearly cutscenes missing in the game. How did I end up on the Saw machine in the snow? Rushed game and it shows.

Ending. Press [O] to commit Genocide. What the fuck? What a terrible, terrible ending. We did not get to see more of how the Helghast live either. Where are the women and children?

Yet again Guerilla drop the ball. They need to get someone in there to write a story who isn't a complete prick.

Graphics and tech

Best looking game on a console by a long shot, however some of the audio mistakes are unforgivable. The tearing and macroblocking in the cutscenes actually angered me. Lip syncing was dreadful. Texturing was much improved over KZ2, however there was pop in on character models and that is not good at all.

Overall, the single player campaign was a rushed mess. The last three chapters were good, but overly dependent on on-rails segments, which I despise.

I'm not that impressed by the single player campaign. I'm bitterly let down. The story trailer showed great promise and I ended up with a half baked experience.

mr_nothin

Banned
nib95 said:
Welcome to video gaming lol. Unfortunately the level of depth and emotional engagement you want from shooters basically doesn't exist yet, especially in dudebro one's such as KZ, COD, Gears etc. Except for one or two fps (Bioshock for example), they all sort of suffer from this same issue.
I know, I know. I was just hoping that it would take a different route and it seemed like they were kind of trying to separate themselves from that at first but sadly had to give in. PC shooters are just a little more mature I guess.

Callibretto said:
actually, it's a conscious design decision by Guerilla. I read an interview with Guerilla where they said it's gonna be lighter in tone compared to KZ2. they feel KZ2 is too bleak and serious or something, the point is, they tried to put more flashy action and humor in KZ3 (the early cutscene with Rico and Sev using tanks, almost fall off a cliff, they had their 'Hell Yeah' moment but then fall anyway. did that kind of stuff ever happen in KZ2?)

it's unfortunate. they have the opportunity to make Saving Private Ryan, but choose to make Transformer instead. but I still love both of those films. and I still enjoy KZ3 a lot.
Yea that's what I wanted. I wanted Saving Private Ryan & Black Hawk Down rather than Transformers and GI Joe. That tank part that you're talking about had me laughing so hard because it was just soooo corny and out of place. They didnt really have those moments in KZ2 (well it didnt seem intentional anyway) but it still felt like they didnt utilize this GREAT backstory that they have set up for the Killzone universe. The "summer blockbuster" vibe doesnt fit with the theme all that much..IMO. Everything on Helghast is depression/struggle/warzone/fighting for independence/nazi & WWII comparisons/being alienated and then they want to cut out all of that and just focus on the action and add in a layer of cheesy humor.
I mean, LOOK AT THIS:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2007-killzone-2/21504

They went from THAT to what we have now, which is a regular ole military shooter. Look @ the atmosphere/sense of doom. It even had a little bit of cyberpunk thrown in there too. Oh what could have been... :/

I guess it's time for me to go hang out in the "am I the only 1 that hates scripted shooters" thread also. There are way too many scripted encounters this time around....so far. It's feeling like they've abandoned the mini-sandbox gameplay. After all of this...I think I'm looking more forward to Rage every day. I want an open world shooter where I can explore and see civilians and go to stores to buy upgrades/weapons. Do other stuff besides just shooting all the time. The more I think about it, the more it seems that Rage is EXACTLY what I'm clamoring for.

/RANT

anyone got any impressions of the "sharp shooter"?

I was thinking of getting one for this game and I dont have any other the other move controllers, eye toy etc. so it will be a bit of an outlay for only this game.

Hey guys, I bought the collectors edition on a whim and realized I don't really care for all of the extras. If anyone is interested in the helmet, the figurine and the artbook I'm giving them away. The only thing is you would have to pay for the shipping and handling or if you live in Edmonton canada I can just drop them off. Not sure if it's even worth it for most people but if anyone wants it just claim it here and send me a message. Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this.

chicko1983 said:

I was thinking of getting one for this game and I dont have any other the other move controllers, eye toy etc. so it will be a bit of an outlay for only this game.

I picked up move just for this game yesterday and its been worth it, cant comment on the sharpshooter, but id suggest getting move and a nav controller. I havnt used the DS3 and dont ever plan to, the move controls are excellent in this game once you configure the settings to your liking.

nib95

Banned
Blame gamers lol. Too many people complained about the gritty bleakness of KZ2 the controls and so on. So GG/Sony changed it. I mean, the sales of KZ2 were good, but probably far from what they wanted. It'll be interesting to see how KZ3 sells (does dudebro less serious work) and what KZ4 ends up like.

After swearing off KZ3's mp since the open beta, i decided to give it whirl if only to check out that turbine map that they don't let you play in botzone (any ideas why? I'd like to check it out in when offline but still yearning to kick some AI ass). I actually had a ton of fun playing for around 2 hours. What mostly helps is the environments. I love the art and world of KZ and these maps suck me in. I can't stand that junkyard map though. Coming to a stalemate at the center of the map equals terrible design.

Anyway, I can't wait to play more. I normally hate BS boosters and unlocks but since this game is fun, it's easy to ignore them.

mob_skater said:
Hey guys, I bought the collectors edition on a whim and realized I don't really care for all of the extras. If anyone is interested in the helmet, the figurine and the artbook I'm giving them away. The only thing is you would have to pay for the shipping and handling or if you live in Edmonton canada I can just drop them off. Not sure if it's even worth it for most people but if anyone wants it just claim it here and send me a message. Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this.

Sent you a PM :D

mr_nothin

Banned
nib95 said:
Blame gamers lol. Too many people complained about the gritty bleakness of KZ2 the controls and so on. So GG/Sony changed it. I mean, the sales of KZ2 were good, but probably far from what they wanted. It'll be interesting to see how KZ3 sells (does dudebro less serious work) and what KZ4 ends up like.
Yep, apparently you cant have a AAA fps that plays too differently from other AAA fps games this generation. If you wanted to set up a FPS franchise that was unique then it had to be done last gen and brought into this gen. Im also interested to see how well KZ3 sells and where that leaves KZ4. 1 thing is for sure though, they cant keep flip flopping, when trying to find a fanbase.

Having a ton of fun with the MP. Really the only thing that I like though is tactician. I love taking spawn points in any game and GG giving me the opportunity to do it constantly has me giddy. Plus the Move controls make it much more fun than usual, really adds the spice I needed to get back into a FPS. I am not the best with it but I am getting pretty damn good. My last game I played tonight I went 44-24 and got 13,000 XP. Finally made captain.

enewtabie

Any recommendations on sharp shooter settings. I feel like I'm getting sick from the spinning. I've been playing around with it in botzone,but I'll take any recommendations.

X-Frame

TheExecutive said:
Having a ton of fun with the MP. Really the only thing that I like though is tactician. I love taking spawn points in any game and GG giving me the opportunity to do it constantly has me giddy. Plus the Move controls make it much more fun than usual, really adds the spice I needed to get back into a FPS. I am not the best with it but I am getting pretty damn good. My last game I played tonight I went 44-24 and got 13,000 XP. Finally made captain.

Can I party up with you every game then?

Sometimes I'd like to take a break from relentlessly defending/attacking spawn points but when I do there never seems to be any competent Tactician's.

:(

Hazelhurst

Just beat it using the Move. I, like many others, have been spoiled by this control method. It feels so great and intuitive. I seriously hope Insomniac Games implements Move controls into Resistance 3. Guerilla Games has set the bar high, as far as FPS Move controls go.

Holy shit at the Arc Canon. That was a nice surprise.

I agree with those talking about the abrupt ending. I had a wtf moment when it ended.

Overall I had a blast with the campaign.

nib95 said:

I loved the look of KZ2 and I love the look of KZ3. I didnt mind the controls of KZ2 and love them in KZ3. I guess I am saying people are too fucking picky.

X-Frame said:

Sometimes I'd like to take a break from relentlessly defending/attacking spawn points but when I do there never seems to be any competent Tactician's.

Absolutely. I have turned on my notifications so when I actually receive an invite it will tell me. I had like 5 invites from everybody and just didnt see them. Add me to your PSN (name is in my profile).

Edit: Oh and marksmen with the move= <3

owlbeak

Any idea when the "Savior" patch is coming? The fucking Salamun market map glitch is the worst. I hate having to back out after every few rounds and change my map preference only to get in games that are empty because everyone has their map preference set to Salamun market!

Map preference needs to work like Battlefield: Bad Company 2's, make it find that map for the match you're joining, but then cycle normally, don't keep cycling me into games with the same map. Makes no sense!

DoomGyver

I usually play as a tactician so you two can go ahead and add me. Or I'll add you two, but I'm waiting for this huge thunderstorm to pass.

Funnily enough, I reckon Frozen Dam is actually one of the better maps, if not the best of the new bunch, but this may be because I'm THAT familiar with it.

mr_nothin said:
I know, I know. I was just hoping that it would take a different route and it seemed like they were kind of trying to separate themselves from that at first but sadly had to give in. PC shooters are just a little more mature I guess.

Yea that's what I wanted. I wanted Saving Private Ryan & Black Hawk Down rather than Transformers and GI Joe. That tank part that you're talking about had me laughing so hard because it was just soooo corny and out of place. They didnt really have those moments in KZ2 (well it didnt seem intentional anyway) but it still felt like they didnt utilize this GREAT backstory that they have set up for the Killzone universe. The "summer blockbuster" vibe doesnt fit with the theme all that much..IMO. Everything on Helghast is depression/struggle/warzone/fighting for independence/nazi & WWII comparisons/being alienated and then they want to cut out all of that and just focus on the action and add in a layer of cheesy humor.
I mean, LOOK AT THIS:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2007-killzone-2/21504

They went from THAT to what we have now, which is a regular ole military shooter. Look @ the atmosphere/sense of doom. It even had a little bit of cyberpunk thrown in there too. Oh what could have been... :/

I guess it's time for me to go hang out in the "am I the only 1 that hates scripted shooters" thread also. There are way too many scripted encounters this time around....so far. It's feeling like they've abandoned the mini-sandbox gameplay. After all of this...I think I'm looking more forward to Rage every day. I want an open world shooter where I can explore and see civilians and go to stores to buy upgrades/weapons. Do other stuff besides just shooting all the time. The more I think about it, the more it seems that Rage is EXACTLY what I'm clamoring for.

/RANT

dat e32007 art direction

4lf7b5t.gif

62i6a93.gif

I thought that even though KZ2 ultimately didn't have a story, GG did a great job presenting the helghast as an oppressive soviet union like place. They weren't super high tech like they are in KZ3.

Hulud

Yeah the game is great looking but you know what? They totally pay for it. There are times in MP when I can feel the framerate drop to 25 or lower. Feels totally distracting and actually has an effect on your ability to aim. When it happens I just think, "I could really, honestly do without some of these fucking particle effects!" Get the framerate up to at least a solid 30, then we'll talk about what game is the best looking on consoles, because, as it stands now...Killzone 3 is disqualified IMO. That title should go to God of War or something since that game has amazing AA+Models+runs at a fairly stable framerate. I don't even fucking like that series either.

All that said. I was playing Warzone this morning on that Snowdrift level and I spent half of my time defending the tactical spawn that I took over. I felt like I was helping my team by giving them a mid-field spawn and I even still managed to go positive 21. Not gonna lie, it was pretty fucking fun. The tactical spawns remind me a bit of Battlefield conquest, and I love Battlefield. I also planted a charge and killed the speaker-carrier so no, I wasn't just petting my k/d ratio the whole match. Fun, fun, fun.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Few things more annoying than watching marksmen grab the jet packs when I need jetpacks to capture the TSPs.

Kaze13

H_Prestige said:
I thought that even though KZ2 ultimately didn't have a story, GG did a great job presenting the helghast as an oppressive soviet union like place. They weren't super high tech like they are in KZ3.

The slums of Helghan will do that. I imagined Helghan bases to be more high tech and that's what I was treated to. Besided, the super high tech stuff was all within Stahls domain. It makes sense to see what we saw. The other places didn't look at all like Stahl's base.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hulud said:
Yeah the game is great looking but you know what? They totally pay for it. There are times in MP when I can feel the framerate drop to 25 or lower. Feels totally distracting and actually has an effect on your ability to aim. When it happens I just think, "I could really, honestly do without some of these fucking particle effects!" Get the framerate up to at least a solid 30, then we'll talk about what game is the best looking on consoles, because, as it stands now...Killzone 3 is disqualified IMO. That title should go to God of War or something since that game has amazing AA+Models+runs at a fairly stable framerate. I don't even fucking like that series either.

All that said. I was playing Warzone this morning on that Snowdrift level and I spent half of my time defending the tactical spawn that I took over. I felt like I was helping my team by giving them a mid-field spawn and I even still managed to go positive 21. Not gonna lie, it was pretty fucking fun. The tactical spawns remind me a bit of Battlefield conquest, and I love Battlefield. I also planted 2 charges so no, I wasn't just petting my k/d ratio the whole match. Fun, fun, fun.

the game runs fine in SP, save for a strange moment. The MP is laggy and has an unstable framerate.

Hulud

alr1ghtstart said:
the game runs fine in SP, save for a strange moment. The MP is laggy and has an unstable framerate.
I realize this. But for a game where 90% of my game-time is going to be spent on MP, I would really like if they sorted this shit out. I'll play the campaign maybe once, but the long term appeal is definitely the MP and I feel they bullheadedly made the decision to keep their stupid graphics at the expense of the gameplay which is a big no-no.

DoomGyver

commish said:
Few things more annoying than watching marksmen grab the jet packs when I need jetpacks to capture the TSPs.
This is infuriating, especially at the start of a match. It happened to me on Turbine so all I could do is go for the TSP with the EMP shutoff.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
is there any rhyme or reason on how the names are displayed in the invite/join friend/clan screen? They're just scattered all around in no order. FTSG.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Finished the game yesterday, loved every single moment of it but...

Where are the Helghast civilians, I know I read that GG was going to introduce us more into Helghan but they didn't, the ending would have been better if we saw them look up at the sky and seen the green from the nuke coming at them.
Some parts did seemed rushed, but it left me content and wanting another Killzone :/

Also if anybody can answer me this:

Who was that person Sthar shot in the opening cutscene?

Is their a consensus of who that person at the end might be, Visari's daughter perhaps?

chicko1983 said:

I said this earlier in the thread:
So yeah, I completed the campaign and played 5 hours of Multi with the Sharpshooter and did pretty decent.. as I said earlier in the thread, I felt as though I was doing slightly worse than I would with the DS3 but still good enough to hold my own.

So today I decided to play without the Sharpshooter and just the Move and wow. So much better. I only played 2 hours MP with it and I was getting 2.0 kdr in matches, something I've never been able to accomplish with the Sharpshooter. Campaign with just the Move has been a breeze thus far as well, on Elite! I guess the fact that I've already played through it helps but I've noticed that snapping to targets is much easier without the Sharpshooter - it requires less movement.

The Sharpshooter adds some immersion to the game for sure, but if you're looking for maximum precision (and comfort), then I suggest ditching it. I most certainly will.

I think I'm beginning to generally dislike the multi-player.

Every single game is looped-sided. In 15 or so hours I've seen maybe 2 games that ended 4-3 or 4-2, there's just no way for a team without perfect coordination to dig themselves out of a hole and after 3 minutes it turns into every man for himself. It's just very tiring with little sense of accomplishment.

MariusElijah said:
Who was that person Sthar shot in the opening cutscene?

I thought it was a random soldier who knew about the nuke. They didn't want that information getting out.

Could be wrong though.

Zen

Banned
MariusElijah said:
Is their a consensus of who that person at the end might be, Visari's daughter perhaps?

Well we only hear his daughter a few times in the game. Once communicating to the argus unit that Sev and Rico impersonate, and she also is heard as a PA for Stahl arms. Either they ran out of development time to give her a meaningful role or she's just being setup for future games.

but to actually answer your question, the consensus seems to be that it's Stahl, having survived the nuke in some nearby bunker safe rome like compartment of his ship.

Some people are hoping that it's actually Visari.

I can't help but think that the Visari double theory wouldn't make much sense given
that if that were the case, why would the real visari keep himself hidden away even 6 months after the invasion fails. Why would someone say 'Sir you have to move, the ISA are coming' in the CG cutscene to the double, if it was in fact a double for the entire duration of the CG.

Just got through the demo level and the one afterwards. Great stuff. Far better than all the stuff before it which was disappointing compared to KZ2. Gives me hope for the rest of the campaign.

P.S. Visari what theory? Keep ALL spoilers INSIDE spoiler tags, please.

X-Frame said:

Hey if ya need a tactician I love playing it. The only time I ever switch out of it is when none of the engineers on my team of randoms are bothering to fix the ammo crate at our TS…I end up just switching to engineer and taking matters into my own hand.

PSN is kurisub.

I've mostly been playing with my friends, so if any of you have been trying to add me while I was in the middle of a match I do apologize. Really wish they'd let you jump into games that people in our clan are already playing.

jorma

is now taking requests
kurisub306 said:
PSN is kurisub.

I've mostly been playing with my friends, so if any of you have been trying to add me while I was in the middle of a match I do apologize. Really wish they'd let you jump into games that people in our clan are already playing.

yes! I really don't see why they wont let you join a game unless someone in it is on your friendlist.

Top Bottom