• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

NHale

BattleMonkey said:
So about the crappy ending:
Besides the abruptness to it, the whole fact that it pretty much was a big accident "oops we killed a planet", just makes it worse. Where the heck are they gonna go from there? Obviously hope they didn't expect this to be some kind of end of a trilogy or some nonsense like that. What threat can the Helghast possess now? Assume theres still quite a few ships in the fleet that are in space and I believe there was some other planets/moons in the fluff that was under their control right? They can't just write out the Helghast from the franchise. When Visari died in 2 he warned about what was going to happen without him controlling his people and we see this in 3 with the power struggles and the attempt of genocide on Earth, yet this backfires. Is there supposed to be enough Higs lefts somewhere to even pose a threat to the Vectans or Earth anymore? Or will they use the ending and have some crazy mutant Helghast population be born lol

Did you see the scene between the credits? Not everyone died on Helghan and someone came back to the planet inside a vault. It's probably Scolar Visari, because you can see a mural with him, Radec, Stahl and someone that looks exactly like Visari. Then in the opening credits you see his daughter pulling the hand when she looks at him because she noticed the eye color is different (as you can see in the last scene of the opening cutscene). Yeah it sounds a little forced but it's pretty obvious that Visari is alive.

distrbnce

Banned
I just want to share these, for anyone that hasn't found that sweet spot with Move calibration yet. Originally shared by cjtiger300, it feels perfect to me.

KILLZONE 3 MOTION CONTROLLER SETTINGS
10% Deadzone Width
40% Deadzone Height
0% Cursor Sensitivity
50% Turn Speed

Point the Move at the Eye when you calibrate.

And adjust the final sensitivity bar so that you can span the width of the screen in a comfortable range of motion... where your hand will comfortable move left and right.

Lan_97

0% Deadzone Width
0% Deadzone Height
10% Cursor Sensitivity
100% Turn Speed

This was my preference throughout the single player campaign. I was trying to get it to feel as fluid as Metroid Prime controls, but even at 0%, there is still some dead zone.

It would be nice to be able to set the horizontal and vertical turn speeds. I need to cover more ground when turning left and right than I do looking up and down.

A view lock would be great too. For example a partial depress of L2 could lock your view, and a full depress would bring up the sights as usual.

I cannot even begin to think about what they wanted to achieve with that ending. This is the 3rd game in the series (excluding Liberation). You do not make cliffhangers like that this far in the series.

george_us

MrOogieBoogie said:
I can't be the only one who thought the jungle level looked hideous, can I?

I understand a Helghan jungle shouldn't be lush and beautiful, but my god, it's like Guerilla dabbled random colors everywhere just because they could. And those low-res leaves and grass... fuck, it turned out to be a mess for the most part.
I also wasn't too fond of the jungle. It hurt my eyes after awhile because of all the contrasting colors.

Halcyon

I can't decide what other class to put my unlocks into. I play fully unlocked medic all the time and I love my guns, bot, and triage skills.

I refuse to play marksman, and I think tactician is probably the most useful but I keep seeing everyone complaining that nobody helps with the spawnpoints.

Engineer looks fun but it seems all they do is fix the ammo boxes.

Im leaning toward the infiltrator for their continual sprint, but then id be forced to melee alot and its garbage on the move.

What's everyone having the best time with?

Bergsy

New IP, then killzone 4.

visari lives maybe, his daughter pulled her hand away in the opening video, maybe it was a double and she knew?
straw clutching i know but i hate cliff hangers!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
HalcyonTB12 said:
I can't decide what other class to put my unlocks into. I play fully unlocked medic all the time and I love my guns, bot, and triage skills.

I refuse to play marksman, and I think tactician is probably the most useful but I keep seeing everyone complaining that nobody helps with the spawnpoints.

Engineer looks fun but it seems all they do is fix the ammo boxes.

Im leaning toward the infiltrator for their continual sprint, but then id be forced to melee alot and its garbage on the move.

What's everyone having the best time with?

With the move, you'd probably clean up with the Tactician's m82. That gun is uber.

Animator

A lot of the problems with MP would be fixed if every level had twice the spawnpoints it has right now.

The boulevard level has some of the WORST spawn placement I have ever seen. One tac spawn right in front of the base but nowhere in the middle of the map or anywhere else. You lose one and good fucking luck getting it back with the 5 second respawn and spawn invincibility.

Bergsy

commish said:
With the move, you'd probably clean up with the Tactician's m82. That gun is uber.

This is correct, you own with the m82 and move, ive had to have a break though, sharpshooter is giving me a dead arm lol.

ultron87

People, spoiler shit properly.

Spoiler the whole sentence. Not just a noun that would be incredibly easy to fill in by any intelligent
person

Cruzader

Banned
NHale said:
Did you see the scene between the credits? Not everyone died on Helghan and someone came back to the planet inside a vault. It's probably Scolar Visari, because you can see a mural with him, Radec, Stahl and someone that looks exactly like Visari. Then in the opening credits you see his daughter pulling the hand when she looks at him because she noticed the eye color is different (as you can see in the last scene of the opening cutscene). Yeah it sounds a little forced but it's pretty obvious that Visari is alive.
Wtf if thats true, thats gangsta. I always wondered why the intro is like that. But does that mean Helghans knew this or was it secret to a select few?

Rikyfree

In KZ 4, have it start off with Sev talking, then BAM you're playing as Luger for the whole game! You know you want it.
@Cruzader- Just Visari, Radec and his guards. Hence why
Radec Killed himself. He knew they would get him to talk, so he offed himself, same with the guards killing themselves so his secret is safe.

Galvanise_ said:
Well, that IS what we'll be getting next. GG's other studio are working on it.

Whatever the main team does next, I really hope they'll actually polish it. The state in which KZ3 shipped is unacceptable for a title that wants AAA, 90+ meta rating. Not to mention "PS3 flagship shooter" title.

Negaiido

Could we please have the upcoming (current) patch notes in OP?
I'm wondering atm what they will fix, what I am hoping for is to get stability fixes because the freezes and crashes are on the top of my shouldbefixed list.

NHale said:

What? There was a scene "between" the credits? I walked away for a little bit as the credits were going and came back to watch them and see if there was anything after the credits but it went straight to the menu screen after credits.

Bergsy

BattleMonkey said:
What? There was a scene "between" the credits? I walked away for a little bit as the credits were going and came back to watch them and see if there was anything after the credits but it went straight to the menu screen after credits.

The scene is between the awesome styled credits and the boring usual roll up the screen credits

Halcyon

commish said:
Im gonna play tact a bit tonight then. I love the silenced m82 that the medic gets so im used to it. Wanna see how different it is to just be able to unload a clip into stuff.

Chuckie

Just played some warzone. Don't they have fucking team-balancing anymore? It was 4 Helghast against fucking 12 ISA... what the fuck is up with that???

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
BattleMonkey said:

that is Rule #1 at the credits of a game/movie. Always wait.

Dibbz

alr1ghtstart said:
Yup even trailers pull that shit these days. How many times have you seen a trailer and it says something like "Coming 2011" and them bam they show one little clip at the very end.

Regarding the intro can someone explain
when Stahll and Radec shoot that Heghast soldier and that ship takes off, why is there an ISA, what looks to be, bomb strapped to it?

Dibbz said:
Yup even trailers pull that shit these days. How many times have you seen a trailer and it says something like "Coming 2011" and them bam they show one little clip at the very end.

when Stahll and Radec shoot that Heghast soldier and that ship takes off, why is there an ISA, what looks to be, bomb strapped to it?

We don't technically know when that took place. That ship could have been taking the real Visari away, killing the soldier as he knew the secret. The ship itself had ISA insignia on it, I believe.

Personally, I think Radec and Stahl knew the secret and Orlock didn't.

Bergsy

Dibbz said:

Thats the nuke visari used to bomb part of Helghan.

The KZ3 160gb bundle might be too good to pass up. Not neccesarily KZ3 alone selling me on a PS3 but all the other games I've missed incl. KZ2, Uncharted 2, Infamous etc..
I'm going to play the KZ's out of order, is that a big deal GAF?

Dibbz

Bergsy said:
Yeah but how did he get it? It seems to me that the Intro of KZ3 takes place before KZ2 as you hear him give a speech similar that starts the same as the one he gave in KZ2.

It's frustrating that the actual intro to the game has more actual story than the entire game :|

alr1ghtstart said:

Usually the shit happens after the credits, not in the middle of them. I walked away for a soda and came back to watch the rest of the credits hoping for something at the end since it usually happens after.

Dibbz said:
Yeah but how did he get it? It seems to me that the Intro of KZ3 takes place before KZ2 as you hear him give a speech similar that starts the same as the one he gave in KZ2.

It's frustrating that the actual intro to the game has more actual story than the entire game :|

I doubt it was really an ISA bomb. The whole thing looked like they were just trying to make it seem like the ISA nuked the capital, the whole thing was probably a fake or somehow stolen.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
CitizenCope said:
The KZ3 160gb bundle might be too good to pass up. Not neccesarily KZ3 alone selling me on a PS3 but all the other games I've missed incl. KZ2, Uncharted 2, Infamous etc..

KZ3 is a direct continuation of KZ2, fwiw.

Some minor issues with move and singleplayer: why does the shotgun auto-reload after each shot?

I have the pump-action thing, let me use it, just for singleplayer.

Erasus

CitizenCope said:

KZ2 is cheap. Buy/Rent that first. Its also an awesome game.

Erasus said:
KZ2 is cheap. Buy/Rent that first. Its also an awesome game.
Ugh. Just a bad week for me to even pick up a PS3 but at the same time the stars are aligning. Don't know if I can pull off a game also. Hey it might be interesting wondering how the hell I got to the events of KZ3.

Bergsy said:

It does have a little nuclear logo on it, but it makes you wonder why Stahl and Radec were happy to be so close to it!

I think it has to be Visari that's back, really. I don't think anyone else has the impact worthy of it - who cares if it's Stahl back? He wasn't important enough, even with Orlok dead.

Mr.Green

-COOLIO- said:
so how is the move/analog battle going? any clear winner online?

I haven't played MP yet so feel free to ignore the rest of my post but from my experience so far in SP I can echo what others have been saying. From medium to long range: advantage Move. From short range: advantage DS3. Overall, I'd say once you get used to it, Move probably is an advantage.

For what it's worth, I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would and I wouldn't go back.

pixelbox

Dibbz said:

I believe he got it in KZ:L

Carl

Managed to have a few hours of pretty decent games tonight, without even a single network error. Wow. People in them actually went for objectives sometimes too!

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So what are your guys' honest impressions of the game after having spent considerable time with it now?

Maybe my memory is clouded, but I feel like Killzone 2 was a much more compact game, in terms of presentation and gameplay. I don't remember ever feeling like the cover system was broken, nor did I feel like the hit detection was off, two issues I have with Killzone 3. I also don't remember any jarring cutscenes in Killzone 2, whereas they're a dime a dozen in the third game. Can some of you refresh my memory here?

Also, I loved the bleak, oppressive atmosphere of the second game. Really gave it a unique vibe, I think.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the multiplayer. I was immediately hooked by Killzone 2 online; however, I'm struggling to find any redeeming qualities for Killzone 3. The maps, for the most part, seem dull, unbalanced, and uninspired. And I feel like they're TOO open; where are the epic corridor fights from the second game that made you feel like you really were part of a team?

I don't know... this game seems more disjointed than fucking Gran Turismo 5 at launch.

lunlunqq

The most important thing they should have done to fix the MP is to CAP all game modes at 16-player max. The frame rates of the current full warzone games are so bad; they are just unplayable. If your engine cannot handle this many players, don't do it! If you absolutely have to support more players, reduce your gfx. A smooth frame rate is the most important thing of an online shooter. Whoever green lighted the MP to be released like this should be fired.

How long did it take for the KZ2 thread to reach 4 million views?

Was that the most viewed thread ever? I don't remember seeing any other thread that larg. Heck some TV shows don't even get that number lol. =p

Top Bottom