• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
To stop my Killzone and GG bashing for moment, I would like to take a moment again to praise GG's art. I wish they'd put out an artbook like they did for Uncharted 2.

X-Frame

I know that I probably sound like a broken record right now but everyone here talking about how GG prioritized straight, random killing to most points earned and not to objectives just makes me that much more excited for Brink.

In Brink, kills account for crap unless they are made around objectives, among the many other aspects of the game that promote teamplay. Not only that, but there isn't even going to be any KDR indication either in the scoreboard, and I think also leaderboard as well! Sign me the hell up.

I figured KZ3 would develop deeper into the class-based, teamwork-oriented gameplay that was built in KZ2 but instead they did a 180.

-viper-

Banned
So what is it with everyone claiming it takes far too many bullets to kill in Killzone 3?

When I played the beta it was absolutely easy to kill someone. Likewise with the KZ3 demo.

Have they altered player health values? How does the player health compare with Killzone 2 (which I thought it took far too many bullets to kill tbh, at least, in single player. It was fine in multiplayer though).

I WANT A COMPARISON OF DAMAGE AND HEALTH WITH KZ2 SP AND KZ2 MP PLEASE.

Is Killzone 3 easier to kill than Killzone 2?

Mik2121

X-Frame said:
I know that I probably sound like a broken record right now but everyone here talking about how GG prioritized straight, random killing to most points earned and not to objectives just makes me that much more excited for Brink.

In Brink, kills account for crap unless they are made around objectives, among the many other aspects of the game that promote teamplay. Not only that, but there isn't even going to be any KDR indication either in the scoreboard, and I think also leaderboard as well! Sign me the hell up.

I figured KZ3 would develop deeper into the class-based, teamwork-oriented gameplay that was built in KZ2 but instead they did a 180.
Yeah. I think KZ3 will last me until May 17th when Brink releases. Then that game will last me until MW3 releases, and that one will last me until whatever next good FPS shows up (I might check out Battlefield 3 too).

Dibbz

commish said:
At least some other games give bonus points for actions taken near an objective. Why they don't do that in KZ3 is beyond me. They incentivized the wrong shit. Capturing a TSP should be 300 points and actions taken around a tsp should be worth double so ppl actually defend them and care about them.
Yeah but pick up propaganda speaker is like 250, defusing/planting charge is 250 I think. Completing actual objectives does net you a lot of points. Playing your class as you should (capturing TSP's, reviving etc) are things that you do to help your team, not to score mega points :|

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Dibbz said:
Yeah but pick up propaganda speaker is like 250, defusing/planting charge is 250 I think. Completing actual objectives does net you a lot of points. Playing your class as you should (capturing TSP's, reviving etc) are things that you do to help your team, not to score mega points :|

Scoring the propaganda speaker is actually 500 points, and planting a bomb that detonates also gets you 500 (250 plant, 250 when it explodes). I'm with in that people should be doing things to help their team, but at the end of the day, these retards tend to only care about points and KDR.

DoomGyver

Zen said:
Helghast has a ton of armor on them, but if you aim for the chest/head they're practically a 2 shot.
Yup, I think a lot of the complaints about bullet sponges comes from people aiming towards the midsection and holding down the trigger. All that does is activate the Hollywood style death animations. 2 shots to the head = done, maybe 3 depending on how you hit the helmet and what gun you're using.

I watched a team with a bunch of snipers today put up great K/D ratio's like 40-5, 35-10 etc...today in Warzone, Just camped out a windows.

Even tho we destroyed them match after match since they were stacked with camping snipers they still dominated the points and top spots.
They should decrease the kill points or something.

CozMick

Banned
Awwww I was hoping the server downtime was preparation for the big patch.

Expected to boot the game up with some pretty white writing on my screen :(

X-Frame

Dibbz said:
Even then, the winning team gets a 1.5x multiplier whereas the losing team gets 1.25x. Are there any other points going for winning and how much? I never really bothered to look since the end-game stats screen is so cluttered.

CozMick

Banned
X-Frame said:
Even then, the winning team gets a 1.5x multiplier whereas the losing team gets 1.25x. Are there any other points going for winning and how much? I never really bothered to look since the end-game stats screen is so cluttered.

Quite sure you get Double XP for completing objectives.

Dibbz

X-Frame said:
Well back in KZ2 only the winning team would get the win bonus but what ended up happening was if the opposition had won 4 rounds they were guaranteed the win and people on the losing team would quit, even if there were 3 more rounds to go.

This way the losing team get points for at least trying even if they lose and the room stays more or less full.

X-Frame

Dibbz said:
Well back in KZ2 only the winning team would get the win bonus but what ended up happening was if the opposition had won 4 rounds they were guaranteed the win and people on the losing team would quit, even if there were 3 more rounds to go.

This way the losing team get points for at least trying even if they lose and the room stays more or less full.
Yup, and I approve anything to prevent quitting when the loss is a sure thing, but don't you think the winning bonus should be higher?

@CozMick, I was talking about at the end of the game, not the Double Kill XP ribbon (just for kills, not all points which again baffles me and promotes random killing for 60 seconds or something).

Sidzed2

To my eye, Killzone 2 is still the better-looking game. It may not boast the technical bells and whistels of its sequel, but its softer, grainier look, moody art direction and atmospheric lighting design make it more pleasing to my eye.

I've noticed a number of things lost in transition between Killzone 2 and Killzone 3, actually, including:

- the glorious recoil and differing 'weights' to the guns, which gave each its own distinctive feel. For instance, the shotgun in Killzone 3 feels like a potato gun compared to its predecessor.

- the amazing, physics-based exploding canisters which have now been replaced by the most boring metal drums.

- the slick menus and loading screens are now bland and forgettable.

- the glorious CG intro to Killzone 2 hasn't really been topped.

Blah, I'm just rambling. Killzone 3 has a lot going for it, but it really does feel like a sideways step. It's simultaneously better and weaker than its predecessor in a number of different ways.

Zen said:
Helghast has a ton of armor on them, but if you aim for the chest/head they're practically a 2 shot.

They die pretty quick outside of the heavier troopers like the ones with lightning cannons which seem to take more shots.

The whole bullet sponge thing really comes from when troops are in cover. The game seems to not really register hits as doing the same amount of damage when they are in cover positions. You can shoot at them and see the blood constantly fly off the enemy, but they just wont die, yet in the open a couple shots and they fall.

I think to make cover mean more for the enemy they make your bullets generally do less damage when they are attached to cover

Sidzed2 said:
To my eye, Killzone 2 is still the better-looking game. It may not boast the technical bells and whistels of its sequel, but its softer, grainier look, moody art direction and atmospheric lighting design make it more pleasing to my eye.

I've noticed a number of things lost in transition between Killzone 2 and Killzone 3, actually, including:

- the glorious recoil and differing 'weights' to the guns, which gave each its own distinctive feel. For instance, the shotgun in Killzone 3 feels like a potato gun compared to its predecessor.

- the amazing, physics-based exploding canisters which have now been replaced by the most boring metal drums.

- the slick menus and loading screens are now bland and forgettable.

- the glorious CG intro to Killzone 2 hasn't really been topped.

Blah, I'm just rambling. Killzone 3 has a lot going for it, but it really does feel like a sideways step. It's simultaneously better and weaker than its predecessor in a number of different ways.

You have to give them credit for trying many new things and switching up some of the core gameplay. So many sequels simply add a few things here and there, get labeled x.5 instead of a true sequel and are forgotten about a couple years later. I'd love if every developer went this radical on each sequel, helps with franchise fatigue as well.

I mean, I miss some stuff from KZ2 but this is a fresher experience.

After the nth time having my system lock up when trying to reconnect after a network error this piece of shit is going back to amazon for $40 credit.

The sad thing is even when I'm not getting dumped out of games the average match is an unbalanced shitfest anyway. Guerilla needs to scrap the entire multiplayer system and start from scratch, not that I'll ever buy another KZ game again.

Facism

darkwing said:
how does the Clan Tournament work here now?

matchmaking but slower and no control over what map you play on. Plus if you're in a squad, you have to disband and reinvite everyone under the clan tournament menu.

Sidzed2

Lion Heart said:
You have to give them credit for trying many new things and switching up some of the core gameplay. So many sequels simply add a few things here and there, get labeled x.5 instead of a true sequel and are forgotten about a couple years later. I'd love if every developer went this radical on each sequel, helps with franchise fatigue as well.

I mean, I miss some stuff from KZ2 but this is a fresher experience.

You have a point, and to some extent I agree with it. Each game in the Killzone series has undergone some radical changes. But I suppose, for me, the best sequels are the ones which understand the strengths and weaknesses of their predecessors and make things feel fresh while preserving the best bits.

I don't want to harp on about it, but for me, Uncharted 2 represents the ultimate sequel. Killzone 3 feels like a side-entry to the franchise... you know, the "Call of Duty" one. Big, brash, melodramatic, packed with variety, etc. I just happened to like the smaller scope and gritty intensity of 2.

I have a feeling that, in the end, Killzone 2 will be the one which is remembered. It's the one where I feel like Guerilla was the most passionate about what they were doing.

Having said all that, I hoped Guerilla changes things up for the fourth instalment. They are working within an absolutely amazing universe packed with detail and intrigue, but to my mind they haven't capitalised on it yet. I want a Helghast civil war game, or an espionage-themed take on the franchise... I'm open to be surprised.

X-Frame said:

I was just thinking about this. I'm not proud to say it, but I'm a bit of a slave to the KDR; it's just the way things have eventuated between me and the FPS. I do think that it is largely due to the fact that the statistic is viewable in real-time just by cycling through a few menus. If it wasn't displayed as such and hence, required manual calculation, I'd be less inclined to check it and consequently, I'd focus more on the actual "game".

My blood-pressure level would probably subside substantially, too :).

Huge props to Brink, I say.

jtrov

I just picked up KZ3 this weekend and I'm absolutely loving both the SP and MP. I've dumped a lot more time into MP thus far, and even though I'm having a lot of fun I feel like I'm missing the point in game types such as, Warzone and Operations. Most of the time I'm part of a losing lopsided affair, but everything is so chaotic that I never feel like I'm learning the ins and outs to not only the maps, but the objectives as well.

I'm currently playing as a Tactician, and it's rewarding locking down those Tactical Spawn Points, but I can never get anyone to accompany me to help lock down key positions. Does anyone have any tips or guides about each class and what works best?

Also, most of my friends don't own a PS3, so I don't know anyone who owns KZ3. I'd love to get some games in with some Gaffers, if any of you don't mind adding me.

My PSN is: jtrov

Dibbz

Sidzed2 said:
You have a point, and to some extent I agree with it. Each game in the Killzone series has undergone some radical changes. But I suppose, for me, the best sequels are the ones which understand the strengths and weaknesses of their predecessors and make things feel fresh while preserving the best bits.

I don't want to harp on about it, but for me, Uncharted 2 represents the ultimate sequel. Killzone 3 feels like a side-entry to the franchise... you know, the "Call of Duty" one. Big, brash, melodramatic, packed with variety, etc. I just happened to like the smaller scope and gritty intensity of 2.

I have a feeling that, in the end, Killzone 2 will be the one which is remembered. It's the one where I feel like Guerilla was the most passionate about what they were doing.

Having said all that, I hoped Guerilla changes things up for the fourth instalment. They are working within an absolutely amazing universe packed with detail and intrigue, but to my mind they haven't capitalised on it yet. I want a Helghast civil war game, or an espionage-themed take on the franchise... I'm open to be surprised.
Yeah I get what your saying although KZ3 is a lot more refined. I really feel that they have their gameplay nailed on now and from here on can simply add rather than change.

If you've finished the SP then
Helghan got nuked so I'm hoping, for the next Killzone, that we get to either go back to Vekta or another planet gets involved. I feel that two games on Helghan is enough an I'd really really love to see them try some more realistic environments rather than alien.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Finished the campaign.

Brief impressions (wall of black!):
Story was very simplistic, but I can appreciate that they did not go all out and try to be so convoluted that you had no idea what was happening (Modern Warfare 2). They could have really made it feel like you were alone on the planet a bit more, towards the end when Rico said "60 guys, that's it?" I laughed because you never really get that feeling.

The end boss was meh, I will say that it was 1000x better than having to fight waves of enemies and then Radec. I got frustrated once or twice because I couldn't figure out if the rockets or the machine gun was better to use when flying the ship and died 4 or 5 times. Game wasn't too hard other than a few select moments.

Graphics and environments were phenomenal. Every location had its own look and feel, and I loved the smoke and fog effects along with the explosions.

Your allies (mainly Rico) was much better this game. There are still issues though because there were many times when he would just hide behind a wall and not shoot anyone at all. I only had him unable to reach me while down a few times, but those times were dub as he was literally a foot from me.

The ending was very abrupt. I know there is a sequel coming, but then again it did not really set anything up. Besides them opening the pod and someone stepping out, there was really no hint of what there is left to do, as you just wiped out most of the planet (or so we think)

Overall it was a fun action-y romp through the planet. The story was very simple, yet I can respect it for not getting convoluted. The gameplay mechanics all worked fine, and the vehicle sections offered a nice break in the action, even if the difficulty of those parts was scaled up a bit more than they should have been. If I had to rate the game it would be around an 8.0, if they could get a great story and fix some difficulty issues it would be amazing.

I'm starting to think the ending credits bit
is about Stahl not some Visari body double (although thats a really cool theory). There's a point after the datacenter breakout where Stahl is uploading the battle plans when he has this Aha! moment while watching the display of the Earth, Moon and Sun. Just before he barks for his idiot guards to get his fleet prepared. They never did explain what he was thinking there, or did they and I just missed it? Hardly seems like the kind of thing to just leave unexplained.

Zen said:
Well we only hear his daughter a few times in the game. Once communicating to the argus unit that Sev and Rico impersonate, and she also is heard as a PA for Stahl arms. Either they ran out of development time to give her a meaningful role or she's just being setup for future games.

but to actually answer your question, the consensus seems to be that it's Stahl, having survived the nuke in some nearby bunker safe rome like compartment of his ship.

Some people are hoping that it's actually Visari.

I can't help but think that the Visari double theory wouldn't make much sense given
that if that were the case, why would the real visari keep himself hidden away even 6 months after the invasion fails. Why would someone say 'Sir you have to move, the ISA are coming' in the CG cutscene to the double, if it was in fact a double for the entire duration of the CG.

Maybe they got the real Visari out of there and the double stood in for him to be captured.... but ultimately killed which wans't what they were expecting.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
there is a little demon on the cover if you split/mirror it
ilIKqG.jpg

WAHHH

Had a hilariously bad warzone earlier.

My entire team was full of campers so I was going after the objectives myself. I was getting shot to peices as they were camping too. It was brain melting.

Cruzader

Banned
WTF did I just beat this game?

scene where you in space and nuke Stahls ship thing? Helghan turns green from nuclear explosion and someone arrives, after the small credits

If so this game had a worse campaign than COD games ffs. Love kz universe but WTF.

RedSwirl

Even if this game is basically Call of Duty in space (and a pretty good rip-off at that), I don't really care because of how god damned beautiful it is.

daevv

erlim said:
To stop my Killzone and GG bashing for moment, I would like to take a moment again to praise GG's art. I wish they'd put out an artbook like they did for Uncharted 2.

A sweet art book came with my Helghast edition!

Finished it on Elite today and had more fun than on Casual. I had to actually stay back in some places and shoot from a distance instead of charging in and knifing everyone. :)

~d

:lol: at NeoGAF overreacting..I've put around 3 hours into the SP campaign, playing it with Move and Sharpshooter, and I'm enjoying it a lot. And the Move control is surprisingly good, one of the best features of the game.

Vasilisk said:
:lol: at NeoGAF overreacting..I've put around 3 hours into the SP campaign, playing it with Move and Sharpshooter, and I'm enjoying it a lot. And the Move control is surprisingly good, one of the best features of the game.

SP campaign starts off awesome and yes, move controls are indeed awesome. Message back when you finish the campaign cause it's pretty rushed up at the end.

I love the game but the story and scenario and dialogue was just total bullshit.

Best opening scene for a shooter, by far though!

I love the feel of the KZ universe I just hope GG finds the time to create likeable characters who aren't necessarily stuck with military hoo-rah missions and banter. I got so sick of hearing:

Narville: "Go here and do this"
Rico: "But it'd be better if we did this"
Narville: "Just listen to me, motherfucker"
Rico: "Fine, let's do this"

Rico: "Le's go do this instead"
Sev: "But that's not our orders"
Rico: "Grr, fine"
*Something blows up, distracting their pea-brained selves*
Rico: "Shit, I'm going to do this instead"
Sev: "Grr, fine"

I should spoiler that, huh? Because it's seriously EVERY plot point in the game.

Zen said:
A lot of people don't even realize that TSP exist frankly, future patches need to help guide players towards teamwork. The most obvious inclusion of a medic specific icon on the map has already been covered, but there needs to be a greater emphasis on TSP on the overhead map when you're at the spawn menu, I've heard people with plenty of unlock points not even realizing that you can spawn somewhere besides the main base.

Yeah, I can tell this might be happening quite a bit, as I'll yell over and over for ANY engineer on the team to please spawn at the TS to fix the ammo dump while I'm holding the spawn as a tactician and running out of ammo fast…yet none ever come.

I know it took me a few deaths in my first game in the beta to realize you could switch spawn points…(probably cuz nobody had captured any yet) but considering there's a big menu item that says "spawn point" in the load-out screen before you re-spawn, you'd think they would get the hint.

X-Frame

You'd think right? But you'd be wrong.

In fact, each day that I've played so far I've heard chatter over the comms of people being surprised that they realized they can spawn somewhere closer.

All you need to do is be on a team that has the majority of the TSP's and yet there's still people constantly spawning back at home base even though there's no reason to.

Top Bottom