• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

MrOogieBoogie said:
So what are your guys' honest impressions of the game after having spent considerable time with it now?

Maybe my memory is clouded, but I feel like Killzone 2 was a much more compact game, in terms of presentation and gameplay. I don't remember ever feeling like the cover system was broken, nor did I feel like the hit detection was off, two issues I have with Killzone 3. I also don't remember any jarring cutscenes in Killzone 2, whereas they're a dime a dozen in the third game. Can some of you refresh my memory here?

Also, I loved the bleak, oppressive atmosphere of the second game. Really gave it a unique vibe, I think.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the multiplayer. I was immediately hooked by Killzone 2 online; however, I'm struggling to find any redeeming qualities for Killzone 3. The maps, for the most part, seem dull, unbalanced, and uninspired. And I feel like they're TOO open; where are the epic corridor fights from the second game that made you feel like you really were part of a team?

I don't know... this game seems more disjointed than fucking Gran Turismo 5 at launch.

KZ3 singleplayer has some story issues, is just an overall superior experience. More varied gameplay, some more impressive set pieces, at least an attempt at having a story this time out.

There is much more weapon variety in the gameplay in the SP, while in KZ2 they did a shitty job of presenting you with unique weapons as you only had enough ammo for a few shots and it only lasted for a short period of time, KZ3 at least lets you really make use of a variety of firepower for much more varied experience. KZ1 and KZ2 were dark and bleak, it is perfect ok to change things up and seriously people exaggerate as the game didn't suddenly become sunshine and rainbows, it still is a dark and oppressive atmosphere overall, but with more exploration of actual terrain other than dank urban war torn. KZ1 even gave us a fairly large variety of gameplay setting compared to KZ2, including snow, swamps, parks, malls, etc.

Also the cover system in KZ2 was pretty much useless and a player really never needed to make use of it. KZ3 shows that it was more designed with cover mechanics in mind in it's level designs and the controls for cover are much more well thought out this time out along with nice features such as sliding into cover. Cover in KZ2 felt like an afterthought meant to be a bullet point as a "unique game feature", while it actually is much more integral this time out.

Story wise things are a bit of a mess with some sloppy editing and possibly rushed aspects, it is obviously the weakest part of the SP which overall is a great fun ride. Give them props for attempting a narrative this time out as KZ2 was awful in the story department and a step down from the story telling of KZ1.

MP has lot of improvements to the game structure, but the maps do suck so far which is the worst part. KZ2 had some good maps but for the most part all of KZ3 maps suck. KZ2 maps with KZ3 online setup would make for such a better game sadly.

CozMick

Banned
I use Move exclusively in multiplayer and have never used the dual shock 3.

My overall k/dr is 1.68 and my Guerilla Warfare k/dr is 1.90 (after 13hrs of play)

There is a definite advantage when using it properly and once the melee button gets patched then I see no flaws whatsoever.

Oh and just finished the story
Please be the "real" Visari, please be the "real Visari

Great game and Ray Winstone deserves a damn oscar for his role as Orlock, fantastic performance.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MrOogieBoogie said:
So what are your guys' honest impressions of the game after having spent considerable time with it now?

Maybe my memory is clouded, but I feel like Killzone 2 was a much more compact game, in terms of presentation and gameplay. I don't remember ever feeling like the cover system was broken, nor did I feel like the hit detection was off, two issues I have with Killzone 3. I also don't remember any jarring cutscenes in Killzone 2, whereas they're a dime a dozen in the third game. Can some of you refresh my memory here?

Also, I loved the bleak, oppressive atmosphere of the second game. Really gave it a unique vibe, I think.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the multiplayer. I was immediately hooked by Killzone 2 online; however, I'm struggling to find any redeeming qualities for Killzone 3. The maps, for the most part, seem dull, unbalanced, and uninspired. And I feel like they're TOO open; where are the epic corridor fights from the second game that made you feel like you really were part of a team?

I don't know... this game seems more disjointed than fucking Gran Turismo 5 at launch.

(MP) KZ3 feels very unfinished and was definitely rushed. It has way less features, requires less skill, and the maps are all pretty terrible. Only having certain maps available for each mode is a stupid decision. Warzone was the baseline mode in KZ2 and all the maps were designed around it. Not so with KZ3. The only thing bringing me back is the fantastic Move implementation.

KZ2 was pretty polished from the start. It wasn't perfect, but alot of the balance issues it had could be fixed with custom games. Dropping player numbers and turning off certain abilities made it much better. They had a good foundation set but scrapped most of it for KZ3.

params7

Banned
Move vs DS3 will be interesting online, initially I thought the control types would get different servers. It does seem like Move will have me advantages over DS3 though when it comes to pure aiming speed? But DS3 may top that with player navigation?

Getting a hold of its MP so far, had over 50 kills with a 1.9 KDR and the top scorer in the last two Warzone games I played. But initially I took a severe beating getting used to all the burst hipfire mechanics this game has that is different from most other shooters. DS3 all the way here.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
"(Lightning icon) Session master not available" flashes up on the screen and everything freezes. My first encounter with buggy MP. :(

DoomGyver

alr1ghtstart said:
Then why even waste the dev time and resources FOR THREE FUCKING MAPS.

o56xb5.gif
o56xb5.gif
o56xb5.gif

Chuckie

Tence said:
Just played some warzone. Don't they have fucking team-balancing anymore? It was 4 Helghast against fucking 12 ISA... what the fuck is up with that???

Anyone same problems?

lastinline said:
Oh gosh... why even put a mode in if you aren't going to continue to support it? I'm glad I never played that mode and started liking it then.

Like R2 and not supporting the coop mode? Was the best part of that game and they ignored it

Boo @ no more Operations maps.

As for the ending,
the soldiers that recovered the pod are bearing the Stahl Arms logo. It's probably just him somehow escaping the nuke. :\

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Can you imagine an Operation mode with no re-spawn?

Imagine each objective to be a round, basically. If one player of the attacking team succeeds, everyone re-spawns for the next objective. If not, end and faction change. Of course stuff like big fat red icons indicating the battery carriers should go away since you need to be stealthy when playing with no-respawn.

params7 said:
Move vs DS3 will be interesting online, initially I thought the control types would get different servers. It does seem like Move will have me advantages over DS3 though when it comes to pure aiming speed? But DS3 may top that with player navigation?

Getting a hold of its MP so far, had over 50 kills with a 1.9 KDR and the top scorer in the last two Warzone games I played. But initially I took a severe beating getting used to all the burst hipfire mechanics this game has that is different from most other shooters. DS3 all the way here.

haha nope! once you get the Move controls dialed, everything about it is an advantage (save for the melee which is getting patched soon)

lastinline said:
Insomniac did release some coop maps, though.

No they didn't, they put out some crappy MP maps but didn't add anything to COOP

Broadbandito said:
So they still haven't fixed the mp yet eh? I've been away from my ps3 at gdc. Im gonna give GG hate looks this week.

Game has been out a week, and what exact is "fixed the mp" supposed to fix exactly?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Tence said:
Anyone same problems?
Yeah, quite frequently the case for me.

Deleting the retro map pack helped a little though. Anything to simplify the equation for their match-making system.

BattleMonkey said:
No they didn't, they put out some crappy MP maps but didn't add anything to COOP
I could have swore that they did. I remember reading that they did, but I didn't buy it cause I had moved on by then. Or maybe I just imagined that...

BattleMonkey said:

Game has been out a week, and what exact is "fixed the mp" supposed to fix exactly?

fix the shitty game it is? Running into wounded bodies is so dumb. The health is still way too low. 1-2 shots from an MG in the body kills people.

I honestly think they would make a SHIT ton of folks happy if they let you make custom ranked rooms again. No rockets, bots, etc. I really haven't found the game to be fun. more annoying then anything.

also most of the maps are not that great. and a real lack of maps too.

DoomGyver

-COOLIO- said:
so how is the move/analog battle going? any clear winner online?
Currently I'm still better with the DS3, what's holding me back is a few additional settings that I hope Guerrilla will add via patch. The first is melee on circle, right now it's just a gesture by thrusting forward with the move, it messes up your view and takes more time to initiate a melee. The other is while ADS your deadzone box is pretty much the whole screen, I would like to have my deadzone boxes the same in hipfire and ADS. Once those two things are tweaked I think the move will be dead even or just a little better than the DS3.

One thing I really like about the move contols is that crouching is mapped to the 'move' button. It just works really well there, better than crouching with the DS3.

G Rom

Sorry for the delay, I didn't have time to post screens yesterday. I hope you'll forgive me after these. :)

5489893348_dc90954c1e_o.jpg

5489297959_f9cd866c33_o.jpg

5489894464_37206e3c23_o.jpg

5489299185_8dd696bb88_o.jpg

5489895932_d45cb44ee0_o.jpg

5489896566_b4ee9a8b6d_o.jpg

5489897022_680d7eee7d_o.jpg

About the brightness/black level. The setting used to capture those screens is the default one. We, at Taxigamer, prefer to always use the default settings when a game has a brightness slider. We feel that the game is supposedly shown the way the developer wants it to look and calibrating around one of our screen would be pointless.

In other news, I've finished the game...
The end just cement what I already said earlier. The awesome graphics and art are wasted on terrible story, cut-scenes and characters. :(

CozMick

Banned
I am absolutely fucking sick of Blood Gracht.

This shit should have been patched day fucking two!

I can't even imagine what people think when playing and don't browse forums.

Blood Gracht
Blood Gracht
Blood Gracht
Blood Gracht
"Hmmm, I'm sure this game shipped with more maps than this"
Blood Gracht
Blood Gracht
Blood Gracht
"Fuck this! *quits server, joins another lobby*
Blood Gracht
Blood Gracht
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this shit! *trades game in*
*Tells friends that Killzone 3 has only one TDM map*
....... GG loses a sale!

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
CozMick said:
I am absolutely fucking sick of Blood Gracht.

This shit should have been patched day fucking two!

I can't even imagine what people think when playing and don't browse forums.

Blood Gracht
Blood Gracht
Blood Gracht
Blood Gracht
"Hmmm, I'm sure this game shipped with more maps than this"
Blood Gracht
Blood Gracht
Blood Gracht
"Fuck this! *quits server, joins another lobby*
Blood Gracht
Blood Gracht
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this shit! *trades game in*
*Tells friends that Killzone 3 has only one TDM map*
....... GG loses a sale!

Does this happen when you DL the retro maps, There is no option to just play the rest only?
I have the code for them but havent DL because I heard there were issues.

A.R.K

G Rom said:
Sorry for the delay, I didn't have time to post screens yesterday. I hope you'll forgive me after these. :)

About the brightness/black level. The setting used to capture those screens is the default one. We, at Taxigamer, prefer to always use the default settings when a game has a brightness slider. We feel that the game is supposedly shown the way the developer wants it to look and calibrating around one of our screen would be pointless.

In other news, I've finished the game...
The end just cement what I already said earlier. The awesome graphics and art are wasted on terrible story, cut-scenes and characters. :(

Fuck this game looks so beautiful in captured screens. When playing you are just too focused on the action and miss how beautiful this game really looks.

On the other hand I think GG just needs some new talent in certain areas to make their game vault over the last bump they keep falling from. I think they have nailed the tech and art department and are really really talented compared to most of the other devs out there. But they can use some new talent for story development and its execution in gameplay, MP map/design (this was not the case for KZ2 as their MP designers were awesome) and definitely in network coding (a game should not have so many networking issues after 2 betas). Also they need more time and less pressure from Sony for their next game. Every new game they are putting new stuff (3D, Move in KZ3's case, new engine/tech in KZ2's case) and then ignoring or doing a poor job in other areas. Just like Insomniac taking their time with R3 (the results are already showing), GG needs to take their time for the next iteration and should not be rushed.

This game is great in so many ways and then a let down in other ways. But GG really deserves a pat on their back for their efforts even under pressure and time constraints.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hellion said:
Has anyone come up against Spawn campers online?

I dealt with it last night in one game and holyshit was it not fun.
welcome to the beauty of tactical spawn points & no squad spawn. :D

CozMick

Banned
MariusElijah said:
Does this happen when you DL the retro maps, There is no option to just play the rest only?
I have the code for them but havent DL because I heard there were issues.

If you download the Retro map pack and you join a Guerilla Warfare server and the map is Blood Gracht there is no voting, you're stuck play this map unless you quit, and even then there's a 90% possibility that the next server will be playing Blood Gracht.

Rocket786

So since I really don't play competitive online modes in games, I figured I'd give out my code to the 3 unlock points and the retro map pack to someone who may not have it.

TH6K-F5N7-K9N6

DoomGyver

A00man said:
So since I really don't play competitive online modes in games, I figured I'd give out my code to the 3 unlock points and the retro map pack to someone who may not have it.

TH6K-F5N7-K9N6
For future reference you can embed the code in [ email] [/email] tags so lurkers can't nab it.

Rocket786

Full Recovery said:
For future reference you can embed the code in [ email] [/email] tags so lurkers can't nab it.

Oops, didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep it in mind next time.

I think this is the most Sony has ever advertised a game. It was plastered all over UFC 127 and I see commercials for it all the fucking time, it's getting annoying now to be honest.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
One huge thing that makes me angry that I found last night was that there are invisible walls around every item. I was trying to snipe while peeking out around a barrel and was aiming 6" to the left of it and was still hitting an invisible wall.

I have also ran into a ton of places where you cannot shoot through fences and stuff. Frustrating.

Deadly Cyclone said:
One huge thing that makes me angry that I found last night was that there are invisible walls around every item. I was trying to snipe while peeking out around a barrel and was aiming 6" to the left of it and was still hitting an invisible wall.

I have also ran into a ton of places where you cannot shoot through fences and stuff. Frustrating.
To say the least. I don't remember this being the case in Killzone 2.

nib95

Banned
G Rom said:

Beautiful shots G Rom, though I think they'd be more impressive from the regular in-game rifle in sight view.

About the captures, appreciate the settings are default. But something is definitely off. I'm sure most sites just capture at default settings too. So not sure why yours show so much more black crush. Like I siad, I'm using a professionally calibrated Kuro (one of the most accurate screens in the world) with the game at default settings and whilst there is minor crush and overt contrast (nature of the art direction), it's not quite as much as your captures. Out of curiosity what capture card are you using?

Very curious. Thanks for the continually posting more though! Gorgeous environment shots.

-viper-

Banned
And to think some people were arguing about the visuals of the game.

I haven't got the game yet, but holy shit at the screens. It CLEARLY looks like the best console game out there.

Direct feed screenshots have never looked better.

Stoffinator

Tence said:
Anyone same problems?

I've had some balancing issues, but never that big of a difference. Its usually like 7 vs 4 or something. But I do find the matching is good at getting people with in my rank.

Top Bottom