• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

VERY happy to see this game gets a LOT better from the
jungle
part on (like many people have said).
That level is great, and everything after it so far is fucking great too.

From slight dissapointment in several areas, i now have to say that it's the most immersive shooter on consoles imo. But there is room for improvement so take all the time for Killzone 4.
And don't forget to stay a bit more true to your dutch and european roots Guerilla.

Thrakier

nib95 said:
Omg I just did something awesome I've never done. Lob a proximity mine on to one of your allies and let him run in to battle with it stuck on to him! Got a few kills with it LOL.

LOL! Got to test it!

Playing with Randoms, I have never noticed any issue with not capturing spawns at all.

Love the MP for the most part outside of a few little issues that can be ironed out, the only major issue is the crappy maps.

Finished single player the other night. Awesome game. I liked it from the start. I think the only parts I didn't really enjoy was the
snow speeder
section and
blowing the missiles up
at the end. But there was some great set pieces and the
huge digger thing and shooting down that big mech
we're rather epic.

Personally thought the campaign was a good length. I counted up about 5 hrs gameplay time (not including cutscenes (I assume)) but it felt more like 7/8 hours. Normally I'd scoff at such a pityful length but like I said, it felt longer than it did and it was great quality throughout.

I'm tucking into multi which I'm enjoying... probably until people start unlocking missle launchers again. Though it's tough going. I get some good games going and had a nice session where I was coming top a lot in Guerilla Warfare but mostly I'm shit and my KDR is abysmal. But I do tend to thrown myself into the action lol

But the let down for me is no stats in single player, nothing to find/hidden emblems etc and the leaderboards for multi don't seem anywhere near in depth as the 2nd. I mean I haven't been able to see how I rank in the whole world for instance... unless I'm missing something.

So about the crappy ending:
Besides the abruptness to it, the whole fact that it pretty much was a big accident "oops we killed a planet", just makes it worse. Where the heck are they gonna go from there? Obviously hope they didn't expect this to be some kind of end of a trilogy or some nonsense like that. What threat can the Helghast possess now? Assume theres still quite a few ships in the fleet that are in space and I believe there was some other planets/moons in the fluff that was under their control right? They can't just write out the Helghast from the franchise. When Visari died in 2 he warned about what was going to happen without him controlling his people and we see this in 3 with the power struggles and the attempt of genocide on Earth, yet this backfires. Is there supposed to be enough Higs lefts somewhere to even pose a threat to the Vectans or Earth anymore? Or will they use the ending and have some crazy mutant Helghast population be born lol

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Thrakier said:
LOL! Got to test it!
Do it. I did it to one of my teammates last night accidentally, saw him take up a defensive position near a doorway, enemy walks in, boom, I get the kill, and all I could see was my teammate just frozen. I about hit the floor laughing.

On a completely different note, I have to give TTP a lot of credit for inspiring me to play with the Move. Now, I can't play KZ3 any other way. Once it clicks, like he said, you never want to go back. I saw an immediate improvement in the way I play both in accuracy as well as movement. Like many of said, KZ3 is not meant to be played like COD or most other shooters. As an Engineer, I am making my movements more methodical and less run and gun. I rarely use the sprint. And with Move, my abiltity to take people down much more accurately gives me more opportunities to do my jobs. The only area I dislike the Move controls is with melee. I still lose out most of the time there. But other than that (and I am improving) I can't see myself ever playing KZ3 any other way. Now, if only KZ2 could get a patch.....yeah, it won't happen.

Cornbread78

Has anyone heard when they are dropping the next patch to fix all the clan stuff and some of the gameplay glitches?

I hope the initial hate has subsided a little bit, the game is still frantic and a lot of fun. I just started SP and it is pretty fun so far as well. I heard this is a pretty easy platinum as well, is that true?

DenogginizerOS

commish said:
Any new videos of Move users inMP? Curious to see how they do on full game...
I don't have any videos, but I have to say my MP experience with Move has been exceptional. I actually got a lot better going from DS3 to Move. Like I said, I think Move controls somewhat force you to play KZ3 closer to the way it is meant to be played and less like COD or other shooters. I am actually quite excited now about SOCOM 4.

Cornbread78

commish said:
Any new videos of Move users inMP? Curious to see how they do on full game...

My buddy used it over the weekend and now swears by the MOVE for online MP now. He set his deadzone to "0" and after a few rounds of play, he adjusted to it, he had many 50+ kill games. He was good to begin with, now he's just ridiculas....

Facism

nib95 said:
Omg I just did something awesome I've never done. Lob a proximity mine on to one of your allies and let him run in to battle with it stuck on to him! Got a few kills with it LOL.

i've been doing that to friendly infiltrators since the gaem came out. Even funnier when you steal their melee kill with them :D

[edit] they need a non-move playlist. I know when i've been killed by a mover and it feels so cheap. Such a massive advantage.

Wickwire

I had an all weekend and monday marathon of KZ3!. I loved it. Nowhere near as hard as 2 was single player. I have to see how elite is going to feel. I was a bit dissapointed in the ending. It felt rather anticlimatic. The game had a lot of on-rails scenes that kind of felt like they added them just for Move. I enjoyed them but they just stood out.

MP is fun as shit. I love warzone. Played the Market stage no stop. I think this is the best stage out the bunch.

Finally...please kill off Rico. He is beyond annoying. The worst NPC I have ever delt with in a game. They seemed to toned him down abit in 3 but hes still god awful.

nib95

Banned
Some of you guys are an absolute bunch of dram queens. Supposedly Turbine Concourse is supposed to look like crap now? Imo it looks better. Still has the awesome turbine emitting the green stuff but this time the entire map doesn't look like it's been nuked green ala Phyrus. Anyway, I think it may even look better, only problem is the frame rate. It does indeed run like crap. There's just too much going on imo. Still great fun to play mind.

DenogginizerOS

Facism said:
i've been doing that to friendly infiltrators since the gaem came out. Even funnier when you steal their melee kill with them :D

[edit] they need a non-move playlist. I know when i've been killed by a mover and it feels so cheap. Such a massive advantage.
Don't resist. Join the movement.

Thrakier

nib95 said:
Some of you guys are an absolute bunch of dram queens. Supposedly Turbine Concourse is supposed to look like crap now? Imo it looks better. Still has the awesome turbine emitting the green stuff but this time the entire map doesn't look like it's been nuked green ala Phyrus. Anyway, I think it may even look better, only problem is the frame rate. It does indeed run like crap. There's just too much going on imo. Still great fun to play mind.

Worst framerate offender is Snowdrift imo.

nib95

Banned
Thrakier said:
Worst framerate offender is Snowdrift imo.

So so fun though. Massively unbalanced mind. Heghast clearly have an advantage. As an ISA being spawned constantly in the bowels of the level getting sniped from above, not fun when that happens :(

Also these lock ups are ridiculous. It's the main reason I don't play Warzone. Playing for so long then having the game freeze on you for you to lose all your earnings, BS.

nib95 said:

I think the MP maps look fine and really good at times outside of some overly high contrast in daylight. The maps though just suck gameplay wise.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Facism said:

I've gotta say I have come to a point where whenever I get face to face with one (or more) opponent and we start strafing & shooting at each other, I don't wonder who's gonna come out alive, but just how much it's gonna take for the enemy to go down :D

It's so easy to keep the cursor on the enemy while strafing in any direction. I can imagine the other guy tapping the stick furiously in an attempt to keep the crosshairs on me. Possibly even switching between aiming modes in the process :p

On this note, I was thinking about another Move advantage. In situations like the one described above, strafing with the DS3 is performed for evasion AND aim tuning. Because of this, if you have the enemy to the right of the crosshair and you want to fine tune the aim, you have to strafe to the right. So you are sort of limited in your movement options. Say you have got a cover to your left, for example. The need to strafe to the right forces you to get farther away from it. With the Move, you can strafe in any direction since aiming doesn't need much "strafe-based" fine tuning. So if an enemy is to the right of the cursor and a cover to your left, you can easily strafe left while still filling your target with bullets. This is harder to do by rotating the camera to the right with the right stick while strafing to the left with the left stick.

DenogginizerOS

One other Move comment: pulling off headshots from cover has never been more satisfying. When you get position on someone, go into zoom mode, put the sites on the head, and actually have to steady your hands like a real gun, the feeling of seeing your effort pay off precisely as you see it on screen is fantastic. I was using the silenced rifle (the 82) as a medic last night on Turbine and was sniping snipers off the Turbine platform. Hearing the death jingle accompanied by a headshot splatter is, dare I say it, delicious.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DenogginizerOS said:
One other Move comment: pulling off headshots from cover has never been more satisfying. When you get position on someone, go into zoom mode, put the sites on the head, and actually have to steady your hands like a real gun, the feeling of seeing your effort pay off precisely as you see it on screen is fantastic. I was using the silenced rifle (the 82) as a medic last night on Turbine and was sniping snipers off the Turbine platform. Hearing the death jingle accompanied by a headshot splatter is, dare I say it, delicious.

True that. It's not just a matter of precision, but of overall satisfaction.

Perhaps this is due to some sort of novelty effect, but for the time being the reason I can't switch to the DS3 is not the fear to underperform, but the simple fact that's less fun/rewarding.

nib95 said:
It's not too sharp, it's as sharp as other games should be. The reason it probably looks too sharp is because of artificial sharpening on your screen. Turn sharpness all the way down or completely off (as should always be the case). Yes, some edge sharpening may be good on most console games, because of the blur, lower resolutions or less detailed textures, but Killzone 3 is not one of those games. It actually does things right. I wish all games were like this so I could leave my sharpness at -15 on my Kuro like I do with Blu-rays and a few of the other true 720p tac sharp games.

That definitely makes sense, so I'll give it a shot. Grazie!

DenogginizerOS

TTP said:

Perhaps this is due to some sort of novelty effect, but for the time being the reason I can't switch to the DS3 is not the fear to underperform, but the simple fact that's less fun/rewarding.
Exactly. Playing both SP and MP with Move has become an addictive experience. I actually just ordered a SharpShooter from amazon.com using the $20 credit they gave me for ordering KZ3. I may not like it, but I have to try it.

-viper-

Banned
mickcenary said:
That definitely makes sense, so I'll give it a shot. Grazie!
yeah when playing the demo I set the sharpness of my TV to zero. With all other games, I leave it on 20. KZ3 looked far better with zero sharpness and the jaggies were reduced to none.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
So I finished the SP campaign... which resulted, I believe, in a headache. 10 minutes later I was puking my guts out. Well, my guess is that it was the single player campaign or it could have been something I ate. My guess is still on the former.

MP was also ruined by my foolishly activating the Retro Pack I got from my pre-order. It unlocked all weapons and skills for 24 hours. Which made it impossible to play for 24 hours so I've been away from that scene and scored 2 platinums (yay, me!) but now I'm back. Will be on later today. :)

jorma

is now taking requests
Facism said:

Doesnt that kill the friendly infiltrator as well though? I know i sometimes get killed by my own proximity mine when someone triggers it at the wrong time...

DenogginizerOS

jorma said:
Doesnt that kill the friendly infiltrator as well though? I know i sometimes get killed by my own proximity mine when someone triggers it at the wrong time...
I am not sure. The guy I tagged didn't die, but he may have been injured. I think he loosened the cap on the guy I received credit for taking out.

Leunam

Man this game is pretty. Everything else about the campaign is ass (dialogue, sound maybe) but things are pretty to look at.

Operations mode is where its at for me. It forces people to go for the objectives instead of standing around. Its a shame there are only three maps that have the mode on it.

The problem now is that if they release a DLC pack that does Operations, those maps will hardly ever be played.

Had three or four good rounds of it earlier on. Its quite strange for me. With a Dualshock my preferred class is Infiltrator because of the shotgun. With Move it is the engineer. The shotgun just doesn't feel right to me using Move.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Facism said:

and before this, people were saying that DS3 users will destroy MOVE users.

Pretty funny now that you think about it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
lol at the 'pixel rape' comment. It's confirmed, KZ3 visuals too good for simple human eyes, graphics progress can stop now before we all go blind.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I can't be the only one who thought the jungle level looked hideous, can I?

I understand a Helghan jungle shouldn't be lush and beautiful, but my god, it's like Guerilla dabbled random colors everywhere just because they could. And those low-res leaves and grass... fuck, it turned out to be a mess for the most part.

Thrakier

TTP said:

What I dislike is about move is that everything looks much more gamey. With DSIII because of the smoother movement and the gun which isn't constantly waving around the screen, it looks more movie like. So, add the yellow crosshair and I have to say I like the DSIII much more from a presentation standpoint.

I hate it when I only see half of that awesome gunmodel and it feels as light as a waterpistol. Deactive rumble for more precision and the problem gets even worse...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
bobbytkc said:
and before this, people were saying that DS3 users will destroy MOVE users.

Pretty funny now that you think about it.

Well, I still haven't seen any videos :) I want a few videos of uncut warzone matches. I already know (and experienced firsthand with my own Move) that aiming is a lot easier, but so much of the game depends on quick movements, the Move was just too hard for me to move with. I need to be inspired to keep practicing with the Move.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
KingOfKong said:
the level was gorgeous.

I guess I was just off-put by the random blots of color everywhere. I also hated the low-res grass textures.

I don't know, just in terms of art direction I thought the level was quite ugly.

ultron87

Few things are more infuriating than being a tactician on Turbine with an incompetent team.

I'd love to go capture a spawn point for you guys, but you keep grabbing the jetpacks to go snipe for a minute and then get killed.

I don't suppose there is some hidden way up to the two high TSPs that you can do on foot?

commish said:
Well, I still haven't seen any videos :) I want a few videos of uncut warzone matches. I already know (and experienced firsthand with my own Move) that aiming is a lot easier, but so much of the game depends on quick movements, the Move was just too hard for me to move with. I need to be inspired to keep practicing with the Move.

I've changed my gameplay to suit the Move. I can now take a lot more cover behind walls/objects and still get my reticle on an enemy. Its a lot easier to kill from a distance too. Like I mentioned above, I was an infiltrator with DS3 but because the Move is awkward at close range, I've now switched to being an engineer and I find it a lot easier to be effective in helping achieved the objectives.

thuway

MrOogieBoogie said:
I guess I was just off-put by the random blots of color everywhere. I also hated the low-res grass textures.

I don't know, just in terms of art direction I thought the level was quite ugly.

I have to disagree man. The game is the best looking / technical showpiece on consoles. Bar none. The jungle was insane looking. There are other shooters out there that can fill the void your asking for though. Killzone and its art just don't suit your tastes :).

Guerilla if your reading this- as a fan of your games; please take time on Killzone 4.

Killzone 4 does not have to launch on PS3. The IP needs some time for fresh ideas, and overhauls. We can all wait.

commish

ultron87 said:
Few things are more infuriating than being a tactician on Turbine with an incompetent team.

I'd love to go capture a spawn point for you guys, but you keep grabbing the jetpacks to go snipe for a minute and then get killed.

I don't suppose there is some hidden way up to the two high TSPs that you can do on foot?

Yeah, I've been complaining about this since the game launched. Why oh why do people grab a jetpack and then snipe or, just as bad, never actually use the jetpack?! On this map, it's so vital to get the TSPs that are accessible by jetpack only, yet the hardest part about getting those TSPs is my own damn team.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
commish said:

I guess you have already seen the last part of my vid right?

commish

TTP said:
I guess you have already seen the last part of my vid right?

Yeah, your vids are awesome :) But I just want to see how move people handle doing the objectives on some of the other maps. I just can't get the hang of it.

thuway said:
I have to disagree man. The game is the best looking / technical showpiece on consoles. Bar none. The jungle was insane looking. There are other shooters out there that can fill the void your asking for though. Killzone and its art just don't suit your tastes :).

Guerilla if your reading this- as a fan of your games; please take time on Killzone 4.

Killzone 4 does not have to launch on PS3. The IP needs some time for fresh ideas, and overhauls. We can all wait.

I think a major reason we are seeing so many 1st and 2nd party games coming out this year and early next year is that they will begin using new hardware and building new games on a new system. Its just a hunch but I think a pretty solid one. Next year's E3 should be interesting.

commish said:
Yeah, your vids are awesome :) But I just want to see how move people handle doing the objectives on some of the other maps. I just can't get the hang of it.

I am back and forth with it right now. One thing I can say is that I am much much better at tracking people. If you are in my line of sight I feel I have an advantage. Its just the moving about that gets me sometimes. I have issues with finding a constant turning speed. I either turn too fast or too slow. I think that will dissipate with some tweaking and practice but turning and melee are definitely my weak points right now.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I really like playing with Move over DS3... I did have to get used to it after a few hours of DS3 usage, and my k/d has suffered, but since I don't really care about that, it wasn't too big of a deal to me... I moreso was worried about getting killed while trying to protect an objective or complete one when I wouldn't with DS3, but that's all water under the bridge now... Move support is amazing for this game, and it'll be really hard to go back.

Top Bottom