• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

cnizzle06

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Yea, I really dont like Salamun Market in KZ3....especially when I was forced to play it like 10 times back to back without knowing how to fix the bug at 1st. It really is a mess. Why do they have the TSPs RIGHT next to each other. 1 on the roof and then right around the corner is 1 on the ground level. It just turns into a infinite spawn battle where people just throw grenades around the corner.

So what is the bug fix cause I'm thinking about getting the maps today.

nib95

Banned
Ok so I've had two crashes and one "world is full" message. Seriously, GG fix this shit. Can't believe they falter at such basics.

Dibbz

commish said:
There are WAY WAY WAY too many marksmen in the game, but I totally understand why. There's no downside to the class - you can cloak, get an assault rifle or a sniper gun/auto pistol (that doesn't break cloak), jam radars, don't appear on radars, and have just as much health as everyone else. I recently unlocked 9/10 for the marksman myself and plan to try it out a bit - I'm not sold that that Scramble++ does more good than harm.
Of course there are down sides. If you play as marksman you can capture TSP's, you can't plant charges faster than normal, you can't repair guns/ammo boxes, can't revive people. Basically if you play as marksman and so does the majority of your team then the other team can over run you easily.

The makrsman might be good at getting kills but the game is not about getting kills it's about the objectives. If you're struggling against a team of marksmen then I don't know what to say.

ultron87

cnizzle06 said:

Once you start playing on one of the Retro maps new rounds will always be on that map. So until you leave the game and find a new one you'll just be playing that map over and over.

If you start on one of the normal maps you get to vote on the next map.

left_senseless said:
killzone 3's MP makes me really miss tactical spawn grenades. i loved being a tact before. now i feel that i am more separated from the team rather than being apart of the team. i am always fighting a one man battle trying to steal TSPs and protect them. all GG had to do is remove the smoke, allow the spawn grenades to show up on friendly radar, and maybe make it a small flashing beacon that would make it harder for the other team to locate a properly placed spawn grenade. then spread the spawn area a little wider than just spawning directly in front of the grenade.

Exactly, just remove the smoke and maybe have a slightly wider spawning zone around the grenade so it's harder for one dude with a LMG to just kill everyone.

Dibbz

cnizzle06 said:
Change map preferences to Any. It's set that at default anyway. When you get into a game that has the DLC maps you can't change map until you back out of that room.

mr_nothin

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
You basically have to change the preferred map to anything besides Salamun/Blood G. and you'll be able to rotate the regular maps. If you get on Salamun or Blood G just be prepared to play it all day until you quit.
coolcole93 said:
Last time they did this, they came out with patch 1.03. Hopefully this is the savior patch!

cnizzle06 said:
Would you say the maps are worth it?
If you dont play Guerrilla Warfare (I hate it) then Blood Gratch is not worth it. Salamun Market is all fucked up in KZ3 but you may find enjoyment out of it initially. Oh and get ready to deal with a bunch of mechs and WASP spammers on Salamun.

cnizzle06

Banned
ultron87 said:
Once you start playing on one of the Retro maps new rounds will always be on that map. So until you leave the game and find a new one you'll just be playing that map over and over.

If you start on one of the normal maps you get to vote on the next map.

Would you say the maps are worth it?

mr_nothin

Banned
Dibbz said:
Of course there are down sides. If you play as marksman you can capture TSP's, you can't plant charges faster than normal, you can't repair guns/ammo boxes, can't revive people. Basically if you play as marksman and so does the majority of your team then the other team can over run you easily.

The makrsman might be good at getting kills but the game is not about getting kills it's about the objectives. If you're struggling against a team of marksmen then I don't know what to say.
You get WAY more points for killing people. If all someone did was kill people the whole match, they can still be at the top of the scoreboard. Kill scores are always like 4 or 5 times higher than any other score.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
mr_nothin said:
You get WAY more points for killing people. If all someone did was kill people the whole match, they can still be at the top of the scoreboard. Kill scores are always like 4 or 5 times higher than any other score.

Yes, I capture a TSP, I get... 50 points. I revive a teammate? 50 points. I melee someone? 150 points... triple the points.

M-Mole

Neo Member
I haven't been able to play any multiplayer at all, ive been trying since the open beta. All i get is error after error.
Has anyone got a fix for this, ive tried opening ports and upgraded to the non-mandatory firmware but it still wont work.

All my other games work online, really sad at the moment (the menu music doesn't help).

commish

coolcole93 said:
It makes you wonder why game developers keep making the same mistakes :|

At least some other games give bonus points for actions taken near an objective. Why they don't do that in KZ3 is beyond me. They incentivized the wrong shit. Capturing a TSP should be 300 points and actions taken around a tsp should be worth double so ppl actually defend them and care about them.

commish said:
Yes, I capture a TSP, I get... 50 points. I revive a teammate? 50 points. I melee someone? 150 points... triple the points.
That would annoy me to no end, long as friendly fire is off in these kind of games flag caps should be multiple hundreds worth so people actually go for the flag.

Xater said:
The biggest problem are tacticians not doing their fucking job. Then usually the other team gets all the spawn point and you get destroyed.
Well that means tacts ARE doing their jobs, its just that the good ones are all in the opposite team :p

ultron87

You should always be able to see the status of TSPs even if you aren't a Tactician.

I'm not going to flick through every available spawn point each time I die just to make sure that none of them have been captured since the last time I was a Tactician.

cnizzle06

Banned
mr_nothin said:
You basically have to change the preferred map to anything besides Salamun/Blood G. and you'll be able to rotate the regular maps. If you get on Salamun or Blood G just be prepared to play it all day until you quit.

Last time they did this, they came out with patch 1.03. Hopefully this is the savior patch!

If you dont play Guerrilla Warfare (I hate it) then Blood Gratch is not worth it. Salamun Market is all fucked up in KZ3 but you may find enjoyment out of it initially. Oh and get ready to deal with a bunch of mechs and WASP spammers on Salamun.

Ugh, maybe I'll just hold off for now. I only play warzone and the occasional operations.

Grisby

commish said:

Shit, I didn't even think about this. GG really did give incentives to the wrong thing.

cakefoo

GraveRobberX said:
Is it me or are the hit boxes for this game really weird. When running it's like the HB is .5 seconds behind you, like it's trailing your character
I have been killed behind corners while running to safety or shooting bullets past the guy running behind an object, but my bullets still hitting the target and netting me the kill
It's just how online MP games handle latency. The shooter sees a delayed version of you, which means they see you out in the open for a split second longer than you do, giving them more time to shoot you. And you also don't get the message that you've died until a split second later, when you're even further behind cover.

I'm pretty sure modern shooters do this to prevent the shooter from having to lead/predict his target's position several feet ahead like in the early days of online MP. It was a really important improvement to make the shooting feel much more accurate.

Wow you get just 50 points for revival? That doesn't make sense. Maybe they should take a page from Zipper's book and see how they encourage teamwork and doing objectives. Double points for kills close to objectives, double points for revival, 10 times more points for doing objectives etc. XP is the biggest motivator in modern online shooters, use it to get people do what you want them to do.

Mr.Green

So, err.... yeah... I have rented this and only been playing the SP so far and it's pretty cool etc...

Regarding Move controls... It works very well except I feel like I have to recalibrate every 2 minutes. It's like it loses center. Anyone else experience this? Is there a cure?

i was rageing last night. Nobody wanted to be tactician on my team, so im like, screw it. I usually go with medic but ill try tactician since nobody realizes how important it is. All I did the whole time was die. It was me respawning running to try and capture the point a ton of times, with no help, and no extra tactician to make the process easier. I see greatness when I am in a server that has competent players. but if thats not the case, the game is so frustrating.

commish said:
At least some other games give bonus points for actions taken near an objective. Why they don't do that in KZ3 is beyond me. They incentivized the wrong shit. Capturing a TSP should be 300 points and actions taken around a tsp should be worth double so ppl actually defend them and care about them.

Weirdly enough I think they had something like this in Killzone 2. GG are such a strange developer. It's like they have all the ingredients to be the best devs on the planet but they just don't know what to do with them.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I love the mechs, they are perfectly balanced and easy to take out, but if you are a skilled driver (or if the other team doesn't try to kill you) you can demolish with them. Went 30-3 last night without ever leaving a mech and helped our team capture points and capture the speaker.

Any word on the patch though? I am still needing to slow down my "aiming down the sights" speed in relation to the regular X axis sensitivity. Also private squad chat would be nice...

TrAcEr_x90 said:
i was rageing last night. Nobody wanted to be tactician on my team, so im like, screw it. I usually go with medic but ill try tactician since nobody realizes how important it is. All I did the whole time was die. It was me respawning running to try and capture the point a ton of times, with no help, and no extra tactician to make the process easier. I see greatness when I am in a server that has competent players. but if thats not the case, the game is so frustrating.

This is pretty much every Warzone game I've been in since launch. Bar one game when I joined a clan's team vs some randoms. It's so frustrating, everybody just seems to play for kills then leave once we get trapped in our spawn.

Facism

i had a big post about the points per kill/objective balance and the removal of the bonus point zones around active objectives a few pages back.

Such simple things that have been neglected but added enough incentive for players to play Warzone as a team.

.GqueB.

Banned
Xater said:
I personally don't understand why the people care that much about it. My K/D ratio is under 1 and I have no problem with that. I play a medic, I get gunned down quite often doing my job and I also see the objectives as my priority. K/D ratio is not what get's these guys XP.
I think what many people fail to understand is that people have been playing shooters for years with the kill kill kill mentality. Its hard to get out of that especially when youre playing other shooters simultaneously or if you just got finished playing a few months of Black ops/Halo etc etc. You kind of have to train someone to be more focused on objectives. That’s why I think there should have been more of a focus on operations. Youre literally forced to got after the objectives. If you don’t, you lose.

Theres nothing like that in regular warzone.

If you lost the game and youre still on top with a 25-7 KDR then youre gonna still feel good about yourself because that’s how we’ve been trained. But if you play operations and you lose in the first round, youre going to feel embarrassed whether youre on top or not.

They could change around the way the point incentives work but it would have to be a DRASTIC change which I would definitely be behind. Im talking 10 points for kills and 75 or so for objectives and class related tasks. They have to make it glaringly clear that “objectives = the point”. Complete your task or fail. That’s it. They had the right idea in operations, they just didn’t run with it.

But you guys may also have to take into consideration that many people may not want to play like that. Killing is fun, repairing ammo crates and standing next to spawn points is not. So they may end up shooting themselves in the foot if they switched the incentives as we all want them to. If you make the nonfun part more rewarding than the fun part then there may be a very negative reaction from the community.

owlbeak

coolcole93 said:
Weirdly enough I think they had something like this in Killzone 2
Yeah, they had green zones around the objectives and C&H spots that you got bonus points for getting kills within the border just for being in the objective zone.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
mr_nothin said:
Guerrilla Games is the pity developer. Last gen Killzone didnt turn out as good as it should have been because of hardware limitations and the pressure put on them by the media that hailed Killzone as the Halo Killer.

Killzone 2 didnt turn out good because of the pressure put on them to show that they can make a decent game and pressure put on them by Sony to make their AAA FPS franchise. They also had pressure on them to show up that prerendered trailer from 2005.

Killzone 3 didnt turn out good because of the pressure put on them by Sony to implement Move & 3D and to make it their COD. They also had time constraints for whatever reason....even though they already had an engine in place.

I think I see a pattern...Guerrilla Games cant work under pressure and they shoot themselves in the foot by seemingly overly focusing on tech 1st and then making a game.

This is exactly true. And they are not close to being sony's best first party dev team.

Dibbz

erlim said:
This is exactly true. And they are not close to being sony's best first party dev team.
If anything KZ3 proves that GG are a capable dev and are able to hit everything that is thrown at them.

KZ2, they were forced to make it look as good as the target render. They done that and brought the KZ franchise to the PS3 with a bang. Online was weak though and wasn't able to hold a large userbase.

KZ3 they were forced to go even bigger and better than KZ2. They had to add Move, add 3D, improve multiplayer, add co-op and they done all of it.

The biggest criticism thrown at KZ3 is the story is weak. They could have easily fucked up along the way ala R2 with all parts of the game SP, MP, Co-Op being shit but they've put out a title which is solid on all fronts but just lacks the delivery on the story front.

It's no masterpiece but it certainly is better than KZ2 in every possible way and thats with all the added shit they had to do on top. Give GG proper time and resources and we'll see what they can do.

my long list of pros and cons

pros
-3 weapon system opens more battle options
-jetpack feels great
-rico isnt an asshat
-rico revives you
-more gun variety in both SP and MP
-no game breaking class like assault class
-being able to slide to cover and brutal melee in SP look and feel badass.
- overall better musical score
- dialog is improved
- playing as helghan soldier :)
- unlocking system isnt a grindfest like in KZ2
- jetpack is fun in MP
- operations mode

cons

campaign
-inferior art design
-cover system is less effective. your exposed most of the time in cover.
-guns less satisfying to shoot
- AI seem worse. In KZ2 the AI would flank you often in higher difficulties. This they just take a ridic amount of bullets and who have no health
-too many on rail segments
-too many cutscense for a boring story
-Transition form gameplay to cut scene worse
-glitches like lip syncing, repeated dialog

-playing same maps over in warzone, freezing
-No custom games
-No squad system
-no proximity chat
-MP guns all feel similar thanks to increased bullet damage, lower recoil and lower bullet spread. a AR is essentially just as effect as a shotgun at point blank range.
-high bullet damage and increased game speed leads to twitchy gameplay and battles are no longer dynamic. rarely need to use sidearm and battles consist of seeing someone and killing them
-medic is nerfed with pathetic revive range, and short spawn time for downed players
-motor strikes, mechs and missile turrets are essentially free kills
-TSP basically decideds who wins a game and, at least spawn grenades where dynamic. all spawn grenades needed was a way to destroy them IMO
-no custom soundtracks
-C4 spam everywhere, should still be an ability
-unlocking classes was better in KZ2 as it forced players to learn each class
-no medic locator for downed players
-no friendly fire to discourage grenade spam
-melee system is overpowered, especially for infiltrators
-marksman class is overpowered thanks to easy sniping(sniper no longer sways), and having a assault rifle as a primary weapon, wth?
-vastly inferior map design
- cant join clan members and friends mid game.
-inferior stat tracking
-no replay mode

the MP is just so disappointing compared to KZ2. i have to wonder what happened.

dorkimoe

I was pretty good at Killzone 2, always in the top 2 on my team. Always a great K:D ratio. Now im terrible and cant even get close to positive

Almost finished the SP campaign last night...
I don't know why Rico decided to go save Narville, knowing that doing so would end up killing more people than they ended up saving. Other than that, what a fucking thrill ride. The game looks beautiful, the gameplay is awesome, I think GG really outdid themselves. Just get a better scenario writer.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Dibbz said:
If anything KZ3 proves that GG are a capable dev and are able to hit everything that is thrown at them.

KZ2, they were forced to make it look as good as the target render. They done that and brought the KZ franchise to the PS3 with a bang. Online was weak though and wasn't able to hold a large userbase.

KZ3 they were forced to go even bigger and better than KZ2. They had to add Move, add 3D, improve multiplayer, add co-op and they done all of it.

The biggest criticism thrown at KZ3 is the story is weak. They could have easily fucked up along the way ala R2 with all parts of the game SP, MP, Co-Op being shit but they've put out a title which is solid on all fronts but just lacks the delivery on the story front.

It's no masterpiece but it certainly is better than KZ2 in every possible way and thats with all the added shit they had to do on top. Give GG proper time and resources and we'll see what they can do.

I really do think that GG has had ample time. Insomniac put out Resistance and Resistance 2 before KZ2 even came out. Sony also poured many more resources and money into GG to push KZ2, which left Insomniac feeling miffed over not getting the same treatment for the Resistance games. As for KZ3, I would argue that just because a game feels rushed doesn't mean it actually was. Again as far as tech/art go GG is strong, it's that they just don't make a good game to go along with it.

Mr.Green

Dude Abides said:
Once you get the hang of it, this game is a lot more fun using the Move than the traditional controller.

Do you have any issues regarding calibration?

The center drifts after a short while here.

Rikyfree

My fixes to the KDR/point whores- Warzone- All kills are worth 25 points, objectives are worth 10 times more than they are now. Only kills are listed in the scoreboard and deaths are not tracked at all. Also make abilities worth 5 times more than they are right now. Have zones where, within the objective limits, kills are worth 100 points. Body count in Warzone remains the same. Add spawn on squad leader and have two more TSP that can only be taken by your team (to prevent base camping), one each.
Remove the Assault Rifle from the marksman, give him the silenced burst rifle from the medic, give the medic the marksman assault rifle. The marksman remains cloaked using silenced weapons for 3 kills. The infiltrator keeps his speed, but has infinite stamina replaced with the ability to be disguised for 5 seconds while carrying a propaganda speaker or 2 seconds when planting a bomb. When carrying a speaker he shows up as friendly, but as an enemy on the radar. When planting nothing shows up on the defense side till the disguise is broken. Those are my list of fixes.

commish

HixxSAFC said:
Ha. Previewing the post adds the URL tags automatically, commish.

The URL tags are added automatically even w/o previewing. I went back to make an edit and accidentally deleted a bracket.

Zen

Banned
Dibbz said:

The two things that I think people take the biggest issue with are the story and level design being much more directed. Both of these things are direct responses to the criticisms of Killzone 2.

People complained about the story being too oppressive, so they added humor (ugh!)
People complained that the campaign felt too grinding without enough wow moments so they emulated Call of Duty a bit more.

The story being bad, I think was just a mater of a bad decision made in the hiring process, and there's not much the dev side can do about that once they're into development.

I really do think that GG has had ample time. Insomniac put out Resistance and Resistance 2 before KZ2 even came out. Sony also poured many more resources and money into GG to push KZ2, which left Insomniac feeling miffed over not getting the same treatment for the Resistance games. As for KZ3, I would argue that just because a game feels rushed doesn't mean it actually was. Again as far as tech/art go GG is strong, it's that they just don't make a good game to go along with it.

Those are some pretty harsh words. Killzone 3 is still a better game than Resistance 1 and 2, and it's not like Guerrilla had all that manpower from Killzone 2 to work on Killzone 3. The game clearly isn't everything it could have been, but in terms of missteps, about the only thing that actually comes into Resistance 2 leagues of missteps would be the story. I mean seriously "Don't make a good game to go with it?"? What ever your standards are, they must be incredibly high.

Top Bottom